Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: K FI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: That a good goal to your Amy Kay.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Monday, October seventh.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. So it was gonna be such a great day. By the way, I hope you had a great weekend. We're listening to Todd Light's voice right there. But unfortunately last night Todd Light was saying, ladies and gentlemen, please be advised if you throw objects onto the field, will be ejected. Dodger fans got a little out of control. Maybe they were a little grumpy. It's kind of a tough game, ouch. But Saturday night was so cool. We got to go to the first game on Saturday night Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 4: The crowd was out of control.
Speaker 1: It was just a sea of white and blue and you know, some ups brown two. But it was so much fun and very excited. We got to see Brad Pitt. You know what he is a He's just a fine specimen. He is adorable. So and some other people were there too, But the crowd was great, the game was great. We were so looking forward to last night and then yikes, but it's a good day for a producer and because she's a Padres fan, so game three is tomorrow night. Also, something that happened at the game that just always good to me because you know that if you go to Dodger Stadium you can get nice, inexpensive seats, but everything at the stadium is pretty expensive.
Speaker 4: Like beer.
Speaker 1: Beer is like eighteen dollars for one of those big beers now, and that come in in the cans. I literally go to the cooler, pick out my beer myself, take it up to the counter, and hit the the pay button with my credit card, and they ask if I want to tip them. I'm like, for what, I pulled the beer out of the You didn't even go and reach into the cooler to get it for me. I don't like that tipping thing. I don't mind tips. Again, when you get great service, you should get great tips. But when there's no service, there's nothing required of you, it just makes me so grumpy. I don't know how you guys feel about that, but I just think tipping is getting out of control. Okay, onto bigger and better things, because we got a lot going on today.
Speaker 4: So here's what's ahead on wake up Call.
Speaker 1: One person has been arrested for spray painting Free Palestine on LAPD headquarters during the pro Palestinian rally and Pershing Square. About a thousand people called for the US to end its support of Israel at the rally yesterday. The Hamas run Gaza Health Ministry says more than forty one thousand Palestinians have been killed since the October seventh attacks on Israel.
Speaker 4: Of course, that was one year ago.
Speaker 1: Today, we're going to get the latest from Israel with ABC's Jordonna Miller coming up at five twenty. Elon Musk's SpaceX and t Mobile have been given the go ahead to enable Starlink satellites with direct to sell capabilities. The FCC says it allowed the move to provide coverage for cell phones and areas in North Carolina that have been devastated by Hurricane Helene. We're going to get the latest on Hurricane Helene relief efforts and what's coming next with ABC's Jim Ryan.
Speaker 4: That's coming up in just a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Padres clauberd the Dodgers ten to two at Dodger Stadium following a big Dodgers win in Game one.
Speaker 4: The series is now tied at one game apiece.
Speaker 1: As action shifts to San Diego, it's National fire Prevention Week, so we're going to be talking smoke alarms and how to keep your family safe. Going to be good information that's coming up at right before the top of the hour. And also Governor Newsom has signed a law that target it's rat poisons that have been killing a lot more than rats. We're going to be talking about that coming up at the bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Events are being held in La to mark the one year anniversary of the attack on Israel by Hamas. Hundreds of people attended a ceremony and candbell lighting last night at the Museum of Tolerance. CEO Jim Burk says people from different religions were at.
Speaker 4: The service is.
Speaker 5: Really to celebrate the strength of our community, the fact that no matter what is thrown towards us, we will persevere.
Speaker 1: Events today include an Israeli flag in installation in Beverly Hills and a rally tonight at Grand Park in downtown La Air raid sirens rang out in Haipha last night as Hesbala launched rockets into Israel. At least when rocket hit a restaurant in a building in the port city of Haifa. It's not clear how many people were hurt. Israel intensified its attacks into northern Gaza and southern Lebanon over the weekend. Florida is getting ready for what's expected to be another major storm. Hurricane Milton became a Category three storm this morning in the Gulf of Mexico.
Speaker 4: It's headed toward Florida's west coast.
Speaker 1: FEMA administrator Dean Chriswell says the agency is ready, sending resources into the state and coordinating with local officials.
Speaker 3: We're working with.
Speaker 1: The stadiu C to understand what their requirements are going to be so we can have those in place before it makes landfall that's expected to happen Wednesday night. Chriswell also says claims that FEMA money has been diverted to help illegal immigrants are false. She says the claims are demoralizing aid workers and creating fear in people who need recovery assistance. FEMA has a pool of money just for natural disasters. House speaker Mike Johnson says it's true that FEMA has several separate funding pools, but he says he understands why Americans are frustrated. Johnson told Fox News yesterday that FEMA's mission is to help people in times of natural disaster, not be engaged in resettling illegal immigrants who come across the border. He says the government response to Hurricane Helene has been a failure. Secretary of Homelands Security Alejandro Mayorcis raised concerns last week when he said FEMA didn't have enough funding to make it through hurricane season, which typically ends in November. It's five oh eight on your Monday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, you've been covering Hurricane Helene, and hopefully the one consolation for the people who've had their houses absolutely destroyed is that the insurance is going to cover the losses.
Speaker 6: Or will it Well, probably not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's no good.
Speaker 6: No, it depends upon the kind of damage those people suffered, and of course Once Hurricane Helen came ashore there in the Florida Big Bend region, it began to weaken quickly, so it wasn't really a wind event by the time it reached the Carolinas up into Georgia and into Tennessee. It was a rain event, just a deluge of rent. And of course it had been raining there for some time anyway, and that's why we had so much flooding there that unfortunately, people in western North Carolina don't have floodings surance state, don't even think about it. I saw someone quoted yesterday somebody in North Carolina saying, you know, the people of western North Carolina expect flooding the way that people of Florida expect a bliget. It just doesn't happen. The thinking is that something like only two point five percent of homeowners in that part of the country have flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. The national average is only four percent. Then, of course, more and more people are moving forward the shoreline and exposing themselves to the kind of risk that we're seeing right now with this really horrific hurricane season.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what do they do?
Speaker 6: Well? Unfortunately, they eat the loss, or they pack up and move away. I know after Hurricane Katrina is something like forty percent of the population never came back. People just moved away and didn't return. And you know, still trying to rebuild from that hurricane in Orleans after Katrina twenty five, twenty and so this is going to be a long recovery process. And unfortunately a lot of people, if they didn't have insurance, they won't be able to rebuild, at least not where they were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've been watching and seeing a lot of the interviews with the people.
Speaker 4: The one good thing is that there are the helpers.
Speaker 1: You know, the communities are coming together and they're like, hey, there's like a guy who owns a restaurant and he goes, we're just getting cooks and dishwashers and stuff who are just sitting there because they don't have anything to do, and saying, let's feed people. And so they're coming together and then they're hanging out water and they're helping. They're saying, we're not waiting, we're trying to put our lives back together. But like you said, it's not like it's an affluent area either.
Speaker 6: No, it isn't you know, Ashville, there's probably the wealthiest of that area out there, and you're right, it's not the richest part of the country. At Appalachia's have some of the lowest income rates in the entire nation. And of course now we're watching this news storm. Just got to note a couple of minutes ago, Milton isn't even stronger. Category three hurricane wins one hundred and twenty five miles per hour, and it still has seven hundred miles to go across the Gulf of Mexico to get to Tampa, where it's anticipated landfall will happened Wednesday night. That's a lot of strengthening that it's going to undergo over the next two days.
Speaker 1: How are they getting so strong so fast? What fuels these storms like this.
Speaker 6: The Gulf of Mexico and it's extremely warm right now. That warm water creates the perfect environment. It's like jet fuel for these storms, and so as they whirl around out there. This one, it came out of the Caribbean just two days ago and now has exploded into this horrific Category three storm with the chance or even the likelihood of strengthening even more. So, you know that we focus so much on western North Carolina and after Hurricane Helene. But remember that as Helene was making its way north through the Gulf, it was tearing up and creating storm surge along the western to Florida. So they're still dealing with that situation in Tampa and now this Milton, the storm called Milton, is headed directly toward them.
Speaker 4: Is it going to hit the same place.
Speaker 6: Well, it's gonna hit the it's gonna hit the Tampa area. It's not going to move up toward the big band area where the land. Yeah, okay, But so it's a give and take because the big band area where Helene came ashore is not as heavily populated as Tampa is, of course, and Tampa did have storm surge damage from Ellen. And now this this new Hurricane Milton, I mean it's got it's later be directly on Tampa Bay.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And this one is scary too, because a lot of times when those storms are forming and they're moving around, they're like, well, it might not hit, it might change tech.
Speaker 4: And this one looks like it's just taken aim at Florida.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really does. And again, I mean it's got a couple of days to do what it's going to do. But all indications right now the steering currents and the patterns have it moving directly out toward the Florida Panhandle.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we'll be watching it. Thank you so much, Jim Ryan, and appreciate it so yamy. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A shakey wake up for Ontario residents as a four point zero quake rumbled through the area three point fifty one a m.
Speaker 4: Yesterday.
Speaker 1: The US Geological Survey says a shaking could be felt as far away as La Culver City and Santa Monica. At least two small aftershocks rattled the same area. I didn't feel a thing. A Santa Monica police officer stabbed outside the station has been sent home from the hospital. The officer was getting information about a crime on Saturday afternoon when a man walked up and confronted him. Police say the officer told the man he just needed to wait, and that's when he pulled out a knife and attacked the officer. Officials say the guy kept slashing and stabbing the officer, who tried to get away. That's when the shooting happened. The man with the knife was killed. A man suspected of starting a brushfire in Lake Forest has been arrested. The Orange County Fire Authority says the fire yesterday was in the area of Portolo and Rancho Parkways crews were able to keep it under three acres. A suspected arsonist in Palmdale's been arrested after he barricaded himself inside an apartment. The guy allegedly set a neighbor's car on fire Saturday night and tried to set another car on fire early yesterday. La County Sheriff's deputies were called when the man returned home a few hours later. The standoff ended at about eleven last night. Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Walls will be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight. The Minnesota governor started a three day, three day West Coast campaign swing, with fundraising receptions in San Diego and Montecito yesterday. It'll be in Seattle and Sacramento tomorrow. A restaurant in Silver Lake is a step closer to being named an historical cultural monument in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Astro Family restaurant has operated on Fletcher Drive for fifty years, but its building dates to nineteen fifty eight. LA Cultural Heritage Commission Chairman Barry Malofsky says the Googie style building, with its sharp angled walls and roof and nearly original interior, belongs on the list.
Speaker 1: I think it's important as a landmark in Silver Lake and as an example of a Googie style in the city.
Speaker 2: It's The Commission approved Astro's nomination in July, and the City Council's Planning Committee gave the oka last week. The full city Council will vote on the landmark status tomorrow. In downtown La, Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 4: I love that restaurant. It's such a cute little dive diner, so fun. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, and it deserves that recognition. It's actually very cool.
Speaker 4: It's one of an old diner.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it's been there for forever, and they have pictures of La from like one hundred years ago, when the hills that are now covered with houses were just hills.
Speaker 4: It's so weird to see, but very cool to take the look back.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you realize this, but Mondays can literally wreck your weekend.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people who actually dread Mondays.
Speaker 1: There's a new pullout that finds the average American experiences what they call the Sunday Scaries thirty six times a year, so a majority of Sundays people get the Sunday Scaries. They did a survey of two thousand adults and found that people feel anxiety or dread over what to expect over the following week. They say that their Sundays are harder to enjoy because of the thought of the new work or school week. There's stress about what they need to get done during the week, what they need to get done before the week starts, and uncertainty about how the week will go. And when does this dread set in. You might be familiar with it three point fifty four pm on Sunday afternoons. So next Sunday, when you start to feel anxious, just know it's the Sunday Scaries and you're going to be just fine. The fire that started in Tribuco Canyon a month ago and burned more than twenty three and a half thousand acres in Orange and Riverside Counties that destroyed more than one hundred homes is now one hundred percent surrounded. Ah Finally, full containment was declared late Saturday night. The fire in the San Bernardino Mountains is eighty percent surrounded. There are still some evacuation orders and warnings in place. The fire in the San Gabriel Mountains is at ninety nine percent containment and could be fully contained by today.
Speaker 4: Both former President Trump and.
Speaker 1: Vice President Harris are set to speak today on the one year anniversary of the Hamas terrorist attacks on Israel.
Speaker 4: Harris is in DC.
Speaker 1: She's going to be planning a memorial tree on the grounds of the Vice President's house. Trump is holding a remembrance at his golf course in Florida, and President Biden will also mark the anniversary with an event at the White House. Lebron's James and his son Brownie have made NBA history by becoming the first father son duo to play together. During the Lakers preseason game against Phoenix, the Lakers lost it one to eighteen one fourteen.
Speaker 4: Still ruling from Helene.
Speaker 1: Florida is now bracing for Milton, which is getting stronger. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Jeordia A.
Speaker 4: Miller. Jordana.
Speaker 1: It's the one year anniversary and over the weekend hesbela fire of rockets into Israel, this time hitting something in Haipha.
Speaker 4: What was what happened there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was late last night. Has walafired on Haifa and Tiberius. A couple of people lightly injured, damaged a building, you know, not not a major hit, but remember every time his qualifiers, Israel will either shoot down the incoming missiles or drones, or if they're headed towards an unpopulated area, they will crash down. Sometimes they make it through the radar system, especially the drones. But it wasn't a major hit. The focus really today is on the one year anniversary of the war of October seventh, and I can tell you it's just such a somber mood here in Israe. Well, you know, how do you mark a war that's not finished, that is expanding, that still Hamas is holding ninety seven hostages. I mean it's an open wound really, and so it just feels like a lot of grief today and still anxiety about you know, what's coming, and you know, for me personally also, I feel that I'm reliving some of the shock of what happened on October seventh. As the day goes on and I remember what I was doing, and the clips that have now become kind of a conic, iconic or showing up again on all of all of these Reeli you know, TV programs and you're hearing stuff on the radio again, and it's it's like being right back there and.
Speaker 4: Pretty traumatic for everybody who's living there.
Speaker 7: It is, Yeah, it is. I mean, I think there's still a lot of trauma and is a lot of shocks still. First of all, that there could have been such a grave error and judgment about Hamas. I mean, now we can see the real difference between an enemy that Israel recognizes and plans meticulously to fight one day Allah Hsbalah the Northern Front, and we've seen Israel there take step after steps, strategic move moves based on intel. You know, they're on the offense and they are really hitting Hasbala hard versus what happened in the South when Israel got it all wrong and they didn't realize Hamas was a formidable enemy, that they had real intentions, that they had real capabilities, you know, rockets and a vast tunnel network and a smuggling network. Right, They just they missed the real threat coming from the south, and therefore they didn't track it, they didn't prepare for it, and they were caught completely off guard. And I think there's still a lot of shock about that. Even though the Israeli Army has really from that huge failure. They have really risen from the Ashes in a sense, and they've pummeled Hamas in the Gaza strip and they have the upper hand there on the battlefield, but they have not defeated Hamas yet. Right, there's still pockets of insurgents fighting. Hamas fired fifteen rockets today. They're trying to show they can still fire on Israel. You know, for the uninitiated, that sounds like a lot. But just as a reminder, Hamas fired over four thousand rockets on October seventh last year. Then they continued to fire hundreds of rockets every day for weeks. So today fifteen. It's not a lot, not not something to brag about.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I watched that. Have you watched the documentary We Will Dance Again.
Speaker 7: I've read a lot about it and I have not watched it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it.
Speaker 1: Was very very I mean, it's so hard to watch, but very also horrifying and but informative as well. Like you're talking about the misses of the Israeli army. They they breached the fence between Gauza and Israel in sixty different places, and they had so I mean, think about it, and they had like you said, the rockets, like they were showing video of just these rockets just firing off.
Speaker 4: I'm like, where are they coming from? Where are they going?
Speaker 1: And the people who were at this Nova music festival were like, oh, maybe it's fireworks.
Speaker 4: Wait, that's not fireworks. And then they were like, I mean, it's just right.
Speaker 7: Or they were like right, or they thought, oh it's one or two. We're used to it, we're in the south. But yeah, right, it was. It was you know Israel. Actually, in the early months after the war started, the assessment was that Hamas broke through twenty five areas. Then it turns out the numbers were much higher. As you said, about sixty. They blew up and drove through and busted through sixty spots, and then the initial estimate was that about twenty twenty five hundred Hamas fighters terrorists came over. The number is actually over five thousand, right, and the rocket fire was much higher, right now, we know it was about forty three hundred by the end of October seventh, right, So, and they attacked about twenty five different Israeli communities and a few bases.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: So this was you know Hamas tried to say in the beginning, Oh, you know, there was some riff raff that came in and you know they did things we didn't plan, I mean the farther from the truth. Yeah, yeah, absolutely. And now you know, for me, especially also as a woman, you know, I've had a tough time dealing with the people who deny the rape and the sexual assault. And I can tell you today there was somebody who testified in Parliament today this morning. You know, the survivors of the Nova festival, since you were talking about we will dance again. The survivors from that festival and some of the hostages taken at the festival, they are the you know, the most moving witnesses and emotional witnesses of the rape. You know, this young woman today saying she heard women screaming no, no, no, no, and screaming and screaming for you know, what she said felt like an hour. Yeah, it was probably less time than that, but then she also heard then silence because they were shot and killed after they were raped.
Speaker 4: So horrific. So yeah, it's important that we market. I'm sorry that you have to like relive this.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's far away from for us, but not so far away when you think, you know, we just you never know what's being planned, and it's just horrific.
Speaker 4: It's just awful.
Speaker 1: So but we'll pray for peace and see what happens next. Jordanah Miller, thank you so much. I can't believe we've been talking about this for a year.
Speaker 4: Now, me either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're going to continue to talk about it because it's important. Yeah, right, Thanks Jordana, We'll talk to you soon. With twenty nine days left until the election, ballots in California are being mailed out starting today. Voters can send ballots back in the postage paid return envelope or drop them off at a polling place. A list of locations will be included in the packet, along with instructions, and then an I voted sticker. Emirates Airline has banned walkie talkies and pagers on flights after hundreds of walkie talkies carried by Hesbela members exploded in Lebanon. The Dubai based airline has also canceled flights to and from Beirut until October fifteenth. Several other airlines have suspended flights to Beirut and other regional airports amid heightened tensions in the Middle East. On this one year anniversary of the Hamas attack, the first Monday in October marks the traditional start of the Supreme Court season. The justices are going to be reviewing several high profile cases this season, including whether the Biden administration can crack down on ghost guns, whether Tennessee can ban gender altering care for miners, and whether porn websites will be required to verify the ages of users. At six poh five, it is handle on the news Elon Musk to the Rescue. Starlink is linking up to help hurricane victims get connected again. Let's say good morning now to SO Jonathan Evans, who is the long title Environmental Health Legal Director and Senior Attorney for the Center for Biological Diversity.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Jonathan, Good morning.
Speaker 7: SO.
Speaker 1: Governor Newsom has signed a first in the nation law that restricts the use of blood thinning rat poison. So before we talked about how the law is going to work moving forward, I want to back up a little bit. Can you tell us how long these rat poisons have been around, what they do, and why the band because they do actually kill rats.
Speaker 3: They do kill rats, but they also unintentionally kill a lot of other things, a lot of upper level predators that are higher in the foy chain to eat these rats and mice, and these products have been on the market in California and throughout the US for decades. Most people don't realize that when they have a rodent problem and go to the store to buy a rat poison or call an extermator to use rat poison, so it can have a horrible effect on wildlife and even pose a risk to their pets and family. That's because, as we talked about, these rat poisons don't just harm rodents, they can actually unintentionally poison other living things to consume the poison or the poison rodents, and this issue is widespread, from bald eagles and barnels to black bears and bobcats. Redenticides are poisoning and killing wildlife. So restrictions on these blood fitting rat poisons, also known as anti coagulant predenticides, help prevent slow, painful poisonings that literally cause animals to bleed to death from the inside out and also lead to other host of issues like disease and organ failure. Wildlife just becomes so sick that they are unable to find the food or other predators or to avoid predators, and these blood fitting rat poisons are one of the main factors that are driving mountain lions in southern California to extinction. And we all remember the iconic Griffith Park mountain line p. Twenty two that was exposed to redenticide that contributed to mange, leading to ill health and eventual death. And data from the California Department of Fishing, Wildlife and Research specialists have found that over ninety five percent of mountain lions that are tested in California have been exposed to these anacauaigon ormergenticides. So it's crucial to get them out of a food chain. And the Poison Free Wildlife Act, which is what Governor Newsom signed, is now the third bill that we at the Center for Biological Diversity of work to pass in the past four years that past four years. That places restrictions on all of the bloodbending rat poisons in California. So we really are doing taking great steps to get these off the market from consumers and residential uses. There are exceptions for agriculture and public health, but we really takes it. It goes a long way to get the mopic store shelves for consumers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Jonathan, I want to just dig a little deeper on that so that it's not Mountain lions aren't eating rats right.
Speaker 3: Now mountainin span, but they also will eat coyotes, and the coyotes will eat the rats and the mice they can eat bobcats. Bobcats are widely exposed at the same level as mountain lions. But these things bio accumulate as they get in the food chain and they become even more powerful. So some of these products they're called one feet killed blood center. So essentially the rat or mouth will go back and eat it once, and they only need to eat it once in order to get to a lethal dose. But because they're slow acting, the rats and mice go back over a couple of days and eat more and more and they become you know, these super toxic organisms and they essentially just get way up in the food chain. So yeah, it's not typically the prime the bobcats in the mountain lions aren't eating the rat poison themselves, but that leaves the rats and the mice that do that then give.
Speaker 6: Up in the food chain.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there a different kind of poison that could be used instead of this anti coagulant.
Speaker 3: There are a range of other red enticides that are that are neurotoxins or other types of lethal poisons. But you know, we really discourage people from using rat poisons because there's no reason to leave some of these poisons on the market when there are safe, cost effective options that are ready to readily available that don't kill wildlife or other effective ways.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Oh, I was just going to say, let's talk about those, because of course killing the rat.
Speaker 1: Rats are a huge problem or they can become I mean they you know, they spread the plague, right, so we can't poison them, But how are we going to keep the rats from taking over?
Speaker 3: Because yeah, the rats and mice can be a substantial public health threat, and there are a range of effective ways to manage road infestations that don't involve toxic rat poisons. So among the most important are exclusion and sanitation. There are other fertility controls and a variety of the old standard rat you know snap traps or electric traps that work very effectively. Rats and mice are in your home because there are gaps in the in the structure. They're coming in for food and water. If you're able to steal them out, then you're able to get rid of a lot of that public health threat. So calling road and exclusion specialists and pest control specialists who can provide screening and seal up those gaps is absolutely critical. Getting rid of dog food that you're leading outside or water that's drawing the mice and rats, and it's crucial good that they're if you're leaving your garbage can open, they're going to come every night. So you can't you can't poison your way out of that problem. So killing rodents that end up poisoning wildlife with poisons actually runs contrary to to solving the problem. If we use these poisons, we poison the very best solutions to road control, which are wildlife okay, And.
Speaker 1: Then when you look at the whole circle of life thing, I mean that even rats are and mice are part of the food chain, so other predators do need them for food.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when you when you have these natural predators eating, you know, bobcats, and when you have the coyrites and everything out there in the wild areas of the hills of southern California, you don't really see these high rodent populations. So they're really the wildlife are doing their job. It's where we're really feeding them in the natural urban areas where we're not really being sanitary and we're not excluding And now is where it.
Speaker 4: Becomes a problem, see humans just cause all kinds of problems.
Speaker 1: When does the band go into affect, Jonathan, is it now?
Speaker 3: It goes into effect in January first, twenty twenty five, But some of the restrictions on other anti cowaigulants are already in effect. So this final Build a Poison three Wildlife Act will create restrictions now on all the rap bloodting wrap poisons in California, and we hope that the data really shows that it can have a dramatic effect in protecting California's wildlife in the future.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 1: We want healthy animal populations and if people want to get more information about this or other ways that they can safely protect their homes against the rats getting in and that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: Is there a place to go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there a website Safe Roadentcontrol dot org has a good information on resources and what to use. Also, Raptors are the Solution is one of our partners and sponsors on the bill and they have a host of different solutions on raptors so dot org that will help you find a safer protections for rodents in your home and your oards.
Speaker 4: I like the idea of the raptors.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jonathan Evans, thank you so much for the information and this helps us understand this a lot better. And I know that, like you said, we need a healthy animal population and we hated to see what happened to p twenty two and hopefully we can stop some of that from happening in the future.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: All Right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Drivers in two cities in the Inland Empire have been ranked as some of the worst in America.
Speaker 8: That's according to Consumer Affairs Now. The report looked at the latest available information from the US Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. That data compared the rates of crashes with factors such as bad driving, DUI citations, and speeding. Victorville scored sixty four that ranked them the second worst drivers in the country. The report says that it's in part due to the high number of traffic deaths involving alcohol. Sam Bernardino placed fourth. The report says that city had the highest rate of fatalities involving duys. Andrew Caravella KFI News.
Speaker 1: The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to Americans Victor Ambrose and Gary Rufkin for their discovery of micro rna. That's tiny pieces of genetic material that can alter how genes work at the cellular level and could lead to new ways to treat cancer. Joker Fully a d'u was a bit of a dud, but still won the box office in its opening weekend.
Speaker 4: It made a lot less than we projected.
Speaker 1: The Joaquin Phoenix sequel that also stars Lady Gaga, earned forty million dollars in its opening. The animated Wild Robot finished second Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice was third. The Dodgers travel to San Diego for Game three of the National League Division Series. They'll be taken on the Padres tomorrow night. First pitch goes out at six. You can listen to the game on five to seventy LA Sports and NHD on the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five seven seventy LA Sports powered by Zenshi Sushi, Fast, Fresh and easy. Come on, Dodgers, you got this. Police are on high alert as several events around La mark the one year anniversary of the massacre on Israel in which more than twelve hundred people were killed. More than two hundred hostages were taken back into Gaza. Beverly Hills is holding in his Israel flag installation at six this morning. At six pm, hundreds of people are expected to attend to rally at Grand Park in downtown LA, and excessive heat warning remains in effect until eight tonight. In Riverside Counties, temperatures are expected to hit triple digits again. Downtown Riverside was at one o one yesterday. It was one ten in Palm Springs. Forecasters say temperatures are going to cool down about five to ten degrees. Tomorrow, a big Mac with no beef is about to hit McDonald's. Instead of two all beef patties, it's going to have two Tempora fried chicken patties. The chicken big Mac will be available starting October tenth.
Speaker 8: Where is that?
Speaker 1: Friday, seven, eight, nine, ten, Thursday. Just to count it out, we're minutes away from handle on the news this morning, Scots back in action. It's the verse Monday in October. What's on the docket this Supreme Court season? Right now, let's say good morning to the National Fire Protection Association's Susan McKelvie.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Susan, Good morning, so Susan.
Speaker 1: Every year we have stories about house fires that tragically end up taking lives, and many times, after the flames are out and the investigation is done, we find out that there were no smoking there were no working smoke detectors in the home, which brings us to this week, which is National Fire Prevention Week.
Speaker 5: That's right, you hit the nail on the head.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: We know that the majority of home fire deaths in the US occur in homes where there are no alarms or no working alarms, and those are tragic losses, especially because we know smoke alarms are so effective at a people in time to fire and getting out safely, which is why we're really pushing for this year's campaign a focus on smoke alarms, the importance that they're playing your safety at home, and what you can do to make sure that they're working properly.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, it seems like everyone should know all of this by now, but it's apparent that that's not the case. So we're going to go over the basics. So it's a refresher course for all of us. First of all, how many smoke detectors should we have in our homes?
Speaker 4: Where should they be?
Speaker 5: So you should have at least one alarm on every level of your home. You also want one in each bedroom. Sometimes people aren't aware of that that you definitely want an alarm in each bedroom and near all sleeping areas.
Speaker 4: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: I know that in my apartment there is a smoke detector that is out of my reach.
Speaker 4: It's up on a ceiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so, and I know that you had said that you should test them on a regular basis.
Speaker 4: What if you can't reach it, you just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So a couple a couple of things you can do. One, if you have a ladder, than great. You want to use it safely, but you could use the ladder. The other thing is you can find something like a broomstick, or if they're really high feelings, it might not work, but if you have it, maybe like the a spoon, like a mixing spoon, you use the stick end of the spoon to test it. But anything that can really just reach the test button, they're pretty easy to test that way, so that's probably your best bet. But you do need to find a way to make sure that you are testing them regularly and that they are working okay.
Speaker 1: And then we're coming up on daylight or the end of daylight saving time, and we always do that reminder check your or change your clocks and change your batteries.
Speaker 4: That's still in effect, so.
Speaker 5: It's interesting so that traditionally that was always the message, but things have shifted a little bit now. So some alarms still use traditional batteries and then you can certainly change the battery once a year, but a lot of newer alarms use tenure battery, so it's not necessary to replace them that way. So now the rule of someb is listen for the alarm chirping. It's one chirp every thirty to sixty seconds, and that signals that the alarm of the battery rather is running low, and that's the time to replace them.
Speaker 1: Susan, I have to tell you that in my experience, I don't know if you guys have had this too, that chirping already starts at about one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 5: It never fails.
Speaker 1: Everybody in this in our room is nodding right now because that's that's when it starts. So once the chirping starts, is there a way to stop it until you can replace the battery if it does go off in the middle of the night, or do you just need to suck it up and get up and change the battery in the middle of.
Speaker 5: The bat well, it won't stop you know what. They won't stop it until you take them out and replace them.
Speaker 3: So that's your best bet.
Speaker 5: And really, you know, knowing the risks that are presented when you don't replace them promptly, and.
Speaker 1: It's easy to just say I'll.
Speaker 5: Do it in the morning, and then the morning just buy them a know, a week or two just by and you just don't want that to happen, so you know, get on top of it while it's chirping and driving you crazy. And it's doing that for a reason because they really want you getting a new battery, and they're making sure that the alarm is actually working and ready to protect you.
Speaker 1: Okay, And just we know that smoke alarms do we call them fire alarms now or do you still call them.
Speaker 5: The smoke alarms? Hire alarms are for larger systems, okay.
Speaker 1: And it's fire prevention week, so it's a good reminder that now's the time to make sure that your house and your home is safe against fire. And where can they get more information if they want to do like come together with a fire escape plan or something like that, where can they get more information?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we have a website with a bunch of information. It's at FPW dot org. Lots of information on installing your alarms, properly testing them, maintaining them, along with a lot of information on developing home escape plans so that once you have your alarms in place, you're ready to go if in fact there is a fire in your home. The escape planning is the other essential part of staying safe from firing your.
Speaker 1: Home and Fire Prevention Week is a great time to do that planning.
Speaker 4: Susan mclby or McKelvey, thank you so much for your time. Appreciate it, you bet, thanks so much. All right, have a great day.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Six people have been arrested in connection with a flash mob style robbery at Westfield to Panga Mall in Canoga Park. Two of those busted are teenagers. Dozens of people in masks and hoodies hit the stores on Friday afternoon and stole more than ninety thousand dollars worth of stuff in just a couple of minutes. Five of the people arrested were in a car spotted in La hours after the theft. The sixth person was caught while driving in Huntington Beach. Please say they found stolen things in the woman's car. Milton has become a Category three hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico as it heads toward Florida's west coast.
Speaker 8: You're not going to be able to be told with one hundred degree certainty where this storm is going to go.
Speaker 1: Governor Ron de Santis has put his state's Gulf coast under a storm surge watch. The storm's expected to make landfall around Tampa Bay on Wednesday night. DeSantis says Cruz have been working around the clock removed debris from Hurricane Helene in vulnerable areas. He says, ambulances are ready to assist healthcare facilities, and officials are coordinating flood protection systems for critical infrastructure throughout counties like Hillsboro and Manatee. Three more California Tasks forces have been activated to assist with Hurricane Milton. About some of the one hundred and seventy two Search and Rescue members have already been based there along the North Carolina and South Carolina areas to assist in areas that were ravaged by Hurricane Helen. And the teams are from La Orange County, riverside, San Diego, Oakland, and Sacramento. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call for Monday morning, and if you missed any of wake up call from today or any day, you can listen any time on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King, You can always hear Wake Up Up Called five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.