Speaker 1: It's nice und Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Before we get back to callers here, I just want to mention that tomorrow night, I'm going to have an extraordinary guest on at ten o'clock. And again, guests when we schedule I think all of you know that the rules of nightside if there is a breaking news story of some significance or international import we sometimes have to reschedule guests. We don't schedule a lot of guests in advance. We probably should schedule more. But this is a guest, and I'm going to tell you why he's extraordinary. I'm holding in my hand a book which is the authorized yet unauthorized biography of Alan Dershwitz. It's called Legal Gladiator, The Life of Alan Dershwitz. It's written by a man named Solomon Schmidt. We'll talk about this tomorrow night at great length. Dershowitz has had an amazing life. Obviously, at different times he was really scorned by people on the right and now he's scorned by many former friends on the left. He is a brilliant person, Alan Dershowitz, and this author has written a book that is it's an amazing work. He'll tell his story tomorrow night. The book itself is about three hundred and fifty pages long, so you can you can envision a you know, this is this is a this is a biography and Dershowitz, Professor Dershwitz complied and sat for many interviews, and we'll talk about this the process of how this man came to write Dershowitz's biography. And again I call it an authorized unauthorized by oography or an unauthorized autograph authorized biography, meaning, Uh, all of the cooperation that Alan Derschwitz gave to Solomon Schmidt is extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the amount of detail about Dershwitz's life is extraordinary. But here's the kicker. The book has about one hundred pages of footnotes, both you know, written footnotes, video footnotes, interviews, everything is here uh in this book. Uh. He's interviewed. The author has interviewed, amongst others, a Supreme Court Justice Stephen Fryar, Harvey Silverglad, who, of course all of us know interviewed and you know Allen family members, Jamie Rashkin Raskin, who is a Congressman from Maryland, Jared Kushner, the son in law of uh uh former President Trump O, J Simpson, I mean Mike Pompeo, Uh, Jeffrey Tubin, Donald Trump. Uh. This this writer dug deep, very deep, on and on and on, Robert F. Kennedy, Mike Huckabee, Joel Klein, Robert Shapiro, as I mentioned, Harvey Silverglade, Elliot Spitzer, the former governor of New York, on and on and on. And what makes it all the more amazing is the author is twenty one years of age, and it's you're gonna You're gonna meet a very interesting person. He actually left college in order to write this book, and he will be with us tomorrow night at ten o'clock, at ten o'clock. Tonight at nine o'clock, I mentioned, and we sort of went off a bit of a tangent, but I think it's important. I mentioned that the state of American newspapers as epitomized by the Boston Globe. For those of you around the country who are unfamiliar with the Boston Globe, it is the newspaper of record in New England. There's no question about it. I'm a subscriber to the Boston Globe. As a matter of fact, the story we just completed dealing with the Chinese marijuana plot farms up in Maine, some three hundred plot farms that are producing marijuana illegally with illegal pesticides, and a lot of people are buying pot on what would be the black market, because marijuana is legal in Maine. If you want to smoke, all you have to do is go to a marijuana store, whether it's for medicinal or recreational purposes. So so, I read the Globe very carefully every day, and there parts of the Globe that I feel differently about. But I'm I'm a proud subscriber of the Boston Globe. The sports page, I love, editorial page. Not so happy with the editorial page. But there's my friend Jeff Jacolby's who is on there. Scott Lehi, who I agree with sometimes disagree with other times, does a great job crime reporting. Shelley Murphy. I mean, it's it's it's a it's a I can't say it's a great American newspaper, but it's a good, solid American newspaper. But right now I'm beginning to wonder if the Globe has decided it is time to leave the stage. It is no longer printed as it was printed for many years in Boston. It's printed in taunting as I understand it, which I guess helps some areas of its circular hurts other areas. But two of the last three Sundays, there's no globe that I look forward to more than the Sunday Globe. And we talked about this at nine and I'd love to throw it out there again. And we also can talk about the other Globe story that I want to talk about today, which is the mcast the poor performance on MCAST scores. We'll get to that. But if you are a New Englander, probably at some point in your life, you look forward to the Sunday newspapers, and specifically the Globe in the Herald, but specifically the Globe. For me is a paper that I want to hold in my hand. Two of the last three Sundays, my Globe never was delivered. Now to me, that is a mortal sin in my opinion. Okay, because I've been a subscriber to the Globe for a long long time, a long long time, my money has supported the Globe. I have a lot of friends who work at the Globe. I know friends of mine say, well, how can you like the Globe. They're crazy left wing paper. You know, they're a liberal newspaper. They're a liberal newspaper. They have some columnists who are pretty far left. I'll give you that, But I like to know what different points of view are. Believe it at different at different times. But you can't figure out what the points of view are if the newspaper that you pay for is supposed to be delivered to your in my case of driveway, not a front door driveway, it's not delivered. And so that's happened to me two of the last three Sundays. And oh yeah, there was one Monday where I got didn't get a Globe. I got a local newspaper, which has of little value to me. I want my Globe, and I've been so frustrated. You call the Globe and you want to get your paper delivered to you, particularly on a Sunday. Now, if you miss a weekday newspaper, most people have to go to work. But when you miss your Sunday newspaper, which which I look at that as an opportunity to really sit an absorbing newspaper, to enjoy the newspaper, Sunday breakfast, whatever else you want to do that day. It kind of sets the tone for what Sunday is for me. It's a day of rest. So you have the Globe. You try to call them and talk to a human being, and they want to put you into this automated phone system. And sometimes occasionally you can buy by persisting and hitting operator or saying I want to speak to a human sometimes sometimes not often, but sometimes you get a human being. And the human being is an either Tucson, Arizona or Phoenix, Arizona. They certainly not Bostonians, They're not New Englanders. I get it. Why the Globe does this. I guess the Globe used to outsource this to the Philippines that they got some heat from me and from others. Now they outsource it. And you say, well, look, can you give me the phone number of my carrier. I'd like to call my local carrier. Maybe I can go by and pick up my newspaper. They won't do that. They won't do that, And as they say, in my opinion, I think the Globe is basically giving up the ghost. Slowly but surely. The subscriptions are down. I get it. They're trying to survive somehow digitally. I don't think that's going to work for them any more than it's worked for a lot of newspapers and news magazines that have gone digital. They digest a slower death. So if you've had problems with deliveries, and if more importantly, if you've had problems trying to reach a human being, Okay, that's one of the big problems in this country right now. You cannot be a local newspaper and not have human beings who can talk to your customers. I'm a customer, I'm a subscriber. Ed from Worcester is back. We're going to start with him. We will talk about MCAST results, which in Massachusetts, after millions millions of dollars being poured into this during COVID federal money that came to Massachusetts grade three to three and eight eight eighth grade students meeting or exceeding expectations. That's the minimal. It is broken down sadly by race, but that's okay, that's what people do these days. So amongst Asian students, the competency rate from twenty nineteen was seventy two percent. That's now dropped ten percentage points to sixty two percent. Amongst white students, the competency was fifty nine percent that is now down forty seven percent, amongst Black students thirty three percent, now down to twenty four percent. And Hispanic students which apparently they didn't keep a record in twenty nineteen, if from twenty twenty one, is down from twenty six to twenty percent. So you see a real trend here, and that is that students in Massachusetts are not doing nearly as well on their MCAST tests as they once did. You know, there's going to be an issue which we're going to talk about many times between now November fifth, on whether or not they should keep the MCAST graduation requirement in Massachusetts. So if you want to talk about what's wrong with Massachusetts public schools, and oh yeah, there was one statistic in here that statewide rate of chronic absenteeism, which they define as missing eighteen days of school in a year, was about one in five last year. One in five. That's twenty percent of the students who theoretically are enrolled in Massachusetts public schools are consistently truant. We got big problems in Massachusetts. We pride ourselves and we're not Alabama and we're not Mississippi, but we're going in that direction, with all due respect to Alabama and Mississippi. Take a quick break six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty one line there, and a couple of lines at six one, seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. Let's talk mcass. Let's talk about your problems with the Boston Globe. Whatever you want, we're coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me go to Edwin Worcester fir As. I promised Ed if he called back, he could amplify on what he was telling us. This is a rear repeat performance, But Ed, I think it's going to be worth it. What you want to say, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was just commenting, you know what I called earlier. I think I was listening to you say that you think it's sort of a business decision that they've decided that their paper is going to close. That might be a little bit of it. I don't think that's most of it. I mean most of it is they don't really care what their customers or ordinary people think. It's it's published by and it's written by and it's written for people who see themselves as a ruling elite, and they look at all the rest of us like their servants or he lots. If you remember what a helot was from ancient Greece, Well, they were the slaves the spartan years to do all.
Speaker 2: The regular work. Yeah. But the bottom line here is that I think the Globe has made a decision that they don't care about their customers anymore. They're prepared to lose customers, particularly customers who rely on the printed version that they're trying to push everybody to digital. That's not going to work. Okay, it hasn't worked for a Newsweek magazine, which gave up the ghost in twenty ten. I can't think of any successful newspaper in America, can you that has made the transition from print to digital successfully?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, but I don't. I think it's that they never really cared about people other than the people they thought were like themselves. That's the way I see it, and now they don't feel anything to cover that.
Speaker 2: Again, I think that's a little bit of a broad I understand the point you're making, and it's a good one, but I don't think that the folks who make up the sports page feel that way. I don't think that every I know a lot of the people who work there. I've got a little bit of an advantage. A lot of the Beat reporters. They understood what's going on, and there was a point in time when when the Globe reported crime, and they're less crime oriented. Now they're doing like the Globe Summit and all these different events that they're doing to try to justify their existence. But they can't deliver their newspaper consistently on time. And you know, if the NBC Nightly News or the CBS Evening News or ABC News with David Muir, if every other night or every few nights when you went to turn on the ABC News, the NBC or the CBS the screen was black and they were technical difficulties, how long would it be before people would just leave that network and go somewhere else?
Speaker 3: What I think many most of them already have. The vast majority of them already have.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there have been a lot of people who have gone to this silos, whether they're watching Fox or watching MSNBC or CNN. And I'm not I don't think that's good for I don't think it's good for the country to all of us be Team Red or Team Blue. And I know I'm going off in a different little tangent here. I would like to think that there are people who I disagree with un issues, who nonetheless are really decent people. They just see the world a little differently than you would meet, as opposed to looking at them as if they're the enemy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I would say. I think the Boston Globe and the New York Times and the Washington Post are their own silos. Those are silos too, and I'm often surprised that people who read those things there are things they don't know anything. I'll often bring up the subject and the person has no idea what I'm talking about. I haven't even heard about it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like if every day you only eat steak for dinner, that is not a good diet. I mean, I just think that if your diet is only one point of view, and you want to sit in that silo and just have everything echo in your air and reverberate that, yeah, you're right, because whatever the issue is, you know what you're supposed to think. Where That's where I think we're going wrong in this country in.
Speaker 3: My opinion, Yeah, I think the people who used to be ninety decades ago sort of at the top of the society felt an obligation to the general population that I don't think their successors feel any longer.
Speaker 4: Sort of a please, I guess that's how I would say it.
Speaker 2: They used to call that no bless oblige. I think if I'm all right, Hey, Ed is always great call. Thank you so much, thanks for calling back. Okay, talk you soon. Let me get David New Hampshire. He wants to talk about the mcast.
Speaker 5: Hey Dave, welcome, Hey Dan Well.
Speaker 6: I wanted to extend an invitation to your listeners who are frustrated with the government schools in Massachusetts and frustrated with the government everything in Massachusetts. Come to New Hampshire. Move here. We have this thing called the Education Freedom Account. So you can take your money that would have gone to the government schools and put at least some of it. I'll give give you some of it back to put it into a private school. So there's you know, a trickle at least turning into an exodus eventually, I think of people leaving.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how much give it give me an example. Let's say that you have, just keep it simple, a child in the fourth grade, you're not happy with the public school. How much of your taxes or how much money can you divert to that private school? And I what is the process you get a deduction? Is that the way it works?
Speaker 6: That I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know a lot about the details. It's been a big deal here since twenty twelve, but I don't know. I don't know what the percentages are. I'm not super familiar with it. I don't have kids, so you know, I just know that you have the option of escaping the government school, and escaping you don't have to some of the taxes that you send to the government school you get back, well, you can use it.
Speaker 2: I assume the mechanism they would be deduction. You have, in Massachusetts the ability to continue to pay your taxes and mostly your real estate taxes and your state income taxes, which are the I think still the primary sources of revenue in Massachusetts. And you can send your kids to any school you want, but there's no break. So if you send your kids to a private school, you've got to be able to afford that you want to send your kids to a parochial school or a traditional Jewish high school or elementary school. You've got to afford it on your own. And of course, the people who can afford it are people who are at the top of the pay scale, if you will, the income on the income ladder. And the people who can't afford it are the people who need it the most. These are families of single moms or families that are just getting by. They have no money here in Massachusetts to spend on education other than what their children are consigned to, which is part of the problem.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, you could spend your entire life trying to change your school system, or you could just bote with your feet come here.
Speaker 2: Well I just did that. But a lot of people from Massachusetts seemed to head to New Hampshire because they were attracted by the low income tax rate and all of that, and yet they vote blue. You have four members of Congress, two Democratic senators, two Democratic members of the House of Representatives.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is probably a myth. And there was a Union Leader poll that indicated most Massachusetts movers were Republicans. And Jason Soren from the Free State Project and an ideological map of the Hampshire which shows our most libertarian areas tend to be near Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Well again, you know, I know you're my favorite New Hampshire libertarian. I don't want to get into at a discussion of libertarianism. All I can tell you is I know what the results are. Warren Rudman used to be the Senator from up there, Gordon Humphrey used to be the Senator from up there. Those folks have Judd Gregg was a long time, These were Republican senators for a long long time. John Sanunho had been the governor up there. A conservative Democrat like John Lynch would be elected, or a moderate Democrat like John Lynch would be elected. Uh. I don't know what's going to happen in the governance race up there. Maybe Kelly a Art will survive, and certainly Chris Sinuno has done an amazing job for people in New Hampshire. But you have you have two very liberal, traditional liberal Democrats in the Senate and two and you've had a variety of debt liberal Democrats and in the House. So I don't know if those people from Massachusetts are and are coming up to vote Republican. I'm not sure that that makes that makes sense, but we'll see. Davis always. I appreciate your calls. You're a challenging caller, and you always try to kind of bring it around to the libertarian argument, and I'm not opposed to that. You're very welcome here anytime.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much, Thank you welcome.
Speaker 2: We will be back on nights side after the news break. I have wide open lines here, which of course always is terrifying, and I hope that I haven't confused you tonight, but I'll give you an opportunity. If you want to talk about what's going up over the Chinese platforms in Maine, feel free. If you want to tell me about your success or lack thereof, of getting your newspaper delivered to you and most specifically your Boston Globe, and how frustrating it is to not be able to even talk to a human being and we're going to put you in our automated system, Or if you want to talk about these disappointing m cast results here in Massachusetts, I'd be happy to talk to any of those with you. It's been kind of a pope wary sort of a night here on Nightside. We don't do it this way often. Pick your topic. We'll be back on night Side six one, seven, two, four thirty, six, one seven, nine, three, ten thirty back right after this.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, so this is not college joys, but we'll give you kind of a wide opportunity of topics. Hi, Carol in Southborough, how are you well?
Speaker 4: I'm good and I'm calling because of the Boston Globe and you dissatisfaction as well as mine in terms of not receiving the Sunday paper.
Speaker 2: They're horrible.
Speaker 4: Well, but I have the resolve to it. I figured it out, so I get a human almost immediately when they call. When I call and I ask, and they ask for my phone number, I give them my cell number, even though I know that it's the house phone number they want. So when they say, when their automation says, well we can't locate that number, hold on, let me connect you to an agent. So within three minutes I have an agent trick. So yes, it is this.
Speaker 2: That's one of these folks who are out in Arizona.
Speaker 4: Who who has no idea. All I know is for the past five weeks. Three weeks, I have not received my Sunday paper.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's my here's my question, here's my here's my problem. This still charging you every month? I assume in a credit card.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, no, they're crediting my account.
Speaker 2: But they've told me.
Speaker 4: I know that they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the question. Do you exactly Well they tell me, yeah, they tell you that they credit your account. But I get hit every four weeks for the whatever it is, twenty eight dollars and eighty eight cents or whatever.
Speaker 4: So you get it all week, law, You get the paper all week?
Speaker 3: Law?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, seven days a week.
Speaker 4: Okay. Well, I get it only on Sundays.
Speaker 2: Okay, But what if I guarantee you, Carol, if you they the person who you talk to in Arizona's gonna say, well, we'll give you a credit. But if you look at your credit card, hope I'm wrong because with my credit card, every time they've told me they give me a credit, I still they I'm on a cycle where I get hit once every twenty eight days. It's just not like you get hit on the first day of the month. Let's say you get hit on the first day of the month. Then if that's the month, you get hit again on the twenty ninth day of the month. So you end up with thirteen charges per year. It isn't like a monthly bill where you have twenty eight dollars times twelve. It's because they're getting you thirteen times fifty two weeks of a year. They hit you and it never moves. So this line that they're crediting you, that is a phony line. You feel good about it. You say, oh, I'm going to get credit for my Globe. You know you don't.
Speaker 4: I guarantee I will definitely be absolutely double checking. I only get it on Sunday and so, and I've been a Globe customer for decades and decades and decades, and every every couple of months they I get the traditional letter that they are sadly have to increase the paper by blah blah blahh. So I, oh, yeah, but that doesn't work with me. I immediately call up and I say, I'm not paying one more penny for the paper, so you can cancel it. And they said, but no, we need to keep you as a customer. And I said, the only way you're going to keep me as a customer for you is to maintain it at the nineteen dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 4: And so that's so I'm lying in bed listening to like I do every night and this and when you said I never can get a human, that's been my cry. So I try this this year, and I get a human.
Speaker 2: I thank thank you, thank you for the tip. I sometimes can get a human if I just keep pressing zero. But they come on and they say, welcome to our new automated phone system.
Speaker 4: Now no, I don't get that anymore.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, Carol, good luck, good luck. Twenty dollars for four news for four Sunday newspapers. That's there. That's no bargain they're charging you.
Speaker 4: Fine, that's but but you know what, it's more than than the grocery stores. It's six fifty, so anyway.
Speaker 2: To put themselves out of bits.
Speaker 4: I love the sports page too. I love reading it every Sunday, and I get really pissed off and I don't have my globe.
Speaker 2: That's exactly the way I felt. You said it out. I will second that emotion. Thanks, Carol.
Speaker 4: Is this your first call to the show, Well, embarrassingly yes it is. But I listened to you every.
Speaker 2: Night, Carol. You know you now have have dipped your toe into the pool. The water's fine.
Speaker 4: You come back anytime, okay, Carol, Okay, thanks, good luck.
Speaker 2: I know south Boro very well. I have a friend of mine who's a Catholic priests out there, father Jim Flynn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know him.
Speaker 2: At Saint Matthews. Yeah. He's a great guy, really good guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, not my not my religion.
Speaker 2: But that's no problem, not not at all. And you don't have to have a religion. But he's a friend. And I just thought it on the chance that we I always I said earlier tonight, I believe in that six degrees of separation that I always know someone that you know, and so I was just taking a shot at it. Okay, thanks Carol.
Speaker 4: It was a pleasure speaking to you. It really was right back, all right, Thank you, great night.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. Let me go next to Bill in Chicago, Illinois. Hey Bill, welcome back to Night's Side.
Speaker 10: How are you well, first time, first time calls tonight. I'm from Rochester, Navid and Newton. I moved to Chicago about forty years ago and I'm in bed now. I got a stroke and I'm kind of handicapped, but I did want to mention a couple of things, but not too much. You're there's a guy running for senator against Elizabeth Warren's on your TV. On your show there.
Speaker 2: John Dwton, John Deeton is his name.
Speaker 10: Yep, yeah, Hey, Elizabeth Warren. Uh, she's the only one, one of the few Democrats on TV that will fight Jamie Diamond and arrested these guys, and she knows the financial world and these guys will mess with her. So I love, I love Elizabeth Warren, and I you know, we need the Democratic senator because of fighting in the in the Midwest. He you got people on Ohio, you got people in uh in Tennessee, Kentucky, and then down there at Georgia, in Hell Obama, Uh, you know, Louisiana. All these guys is kind of thick with Democrats have Republicans, and it's pretty tough to get a good side of the story. So that's that's my main Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, by the by the way, just so you know, we have invited Elizabeth Warren on the show repeatedly over the years. She we invited her to have a debate with John Daton. She had no interest in that, you know, uh uh. I guess Oklahoma's Lost is Massachusetts game when you think about it, John, Bill, Hey, how often do you listen to the show.
Speaker 10: Well, I'll tell you this is my second night. I got all lex from somebody, and I got a leux to the machine and it works great.
Speaker 2: Excellently and it comes in pretty well. Right, you're on the internet.
Speaker 10: Then, and in bed handicapped in my own life, So I'll call you back all right.
Speaker 2: Bill, thanks very much for your call. A great night, good night. I think that's well anyway, Bill and I might disagree, but that's okay. It was a he was a real gentleman. We'll take a quick break here. I got some open lines six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one ten thirty. I may have confused many of you tonight, but you know we have more first time callers tonight than we have had in a while with uh and I love my traditional regular callers, but I also love those first time callers. We'll take a break. We can talk about your problems. Just getting us a newspaper to your door. I mean, think about it. In the nineteen thirties or forties, or the fifties of the sixties, it was no big deal. Now it seems to be more difficult. I'm quite upset with the Boston Globe. I've been a subscriber a long time and they have failed me on two of the last three Sundays. And I don't want to quit my subscription. Although they're testing my patients. They're testing my patients. This is a problem for me, and I think it's a problem for many other people. So feel free to join this conversation if you want to talk about the fact that students here in Massachusetts are not doing well in the MCAST tests. MCAST has helped Massachusetts, and if we don't, if we don't raise through our school system kids who are competent, it's going to hurt the Massachusetts economy. It's going to hurt all of us. There are implications here. Don't just just write it off and say, well, it doesn't matter to me because my kids aren't affected. Your state is being affected. And they've poured billions of dollars, billions of dollars into education in Massachusetts, and what do we have to show for it. It's not the greatest school system in the country anymore. It is now going in the wrong direction, and I want to change it. I'd love to talk about it. If you don't believe me, read the Boston Globe today. If you're lucky enough to have it delivered to you, we'll be back at Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we're tied on time, and all of a sudden, we have a bunch of folks who we're going to try to get to everybody quickly. We only have about seven minutes left and we've got full lines. Let's go to John. It's in North Carolina. John next on Nightside, Go right ahead.
Speaker 8: Hey, Dan Well, I just wanted to make the point about the economics of home delivery. Yes, if you go back to the nineteen sixties, just about every house in the neighborhood would get the paper.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 8: And now if it's let's say it's down to only ten percent, but the cost is the same to deliver to everybody as to ten percent more or less, because you've got to drive down the street and you throw the paper, and so you're basically spreading the same cost instead of spreading it over.
Speaker 2: No, No, your economics is flawless. But the issue is if the product is not being bought by enough people. I'd be like, if you have a baseball team and all of a sudden, instead of getting twenty thousand people every night, you're getting fifteen hundred people every night. Something's wrong. Maybe you've got to market it better. I'm just saying that it is a dying institution and it's not even giving your most loyal subscribers the courtesy of a human being to talk with.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's true, but I just don't see how they can keep doing it well economically.
Speaker 2: You're right, because there's a lot of papers around the country gone out of business. John, you got to call earlier. You're a great call to come on back earlier.
Speaker 8: Okay, Hey, Dan, good night, Thank you much.
Speaker 2: It's going to get to Eileen. I Leen, were tight on time. Thanks for calling in right ahead.
Speaker 11: I just wanted to thank you very much for your discussion of pot farms in Maine and else Yes, thank you. This is such an unhealthy substance. It should never have been legalized. When you've got hallucinations occurring from people who take this substance. This brain function should be taught in the third grade. If you get students went by the time they get to the seventh grade, they don't want to hear anything that any adult has to tell them. They know it all.
Speaker 10: You know, you know that that's.
Speaker 2: Such a great point, Eileen, and I couldn't agree with you more. And you know, on the ballot this fall and we're going to talk about it, they want to legalize magic mushrooms. So it's not just the pot they're gonna deal with. And the pot up in Maine has all sorts of poisonous pesticides on it. Leen, I gotta keep rolling. I got a whole bunch of calls, thanks so much.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, thank you, Dan, Thanks by good night.
Speaker 2: Let me go to Tom in Rochester, Massachusetts. Tom next on nights. I go right ahead.
Speaker 12: How about you, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 12: Real quickly? So So Deeton won the primary handily down here, he advertised heavily in the local radio. Yeah, and then we just had a big, nice rally down this way in the South coast and man a poison Saturday, which is a competitive area again and no, but so quickly. My point was being not a not a deep sign. No no local organizations zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's a problem. That's a problem. The Democrats are are a much more effective team. It's like the uh the Democrats.
Speaker 12: Well, no, there wasn't quite a There was a there's a tremendous republican local republican output of Trump rally. There were a local estate race. Uh, you know, a state rep race and so forth.
Speaker 2: We'll get get together. But was a no show. Find some friends and and get them, get them activated. Tom I got to get two more in. I'm gonna run. Okay, thank you much, man. Talk call earlier will give you much more time, very quickly, John and Brookline, John, I meant to call you back today. I've talked to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Go right ahead, John, Yeah, I'll be very quick. Sixty five years ago, and I delivered the Globe. It wouldn't be on your drive where you get your doorstep.
Speaker 2: Yep. Absolutely not only that.
Speaker 5: The morning paper I delivered. In the afternoon paper I delivered on my bicycle, and you flicked it up front of the landing, and if it didn't make it, you heard about it the next day. Well, that those days are gone, gone.
Speaker 2: Gone, gone gone. I got to get one more, Brooklyn, and thanks.
Speaker 5: You needed a heavy man to carry it.
Speaker 2: All right, Man, talk to you soon, real quickly, Eric and Brookline. Eric got about fifteen seconds. Be where you go ahead, Eeric.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have almost the same story. And I used to deliver the Afternoon Globe, but I am a fan of the Globe. I don't know you, Dan. I got on the company car tonight and the guy who drove it before me had your radio station on. But I think the Boston Globe is.
Speaker 6: A good thing.
Speaker 9: It's too expensive, and the delivery it's not little kids on bicycles anymore, it's people in station wagons.
Speaker 2: Also, they also make people available to talk to customers when customers need to complain. That's the problem. That's the problem. Eric. I wish you had been with us, And thank you very much for whoever was in the car before you. Thanks Man, talk to you soon. Have a good one. All right. Done for the night, Rob Brooks, great job, Marie, a great job. Thanks to all the callers and all the listeners. Back tomorrow night. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pelt. Early Rays who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's where all your pets are who were passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. I'll be on Nightside on Facebook Nightside with Dan Ray and just the moment we'll see again tomorrow. Have a great Thursday, everyone, stay drive Dan Ray for Nightside