Speaker 1: Oh hay, it's your old dad here. Save and use some pancakes even though you sleep until eleven am Alley Ward. And this is an episode of smologies. If you're like, what is that? These are shorter, classroom friendly, kids safe episodes. So if you're looking for the full shebang with more information and probably me swearing a little bit like a trucker, we've linked that in the show notes. There's the full episode linked, but this is a shorter one. You can listen as your carpool or with your classroom, or with my grandmother if she were around, speaking of aging. So this is an episode that is probably the least silly one that we've ever done. But stick around to the end because it ends with a twist that's very funny. So enjoy that. And if you want more Smologies episodes, if you go to allyward dot com slash smologies, we have dozens up that are all shorter, kid friendly if that's what you're looking for, And again we've linked that in the show notes along with the original full length episode that is not kid safe. Okay, ajing, why how let's get into it. Let's talk about old age? Okay, So biogerontology, etymology. So bio means life and jeron means old man. So the biology of an old guy not super inclusive in terms of its roots, but it's a subset of gerontology. It examines the processes of aging. So how does olding happen? Let's talk about metabolisms, modern life spans, risk factors for losing your memory, Thoughts on a possible cause and cure for Alzheimer's why we age, Secrets of centenarians, and what a seventy eight year old professor and globally lauded science hero does to stay so fit and so sharp. So sit up straight, take some notes for the concentrated crash course on the Forward March of Molecules with world renowned biogerontologist doctor Caleb tuck Finch sologousglogyges. So what part about the aging process fascinates you the most? Is it the effect neurologically or is it the entire body?
Speaker 2: It's the unknowns that we are still working out basic mechanisms, and we know that it is under some genetic influence. If you have the genes of a mouse, you're only going to live two years. If you have the genes of a human you might get to seventy eighty or ninety, so it's genetic. But then among individuals, the role of genetics seems to be much less. Roughly identical twins lifespans you can attribute twenty percent of their heritability in aging is due to genes that influence aging. It's really a minority of the individual differences in humans and in other animals can be attributed to inherited genes.
Speaker 1: So only twenty percent is attributed to genes, which is terrible news for those of us who like to deny personal responsibility.
Speaker 2: So I've been working on in many parts of my career on environmental aspects of how individual gene responses to the environment, to diet influence outcomes of aging. And I'm now in the last six seven years been focusing on air pollution, which shortens lifespan in proportion to the number of particles per cubic meter and also accelerates almost all of the diseases of aging, including the risk of Alzheimer's.
Speaker 1: So let's go to the superbasics. As someone who is not as well versed in this as you, what exactly is aging? How do you define aging?
Speaker 2: Well, the basic way is at a population level that after the age of forty, your risk of mortality essentially doubles every seven or eight years. Oh, so there's an exponential increase in mortality risk. And preceding that is parallel risk in chronic diseases, heart disease, cancer, and at later ages Alzheimer's. So the individual pathways in this are not understood, but as by age group, aging increases the risk of chronic diseases that are causes of death. And then you can ask at a more fundamental level, what are the mechanisms behind that? And that's where the mystery is.
Speaker 1: So our risks of disease and dying go exponentially up. Okay, rather than bum you out let that fact. Encourage you to write the novel that you've been intending to, or Collins sick, go to six Flags tomorrow, or wear the shoes you think you should save for fancy occasions were today we're all getting old. Just go for it, Champ, Speaking of how do you ask a genius expert the most basic question ever? You just do it. People you live in the now watch is it that ourselves don't regenerate as fast? Is it?
Speaker 2: That's part of it. Our molecules don't regenerate as fast, and there's some molecules that are as old as we are, in our blood vessels and our connective tissue and in our eyes that undergo molecular deterioration.
Speaker 1: I know they say you're kind of a new person every seven years.
Speaker 2: Is that that's not at all correct?
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's some flim flam to debunk.
Speaker 2: Which is not true. Yeah, that's one of those sort of inherited tails that have no scientific substance. I have no idea where that comes from.
Speaker 1: I gotta look it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no there's no science there, right.
Speaker 1: I didn't think so it always, I mean it's always. I don't know where that came from. But it's an interesting myth.
Speaker 2: And no, it's not interesting. It's disruptive because it's wrong.
Speaker 1: Right. By the way, if you're like, was Ali just dying at this point? The answer is yes, man, I am dying up here, both from a molecular standpoint and psychologically. But just stick around because like life, there are twists and there are turns around every corner. So how old are you really? Okay, there's a cool math trick you can do you take your age and multiply it by sixteen, then divide it by sixteen, which is your age. You're just your age. I made you math for nothing. Here's the deal. Your body is a bunch of different ages. Like the lining of your guts, which are just constantly splitsh splashing in an acid bath. They're newborns. They turn over every five days or so, but skeletal muscles are fifteen. They're about to get their learning permits. Some part of your brain are just as old as you are. Just about other parts turnover faster. The core of your eye lens you can see ophthalmology episode from more on. That is exactly your age from pre birth that never turns over. This is fun. This is like antique road show for your meat covered bone scaffolds.
Speaker 2: What he's ever looked at it that I'm aware of?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Ted, did you notice when you showed this to me that I kind of stopped breathing a little bit?
Speaker 1: Not only that the condition of this is unbelievable. Now, how do different animals age? I know you mentioned a mouse might have a lifespan of two years.
Speaker 2: Any each species has its own pattern of aging, So mice don't get Alzheimer's disease, and they don't get blood vessel disease and have heart attacks, but they do get cancer and their arteries become more rigid and their lungs become more rigid. Because of molecular aging. That part of aging happens in humans at a much slower rate. And in addition, we have diseases that are special to the human species, including Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 1: Is the brain the part of our body that ages the quickest or where do we see aging happen?
Speaker 2: Well, I'd say blood vessels, and so there's in terms of shared anatomy across men and women, the blood vessels are already beginning to age even before puberty.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, I just want to acknowledge that the terms men and women and male and female are along a gender binary that doesn't apply to everyone. And doctor Finch is talking about broad strokes in historical studies, and I just want to let the non binary folks know out there that I see you and I love you. And what about male versus female lifespans? Have we seen that change over the last few decades or pretty study?
Speaker 2: Well? Both, No, they both increased as overall health has increased is observed in the health rich populations of the world, and our upper income people in this country are a health rich people. That women are living five years longer than men.
Speaker 1: Why is that?
Speaker 2: We don't know?
Speaker 1: So what are we doing that is helping progress aging or what are we doing? What are we doing wrong? Essentially when it comes to aging, well.
Speaker 2: The major health concern across the country is people are eating more energy rich foods than they need and not getting enough exercise. I mean, that's simple lifestyle take home. It's boring to say, but if you are even mildly obese in midlife and you're not exercising, you're having a shorter life expectancy.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned something about sugar, and I know that inflammatory foods and inflammation is part of your research. How does inflammation affect the human body in terms of.
Speaker 2: It, Well, all of the diseases of aging that we worry about, blood vessel disease, obesity, Alzheimer's disease, cancer involve the molecules of inflammatory responses. So it's deeply built into our systems and in the processes of aging. So that's just a fundamental fact. And the term inflammation comes from ancient understanding of when you have a cut, it swells up and it's red and it's hot and it causes pain. Well, the basis for that are the inflammatory cytokines that come in to help the body clean up the damaged tissue. But responses to damaged tissue happen inflammatory responses in arterial disease, in cancer and obesity, and an Alzheimer's disease. So there's a shared core of inflammatory proteins that are at work during aging from the day were born.
Speaker 1: Flames on the side of my face, breathing breath, heaving breath. Is there a way that we should be keeping inflammation at.
Speaker 2: Bay, Well, that's part of the idea of exercise and diet, which reduces the level of inflammation.
Speaker 1: So move your bod and eat your greens. We fixed it America. What's happening in other parts of the world and in blue zones where longevity is higher? Side note, what is a blue zone? So this came up in the hematology episode and I only know that because I searched my Google Drive for the word legomes. So a blue zone is a place identified by author Dan Butner, who has studied some scientists data and concluded that people in five places live the longest okay now with Japan, Sodinia, Italy, Koya, Costa Rica, Akaria, Greece, and a small posse of Seventh Day Adventist in the La suburb of Low Molinda, California. So what saith dan are commonalities among these groups? Apparently they are prioritizing family above everything else. They smoke lass, they eat a lot of veggies, are semi vegetarian. They have constant moderate physical activity, and good social engagement which does not mean likes and comments on Instagram, but like hanging out with many generations in the community. Oh also lagoomes. They eat a lot of lagomes. So does doctor Finch think this is just a hello beans?
Speaker 2: I'm not an enthusiastic of something unique about the blue zones. I mean, there are peoples in all of the continents who are a live a little longer than the average, But most of my colleagues don't think there's anything unusual about that. But if you look globally, lifespan has been increasing as early life mortality decreased because of reducing infectious disease. But pushing against that is the global epidemic of obesity, the global sale of tobacco, which is huge in Africa and in Asia, and the global issues of air pollution which is getting worse in most of the world because of fossil fuel consumption and global warming.
Speaker 1: So now is the time when we dive into listener questions. And also I mentioned that a portion of the podcast income goes to a charity each week. This week, doctor kleb Vinch chose curealz dot Org. Cureaalz dot org. It's a nonprofit organization. They're dedicated to funding research with the highest probability of preventing, slowing, or reversing Alzheimer's disease. Now to date, they have raised over eighty six million dollars to fund almost four hundred studies, and one hundred percent of the funds go directly to research. So thank you listeners for helping a lab by simpipets getting closer to a cure for Alzheimer's. Okay, your listener questions. Now, I didn't want to take up too much of the professor's time, so I blazed through these questions without reading off a bunch of names, but I will insert them when I can. For example, the first questions here were asked by Liz Sundon, Athena Balisterari, Dion Dabolow, Mike Manakowski, Anonymous, Bob, Anna Thompson, Lucille Adinette which might be Audonay, I'm not sure, and Taylor Munich I have some listener questions. Almost everyone is just asking what's the secret to aging? Well, it seems like diet, exercise, rest. Yeah. Do you think that there's a maximum age that the human body can reach?
Speaker 2: Well, the evidence is very clear. Almost nobody gets beyond one hundred, and there's one person in the last thirty years who reached over one point twenty, Jean Calman. But there are more people getting to one hundred, but they still in the last thirty years, she's the only one to get beyond one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: So sign note. Jean Coment lived to be one hundred and twenty two, the oldest human on record, and she was fond of wearing headphones and doing chair gymnastics, prayer, fruit salad, and smoking well one Dunhill cigarette a day and a small glass of port wine until she was one hundred and seventeen, which proves that you're never too old to quit a bad habit and turn over a new leaf. So seriously, let's nope. The smokes folks love old Dad. And what's the role of telomeres in aging?
Speaker 2: We don't know. So telomers are at the ends of chromosomes that get shortened during cell division. So some of our cells do show shorter telomers in the immune system. Its actual functional consequence is not clear.
Speaker 1: So that's clearly hasn't been the secret to.
Speaker 2: There's no secret. There's nothing in aging that is a secret.
Speaker 1: Does he hate me again? Twists and turns, Listen to the end. What's your favorite part about the field or what you do?
Speaker 2: Surprise?
Speaker 1: Yeah, still got a lot of it right.
Speaker 2: Well, the complexities of biology are just awesome, amazing, and every year there's a new level of mechanisms subcellularly or in how organs talk to each other. It's just endlessly fascinating.
Speaker 1: Any other things that you're excited about working on or you think people should know about the aging process or taking care of themselves, Well.
Speaker 2: I'm collaborating with some anthropologists and a group of people who live in the Bolivian Amazon, And what's fascinating about these people that simon a they're living under conditions of two hundred years ago without medication, and they're growing their own food, and they all have high levels of infection. Some of them get to age seventy or eighty. But what's remarkable a small percent, ten percent, nobody lives much over eighty. What's remarkable is that their levels of arterial aging are twenty five years slower than in North America, and they have almost no heart attacks or strokes. So we're trying to understand what aspects of their environment, their diet, and interaction with their genes might slow the arterial aging to such a degree.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's anything about the gut biome that's at play there?
Speaker 2: That's an open question. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see. I guess there's a surprise and a puzzle waiting for you with that. Yep, thank you so much for letting me ask you so many questions. Thank you so much, good questions, he said, I had good questions, y'all. He does not hate me. So after the interview was over and the mics were off, doctor Finch said, I asked great questions. I was doing a service for science by making the podcast. I honestly almost joy webbed in my car on the drive home. He's just super focused and all science on the outside with a very warm and curious heart. I love him. He's great and he returned my email so fast. I'm a big fan. So to learn more about doctor Caleb Finch's work, you can go to alliwoard dot com slash ologies or follow the links in the show notes to my site. I post all kinds of info about his studies and other studies mentioned in the episode. Again, his latest book, Global Air Pollution in Aging Reading Smoke Signals. It's even available on Amazon, as are many of his other books. Ologies is at ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at ali Ward with one l on both and again we have more ssmologies episodes. Go to aliward dot com slash smologies or just click the link in the show notes and it'll get you a ton of other shorter, kid friendly episodes. And in the interest of keeping this small, we've put all of the credits in the show notes. And if you stick around to the very very very end, then I give you a piece of advice. And this is a piece of advice that I live by. I always keep a dish towel in the car because you never know when you're going to spill on yourself. You never know when you might have to wrap a baby squirrel in something. And having a dish towel in the car has saved my pants so many times. Keep a dish towel a car, put in the glove compartment, put it in the pocket in the back of the seat. There will be a time when you will be so happy that you have that. Trust me, it's happened to me. Okay, until next time. Smologites burbyelog hourglogies