Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope. This is the Bible teaching ministry of Rick Warren. Hey, we're so glad you've joined us. Today. We're continuing a powerful series called radicalis Developing Spiritual Roots. And in this series, Rick will show you how to grow deep in your faith, stay grounded in God's word, and become everything He created you to be. And now here's part two of a message called radical Faith.
Speaker 2: You know, one time when I was preparing for this message, I asked, hey, honey, can you ever think of a time that you obeyed God when he told you to do something even when it didn't make sense? And she said yes. When you asked me to marry you, I said, okay, in hindsight, was it a good thing? She said yes. I said, you're a babe. Tom's gonna do the third facet of radical faith?
Speaker 3: What does it mean to have radical faith?
Speaker 4: The third thing is persisting when I don't feel like it, persisting even when I don't.
Speaker 3: Feel like it.
Speaker 4: There is a belief in our culture that is so strong every one of us are influenced by it. Whether we want to be influenced by it or not, we all know this belief. The belief is if it feels good, that's the belief. If it feels good, I should do it. If it doesn't feel good, I shouldn't do it. And whether I want to be influenced by that or not, I am. And when I allow myself to be, I become manipulated by my moods instead of living a life of faith. And God wants you and I to live a different kind of life, a life of faith, not just a life of feeling.
Speaker 3: Truth is, I don't always feel like doing the right thing. I don't know about you. I don't always feel like.
Speaker 4: Being nice to people like I see you out in the store or something. I don't always feel like being nice to you most of the time, but not always.
Speaker 3: You're never going to know now whether I felt like it or not when I smile at you.
Speaker 4: But I just don't always feel like, Hell, my wife, I really felt like washing the dishes, or Luke comes down and says, hey, could you read through this homework paper eleven o'clock at night. I don't feel like reading through the paper at that moment. I just don't always feel like doing the right thing. But God can give you a kind of faith that persists above feelings.
Speaker 3: And the truth of the matter is, if you look.
Speaker 4: At all of life, anybody who's successful at anything does things that they don't feel like doing that other people don't feel like doing. An Olympic athlete practices.
Speaker 3: When they don't feel like it.
Speaker 4: A great musician exercises practice and understanding how to do their craft even when they don't feel like it. If you're going to be a great salesman a great saleswoman, that means you make calls that other people don't feel like making.
Speaker 3: And if you want, if you want to get.
Speaker 4: Closer to God in your life, deep in your relationship with him, that means you spend time with Him sometimes.
Speaker 3: Even when you don't feel like it.
Speaker 4: You find somebody who really enjoys spending time with God, that means they spend time with God sometimes even when they.
Speaker 3: Didn't feel like it. Faith is being persistent. Faith is refusing to give up no matter how tired you are.
Speaker 4: Now, that's great to say, but the big question is how do you become persistent?
Speaker 3: Because I don't know about you. I don't always feel like being persistent. Is that true about you? So how do you get there?
Speaker 4: The Bible talks about how you and I can begin to develop persistence in our lives.
Speaker 3: For the example of a guy by.
Speaker 4: The name of Moses, Hebrews chapter eleven, This hall of fame of faith. Bible says in Hebrews eleven twenty seven, it was by faith that Moses left Egypt, and he was not afraid of the king's anger. He held to his purposes like a man who could encircle these last three words.
Speaker 3: Would you see the invisible? That's how you get there, That's how you persist.
Speaker 4: You begin to see the invisible. You see what God can do in your life. The invisible is God, and only those who see the invisible can do the impossible. Only those who see who God really is can persist. In the most difficult times of life, you realize there's more.
Speaker 3: Than you can see, and it's who you can say.
Speaker 4: It's God being present in your life.
Speaker 3: Now, some of you, you need to.
Speaker 4: Hear this right now, the Bible says the Hebrews eleven one.
Speaker 3: What is faith.
Speaker 4: It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things that we cannot yet see. But some of you right now, you don't have any confident assurance. The truth of the matter is, instead of feeling like persisting, you feel like you want.
Speaker 3: To give up. Christmas can do that to us.
Speaker 4: I love Christmas almost everything about it. The one thing I hate about it is that sometimes it turns up the volume on our pain.
Speaker 3: You had a bad year.
Speaker 4: It feels worse at Christmas time, our relationship's not going right. It feels like it's even going more downhill. At Christmas time. You messed up this last year. All you can think about is how you messed up this last year. Right now, let me ask you, let me ask you to have a kind of faith you've never thought of having before. Let me ask you to have the faith right now to believe that God loves you no matter what, no matter what happened last year, no matter who isn't loving you right now, no matter how you messed up in your life, God still loves you. Faith is persisting even when you don't feel like it, Even if you do not feel like God loves you. He loves you, even if you don't know the confidence that God is with you.
Speaker 3: He is with you. So right now I want to invite you in your heart in your.
Speaker 4: Mind say I don't feel it, but God, I accept it. You love me no matter what, no matter how much I messed up, Hang on because.
Speaker 3: God will make a way.
Speaker 4: First Christmas, there are a lot of things that people did because they didn't feel like it.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about Joseph and Mary.
Speaker 4: You think that Joseph felt like keeping his wife a virgin after they were married and tell Jesus was born. I don't think so, but he did. Think of them traveling to Bethlehem when Mary was nine months pregnant. Ladies, you think Mary felt like getting on a donkey at nine months pregnant and going to bethlamb.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, but they did it anyway.
Speaker 4: And because they did what they didn't feel like doing, you and I get to benefit from their faith and you when you make the choice to have faith, it not only benefits you, it benefits everyone around you. That's what happens when you have the faith to persist when you don't feel like it.
Speaker 2: The fourth facet of radical faith announcing it in order to experience it, Announcing it in order to experience it. Faith is believing when I don't see it, obeying when I don't understand it, persisting when I don't feel like it, and announcing it in order to experience it. In other words, sometimes you have to say it in order to sense it. You've got to state it in order to feel it. It is the power of your words. It is speaking in faith. If you've kind of lost that love and feeling for your wife, you know how to get it back. Start saying it. Start telling your wife I love you. Just say it. You say I don't feel it, don't wait till you feel it. Say it to sense it. And you start saying I love you, I love you, I love you. You know what, the feelings will return. You want to learn to love God. You said I don't feel like I love God. Start telling him it. Maybe you've never said God, I love you, Father, I love you. Maybe you've never said Jesus, I love you. You know, if you start saying it, the feelings will come. It is the power of your words. You say it to sense it, you announce it in order to experience it. Now that's radical faith. One of the examples of this there in the Hall of Fame in Hebrews eleven is the illustration of Joseph.
Speaker 3: It says.
Speaker 2: It was by faith that Joseph, when he was about to die, confidently spoke of God bringing the people of Israel out of Egypt. And he was so sure of it that he commanded them to carry his bones with him when they left. You know the story how Joseph got sold into slavery, went into Egypt. Things were downhill for him. Eventually, through the experiences of God, became number two in command under Pharaoh, saved the nation, saved Israel. But after that Pharaoh died, the Jews were enslaved, and for four hundred years they were enslaved in Egypt. But Joseph, long before they went back to the promised land, four hundred years for it, he announced. He says, I know one day God's going to let us go back home to Israel, and so I want you to promise me that I'll be dead. I want you to take my bones and bury them in Israel. What's he doing He is stating it in advance. He is announcing it in order to experience it. In fact, this is how God creates everything. God creates by the spoken word. God created the entire universe by speaking it into existence. Let there be light Bam, there's light. Let there be a sun and moon. Pam, there's a sun and moon. God doesn't have to go through long things. He could if he wanted to, but he could just speak it into existence. In fact, here's what the Bible says, Hebrews eleven three. By faith, we see the world called into existence. God spoke it into existence, called into existence by God's word. And what we see created by what we don't see. And then soa I'm thirty three right underneath that on your atlant it says for he spoke and then it came to be. Now, this is no contradiction to scientific theory. I mean people talk about the Big Bang. Believe me, when you think God spoke the universe of existence, there is probably a big bang where you Wherever you got a creation, you got a creator. Wherever you got a defect, there is a cause. If I'm walking down the mountain and I see a rock out of place, I can say, oh, yeah, that's an accident. If I'm walking down the mountain and I see a rolex, that is evidence of design. And it is stupidity for me to say it just all happened. That rolex is evidence of design. You see, I don't have enough faith to be an atheist. It takes far more faith to believe something came out of nothing than to believe that creation was made by a creator. Far more faith. You see, we disproved spontaneous generation in the Middle Ages. Nobody believes that anymore. Things don't just come to life out of nothing. Now, if you do happen to believe that, then you need to be intellectually honest, because if you say, I believe something could just happen out of nothing, there was no cause to it, it just happened out of nothing, then you would have obviously no problem believing that when Christ died he could come back to life, because it would take less faith to believe life can come back to life than to believe life came out of nothing. For intellectual honesty, you couldn't say, well, I believe in one but not the other. God spoke it into existence. And what the Bible says is that God gives us that power in our words too. We announce it in order to experience it. And the Bible makes a direct connection between your words, what you say, and the quality of the life you live. You don't realize how much your words affect you, affect everybody else, and affect the environment around you and even history. In fact, the Bible says this on the screen Proverbs eighteen twenty one. Death and life are in the power of the tongue. You can slice people, you can kill them with your words. You can add life and vitality with your words. You know this to be true. People today have had their lives ruined by a single sentence. Some people today are still remembering and acting on something one sentence that was said to them by their parents, or by their peers, or by their partners. Are on the playground, and years later, one simple little sentence still haunts their memory. Their death and life is in the power of our words. You have enormous power in your words, And the Bible says faith, what you say and what you receive from God is connected. Our words and faith are together. In fact, Jesus said this here on the screen, Matthew eight ten eighteen. I tell you the truth. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. What's he talking about there, He's talking about the power of our words, the power of our words to bless people, or the power our words to put them down, to curse them, the power words to give life or death in people's lives. Now, sometimes speaking in faith appears foolish to people of not faith, because when you're announcing it in advance, when you're announcing it in order to experience it, it looks like you don't know what you're talking about, like you're out of touch with reality, and it seems foolish to other people. For instance, God often changed people's names in the Bible to indicate where they were going, not where they were at at that moment. God took a man named Abram, and he changed his name to Abraham. Now Abraham means father of many nations. There's only one problem. Abraham had no kids. So at ninety nine years of age, his name is Abraham. And somebody comes in and says, what's your name, father of many nations? Oh, it's great, how many kids you got none? How old are you? Ninety nine? Oops, it's a little embarrassing to have your name be father of many nations. You're ninety nine years old and no kids. What was God doing? He was announcing it in order to experience it and the Bible says this on the back of your outline Romans four to eleven. God said, I have made you a father of many nations. God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were. And see that's faith, friends, Faith is calling that which is not as though it is, is announcing it in order to experience it. In fact, look at the Living Bible translation of this verse. God speaks of future events with as much certainty as though they were already past. He's announcing the future in the present as though it's passed. And that's faith. The friends, if you want to understand your pastor me, you need to understand that I have the gift of faith. We all have different gifts. Everybody's got different gifts. You have spiritual gifts to people. Next, do you have spiritual gifts. One of my spiritual gifts is faith, and I have this in a strong measure to announce it in order to experience it. I live in the world of faith, in spiritual reality. In other words, I'm always talking about what it can be, not what it is, and I'm always visualizing the future for people. Now, this is why the way I preach here at Saddleback is different than maybe you have heard from some other pastors. Sometimes you'll hear pastors say, well, I just believe in telling it like it is. Well, that's a good thing. At least it's the truth. But there's a far better way to teach than tell it like it is. Tell it like it could be. Telling it like it is never changes anybody. Labeling only reinforces the present. Telling it like it could be is teaching and preaching for faith, and that causes people to change. When you label somebody and you just tell them what they are, it doesn't motivate them to change. When you tell them what they could be, that's preaching for faith. It's calling things that are not as though they were. If somebody comes to me and says rick A, you're a lousy father, my tendency would be to say, I start thinking of all the ways I could have been a better father. Well, I could have done that, and I could have done that, and I could have done that and could yeah, and you're right, I'm a lousy father. I could have been a better father. That doesn't change me. But if somebody comes to me and says, rick I see in you the potential to be a great father, a great dad. I see in you, with your life committed to Christ and God's spirit living in you, you could be an incredible godly man. You could be a man of God that your kids would love and honor, and that your wife would cherish. You could be the kind of godly man that the neighborhood and community would respect. And I see in you that spark, that potential if you'll just let Christ control your life, that motivates me to change. Tell it like it could be. Not the way does nagging work? Has it ever worked on you? Nagging? No, it doesn't work from the pulpit either. That's why I don't nag you every week. It's why I don't not get up here every week and do sin of the week. You're blowing this, you're doing this, you're doing And there's a lot of stuff I could say about you, really, but I don't, because why just telling you all the things you're doing wrong? Hey, come back next week and I'll tell you ten more things you're doing wrong. Yeah, In fact, bring a friend. You don't get that kind of teaching it saddleback, Why it doesn't change anybody. It is faith that wells up in our heart that changes, not telling it like it is, but telling it like it could be, and doing it the way God says, calling things that are not as though they were. You can do this, friends. Every single major milestone in Saddleback Church's history, I spoke it into existence. I announced it. This is what's gonna happen before anybody else believed it. Every single time nobody else believed it. When I was held the very first service of Saddleback and sixty people, the little trial run service before Easter, and I got up and I read a vision called the Saddleback Vision. Some of you seen that stateton where I outlined the kind of campus have and what the buildings would look like, and that we were gonna have twenty thousand members by twenty twenty, and that we would have fifty acres of land. And everybody lacked. Oh yeah, who is this twenty five year old kid who's saying we're gonna want to have fifty acres and twenty thousand members. The only problem with that vision it was too small. God wanted us to have one hundred and twenty acres, and we hit the twenty thousand mark in the year two thousand, not twenty twenty. This, by the way, is how we're saved by speaking and advance our salvation by confessing our faith in Christ. That's an announcing in advance. Look at this verse the Bible says, for it is by our faith that we're put right with God. It is by our confession that means we speak it that we are saved, which, by the way, is why I lead into prayer every week at the end of the service, and I say, I want you to pray this prayer. Why I'm causing you to speak, to confess your faith. I'm helping verbalize for you your faith in God. That's why we always have a prayer at the end of this prayer. If you've never invited Christ in your life, I'm going to invite you to do that, to follow me in that prayer. And when we're baptized, we're publicly confessing our faith, saying to the world I'm not ashamed to say I'm a believer.
Speaker 1: Hey, did you know that tomorrow is Giving Tuesday? Yeah, it's a global day dedicated to generosity, and starting today, you have a powerful opportunity to share the certain hope of Jesus Christ with people all around the world through Daily Hope. Thanks to some generous friends, every gift that you give today and tomorrow will be doubled up to twenty five thousand dollars through a special Giving Tuesday matching grant. Now time is of the essence because we'll lose any part of the Giving Tuesday grant that isn't matched by midnight tomorrow. So please act now by going to pastor dot com. That's pastorick dot com, or just text the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. That's the word hope to seven oh three to oh nine. Be sure to join us next time as we look into God's word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.