Speaker 1: Your name, poor Butler, your age twenty six, charge against you stealing vehicles, pack.
Speaker 2: Up, stealing vehicles, conspiracy to rob.
Speaker 1: And burgulary sentence five ten years prosed.
Speaker 2: Having served two and a half years at the state prison, and having received the permission of the warden, and before this board up for.
Speaker 3: Parole tonight again another in the exciting new crime series Up for parole, Authentic Cases is actually presented before the parole boards in your state prisons, and told here for the first time.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen, you're about to sit in judgment on another human being, whether he shall become your neighbor, your employee, perhaps your friend, or remain where you society have put him behind prison bars. Well, that human being is a social offender, a criminal now up or parole. Remember, at the close of tonight's broadcast, you can compare your own judgment with the official decision of an actual state parole board. I ask you, therefore, to listen and consider seriously the story you are about to hear, told from the official records of Paul Botwin, prison number eight two four dashed three seven one, now pleading before the parole board and before you or his freedom on.
Speaker 2: The way things happen. I I didn't think at the time I did it when I stole a car and the rest at the this was a crime not only against society, but against myself too. But gentlemen of the board, since I got in a stir, I had a lot of time to think. I followed all the regulations and stayed away from influences. I think therefore, gentlemen, I am eligible for your kind consideration. Well that's about it.
Speaker 5: Who wrote that speech for you?
Speaker 1: But one, sir, you can pick up one like that from an a jail house lawyer for a buck.
Speaker 5: Is that what they told you that we wanted to hear.
Speaker 2: Nobody coached me, nobody told me to say anything.
Speaker 1: That's how I had the point first. I think we better start from the beginning, yes, sir. Now, the warden's report here says that you refuse to see visitors, especially refused to see your mother.
Speaker 2: Oh look, you gotta bring.
Speaker 5: In a letter to the warden.
Speaker 2: Your mother writes, what difference of what does it make what you write?
Speaker 1: He says, you used to stand in front of a picture of your father, your dead father, a picture in the living room and talk to him.
Speaker 5: Get it out with you as if he were alive.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, it with her and him, my mother and my old man, my girl too, and her old man, all of them. They made me like this. They wanted me to be like this. They wanted a liar and a crook, and they got it. They made me do it. I can tell you the way they made me do it. They got just exactly what they asked for. Is that what you wanted to know? That what you wanted me to say? Okay, I said it.
Speaker 1: Well, if you said your piece but one, you can leave now. The board will make its decision. Or if you want to, you can tell us what that outburst is all about. Yeah, what it means standing in front of your father's picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, I'll tell you. I'll tell you the whole thing. Six years ago, I was the good kid in my neighborhood. People used to say to their own kids, there goes poor but one. Why can't you be like him? I was nineteen going on twenty going to mechanics school at the time. I got the good news about five o'clock, so I came home in surprise. Mind, who is that?
Speaker 4: Did you?
Speaker 2: Paul? Why did you take off your apron mind no, but no questions. Just take off the apron, mom, and get on your new dress and pin these on.
Speaker 6: Of course, I why, Paul, you and me.
Speaker 2: We're gonna paint the town mob. We're going out the best Chinese restaurant. There is anything you want on the menu. It happened, It happened and more. Remember I told you. At the end of the turn, the specialists come down from that electronics company and so on, big shots to pick three men for jobs, sure fire jobs. Well I got tapped number two men start at thirty nine to seventy five the first week. Paul, Oh my, I'm cut that out. They'll take you an extra half hour to fix up your face. Come on, Oh, Paul, go ahead, get your coat. Ma I already ordered the table.
Speaker 7: Tell him, Paul, he was a man with standards.
Speaker 2: He'd be proud if only he were alive. Now, all right, Mama, I'll tell him you you go ahead and get ready. I went into the living room where his picture hung, my father's picture right over the piano, big photo colored by an artist, and I stood there like I did ever since he died.
Speaker 8: When he was poor.
Speaker 2: High your pie, my thought you ought to know about me being picked out for the job and all that. It may not be much, but I'll work hard. I'll make you proud of me.
Speaker 9: Pa.
Speaker 10: I'm ready for you.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, Ma.
Speaker 11: You know it's almost like he was smiling. Man, I know, song, Pa, it was a lion.
Speaker 4: The whole thing was a dirty.
Speaker 5: Loved Hold on, now about her.
Speaker 1: If you can control yourself, we will listen to the rest of your story.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, I'll try. It was just one month later, the day I graduated. I was to start to work. The next day I came home. Ma wasn't there. I was going out with Matha that night. She was my girl, and I I started to get ready. Who's there? Yeah? Can I help you?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: Look, Mac, this is my house. Who are you?
Speaker 6: Ain't changed?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 2: And where do you think you're going?
Speaker 5: You got a drink in the house.
Speaker 2: Hey, wait a minute, I don't mind a guy walking in it. Look, Mac just told you would think you were blood.
Speaker 6: Take a good long look, boy. Maybe you can answer your question yourself. You want. Ah, that's just who I am. What she told you?
Speaker 12: You can't be.
Speaker 6: Leave it to Emma, good old Emma.
Speaker 5: Always tell the truth. Never lie ever steal.
Speaker 6: She told you I was dead, didn't she? She never told you about him over the piano? Then, well, he was in state prison for an lawfulantry burglar reviolation of the Sullivan Act fifteen to twenty years. She never told you, then, she never told you your old man was a con. We'll take a good long look, sonny, because you're old man has come home. Now, how about a drink? How about a good long drink reunited you?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, it's impossible.
Speaker 12: You can't be.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't do a thing like that, telling me that you are him, You are him.
Speaker 12: Look at the picture, say, mom ie, you wouldn't hear me.
Speaker 2: You're the same, the same.
Speaker 5: The same quard where you're gone?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 10: Who wants to know?
Speaker 13: You're gonna stop me?
Speaker 2: Next twenty four hours, the whole world fell on top of me, a whole life, a life of a life of lies.
Speaker 14: Everything I thought was facing was phony. Everything I believed there was a lie. I didn't know who I hated more, my father or my mother?
Speaker 6: But what did I care?
Speaker 2: What happened my job? That didn't matter.
Speaker 14: People I knew were saying things behind my back, lives saying they knew it all along.
Speaker 2: That was too good to be true. Okay, I said, okay, I'll be what I am, the son of a convict. I changed, I got hard. Never again was I going to be soft, get sucked in by lies. I'd showed them.
Speaker 15: I don't think it's a good idea for.
Speaker 2: My girl, Martha. She didn't understand yet, that's how big the change was. Even she didn't understand. We were talking together in a drug store, in a back booth, safe place.
Speaker 15: You sure it's a good idea for.
Speaker 2: What am I going to do? Go back and live there, look at him every morning and her listen to the explanations and all that kind of stuff. Look now, I'm on my own and I got plans, kid, I got real plans. I don't you go soft on me too. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Your old man says it. If I see you, he'll he'll break my neck. Well, i'd like to see him try. He's still with me, aren't you?
Speaker 15: Of course?
Speaker 2: Okay with you. I can look at them up, every stinking one of them, the neighborhood, my job, my own man, and her. What's wrong?
Speaker 12: My father, Arthur?
Speaker 13: Get up and get out of here. Now, look, mister, see him again, and here you are hiding. We're you know who he's been hanging out with, the kind of company he keeps, the things he's been doing. But when what did I tell you I do to you? If I caught you again with my daughter? I told you I'd break.
Speaker 5: I'll get out here.
Speaker 13: And if I ever catch you so much as looking at her again, well, what you just got is only a sample, Botwin, just a sample.
Speaker 2: It made me look like thirty in front of Martha. They made that happen, my old man in my mother. Okay, I thought before I knew where I was heading. Now I knew for sure, but absolute sure, Yo, Lefty, you got a straight and Tenny closes up the store. He's been averaging two fifty two seventy five a night Friday night. You ought to have at least three hundred. Now you take a look out, Vince, Lefty, you're going to the store first, and I'll handle the heavy work. Come on, let's go. It's parked on a corner of one hundred and thirty seventh in Treeline, a Cadillac with white wall tires. The keys were in the club comparted now I'll meet chat Samuche's garage at fifteen minutes a grand at least it split three ways. Look, but I said everything in the registers. But I already told you, told me enough how I'm feeling you. And then came the best, the best of the whole bunch. I was watching my step, staying in a friend's place, and he found me. Oh, I don't know. He got the right knock and I opened the door. My old man, Well, how do you like that? Come on, get in, shut the door? Were you following? No?
Speaker 5: I was careful. Paul, I got to talk to you.
Speaker 2: What do you got to say to me?
Speaker 6: Paul, I'm on parole. You know then, I'm good behavior. What you've been doing it sin. It's been getting around. They're blaming me, boy, They say if I ad a fit father, I ineligible anymore to be on parole. They're gonna send me back to the pen. That's five years. You don't know what that means, boy, I waited sixteen years for this to get.
Speaker 5: Out and have a chance. You're lost me up.
Speaker 2: Oh brother, that's the best I ever heard. Thin. Gonna send you back for being a bad father because your son is doing jobs in the neighborhood.
Speaker 5: But what are you gonna do? Marsus and shut up?
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you. Do I care about you going back to prison?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 2: I care a part. I care so much that if I had an ese spit to waste, I'd spit right in your eye. Okay, that's what they wanted. They made me a crook, my own man, Martha's father and neighbors, and her he's so called mother. They got just what they asked for. Is is that what you wanted to know, gentlemen of the pro boy?
Speaker 1: That wasn't the end, was it? But that was just a beginning. There was arrest too for the carthef sentence to Pine Hill. It was the first prison term, and then there was more.
Speaker 2: You want to hear that too, all right, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: We'll return to our file in just a moment. But first, this Sunday night, Genial Horace Height will hold his first quarter finals of nineteen fifty on his CBS Youth Opportunity Program. During these first months of the year, Horse has been making the rounds of the towns and cities finding new and fine young entertainers, and the pick of these will compete this Sunday night when Horace Heights original Youth Opportunity program comes round on most of these same CBS networkstation. Now back to the true story of Paul Botwin. Prisen number eight two four dash three seven one The man who is up for parole proceed Bodwin.
Speaker 2: I did my time as best they could at pine Hill. They treated me fairy. You try to give you a break. I served my time and after a year I got out.
Speaker 1: You were at pine Hill, an institution for first defenders, a Wallace prisoner.
Speaker 5: I got schools there, no hard labor. Warden wrote me a letter.
Speaker 1: He said that when you finally finished serving your term, you were offered three jobs. Two were in your own line telephone repairment. You turned them down. The other one was in a silkhouse as a shipping clerk. Why did you take that job?
Speaker 2: Well, while I was at Pine Hill, I met two guys who told me I was a sucker if I didn't take the job at the silk warehouse, because because it was an easy money deal. If I made my plans right. You see, Martha left home and I could see her anytime I wanted, and she'd marry me no matter what. Her all man said, So I wanted to make money quick, big money, so we could get married. Well, when I did get out, I took the job and in a month I had the place all case.
Speaker 1: That's what we want to hear about when the truth. Now, tell me, did you see this girl Martha?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I saw quite a bit of her, But I didn't tell her what I was up to. I only told her that soon we'd have some money and we'd go out west, somewhere, get out of town.
Speaker 15: Oh, I still don't understand what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Well here, you have a good job to get out of this town. You just lead everything to me. It's big things coming, baby, real big paul.
Speaker 15: I don't care. The main thing is you and me. Oh why don't we stay here? Well?
Speaker 9: What can you build on?
Speaker 2: A family? A father or mother like yours and mine?
Speaker 15: You want to see your mother, paw?
Speaker 2: Keep her out of it.
Speaker 15: Look, paw, she's worked all this time, she saved the little money. She's ready to give it to you. We could maybe start a business or.
Speaker 2: Oh Martha, you're still on that. Look, make up your mind. You're with me or against me? Oh she's your mother, she's a liar. That's what she is. She's the one that started the whole thing. You know that I won't.
Speaker 15: She's been waiting half an hour.
Speaker 2: She's here, she's outside.
Speaker 15: She just wants to tell you how sorry she is.
Speaker 2: All right, Martha, go ahead, open the door, tell her to come in. Martha said, my mother was coming to see me. Well, I got news for you. My mother's dead. She died when I was a little boy of four. She was a fine woman with standards, but she died. That's right. My mother's dead. Now, go on, get out.
Speaker 1: But when yes, mister chairman board, i'd like to know if that's still your attitude.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know she's alive. If that's what you mean.
Speaker 1: I also meant that during your stay in the state prison, you've consistently refused to see her, open her letters, put her right to her.
Speaker 2: That's the way I feel right now. I just said it.
Speaker 5: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: So I went on with the plans. I had a heist job at the Silk Plan because that's what they wanted me to do. Okay, that's what what's gonna do. First I saw the fence.
Speaker 8: You got the truck tag right right, you're doing delivery on the truck right in the back. Yeah, that's right, Okay, trucks do with the plant in Coopersville forty seven minute run time to the second she blows the tie and to turn out over near Fremont Road. While you're fixing it at trucks drive up. Tom's in at the company driver. You take care of our boys will slide the silk into the trucks. One hits for the Inner City Bridge, the other takes the North End Tunnel.
Speaker 2: You get ten grand for the job. The risk goes to me. Oh it was smooth, flat tire taking Caro of Zana. The company driver transfer the goods to the Fencer's two trucks, one smooth as silk. One filled up and headed for the Inner City Bridge, the other one for the tunnel. Me on it, Me and the fence's driver. Ten thousand was a good start and they'd be more plenty more. Well. We took the Extension Highway, turned north at River Street, and then I saw the lights in the tunnel. They were blinking on and off. What's the matter, what's the matter they're blinking?
Speaker 5: I don't know what was it for us?
Speaker 13: Maybe a traffic.
Speaker 2: Smart we'll get your foot on the gas.
Speaker 13: What do you think I'm doing when.
Speaker 9: They're closing it up, it is us. It's no good. It's not that trap. I'll carry out, not tricks.
Speaker 2: They gave me the business in court, I took a plea guilty. What did I care? Because the first thing they told me when they got me in the station, the very first thing we.
Speaker 8: Had allow good looking kid too, the name of Martha Collins.
Speaker 2: After that, what did I care? She was like ma, a liar, like all of them.
Speaker 5: That said button. That's all there is.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, except I've been serving my time. I never got no marks against spy report.
Speaker 5: That's all you think that warrants parole.
Speaker 2: That's up to you.
Speaker 1: No, it's up to you too, because your records have a couple of other things on it too, Like that course you start to take and layth of the work and would work out of motive repair course.
Speaker 2: That you start, Uh, what's that got to do with anything?
Speaker 5: What's the matter? You're shamed?
Speaker 1: You shamed that there's any decency left in you? Is that what you're ashamed of? Ashamed of? Maybe the world won't think that you're tough hard Paul, butwin number eight two four three seven one is that what you're ashamed of.
Speaker 2: I got nothing to say.
Speaker 5: Oh, yes, it's okay.
Speaker 1: But when you've got two visitors, Principal Keeper wants to know whether you will see them.
Speaker 5: No, don't you want to know who they are.
Speaker 2: I know who they are.
Speaker 1: Ward's going to pass judgment on your case within the next hour. We're sending you out now, but one because we have to hear another case. That'll take about a half an hour. Then we'll decide yours send for you.
Speaker 10: You can go now, Helloma, Alo Martha.
Speaker 12: Paul.
Speaker 15: It's just one thing. I never chipped off the police. They just said I did it so you'd tell about the rest of the king.
Speaker 7: I thought you want to know.
Speaker 12: Thanks, But that's not important.
Speaker 15: The important thing is, Paul, I feel so guilty about how little I made you understand. I wanted you the way you were before. I didn't want you and me against the whole world. I wanted to be part of the world with you. That's all I ever wanted. Can you understand that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paul, can I say something in my own stupid way up, I'll save him. I'll save my boy by keeping the truth from him. But you can't build a life on a line like that, And now the only thing I care about is well, I hope you don't hate me too much and you won't.
Speaker 15: Hate me forever.
Speaker 13: Oh and one thing too, You to.
Speaker 2: Know, Paul, your you're Papaul.
Speaker 1: He died.
Speaker 7: He died because he had nothing, not you, not me, nothing, And well I was the cause of that.
Speaker 12: Too, that's all, Martha, Wait.
Speaker 2: We better go, missus maid Worth.
Speaker 12: He died because because he had nothing in what's the use of talking?
Speaker 2: What's there to say? Goodbye? I'm I'm glad you came.
Speaker 1: But when yeah, board's ready, let's go. Is there anything else before we decide?
Speaker 5: But one?
Speaker 2: No, sir, No, that's all.
Speaker 5: But when all.
Speaker 1: Along you've showed two sides of yourself, the decent side and the self pitying side, the side of you that says I got shoved hit.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'll shove back. But there's another you.
Speaker 1: But one there's a young man there who wants to belong, to embrace his mother and get married and all that that.
Speaker 2: Oh, what's the sense? Come on, get it over with.
Speaker 1: You had something to say, Yeah, yeah, I got something to say.
Speaker 2: My old man instead, you know why? Because me me his son, I.
Speaker 12: Spit in his face. I told him go ahead and die.
Speaker 2: Who cares? I didn't care what happened to him, to them, to me, to anyone. And I killed him. That's what I wanted to say.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's all all right.
Speaker 1: Butterfin board will make its decision.
Speaker 5: I step outside with the guard.
Speaker 4: While Paul Botwin waits and the parole board reviews his story and his parole file. You too have a decision to make on his case. Way Paul Botwin's story carefully before you form your judge, because in a moment you will have an opportunity to compare your decision with that of the actual board before which he appeared.
Speaker 3: The cream of the fun and songs on Arthur Godfrey's daytime shows are now brought to you in a half hour special Godfreed Digest every Saturday night on CBS. So if you want a fast half hour of humor and songs by Jeanette Davis, Bill Lawrence and the Mariners, listening every Saturday night to the Godfreed Digest on most of these same CBS stations. And now back to the case of Paul Botwin, who is up for parole?
Speaker 1: Paul, buttwin Yes, Sir, when a prisoner has learned a lesson after his harsh years of incarceration. When a man begins to learn a bitter lesson, this board will always be sympathetic. When a man stops blaming society for his shortcomings and begins to place the blame where it belongs upon himself, he's learned the basic truth. Paul, buttwin, this board believes that you have begun to learn that basic truth, and therefore parole granted.
Speaker 3: And to day, Paul Botwin, parole prisoner, is a telephone linesman in an eastern city, a useful citizen, a married man with a son of his own. Paul Botwin has justified the faith you and your parole board placed in him when he was up for parole. You've been listening to Up for Parole with Michael O'Day written by Arnold Pearl and direct by Mitchell Grayson, research by Wally Gould, music conducted by Harry Salter. Listen again at the same time next week when CBS will bring you the actual story of case three three seven five O B Up for Parole. Listen to CBS Were You Thrilled? To Gangbusters? Every Saturday night, the Columbia Broadcasting System