Speaker 1: I did an episode where I wore blackface. The context was well irrelevant because it's not okay to do blackface ever, but slash and there is irony because in this episode I played an ignorant woman in a liberal bubble who thought she was illuminating racism by wearing blackface. What I didn't realize then is that in reality, I was an ignorant woman in a liberal bubble who thought I was illuminating racism by wearing blackface.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a dot Cover Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joey, how has technology altered our relationship with comedy? How do we know when to laugh and when to be outraged? What's even funny anymore?
Speaker 3: We're excited to talk with Jacques berliner Blau, the Rabbi Herald White, professor of Jewish Civilization, at Georgetown University and author of the new book Can We Laugh at That Comedy and a Conflicted Age? Jacques. Welcome to Amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Hi guys, I'm so happy to be here, so happy.
Speaker 3: So could you tell us about your background and how you got into comedy as a research subject.
Speaker 4: I was a cut up as a child, obviously like all of us here, but I was never I never formally studied comedy. I studied two separate things that came together and created comedy. One of them was literature, and I realized literature was kind of dying on the vine. Nobody was reading. My students weren't reading, I wasn't reading, but everybody was vibing with comedy over the last ten years. So I just wanted to take a look at an art form that was growing, as opposed to an art form that regrettably was dying. The other thing I do, what I'm known for, is I work on something called political secularism, and one of the great deliverables of a politically secular regime is freedom of speech. And comedy questions and probes and interrogates free speech laws like perhaps no other art form, with the exception of literature.
Speaker 2: Other than that, which is a really good connection between literature and comedy. Was it an easy, I guess crossover into that world? Is Are there similarities between literature and comedy that go beyond the free speech zone?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Because I worked on funny writers. So I worked obviously on Philip Roth. I wrote a book about Philip Roth. That guy's pretty funny. I teach courses on comedic fiction, which is very, very different from stand up That's the thing I've always got to explain it. This is not stand up comedy, like writing a joke and telling a joke or two totally different artistic genres. So I work on writers like Paul Beattie. I can find the humor in a book off right. So I was always looking for the funny written word. So I think I had some credibility to make the transition. I don't think this came completely out of left field. I was always trying to understand why things were funny, and of course that's how you make them really unfunny. Like when it's like Freud's analysis of jokes, remember that, and like he's like breaking these jokes down and you're not laughing. So as soon as you subject comedy to analysis. I regret to say you pull out the quality that makes it so special, but you understand it, which is which is really important. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the funniest thing about Freud's book about jokes is that Freud wrote a book about jokes.
Speaker 4: He thought he was very funny. I mean you can tell, like when he pulls out of telling you a joke and explaining it, it's like, excellent, a wonderful joke, the most amusing bromide.
Speaker 2: You observe that stand up comedy is at the center of today's free speech controversies.
Speaker 4: Why is that? Is something about stand up? Stand up is emerging as this art form that we have to think about really, really carefully. I think stand up unlike other art forms, and I can do this bit that I always do. Like art forms that don't translate well to the internet, stand up is like genetically coded and built to translate to the digital world. Right. So, a comedian standing in front of a brick wall, it's very very low tech. Somebody's got a little camera. They tell a joke. The joke usually last I don't know, five to fifteen to twenty seconds. Boom, right, you snap it, you download it. You post and it's there. You can't do that with ballet. I want to do this bit, you can't do that. It's really hard to do with jazz. Jazz this is one of my great loves or failed jazz musician, and you can't do it with glass blowing. Like so every glass blower're listening to this show is like, this guy gets me right. He understands who I am and what I deal with as a glass blow. Comedy just translates. I don't know, It's like the Internet and comedy have an elect what Max Weber would call an elective affinity. They found one another for better and maybe for worse.
Speaker 3: Something that I think sort of bridges the gap. You know, my in laws have a XM radio and there's a couple of comedy channels on there, and it's always a little bit weird hearing these comics I've never heard of before telling jokes, but it also sort of works. There's also that you know, comics unleased show that's now taking over for Colbert, And I'm also thinking, you know, recently we did an episode about Rodney Dangerfield and I could pull out any joke from that book and tell it to my family and they were still hilarious with or without the Rodney Dangerfield accent. So there is something kind of I guess, the tidbit nature of it that that seems like the jokes work so well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so, Joey, I do exactly what you do. For five years, I've been listening to those XM comedy shows, and I've learned that when you listen to a second tier comedian, you learn a lot about comedy. Like when you when you hear a stand up struggling, I learned I'm like, oh, now the timings off right, Oh, we should have waited for it. It's so easy obviously for me to say that, not having done stand up. But XM is this great tool because they've got like five different comedy channels there, right, They're like Kevin Hart's got a channel, right. Then there's like some Southern Bubba channel, right, And I listened to them all. But one thing that I really get listening to comedy. I don't know if you've noticed this, Joey, is these guys must have a lot of heart attacks and strokes on stage. Right, So you're listening to a comedian and you and the audience is laughing and their voices are rising. So if you ever listen to like a seven or ten minute set like the cadence or the rhythm between where it was when it started and where it is where it ended, I just think this would be a great statistic, right, Comedians that have stroked out on stage, Comedians rushed to the emergency room. I know that very funny comedian Glass he had a heart attack. I think it's very very common, and it's just something about this art form. You've got this audience in front of you, and you're getting excited, and you're talking louder and louder and faster and faster, and then coronary complications ensue, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm also thinking about the three Mitch Hedberg albums, two of which were released when he was alive and one which was posthumous. All have very different feels. The first one, you know, sounds very much influenced by weed, I would say, and the latter two seem like maybe different substances. But his last one that was posthumous, is like pretty frenetic, So it's almost like he got more and more phrenetic over the course of his career in a way. But also I had a comedy DVD of Mitch Hedberg's and I remember watching the uncut version of it and seeing a full comedic roller coaster of him like kind of bombing, and then sort of picking it up and getting the audience with him, and then watching the Comedy Central edited version, which was all of the best hits and really like singing it together in a perfect way that you know it's not entirely accurate, but works much better for a half hour of TV.
Speaker 4: Joey, is there like a drug narrative here? I really do want to talk about drugs and art because I've been thinking about this a lot. So are you saying that either weed or cocaine or something was infusing these sets? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean Mitch Hedberg. I mean my favorite joke of his is or one of the I can use, honestly say a joke for everything that happens in my life. But his joke was, you know, I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to too. His first set very laid back and probably under the influence of marijuana. He has a stand up bass player who's kind of keeping the flow going in a jazzy cool way. And then his second album is a lot more kind of I would say drunk. He seems like he's a lot more loose and kind of happy, go lucky. And then the posthumous album really did seem like it could have been cocaine or something like that, because he was very high energy.
Speaker 4: So I've been thinking a lot about drugs and art, so I read I forget the author, Let's find him. He wrote something about heroin and the New York arts scene in the sixties, seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: Is it heroin in music in New York City?
Speaker 4: That's it Parry spot. The argument was that that drug and comedy, right, the drug infiltrated the esthetic, right, and it became part of the esthetic. And then I was thinking, I'm not gonna mention names because some of these guys are still alive. Fusion drummers in the early seventies, right, So if you're listening to these guys their drum fills, I don't know if you guys played drums. I used to play drums, right, These are like these massive drum fills, like right, And somebody whispered in my ear. Yeah, that's because they had just covered cocaine, right, So cocaine was driving the sound of a very particular type of jazz offshoot known as fusion jazz. So I've been thinking a lot about the way drugs impact art. Classical musicians are telling me about beta blockers of lane. They get so nervous that they want to slow down their heart, right. So I just think there's a great book to be written, maybe by Joey, maybe by Jonathan, maybe by Mike. I don't know about drugs and art. Well.
Speaker 2: I think comedic controversies and drugs come together in the person of Lenny Bruce, if you want to tell us a little bit about him and how he maybe foreshadowed some of the controversies of today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Lenny Bruce. Look, I'm going to be very honest. When I listened to Lenny Bruce, now it's hard for me to laugh, right, So your force fed this idea. This guy was a genius, right, he was an icon, and I'm sure he was, but I'm just not finding it funny. And that's something weird about comedy that it tends to be very time and place specific. Right, So unless you know what companies is referring to and what politicians, right, you can hear the genius and the cadences, and there's a lot of stuff that he did in his life which is just non pere right, all right, So Lenny Bruce, why is Lenny Bruce interesting? Lenny Bruce was in many ways a precursor to what we're seeing today. Before there was the Internet. Lenny Bruce didn't need the internet right to get himself into all sorts of trouble. He's the classic example of a comedian who makes a joke that people really really don't find funny, and they get organized into a coherent block and they try to shut him down. The case is really really tragic because, as we know, this eventually led to his suicide. Right, we know that he was addicted to heroin. But Lenny Bruce would play clubs around the country and local law enforcement, not federal, local law enforcement would be in attendance, and they just be like ticks, you know, ready to descend on a deer, right, They just be waiting for him to say those words that could not be said, whatever, cocksucker with it, whatever it was, and then they were to arrest him. What I found kind of cool is I read an account of Letty Bruce in which he was arrested. I believe it was in San Francisco at nine to thirty, arrested, booked, released, and came back for like the eleven thirty set and made jokes about the whole process, right, And that to me, I was like, Aha, he really is a pioneer, because what I noticed in like Dave Chappelle's work, or Kathy Griffin's work to a certain degree Shane Shane Shane Gillis, is they would bring the controversies that their jokes created back into their jokes. And that is a really combustive recipe. You want to piss people off, do that, all right, make your set about people getting annoyed at the jokes you made in your previous set. And Chappelle went down this road for like five specials running, especially in the Closer. I don't think it did anyone any good, all right. I don't think it was good for his mental health, which I'm somewhat I was somewhat concerned about. I don't think it's good for comedy. I don't think it's good for audiences to be in this like raw raw mode. We're like, you got them, Dave, You show those LGBTQ, right, So that move I believe Lenny Bruce was the first person I know of who did it. And then there was like thirty years where I don't think people were doing it because they didn't have to write comedy. Free speech was in a place where people could say whatever they wanted. You could complain, but for the most part, you weren't going to get canceled. Because of the Internet, cancelation is now a real possibility. It's almost like a quotidian work day reality for the American comedian.
Speaker 2: And as you're saying this, I mean Chappelle's work as he's in this loop, as you described in the book, is also not very funny. When he's commenting on his controversy and it just becomes sort of a lecture rant existential whatever, and it's not really funny.
Speaker 4: It feels like a political rally. Right now, Chappelle is a genius. We can't deny that. Right This guy is a master of his craft. But I think his craft suffered because he got into what I call this loop, right this feedback loop where he's so mad at the critics and the critics won't back down, and it degrades everything. It degrades the comedy. It degrades the comedian, and it degrades the audiences. So I would urge comedians. If do you guys have a large listenership of comedians, I imagine you do. Maybe they have to learn how to let it go, right, like really really let it go. I'm thinking about Chris Rock. Remember selective outrage? Remember that, and everybody is waiting for him to talk about Will Smith. Everyone, right. I thought what was cool about selective outrage is the punch was the last, last, last joke, right. He did not spend his entire set complaining about being punched in the face in front of like a billion people, and it was a great line. You know, people ask me why didn't punch them back? Right? Pause? Right? Because my parents taught me don't fight in front of white people. I'm paraphrasing, obviously. I mean that is that smoked the room. The room's going crazy. He drops the microphone. He literally dropped the microphone and out. So I think Chris Rock understood the deformation to one's art that will occur if one becomes obsessed by their own controversies.
Speaker 2: Is it possible to separate comedians from their comedy stand ups?
Speaker 4: No? I mean, like you know stand ups that are like right there, right in front of you, in their own body, under their own name. I'm sure there have been stand ups that go in a kind of drag or in costumes under stage names, and nobody actually knows who they are. I think stand up is a very interesting art form in that it's so embodied, like it's your physical body, it's often your name. You know, a stand up usually will begin by making a derogatory reference to their own body. Right. I once saw a guy with a T shirt. He was this humongous guy, right, and he had a T shirt that said dilfh on it, and it just just cracking me up. I don't know why. It was just so funny, right, it was like some second tier communient. It said dilf right, and he was just talking about his body. The entire set. Is he the same person as his persona? No, right, the persona is this thing he radiates for fifteen or ten minutes on stage. Right, the person is the guy who goes home and you know, smokes grass and you know has a family. But there's this Venn diagram like overlap in stand up comedy, which makes it a very volatile and I think fascinating art form. Right, I'd love to spend ten years right studying the mechanics of stand up, but unfortunately I've got other projects in the works.
Speaker 2: There are examples like Dame ed Nah and Tony Clifton, right, who are alter egos for comedians. But I think even someone like Don Rickles, who would you know say that when he goes on stage and he's the biggest jerk in the world, it's just an act, and that you know, his friends and acquaintances would confirm that he was a really nice guy otherwise, Right, I don't know if there's that same differentiation now because of social media and everybody's sort of presenting themselves in their character online as a brand, you.
Speaker 4: Know, really good point. I think the the energy or the torque of social media is like be yourself, right, be who you are and post a lot. I think that's really also bad for comedians, This this bottomless pit of talking about the self and promoting the self. I mean, I have two sons that are artists and one of them is a musician. He's always posting these little snippets of his I'm like, you didn't need the post that it wasn't that good, dude. I mean, it was fine, You've done better. But as he explains it to me, he's like, that's what we all do, right, we all play and we take like the best thirty forty seconds and we do a little Instagram. Right. Here's something that's interesting. I was reading about a South African comedian who walked into the biggest comedy club in South Africa. I guess it was in Pretoria or Johannesburg, and he had like a tape and he was like, sir, here's my tape. And the guy said, I don't want to see your tape, show me your Instagram. I want to see how many followers you have. That's really interesting, right, and he had like ten thousand followers. Said okay, you get a five minute spot. And I think that's the way the technology is changing the art form, probably not for the better. Right. So there's this relentless pressure on artists in so many fields, even the glassblowers who we mentioned earlier, right to show the world that they have all these followers. Right. I've been stuck on like one thousand, five hundred Twitter followers like eight years, and I wear it like a badge. Of honor, right, like I cannot get past one thousand and five. Und I feel I'm doing something right, right, I mean, twelve hundred of them are like bots anyhow. Right, So to those three hundred people, I salute you, and to the four or five billion that aren't following me, I salute you as well. Right, you validate, you validate what I do my project.
Speaker 2: I was watching a lecture by an art historian today talking about how, you know, back in the day Picasso and Michael Langelo and all the greats, they didn't need that kind of nonsense. And maybe, as he was saying, you know, if they had to kind of post like process images of their work or whatever, it would have gotten in the way of the actual artwork.
Speaker 4: But you think, I'm like JD. Salinger, even Philip Roth. I mean, so many writers that I studied just did not want to be in the public eye. And probably what they understood is that's that's crack cocaine. That's dangerous stuff right being out, and it's bad for my art. But I don't think the young general of artists as much of a choice, and that's a problem, that's a real problem.
Speaker 3: Enjoining the show click like and subscribe. What is the pre digital liberal free speech consensus and how has it challenged in our social media world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the part of the book where imagine a lot of the comedians would be like blah blah blah blah. Like they were just like like, if comedians were reading this, they might tune out there because I had to work through a lot of jurisprudence and Supreme Court cases, and that comes from the research I did on political secularism. Suffice to say that between nineteen fifty seven to like nineteen sixty five, there was a tectonic shift in how we thought about free speech in the United States, and like the gates opened and Visa the comedy. The idea was, it's just a goddamn joke. If you don't like it, don't purchase it, or don't go to the club. Let it live, let it breathe, even if it's offensive, Let it live, let it breathe. Right, A strong democracy And now we're going back to John suit Mill on liberty and a Meal Dirk on right. A democracy thrives when it can process or it can absorb really bad, mean spirited jokes. Right, And that's in the pre digital age, and I think that law was commensurate with the age. It made a lot of sense, right, But now we have this new technology, and as I read reviews of my book, a lot of folks are not comfortable with what I'm saying. Right. What I'm saying is this new technology means we might have to rethink some of our free speech givens. Right. Why Because with this new technology, you can make a joke about Jews or Palestinians, and you can make this joke about Jews are Palestinians and in a part of the world where they're a minority, and in really bad repercussions can can ensue from your joke, right, because it's out there and you're making fun of them. So I think about LGBTQ folk in particular, right, jokes are made at their expense, They're multiplied online. Somebody's at the water cooler, they hear this joke. It undermines their self esteem. So I'm this pre digital free liberal free speech consensus is under attack globally. It's under attack from the far right and the far left. That's what my sixth chapter, about a French comedian called Juduni, is about. I don't think it deserves to be under attack. But I think liberal theorists, and I call myself a liberal theorist, have to like rethink free speech. Mister Madison wasn't on Twitter, he didn't have Instagram, right, he didn't understand that power, and that power is really negative. So I don't want to sound too ludite about things, but the advent of digital technology and the Internet, I feel has changed the free speech game now. When I was reading reports from free speech oversight organizations right free speech watchdogs, they were all saying the same thing, even though we disagree on what the solution is. They were saying, it's a paradox that in the age of the Internet, we are finding more crackdowns on expressive liberty than prior to the isn't a paradox, right, So now governments India is an example of Venezuela as an example, Cuba is an example, China is an example. Right, they're looking at what the Internet puts out there and they're creating laws or trying to create laws that circumscribe what can be said on the Internet. Right, So it's a double edged sword. Right, the Internet permitted all this speech and it also led the powers that be to find ingenius ways to crack down.
Speaker 2: Maybe one of the things that the Internet has done is sort of expose is the dark side of humanity in a way that you know. Previously it was a little more structured in terms of who gets to have the microphone, what stories are written and printed, and there were more official organs that sort of curated that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it showed us something. I mean, we're monkeys, right, we're simeons, right. The Internet taught us something about ourselves that I don't think we actually knew. I think fictionalists and novelists knew it, but we're learning. Like we're bullies, right, you know when you're liking that snarky Internet, right, and you're feeling good because somebody got their face punched in on Twitter. You know now that Elon Musk has taken over Twitter, right, he keeps moving me to the for you tab, And the for you tab is people getting punched in the face for being bad guys. Right. You know, they fucked around and they found out, and there's this little part in me it's like, yeah, yeah, punch him in the face, in him again, right, And I'm not the only one, right, I'm a professor, right, So I think the Internet exactly as you said, Jonathan, is teaching us something about ourselves, which some of us new. But this thing we're learning about human beings is not good, right, And this is where lawmakers have to step in. This is where religious leaders have to step in, right, Oli analy people need to think this through. This stuff is potent, absolutely potent.
Speaker 3: What role does the audience play in determining the boundaries of humor?
Speaker 4: I received a doctorate. I have two doctorates. I think I should mention that humbly. I too, I received a doctorate in sociology. I didn't use it much. I used the other doctorate a lot in ancient languages and literature. But to the sociologist, the comedian isn't interesting, That's right. What's interesting is the audience. Right to the sociologist, the profit isn't interesting. To quote Max Faber, it's those that recognize the prophet is a bearer of charisma or great wisdom. So I'm really interested in audiences. And what I wanted to do in the book was think about the power of comedia audiences right to shape the art form and shape the discourse around the art form. So one type of audience I was looking at are negative audiences, right, audiences that hear a joke and they get so upset that they organize and they marshal their resources and they try to punish the comedian. Right Now, the audience in question can be you know, totally decent citizens, It can be vigilantes, it can be a government, it can be a militia, it can be a terrorist cell. Right, So those are audiences. So I was looking at all these negative audiences, and negative audiences have this really bad habit of wanting to sensor, shut down, lockdown certain types of jokes. The complicated question is are there certain types of jokes that just shouldn't be told. I think ninety nine out of one hundred comedians would say insane, that's wrong. Right, Any joke can and should And I used to believe that before the Internet. Prior to the Internet, I was with the comedians. And now I'm like, oh, these jokes can be weaponared, these jokes can have really deleterious effects on human beings. I'm interrogating that. One of the criticisms of the book, which I'm not vibing with, is this guy is like, so convoluted about what he actually feels. I am that's my job. My job is not to come to a conclusion and to prescribe and to suggest a policy. I'm very confused by what we do with jokes that lacerate and hurt large groups of people and might downstream have negative impacts resulting in violence. I don't know what to do with that type of humor. And instead of being you know, we've got to protect it or we've got to shut it down, I want to create a space where people can sort of reflect together as to what the best course of action is.
Speaker 2: Speaking of audiences, I know there was controversy around some classic films like the Life of Brian and The Producers and things like this, and yet those films sort of persisted in that pre digital age as classics and have sort of, you know, grown on people. I think over the years. I don't know if that nuance is still there in terms of how we respond to stuff, because I know, again there weren't controversies, but they didn't win the day in the way that today's cancelors are.
Speaker 4: Cinema is big, though, right, I mean cinema like when you see the credits, if you ever count as I have, right, because I've OCD. If you ever like count how many people, they're often like a thousand people in those credits, right. So cinema is just like collective artistic project, which means there's somebody very wealthy or a studio, right, or backers or capitalism is like back there, right. So I think movies like that. Yes, there was an outcry, but they were big studios. That's just add all paramount CBS, arister records, whatever, right that could push back. With comedians, it's a little bit different because they are fundamentally individuals, especially at the beginning of their career. So Netflix protected Dave Chappelle as well. I think it should have, right though that's complicated. But a young comedian making a really really inappropriate joke doesn't have a studio behind them, right, They don't have lawyers, right, they don't have capital backing them up. So I'm interested in you bringing cinema into this conversation. I just think there's something really really unique about these stand ups, right with their little microphones at Yuck Yuck's in Fort Wayne, Indiana, right, and somebody captures thirty seconds of some of their LGBTQ jokes, right, And the next thing you know, one they've been canceled and national right LGBTQ advocacy groups are complaining about them. Right, I don't know. There's a scene in Curb Your Enthusiasm where somebody's making a Mexican joke, remember that, and Jeff says that joke is not funny? Do you remember that? Right? I thought it was like Larry David was like actually asking the same question, right the curb in thood, like what types of jokes are no longer funny? I find anti Asian jokes really not funny, Like when Joe Rogan is, you know, doing like so called yellow voice. I'm just like I wish you'd stop, like stop doing this, right please? It's like done right Buddy Hackett, Right, he used to do like Chinese restaurant bits in the forties and fifties, like let it Go. So they're like so many jokes that I hear and I just don't want to hear them. Now. Maybe that's because I'm closed minded, I'm a philistine, but I feel I know where these jokes lead collectively, right, They lead to psychic pain for lots of people over aspects of their identity, which one they're proud of and two they couldn't change, and three they wouldn't change even if they could. So do I have an answer, gentlemen, No, I'm thinking about this. I'm thinking really, really hard about what we do with comedians that want to make these jokes. One rule I suggest in the book is flay your own like any juke, and I can make Jewish jokes. I can make Holocaust jokes. My ancestors are blessed memory perished in law, so I can make those jokes. I feel I have a license to make those jokes. I'm not going to make jokes about my black brothers and sisters, right, I'm not gonna make jokes about the slave trade. It's like not my place. I don't want to do it, right. I'd love to hear what comedians. Comedians always are like, Oh, I'm an equal opportunity offender. That's something comedians I insult everyone. I don't know if that's even possible, because there's so many people to insult. Invariably, comedians have like grooves, right, they have go tos. They keep going back to certain types of joke. Sorry, if I spoke to much guys, I get very excited by this subject.
Speaker 2: Where do political cartoons fit in this cartoons?
Speaker 4: I had to read that book by Jit Klausen. It's called The Cartoons That Shook the World. I would recommend it to everyone listening. So good, so good, such good scholarship, so clearly written. I love scholarship like that. And she was making an argument which I'd never thought of. And then I started reading more about cartoons. Victor something or other wrote a book about the history of car Apparently cartoons have an uncanny ability to piss people off. I did not know that, because they're visual after all, right, and you have, like I was reading some studies of African comedy right across the continent of Africa, and when shit gets real, it's usually involving a cartoon, not a stand up.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: So there's a famous incident in South Africa with Jacob Zuma. There are incidents in Kenya in particular. There's something about cartoons. Now, think about Shaley Abdu, Right, there's something about cartoons that drives fundamentalists insane, sends them off the rails. Right. If you think of these little Shali Abdu, they're these little tiny things, right, these done things, but like guys with dicks on their heads and whatnot, right, drives them to utter distraction and violence. So what I learned from the Jit Klausen book is the way stand up is one genre of political comedy. Cartoons are another, and they might even be more volatile. Here's another one which we don't think about in the United States, puppetry. I've been looking at African comedy troops that do puppetry, and this stuff is like nitroglycerin, right, It really gets them in trouble. And the puppetry is absolutely like hisstoric. I believe the troop's name is x y Z Right. It's a Kenyan guy who studied in France, and and he does these kind of puppetry send ups of African despots, and they're so funny, right, They're so hysterically funny. They also get the artists into a metric ton of trouble.
Speaker 3: What can we, as secular Jews who are proud of our comedic heritage, draw from your study of comedy in these conflicted times?
Speaker 4: Boy guys, it's such a rough time to be a Jew in the United States. And I say that, you know, and I know it's a real rough time to be a Palestinian and you know, Palestine and Israel, Palestine and a Palestine in the United States. But I've never been at more of an impasse in my thinking about Judaism and what Judaism should be doing right as an American Jew than I am right right now. I think secular humanistic Judaism has like certain core values which are really really important to this conversation. Right one, as I understood secular humanistic Judaism, it always had a tremendous emphasis on untraveled freedom of speech and expressive liberty. It is, in a way, in case in the amber of what I call the pre digital liberal free speech consensus. Right, That's where I came from. I think that's where you guys came from. Right, make the jokes, all right, it's better this way, don't censor anything. But another thing I like about secular Judaism is, like many liberal fiates, liberal Islam, liberal Protestantism, liberal Catholicism, it retains a capacity to say, ah, maybe we should think about that, maybe we were wrong. I do like that about all liberal denominations in the United States, Right. They acknowledge the possibility of error. So what I appreciate about secular forms of Judaism is the idea that, no, we're not getting this on high from God. We are not in unique possession of God's writ and revelation. We're human beings, like the rabbis of Blessed Memory, kind of struggling together to figure out what the proper course of action is. So I think the best secular value, and I'm not saying this is present in orthodoxy or conservative Judaism do. I don't know if it's present in ultra Orthodoxy, is this process of communal reflection and deliberation where considerations of power are not dominant.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's not because somebody is more powerful that they're right. So I do think secular Judaism is a religion or religious tradition in which interesting conversations, painful conversations can be had under certain conditions. And that's what I think is a great strength of the secular humanistic tradition. It's like, all right, let's talk this through, and let's not talk it through knowing what our conclusions are going to be, nor let us assume that certain talkers are more powerful or more important than others. So there's something very democratizing in secular humanistic Judaism. So, guys, that's a really long answer. That's what I would hope, and that's what I like about the secular tradition. And I feel, you know, we're good talkers, we listen to one another, right, and we're powerless. Right. It's kind of a small cohort of Jews these days, the secular humanistic Jews. And as I think I mentioned earlier, that's where I like to be. That's why I have one thy five hundred Twitter for I just think too much power for any human being is not good. Too much power for any religion is not good. And this particular denomination of American Judaism, secular human fulfills all those criteria right of not being particularly powerful or populous. So maybe some of the best conversations can happen there.
Speaker 2: Applying that to com you would say the best approach to comedic controversies is to talk it out and figure out some limits or some liberties and that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's problematic right from the second you get the Internet and you get you know, massive entertainment conglomerates involved, and now you have the FCC involved. It's really hard for intellectuals, and that's what we are. For intellectuals and artists. We've got to talk talk, talk it out amongst ourselves, right, what nation states, what conglomerates? Right, what streamers do? That's up to them, and that's often dictated by anything but the conclusions that we would reach in a group. But I do think it's important for intelligent people with expertise and knowledge to sit around and to talk to one another. I'd love to have comedians not be filmed, right and get in a room and like respond to some of the things we've said today, like, hey, guys, maybe maybe there's certain jokes. I'd love to hear a comedian, knowing they're not being recorded, talk to me about his or her or their experiences on the road with a particular joke that they understood really pissed people off. So they they said, you know what, I'm not gonna tell this joke. It's a great joke. I'm not going to tell it because the human toll is too much. I'm sure comedians. I've spoken to comedians who have stories like that about jokes they just don't want to tell anymore, even though they think they're very funny.
Speaker 2: Or they may tell a joke to one audience and not to another.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a little bit a sort of fishy moral code, right, like I'm but yeah, it just reminds me like how powerful humor is as like a human as like a tool of human interaction. You know, Freud was onto something. To go back to Freud, right, I mean, I don't think his analysis was correct, but at a time when not many people were looking at comedy, comedy has never taken seriously, Like why did Eddie Murphy get the oscar for Norbert? I'm not kidding, right, Like he should have won. That is an amazing performance, right, but because it was comedy, and because he had about two hundred and seventy five pounds of like makeup and flab and fat jackets on. Right, But if you look at the acting in that, I imagine some actors are just rolling their eyes right now. But damn it, I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna die on this hill. He should have won some major major award for playing all those roles. Why didn't he Because we don't take comedy seriously. Back to Freud, I think Freud understood take it very very seriously. Of course he had to go through the unconscious right to justify all of that. But I've been taking comedy like dead serious. And when I go to comedy clubs, I get called out by the comedians. It's like they're you asshole. There was like, look like Mike, because my posture is wrong, right, I'm not drunk. I'm like, I'm like sitting there like taking them so seriously. And they noticed this like big lanky, dorky white dude, who's unlike all the other objects in the room. Right, I'm like, I'm not whooping, and I'm not. I'm just looking at them like this. And it's uncanny how they picked me out. Right, I can't even hid from these guys. Right. One guy called me like a smug motherfucker like twelve seconds into the show. Right, It's like, Wow, these guys are really good because comedians understand their audiences. That's all I like about them. They really like develop this like a symbiotic relationship with laughter. A comedian told me that he could distinguish the laughter like he had like categories like, oh, when I hear people laughing like this, I know surge forward. But when I hear this type of laughter. It's like backoff, back off, back off, right, slow it down. They're so good. I love art forms where people work with audiences like that. God blessed performing artists, God bless musicians, A right poets, right at a theater, actors, people that deal with live audiences love that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Jock for joining us.
Speaker 4: This is so fun. We should do this again, guys.
Speaker 2: And to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click light can subscribe.
Speaker 4: Mhmm