Speaker 1: Good job of exemplifying that two wednesdays ago. That's for sure, all right, I am coming through good. Yeah, super hot over here. But other than that, no, nothing you did. It's all on It's all on me.
Speaker 2: It's you.
Speaker 1: It's all I was going to do, Damien, I was going to do the omen, Damien, It's all for you. But and then she hangs herself. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the seventies seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And they remade it with Leev Schreiber and actually wasn't terrible. It's almost like the exact same movie, but shot for shot pretty much there. There's a couple of things they added in there, and it's like a kid. I was like, oh, this is basically the same, but like, no, no, it isn't right. All right, all right, cold open, cold open, cold open? Got it? All right? You ready?
Speaker 2: Fire away?
Speaker 1: All right. I'm back to be in the cenic bulky, and I'm glad about it because I was nervous that I was becoming the guy that was gonna love all of these movies but how to make a killing. Not gonna say I hated it. But we've returned, We've dabbled back in the mediocre again, which is kind of. It's a it's a refreshing feeling for me that I still can feel this way about something I.
Speaker 2: Don't understand, Like like, did you think, like we're gonna have three bangers in a row?
Speaker 1: I was nervous. Yeah, I didn't know. I didn't know what to expect with this one, honestly, because it could have been. It reminded me of Roses in that it takes a pretty macab story but does it through like an almost comical lens, Like you don't ever feel sad when people.
Speaker 2: Had a mac There's people dying in Roses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I got to see this movie. Yeah you do? Yeah, yeah, Okay, so so it's all awful people, Like, there's very few people in this movie that you're like, oh, outside of the love interest, the second love interest, outside of that person, there really isn't anybody you're rooting for.
Speaker 2: No. I I feel like you you were rooting for Glenn Powell's character, at least initially, and then he makes some choices. This is obviously how to make a killing. Ben already said that Glenn Powell ed Harris, Margaret Qualley, Jessica Henwick. Who else am I forgetting? That was in this movie feel like there's a oh Zach Woods.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically the gist of this movie is Glenn Powell is heir to a fortune. Now roughly, I don't know what would you say, it's well over.
Speaker 1: Fifty billion, yeah, I think that's around the.
Speaker 2: So. And but in order for him to claim this fortune, he's got to kill off seven relatives that are heirs before him. And why would he do this?
Speaker 1: What? What would provoke him to do this?
Speaker 2: Well, he was born to his mother who was the order of like the guy who controlled the fortune, right, So his grandfather and the daughter had him out of wedlock with some random cellist like just you know, and uh, basically the father said, you can have the kid or you cannot have the kid. But if you have the kid, you're not going to do it under this roof. And they sort of disowned her, and so he was not He grew up, you know, not poor, but not not as rich as as he should.
Speaker 1: It was relatively poor. She worked at a d M V. She I mean, but but I guess things go south pretty quickly. Yeah, pretty poor.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. But here's the thing, like, you know, he made there there was a scene in there where she she she basically made a point to try to live as close to the life he should have been living as as much. So a lot of the money that she got, I mean maybe she lived in poverty, but he like had nice clothes, he looked nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had an apartment.
Speaker 2: You know, I think, well, I'm just I'm just saying like outwardly, and he was like doing archery stuff, which is what rich people do. Yeah, so he he was still as close as much as she could.
Speaker 1: She gave him a you know, I was sitting there when Ed Helms was talking to her and says, uh Harris, ed Harris, Yeah, that would have been hilarious. Yeah, when Ed Harris is like, you can have the if you have this baby, you're not going to be doing it under this roof. And I'm sitting there and I'm like, you know, if the Titanic didn't sink, this is what would be happening to Jack and Rose right now. I've always found that movie ridiculous. It was like, the second that boat land, you're not marrying this guy. Get the hell out of here. You're eighteen. Don't tell me you're in love with this card Shark you get out of here, go marry Billy. He wasn't even a card shark. He just got lucky in a game of poker. Yeah, sure, sure, sure, well lucky. You guys can't see me now.
Speaker 2: I believe his character was from Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Ben, Yeah, I don't even remember that he was, but I was sitting there and he was refreshing to see, like especially, And I don't want to come up off as sexist here, but I'm going to when it's rich woman and poor handsome dude. That never happens rich dude and super attractive poor woman. Maybe the inverse.
Speaker 2: No that you just mentioned Titanic, so it's happening.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm doing. But it wouldn't Like I always found that movie to be ridiculous. I'm like, if the Titanic didn't sink, this relationships is immediately over.
Speaker 2: There's got to be some other examples out there. I bet you there is. If I went, if we went, we asked, Gemini went on chat, I'm sure it could find some examples. Now, they might not be great examples, but you're right. I mean, rich Man, it's just the way the world works. It's like pretty woman versus Titanic, right yeah, you know, yes exactly, And there's a lot more pretty woman examples than there is Titanic.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, And that's part of that's part of the systems. I understand that. But when I see it, I'm like, well, that's a bunch of bull crap. This kind of dabbled and they're like, no, this is probably the way that would play out if you're born to that kind of family, right, you know, I went to school with rich kids, not fifty billion dollars rich. Like there was a who was a friend of mine who his dad owned a company on a street that had the same last name as the dude I went to school with, so like he was working at his company, so the companies, it was like if his last name were Smith, he was on Smith Street. Oh wow, yeah wow, only it's not that common of a name like this very much was their street. And we were good friends in college, and the second we graduated, that person disappeared. And that's more the way.
Speaker 2: He disappears, just another family business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the yachts and and that life. And I'm here with you now, you know, that's that's just whish got it better than best that's what I'm saying. But so I always see that in movies. I'm like, well, that probably wouldn't play out that way, and sure enough, this this that's kind of the impetus of this, the jealousy of like, I need to get back to that. I want that, I'm owed this, and I want okach like I'm here for that.
Speaker 2: All right, So so that this is a good point, and there's a lot unpack with this. I want to get to that point number one. But before you get that quick precursor, the Ed Harris scene early on, did you know that was Ed Harrison?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but only because I saw the casting. I wouldn't have Okay, probably.
Speaker 2: I mean I looked at the casting a few days before I saw it, and I forgot he was in it, and I didn't I didn't even realize it was him until I was looking at my phone at the cast during it. I'm like, oh, I haven't seen Ed Harris yet. Oh wait, I bet that was him. And then there's you know, so anyway, not the point. All right, let's get into this. Beckett red Fellow Fellow is Glenn Powell's character Beckett red Fellow never knew wealth he grew up in poverty, yea, and yet he was promised this fortune by his mother. You know she what was the overarching theme? She wanted him to lead the right life?
Speaker 1: Wasn't it something like that should have lived for something to that effect. They only said it like eighteen thousand times. We should we should know.
Speaker 2: But that's basically what she said to him in one of their conversations. Not gonna spoil anything here, and and that's all I always sort of been into the back of his head. Now you bring up the jealousy aspect, and I guess that could be true. But if you've never been wealthy, do you really know what it's like?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Do you really know what you're missing? In other words, think of the Walking Dead that universe when second generation was being born into the zombie apocalypse. They don't know computers and television like they never experienced it before. So can you really be motivated by something that you've never experienced, that you've never known to you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Oh that's real. If you gave me three billion dollars, I'm telling you right now, I'd still be eating little Caesars and drinking frenzy of wine. You know what I mean, Like, I wouldn't be bying fancy. I'm not a fancy man because I wasn't raised on fancy things. Like I like the cheap stuff Hamburger helper. To me, it's not a matter of of it's all I can have. It's a matter of no, this is, this is good, this is I don't need more than that.
Speaker 2: And I think, and I don't know, maybe you can remind me what the catalyst was. But he had a decent job, uh, live by himself and didn't look like squalor didn't look like he was very rich.
Speaker 1: It looks sad.
Speaker 2: It looks sad, but I mean I think it looks sad because it was it was just him. He didn't have a wife and you have kids whatever. And like how old is he supposed to be in this movie? Probably around like he was born in ninety three. I think if we look at that family tree, oh.
Speaker 1: I don't even realize. I know, because I've looked it up in real life, he's thirty eighty eight. Yeah, I don't know what it is thirty three in the movie.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I guess at that point, a lot of people, I should say, a lot of people, but a decent amount of people have a wife.
Speaker 1: Have kids.
Speaker 2: You could say that. You could say that, yeah, thirty three. Yeah, I don't know. Sometimes it's it's different. Well I guess you're fright herself, but it's different for everyone. So okay, So well, okay, I mean you live alone? Yeah right, I mean is it sad for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's the framing of it. It's when they had him. There was a scene when he was in the dark on a couch in his duplex, and I was like, ah, now, if life weren't go like I look forward to coming here, I look forward to doing this with you every week. I look forward to doing my show every day. If I were selling suits and had the life I lived, I'd be like, well, I feel like the movie probably would have hit in a different way for sure. And he's just like Wayward, He's like, I should have more, it should be fancier. And of course you said you don't remember the impetus to dollus. It was that jerk Margaret quality seeing her kind of like reminded, don't reveal that. Well, no, you said, I thought you. I didn't realize you were being coy, But like that's kind of what kicks his ass and gear like he sees her and so that's what it is. Yeah, and she's just like she was money.
Speaker 2: This is okay, so we don't need to get into yeah, okay, but but okay, So that was the catalyst where when he sees how she's living, she married somebody rich.
Speaker 1: She makes some offhand like when you get that fortune, reach out to me again, or's something to that effect. You know, I'm pretty sure that's in the trailer. She's just like, well, let me know when you inherit that fortune, and that kind of lights the fire under him and he goes from there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we have to talk about the first murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is in the trailer. So I'm not even always about, not even worried about talking about.
Speaker 2: Well okay, but the way it's framed, it's kind of like he wasn't sure if he was going to do it or not. Yeah, he was right there and then all of a sudden something happens and it happens. Yeah, And was it just that little impetus that put him over the edge of like, hey, I can do this, I can get away with it.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know this from firsthand experienced bulky. But I've heard your first one is the hardest one, and once you do it once, like movies, yeah, becomes easier and easier. Yeah, it's like a thousand movies that have said that before, and so based on that and only that, it seems like once you've done it once, it's like, well, I've done it once, I can probably do it seven more times. I will only have to do it six more times. Oh yeah, good point. Oh.
Speaker 2: Bill camp is in this movie, by the way, great actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, he does a great job in this for sure. But to me, it was strange. I'm interested, and I don't want to take this in too many different angles here. If you have more to say about that murder, let's go there. But I do want to say like, this movie was framed in a very strange way.
Speaker 2: Okay, let go ahead. I want to get to the framing. Let's talk about the murders right away. These characters are meant, at least I think, are meant to be very unredeeming, very unlikable characters. Okay, and yet the decision that Beckett makes is to actually befriend them.
Speaker 1: Okay, you took it exactly where I wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's befriending him, he's getting involved in their lives. He's even telling them, hey, I'm your cousin. Yeah, a very bizarre choice because the closer you get to somebody and the more you human you know that that's the whole say say their names thing. When these people die, you know, it's always like say their name, say their name, because if you don't say their name, if you don't humanize it, then it's easier to handle, which is what you would want if you're trying to murder these people. But he went the opposite angle.
Speaker 1: You know, to me, tell me if this is off base. This felt like a much less intelligent American psycho. Is that the one with Christian Bale? Yeah, it's uh because they emphasize that killing people is bad. But there's almost like a satirical element to this entire movie, where like he does befriend people, he goes to dinner with people, he gets to know people, he goes to parties with people, and then he goes and kills him and he's like, oh, well that I can't believe I got away with this. And it's a very similar vibe to American psycho.
Speaker 2: The major difference is of what Christian Baleist motivation is for killing and then what.
Speaker 1: What was the motivation killing?
Speaker 2: Just killing?
Speaker 1: Okay, killing for killing sake, but it was element of progression. It was activity, thrill crill thrill kill is what they are.
Speaker 2: It was thrill killing for him if if do you think that Beckett Redfellow, Yeah, do you think he'd just be thrill killing? He doesn't strike me as the person who would be doing that. He was doing it.
Speaker 1: It was very purposeful what he was doing, but not the plot. I guess it was almost like, I don't know how to this. It's like every character was almost like a facsimile of a person instead of a real person. There was no character development, There was no character growth. I was never confused about who people were and why they sucked and why things were happening, you know what I mean, Which is the same way to me. It just felt like it was a vapid Is that the word I'm trying. I don't know what word I'm trying to use to describe how all the characters felt in this, but like it almost felt like people would die and it was almost weightless, like it didn't.
Speaker 2: Matter because it was it was not a facade.
Speaker 1: It was a satire.
Speaker 2: They weren't Now, it wasn't satire. It just wasn't real. These these people were were barely even caricatures of themselves. They weren't they they were Well maybe that maybe that's what it was. They were caricatures. There's no like you said, there's no development behind.
Speaker 1: There's the rich artist, there's the guy who didn't have.
Speaker 2: The who was you know, kind of a douche, right, there was the first guy, the rich young frack guy, mega douche. Yeah, and then you had the pastor douche right yeah, with to for grace. It was like sort of like this tvangelist. Yeah, and and I thought that that had to be a fun character to play. Oh yeah, he's only basically in like one scene.
Speaker 1: A lot of these guys only knock it out for about ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So anyway, I thought that was interesting. Now let's get into the actual motivation for this. If you were in this situation where you had seven people in front of you for this inheritance, seven people you've never met. This only story you've been told about these people in this family was that they disowned your mother. Your mother. Yeah, and now it seemed like he was okay. It seemed like he was okay living this out. They show him like checking oh bits to see what's going on with the family. But honestly, some of these guys are younger than him. There's you know, for all intentsive purposes, he's never gonna see this portune. Yeah, you know, and living the life that he did. I think maybe I'm just a coward. Not that you need to be, you know, it's courageous to murder, but I would have been like, yeah, it's a lot. I've been cast I'm good with that. To me, Like the Margaret quality thing, Yeah, would not have been enough to put me over the edge.
Speaker 1: No, and I'd even take it a step further. It's almost like I don't have a survival instinct. I think about this all the time. But like if I were in Hunger Games, I don't know if I could kill other people.
Speaker 2: Let alone in Hunger Games.
Speaker 1: That's what I understand, man, I understand the premise to the movie. I'd be sitting there be like, guys, let's see if we can just get outside of this freaking blue sphere thing and figure this all out in another way, like I don't have that gene. I watch all the Saw movies and I'm sitting there and there are two people fighting in some kind of one of them isn't going to get out of it. I'd be like, ah, dang it, I just don't have that gene, okay, And it's not who I am. I'm fortunate to be born at a time of civilized society because I feel like I'm supposed to be. Evolution was supposed to knock people like me out of the process, because like, there's a cold day in hell, and I disdain wealthy people, and I couldn't for a second do something like that to somebody. And it's not me pedestal, and it's just the real person.
Speaker 2: I am a bit of background on this film. I believe it was based on a book you can tell, I could tell. And then I think, and I don't quote me on this, I think it was made in Japan or Oh. I believe that some foreign market made a version of this. And then I also read that this script sat two years ago on the what's called the Blacklist?
Speaker 1: Have you ever heard of the Blacklist? Ben? I can I can speculate but I don't think i've.
Speaker 2: Heard it well basically what I've never heard of it before. Yeah, But but basically what it is is it's a list of scripts that sit dormant in Hollywood, and the blacklist is sort of like the krem de la creme of all those like all the best scripts that have not been utilized yet.
Speaker 1: Right has put some star power behind it.
Speaker 2: And See came out. He was an executive producer on this film as well, So like this, this is a big.
Speaker 1: Get some box office numbers.
Speaker 2: While you're talking now speaking of Glenn Powell, Okay, do you believe? And I read one I read a review of this film after I saw it, and I think the reviewer hit it on the head. Do you think Glenn Powell was miscasting?
Speaker 1: I do? I do. I I don't think this is the type of person that he is. And more importantly, like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's not the type of I don't know what type of.
Speaker 1: Person character he plays. I should say.
Speaker 2: Exactly, like, now, maybe he doesn't want to get because his career is kind of launching right now. Sure, maybe he doesn't want to get type cast and he wants to play these these different you know, but even watching this, I just I'm rooting for him. I'm not rooting for him. I'm rooting for him. He's a hero. He's an anti hero. Yeah, he's not even an anti hero. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know who the younger version of this would be that would work. But this role is for Edward Norton, Like you have to be kind of smug. Yeah, and Glenn Powell doesn't have a Do you think Edward more Well, I don't know, like I think it. Norton sucks like cats, he's a phenomenal actor. I think he's a he's a jag.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I'd like, Like, that's my lens through which I look at life. I'm like, would I get along with that person in high school? Me and Edward Norton heads?
Speaker 2: Okay, well what about Edward Hulker Edward.
Speaker 1: Norton, he seems miserable. Why do you think they didn't invite him back to do any of the other marvels.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happened because he sucks. I don't think he sucks.
Speaker 1: Oh he was great, he was great at it. Yeah, but he'd like show up. He'd be like, hey, I have a picture, go up to Kevin Foggy being like, I think this should be happy with my character. It's like, bro, I have a twenty year player, all right, I don't care what So that's so he.
Speaker 2: Just became that like difficult to work with.
Speaker 1: Like in Wonder Man when he gets taken off of American Horse. Oh yeah, that's what I envisioned Edward Norton being like.
Speaker 2: And there's just like I could just feel like, you.
Speaker 1: Know, if you were if he you were his waiter at a restaurant, you got his order wrong, like keep being an ass, like I bet where's Glenn pal would be like a mistakes happened, but don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: That's how the problem was. I think. I think the whole idea was to actually identify with this character and root for this maybe maybe and Edward, I think about what he did Rounders, Uh the jat was it not the Jackal? What was the the heist or what rage? No?
Speaker 1: Primal fear fear?
Speaker 2: Yes, obviously that's another good one. Rich the Italian Italian job. No, there's one year he did with de Niro or it's like called the heist. It was Marlon Brando Angela Bassett, Edward Norton, Robert de Niro, and basically they these these this one old you know, criminal that's trying to retire. De Niro he gets this one last job and he's got to work with Edward Norton on it. And Edward Norton, I mean, like he's the total smarmy, a whole type that you gotta Okay, don't do it now, but if you've never seen.
Speaker 1: That, I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: You'll love it. I mean, it's a it's a heist movie. It's De Niro's great, Marlon Brando's solid, and Edward Norton.
Speaker 1: And for the record, I love Edward Norton for his craft. I just think he's a bit of a prick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, but you don't know in real life being a super nice guy. But I just don't think. Okay, I'll give you an another example. You know this television show Jury Duty. No, Okay, So so there is this I'll go I'll go all the way back to the start. In the nineties. There's this movie called The Joe Schmoe.
Speaker 1: Show that I remember.
Speaker 2: Jerry Duty was a spin off of that. Basically a Joe Schmoe Show but it was called Jerry Duty, got it. So James Marsden played this total a hole juror in this, you know, and and he's playing himself. He was playing himself on this jury, right. And then I was watching an interview with the guy who was sort of the schmo in this who didn't know it was all fake. And he was saying afterwards because then you know, people are trying to interview him. He's being recognized, and and he texted James Marsden just like, hey, how do I sort of handle this? And I think Marsden has that look of being just an a hole? Yeah, realize, And he said Marsden could not be more nice. He didn't text me back. He called me back right away. Forty minute phone call. We're doing. And like if there were several of them like it, So it seems like Marsden although he looks like the type of guy that you're like, oh he's he's the type of person in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: I never thought that about James Marsden though, that never crossed my mind.
Speaker 2: He look, he doesn't give you that look. Peter Fastinelle, you know, Peter Fastenelli is from uh He's married to Jenny Garth he was. He was in the Twilight movies. He was the you remember can't hardly wait? Yeah, from he was like the the a hole Jocko. That's another guy who looks like But I mean, I don't know. I don't know these guys in real life, you know, a flip side. Maybe Tom Hanks is an a hole. Yeah, I don't know. Absolutely, I don't he is, but he might be.
Speaker 1: I could do an entire episode about this is Tom Cruise because Tom Cruise can act like such a normal guy, but he's also can be an asked and.
Speaker 2: I don't know where Cruise. I don't blame Tom Cruise for this because I think and like, I'm not a doctor, Yeah, but I think he was born with some sort of chemical imbalance in his head. Yeah, maybe that that hit that that provokes him to do things that normal, regular human beings like you and I would not do. Maybe whether it's romance, relationships, working relationships, social anxiety that I think he might have. Uh, and then uh, the whole stunt thing. I mean, my god, I told you about the ten minute video. H Like I I even I still watch that two or three times a year, and I'm like, how is one How how is this person with everything to losing nothing to gain from this? Why is he putting in the effort and the time into this when he doesn't have to. He could be doing other things, more enjoyable things, quite frankly, maybe more rewarding things. But to him, this is rewarding. To him, he feels like here's a chemical imbalance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe he could be. But I say all that to say Glenn Powell doesn't let's bring it. Yeah, he rubs me as a he doesn't rub me the wrong way, like I feel like he's fine, might be a little arrogant, but overall.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this way is super arrogant and top gun Mavericke.
Speaker 1: Sure, obviously he's bombing, by the way in this it's just absolutely bombing. I looked it up with financially okay to stake your reputation to it's six point two million in two weekends versus a fifteen million dollar budget, which I did find myself asking the questions similar to Caught Stealing, which is one of our first episodes of this show, because the cast it was just a lister after a list after a lister, and you and I even mentioned who does this director know that he can get all these people to commit to such a generic plot and movie, And I felt a similar feeling watching this until I just learned that Glenn Powell was an executive producer and maybe like some people were just like, oh, yeah, I'll throw you a bone. Let's see if we can get this guy. I mean, you only need me for two days to film because my role is so tiny in this movie, because it reminded me like a nineties Jim Carrey movie. Like if Jim Carrey was in a movie in the nineties, every scene had Jim Carrey in it. Yeah, like it was a vehicle for Jim Carrey and everybody else was just window dressing. That's how I felt watching this. It was who is Glenn Powell going to interact with in this scene? And that was kind of how it was wired. This was his and it's a ballsy move because when it bombs like this, other studios take notice, you know what I mean, if this happens two or three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he did the Sydney Sweeney movie that I guess was a bomb any like anyone, but you I think it was called it was like this romantic comedy where these two people hate each other and they're there for like their their their friends. Oh yeah, I never saw it either, but I remember like it got really bad reviews on that too, and Sidney Sweeney too. I mean, like you'd think, like Glenn Powell and Sidney Sweeny, how could this go wrong?
Speaker 1: It? Did you know?
Speaker 2: This is?
Speaker 1: This is actually uh kind of a claim to fame of mine. But I don't know that I've seen Sidney Sweeney in anything.
Speaker 2: She was in this movie called And You Have, by the way, I can't remember what it was called, but her and her boyfriend end up being I might be called the Voyeurs or something. But her and her boyfriend live in this high rise and they see this other high rise across the street, and these two people like boyfriend girlfriend are having sex with people, but then they're also killing people at the Oh. So she was she was she was in Once upon a Time in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, she was in that. She was in Madam Web Madam Webb. She was another bomb by the way, Yeah right, yeah, no, and like she what's thew is she and Euphorias are claiming she is she in Handmaid's Tailor. No, no, don't, okay, I never have seen either of those.
Speaker 2: Well, she's in what's it? There's one? There's like there's something called the The Maid, the Housemaid.
Speaker 1: I think, as well, yeah that when that's free, I'll check that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I guess it's based on a series of books.
Speaker 1: Okay, I had no idea, but it seems strange and that's good enough for me. Like, and what's her name, Amanda Sigfried or whatever her name is? Yes, look like I was like, is that Sydney Sweeney playing two different characters?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah, Yeah, that's another woman who I thought her career is kind of taking off and now it's kind of stagnated a little. Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 1: I had some thoughts on that, but it's not for it's not for off topic. I can tell you that, right.
Speaker 2: That's fine. So Glenn Powell, we can agree with miscast. But now I mean, I bring up the executive producer. It makes sense I think wanted to take Yeah, which makes sense, okay.
Speaker 1: And good for him for betting the money he's made on it, Like, and you're not he's taking quite the l but I'm sure he wasn't the only one putting money up, so you know, lose a couple million. That's honestly my dream in life. Kevin Smith made Clerks, made eighteen million dollars on Clerks. Every movie other than Jay and Silent Bob strike Back since then has lost money. He's making movies that he wants to make with his friends. Well he's getting funding for it. I mean, it's not like it's his dime. It sometimes it is. Sometimes it's part doing freaking Tusk with Justin Long or your Tusk and then I wasn't a Red State that he did. That was another big that he was in there. Yeah, yeah, and he gets these people to come on like I would love to be doing that rather than a bunch of you know, be beholden to block like what Glenn Powell the path that he could be on. You know, Cass is an a list actor doing you know schlock that you and I will I'm sure love, yeah, but not necessarily if you're in an artiste wouldn't necessarily want to be doing so good for him, But this one it didn't feel like the right fit for him. But you got to take risks, you do.
Speaker 2: I mean, Jim Carrey number twenty three, Right right, you got Truman Show, Will Ferrell, Stranger than Fiction. Yeah, it was another one. Everything must go.
Speaker 1: I didn't hate Stranger Than Fiction, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't think most people hate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought I thought it was forgettable, but I was like, yeah, fine. It never really bordered on cult classic, but I think most people watched it thought it was fine. Margaret Qually is a character that I think when I look back on the stuff that she's done that I've known that she's done. I mean, I know she's done other stuff, I think she might be getting type cast a little bit. Yeah, and now she is the real life daughter of Andy mcdell. You remember Andy mcdell from Groundhog Days on and so forth. The eyebrows, I think give off a like the bit I think the menacing, the bigger your eyebrows are, the more like you're meant to be, like the villain Peter Gallagher on the OC right, and I believe wasn't he Wasn't he also the guy that was banging a Net Benning in American Beauty, Like yeah, like she was committing adulter at this guy. Like he's portrayed as this like overbearing in both those not overbearing, but he's portrayed as this not likable person. And I guess towards the end of the OC, and I didn't watch a whole lot of the OC, but I guess towards.
Speaker 1: The end he became more of a redeeming character. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's not the point.
Speaker 1: But to your point, I do want to say nothing about what actually happens in the movie. I'm saying me Ben, watching the trailer. To your point about Margaret Qualley, I'm just watching the trailer. Yeah, when you pitch the movie and I'm sitting there watching, like, yeah, okay, I can get behind this. And I'm sitting there and I'm like, it's going to turn out that she sets him up for failure, Like that was just based on her look in the trailer. I was sitting there and I was like, Oh, she's going to turn out to be the bad guy. I'm not saying that's what happens. I'm saying watching the trailer, the look that she gave me. Immediately in the back of my mind, I'm like, the big twist is going to be she was behind everything, right, and like that's just how she looks. I don't know what it is, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Trim up those eyebrows and you might get a heroine role, you know. And what now I think about the other stuff that I know that she's done. She was kind, She was she also actually, now I think about it, she was in Once upon a Time in Hollywood too, because she was the one who was like the underage girl that Brad Pitt picked up hitch hiking and she brought so she kind of like opened Brad Pitt up to all this, you know what could have been pain getting the whole ranch against him, you know, and she was kind of like, you don't know how to feel about this character? Is she, you know, trying to trap this guy and and claim rape or what? You know what I mean? And then the substance did you ever see this?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, have I ever seen the substance?
Speaker 2: She was as well?
Speaker 1: And I think she had almost five full lines in that.
Speaker 2: Oh so she wasn't in it that?
Speaker 1: Oh no, she was, but they did. Have you not seen it?
Speaker 2: No? I have not.
Speaker 1: I think it's it's a metaphor, but basically all the lines are when basically her and to me more to me, Moore are the same person. She's the younger version that comes out of her. And when Margaret Quality's on stage, it's boobs and butts and dancing and partying and drugs, and then the character growth and the intellect and the dialogue is all when it's to me more, Margaret Quality really doesn't say much in the movie's.
Speaker 2: She's not portrayed in a likable Oh no, exactly, no. Now the only now, the only one I can think of. And Ben, I don't know if you've seen this movie, but it is. And I could say I wasn't gonna say this, but now that I think about it, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. Hu is the Nice Guys with Russell Crow and Ryan Gosling underrated by her for absolutely can I mean, I have to what's her name from Spider Man's in it too, and Gory Rice. She is phenomenal and she's like fourteen or whatever. In it you have all these weird characters. Keith David's in it is well gozz like but by the way, shout out to Goz like this is gonna be a great SNL. It's Gosling Week on SNL and he, I mean, just the stuff that he puts out. He is such he's so good looking, and people just think he can't do comedy. He is a comedic genius. Is he's so good at comedy. I watched SNL this past week Connor Story hosted. You know Connor Story is.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: There is an HBO Max show that's still in season one or maybe season one just got done called Heated Rivalry about these.
Speaker 1: Two familiar with that?
Speaker 2: Okay, so he's one of the stars and yeah, so I'm just kind of like, you know, when he's hosting, like I have low expected he was great, and you know, like the comedy now you.
Speaker 1: Have the elevated expectations with Gossling though, so.
Speaker 2: You got it well, but listen, like he has hosted several times. In fact, he might be joining the five Timers club this week. I don't know, but there, you know, once you have this great episode, it's tough to live up to it, but you do have. Usually when you come back, you'll have one or two sketches that are like, oh, that was dynamite. Yeah, you know, like you'll you know, and I don't know what his you know, like his first time hosting or whatever, but they SNL makes a big deal out of it when Goslin.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, well one of the most I don't even watch SNL regularly, and I know the one or the him when the alien subduct.
Speaker 2: Was okay, but that's not a Gosling vehicle. That is a Kate mckinnac vehicle, and that's a recurring thing. But he was great in that they did this this other Italian food a thing that that they did it once with Adam Driver, who's also another underrated host, but when Gosling did it. Basically it's like a taste test and you think you're having this great Italian food and then they reveal, oh, it's actually Pizza Hut's new Pasta Pikes, and then Gosling and Cecily Strong go off on the guy like how could you do this to us? You know, Farley did it back in the day with like, oh, you're not drinking coffee, you're drinking senca or whatever, and then he loses. So that's another great one. They did another one where him and Vanessa Bayer are believe Santa is real. They're an adult Hollywood holiday party and they think I could go off on this because there's so much good stuff with with Gosling on that.
Speaker 1: So what did the other guys have to do with this movie?
Speaker 2: Okay, Margaret Qualley is and the other guys as well. Now she plays this kind of like Damsel in Distress type character, but then you find out like she was kind of like shooting porn and and she was like this very granola liberal anti and she she was on the portrayed as on the good guy's side, but she kind of like you don't really like you know she she doesn't. She makes some choices in that where in that movie her character does that, You're like, why would she do this? She's screwing everything up. So even then where she's this damn Damsel and just just stress character, you kind of like don't like her. You have at least party you doesn't like her. And it goes back to the eyebrows. I just think like you can't have big, thick, luscious eyebrows like that and expect to be treated as like, ah, man, she like I love this character. Good actor. Yeah, same thing with Edward Norton.
Speaker 1: Right, but you gotta look and again redeeming character, and you can't cast that kind of person in a movie that you're intending to be twisty, or if you are, then you gotta subvert, you know what I mean. Like, yeah, she was pretty off putting most of the movie. Like anytime she came up, you're like, oh, what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Well, even like when they were the flashback when they were young, right, But then but then you know, she's like, oh she she says something to the effect of like, oh, you live in a poor neighborhood or something like that, and then and then he doesn't answer, and she's like, you know, I don't care. Yeah, and then you're kind of like, okay, well, what's you know.
Speaker 1: It's a little tragic that that back and forth. It's probably the most complex thing in the entire movie.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many attractive girls when he was that age growing up, how many attractive girls because he probably had that stigma Oh sure, because I assume he went to a good school because that's what his mom was working so hard for. How many girls like treated him the way that she did, where she's like yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Don't care, Yeah, you know, that's fair.
Speaker 2: And then you're kind of thinking the whole movie, you know, because then she comes back into his life, and then there's a twist with her, and then there's like another massive twist in the story which I didn't see coming. Did you see the twist coming with her husband?
Speaker 1: No? No, Yeah, I didn't see that coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And quite frankly, I probably should have picked up on more of what she was going to be in this movie, and I didn't. Yeah, until like the end, I can kind of see what's going on the other thing too. Have you ever felt like his character you start off innocent enough. This is Glenn Powell's character. Start off innocent enough, but then you make one decision, and then you make another decision, and then you make another decision, and all of a sudden, you're kind of like I think I said this on your show. You're balancing all this stuff like a house of cards. Sure, and and then you know, like, hey, as long as nobody moves, as long as nothing changes, I'm gonna be fine, and this is gonna be great. But if one thing goes wrong.
Speaker 1: You're basically describing the entire five seasons of Breaking Bed slowly totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, but and I bring up Silicon Valley. Who Zach Woods in Silicon Valley, who was in this movie as well, it always was like with those movies, the stakes got higher and higher, and then you'd have the dewys makina I think I'm pronounce coming in at the very end of the show or the end of the episode or the end of an arc, and it's like, Okay, well, I guess that meant nothing. But but what was great about Silicon Valley is that would happen every episode, but then like the very last scene would set you up like, all, something worse is coming now, you know what I mean, Like, which, which I always liked, you know, encouraged serial viewing. Okay, so that.
Speaker 1: Was conversely, this this flick towards the end, it actively encouraged you to not like Powell's character. Yeah, like and he basically says as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I thought he says right at the beginning, like this is a tragedy. Yeah, and it's not the tragedy that you think it is. I think it is right.
Speaker 1: And I thought that was an interesting kind of little twist because you said when you came on my radio show, unlike Send Help, you weren't smiling. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was one of those movies where I'm not sure how I felt. Send Help I found myself smiling at the end of this one. I'm kind of like, it's just it was a very deadpan, serah screen.
Speaker 1: But you saying that because you had seen it at that point and I had not seen it. I went to see it later in the afternoon. You saying that influenced how I was watching the movie, and I'm sitting there halfway through the film and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I said I didn't know how to feel. I mean, that doesn't that.
Speaker 1: Well like this is. I'm just telling you. I'm sitting there halfway through the movie and I'm like, you know, Bulky just might be soft.
Speaker 2: Like right, exactly, yes, dude, right.
Speaker 1: But by the end of the movie, I was like, oh, no, I get the point that he was trying to make, because.
Speaker 2: Which is I wish we did spoilers on the show.
Speaker 1: We could do spoilers.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I mean, I want to keep the art streak alive here. But there a lot to discuss with the ending too, of like how we're meant to feel, what's the theme, what's the message at the end, and and by the way, the way that this ended, I'm spinning in my head because yeah, it's the end of the story, but the story kind of continues, and I'm kind of like, well, clearly I know what's gonna happen here, you know. Oh, I'll tell you off air. I'm pretty sure I know what's gonna happen, Okay, And it's not gonna be good for either one of those characters that were in the final scene, but I'll get into that later. A theme of the show show message of this movie, because I think I portrayed it like it was a have and have not type of thing, but the have not was really supposed to be a half and he was, well, I don't want to reveal too.
Speaker 1: Much, I'm gonna I mean, I'm gonna say this, and I think this is probably what's not sitting well at least with me about the movie. But also, like I typically like the darker stuff. But if you asked me, gun to my head, what's the overarching message of this movie, I would say it's that money buys happiness, at least to a certain extent. I will say they dark knighted in this movie. They did the last two minutes of The Dark Knight, which I've established I hate the last two minutes of the Dark Knight. Yeah, when they explain everything, because the theme of the movie to me was the mother at the beginning of the movie says, I want you to go on to live the life that you expect to live, and about that you should live, that you should live, and thirty minutes into the movie before they just spell it out and hold your hand because we're just a theater full of cretance. But before there, I'm sitting there and I'm like, you know, he's got a good gig, he's seeing an attractive girl. I was like, he really doesn't need to do any of this, Like life is in such a good place right now, Like, just keep doing this. And then eventually he even comes out and says, oh, I really didn't need to do any of this.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, oh, come on, because I think we're all thinking that.
Speaker 1: And so it is that money doesn't buy happiness. But also he had a good finance job, he had a good life, he had good kids happening with it.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, to that point, he had already committed murder. True like he before. If you go back before the murder a spoiler alert, he commits murder. Yeah, before the murder. I mean, I would say he didn't have the greatest job. And you know what, now that I think of it, he did get kind of demoted. Yeah, and that was before the first Yeah, maybe that was part of the catalyst too, probably where he's working hard and he's doing everything right.
Speaker 1: And then you get less pay and then and then.
Speaker 2: You're you're not rewarded for that, you're penalized for it. And why why was he penalized for.
Speaker 1: It because of some rich jerks? Some rich jerks, kid exactly? Yeah, and then who does he go after first?
Speaker 2: A rich Well no, but but we find out that that that guy wasn't a.
Speaker 1: Jerk, did we?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, that was Bill Camp. That was his character because he's the one who gave him the job.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, I was talking about the kid with the anchor. Yeah, that was his kid because they met at the funeral. Oh oh right, right right, yeah, okay, yeah, I meant the kid was a jerk.
Speaker 2: Kid was a jerk?
Speaker 1: Okay, spoil right, Yeah, you're right. The uncle is probably one of the better characters.
Speaker 2: Would I would say he was of all the people that that we get to be introduced that were red fellows besides the mother and uh the uh yeah, besides the mother, the uncle, uncle, whatever his name was, was the only guy that you in fact, you know, you talk about characters you rooted for in this movie, it was Jessica Henwick's character, which is Ruth, and then the uncle. There's nobody else, you know, and and uh and I don't know there. I think I brought this up too. As long as I brought up Breaking bad U my boss for one of my other gigs. His wife stopped watching Breaking Back because she's like, I can't I can't root for any of these characters anymore. Like what's the point. I don't identify with any of them. I can't root for him. There's no positivity. I'm done. And she stopped watching it. And I don't blame her. I mean, it was a great it was a great show.
Speaker 1: Never met her.
Speaker 2: I'm judging her, okay, but it was a great show. But the same time, Ben, you know, you think about what Walter White it was mister Chips to Scarface. Well you rooted for mister Chips. Were you rooting for Scarface?
Speaker 1: Some people?
Speaker 2: Some people probably weren't, but you think about what he had to do And then Guss and then Jesse, who I think obviously had a very redeeming arc that kind of resolved itself in El Camino. But Mike, as much as I love Mike, he was not a good guy.
Speaker 1: No, now I feel that. But see, it's just like politics. You just got to put an evil next to a greater evil, and as soon as you introduced like Todd into it, I'm like, oh no, Walter, well it's not that bad. I can I can pull for this. You know, That's how they kept me coming back, Like oh, Gust's an evil bastard, and like, you know, that's how they kept me coming back, right, But like I that didn't bother me at all. But in this I think it is the the mismatch of styles, like the jovial nature. Again, they went for a roses aesthetic. They went for I'm trying to think of other movies that that stick out. What do you mean jovial style like it's it's even listed is a thriller comedy, like it is done in a lighthearted way, even though what's happening is is not. Whereas Breaking Bad was like, no, we're actually gonna spend four episodes building to this horrible thing. That happens, and you are supposed to think that it is horrible that this happened, whereas you watch someone die here in like a hilarious fashion, and you're like.
Speaker 2: Aha, so so how about this. Maybe this is a good analogy for the for the Red Fellow characters. And we're trying, we're struggling to identify this before BF Wellington. Okay, yeh is a puff pastry stuffed with a like a really good steak, right, character character development? Right, Yeah, you peel back the layers and there's actually this actually juicy big entree right in the inside. The characters in this movie more like cream puffs. You know, you have this pastry shell and inside it's just this superfluous cream. There's nothing there. Yeah, like there. It just wasn't real. It was like they were cardboards, two dimensional stand ups in a world of three dims.
Speaker 1: Which people is how I would describe the characters in American Psycho. But if you do it the right way, you become a classic if you It's kind of like how we said, or at least I said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but okay, But part of the allure of American Psycho was us not understanding killing for killing.
Speaker 1: Sake, sure, but I guess what we.
Speaker 2: Can all identify with, Like why you'd want to kill somebody for a fifty billion.
Speaker 1: Dollars, I guess, But like I guess. The point I'm making is is like when we watched Caught Stealing and I was like, this is like someone saw a Guy Ritchie movie and was like, oh, I can do a Guy Ritchie movie and then no, you can't because you're not Guy Ritchie. To me, this person was like, oh, look what the characters. These characters are all superficial versions of people that you've met in real life. Like everyone knows a Patrick Bateman who's work I've worked in the sales world. I know the guy who you're like, Okay, don't tell anything about your clients to that guy, Like I know that person in the sales world, right, And You're sitting there watching American Psycho and I'm sure this birs like I could do an American Psycho style movie about coming up in America, and then though you can't because like there's an extra sauce that goes into making that kind of stuff that you do not possess, and it was not evident in this movie. And whether that's on Glenn Powell or the director, because Christian Bale is a top tier actor of our generation. So that absolutely lends itself to why that movie has looked at the way it is as well. But there's just to me, I found myself thinking back to that that was.
Speaker 2: Kind of Christian Bale's breakout too. Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was definitely up there, and like I found myself the entire time I was watching it thinking of American Psycho and that I think is a really interesting movie that I hated the first time I saw it. Really I didn't get it. I was too young fourteen.
Speaker 2: Was that based on a novel?
Speaker 1: I think? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Now that who's the guy who wrote the Edward Norton the Club? I always American Psychle.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. Yeah, I don't think so. It wasn't the same director, was it. No.
Speaker 2: Now you want to get some trivia and you might have to fact check me out this. There is a movie that came out rip James Vanderbeek, who just passed away a week or two ago. There is a movie that came out called the Rules of Attraction. Okay, this was like early two thousands, mid two thousands, after Dawson's Creek and Vanderbeek was kind of going on his film career. I believe Vanderbeek's character in that movie his last name was Bateman, and it was sort of like a crossover, like he was Patrick Bateman's real life brother.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. Is Sean Bateman Jean Bateman?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is wild? When I was like, holy cow, And I don't know if there is any relationship from Rules of Attraction to American Ship at all. But that's kind of cool that, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, same universe type of deal. It's hilarious. Yeah, but but yeah, so to me, yeah, just an empty shell of something that like I wasn't offended. I wasn't mad that I saw it. I don't think I would have went to theaters to see this, right, personally.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things where and I was trying to tell Surfry about this at work. Now I'm I'm motoring into the home stretch here, Do you have anything else?
Speaker 1: Now? I'm so.
Speaker 2: Then, so I was telling Sturfry about this fun idea, yeah, or a kind of a quasi original idea. Execution missed, did not stick. The landing which which is unfortunate because you know the you know, the way that you tell a story and a trailer is supposed to capture us and try to you know, get us, and then you actually watch the product and it's like, you know, it's like meeting your hero, right yeah, yeah exactly kind of like yeah, this is not what I what I I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel like comparatively to your attitude towards him, I don't know that I am sold on Glenn Powell as like, oh this is I made the comparison like for me, like if Tom Hardy's in a movie, like even the trailer could suck and be like that movie might be freaking awesome and I'll check it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me just clarify my Glenn Powell. Okay, my boss, the same one and whose wife does not watch Breaking Bad. Yeah he has a man crush. Maybe I just have a man crush on Glen Poe. He has a man crushing described you is that way on my show there he's got a man crush on Daniel Craig. So like the Bond movies, anything, Dan Munich, anything he does like he's he's seeing it And I just think like maybe Glenn Powell is the guy I wish I could be. Rugged good, looks really in shape, gets women like it because I just I feel like when he's on screen, like the Rick James Dave Chappelle, think there's an aura about him, like there's just and and that's why I was kind of disappointed in this because he he was kind of a broken character that I didn't like seeing.
Speaker 1: I like him in Top Gun Mavericks.
Speaker 2: Right, like that's that's like the cocky or cock sure right that that that's another he's the cock sure, like like really talented guy. And and that's a running Man.
Speaker 1: I was gonna says his luck in Running Man. He's got the sick. He needs money.
Speaker 2: But you know what, in Running Man still looked amazing and and like he just he did not He is not the type of character that would be He's not the type of actor that would be a character that would be this poor guy. And you know what, he wasn't Ben because you watch him in that movie. Yeah, he's right up, he's right, he's two steps ahead of the elites.
Speaker 1: He's saving the people in the oil rig flash fire.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, like this is this is a hero. This is not just some You.
Speaker 1: Know what's funny is the manager of the theater that I go to to see the movies. He talks to me every week and I go in there now and we're taught. I tell him what I'm going to see. He goes, it's strange. He goes, it doesn't feel like he fits that movie, and it's funny that that's where we started. He goes, he's just too handsome to do x Y. And I tell this guy, I don't know him from Adam right, like, we only know because I'm there every week, And I say, you know what's funny is I saw him in Running Man a couple of weeks ago, and I remember pulling my phone out during the show because I thought he was so handsome that I googled how old he was and I realized that he was the same age as me, and I was like, oh, so if I put some time in, I could still look at it. Like, okay, I'll take that as an absolute w Yeah.
Speaker 2: Plus I heard Glenn paula a lot of Greek genes.
Speaker 1: Really, no, I will say.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this before that it was reported, and I think Tom Cruise has since denied this. But they're like reported by several outlets that he wanted Glenn Powell to take over Mission Impossible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've told me about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you think about okay, so he's you know, so obviously there's a comparison there between Powell and Cruise. Think of what what Cruise has done. You know, like over the course of his career, he's always been the good looking heuro type guy whatever. Minority Report, Magnolia, maybe not so much.
Speaker 1: Even as recently as Magnolia. He reminds me of Toe for Grace's character in this totally yeah, uh Edge of Tomorrow, even which isn't even that old. Yeah, he was as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about like the best one of my favorite time Cruise roles, and it was like he was he wasn't in the movie a whole lot traffic Thunder as less gross. That was something I was great. Yeah, yeah, no, and but but maybe this is what Glenn Powell is going to be. Stick to the action stuff, right, Expendables three he was in he was great, and Expendables three, Glenn Paul stick to the action stuff, stick to the hero stuff, and and you know, uh, every so often, maybe you could stretch your wings and try to do like a magnolia. Right, but not not yet, man, but not yet. It's just let's give it another half decade.
Speaker 1: See where you're at. Yeah, but you gotta be careful because eventually Marvel or DC is going to sink their claws in you.
Speaker 2: And then if you're worried maybe, I don't know, I like you never you never. Really, there's there's some leading men that that just they they don't want to they don't want to do it, they'll never accept it.
Speaker 1: You want to hear the funniest example of one of them turning it down the Christopher Nolan Batman's Do you know this story already? Do you know who was supposed to be Batman before Christian Bale? Who was probably Ethan Hawk?
Speaker 2: Oh? I did not know.
Speaker 1: He was asked to be Batman before Christian Bale, and he said he was nervous he was going to get type cast. Thank god, he said, no, we're given all the fantastic movies he's done.
Speaker 2: I can't remember who said this. It was an A list actor and he was asked about doing Marvel or superhero movies and he said he'd never do it because when you sign on. To do that, you have to sign a contract multi and and sort of like you think about what the Golden Angel Hollywood was. They were the studios were locking in these actors like for ten movies at a time, five movies that it's like, Okay, you are under contract, you have to do this movie, you have to do this. Well, I don't want to do this movie. You don't have a choice.
Speaker 1: Which if you're Sebastian Stan you're like, yeah, give me a nine movie contract. What the hell else am I doing? Exactly, But if you're a Leo, you're like, no, I'm not signing a three picture.
Speaker 2: Is another is another good example of like yeah, you don't care, but and that's what it's so crazy when you get like, you know, a guy like Michael Douglass on right.
Speaker 1: It's just like really right, But that's when you treat yourself like Daryl Revis and you're like, I'm doing a one one year deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how many movies was he in?
Speaker 1: Though? At least two? Three?
Speaker 2: No, I'd five that I can count, because he was in all the ant Man. Yeah he was in uh, well maybe he wasn't in He's an end game. He was an endgame. Maybe he wasn't an infinite Yeah, so that so four, yeah that we know of. And was he ever in a I don't think he was ever in a TV series at all.
Speaker 1: No, not that I'm aware. Yeah, but yeah, in any event, we'll see what happens with Powell's trajectory. I'm not too keen on this one though. I don't want to be an ass, but I'm gonna be an ass. I'm gonna say like four maybe four point five.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I can't go lower than five because Glenn Powell's and it's sure I'm gonna go five and a half on this one. Still a cool premise, uh, still cool execution. The story was was fun. The story seeing how it played out was interesting. I just feel like there was just I don't know, like it was. It was really difficult for me to see how Powell's character would get from point A to point p you know, from from point A to point Z, and just like the decisions that I just I don't I don't know if a normal person even as one affected you know, I was, you know, childhood and the stuff that happened to him, the stuff that happened to his parents or whatever. I don't know if I would have been able to do that, especially when so much was going well for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. And I'll be real, I have one major gripe with this movie that I can't say because it happens at the end.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about that as soon as we signed off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I'm saying there, I have.
Speaker 2: To tell you what I think it like is going to happen, and.
Speaker 1: I have an issue with it as well. Maybe they kind of tie in, and I hope you notice the same thing I did, because it sucked.
Speaker 2: Probably not next week, No, yes, what's the game play? Okay? So so I brought up Scream seven week. Now. The one that's coming out this week that I think is getting a lot of buzz is The Bride with Christian Bale. Maggie Jillenhall directed and wrote this one. That would be my suggestion. It's a little bit long, it's a little over two hours, but it seems I mean, there's like a Bride of Frankenstein's story. There's got to be some sort of twist on it, you know, like, well.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the trailer? They even say you're the bride of Frankenstein. She goes, no, I'm just the bride exactly. I'm not sure there's going to be.
Speaker 2: Just Bucky, by the way, just got nominated for an Academy Award for Hamnet that that she was so like, there's buzz with her right now as well. That would be my suggestion.
Speaker 1: I leave it up to you. Yeah, no, let's do that one. I've heard nothing but bad things about Scream seven, so I mean perfect, I'm not anti yet, but at the same time, I can wait on it.
Speaker 2: It's it's difficult for me to say, hey, let's watch Scream seven instead of Christian Bale as.
Speaker 1: Can I Can I go as long as this okay, we have a couple of minutes. Can I just say screams what Scream seven should have been. I haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't matter. Are you familiar with Wes Craven's new Nightmare.
Speaker 2: I've heard of it. I'm not familiar, Okay.
Speaker 1: It is the seventh installment of Nightmare on Elm Street, with the sixth one being called Freddy's Dead Like they went out of their way to not only kill him, but kill the demons that kept him coming back, and and the series So when New Nightmare came out, it brought back Heather Langencamp, who played Nancy in the first and third one, but she wasn't playing Nancy. She was playing Heather Langencamp. And Robert England is in it, but he's not playing Freddy Krueger. He's playing Robert England. But Freddy Krueger is in it, and he's played by Robert England, but it is it is not Robert England. It's like, actually, Freddy Krueger, Essentially Freddy Krueger comes out of the movies and is it's hyper meta. They should have brought Nev Campbell and Courtney Cox and and even the dead characters like, uh, what's the.
Speaker 2: Jam Kennedy, Yeah, oh, Dewey was David Arquette.
Speaker 1: Arquette, Yeah, exactly, and bring all those characters back, but have them play themselves and have a Scream person killing them in real life in a hyper meta version of Scream. That is clearly if you were going to bring Nev Campbell back, what the movie should have been. And I'm pissed off they didn't take it that way. And I know I'm not supposed to say. If you don't do a movie the way I want to do it. I shouldn't say it sucks, but that was obviously how you do scream seven everything else.
Speaker 2: Then I will say this screen seven may not be the end, sure, and you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is right and they could take this idea and run with it for eight or nine, yeah, or ten. I'm saying thirty seven eighty two right, never know, but the seven seven parallel because it was night mare Elms ten seven.
Speaker 2: And Wes Craven that's that's his baby.
Speaker 1: It is it is now he's dead obviously, but you can still do That's still the idea. The idea, I guess what I'm saying is check out Wes Craven's new nightmare. We're gonna do the bride next week. Thanks for listening, everybody,