Speaker 1: Hey, it's Wes. I want to tell you about a new season of my other true crime show, The Unforgotten. This season is called kill Site, and it's about a really perplexing case that's haunted me for the last five years. I'm sharing the first episode of kill Site here, but you can listen to future episodes over at The Unforgotten. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 2: I've always heard that when somebody dies of horrible death, the body is stuck there where they're at.
Speaker 3: Do you believe that?
Speaker 1: Uh No, I'd never heard that before.
Speaker 3: You've never heard that.
Speaker 1: Not long ago, I got a call from a woman named Kimberly Sproul.
Speaker 3: Can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Can you hear me now?
Speaker 5: I had bad phones on the sooty.
Speaker 1: Oh that's okay, I hear you fine. I'd never met Kimberly before, and I was surprised she even had my phone number. It turns out she got it from the sheriff's office in Hood County, Texas. They told her I was asking questions about her son, Christopher Whiteley. I'd always want to know what happened to Christopher. I mean, what really happened, because the official story never made any sense. To me now to a death investigation in Texas, whorred authorities are at odds over whether a twenty eight year old man died in an attack. Local sheriffs have to say they found Christopher Whiteley's body in a wooded area of Hood County, about fifty miles southwest of Fort Worth. A highly unusual death has a lot of people understandably worried. Christopher's killing just five years ago made news around the world. It exposed all these conflicts, triggered wild conspiracy theories, and made people afraid to let their kids play outside. For a while, it was the biggest true crime mystery in Texas. But then all the controversy and hysteria just kind of stopped.
Speaker 2: That's very quick.
Speaker 5: They just died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was no more said, no more call, and they just dropped it.
Speaker 3: I just thought everybody didn't care.
Speaker 1: It was just so unresolved, and it's not solved.
Speaker 2: I don't know that we can find out what true, but it would be nice.
Speaker 5: To know what happened.
Speaker 3: I would not with somebody coming justice.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna bring him back, but uh, they might heal the moon.
Speaker 1: Who or what killed Christopher Allen Whitey. Why was the case closed and his killer never found? From Free Range Productions with the Dallas Morning News. This is season four of the Unforgotten Kill site. I'm your host Wes Ferguson, and this is episode one, Just do It. Back in twenty twenty, on the day after Thanksgiving, Kimberly Sprool got a horrible feeling about her son, Christopher.
Speaker 2: So this is gonna sound crazy to you, but I can predict when things are gonna happen. It's like a week before Christmas.
Speaker 3: Not I predicted it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll number been twenty seven.
Speaker 3: My chest doesn't really bad. I got anxiety, really bad.
Speaker 1: Kimberly was with her boyfriend Patrick.
Speaker 2: Sometimes I say christ for six and a dog. He's like, what, I was not gonna go marsh room. Seat of six happened?
Speaker 1: Christopher by Christopher was twenty eight years old, five foot eight and slender, with thick glasses and dark brown hair. He grew up in Dublin, Texas, a small town about an hour and a half southwest.
Speaker 3: Of Fort Worth.
Speaker 1: Christopher's loved ones say he had a lot of problems. He also had a goofy side.
Speaker 6: You know, I remember kimberly talking about his sense of humor and how funny he was.
Speaker 1: This is my friend, Charlie Scudder.
Speaker 6: And she used some examples that wasn't my kind of humor necessarily, but you know, they brought her so much joy. And these kinds of family and jokes and teasing each other and making inappropriate comments to each other and that kind of thing. I could see that being a really joyful person.
Speaker 1: Charlie was a reporter for the Dallas Morning News when Christopher was killed. He spent weeks, if not months, digging into the case. To this day, Charlie knows almost too much about Christopher Whiteley.
Speaker 6: He did have a few tattoos, one kind of vulgar one near his crotch.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 6: It was a Nike swish that said just do it? I think let me double chat. Ok I think that's what it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here we go.
Speaker 6: Okay, yes, yep. Just above the pubic area is a Nike symbol in the words just do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just funny. I know. It's like, come on, man, did you come across his YouTube page? I did not know, so, yeah, it's from a long time. It's from twenty eleven or so. Ok, so this would have been probably like what late teens, I think, maybe before he became a dad. Yeah, there's just a few, but they're really funny. There's one called Ghetto Jackass.
Speaker 7: Following video feature stunts performed either by dumbasses or on the supervision of dumbasses.
Speaker 1: And it's it's like him. You could tell which one is him. It's really obvious because he's kind of small. He's got this like thin mustache and thick glasses and they're in a junk yard or something, and his buddy crawls up on top of this shed and gets inside a barrel.
Speaker 3: This is ghetto jackets.
Speaker 1: And then no, Chris is like holding up the barrel with some boards and then he pulls the boards away.
Speaker 6: Huh.
Speaker 1: Barrel rolls down the shed and like the smacks on the ground. Dude lands like head first. It comes just like spilling out of this barrel like shit head, all jacked up, and it's one of those don't do this at home, but they're just cracking up like a couple of dumb kids having the time of their life.
Speaker 3: So yeah, ghetto jackass.
Speaker 6: Yeah that sounds that sounds like someone who gets a just do it tattoo above the crush. Yeah, I mean that, I mean.
Speaker 3: That would love right?
Speaker 1: Oh sure, I mean I think we all had friends that would you know, you're eighteen and you gotta.
Speaker 3: Just do it tattoos?
Speaker 6: Hey, you know.
Speaker 1: But you know he had stuff about his like how to feed his baby iguana. But then he also has It's called My Life and it's a video montage set to the Titanic theme.
Speaker 6: Like my heart will go on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Selene Dion, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: He had a couple of videos of Tyler. Tyler is a name you'll want to remember. Her full name is Samantha Tyler Arlene Messina. She was Christopher's teenage sweetheart, his on and off girlfriend, and the mother of his two children. In Christopher's videos, Tyler has big blue eyes and long wet hair, all wrapped up in a towel fresh from the shower. He's like just kind of teasing her, and she flips off the camera and it's like, what do you do it?
Speaker 3: This is my girln Part two. Being a weirdo, A weirdo, a weirdo. She's probably looking at new guys right now, right maybe all.
Speaker 1: You mesh staggy nuts.
Speaker 7: They look like an old man when we called him.
Speaker 3: Oh, she's telling them, we.
Speaker 1: Just kind of usual young couple kind of stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hadn't seen those. That makes me smile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it also shows his creativity and it shows why, you know, the people who loved him would have loved him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And that's the thing that.
Speaker 5: Is so frustrating, because it's like, that's a person, right, that is a fully formed person. Again, warts and all. There's a little dirt, it's reality, but.
Speaker 6: That is not somebody who should just be ignored right after death.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: That's I'm shaking my head over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sad.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The videos show mostly good times, but there were some awful times too. In twenty sixteen, Christopher admitted to cutting Tyler's wrist with an exact o knife.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so he was charged with the aggravated all the deadly weapon. He pled guilty and was sentenced to five years in prison. In prison, Christopher's family says he got clean and he was doing well, and he was looking good. He looked healthy for the first time in a long time. You know, I've seen some pictures of him during this time. He's you know, looks.
Speaker 3: Under and fuller.
Speaker 6: He gets out in twenty twenty, and then what he was looking for a job. He was trying to make an honest living for those first few months.
Speaker 1: And was supposedly working in the oil field.
Speaker 6: Right yeah, yeah, yeah, and going out to West Texas to working on oil field where again acquaint to his family. He was staying clean and doing well.
Speaker 1: And while he was in prison, Tyler got married to another.
Speaker 6: Guy, right yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: But then not long after Christopher's out of prison, they reunite.
Speaker 6: Yes, we don't know the circumstances of how they got together or when they got together, but we know that he was seeing her and I think I remember Kimberly talking about them trying to get the kids back, So maybe that's how they got back into contact, was to talk about the custody issues.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they.
Speaker 6: Ended up getting back into contact.
Speaker 1: They move into a trailer on Tyler's uncle's property.
Speaker 6: Yes, he starts spending more and more time out that trailer.
Speaker 1: And that's where they start using drugs again.
Speaker 8: Yep.
Speaker 1: Christopher had been out of prison for less than six months when Thanksgiving rolled around in twenty twenty, and Kimberly got that horrible feeling about her son, that Christopher was about to die. Kimberly had just spoken to Christopher a couple of days earlier, and she talked to him about Tyler. Apparently things were not going well for the couple.
Speaker 2: And I went to stay in the car with him and he said, Mama, I would die for her.
Speaker 3: I said, christ do you really mean that?
Speaker 2: And he said, yes, Mama, I do, I would.
Speaker 9: Die for her.
Speaker 2: I went and told the dog for I sing, my son's fixing to die, and he gave me anxiety feels and simeon.
Speaker 1: Christopher Whitely before he died, was staying with his longtime on and off girlfriend, Tyler Messina at her great uncle's place. It was right outside the Texas town of Lapan. That's pronounced light Pan, right, yes, kind of a Liepan Whpan. Liepan is tiny, about five hundred people.
Speaker 6: Liepan isn't even a one stoplight town. It's a highway. It's a gas station, in a library, in a post office, and that's about it.
Speaker 1: The town's about forty miles up the road from Dublin, the little town where Christopher grew up. It's in a part of Texas called the Western Cross timbers where right in the middle of the prairie, there's randomly all these trees and hills. Just one week after Christopher told Kimberly he was willing to die for Tyler, the couple stayed up late partying Tuesday night spilled into Wednesday morning.
Speaker 2: Something but I'm drinking all money, heaving a party till three thirty in the morning. Christcher did try to call me that morning. Okay, I missed the call because I turned the phone off.
Speaker 1: Kimberly missed his call, but Christopher got ahold of his dad, Robert at seven forty one am. Christopher said he was having some kind of emergency.
Speaker 3: It couldn't an emergency.
Speaker 9: He needed to ride from there because proposing to the people in that house or somebody's out there leaving and he needs to ride.
Speaker 1: You're hearing Robert in a recording made by the local sheriff's office.
Speaker 9: He was talking to me that there was a undrew or three people in the background.
Speaker 1: Hang on a minute, he said, I gotta walk away. But Christopher didn't give any names. He didn't say who he had to walk away from.
Speaker 9: Oh, he had to walked away from him, drank him talk filmy, and he talked to me for a while and I stood fun hung up, and I went ahead and start getting dressed.
Speaker 6: All this.
Speaker 9: That called me back again and trought me.
Speaker 3: A little bit more, and I'd be on my waist.
Speaker 9: I told him, I said, I said, I don't never go out there. If something went out, skin like geograph were done.
Speaker 3: One lady's hanger, his sold out.
Speaker 1: I know that was hard to follow. Robert said he could hear two or three people in the background. He told Christopher that he told him to never go over there to Tyler's place, and the phone call ended abruptly. Robert wasn't sure if Christopher hung up or if someone made him hang up, whatever was going on. Robert hit the road for lightpan doug Man.
Speaker 9: I got there, I called his fine.
Speaker 1: Somebody answered the call, but no one said anything. Robert stayed on the line for about two minutes nothing, and then I just.
Speaker 9: Found up because that stuff I would ask through it. I parked the one side of the road all called him, said him, I was there. That's say him. I was there, and as he neither would have thrown I called the phone twenty one time, sitting there fifteen twenty minutes I was there. I never begin to get it after his phone.
Speaker 1: After I called her, so something's obviously going on. Christopher's having an emergency. Robert drives all the way over to Lightpan. He calls his son a bunch, waits there for a while, but when Christopher never shows, he eventually leaves and drives back to Dublin. Kimberly woke up later in the day and also tried to call Christopher, but he didn't answer her. No one could get a hold of him, not his parents, not his friends. Kimberly was also trying to get in touch with Tyler. Finally, Tyler responded to a direct message on Facebook.
Speaker 2: I said, did you find Christopher?
Speaker 3: She said, we're napping.
Speaker 1: I've seen a screenshot of this exchange. First, Tyler says, Chris is asleep. Is he with you? Kimberly asks, and Tyler responds, yeah, we're napping. The screenshot isn't timestamped, so I can't be exactly sure when Tyler and Kimberly were sending these messages. But it's weird for Tyler to say she and Christopher were napping when in truth she hadn't seen him all day. Whatever, was going on. It wasn't until the following afternoon, more than thirty hours since Christopher was last seen, that anybody bothered.
Speaker 4: To call the law head County nine one one. What's the address? Have your emergency?
Speaker 1: Christopher had this friend named Pollie Huggins. Pollie is the one who finally dialed nine to one one. She wasn't reporting an emergency, not exactly. Polly just wasn't sure what else to do.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to do this because I've never had to. But I had a friend Paul, saying that her boyfriend thought that boyfriend came to Minting, which is one of my really good friends. And she's claiming that he up in just West in the middle of night or something like that. And I've tried to get her to go walk and looking for him, and she's like, oh, well, you know, giving me all kinds of stories.
Speaker 1: Polly wanted someone from the Sheriff's office to go check on her friend.
Speaker 4: It sounds are you sketchy like to me and his entire family. I just want to know if he's okay, okay?
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 4: Christopher Alan Whiteley? Is there a history of violin or drug or alcoholis well, actually I'm I'm going to tell you the truth.
Speaker 3: She's on probation.
Speaker 4: He just got out of prison for trying to kill her.
Speaker 1: At one time, according to Paulie, Tyler's ken folk were threatening Christopher and telling him to stay away. Christopher had done pretty much the opposite of that, and I heard her uncle talk to him the way her family talks.
Speaker 4: To him on the phone, you know, like if y'all ever get back together with promise, we'll do something to you. Like I said, he hasn't been out of prison long. We tried to keep him around us and keep her away, but he says up being down there in love blah blah blah, and we'll tell me it's a bad deal with Paull that I can too.
Speaker 1: It was also hard to understand who was over at the house that night.
Speaker 4: She kept saying it was like two people, and she's like, I never heard them get out of bed and here accuse them. I was like, why didn't he calls cops like he could be anywhere. So that's why Paul joel, because she's not showing any ascrout in my eyes, if.
Speaker 1: You didn't follow that, Polly said. Tyler also told her there were two people with him that night and she never heard them get out of bed. Paully wanted Tyler to call the cops, but she wouldn't do it, and Polly's eyes, Tyler wasn't making any effort to find Christopher. Shortly after Polly's nine to one one call, two deputies from the Hood County Sheriff's Office arrive at the property. It's stuck behind some trees on Howl Road, this narrow road that winds through the country about a mile outside of Laipan. On their bodycam videos, Deputy Daniel Martin and Deputy Tyler Looper are seen knocking on the door.
Speaker 3: Morning.
Speaker 1: An older man comes to the door. His name is Kenneth Impy and he's technically Tyler's great uncle, but he often refers to Tyler as his granddaughter. He owns the property where Tyler and Christopher had been staying and he lives there too. He's mostly bald on top, with scraggly long gray hair on the sides and a long gray beard.
Speaker 3: Oh Christopher here now? If there he isn't? Is his girlfriend?
Speaker 1: My granddaughter?
Speaker 9: Fo?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Can we speak with her?
Speaker 9: Huh?
Speaker 3: We're here just checking on Christopher.
Speaker 7: He was here, and yesterday morning, when I got up, my front door was open.
Speaker 4: He was gone.
Speaker 1: We had no idea where he's at. Tyler comes out of another room, pulling on a hoodie.
Speaker 3: We're looking for Chris.
Speaker 1: When Tyler hears Christopher's name, she kind of flinches or shrugs and goes bug eyed for a second. I don't really know how to interpret her reaction.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, I've been looking for him too. He left yesterday morning, didn't even wake me up or anything.
Speaker 3: Why would he leave to go to work?
Speaker 1: Christopher technically had a job, but he hadn't been showing up. His friends had called his work, but he wasn't there.
Speaker 3: So he left for work and never came back. And you didn't think that was weird.
Speaker 8: I did think it was weird. That's when I started calling his friends and his parents. I was like, did y'all come pick him up? Because he didn't tell me why.
Speaker 3: So between four and seven he left.
Speaker 8: I was passed out on the bed. I remember hearing him faintly talk on the phone to somebody about coming to get him. But I didn't think it was going to be right then and there. And next thing I know, I wake up at already eight and he's not there.
Speaker 3: Are y'all fighting?
Speaker 8: Oh no, we're just cleaning and drinking.
Speaker 1: Deputy Daniel Martin asks to see Tyler's phone and he scrolls through Oliver text with Christopher. The messages are hard to read on the body cam video, but there are a lot, all of them from Tyler.
Speaker 3: Is there any reason that you would feel like he's in danger?
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: I mean, I just I don't know.
Speaker 6: So it's not abnormal for him just kind of take out them.
Speaker 8: This is very weird. Like I was trying to say earlier, he calls me like every fought for ten minutes. I haven't had a phone call in two days.
Speaker 7: Does you have any enemies anybody that's been calling, harassing y'all anything like that.
Speaker 8: He's harassed us, But he always has had enemies, I mean everywhere. But this just this doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: You know, that's kind of interesting. Tyler says, Christopher has enemies everywhere. The deputy again asks Tyler if she and Christopher had been fighting.
Speaker 8: We argue off and on like a normal couple, So I think they're number.
Speaker 6: He had went to go to work he.
Speaker 8: Was just not going to text me like I usually don't text him whenever I'm out at.
Speaker 3: Him, so, you know, no, And that's the thing. We didn't even go to sleeve mat or anything.
Speaker 8: We weren't even fighting, and that's why I started to realize. I was like, we weren't even fighting, So what is really going on?
Speaker 1: Deputy Martin looks at Tyler's text messages with Christopher's dad Robert.
Speaker 3: This his dad, Robert? Yes, why does he think somebody dumped him in the ditch?
Speaker 5: I know, that's what I said. I was like, wow, he told me that on the phone.
Speaker 8: I was like, how can you just talk about your kids?
Speaker 1: So, using Tyler's phone, Deputy Martin steps outside to call Christopher's dad.
Speaker 3: What did you think, Robert? Yeah, this is Deputy Martin. It's the Hook County Sheriff's office.
Speaker 1: Her Christopher's dad, Robert answers the call from Tyler's phone. It's the Sheriff's deputy.
Speaker 3: We're out here.
Speaker 7: We were called to check on your son, Chris, because nobody's heard from me.
Speaker 9: That's right again, I mean people texting me and all that looking for him.
Speaker 1: I don't don't worry.
Speaker 7: That is this weird that he would have took off and he's not answering his phone or texting or anybody.
Speaker 1: It takes a while for Robert to answer, kind of. Robert goes on to tell the deputy about the weird phone calls he had with Christopher the previous morning. How Christopher said he was dealing with an emergency and needed his dad to come get him.
Speaker 3: Did he say what the emergency was.
Speaker 9: No, Well, the thing he told me people out there or somebody was out there and fiction to leave, and they were going somewhere and he couldn't stay there, so he had to leave and he had.
Speaker 3: Do you think he could be in danger? Uh? Poshi Blake?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: The deputy calls the Hood County Jail to see if Chris has been arrested, but he's not in jail. He's not at the local hospital either. Back inside the house, Tyler is pressed on who was actually at the house that night that Chris disappeared.
Speaker 3: Who else was out here when he called his dad.
Speaker 7: His dad said he could hear people in the background and he said, I need a ride.
Speaker 3: People out here leaving.
Speaker 1: Tyler raises another possibility. She tells the deputies that Christopher had been complaining of chest pain. She also said his blood pressure was low, but her great uncle Kenneth contradicts her.
Speaker 2: It was one forty six over seventy six.
Speaker 3: One forty six over seventy six.
Speaker 1: That's not terrible, he asks Uncle Kenneth one of the same questions he just asked, Tyler.
Speaker 3: Is anybody else here with y'all? No? Okay, uh like, get that there.
Speaker 1: He did walk you out.
Speaker 7: We're gonna ping your cell phone if it's in the area, We're gonna obviously look.
Speaker 3: For right now.
Speaker 7: We don't know if he's on it, if he went to walk to meet his dad and passed out and a ditch.
Speaker 3: Should we do We don't know.
Speaker 1: Deputy Martin radio's is dispatcher. Within ten minutes, they get a ping on Christopher's phone. It's showing that his phone is just three tenths of a mile southwest of the trailer home. Deputy Martin and Deputy Looper make their way through the woods to that ping location. The ping was supposed to be accurate to within four meters or about thirteen feet, but it's getting dark and cold and the deputies can't really see anything. They widen their search. Other first responders from the volunteer Fire Department and the Sheriff's office begin to arrive, but they still can't really find anything. They're getting ready to leave the woods when one of the men finds this blue bag next to a tree. It's sitting in a pull of blood. He opens the bag and inside he finds paperwork with Christopher's name on it. Then he notices the small trail of blood it's leading away from the bag, more little drops of blood every few feet. Going deeper into the woods. About twenty yards from the bag and that pull of blood, they find a bunch of brushes and sticks, and underneath it's Christopher. He's curled up in the fetal position, lifeless. When they roll him over, that's when they see Christopher's neck and they realize there's a killer on the loose. Next time on The Unforgotten, our top story tonight, he.
Speaker 3: Could have been surprised. We don't really know. It doesn't make sense at all.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to The Unforgotten. To dig deeper into the story and see photos, case files, and more, check out our newsletter at Unforgotten pod dot com. The Unforgotten is a free range production Season four. Kilsite was produced here at Free Range in association with the Dallas Morning News. Editing by Aislin Gaddis, Sound design and audio engineering from Austin Sisler with Eastside Studios. Charlie Scudder and I are executive producers. Special thanks to Morgan Ohanlan. Don't Forget Unforgotten pod dot com.
Speaker 3: See us soon