Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from KFI A M six forty exercise.
Speaker 2: You well listen, Lot says it short work out this bad job, don't.
Speaker 3: Work out.
Speaker 4: Kim six forty Later with Mo Kelly. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. It's now time to talk to the nice exercise Lady, Claudie Cooper, who's been away for a couple of weeks. Is good to see you, Claudide and she joined us in the studio.
Speaker 3: It's great to be back. I'm sorry I brought my raspy voice with me, but I have. I've taught twenty one classes two weeks, so I've been yelling at people. So I don't know if you can call me the nice exercise lady anymore.
Speaker 2: Because they're mad at me right now.
Speaker 4: When you're yelling at someone, do sometimes they take offense at that or do they understand I've.
Speaker 2: Had people walk out of my class flat out.
Speaker 4: Ooh yeah, when you're yelling at them? Are you yelling pointily?
Speaker 5: It's like, all right, Christine, I need.
Speaker 2: To know look it up.
Speaker 3: Absolutely not I would ever, but I do a blanket. I'm trying to help you guys, get the results that you say you want.
Speaker 2: So if I have to light a fire, I have to light a fire.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: I sent you a story today because I don't think about this, but you probably have. There's a Colorado fitness program for seniors which is incorporating a variety of exercises to not only improve wellness, but it's conscious of avoiding or limiting injury. I haven't thought about that, But how often do you have to think about that? As far as you doing those twenty one classes? Variety of ages, variety of health conditions, variety of limitations.
Speaker 2: I always say, it's all shapes, all sizes.
Speaker 3: How do I incorporate my knowledge about injuries and age and all these different things. Usually what I do is just to keep myself safe. I say, if you feel like something could potentially injure you, please don't do it. Even if I'm saying to do it, ignore me for your safety.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's where I usually get in trouble because male ego will take over and I'm determined and I'm self aware in this regard. I'm determined to keep up, probably to my detriment at times. Yeah, And I can see a situation where people are like Okay, you know, I'm doing this because it's going to be good for my health, and maybe they should not be doing it at that pace or that level of rigorousness.
Speaker 2: I mean, they'll be all right. You were all right after my workout, weren't.
Speaker 3: You, mom? Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was. But I'm not sedentary either, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So here's my point. A lot of times, what you have in these situations. I'll just tell the listeners about the article a little bit more. There's two guys, each of them passionate about fitness, one of them passionate about rehabilitation and recovery. And then the other one his mother had dementia and a stroke, so he got first hand knowledge of what it's like to watch someone age, and he is passionate about health. So these two guys come together and what they do is they go into retirement communities and they give them like a prescription of what they should be offering for the seniors. Now, my grandmother lives in a retirement community, and she too has group fitness class.
Speaker 5: Let me stuff ot there. Yes, you still have grandparents.
Speaker 2: I have one.
Speaker 5: That is a blessing.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I know, I know ninety this year.
Speaker 4: Oh, my god, I've had a grandparents since two thousand and three.
Speaker 3: Wow, well, you know, I'm a little younger than you, but I.
Speaker 2: Meanly, but yes, I do so.
Speaker 3: And she's active and that's and she lives in a retirement community. There's two things at play. When you live in a retirement community, you're more likely to socialize with your.
Speaker 2: Fellow community members right now.
Speaker 3: The second thing is, these two guys put the group fitness programming into the retirement community. What's better than getting up and going dancing, stretching, strengthening taiji. I mean, they've got all this stuff with the people you already connect with when you're you know, walking around the.
Speaker 2: Little neighborhood there.
Speaker 5: Kind of like college.
Speaker 3: Actually, it feels a lot like my gym because I set the programming in such a way that I felt like it would be connective people, and that's what group fitness is supposed to be.
Speaker 4: I wonder have you started having that internal conversation with yourself. You have said something to the effect of, I don't go hard all the time like I used to when I was younger as far as your teaching, But do you apply that to yourself in any way?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I definitely give myself a lot more grace now than I used to. I'm not.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not playing.
Speaker 3: And when I say to my members, hey, guys, make sure you're listening to your body, it's because I'm listening to my body. But like today, for example, I taught a class. My voice is gone, so I had to do a lot of physical cues. Somebody said, well, we can tell by how you were moving. You don't feel too bad, do you, because I still have the physical ability to exercise.
Speaker 2: My voice is gone from yelling. But other than that, yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 4: I'm always conscious of the status of my voice because I needed every single day, and I'm always aware of how much I'm using it outside of here, how loud I may be using it outside of here. My dietary intake because I almost eat, no drink, no dairy now because it will cope my throat and it's much easier for me to have issues with my voice. I say all that to say, what are the things that you're conscious of to make sure that you are at your best when you're doing what you do?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: That is I don't know what do I do?
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't just work out aimlessly. I do not work out aimlessly. I do take my time with the exercises. These days, I'm a little slower. I don't jump as much as I used to. I used to do a lot of high intensity training. I don't do a lot of that anymore. I'm trying to protect my knees.
Speaker 4: Yes, I get that. I know, knock on wood. I haven't had any problem with my knees. I'm always conscious of my hips. I feel it in my hips. I feel the almost forty years of kicking hips and so and I wish you could see this.
Speaker 5: I stretch every day.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I stretch multiple times at different points to day. Like I've been sitting in this chair for almost an hour. I'll probably walk around and do some light stretching before this show's over. There are times that you've seen it when come in the studio. I'm doing the show standing up. Why to give myself some just some vertical stretching.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, and going from standing or sitting to standing is one of the ways that we can continue to.
Speaker 2: Mobilize our body.
Speaker 3: Right, it's not a big deal, and it's not a huge change to a person's lifestyle. But with the phones and the TVs and the laptops and the iPads.
Speaker 2: We're on our but way more than we should be.
Speaker 5: Okay, And I ask you a question of personal question before we go to break.
Speaker 4: When you don't have a voice like this, does your husband take advantage and sort of just take liberties where Oh.
Speaker 5: But he can't hear your saying huh, I can't hear you. Did you say something?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you this. He's probably glad. I can't talk too much. I'm trying to protect my voice.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, all right, It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 4: The nice exercise lady Claudine Cooper, who I guess wasn't as nice as he usually is as she's struggling with her voice, joins us in studio.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: It's Later with mo Kelly.
Speaker 4: I'm joined in studio by the nice exercise lady Claudie Cooper, who joins us, who is struggling with her voice.
Speaker 5: So I don't want that to surprise you. If you're just tuning in right now.
Speaker 3: It's just a little raspy tonight, they'll be okay, okay, all.
Speaker 4: Right, but I always want to make sure we make time for you to tell people about what you do each and every Saturday, especially since we're well into spring now moving towards summer.
Speaker 5: There is an outdoor.
Speaker 4: Option for people, a free options, a free option for people to go ahead and get the workout on.
Speaker 3: And it's all levels, just like I said earlier, so all levels are welcome, all ages. There's a lot a lot of families that come out. It's a free outdoor workout and it's in Inglewood at the Hollywood Park retail district at nine am every Saturday, and it's totally free. Also there's a farmer's market, so you can go get your workout, leave the workout, go get a fresh press, juice, kale, whatever.
Speaker 4: It is a great experience and I don't know how you manage it because some people may show up a little later.
Speaker 5: You don't know who is going to show up.
Speaker 4: You don't know, like you may have in your mind, I'm going to do this, I may do that, but depending on the client, tell who shows up.
Speaker 5: Going back to our conversation last segment, I.
Speaker 4: Was there where you see someone who's on the other side of sixty five.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely and beyond.
Speaker 3: But I believe everybody has the ability to rise to the occasion mo and even if they can't keep all the way up, sometimes just being in community with people is the uplifting medicine. I think this article that you sent me earlier about the retirement community having group fitness is a very good demonstration of how community can make the aging process a lot more tolerable. You have people who are connecting in a social way as well as in a healthy way.
Speaker 2: Of doing movement, and they're living longer.
Speaker 4: And not only that. I can only speak for what I've seen with your group, yeap. People are encouraging each other. They are not competing. There's a difference, and I've been in places where people are obviously showing off and competing, oh yeah, as opposed to encourage you one another.
Speaker 2: You know, it was funny, Moh.
Speaker 3: I think two weeks ago we got kicked out of our space where we normally do the workout, and you know, it was no big deal. It was just they were having something for the soccer semi finals or something on that area. So I didn't really know where we would go, but I knew that if I gathered everyone together that, like you said, they would encourage each other and we would just figure it out. Well, we didn't have any music or anything. We're just kind of like just standing there.
Speaker 2: What are we going to do? What are we gonna do?
Speaker 3: And I got to tell you, the way things always seem to work out for these free workouts cannot be described as anything but divine. So I have no music, I've got about fifty people waiting for a workout, and I'm like where we're gonna go. They're all looking at me, like where we go and where we are? I'm like, okay, so let me figure this out. I walk a little ways. I tell them let's go for a walk. And that's something I want to impress upon people. It doesn't have to be overly complicated. It doesn't have to be a gym membership or you know, group fitness classes. It can just be walking outside. And if you have a place that's not that safe and you want to find somewhere where you can walk. A lot of parks have trails, well lit trails. I'm not sure where everybody is, but my Inner City park has a nice track. And so I say that to say going for a walk is enough so we start walking together and we stumbled upon an outdoor restaurant that was basically playing the exact playlist that I would play if I was touching a workout. So I look around. Everybody's looking at me, No one's at the restaurant. The restaurant's completely empty. I'm like, this is the spot. We just start moving our bodies. The music's going. The owner of the restaurant comes out, sees us in the area of the patio and all this stuff doing our workout. He's like, let me turn that music up for you guys, and we had such a wonderful workout. But I just say that to say it always works out.
Speaker 4: You mentioned walking, and not too long ago you led the group which included me, on a walk around that retail district. What how has it changed, or I put it in your words, how much it has changed that area in the past year or so.
Speaker 3: You know, I would like to say it's changed a lot, but the big changes that obviously iconics. The gym that I work for is there in in a lot of foot traffic, and because of that, other businesses have opened up since then, but it's still not occupied to the place where we could just you know, hang out there all day. There's a couple little spots, but we need more businesses in Inglewood. We need grocery stores, we need salad spots, we need healthy fare. If anybody who's listening, we have spaces in the Hollywood Park Retail District and we have tons of foot traffic from the gym and we need it's so nice, Yes we do. So that's me making my plea because I love the new restaurant that's in there that allowed us to work out. It's called the Meeting Spot. I love it, but we need about three of those four of those.
Speaker 5: I'm going to be at the Meeting Spot a lot of the summer.
Speaker 4: It's an outdoor restaurant, yes, and it's not far from the movies, which I usually go to get food, so I know exactly where you're talking about.
Speaker 5: That's going to be my hangout.
Speaker 4: But for people who've never been there who expect possibly to join you this Saturday again, please give them the information.
Speaker 3: Basically, you would just go to the area around so far and you'll go to a complex called the Hollywood Park Retail District. We're right in the middle on the basketball court. Parking validated Farmers Market. You'll see the movie theater.
Speaker 2: It's all right there.
Speaker 4: The best place to park it, and I when I go there is I. Just if you're going down Century, go north on Prairie. You'll make an immediate rite, which is ninety seventh Street into that parking structure.
Speaker 5: Easy way, easy to find it from there.
Speaker 4: Yes, just you can just follow the screaming of people you know, passing out from.
Speaker 2: No you're singing. You'll follow the joyful noise, clauding Cooper.
Speaker 5: Always great to see you.
Speaker 2: Always great to be here, and I plan to be back next week.
Speaker 5: Now let your voice rest the rested evening. Can you do that?
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 4: It's Later with mo Kelly caf I AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from PFI A M six forty