Speaker 1: It's been a great first two hours at Dodger Fest. David Vaz say live on your home for the World Series Champion Dodgers. Thank you to Andrew Freeman for answering very uncomfortably and candidly to some of those questions about Keik Hernandez and showho Tani's timeline. But he's awesome. He was balancing taking care of his daughters. So he is a hero to the people for resigning Taoscar Hernandez and a hero to me personally for bringing in the two times two time Cy Young Award winner Snell Zilla, Blake Snell, Blake Snell. And I'm joined right now by a man that I need in my life every day, and we're gonna have to FaceTime while he's rehabbing from that shoulder surgery. A man that made more starts than any other Dodger last year, a man that pitched more innings than any other Dodger last year. A man that was the only Dodger to pitch a complete game shutout last year in Chicago against the White Sox. That is the one and only Gavin Stone from Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave.
Speaker 3: What an introduction that was.
Speaker 1: Thank you man, I'm happy to see you. I'm happy you were just hanging out in that green room doing absolutely nothing to.
Speaker 2: Cut on the show.
Speaker 3: That was my downtown. I didn't have anything to do with that time.
Speaker 1: It was so weird and creepy how you and Kyle Hurt put your heads through the door like kids at summer camp. I mean, like it was so creepy the way you guys were creeping up on me.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Yoshi yet. That was the first time I saw Yoshi. Yeah, he looks good, and yeah, I thought I was. I know he's Yamamoto said I had to lose weight, did Yeah, Youiro lost some weight.
Speaker 1: Yeah he did. Maybe that's why he's on me.
Speaker 2: To you on that train.
Speaker 4: Dang it.
Speaker 1: I know my doctor said I have to lose ten pounds. That's the shortcut, waist stone. I think I'm going to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe the people that walk by here, if you feel like they've lost abnormally a lot of weight, we could just pick and say Ozimpik yes.
Speaker 3: Or no, Okay, there's probably I mean, are you.
Speaker 1: A Kardashian fan? How about this guy from my heart right here, Skinny Rob Kardashing Ozempig Rob Kardashian right.
Speaker 3: Here, I know zero about the Kardashians. Yeah, help with them at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not keeping up with the Kardashians. Hey, hey, hello, No, I'm not at all. I try not to anyways. Gavin Stone, how's life.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's good.
Speaker 3: Just been back home from Arkansas and Phoenix back and forth all off season. But I'm in Phoenix now for good. So be there for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you will.
Speaker 1: I heard. It's a real examination. It's like being in the desert for forty days and forty nights grinding through rehab. Walker Buehlers told me about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I love Phoenix is a beautiful area of beautiful town. I mean, so that part will be nice, but you know, I'll definitely miss being on the mound pitching, being a competitor in that aspect of it. But just found new hob for this.
Speaker 1: This year, I guess, I mean being such a competitor, right, you have to find a way to turn rehab into a competition, I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's probably the hardest part, is is there not being any like sort of competition in that aspect of like pitching in a big league game, So that'll be tough, and you know, the adrenaline that that we all thrown for and just find the new ways to find that throughout this year and and you know, staying positive is a big thing and keep the momenttal good. So yeah, looking forward to just you know, getting through it and getting back on the mound.
Speaker 1: When you look back at your great rookie season, obviously disappointing that you couldn't be part of October, but you were such a big part to help the Dodgers get there. Was there one game? Was it Chicago? Was it the complete game? Is there moments in time that you think back and say, man, that's when I arrived?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, maybe I think just you know, being in a clubhouse with a bunch of veterans like we had and and learning from them, learning and watching and and you know, just having them there and helped me along the way. But Chicago was a big one, really definitely a confidence boost there. And then had a little downstretch through or after the All Star break and curse was kind of the one to kind of put me back. Cursing Barnes kind of help helped me like get back on track after that, and so you know, credit to those guys in the clubhouse, they really they really help each other and help everybody around him.
Speaker 1: Gavin Stone is joining us here at Dodger Fast on m five seventy LA Sports and I'm glad you brought up Kershaw because he really took an interest in you. How much did he help you? And I guess that says a lot about you for him to even want to help you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just figuring out what kind of competitor he was and then trying to be trying to replicate that on the mound.
Speaker 2: I think that was the.
Speaker 3: Biggest thing, you know, in all aspects of it, in the weight room, on the mound, you know, eating with his family, like he's he's a great dude overall and at all aspects, and he's a great competitor, and so just learning how how he goes out there and competes every day and and and trying to replicate that.
Speaker 1: When you saw Walker Buehler come out of the bullpen in Game five of the World Series, what was Gavin Stone thinking.
Speaker 3: I knew he was going to go in as soon as I saw him walk down there, I knew he was going to go in. We didn't have a lot of arms to begin with, and I mean he was he was pretty much he was good to go. That was the last game of the year, and so he was on a couple of days' rest, I think, more than what we had in the bullpen at the time. So I knew that if it was closed, then he was definitely gonna get his shot, and that's that's what he lives for, and I'm glad he got that shot.
Speaker 1: Were you in the dugout that night in Game five?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was, And I was in the dugout and watched him run down. I don't even think Mark knew he ran down at that time, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Did he tip any of you guys off that he was doing it.
Speaker 3: No, I just seen him walk behind me because I was on the rail and I just saw him walk behind me with the spikes on his glove, and you just took.
Speaker 1: Off when you see a guy like that do what he did and you saw the result winning the World Series. Did you visualize Gavin Stone one day being that guy? Would you love to be that guy in that situation?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think everybody, everybody that loves baseball and wants to be a competitor, would thrive in that situation and love to be put in that situation, but Walker's a different animal, and to succeed in that situation, and and just to know how much he has succeeded in the postseason, especially the World Series. He was the right man for that job. And that was really cool that he got that moment.
Speaker 1: Man so cool because he's meant so much to the Dodgers and if that's going to be the last image, I mean, that's what a way to go out, right. Yeah, he's a post.
Speaker 3: He's a hero forever.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about your post? Would you do a Walker Bueller post? No, you don't seem to be that type of guy.
Speaker 3: No, Walk's got the poses down and he was actually he was trying to decide. I feel like he was trying to decide what he wanted to do, and that was that was what he came up with, which I mean credit to him, it was great, but uh, yeah, that was that was really cool.
Speaker 1: We were debating about holidays, me and Gavin Stone before we came on the air. You're a big Thanksgiving guy. I might skip the country next year for Thanksgiving. Why do you love? Why do you love Thanksgiving so much. I mean, I'm not a Turkey guy.
Speaker 3: I love the Fall. My birthday's in the fall, Halloween's in the fall. Christmas is not in the fall.
Speaker 1: You won the World Series in the Fall, the Fall classic exactly.
Speaker 3: The Fall is the best time of the year.
Speaker 1: When's your birthday?
Speaker 3: October fifteenth?
Speaker 1: Mine's October tenth. You were a Libra? Are you really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: There we go. And October fifteenth, I believe, is the date that Kirk Gibson hit his walk off home run.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety eight. Right, eighty eight eighty eight, okay, ten years before I was born.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: You didn't tell me happy birthday.
Speaker 1: You didn't tell me happy birthday.
Speaker 3: I didn't know your birthday was a tenth day.
Speaker 1: I never knew it was the fifteenth.
Speaker 3: By the way the Dodgers posted it, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, they give everybody a happy Birthday wish.
Speaker 3: I know you saw it.
Speaker 1: They even give Tim never to Happy Birthday wish on Twitter. I mean, you think you're special.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right. You seem to be.
Speaker 1: A guy that really wants to promote his birthday two weeks before I'm learning a lot about you holidays and birthdays right now.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not at all.
Speaker 1: You just promoted your birthday.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying all the greatest events of the year are in You.
Speaker 1: Just promoted your October fifteenth birthday on February first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you want to give me a cake or something, yeah, exactly, birthday present. Six month mark is coming up. My half birthdays.
Speaker 1: Can you celebrate half birthdays too? You're like, my kids.
Speaker 3: Might as well if people are going to give you presents.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. By the way, Fourth of July barbecue way better than Thanksgiving dinner.
Speaker 3: That's debatable. I don't know about that. Where I'm from, there's mosquitos everywhere, and so you can't really like you can enjoy Fourth of July.
Speaker 1: I don't think you can enjoy a lot from where you're from. You just said Phoenix. Yeah, trust me, I will never be in Arkansas, I don't. You're the best thing. And Derek Fisher too, the greatest things to come out of Arkansas. And Bill Clinton Yeah yeah, Hey, I don't know where you stand politically, but Bill Clinton a famous guy either way. Those are the three famous guys.
Speaker 3: Derek Fisher, Joe Johnson. We got Joe Johnson.
Speaker 1: Please we sind it right here. Hey, thanks a lot. And like I said, while you're grinding in Arizona coming back to be better than ever, you better not ignore my face times.
Speaker 3: I won't. I won't if you bring a boom box with it. I want to unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Hey, man, I love you and I loved watching you do your thing last year. You're gonna come back. You're gonna be bigger, stronger, greater. It's all gonna come together. Everything happens for a reason, even your birthday.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it too.
Speaker 1: I love you, Gavin Stone, You're the man. Seriously, Hey, Freddy Freeman's coming on next? What should I ask him? Landon? I wasn't expecting Landon. That doesn't look Hey, I have to hate to break this to you. That doesn't look like Freddy Freeman. I love Landon neck, but uh see that's what I'm telling you. This wall right here, you never know. It's like a socize it pops out.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I people just surprise you all the.
Speaker 1: Hey Guanderado player relations. If I stand next to him, maybe Yamamoto will think I lost weight. Right Hey, Hey, hello, Dodger Fest Unplugged.
Speaker 2: Get out.
Speaker 1: You didn't get all Hey neck, do you know what Gavinstone's birthday is? He just promoted it October fifteenth. He just promoted on February first that his birthdays on October fifteenth. He wants to give me.
Speaker 3: A birthday present exactly.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Tuck. I think three things you learned from this segment. Gavin Stone a great guy. We got a lot of love for each other. His birthday's October fifteenth. He celebrates his half birthday, and he's got a lot of mosquitos in his house in Arkansas. Dodger Tuck rolls on from Dodger Stadium on a five seventy LA Sports David Vassey Live at Dodger Fest. Thanks to my guy, Gavin Stone for being a great spoil. Always loved talking to Gavin and what an ultimate competitor he was for the Dodgers with all their pitching injuries to their veterans last year, it was the rookie that made more starts and pitched more innings than any other Dodger last year, and that was Gavin Stone. And that will be. One of the highlights of twenty twenty four's regular season was Gavin Stone pitching that complete game shutout. And one thing I'll never forget is that Gavin Stone wants me to celebrate his half birthday, and that he's a guy that promotes his birthday on February first, which is going to be on October fifteenth. So a guy that I will never forget. Oh man, I'm so nervous for this. I don't know why I'm so nervous for this. I brought my notes. My guy, Freddie Freeman is here, Freddy, Freddy Man, Oh there he is number five.
Speaker 2: Have you been sitting in this corner all day?
Speaker 1: Yes? I wanted to. I should have brought a lava lamp.
Speaker 2: You know we have some for the kids now. Taking it back to when I was a.
Speaker 1: Kid, right right, Everything retro is current again, Freddy?
Speaker 2: I like it. Yeah, Yeah, I'm retro.
Speaker 1: You're retro. You're retro.
Speaker 2: Thank god, you look good.
Speaker 1: Yamamoto said, I need to lose weight. Do you feel like I've gained a lot of weight this off season?
Speaker 2: Freddy, No, way, he said that he did.
Speaker 1: He did? He said, ah, you know a little bit, a little bit too much?
Speaker 2: Then why would he say that.
Speaker 1: I feel like I have. I'm projecting and I know I have, But I'm not taking any medical or pharmaceutical shortcuts.
Speaker 2: Freddy, No, I am not going to answer those questions about weight. Just not going to do that. I think you look great.
Speaker 1: Did you know Gavin Stone announced to us his birthdays on October fifteenth? He's a guy that likes to promote his birthday. Would you think Gavin Stone was that type of guy?
Speaker 2: No, I know, I didn't know. He talked very much. I know exactly.
Speaker 1: It was depressing when he said there were a lot of mosquitoes in Arkansas. I said, who would have guessed that October fifteenth?
Speaker 2: Huh? Yeah, all right, it's good to know.
Speaker 1: Great segue. By the way, October fifteenth, nineteen eighty eight, was the day Kirk Gibson hit his walk off home run the world.
Speaker 2: Now, I understand why you brought up Gavin Stone's birthday. Well, you're good at this.
Speaker 1: This was lined up perfectly. It was meant to be, like Freddie Freeman was meant to be at the plate that night, in that moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let me to talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm nervous so that's why I brought I felt like Chris Farley here, just like you know, I feel like I'm more emotional about October.
Speaker 2: I didn't October, No, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: But that's when Gibson hit his. Yours was a different date.
Speaker 2: You hit it in the same same area. I heard it was like the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might put like a blue seat where you hit it, like where they did for Kirk Gibson. Cool it would, Yeah, it will live in infamy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've thought about it every day pretty much.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you go to the grocery store, what's it like.
Speaker 2: I really can't go anywhere right now, which is which is fun because you know that sports in general can it just means so much to some two people. And obviously as I'm out in the community and I don't think I've made it through one outing without someone coming up to me, which is really cool that people care so much and care about the Dodgers. And and with that home run, I just did a luncheon and there's a guy that had a tattoo of me on his leg.
Speaker 1: So geez, that's when you know it means something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then obviously a lot of other people were coming up at the luncheon saying how much that home run meant and the world series and telling us where it was. One guy was there for Kurt Gibson's home run. So it's to hear people like like when you do it and you're out there and then you go home and you got to get ready for the next game. But then I've told people like about a month ago, Charlie and I went down a rabbit hole on YouTube because he wanted and with YouTube, right, yeah, and just to see all the reactions and how it affected people in such a positive way. It's it does bring chills to you. And to be able to be a part to that and to deliver because I mean just and how like I watched the video later on and how they panned out over the stadium Joe Davis is talking, and how the whole thing was set up. It it's like giving me kind of goosebumps right now when you when you look back at it and think about it, and to be able to come through in those kind of moments, I mean, that's what you dream about, you know, just like how Joe said, it is what you think about in backyards. I mean it's the same thing that I was doing with my two brothers when we were playing woofot balls in our front yard. Our backyard wasn't pick enough what we did in the front yard, and and and for it to happen again, like but in a big League game thirty years later, when I was playing woofotball with my brothers, it's it's incredible. And like Joe Davis and how he set that whole thing up was you know, obviously I didn't know anything about it until I watched it and I was like, wow, you know, Joe was incredible and to hit it on the head and then after he sets the whole thing up to do it on the first pitch, it was like, I think that made it that, you know, Like, I mean, it would have been awesome if it was like the twelfth pick too, but after he set that up to happen immediately, that's But Yeah, the grocery store things kind of out. Yeah, I don't really try.
Speaker 1: Hey, you're out of going to the grocery store.
Speaker 2: I've been out of a lot of things with the surgery, so but yeah, I believe me, I think I have when I'm out. There's no lesson at least if it's just a like, I'll go to Jan's Health Bar. It's in Orange County and I get a smoothie there. And I don't think I've made it out of Jans without taking pictures or anything like that. And that's oh, Chris, I haven't been there. We did Mastros the other day and one of the chefs comes out and he's got a Dodger hat on. So yeah, I don't think. I don't. I can't go anywhere right now. But that's a good thing because that means really good things happened.
Speaker 1: Freddie, you and your wife also had a little vacation together. Yeah, deservedly so. And I'll just out myself right now. I zoomed in on your right foot, yeah, to see if you had a boot on or sandals I've had.
Speaker 2: I've had some interesting sandals. I didn't pick any of those outfits. I think everyone knows that. Yeah. I just whatever is in the bag and what I'm told to where I wear. Yeah. So we did that a couple of weeks ago. It was it was planned because our ten year anniversary was in November. A little busy, didn't have much time to plan. Uh, so we kind of waited through the holidays and we did Mexico for a ten year anniversary. So we had a good time. Obviously, our family's been through a lot. Max is doing better, so we just needed a we just needed a week, you know, just to relax because you I mean, you know, you're married and so when when you have kids, you're just trying to get You're doing everything with your kids every single day, and it's nice to be able to reconnect and you know, just sit there and hang out with your wife. And you know, we had a great time. It was a great week. We came home and it's right back into we We got home in the door and they just started crying. Someone was hit each other. I was just like, yeah, I'm sure we should have stayed longer, but it was a great time. Where but now it's back to you know, getting ready for the season again.
Speaker 1: How do you feel physically? I mean, obviously we knew about the ankle, but you know, the ribs and all that stuff. Yeah, how does is Freddy Freeman like tape together right now?
Speaker 3: To be here?
Speaker 2: I'm two of the injuries or one hundred percent. My broken fingers all good, my broken ribs all good. I am two months eight weeks as of two days ago Thursday out of surgery, and that was the first day I hit. So I hit for the first time two days ago, I felt good. I hit again yesterday felt good again. Still not clear to run, but yeah, two days ago was a big day for me because if I wasn't able to respond like I did yesterday, I think we would have been in trouble. Being able to be ready by Tokyo. It was a good sign. I feel good today with back to back days of hitting, so I would have been able to hit today if but it was you know, scheduled days off and Monday I work. I did four sets of seven and tes the last two days, so twenty eight swings, and on Monday, I will it goes into flips too. So I think I will be full bore hitting by by the time probably spring training, when I get the spring training, because I'm gonna stay here this whole next week and be doing my PTE down in Orange County for a whole nother week and then I'll get the spring training. So I think hitting wise, I'll be ready to roll. I'll be able to hit, batting practice, do all that. But I start doing I think by the end of next week some side to side stuff, you know, like movement, and then being able to do uh, you know, then I'll be a running progression in spring training. So I will probably not be playing the first couple of games of spring training, as you guys probably know, I'll get antsy and try and force my way into somehow. You know, I'll just DH, you'll have one, so I'll just runner. No, I'll just dh we don't have a DH, so right, and then but the beauty of spring training is I'll be able to even a show he's playing. In the real games, I can go into the backfields and get a bat, so I will be able to I think, be able to hit and see some live abs and then hopefully the running progression. I feel good, you know, that's it's all about how I feel. So but I'm in a good spot going into I was, you know, it was a little up and down. I was a little nervous how I was going to feel a couple of days ago. But ultimately I am feeling pretty good right.
Speaker 1: Now, Freddie, I know you have to go, but I'm just curious. The day of Game one of the World Series, Yes, when you got out of bed that day and put your your right foot down and just start to get yourself going. Did you know, did you feel like, oh, wow, I feel a lot better than I did even five days ago.
Speaker 2: I was feeling pretty good two days going into that. I had still not run since Game five of the NLCS, because then we had the day off and then I didn't play six. Hi Brandon, who are you Joe? So I hadn't run, but I was feeling good walking and and doing all that. But the first time I ran, like I told you guys, I ran when we did the introduction was the first time I took more than a walk and I was running out there. I was like, oh, I actually feel pretty good. And as I was coming down the line, all the trainers like, Freddy, you look great, and I was like, I know, I feel pretty good. And but I was feeling good. My swing was like I said, I have I called my dad, like two days before game one, I said, Dad, I figured it out. And I mean as as my dadd said yeah, he was all and he was like, yeah, I didn't think you figured it out, and he goes. I watched you play in the Mets series and you were awful. So he was like, I was just hoping that you were being honest, and I did. I felt really good. I got my foot in a spot where I could actually have some some strength into that into the ground, and I felt like my swing was in a good spot. So I was feeling good swing wise. I just didn't know how my ankle was gonna hold up. And my ribs were feeling pretty good by then. My finger was feeling pretty good by then. But you just didn't know. And I'm you know, a lot of people go, I can't believe you had to run out a triple in the first in your first step bat and actually said, no, that was actually a good thing because I was able to do that and get up and I was like, oh, I'm okay. So it was almost like a weight was able to come off my shoulders when I knew I was able to run those bases and get up and not be like, oh man, my ankle's killing me. I got a limp now. I never limped once in the World Series. I felt good. We had a great treatment plan going, and that's why I thought after the World Series, it was like, oh, I'll just rest and you know, do some pt and I'll be good to go. But three weeks after the World Series end, I was I'm like, something's not right, you know, like my ankle still hurts. And so I was in Atlanta for Thanksgiving doing it with all our family there, and I texted Thomas, our head trainer. I was like, I think it's time to get this thing looked at. It's just not that I can't get the swelling out. And so when I came home from Atlanta, that's when we got the MRI. And I got the MRI, I go up and look in there like you need surgery? Wait a second, what? And so that's the how that hold because I was feeling great during the World Series. So that's why I was like, oh, I'll just heal bit some time. That's why I know. I've been asked the question of why did you wait so long after the World Series and I was like, whoa, I've just played the World Series and felt pretty good. So I thought, just some rest. And so that was the reason of why it was about four weeks after that I had the surgery, because I was like, I just wasn't getting better. So but luckily we got it done and it wasn't. I had tore some ligaments too and my ankle, but that had healed enough in those weeks after the World Series that I didn't have to thankfully get those fixed, because if I had to repair those, I probably wouldn't have been able to make it to Tokyo, which would have been a more extensive rehab. So a lot of being good actually happened. So we cleaned up the ankle and I'm feeling pretty good and hopefully the running progression like it's going to start next week and I have no setbacks. I think everyone that knows me, I'll probably just tell everyone that I don't have any setbacks and I feel great. Yeah, I feel great, but I'm in a good spot, way better. My ankle's feeling better each day, more work on it every day, and it's it's responding really well. So I feel like I'm in a good spot to be able to make it to Tokyo in six weeks. I can't believe it's already happening.
Speaker 1: I know, I can't believe it even.
Speaker 2: Such a short off season, but a good reason why. It's sweet, right, Definitely, definitely.
Speaker 1: It'll be great, Freddie, when you're on that third baseline and you get your ring and you'll get to feel everything that the fans deserve to give you that day.
Speaker 2: I know, getting here and you know, seeing all these fans and the excitement, I just can't wait to get the ring and just to experience spring training and the excitement. I mean, you saw our ownership group went out and did it again this offseason, and I think that's why fans are so excited, because you know, the hard working fans, they come and support us, spend the money here, and to see the organization that you're support supporting us, spending your money on is going right back into the to the product that is awesome to see. And I think that's why everyone. I mean, obviously we have great players, but to go out there and see the ownership you're into year out, go out and try and put the best team on the field. I think that's why everyone there's such a buzz around here, and I think we're all hungry to try and be the first team in twenty five years to do this back to back, you know, since the Yankees, and it's incredibly hard to do obviously, but I think we've put ourselves in a good spot to be able to go out there and do it, and we got to get us a little bit healthy, and yeah, some of us need this. We needed an extra month, but I think we're gonna be ready to go and try and start this journey again.
Speaker 1: Freddie. It was truly an honor and a privilege to watch your journey last year and the way it ended. Like I told you so many times, I think the game in bigger picture life rewarded you, Freddie, because you're a champion of a person, even before all of that, and I mean everything that you and Chelsea went through and how strong Maximus was and just who you are. I mean, honestly, what a great journey. And man, I feel like I need ankle certainty after everything you just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I appreciate those kind words. And my family's doing good. Maximus is doing well and we'll get the spring training and I'm sure Chelsea will share some pictures and he's he's still not walking completely normal, but he's so close. And if you would have told us five months ago that he would have been where he is now, we would have been ecstatic. And he's doing great. If you walk into the house and you saw him on the couch, you would know nothing is wrong. He's still a joy, he's still fun. He's starting to run more so. Once we get that strength back into his left it's his left leg. Once he gets that strengthened his left leg, he was going to be flying around the bases. You'll see him after on Sunday's basis. Yeah, and so we're looking forward to it. We're looking forward to getting back out in spring training, getting this thing going.
Speaker 5: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Ye, thank you, Freddie.
Speaker 1: Great to see you. Oh man, it's been awesome. Truly your privileged, really Freddy, to be around you and just to see the way you live your life and the way you go about things. It really is awesome.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: World Series MVP.
Speaker 2: I mean cool.
Speaker 1: I mean thirty years from now I'll be hosting. Let's look back at the twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Being a walker.
Speaker 1: I might be in the walk there.
Speaker 2: There, Freddy seventy.
Speaker 1: Hopefully I'll lose weight by that, right, Freddy.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not Freddy David.
Speaker 1: I love you to Freddy. Freddie Freeman the World Series MVP, A champion to the people. And when we continue, Mookie Betts eto one's favorite son from Japan. Well, join us next on a five seventy LA Sports. We are coming down the home stretch here of Dodger Fest. We are alive at Dodger Stadium. Thank you to Freddie Freeman. I kept it together, you know, I didn't freak out or fanboy out too much. Mookie bets with Freddy Freeman. When do you think the line is when I could stop asking him about that walk off grand slam.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna set it at four.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I told four what.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Hey, by the way, the way I knew that was a grand slam out of the ballpark was watching you from my vantage point. Oh yeah, I saw you jump off.
Speaker 5: I remember that.
Speaker 6: I remember that, and that I remember seeing that that moment of his bat hitting the ball and.
Speaker 5: The this what it looked like.
Speaker 6: I just instantly jumped and uh yeah that was that was amazing.
Speaker 1: That was That's what I saw. I saw you jump. I know, see you jump that high before it. And then Magic Johnson was right there and he like pointed at me after after they I'm all like.
Speaker 5: This is yeah.
Speaker 6: That was crazy man. That was for him to do that. I mean, the real the impressive thing was just he what what.
Speaker 5: He was going through together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was what he's going through to get ready, and you could not tell. I mean, I guess you could tell, but you couldn't tell.
Speaker 1: At the same time, that seemed like, probably behind the scenes, kind of set the tone for everybody else, whatever nagging injury you had going on, this guy's going out there with a broken ankle and bad ribs and all that.
Speaker 6: And it was like, no matter what, you just got to get ready to play and get ready to play and give us what you got. And everybody did. I mean even show, you know, show played through hurting his shoulder right there, and that was huge. That was that was for him, just to show up and play every day and prepare like that.
Speaker 5: Like you said, it's just set the example.
Speaker 1: You know. What I also remember was the first conversation you and I I had in spring training last year. How you were on a mission. You had a chip on your shoulder from day one, and and you it came to fulfillment. You silenced all the critics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was that was good man, That was really good.
Speaker 6: I was proud of myself, proud of myself for really kind of locking myself in in uh in the cage and and really getting to it and getting after it and then but you know, it was really my teammates. Man, that my teammates that that was the.
Speaker 5: They're they're the best. They're the best.
Speaker 6: I mean, those guys really rallied behind me. You know, they were in the cage support me. I mean it was it was really like unbelievable stuff that nobody would ever hear or see. You know, those are things that that helped us win. I mean, yeah, but my my teammates are really responsible for you know a.
Speaker 5: Lot of that.
Speaker 1: You got the same guys coming back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the beauty. That's the beauty about it. So I know, I'm good. I know I got my boys. We we're gonna ride it together. That's for damn sure.
Speaker 1: That's what's special. You get to try to run this back with the same group of guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean obviously you know doing it. There have been no back to back so well, I mean, there's been something, but it's been so long, and so for us to have an opportunity to do it, you know, that's something special. Shout out to our front office for giving us the opportunity. Yeah, so it'll be tough. You know, we still got to play good Dodger baseball.
Speaker 1: So you just came back from Japan. Has been on this radio station all last year, and I know you're now the face of a certain extent.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, I'm doing some work with him, but yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Oh, Tani's the supporting cast, you're the main guy.
Speaker 5: No, that's that's a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 6: Everywhere everywhere I walked, everywhere we drove. You know, his signature was there, he had been there, his picture was there.
Speaker 5: So it was really neat. It was really neat.
Speaker 6: It was really neat to see how how much a country supports a player.
Speaker 1: Did you realize how big he was there? I mean we hear about it, but you got to see it firsthand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you don't really, You don't really. You can.
Speaker 6: You can picture it all you want, but do you really see it to really see how how much he, uh, he affects that country?
Speaker 5: It's wild.
Speaker 1: Hey, Mookie Betts. He dips his toe on Ventura Boulevard once in a while. I heard you were in the Grade one eight this offseason taking ground balls and shortstop, putting in a lot of work.
Speaker 6: I mean I've been. I've been working, man, I've been working, and so we'll see. You know, I'm a big I'm a big, big person that thinks about you got to do it in the game. You can do it in practice all day, but if you don't do it in the game, then none of it really matters.
Speaker 1: How does it feel? I mean, it's got to be somewhat of a relief to prepare instead of yeah, for a full off season, instead of five days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was, man, I was. I never.
Speaker 6: I've never I've never started training this early in my life.
Speaker 1: And wow, so after a long season, after a.
Speaker 5: Long season, like.
Speaker 6: The work I put in this off season, nobody would even fathom it. And so I really feel like I'm a new person there. So, like I said, we'll see.
Speaker 1: All right, before I let you go in, you got your little boy with you on your lab. Mookie's doing double duty daddy daycare today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's tough, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: He comes here and I want him to see what daddy does and maybe he'll want to do it one day.
Speaker 1: He's so cute too, thank god, he looks like his mom. All right, Hey, mooki I've been driving around the Valley the last couple of days since I heard Adam Silver talk about floating out that, you know, people think you're coming to Dodger Fest and you want to talk to Mookie Bets about baseball, not me. I have been booming at the mouth waiting to talk to you about this, Adam Silver floating out that maybe the NBA is thinking about shortening quarters from twelve minutes to ten minutes like the euro and National because of low attention span and just trying. The ratings are down a little bit in the NBA. I don't. I'm just completely against doing that. I wanted to hear what Mookie Be's thought about.
Speaker 5: I feel like you would you would change change the game.
Speaker 6: Change that would change the integrity of the game, because I feel like there's like a pace and the timing that that you develop playing basketball, just like you developed playing anything else.
Speaker 1: But you know, even though there's a pitch clock in baseball, there's still twenty seven outs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's still twenty seven outs. I mean there's change.
Speaker 6: There's change that that people may not like that end up being a really good thing.
Speaker 5: So you know, you just got to be open minded to it. I'm not saying I.
Speaker 6: Agree or disagree, but you simmer on that, Yeah, I would have to think about that, because you know, there that's some changes has been.
Speaker 5: Really good, like the pitch clock. I know, I don't want.
Speaker 6: People to get hurt by any means, but you know, just for from a player position player perspective, it.
Speaker 5: Really does speed the game up. You know.
Speaker 1: So my tweaks for the NBA enlarge the court, which brings the three point line back, and maybe it's a little bit more challenging for bigger, more athletic players.
Speaker 6: So now you're just trying to Now we're just trying to create a game. That's how good is that? Like, that's how good Wemby is. We're trying to create a game to slow him down. I mean, come on now.
Speaker 5: I just like can't do that.
Speaker 1: The players in the seventies and eighties weren't as big and fast as what they.
Speaker 5: Are now, right right, I mean, simmer.
Speaker 1: On that one too. We'll we'll regroup. Maybe you have it on their next podcast. You have like an NBA guy you were on all the Smoke. I enjoyed that.
Speaker 5: That was that was that was super cool. That was super cool.
Speaker 6: Here and two real basketball minds, So I'll be curious to ask them.
Speaker 1: Two basketball minds bowing at the altar of a great baseball player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess I wouldn't call it, but I did. Yeah, but it was fun. It was fun. Those guys are awesome.
Speaker 1: I love it all right. So when I see you in Arizona, when you're making that long dry through the desert, you'll be hearing my voice in your head saying, no way, no way to a forty minute game. Expand the court.
Speaker 5: I'll make it of a of a car and let you know what I come up with.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good, sir. We love you, Mooki. LA really putting their arms around you, Mooki, and I think it's always sweet when a great athlete people don't appreciate it. They always want more. They want more, and you delivered, and I know there's more.
Speaker 5: Thank you, sir, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 1: He's a great player and a great dad man, Mookie putting me the shame. I can't be this good at fatherhood either. When we continue from Dodger Stadium, the Great Show, Hey O Tani will join us as well, and we'll wrap things up from Dodger Stadium. It's been a great day out here, and it's gonna be a great season. On five seventy LA Sports, your home of Mookie and the world champion. Los Angeles Dodgers FanFest is official as we are live at Dodgers Stadium, and I'm joined right now by a man that just one is third MVP Award and his shoe right now is hotter than any Air Jordan or Kobe shoe out there already. I went to go look for the Otani trainer lab. The only size available left SiZ sixteen. I'm ten and a half and the great show Hey Otani joins us right now live on Dodgers Radio show. Hey, thank you so much for the time. Will Ireton, thank you for being here as well. So the shoe sold out already, show, Hey, you did a great job of marketing. Everybody bought it. How much did you influence the way the shoe looks on design?
Speaker 7: I'm on commit it, Hi on.
Speaker 4: My I did get involved in the deesig. I know the shoes and really happy that so many people are buying it.
Speaker 1: When you look at the way Los Angeles has embraced you. Show, Hey, do you feel like after the season you had last year and the parade. You know how much the fans truly appreciate the way you play.
Speaker 4: Fund me and also I started that.
Speaker 8: My Famda Madad.
Speaker 2: Come back.
Speaker 4: You know, I really had the chance to be able to play in front of the fans, so I really got to feel the passion. And today just at the stage too, So it's really nice to be able to interact with the fans and kind of feel their passion, and you know to for twenty twenty five season. You know, we're literally just about to start, so we have a lot of work to do, but again, really excited to be you know, part of the Dodgers and play in front of these fans.
Speaker 1: And the Dodgers are going to start the season at the Tokyo Dome, a place you're very familiar with. How excited are you about that opportunity to wear a Dodger uniform and play in Tokyo?
Speaker 9: Excited to shamasca A well cut it.
Speaker 8: You don't need.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't really get an opportunity like this to play in front of the fans. Uh with two teams of Dodgers in the cubs and obviously Imaga is there as well, and you know other Japanese play ayers too, So really excited to be able to you know, play and hopefully we win a couple of games and make sure that the fans come out of that thinking dodge of blue show.
Speaker 1: Hey was around me for a year, so he knows I'm very awkward and really uh socially, uh sometimes clumsy. Do you have any tips for me to handle myself in Tokyo, Japan? So I don't embarrass your name, my name or the Dodger's.
Speaker 7: Name says to you nothing in particular, but I think one good thing to do is to just remember a few Japanese phrases and they would very much love that.
Speaker 1: Can you give me one?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Right now? How about right now? How about let's start with this show? Hey, bathroom bathroom? Yeah, where's the bathroom?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 1: All right, I could do that, like like, okay, all right, good to know if I wear a show hey jersey and new balanced shoes, do you think they might confuse us uniform?
Speaker 4: I'm sure they'll be excited to see you.
Speaker 1: So, Hey, before I let you go, one more baseball question. I've told people I am anticipating the night that you pitch for the first time at Dodgers Stadium. I don't believe it's going to be just another baseball game. It will be a bigger event than what we've seen. Have you visualized that moment being on the mound at Dodger Stadium, as wearing this uniform.
Speaker 4: Mounting to I'm not getting so you made it, you know, White Musca definitely imagine myself pitching on the mound. Now. I'm not exactly sure what when that's gonna happen, but I'm going to do the best I can to make it as early as possible.
Speaker 1: Since we know each other a little bit better now, if you need me, I'm almost the same height as Manny Machado. If you need me to stand in for a bullpen just to help you get ready, let me know.
Speaker 2: Okay, right there for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you man.
Speaker 1: So great to see, love seeing the smile. The m vps are great. But now we can say World Champion show. Hey O Tani and Roki Sazaki, you helped bring him here. I heard you text Andrew Friedman we got him, So maybe you Yamamoto Nobu made the deal happen with it?
Speaker 7: Hi, mam Mont call you.
Speaker 4: Know I played with him as a player for the WBC team Japan. So I got to really know him as a as a player and as a friend and just first and foremost, I'm really you know, what I wanted to really tell him was that, you know, regardless of the teams that he that he ends up choosing, I wanted him to be successful. And of course I wanted him to be a Dodger, but first and foremost as a person as a player, just really rooting for him to be successful.
Speaker 1: Man, that was the right pitch. You didn't seem too needy, you know, you just like, yeah, do what you want. Yeah, you know, it's okay. You play a suave like Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Right there.
Speaker 4: It's about us, you, messa.
Speaker 8: He went to student.
Speaker 9: We do all day, he suppled.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yo, Shinoba and I are here. So I'm really, you know, excited that I'll be able to support him in this transition.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for the season to start. I can't wait to be in Tokyo with you. You're an expecting proud father. If you need any fatherhood tips, I can help. I have two young children. My wife does all the work, but I could, uh, you know, help you out if you need stand in for bullpen session and father advice, I could be a mentor.
Speaker 8: My company.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe maybe spring training.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you send in and I'm gonna hit you, thanks so awesome to be with you, and I'll have these by spring training. All right, Great, I'll be wearing turf shoes.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: There, he is the great show Heyo Tani, world champion and a champion of the people. Thank you show Hey, show Heyo Tani. That's a great way to end Dodger Fest. Right there. He said he would nail me. I mean he was gonna hit me if I stood in and helped him recover from his shoulder and Tommy John, I mean, man, how about that? That would just melt down social media. If I stood in for show Heo Tani bullpen session, I mean, I think the whole camp would circle around behind home plate and cheer if he did hit me in the ribs. I mean I think he would anyway. That was amazing and honestly, that's the most open show Hey has ever been in interviews with me. I mean, that's the vibe out here at Dodger Fest. Everybody's happy, relaxed. How could you not be your World Champions and ring day here. I'm the home opener. Once the Dodgers returned from Tokyo, Japan is going to be spectacular. I want to say thank you to the Dodgers, Lon Rosen, Juan Dorado, player relations, Joe Jerk, Ali Salvach, who was very nervous during that entire Otani interview. Everybody thought I was offending the guy by talking to him like a human being. Hey, but Gavin Stone appreciate it. Thank you for announcing and promoting your birthday on October fifteenth. We will all send you a tweet or maybe some donuts on your birthday. You know that's high class living right there for Gavin Stone. Thank you to Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts. Thank you to Michael Confordo. Thank you to Dave Roberts. I'm missing some guys, but in case you missed any of the show or any of the interviews, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And our next Dodger talk show is going to be on Monday night at seven o'clock. You will hear from Tommy Edman, Alex Vesia, and Austin Barnes on Monday Night for our Dodger talk. Want to say thank you to the crew out here from iHeart Bert Weiner who went all three hours of the show not asking for a Dodger dog. So that's a big victory. Bert. I will let Petros and Money know about this. Thank you to Doug Hall aka Skinny Rob Kardashian for being out here as well. Thank you to Johnny FACTORO as well for all his help. Solid Warris World series hat Joe Jeric wearing his Nike Windbreaker. Thank you to everybody for listening. It's been a fabulous Saturday. Can't wait to recap on Monday night. We will talk to you next week. Until then, have a great weekend. Be safe see