Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C. Nelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to You Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge and a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet our lovely guests and hear all about what worthwhile causes they are playing for, and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today, our General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge Thinking, caps on, Lovebirds, pencils at the ready, and away we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge Round. Here is question number one in what US city would you find Love Park, Independence Hall and the Rocky Statue. We're going to ease right into this For question number one in what US city would you find Love Park, Independence Hall and the Rocky Statue? How do we feel after one question? Great, great, excellent, Jackie, how are you feeling welcome back by the way.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling Thank you very much, I'm feeling good, I'm feeling revived, and I think I know that first question, So wooh.
Speaker 2: We could be three for three in round one. All right, moving right along to question number two. Here we go. What actress writer producer created Awkward Black Girl and co created and starred in the HBO series Insecure? Question number two? What actress writer producer Awkward Black Girl and co created and starred in the HBO series Insecure? For question numerobos, are you ready for question number three?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: God, you guys are into it already. I love it. Serious game faces on. You can't see them at home.
Speaker 1: Well, it's because I have to. I have to go looking around inside my brain for answers. It takes me extra concentration.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh kiss, oh kiss? All right? Question number three, Saragay Brinn and Larry Page co founded what Huge Tech Company? Back in nineteen ninety eight. Sarah Gay Brinn and Larry Page. You've heard their names in the news for over twenty years now. Co founded what huge Tech Company? Back in nineteen ninety eight. For question number three, I will say it's not the Teddy Ruckspin as a hint, it's not the Teddy rucksmin company.
Speaker 4: Is that a company?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm sure it's like Mattel or one of the toy companies did that. But that that was a weird.
Speaker 4: He's just a teddy bear, right, Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 2: Teddy bear with a tape deck in his chester something or in his back.
Speaker 5: That you could play Metallica on.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 2: You could put Yeah, you could put me.
Speaker 4: Playing death metal in the commercial.
Speaker 2: All right, getting back to it, all right, here we go question number four of eight in the general Knowledge round? Can you name either of iin Rand's best selling novels, those huge ass books. I read one of them, and I think I'm good, But can you name either of those two huge iron Rand books? For number four?
Speaker 5: Thick Burn?
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that an nice first name too. By the way, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: I got through one.
Speaker 1: I regret to inform you I got through two Jonathan Franzon books.
Speaker 5: Whoops.
Speaker 2: I like him much better than I had to do the audio version of one of her books, cause I was just like this, I need to put it on like double speed to get through it, or it's going to take me six years to read one of her books.
Speaker 5: Double speed. It's about where it's at with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's not the worst author, not at all. But all right, here we go. Question number five h Pinocchio, Nightmare, Ali, and The Shape of Water are all the last three films directed by who? Who directed those films? For question number five, Pinocchio, Nightmare, Alley and The Shape of Water are the last three films directed by who or whom? For number five?
Speaker 5: That all right?
Speaker 2: Number six is kind of not current events, but not too long ago events. See if you how our short term memory is. For question number six, can you name the company or the name of the submersible that imploded last year during an expedition to view the wreck of the Titanic. It's in the news for many, many weeks, But can you name the company or can you name the name of the submersible itself that imploded last year during an expedition to view the wreck of the Titanic. That is definitely one of those things that I don't need to ever do. That's okay, it's.
Speaker 4: One of the worst stories I've ever heard in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, just hardcore.
Speaker 3: James Cameron did it. You know, he gave us Titanic, so that we don't have to do it.
Speaker 1: I know in fact, he built his own He built his own submersible and did a better job.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like, go, that's cool. Like send us the footage you have cameras on it? Awesome?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number seven maybe my favorite question of the bunch. What animated lead singer of the Holograms was truly, truly, truly outrageous? Question number seven? What animated lead singer of the Holograms was truly truly truly outrageous? For number seven, how do we feel about that question? Good? Yeah, thumbs up, thumbs down.
Speaker 4: I can tell you right now, I don't know it.
Speaker 3: I was just say, like, for that to be your favorite question, I feel like you're pranking us.
Speaker 5: I liked that question a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought one of you would be like, oh shit, that's my.
Speaker 3: Jam Christian, you and I are seeing not both.
Speaker 2: I found out that it's not both of you that enjoy that question. But maybe through osmosis and being together for so long, you might know that might be a hint in itself that you.
Speaker 5: Bet it's in there somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Question number eight, interesting question. We're going to the world of sports. What NBA team has won the second most titles, but is number one in most losses in the finals. So same NBA team, just one NBA team. They're second in winning the NBA Championship, but they are number one and the biggest losers in the NBA finals. Ain't that team for number eight? All right, pencils down. We will go over your answers in a few quick moments, but it's time to meet. Are terrific guests all the way from San Francisco, California. She's part of the incredible podcast that we're going to talk all about called Valley Heat. I think it's one of the greatest things of all time. She's in a short film, rare medium, that's we're doing the festival circuit right now. She's got another film, Boo Hag or Shadowman that's streaming right now on that YouTube channel for shorts called Kiss Kiss, Keep It Short. My friend Emily Maya Mills is here today.
Speaker 5: Hello, Well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: It's so good to have you on the show. You can follow Emily on social media at Emily Maya Mills. Emily, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 1: Surfers Against Sewage fs.
Speaker 2: Why did you pick it? Is there a connection?
Speaker 1: Well, when I think about what's most important, it's pretty much just trying to keep the oceans from boiling. And secondly, my dad's a lifelong surfer, so you know, nice combo hit there.
Speaker 5: Got to back up the surfers. They're my dudes and gals, win or lose.
Speaker 2: We're happy to make a donation in your name to surfers against sewage. If you have some extra packet change, look them up on the intranets and give them some of your money. And now your opponent, your hubby from a couple places. He's he's he's that cool. He's from care Free, Arizona and also Redfield, Maine. Again. He is the creator and proprietor of Valley Heat, the podcast and the Dress Up Gang, which you can get on TBS on demand. My new friend Christian do Gay is here today. Are you great? You can follow what's that?
Speaker 4: It's red Field In case someone in Readfield's listening with Redfield.
Speaker 2: I was thinking that could be r e Ed. But again, wherever you're from in this country, Butcher a name that's spelled like that, Redfield, Maine. Everybody, my apologies. I'll buy everyone around when I get there again. He's done Valley Heat, the podcast and the Dress Up Gang TBS on demand. You can follow him on social media at Valley Heat podcast on Instagram or cs do Gay on Instagram. Christian, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 6: I am playing for Oceania the or That's where you could go if you want to support them. They are an organization that is working to clean up the oceans. They're one of those organizations that are watching what's happening, documenting it and doing I think most of what they do is.
Speaker 4: Litigate and a lobby.
Speaker 6: For internationally for policies that would clean up the oceans.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. That's a beautiful thing we're having.
Speaker 7: And if you go, if you go to Valley if you go to Valleyheat dot thread list dot com and you buy a Cephalopods or People T shirt, the profits for that go one hundred percent to Oceania.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do that right after.
Speaker 3: This sounds like a great gift for my husband because your podcast is his favorite podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh that's awesome. Almost aid things.
Speaker 2: And this podcast, you should know better, is not just a trivia podcast. It's a Jan Robinson trivia podcast. That's a little Insider Baseball. That's a little Joe Oh, that's a tip of the cap. Per Se to Valley Eat. Jan Robinson is all over that with every jingle. It's the greatest thing of all time. We're happy to make a donation in your name to Oceania. So you know our wonderful guests, you know what great charities they're playing for. But it's time to get back to the game.
Speaker 5: Go over.
Speaker 2: Our answers were very interesting. Brown number one, I think you guys did well in this round. Let's find out. Question number one is what in what US city would you find? Love Park, Independence Hall in the Rocky Statue. Emily, start us off, Philly, Philly, Christian. What did you put Philadelphia? Philly and Philadelphia the city of brotherly love. It is Philadelphia. One for one after one, we got a tie ball game. This is what we're talking about. Question number two what actress, writer, producer created Awkward Black Girl and co created and starred in the HBO series Insecure.
Speaker 4: Christian I but only I think her first name is Lisa.
Speaker 2: Lisa. Emily, what did you put a ray?
Speaker 4: It's a ray? Look look let me show you. I've put Ray in parentheses.
Speaker 2: Sure, you're getting the point. You're getting the point. It is Isa Isa Ray, the wonderful person. For number two, it is Ray two. For two, we're rolling. Question number three, Sergey Brinn and Larry Page co founded what huge tech company back in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 1: Emily, I'm a little off the rails here, but I'm going to take a swing at Google.
Speaker 2: Google. Question mark going UPHI at the end, Christian, do you agree? Did you go your own way?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Google, Google and Google. The correct answer is Google. Did you guys see my Did you guys see my answers before? That's my questions before this game. It is Google for question number three. Question number four, can you name either of Iron Rand's best selling novels? Christian Atlas shrug? Atlas did shrug? Emily, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Found? And Atlish? I can get to media.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you nerds, you actually read. We got a couple of readers on the show. It is you nailed them. You nailed them both. It is The fountain Head and at.
Speaker 4: For the record, I wrote both of them down.
Speaker 2: God, guys, nerds, I love it. We have a couple of nerds because every once in a while we have like Jeopardy champs on the show and they're incredible. But you guys are you guys are strutting your stuff thus.
Speaker 1: Far, I feel like we've just been on the planet a long time.
Speaker 2: Question number five, I think you nailed this one too, Pinocchio, Nightmare, Alley in the Shape of Water, the last three films directed by who Emily.
Speaker 1: Del Toro, mister Duguey.
Speaker 4: No, I did not get it.
Speaker 2: I wrote coroneons quarn got my I got my uh, Spanish names mixed up? Your Spanish directors mixed up. It is Guillermo del Toro for number five, our first change in score. Oh my god, I can't do this anymore. Can he make up this one point difference for the rest of the game? Question number six? Can you name the company or the name of the submersible that imploded last year during an expedition to view the wreck of the Titanic Christian?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's a tough question. It's a tough Emily. Did you come up with something?
Speaker 1: I came up with something, but I believe that it is incorrect. I'm gonna go with Titan Titan XIV. I just added the XIV for flair.
Speaker 2: Yep, the name of the company was ocean Gate.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, I knew it was something ironic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you almost sound like that's like a controversy, ocean Gate, like water Gate, but it was ocean Gate of all things. And the name of the submersible was the Titan Submersible. Oh my god, that answer deserves a huzza. That's six for six day. Emily Maya Mills is trying to set a record here on our show. Question number seven, what animated lead singer of the Holograms was truly truly, truly outrageous?
Speaker 5: Emily, Emma's my name. No one else is the same.
Speaker 2: Jen's my name, jem j E. M As your guest Christian, did you come up with anything but nothing?
Speaker 4: I don't know who the Holograms are?
Speaker 6: I was like, is it the is he talking about?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 4: Who was a Hologram? Like a few years ago.
Speaker 5: I got you that.
Speaker 2: It was kind of a yeah question that could get you thinking down a different path.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: This was an animated TV cartoon around the same time as like G I. Joe and Transformers and stuff like that and ThunderCats. It was Gem and the Holograms. Yeah, it was like a chick rock band, like a chick punk rock band from the eighties. And that wasn't TV. That was a cartoon we watched growing up.
Speaker 4: It was like Josie the Pussycats, but like different.
Speaker 2: Eighties Josie and the Pussycats, for sure.
Speaker 1: They had like, uh, glittery star I make up, you know, like hardcore, real fun I mean BOI ask, I'd say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very yeah, very glam, a lot of day glow colors, huge hair like it was great gem and the holograms look it up. You'd be like that was a cartoon. It was all right. A question number eight, our sports question. What NBA team has won the second most titles and has lost the most serious finals in the NBA in the history of the NBA. Christian, what did you put? I took a guest San Antonio Spurs, the Spurs, Emily.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I have two here, but I'm gonna have to I can. I'm gonna go with Miami Heat.
Speaker 5: I love that for you, Thank you, my god.
Speaker 2: What a what a dig at, Jackie. Jackie's a huge Miami Heat fan.
Speaker 3: Well for her to think there were the second most winning.
Speaker 2: But the biggest losers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not us.
Speaker 1: I almost said the Hazers the time to squeeze in Hazers and heat into one answer, but that's true.
Speaker 2: One year they did combine. That's not true. The correct answer is the La Lakers. The Lakers are Lakers. Oh yeah, the Celtics that have won the most. But the Lakers have like lost fifteen or so. Serious, So no harm, no foul. You both missed it. It's fine, Jackie. Give us the scoreboard update after an impressive by both parties. General Knowledge Round.
Speaker 3: A very impressive round, and let me say, who runs the world. It's girls. Emily's in the lead with seven points, but Christian you're not far behind with four.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, seven to four after one. Those are both excellent scores. Usually the General Knowledge round is the tougher of the rounds. Here we go, it's seven to four as we enter round two of four our pop culture grab Bag.
Speaker 5: Round two pop Culture grab Bag.
Speaker 2: Today in the grab Bag we're doing a movie round. More specifically, these are movie titles that are just names of app person or a character. It's just a two word title here, I think, yeah, two word titles. There are just names for movie titles. I'm going to give you the year the film came out and a brief synopsis. Just give me that title. Let's ease into this one question number one of eight. From nineteen ninety, Tim Burton directed this film about the solitary life of an artificial man who was incompletely constructed and is upended when he is taken in by a suburban family. Named that film for question one, All right, Question number two, this is a little more recent as a decade old from twenty fourteen. Is the year this film came out. When a former hit man grieving the loss of his true love has his home broken into, he gets robbed and his dog killed. He returns to action to exact revenge. Name that film for question number two. A Ken came out a decade ago when a former hit man grieving the loss of his true love has his home broken into, He's robbed and his dog killed. He returns to action to exact revenge. My god, I'm seeing smiles and sparkles in their eyes. I'm moving on to question number three. Were going a little bit in the way back machine From nineteen seventy seven. Alvi Singer, a divorced Jewish comedian, reflects on his relationship with his ex lover, an aspiring nightclub singer, which ended abruptly, just like his previous marriages. Again the question number three This movie came out nineteen seventy seven. Alvi Singer, a divorced Jewish comedian, reflects on his relationship with his ex lover, an aspiring nightclub singer, which ended abruptly, just like his previous marriages. How do we feel after three three?
Speaker 4: It's a great one and I can't think of it.
Speaker 2: I think that one's going to pop into your head because every game someone has like a I know what, I kind of know about it, and it'll it'll pop in your head by the time we get to the answers, I know you're gonna.
Speaker 4: Be like, got it?
Speaker 2: Question number four. This came out in two thousand and four. I can't believe this is twenty years old. Two thousand and four was the year a listless and alienated teenager helps his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school while dealing with his bizarre family life back home again. Question number four. This came out in two thousand for a listless, an alienated teenager helps his new friend win the class presidency in their small western high school. I think it's in Idaho. It takes place while dealing with his bizarre family life back home, all right. Number five I think might be kind of a toughie of the bunch. This came out nineteen ninety five, nineteen ninety five. In this flick, based on a Stephen King novel, a big city reporter travels to a small town where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman for whom she worked as a housekeeper. Again for question number five. This came out nineteen ninety five, and this flick based on a Stephen King novel, a big city reporter travels to a small town where her mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman for whom she worked as a housekeeper. Can you name that movie title? That are just names?
Speaker 3: I just took a peek because I was like, I wonder if I've.
Speaker 5: Heard of this?
Speaker 3: Never, never seen that, never in my life.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of Stephen King freaks out there, though, so they'll be like, ah, that's easy. But I think if you're not a Stephen King officionados it's a deeper cut for sure. All right, if that one was tough, I think we're back on I'm the trolley with question number six. This is from two thousand. A flamboyant law firm secretary works tirelessly to gain justice for a small town wrecked by a utility company's pollution. Name that great film for question number six. It came out in two thousand. A flamboyant law firm secretary works tirelessly to gain justice for a small town wrecked by a utility company's pollution. Are you guys huge movie buffs?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, probably maybe.
Speaker 2: I'm glad. I'm glad I did this.
Speaker 5: Then not in a competition much?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Question number seven your penultimate question in the pop culture grab Bag. Today we're talking about movie titles that are just names. This film for number seven came out in nineteen ninety one. John Turturo plays a renowned New York playwright that is enticed to California to write for the movies and discovers the hellish truth of Hollywood in this Cohen Brothers film.
Speaker 1: This is really a battle between Christian and I really, because we should know all of them.
Speaker 2: Again, this isn't one that's bandied about as much as others. Question number seven again from ninety one, John Toturo plays a renowned New York playwright that is enticed to California to write for the movies and discovers the hellish truth of Hollywood and this Coen Brothers flick I would say it's an earlier Coen Brothers film. All Right, and finally, Question number eight of eight came out in nineteen ninety seven. A flight attendant with a criminal past played by Pam Greer gets nabbed by the ATF for smuggling under pressure to become an informant against the illegal arms dealer she works for. She must find a way to secure her future without getting killed. Name that film for number eight again came out in ninety seven. A flight attendant with a criminal past played by Pam Grier gets nabbed by the ATV for smuggling under pressure to become an informant against the illegal arms dealer she works for. She must find a way to secure her future without getting killed. All right, pancils down, Let's go over our answers in the grab bag movie titles that are just names. Question number one of eight came out in nineteen ninety. This is the Tim Burton directed this film about the solitary life of an artificial man, man who was incompletely constructed and has upended when he is taken in by a suburban family. Christian, what did you put for number one? Edward Scissor Edward Scissor hands, Emily, what did you put.
Speaker 5: Edward sheer hands. I'm kidding Edward Scisster hands is but I.
Speaker 2: Think there was like an Edward Penis hands. That was the porno like equivalent that someone did. I think look it up. Not with the kids in the room.
Speaker 5: To be won had to be done.
Speaker 2: Edward Penis hands. They had to do it. But yeah, we are talking about Johnny Depp Edward Scissor hands for number one. Question number two was from twenty fourteen. When a former hit man grieving the loss of his true love and his dog gets killed, he just kicks some ass. Emily, what did you put john Wick? John Wick? Christian? What did you put?
Speaker 4: John Wick?
Speaker 2: John Wick? And John Wick? It is the great john Wick two for two? Question number three was from nineteen seventy seven. Alvis Singer, a divorced Jewish comedian, reflects on his relationship with his ex lover, an aspiring nightclub singer, which ended abruptly, just like his previous marriages. Christian, did it come to you?
Speaker 4: I did not remember? It was going to kill me because I remember the main character's name, Emily.
Speaker 2: Can you help him out? Annie Hall, Annie Hall, Lottie do.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, good question, well framed, right, It was a well fame.
Speaker 4: Very well framed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Diane Keaton and Woody Allen and Annie Hall for number three.
Speaker 4: I never realized he was reflecting on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is like I think he's like, check the one, check the one talking about stuff. Question number four, two thousand and four. Listless and alienated teenager helps his new friend Pedro when the class presidency Emily, Napoleon Dynamite. Come on, Napoleon, Christian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I did not. I didn't. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: It didn't come to you. It is Napoleon Dynamite, Jared Hess's first big jaunt with John Hayder. Yeah, Napoleon Dynamite is twenty years old. The good Lord, all right? Question number five ninety five. This is the Stephen King novel one about the reporter that travels back to a small town where mother has been arrested for the murder of an elderly woman. Christian. What did you put for number five? Laura's Claiborne Delores Claiborn, Emily what did you put?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't carry sharper objects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kujo it the stand pat Cemetery. It was, in fact, Dolores Claiborn. Big get for Christian.
Speaker 4: Really good movie too cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like Jennifer Jason Lee and who is in misery? Misery Kathy Bates Baits, Yeah, Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Lee. I think. Yeah, it's really good, very moody.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny about that is that I think I've seen people do scenes from that in thousands of acting classes, and I don't think I've ever seen the movie.
Speaker 5: I should watch it.
Speaker 2: Let's watch it seems great. Question Number six was from two thousand. A flamboyant law firm's secretary works tyl the fleet to gain justice for a small town wrecked by a utility company's pollution. Emily Aaron Brockovich, Aaron Brockovich, Christians Aaron Brockovich, Aaron Rokovich. There it is Albert Finney and uh, what's her name?
Speaker 1: Julia, Julia Robert Julia.
Speaker 2: I just had like an aneurysm. It is Julia Roberts Albom.
Speaker 3: I thought you were joking.
Speaker 2: No, it's one of those things we've talked about this on the show where like you get to a certain age and I could talk about her for a month. Yeah, and I just can't your name as out of my brain for a second, Like.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm terrible. I'm really terrible with names.
Speaker 5: I could be talking about my brother in slip per second. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You all you kids out there, that's what you have to look forward to. As you age, you'll forget this.
Speaker 5: I've always been like this.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just had it from the jump question number seven I thought would be you know, fairly tough one. Nineteen ninety one. John Turturro plays for Now in New York. Play right that goes to California and learns that Hollywood is horrible. In this Cohen Brothers movie, Christian Pard and think Fink, Emily, what did you put?
Speaker 6: Art?
Speaker 1: And Fink We actually own it and watch it frequently.
Speaker 2: It's a great film. It's a deeper cup, but it's a great film. Barton Fink is correct. For number seven and finally, question number eight, nineteen ninety seven, Flight Attendant Pam Greer smuggling. She's got to try not to get killed. Emily, what movie are we talking about? Maggy Brown, Jackie Brown, Christian Yes, Jackie Brown, God damn you guys did well again?
Speaker 4: It was no wait I did. I wrote Foxy Brown.
Speaker 5: Wrong.
Speaker 2: That deserves a sploosh.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your honesty.
Speaker 2: You get a point. I'm gonna give you a point for being honest, an honesty point, an honesty points.
Speaker 4: This is a sequel.
Speaker 2: This is her daughter, last name will Suffie Brown, Foxy Jack, Pam Grier. I'll give it to you. You were being so honest. You get a point for being honest. Um, Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie. What I think? Our score is going to be pretty epic? Here? Where are we at halftime? Halftime?
Speaker 3: We're coming in with another tight score, tight like a tiger. Emily has fourteen, Christian has ten.
Speaker 2: Oh my shit, fourteen to ten at halftime. It is fourteen to ten at halftime. As we enter our third of four rounds today, it is the dreaded or the Infamous Lightning Rome. Round three, the Lightning Round today. You could choose from these three headings that have nothing to do with the question nor the answers. They are three of my favorite breakfast items that I order all the time. Oh mat, a greasy spoon or whatnot. You could choose either a Denver omelet, biscuits and gravy, or chilichiles. Name your poison for your lightning round question. Biscuits and gravy. This gets in gravy. All right, here we go. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to say as many answers as possible. Emily jot some answers down because I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Christian's twenty seconds are up, Christian dugue, here is your biscuits and gravy lightning round question. What I want to know from you is what are the nine most populous cities in the Great State of Tejas, Texas? What are the nine most populous cities Austin, State of Texas? Twenty seconds on the clock, Hold your horses, you son of a gun, twenty seconds, twenty seconds on the clock, and a goo.
Speaker 6: Uh Houston, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio.
Speaker 4: You say eight, did the Galveston? Uh?
Speaker 6: What's another place in uh? I said, Houston, Houston, Austin, Dallas.
Speaker 2: Stop stop, stop, stop stop. I'm gonna give you that one just under the wire. Corpus Christy. That's alliteration. Folks. You got five, you got the top four. You got Houston number one, San Antonio number two, Dallas number three, Austin number four, and Corpus Christi number eight. Your chance to steal some because there's still a few on the board here again, what are the nine most popular cities in Texas? Emily your five second rebuttal and.
Speaker 5: Go oh shoot, I only have one? Fort Worth.
Speaker 2: And stop stop you stole it. You stole fort Worth. That was number five. And the list, you guys crush, you got six out of the nine. Let's go over the ones. We didn't get to number six. We gotta go west to El Paso, El Passo number six, and then right there by Dallas fort Worth, you have Arlington. That my triple trouble right there with that one. And then number nine is a tough one. But Plano, Plano, Texas is number nine on the list. I thought that was surprising. But you did great in the biscuits and gravy lightning around. Now it's your turn in the barrel, Emily. You could choose either a Denver omelet or chilikiles. What do you get chilichiles? Here we go again. I'm gonna say the question twice. Say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds. Say as much as possible. Christian jots some answers down because I'm coming to you with your rebuttal straight away. Here we go. Here's your chili kiles lightning around. Question? What US universities have produced the most Nobel Prize winners? Again? What US universities or colleges have produced the most Nobel Prize winners? Twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 1: Mit Stanford, Yale, Princeton, Harvard. I'm gonna go with Texas A and m R.
Speaker 5: Who else does science? Ah? Who else does nor tre Damp Boston University? What else is in Boston?
Speaker 2: Stop? Stop? Stop, you crushed. You did great. You got one, two, three, four, five out of the nine. You got number one. Harvard is number one, number five, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology MIT number six, Stanford number seven, Princeton, and number nine Yale. You rocked it, Christian, your chance to steal some there's still a few on the board here again the US universities that have produced the most Nobel Prize winners. Five seconds only and.
Speaker 4: Go Bendington, USC, UNC, Chapel Hill.
Speaker 5: Keep going.
Speaker 2: You got time, great guesses, great guesses, but you didn't steal any on this one. Let's go over the ones. We didn't get to number two. Surprising to me, but you think about US history and whatnot. The University of Chicago, the University of Chicago is number two on the list, and then you have Columbia number three, number four cal Berkeley, and number eight cal Tech, So California. Besides, Stanford had a couple more there with cal Berkeley and cal Tech. Great job though in the lightning round you both did very very well. Jackie carry the one. What the hell are we heading into after the lightning round?
Speaker 3: I like this score. I like the score because it is a multiple of five. And I like the look of the numbers. We've got Christian with fifteen. Love that number one next to a five, yes please? And Emily has twenty. Nice round bottom.
Speaker 5: I like the look a round bottom. Ooh yes, I love it clean.
Speaker 2: It's a clean score, clean math.
Speaker 3: I can do five yeah.
Speaker 2: Jackie scoffls maths corn keeping, but not anymore. You're doing great, great. Twenty to fifteen. After three, we're here with Emily Maya Mills. You can follow her on social media at Emily Maya Mills. She's playing for Surfers against Sewage. And then we're also here with Christian du Gay. You can follow him on social media at Valley Heat podcast or csdu Guay on Instagram, and he is playing for Oh Sheana. It's twenty to fifteen as we head into our fourth and final round between you two. It is the Theatore Double Duty Radcliffe.
Speaker 4: Round Round four, the Double Duty.
Speaker 2: We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled and there are nine questions instead of eight, so there are eighteen very large points up for grabs. We'll see if Christian can stage a comeback here in the Double Duty. Today we're doing a round all about eighties and nineties comedy. We haven't done this before, but just to around all about eighties and nineties comedy. Here is question number one of nine. What Carol Burnett Alum starred as the title character on the TV show Mama's Family, Kicking at old School Mama's Family. What Carol Burnett alum start as the title character on the TV show Mama's Family. For question number one, this is where it gets real. Goddamn quiet. It's a serious business, okay. Question number two, can you name any of the following characters from the movie Friday? I need the characters played by either Chris Tucker or Bernie Mack to get this or Faison Love. Chris Tucker, Bernie Mack or faise on Love. All hilarious comedians are in Friday. Can you name any of their characters? Any of those two three characters that are in one of my favorite films of all time, Friday.
Speaker 3: He's on Love, He's Cuban?
Speaker 2: Is he? I didn't know that?
Speaker 3: Ain't that fun? That's a fun part.
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: For question number two, can you name any of the following characters from the movie Friday played by Chris Tucker, Bernie Mack or Faison Love.
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Question number three of nine. They're all gonna laugh at you? What the hell happened to me? What's your Name? And Stan and Judy's Kid are all comedy albums from the nineteen nineties for what huge comedian an actor put out a bunch of stuff in the nineteen nineties. The comedy albums were titled They're All Gonna Laugh at You? That was his first What the Hell Happened to Me? What's Your Name? And Stan and Judy's Kid. They're all comedy albums from the nineteen nineties for what Comedian an Actor. I remember listening to some of these albums in college and having like the like laughing till I pissed my pants pretty much core memory, very formative. All right, Question number four is a fun question. Can you name all three actresses as well as who played the shitty boss in nine to five? That great film nine to five? Can you name the three actresses as well as the actor that played their shitty boss that great film nine to five for question number four? All right? Question number five is a fun question. Question number five of nine and the double duty. We're talking about eighties and nineties comedy. Dave Chappelle, Rosie O'Donnell Martin, Lawrence Ray Romano, Dennis Miller, and Sindbad are just some of the stand ups that appeared on What TV Talent Show. Number five, Dave Chappelle, Rosie O'Donnell Martin, Lawrence Ray Romano, Dennis Miller, and Sinbatter just some of the stand ups that appeared on What TV Talent Show. All right, Question number six, I think is kind of a deeper cut. But we'll see if either of your eyes light up when I read it. Question number six, we're talking about an eighties movie. What Eighties Flick had a big cast, including comedians Marshall Warfield, Bill Maher, Paul Rodriguez, Bob Zumuda as well as mister T. This is a deep cut. You probably you probably rented this from your local video store. What Eighties Flick had a big cast, including comedians Marshall Warfield, Bill Maher, Paul Rodriguez, Bob Zamuda as well as mister T. It's an eighties movie featuring mister T. It's not Rocky three. Mister T was in a lot of stuff. It's kind of a deeper cut comedy from the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 4: It was Bob Zamuda, mister T.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, Bob's Muda, mister T. Paul Rodriguez, Bill Maher is hilariously in the movie. Marsha Warfield. Yeah, all right, question number seven. We're down to our final three questions here in the double duty Question number seven, The Larry Sanders Show is arguably the best sitcom of all time in one of HBO's best shows. That's my opinion. But that's saying something. But can you name either character played by Rip Torn or Jeffrey Tambour on that great show, The Larry Sanders Show, Gary Schandling, can you name either of the characters played by Rip Torn or Jeffrey Tambour, two of the funniest characters, maybe in all of TV? For question number seven, what.
Speaker 3: Was Jeffrey Tambour's like saying?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: What does that sign say? Applesauce?
Speaker 4: Just kidding?
Speaker 2: Its applause? The Larry Sanders Show is arguably the best sitcom of all time in one of HBO's best show opinions. In my opinion, only Jackie's Jackie says it's dream on or arless? You really like arless for something less? She's a big Robert woolffan wolf. Let me repeat that question. The Larry Sanders Show is arguably the best sitcom of all time. That's my opinion. But can you name either character played by Rip Torn? Who plays the produced producer or Jeffrey Tambore that plays kind of the Ed McMahon character on the show. Hey Now, no flipping for number seven, and then there were two. Question number eight, What was the name of the charity specials hosted by Billy Crystal, will Be Goldberg and Robin Williams to raise awareness for those suffering from poverty? I think it started in the mid eighties. Was the name of the charity specials? I think they were on HBO hosted by Billy Crystal, will Be Goldberg and Robin Williams to raise awareness for those suffering from poverty? What was the name of those specials? I'm not taking it easy on you, guys.
Speaker 5: No, this is a.
Speaker 2: Tricky this is deep. This is deep comedy knowledge where you're both like two of the funnier people I've ever met. So I'm going deep cuts. I'm not taking it easy.
Speaker 5: But we were both unconscious in the nineties.
Speaker 3: They really liked to take naps sweetly zonked.
Speaker 5: No, I'm kidding. Mostly just do another thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Question number nine again, I don't think this is an easy question. Can you name either of the Saturday Night Live actresses that portrayed the Singing Sweeney Sisters hilarious duo the Sweeney Sisters. Can you name either of the Saturday Night Live actresses that portrayed the Singing Sweeney Sisters?
Speaker 4: Lang Lang Lang the true.
Speaker 2: It have really great bantern. Then go like seamlessly into like, yeah, an old standard whatnot so great? So great? All right, here we go, pencils down. Let's go over our answers for the Theodore double doty Radcliff round. Today we're talking about eighties and nineties comedy. Question number one was what Carol Burnett alum starred as the title character on the TV show Mama's Family. Emily, I just wrote down, Bilma. I want to give you at least a point for that. That's really great. Christian, did it come to you?
Speaker 4: Vicky Lawrence?
Speaker 2: Vicky Lawrence? The correct answer is Vicky Lawrence. Two huge points for Christian.
Speaker 3: My gosh, I forgot it was a double duty Radcliffe. Thank god you reminded me.
Speaker 2: Yep, this is double points here. This is this just got even more interesting after one question. Question number two, we're talking about the movie Friday. Can you name any of the following characters from Friday played by Chris Tucker or Bernie Mack or Faison Love Christian.
Speaker 6: I just can't remember what his name he had that he had like a one word name. I just can't remember what it was. It was like it was like I can't remember, I can't remember, but I know it was one word.
Speaker 2: This will be one of those groaners when I reveal the answers, Emily, did you come up with an answer?
Speaker 1: I want to say Bernie Mac played a preacher, but I might have that backwards. I also want to just say the words Deebo, big Worm and Craig, because I know.
Speaker 5: None of them are correct, but at least I know I know characters. I just don't know those ones.
Speaker 2: So are you picking one of those?
Speaker 4: Deebo?
Speaker 5: If I had to pick one? But I think that's wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I.
Speaker 4: Was trying to think of that's it right?
Speaker 2: I don't know your answers here your answers. Tiny Lister played Deebo the Bully. Oh okay, Chris Tucker played Smoky.
Speaker 5: Sma woky Okay, of course.
Speaker 2: Of course, smoking the whole time, smoking those blunds smoky smoke. You were right that Bernie Mack played a preacher. It was Pastor Cleaver. It's Bernie Mack's character in that. And you did mention Faison Love's character's name. He he sold chili cheese FreeDOS to the town kids on the the You know the snack truck was big Worm. It was big Worm. Oh damn big Perm. I was trying to get you to say big Worm as your answer. I will shoot, We'll see, we'll see how charitable I feel. But I feel like I name my dog after that movie what's your Dog's name?
Speaker 5: Or not? Our dog's name is Friday. And I'm just I'm retroactively saying that.
Speaker 3: So you're lying.
Speaker 2: You are.
Speaker 5: You're a big fat, strong connection of a strong connection.
Speaker 2: If you're playing at home, if you put smoky Pastor Cleaver or big Worm, give yourselves two points question number three, they're all going to laugh at you. What the hell happened to me? What's your Name? And Stan and Judy's Kid are four comedy albums in the nineteen nineties. For what comedian and actor Emily.
Speaker 5: Don't even have a Guess? It's crazy how much I don't have guess.
Speaker 2: Don't even have Brooks.
Speaker 5: I don't Albert Brooks.
Speaker 2: Why not Christian what did you put?
Speaker 4: I was torn. I was torn here because it was one of two people. But I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Stephen right, Steven right, Great guess. Correct answer is none other than Adam Sandler. Adam Sandler had huge comedy albums in the nineteen nineties, had four of them in the decade. Yeah, the one I remember, They're all going to laugh at you, I think was the first one, and that one just destroyed me. I thought it was one of.
Speaker 4: The greatest Godfather joke with a little mini horse.
Speaker 6: That was that That, like, was one of the best jokes I've ever heard when laughter Comedy Central. I saw him on Comedy Central do that joke, and it was just I just never had heard someone do it like that.
Speaker 2: So no harm, no fault. But it is Adam Sandler for number three. I think we're back at it with number four. Can you name all three actresses as well as the actor who played the shitty boss in the great film nine five, Christian.
Speaker 4: Belly Parton, Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dabney Coleman.
Speaker 2: Great guesses, Emily, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, and I didn't have a guess for the fellow with a thick mustache.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we're gonna give Christian two points. We'll give Emily one. She got three out of four. But it is Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda, and the late great Dabney Coleman. I think he passed. Did he pass? My saying late great without him?
Speaker 4: It was amazing. I love him.
Speaker 2: Oh he's so good in everything, and he's so great playing such a dick.
Speaker 3: Hey he's still alive. He's ninety two.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: No, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Google to take you down.
Speaker 7: Google's remember the new AI and Google like they don't know anything.
Speaker 3: You know anything?
Speaker 5: Dabney.
Speaker 3: You know what's confusing because it said ninety two years old, twenty twenty four. So I was like, oh my gosh, he's still here. He actually died May sixteenth of this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, so well recently ninety two? Really on a roller coaster, Jackie, He's no yet. No, that was fun.
Speaker 5: You can spend this evening realizing how much we missed.
Speaker 2: Yes, and what a great name. I always use that as just a weird name reference because Dabney is just you don't there's not a lot of Dabneys anymore. Oh no, no, I don't think there was Dabney's before him either. It's just an interesting name. Question number five, Dave Chappelle, Rose O'donald Martin, Lawrence Ray Ramono, Dennis Miller, and Sinbad are just some of the stand ups that appeared on What TV Talent Show?
Speaker 4: Emily.
Speaker 1: I think this is going to be wrong because it's not the right format, but I'm going to say premium.
Speaker 2: Blend, Premium blend, Christian, what did you put?
Speaker 4: Star Search?
Speaker 2: Oh, our returning champ, Christian Dugue gets three and three quarters stars. It is Star Search hosted by Ed McMahon. Yeah, I guess Sindbad actually went up against Dennis Miller and beat him in a combo, which is just awesome that they faced off against each other. But yeah, tons of Brad Garrett, there was just there. The list was I could have gone on for like six or seven more people. It was like a lot of famous people. Tommy Davidson, it was crazy. All appeared on Star Search with Ed McMahon. Question number six, What eighties Flick had a big cast, including comedians Marsha Warfield, Bill Maher, Paul Rodriguez, Bob's Muda as well as mister T. Christian you got anything?
Speaker 4: I took a stab? Cannonball run two.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's great guess. Cannonball run to Emily, what did you put?
Speaker 5: I also took a stab, which is one of the naked.
Speaker 2: Both great guesses. I don't know if you've ever heard of this movie. If you haven't, my apologies, but it was about a taxi company and it was called d C Cab DC Cab.
Speaker 4: That's a deep one. Miss.
Speaker 2: That is maybe the deepest of cuts that I've ever done. But if you watch it VHS, yeah, that is like you find that at a gas station for like ninety nine cents on one of those things that spins around. Yeah, but check out d C Cab if you want to see Bill Maher and mister T in the same movie in the like early early to mid eighties. Question number seven, The Larry Sanders Show, one of my favorite shows of all time. Can you name either of these characters? Uh played by Rip torn who played the producer, or Jeffrey Tambore that played the Ed McMahon type character. Do you remember their character names at all?
Speaker 1: Emily, I am inspired to rewatch it, but I do not have lots of uh uh Larry Sanders trivia at my fingertips.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go ahead and just any answer I don't know.
Speaker 2: Say al, al, great, guess Al Christian, what did you put Hank? Hank so rip Torn played Artie or Arthur the producer, so fucking funny, and then Jeffrey Tambor played Hank Kingsley. Hank Kingsley, So Hank gets the two points.
Speaker 4: I was thinking herb for so long and that I remember Hank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God, damn it, Hank, it is Hank Kingsley for number seven. Question number eight, what was the name of the charity specials? Hosted by Billy Crystal, Whoopee Goldberg and Robin Williams. They did it for many years. It was to raise awareness for those suffering from poverty to the did the name come to you? Christian Comic relief, Comic relief, Emily, what did you put?
Speaker 5: Comic relief?
Speaker 2: Correct and moon to I think that's a tough question. You nail that it is comic relief for.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, what was it? Yeah? Comedy something?
Speaker 2: I remember people had like sweat shirts or T shirts that they would sell to the ter Raise Mighty or whatever, and I remember like people I just grew up with, like even having just shwag from Comic Relief Question nine. It could come down to this final question. I feel like the scores are very close. Can you name either of the SNL actresses that portrayed the Singing Sweeney sisters Emily Maya Mills? What do you got?
Speaker 5: I don't have it.
Speaker 1: It sucks because it's on It's on the tip of my brain and this port I just and she didn't get renewed because she protested the appearance of what's.
Speaker 2: His face Andrew Dice Clay.
Speaker 1: Clay so super crazy that she was the only person who was like, no, yeah. They all were like, hey, we go to we get a job, yea work. Yeah, I'm gonna it's like just escaping me. And I know I'm going to say Nancy something. I Nancy Linda, Nancy Linda.
Speaker 2: Nancy Linda, one of my favorites, Christian, did you put Nancy Linda as well?
Speaker 4: Oh? Jan Hooks and nor done?
Speaker 2: Noora done, Jan Hooks and Nora done. Christian got them both. That is the wonderful Jan Hooks, who I think is still one of like top ten people to ever be on SNL and uh yeah, Nora done in that role, so goddamn good. Oh my god, I think this got real interesting. Jackie's got a big shitt eating grin on our face. Jackie, what is our final score between these two?
Speaker 3: Hold on, I'm just when we swallowing my shit that I'm eating your breath stating to you, Wow, what this is why we like this game? Anything goes, anything can happened.
Speaker 6: Double Duty?
Speaker 3: Are you crazy? Our final score is so tight. We have Emily with twenty three points, and then Christian you have twenty seven. You are the smartest person in the world for one week.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what a comeback crazy the Double Duty. We had another comeback in the Double Duty.
Speaker 1: Has been a driving game, any video driving game, and I would have smoked him.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen her play at video driving game, people find her, find where she's at and watch her. Are you on Twitch or any of those things where the people can watch you play video games?
Speaker 5: OIDs?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just at Arcades, Pole Position? Whatnot? Christian Dugay, you are the smartest person in the world for one week. You can follow him at Valley Heat podcast and cs do Gay. We're happy to make a donation in your name to Oceana. Check out Valley Heat podcast. Listen to that, It's one of the greatest things ever. Check out The Dress Up Gang on TBS and then Emily Maya Mills. You can follow her on social media at Emily Maya Mills. Happy to make a donation in her name to Surfers against Sewage. Checkout Valley Heat. Check out the short film Rare Medium. Check out the other film Boo hag or shadow Man on the Kiss Kiss YouTube channel. Folks, that was a delight. What a great game. But it's not over. It's time for Jackie to take.
Speaker 3: Over the final throwdown.
Speaker 2: Jackie, what is our final throwdown for the day?
Speaker 3: Chis the season for a baseball question?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Which MLB player was the first to hit a home run in six consecutive World Series games?
Speaker 2: Who was the first player to hit a home run in six consecutive World Series games? Who was the first player to do it?
Speaker 4: Who's the first player to do it? Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: I was going to say it was recent, but.
Speaker 6: It does give away something because I only saw the first one in this game.
Speaker 1: In this game, but I think he's chasing someone's I don't know.
Speaker 2: He definitely has five, so you could be right, but there he might be chasing someone like you're right.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna guess just for fun because it sounds right. Jose can secutay.
Speaker 4: In Dako consecutive.
Speaker 2: Consecutive. If Jose canseikoh, great, guess Freddie Freeman. I'm trying to think of anybody else like old school that played in the World Series a lot, like a Babe Ruth or a Yogi bearra that was like played so many World Series games, Daryl Stronger, that's really good. I'm gonna go it's wrong, but I'll go, Babe Bruce, we have Babe Ruth, Freddie Freeman, and Jose consecutive Kenseko Jackie. What is our answer?
Speaker 3: I do want to preface this with I wrote this like before we started the game and before we started talking about spoilers and whatnot. Is Freddy freeven?
Speaker 6: But I saw the stat they saw the stat that he was the first one to ever get the.
Speaker 5: Fine saw it right that much.
Speaker 3: You know you because you haven't watched a second, you didn't watch before we watched it was that it was that one, that that one was.
Speaker 4: The same I thought that was I thought that was the fifth one. That was the sixth one.
Speaker 5: That was the sixth one.
Speaker 1: And so five consecutive games, six consecutive home runs.
Speaker 3: Right, consecutive World Series games because he did it with another team, the Braves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the frame first, the first four and the last two when they the Braves won, and the first four here, that's pretty in cract. Six World Series games with a home run because he was scuffling coming into the World Series and then he just pop pop rocked it out and look at this time were perfect for our out time and everything. Audible can't thank you both enough. This was a great game. And yeah, I hope to see you in real life, real soon.
Speaker 5: So fun.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much, see.
Speaker 3: You next week for another episode of You Should Know Better.
Speaker 2: I want to help out the podcast. Please subscribe to You Should Know Better wherever you listen to podcasts, Rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the Massons. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together. And then the immortal words of Harry Carey.
Speaker 4: So Long, Everybody.
Speaker 2: You Should Know Better, as produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over tenant Natalia Castellianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Caldera Had Lived, Beloved and Loved ind