Speaker 1: Hi everyone, Tony here with some bonus audio. Some of you might have seen that on Video Villa's podcast. Last week, I did Death Wish Too with Logan. That's right, Boys Month is expanding to other channels now, So yeah, me and Logan did Death Wish Too, and you should go and you should listen to that episode. But if you never heard video Villa before, I decided to upload the review we did for The Edge, which is very manly. It has Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin in the wilderness fighting bears and stuff. It's pretty awesome. Probably my favorite survival thriller of all time. So yeah, this is a Boys Month bonus. Listen to this older episode I did with Logan and then please subscribe to video Villa on YouTube or wherever you get your podcast. And yeah, listen to that Death Wish Too episode.
Speaker 2: It's a good one. All right, on with the show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to episode sixty seven The Edge, directed by Lee Toma Horri. In today's episode, we're gonna ask can one man do really what another can do? On today's episode Video Villa Podcast, Welcome back to the channel, everybody. Today you are talking about the Edge and we have a special guest. Introduce yourself. Mister Tony.
Speaker 1: I am Tony from Hack the Movies, and I am excited to talk about the Edge.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Anthony Hopkins, dude.
Speaker 3: This movie rules. This movie is so freaking good.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny. I've only seen this movie like a handful of times, and it's so good that it sticks with me. I think about this movie a lot.
Speaker 3: This movie. Okay, so it's fun because this movie is right up there with another movie that y'all just did with movie Dumpster and his Ghost of the Darkness. Yes, this is my up there these this I watched this movie with my mom when I was little. Same thing I watched Ghost in the Darkness with my mom when I was little. And ever since I saw those two movies, I'm like, these movies are incredible.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing a preview for this on like a tape, and then my grandfather rented it like right when it came out, and we all watched it together and we were like, this is all I think.
Speaker 2: At this time? What is this? Ninety ninety seven? Ninety seven? All right, so i'd done some care.
Speaker 1: This is right before I did, like boy Scouts, I would end up Becoming a Boy scout afterwards, probably because I liked this movie, but I liked like camping and everything and like being in the woods, so this was cool to see. I'm like, oh, wow, in the woods and they're fighting bears, and it's like, what would I do if I was out there?
Speaker 2: It's it's awesome. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: This movie is so good. If you haven't seen it, Okay, I'm not sure if everyone out there has seen this movie, but if you haven't seen it, good God, do yourself a favor and watch it and come back to this review because this movie I love.
Speaker 2: You don't want to lose retention. Keep this review playing on mute.
Speaker 1: There you go, and then watch it and then come back like time right when you stopped watching, and come back, come on exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: It's it's one of those movies.
Speaker 3: Were like, also The Rewatch because it is one of those animal survival movies. I think at this time, like was it Born to Be Wild? The documentary movie with the family that was based on a true story. Who did the Super eight films of the animals? I think one of the one of the kid from the Lawrence Kid.
Speaker 2: Oh no, not Born to Be wild that. I know what you're talking about. Is it?
Speaker 3: It's something wild in it?
Speaker 2: Right, yo? God, give me one second. Wor to be Wild?
Speaker 1: I think is a movie where a kid becomes friends with a gorilla. I know what movie you're talking about, this one, Jonathan Taylor, Tom, Yeah, hold on, give me one second.
Speaker 2: I will find it. I will find it for you.
Speaker 1: Wild America, Wild America, Wild America with Devin so Yes yes, yes, yes, and uh Scott Byerstow Yes, that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was another one of those movies were like you just like there's something about videotaping real animals that I don't know. It's like a car crash to me. I love fucking car crashes. I love movies with car crashes in them. Yeah, I get excited.
Speaker 2: Uh you get a plane crash in this one? Fucked.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, dude, that scene alone is worth the price of a mission right there. This movie just like it stuck with me ever since I was little and I watched it. It was just like one of those movies. Was just like it was burned in my brain and I remember you did old like I think, like a like a haul like I think you went. It was on the Patreon or something like that, and you like you went to your local thrift store.
Speaker 2: Yeah, The Edge.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, someone else has seen this movie. And then I brought it up to you and you're like, oh, I fucking love that movie.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: And I remember when years ago and lean Neeson's The Gray came out great. I saw that because it reminded me a lot of The Edge. I like The Edge more, but I remember seeing that because I'm like, wait, a plane crash, animals tracking.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is basically the Edge again. I'm on board with Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: This movie is It's It's one of those things where like this is that time of like thrillers were the shit. Yeah, like like like I mean, we were stepping back from horror and really focusing on thrillers. You know, you've got breakdown with like cart.
Speaker 2: Russell and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: And I would still since this is like things are dying and it is like people are fear for life, I would still consider this a thriller.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you got this is Anthony Hopkins like when he's on fire post Oscar, like a nineteen ninety one was on fire for that.
Speaker 3: Whole decade and you got anything, you got Alec Baldwin, which is he. It's so funny because from.
Speaker 2: The Shadow Alex Baalds went from the Shaft.
Speaker 3: I have not rewatched it, but I love The Shadow growing up, loved it, loved it, had the action figures. Oh my god, it's probably not a good movie. I don't probably need to rewatch it. I especially remember the scene with him in the long hair and his long nasty fingernails. I remember I did see I've watched that scene in the CGI and Dagger does not hold it up. I don't think it held up back then either.
Speaker 2: Non't really worked back then either.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this movie is I don't know, like it's it's crazy because it's funny because at one point in time after you start looking into film and you start like getting into like the like what could have been? Uh, it's funny because this movie is so memorable to me with these two u two actors, it's crazy to even think that, like this could have been Harris Ford or Dustin Hoffman as Bob's character. Yeah, it's weird because I don't see them as that character.
Speaker 2: It could have worked, It could have worked.
Speaker 3: I don't know something I would and bring somebody that's like.
Speaker 2: Like, Alec Baldwin is a better asshole. Yes, there you go. He is a real asshole. Yes, oh god.
Speaker 1: Him and his wife they have an Instagram and it's the most annoying Instagram on Earth.
Speaker 2: They're doing these dumb skits and stuff.
Speaker 3: And it's just like the wife that pretended to be Yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Wife that pretended to be Spanish and did the fake accident.
Speaker 3: I remember watching his COVID videos of him like talking about how it was so hard living in COVID. I'm like, you're I'm like.
Speaker 2: Why is he so good at playing an asshole? No kind of is one? Speaking of people with fake stuff.
Speaker 1: I'm still not I'm still not over Johannah pretending to the Italian her whole life.
Speaker 2: Have you been have you heard.
Speaker 3: About this ancestry?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did a DNA tests out turns out whatever relative she had lied about them being Italian, she's like actually part black.
Speaker 2: And like eight percent, like a very small percent. I'm like, wait, what decided Balian? But at least she was unknowing, unlike Alec.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's you made a conscience when it was your Like I just woke up. You're like, you know what, I want to be Hispanic.
Speaker 1: It's like Tommy Whissou saying he's from New Orleans. He's like, no, you're not, come on. But anyway, Yeah, Alec Paul went real big asshole in this. But I could have seen I mean not so much. I can see Dustin Hoffman doing it. Uh, but Harrison No, I could see Harrison Ford in this part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's played a bad guy a few times.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, he's a pretty good I mean, I mean Han Solo's asshole. Yeah, I mean what's called but like something that like Alec Balber definitely brings something to this. And then uh, Anthony Hopkins was all his role as Charley's talls Chiles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, al Aleck Paul went the whole movie Chiles, Charles, Charles Chiles.
Speaker 3: And there's even one point where he says lure. He's like, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: Charles?
Speaker 3: So how are we gonnaure? But apparently Robert de Niro was odd at the beginning stages to do uh, to play that character Robert Denier who worked too, Yeah worked, but I think they got lucky with alcohola yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It's so it's also funny too, because we earlier, were we just talking about Bart the Bear, which is the famous video, the famous bear actor. Yes, you would call him, yes, Uh, it's funny the fact that like he had worked I found out he had worked with Anthony Hopkins before and Legends of the Fall there was a bear in there too, and apparently, uh, there was a there's a book written about the makers of this film, and there's a part in the book that it talks about the Edge and then it was turned into a movie as well.
Speaker 2: And in that book.
Speaker 3: They were talking about how working with Bart the Bear was just like one of like the craziest things in the world because he was such a docile bear and such just like he it's weird, like you forgot that he was this giant, seventeen hundred pound bear that could kill you in one second.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were they were worried he did it well. Yeah, And they were worried, like they were worried that.
Speaker 3: He would not be right for the role because he was so docile. But they were able to train him in a way to actually not hurt people, but look like he was hurting people.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just put a bear on camera and it's like that's terrifying.
Speaker 3: Well, it's crazy because like ninety percent of this movie is Bart the bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Literally, there's only a couple of scenes and you can kind of tell like where it's just like to anytime the actor you're seeing the actor engage at the bear, usually where it's the actors in the background and the bears in the foreground. You're just seeing from the back of the head. That is those scenes where it is just like either a stuffed animal or animatronic somewhat because they they weren't trained to work with Bart, you know what I'm saying, So you need the actual trainers to work with the bear. All those other scenes where you see like Alet Baldwin and Anthony Hopkins, but you can't you just see them in the back of their head, that's the actual trainers. That's actually Bart. Which is crazy because I think this movie is so good because the scenes with the bear feel so realistic. It's not CGI. There's only like one use there's well not you want use, but there's like only a couple uses of CGI.
Speaker 2: If you I could.
Speaker 1: Tell a couple of them where when it's running, Yeah, there's one Shaw much like the Lion and goes to the darkness.
Speaker 2: There's like one.
Speaker 1: Scene where you're like, that's either CGI or they got footage of it running and like rotoscoped it and it looks weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the scene where he's breaking through the branches, yes, because it's not those aren't real branches.
Speaker 1: And I think when it attacks the guy at night in the rain, when it runs up to him, I think like that might be one of the scenes where it's a little digital. Other than that, You're right, it's Bart the bear on camera, so you get a lot.
Speaker 2: Of a bear.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and he also he's the bear in A Great Outdoors too as well.
Speaker 1: But it's funny when, like now, when you watch a movie with a bear like it was a Prey, it's just always a CGI bear.
Speaker 3: Which was which is crazy because they literally recreated the exact same screen scene in Prey in this Sorry they redid this scene in this movie in Prey. Yeah, and they used a real bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, it's going like like I think it's it's crazy because that scene where Anthony Hopkins is underneath the tree and stuff like that, that's the same scene and pray, Yeah, but what's one's a CGI bear, one's a real bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we're in shorts reasons. It's probably easier to have.
Speaker 2: A cgi bears. I can't knock it too much. Yeah, animals are a little unpredictable.
Speaker 3: Ye, But yeah, So it's crazy because like with this movie, it's it's one of those movies where it's it does and get talked about a lot. But I feel like there's this one little pocket of films that were just like I guess I would call it just popcorn movies. Just they weren't gonna win any awards or anything like that, but they were just enjoyable and which is fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Shocking is what this is.
Speaker 1: David Mammott, right, David, Yes, David, I was Glenning writer David Mammont who did Glengarry, Glenn Ross and The Untouchables. So it's actually shocking it didn't get any awards or anything. Uh, probably not out of the three movies. That's probably the weakest out of those three. Oh yeah, I mean, I mean it's my favorite out of the three, although Glengary Glenn Ross is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah neat brass balls anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I wonder why it didn't do better, Like I don't know why it's not remembered as much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean made forty three million dollars at the box office, which I mean that's okay.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean for ninety seven, I didn't look up like what movies they like went after, you know what I mean, like like Lolo was also playing at the same time. I mean, the director had like he's worked on some stuff, but like he didn't go off to do anything crazy and he did Mholland Falls. Did you see that one? No, with Nick Nolty and Jennifer Jennifer Conley. That one's kind of like like a crime you Are detective movie.
Speaker 2: That's where he hooks up with her.
Speaker 1: Because I brought it up in the whole movie and I'm like, wait a minute, now she's sleepingever but the dead she hooked up with a different movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those uh tho not nas scenes. If you want to see Jennifer Conley and all of Jennifer Conley he did. Along came Spider at oh.
Speaker 1: That I've seen because that's uh, that's based off the series of books, like what was it? Kiss the Girls was the first one, and then along came Morgan Freeman's Yeah, what's that character's name? Tyler Perry ended up playing him Alex Cross. Yeah, that's one of the Alex Cross movies. Oh okay, Spider, Yeah right, yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: And then uh and then he did uh Die Another Day, the one with halle Berry.
Speaker 1: You're gonna Joey C's favorite James Bond movie. Really yeah, it's a classic, apparently, I.
Speaker 3: Will say I will say during this timeframe, uh, like I feel like the nineties were really big on like the double cross. I mean because like you got it, like uh, I like got Mission I possible double cross happens in Mission of Ball Golden Eye, Broken Arrow right at the beginning. You you don't know, you don't know. John Travoltz is the bad guy, and it's just and it just flips on you and then you you get a nicely at this one is at the very end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like, although you see it coming, it's it's it's like advertised early that there will be a betrayal.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: But the thing is is like as of rewatch, I completely forgot that aspect And I'm like, okay, well maybe like it's so auto left ball field when He's like, so, how do you plan on killing me?
Speaker 2: He's like, what the fun?
Speaker 3: Who says he's trying to kill you? I mean, we'll get more into when we started breaking down the movie. But yeah, I mean it's and I did. There's not a lot of background behind it. We're just I'm just going all over the place right now. But I did see that Bartha Bear was given a million dollars for this failed real quick the director.
Speaker 1: Did he end up directing Next with Nicholas Cage, Yes, he did, which actually I've seen scenario.
Speaker 2: None of them turn out good for you.
Speaker 3: That movie is crazy because that movie, I think at one point, if I can remember correctly, because I was working the movie, you, I'm sure ghost Rider and Next were playing all at the exact same I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I remember watching Next on like cable with friends that were just making fun.
Speaker 2: Oh no, he's gonna get shot and then he goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, watching him watching Nick Kay's with his really bad hair plugs jogging through the woods and then doing that backwards.
Speaker 2: It's it's not the best, fuddy, It's no the edge, but I think it's so.
Speaker 3: And then another cool thing about the movie, what's called it? Has a nice Jerry Goldsmith's score.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he's another one was on fire around the time he did Like The Mummy like.
Speaker 2: A year later. Yeah, yeah, ghost in the Darkness and Ghosts in the Darkness. While other than.
Speaker 1: That one score, that one was annoying with the high Hi, there's nothing that There's not a lot of that.
Speaker 2: And well I remember, like he's got that ever since.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about even since like freaking first Blood, Like First Blood is like has got one of my favorite like score scenes when he's just walking through the woods and he sees he like you just see this as like autumn like wintry, like uh foolage and you just see still alone with that backpack on, and it just that plays is just well performed orchestra. I don't know, it really does sound. He puts you in the movie without you being in the movie. That makes sense do his music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's got it's got a great score. The whole like opening with them like flying and stuff.
Speaker 2: Is it's great. It's great.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, is there anything else that you want to add about the You know, I got it? When was the first time you saw it? Do you remember I.
Speaker 2: Said earlier my grandfather. I can say it again there.
Speaker 1: I can tell you the last time I watched it this morning on VHS.
Speaker 3: You know what, I know what happened. I think it's because we've this is our second review back to back, and I think I just like, in my head, I was just thinking of what you said from the previous review, and I was like, that's.
Speaker 2: Fine, that's fine. You just getting into it, all right?
Speaker 3: Uh, all right, I'm gonna have Tony read the back of the VHS.
Speaker 2: Yes, let's do this. Okay, all the wait, what the hell?
Speaker 1: Uh huh Okay, this tape has just a random fact Toyd at the top. Although set in the Alaskan Wilderness, The Edge was actually filmed in the Rocky Mountains in Alberta, Canada. Some areas were so steep and perilous to reach that helicopters had to fly equipment into shooting locations.
Speaker 3: Is that really going to sell the movie?
Speaker 1: That's the twentieth century Fox Selections tape. I gotta check my view justin it has that same one. Uh, an action film that celebrates survival of the smartest. There's a dought that ot in there. So I don't know what was in between them.
Speaker 2: It's jaws with claws. That's great.
Speaker 1: A plane crash in the freezing Alaskan wilderness pits intellectual billionaire Charles Morse Anthony Hopkins against hot shot fashion photographer Robert Green Alec Baldwin in.
Speaker 2: A brutal struggle for survival. Each soon discovers that the greatest danger resides not in nature, but from human fear, treachery, and.
Speaker 1: Quite possibly murder. Filled with non stop action and grippin' suspense.
Speaker 2: David Anson, Newsweek.
Speaker 1: This harrowing tale is from Pultzer Prize. Pulitzer Prize. When I wasn't pointing, I was David Mammick Clean Garry Glenn Ross, nineteen ninety seven, color, approximately one hundred twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Get didn't get out good time length? Uh yeah, there you.
Speaker 3: Go, perfect, all right, So let's go right into it. So the movie opens up at a small like airport.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: We get introduced to Charles, Robert, Mickey, and Steven. Those are the main characters. There's some other people there, but those are the really the people who are going to focus on throughout the Manda his wife. Yeah that's Mickey.
Speaker 2: Oh that's make this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I forget who the other guy is Stephen Stephen, that's Harold Parano's character.
Speaker 2: Wait, which one the black guy? Yes, yes, yes, I was saying his real name. I say it's hard for now. Yes he was.
Speaker 3: He was on a lost It was in Romeo Juliet too, and Romeo and Juliet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: But whenever I think of when when he crashed in here, I expected him to start going wa w from us because that was like the big thing the first season.
Speaker 2: He was always looking for a wall.
Speaker 3: Well, he's on that news show too, that uh, that weird horror style Sciphi show. Is that one called from something like that actor.
Speaker 2: Who looks like him? So I wonder, Yeah, so he's Steve, right.
Speaker 3: He's Steven Steve. Yeah, yeah, he's Stephen.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: So we basically find out that we meet Charles is a billionaire yeah uh, and Mickey is his lovely uh model wife?
Speaker 2: Who is uh? Who's the actress?
Speaker 3: It's she's a she's actually really yeah.
Speaker 1: Elle McPherson, El McPherson, Uh, keep talking. I want to look up what she was in.
Speaker 3: This is a wonderful This is like the movie that really got her into acting, like this movie is like when she kind of like I never thought about being after she got kicked rolled into this film, and that's when she actually turned out to actually, like, you know what, I actually kind of liked this kind of stuff, which, by the way, for someone who's not an actor, she doesn't do a bad job.
Speaker 1: I mean, was she got lucky with this one because she playing a model? That's what I know her from. She's a famous Batman girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Wullie Madison. What a year for her? The Edge and Batman and Robin.
Speaker 3: Yeah they so I think Batman Robin came out first and then The Edge came out. But she I think like filmed The Edge first. Yeah, I mean, like I think within weeks that movies came.
Speaker 1: By the way, she's not bad in either, but also she doesn't really have a much to do it either, so it.
Speaker 2: Kind of works out.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so they're heading the other way to uh do like Alaskan style photo shoot and this cabin in the woods. We like I said, Charles is very wealthy and Bob is his wife's photographer, and I guess Stephen is what was Stephen? Technically I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Stephen worked for Bob.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like he's like I don't know, you know about like photo shoots and stuff like that, but like he always had like the he's set up the shots for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that's called.
Speaker 1: I don't know the specific job title. But they worked together. But I like Charles.
Speaker 2: Because like you can tell, like something's up with him.
Speaker 1: He is a billionaire and everything, but you could tell he yearns to do more, Like he missed out on a venture in his life and he's trying to make up with it by marrying a way younger woman.
Speaker 3: Uh apparently so. The original title of the movie was called Bookworm because he's all about reading, yeah, and learn. And that's the thing is, like he likes to learn new things. In this movie puts on a scenario where he needs to do those put those things that he learned to yes, read about that's his whole thing.
Speaker 1: Like he missed the life of adventure building up his wealth and everything is fortune, but he read about it a lot as much as he could.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think billionaires take trips and stuff. I don't know why he didn't do any of the stuff earlier. I don't he could have afforded like a week away and a survival thing.
Speaker 2: And this is another thing.
Speaker 3: He's a very interesting character. Like I'm like, what all the stuff that you're doing is that in the script or is that something that Anthony Hopkins brought to the table, because he's very just his mannerisms and how he acts, it's just like it's not like a normal person.
Speaker 1: Well, Anthony Hopkins always, even when he's playing a good guy, seems like a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe that's just my first exposure was Hannibal Lecter, But whenever I watch him, like, I know, you're a good guy, but you really feel like a bad guy, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So basically, uh, they're on their way to this little small cabin uh and Charles Hays Uh he's filling with his book on survival and stuff like that. And it's it's funny because he's, like I said, he's like he's a kind of man that likes.
Speaker 2: To learn things.
Speaker 3: And then uh, like you know people that always like go to like school and stuff like that, Like some people like we'll just love going to school and shit, while we're on this plane, we get a little bit of like some setups for later in the film, we we find out that Bob has gotten new watch. Yeah, he's bragging about it and oh my.
Speaker 1: Watch yeah for different time zones, so he didn't have to add oh my god.
Speaker 3: He he's so pretentious. Yeah, this movie and all clear he's doing on purpose. There's definitely a scene where he just like he's going on a rant and it is like he sounds so like.
Speaker 2: God, you hate him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh my god, he's so like when we talk about trying to find the shoes and just shine the shoes, and then Charles just like, you know, a banana pil coon shoes, which I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't know every survival.
Speaker 1: Thing in this I'm like, I don't know if that's true. Like if you were to look it up, he was like, none of this makes sense. I did see there was a video. I didn't have time to watch it, but there is a video that's like a survivalist debunks the edge. Yeah, I saw it was there, I just didn't have time. And I'm like, so maybe I'll watch it afterwards. But I'm guessing this movie takes a lot of liberties with all the facts that he's throwing oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Like to play with like, like, that's only nine times out ten. Would you watch a movie that says based on true events a lot? Like I would say a lot of it it's not true? Yeah, Like I mean it's And it's funny when you watch a movie where it's like based on true events and it's like there's Ashley clips so you can go back and watch, You're like, oh, that it didn't happen that way. Why would you Why would you change? I can watch the video exactly how that event happened. Why are you changing it?
Speaker 1: Well, this one isn't based on true events, but it is represented. It is like saying like, yeah, this is what you could do in the wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm like I feel like if I ever crashed in the Alaskan wilderness or or the rocky mountains in Alberta, I feel like I would be like, I know, I saw the edge and I'd probably die in five minutes trying to learn everything I did from this movie.
Speaker 2: Who has a needle in some silk? I can get us out of here, all right.
Speaker 3: So they end up landing on the plane and we meet styles. This is kind of another character that's introduced and he is the owner of the cabin in the land that they're staying at. Yeah, he basically lets them know, you know, let me know if you need any help. But one thing I gotta tell you, there are bears around here and they're very dangerous and that what's called uh they have been said to like the flesh of men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so once they eat the flesh and man, they can't have anything else.
Speaker 2: They crave it.
Speaker 3: Apparently. I did google fact check that apparently once a bear does eat a person, they do see them as a food source. They're not curious anymore after they've eaten the meat, because I was like, is that true?
Speaker 2: And they're like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know if they'll go out of their way to look for human but they will.
Speaker 3: But they're like, they're not curious anymore.
Speaker 2: They know it's meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once they know they can eat it, But like, I feel like they prefer other things.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the that's the thing with this movie. The bear is hunting the I'm like, I feel like the bear would be like.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's go to the stream and get some fish you eat.
Speaker 2: Like an elk or something.
Speaker 1: It was like we were joking with like anaconda where like eats the panther and like that anaconda should just sit still for a week and die us that panther.
Speaker 2: More. It's like there's so many more things in the jungles. Stop going after the boat.
Speaker 3: So we get to the scene where we get this really good moment where like Bob is walking around looking inside the cabin and he looks at this photo of this this Native American that it's black and white, and he's like, you know what to go and actually capture true moment like that you need to go back to the nineteenth century and stuff. And he's like he's like to really get the true ess photo like that, Sir, sir, when was this Do you know when this photo was taken? It was takeing two weeks ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah, two weeks ago. That's my friend.
Speaker 1: He's out hunting right now. I'd be hunting with him right now if you weren't here. He's like hmm okay, But.
Speaker 3: It's one of those moments where you're like, Okay, this guy's got his head up his own ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, legit. So they end up.
Speaker 3: It's so now after they get nice and like settled, he goes to like later that night, and we see that. We get a little bit into a conversation back and forth with Charles and his wife. It looks like clearly their marriage is going great and stuff like that. He's in love with her. He's still's acting pretty fucking weird about the whole trip in general. Well, we learned later on he knows something's up, and I'm guessing, like, is that why this feels like that?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Because like at this point, like I said, we've learned that later, But I'm like, is this like foreshadowing? Like no, he's kind of uneasy about this whole scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, however, this scene that is why I didn't include in Him Boys Month. I was like, this feels like a Good Boys Month episode. She asked him to make a sandwich.
Speaker 2: I was thinking. I was thinking she asked him to make a.
Speaker 1: Sandwich, and I went, I can't leave the Boys astray with this, Like I love this movie, but this is not Boy's Mouth fruit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's just like, go make me a sandwich. He's like, Okay, it's like he's the billionaire lady.
Speaker 3: Come on, I don't you think she asks him? She goes, She's like I'm hungry. I like a sandwich, like or like a sandwich or so, why am I saying sandwich? You're samwich.
Speaker 2: You're saying sandwich.
Speaker 3: She's like, she's like, I'm hungry. I would like a sandwich. I do it again, I would like a sandwich. And he's like, okay, I'll go make you one.
Speaker 2: He didn't. She didn't ask him. It's like weird, but it's like, okay, then he's flying.
Speaker 1: Then he's flying that he's better at make okay, never mind, boy's abanut to proof now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I like that. He goes down and like, the door's open. What's the thing?
Speaker 3: Is like, okay, so the door's open. He sees the move meat setting out there, and he's just like, they told us to pack up all this food. Why the hell is this sitting out here? And I'm like, why is there so much tension in this? You think there's a bear?
Speaker 2: You can't hear it? Yeah, well, little do we know.
Speaker 3: He's starting to look around. He shuts the door and then Bob comes out in a bear suit, stares the shit out the ship out, almost kills him and it's the thing. He's like, And then they're like, oh, surprise, happy our day. It's like, what the fuck is what can you not be normal and just have a normal birthday?
Speaker 1: Surpris in like the middle of the night, like what the fuck? Everyone was about to go to bed and suddenly it's a big surprise. Part It makes no fucking sense, and he's like, I thought you forgot. Oh that's why he was weird, Like I thought you forgot it was my birthday. And then we see, uh, I think, I'm sorry, billionaire, I think your wife will remember your birthday. I feel like like that's how and then that's how she guarantees she stays your wife.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because it's like it really is that that it is that oh but like Mary for money kind of scenario. And later we find out that just fucking destroy that brought. But sorry, Bob cannot can't fathom the idea of like why when she choose you, you know what I mean, Like he's just like it just gets to his core. But we find out that she has got him a very nice watch yes for his birthday, and then uh, he gets handed a really nice knife from Bob uh to celebrate his birthday. So now it's the next morning we wake up and they are on the like the dock or whatever, shooting his wife's and her all get out and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So dressed like a Native American, and I said, cancel the edge.
Speaker 3: I will not have this slander, this cultural appropriation.
Speaker 1: Although the movie kind of agrees that his alcohol was like, you know, the hot blonde over there, I don't think she's really representing Native Americans.
Speaker 2: We got to find a real Native American. And he goes, who's that guy? Hey, where's that guy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So apparently I have another model that's supposed to be their name James and Stephen Basically, well, James is sick. He's like, what do you mean James is sick? He's like, like, how sick is he? He's like, well, you'll have to get better to die.
Speaker 2: In my head, I'm like, does.
Speaker 3: That mean he's dead? So yeah, they he is needing that. That second person, he's like, Okay, well how about this guy? How about this guy in this photo? Do you know you said you know this guy? Where's he yet? He's like, oh yeah, he's like eighty miles X, Y and Z. Yeah, is all right? Can we get there by playing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Of course, He's like alkay, all right, and then they they sync it up together like, hey, Charles, you want to go on an adventure?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And I like this because Charles like is starting to relate to the guy who owns the cabin because he knows a lot of stuff. They have like same knowledge, like when he had the knife, he gave the coin to the thing through the story of like the rabbit and.
Speaker 2: The panther or whatever.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they're so they're like really bonding. And then the guy's like.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, I was thinking of developing this area and for an investment of thirty million. And it's like and that's another thing, like Charles like everyone just wants me for my money.
Speaker 2: It's like a part that like kind of like upsets him.
Speaker 3: It's funny because also it's like, no fence man, but really, do you really think you're so smoking hot? Wife really wants you not for your money.
Speaker 1: I mean there's also I mean there's plenty of women who will date older men just because they have daddy issues.
Speaker 2: But it's not always about money. Okay, sometimes they just have daddy issues.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's a blessing when it's both that works out both ways.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But Yeah, he was like that one like really hurt like him. He's like I thought I had a friend that I related.
Speaker 2: To, but they just wanted my money him at that moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I I can see that, Like, I mean I can I agree if like, you know, we don't really understand how to be in that how it would feel to be in that situation. But and I guess that's probably why, like he seems like he's more just not self involved, but he's just more of.
Speaker 2: Like keeps to himself. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now he's not like all like I only care about myself. He's just like I know everybody what everyone else wants, so I only just basically do my thing because I don't I don't want to be put in those scenarios.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he agrees to go on the trip the Finely guy, well, because that's another thing is that's that's he's got his book with him, he's got his how to Survive in the wild. So he ends up getting on the plane with him. Uh they end up flying to uh Barneck Like, uh, well sorry, they get to his cabin, he's not there.
Speaker 2: He's not there. He went hunting. Yeah, he went hunting at Bareneck Lake.
Speaker 3: And that is when uh, they're okay, well, let's get back on the plane and let's go fly to Bareneck Lake.
Speaker 1: They should probably have radioed and told people where they were going, right, right, I would have right.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, going to bear whatever Lake.
Speaker 1: And if the plane goes down, check every area around here.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, this is ninety seven. I'm pretty sure there's still devices in planes.
Speaker 2: There's a radio exactly. AnyWho.
Speaker 3: They end up taking off and he starts having, you know, a conversation with Bob and he's like, Bob, what do you value me for? Like what is this that we have? And he's like, well, like your sense of style and I think your wife's pretty cute, yeah, and stuff like that. And he's like, uh, I like you you're you're a man's man and you made your own wealth and stuff like that. He's all right, all right, so when do you plan on killing me? And he's like what and then prove.
Speaker 2: Bunch of birth.
Speaker 1: The pilots goes, oh fuck, and I'm just a bunch of slamming into them, which they mentioned earlier, like hey, we're having like ours, yeah, and they just freaking crash.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: That scene is so blood's fucking everywhere, feathers and blood and are like, ah.
Speaker 2: There's the intense scene of him like I can't pull it up, and they just crash.
Speaker 3: So they end up hitting a mountain. One of the legs breaks off and they just keep on going down. They go right into the water, crash, fucking sinks into the ground.
Speaker 2: They just crashed.
Speaker 1: Into the Alaskan Wilderness, which again was actually the Rocky Mountains in Alberta.
Speaker 2: Uh. Sorry, it was just a really important fact. I don't know. I'm can't get over that.
Speaker 1: It just starts with the random like IMDb trivia fact on the tape, like okay.
Speaker 3: So they start, they start sinking, and you get this moment where like, I don't really I don't know why, maybe that they maybe like you know, uh, the pots passed out and then he drowns because he's passed out. Yeah, but you know, for some goddamn reason, h Steven doesn't know how to use a fucking buckle and can't unbuckle himself al ball, which is like fuck this, I only carry about myself. I'm getting the fuck out here. He swims to the surface. Andy Hopkins Charles ends up saving Steven by cutting his belt loop with the knife, and they end up making their way back up to the top. They swim into shore and stuff like that. We get this one really big scene where it's just like, uh, you know, like they ask for their watch by watch his bust and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: They uh.
Speaker 3: One thing that uh and Top does does he does grab the bag of flares, which you know he plays in it's a big point in like survival. Uh, and he got his book. So they end up setting up a fire trying to keep warm and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: They should just not leave the river, like they're always going into the woods where no one can see them, Like.
Speaker 2: Follow the river, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's the thing is. It's like also like at one point, like because they the one thing that they come up with, they're like, Okay, we're going to do a smoke fire because that's gonna make more that's gonna be more noticeable for everybody. And He's like, because they know if we went to the guy's cabin and he was hunting, we know we they would assume we went to the lake, And well why would they assume that? Like because the letter, the note He's like, you mean this, It's like, why the fuck would you take that?
Speaker 2: Why do you need that? Why do you need that?
Speaker 3: Why would you take that off the fucking cannet?
Speaker 2: There's literally no reason, Jay.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe a cheap I keepsake or something, or literally because a plot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's literally it. That's literally there's no reason for him to take that note.
Speaker 3: So since that is all happening, they end up like, Okay, well we do know we crashed over here, so if we make our way we were we were going north, we make our way south, we'll make our way back to where we were supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And that's where Charles comes up with the idea. He's like, okay, I'm gonna do a compassy. Why are you freaking to do?
Speaker 2: The companies?
Speaker 3: He's like, I need a needle and he's like, well, do you ever travel with a needle? He's like, and he pulls out a paper He.
Speaker 2: Pulls out a paper clip.
Speaker 1: He puts it on a leaf, rubs it on silk, and the magnetization will point at north.
Speaker 2: So he figures out south is by this peak and he's like, I got it. We're gonna go there. It's gonna be great. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they end up basically starting on their their hike, which will last a couple of days or so, but about a day or a day and a half or whatever.
Speaker 2: Body.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they end up doing it on their hike. While they're hiking, Charles wants to bring up the conversation they had on the plane. You know, it's called uh, well sorry, I think it's Bob who brings up and he's like, so is it do you did I hear you're right? Did you ask me how I plan on killing you? And he was like, yeah, I want to know how you plan on killing me because it's it is pretty crazy because it's a pretty off the wall question to ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, I don't think Alec Baldwin was planning on killing him anytime soon. No, this is all like I could tell, like in the back of his head. He's just like I could get it out of the way now, but I gotta make sure I get out of this situation first.
Speaker 3: Well almost, it's like all like, was he even planning on killing him in the first place, because like, why would he automatically?
Speaker 1: I feel like he wanted to kill him eventually, but he couldn't figure out how, and getting lost in the wilderness is a pretty good way to get rid of someone. So yeah, but I don't think like this trip was meant to kill him. I think it's just something that was on his mind and he might have the possibility to do it soon, but he also need Charles to live so he can't.
Speaker 3: Feel Yeah, well, yeah, that's because that's the big part of the movie is they set that up as far as like he's going to try to you know, he's going to try to kill him, but then throughout the entire movie they dismiss it, like, well, it's just Charles being paranoid because of how everything is going on with his life, and you know, he's got this beautiful wife and people always want something from him and they want to take it from him.
Speaker 2: So he's like, you know you could.
Speaker 3: Bob is kind of playing off like that's just you being rich, that's just your thought process because you're rich, and that's why that's why you're thinking this. And uh, even he breaks up to he's like, he's like, how about this, how do we just get out of the way. We'll go home together. When we say all this is you know, wall you know, we'll experience some homosexuality. We'll get a hotel or whatever express our feelings.
Speaker 2: He does his gay voice. You could do that in the nineties you were allowed to do a gay voice.
Speaker 1: But you know what those days are back all future episodes, I'll be doing a game.
Speaker 3: You've seen the New Naked Gun, right, Yes, the one part where it's like like the black Eye piece. I don't think you can say anymore my clubby can, my clubby can?
Speaker 2: By the way, you I'm not gonna say, but you can't say that. I learned.
Speaker 1: It's like everyone just stopped caring, and the people who complain complained too much, so no one takes some serious anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, it's just everyone's just going nuts right now, like I'm back in high school.
Speaker 3: So all right, So they continue on after the conversation stop there. They're still hiking, and then all of a sudden they hear something in the woods and there's a bear. Yes, there's a bear, and you know what's called They're trying to remember the exact same thing that they said what because at the beginning of the movie, Style says, you ever see a bear, look at it? And well that slowly. Then they also fucking take off running. Does that when it starts to charge them or are they running before it even starts to charge.
Speaker 1: I can't remember exactly, however, I mean it's hit or missed with bears. I feel like in the wild you might not be as lucky. If they're in a residential area, they're like more scared.
Speaker 2: Like there's that one video where the guy like opens up his door. He's like, go way, the bears lease.
Speaker 1: But I love that one video where like it's the old couple. This is like a real video in their camera, their security cameras on. They have no idea that there's a bear, like a black bear outside, and they walk out and the bear freezes and then they walk away and the bear just there was a.
Speaker 2: Bear in my neighborhood a few months ago.
Speaker 3: I have shit, really, I totally missed it.
Speaker 1: Prison Mike, who just happened to be in my neighborhood, sends me a snapchat. I'm like, what's that And it's a bear just two blocks away, just running through neighbors and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, what the hell. He's like, I just saw a bear. And then like later that day it was like it made it one town over. They caught it, they tranked it and put it back in the wild.
Speaker 3: Well, that was like, I'm not gonna lie. So I live in Tennessee. I lived in Tennessee. My parents still lived there. Last time I even Becka went back to visit. My mom was like, it was like, now you gotta be careful outside and night. There's bears. I'm like, MoMA, there ain't no bears, and he say, no, no, they're sighting of bears now, like we have bears in these woods. Now, I'm like, what are you fucking kidding me like that? They no, no, no, I'm me seriously, you know what's called you You gotta be careful when you go out if you want to go outside and night. I'm like, well, first off, why am I going out side night wherever we go, I'm coming back and just staying at the house. I'm not going I don't need to go outside.
Speaker 1: I don't just frolic in the woods. I do all the time, not now because there's so many bears.
Speaker 3: But so back to the movie, Bear starts chasing them. They start running across the woods. They come across almost like a waterfall area, and they're like Okay, Well we do is we'll take this dead tree, we'll build a bridge, we'll get over the bridge. Yeah, and then what's called and then we'll the bear won't be able to follow us. And so first off, you get Bob goes.
Speaker 1: Bears never go into water, caver, they're not I don't know, you know, the bears they hate the water. They don't stay, they don't stand in streams of rivers all day long eating fish.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm not too sure, but I do remember seeing a bear riding a tricycle over a type rope once, so I'm pretty sure he could walk over the rock, over the dead tree.
Speaker 1: And this is this is the King Kong moment where the bear comes. That's great shaking the lot.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we got Steven gets over, Bob gets over. Then it's Charles's time. Charles ends up falling and he's holding on by a satchel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the flares in him. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so we end up getting this epic scene where Bob, who's trying to kill Charles, saves Charles's life. Yeah, and that's a big scene where he's like you saved me back there, He's like, well, yeah, well you know what would you expect me to He's like, He's like, yeah, but but you saved me. I owe you my life. He's like, well, yeah, I can't kill yet. You gotta get us out of this place.
Speaker 2: He's gotta put again. I I think he just wanted to murder Charles.
Speaker 1: I don't think he ever took it seriously until a point in the story where he's like, I can get away with it now.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I love you, Tony, but I feel like Bob is a does a lot of Tony moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah I need you right now, but later.
Speaker 1: No, this, if this was the end of the movie, if this was a Tony thing, I would have never even gotten on the plane.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, no, I'm not photographed.
Speaker 3: Uh so yeah, So Charles ends up saving what's hard.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Sorry, Tony, I'm talking to girl as a billionaire husband.
Speaker 2: I'm like, she's not leaving him for me. I'm done with sorry. Go.
Speaker 3: So Bob ends up saving Charles's life. They lose the satchel with the flares, but they still got the matches, so we're still okay at some point where we can still start fires and keep ourselves warm. They hide all the way through.
Speaker 2: The night into the morning.
Speaker 3: Uh. They they, you know, they they do stop at some points time because we see some like cool like transitions where it's like cold and they're up higher on the mountains and stuff like that. But they are walking and all of a sudden they see a fire that's been put out and they've literally just done a circle.
Speaker 2: Yeah. His uh what we're called his compass didn't work perfectly.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, well but here's the thing though, if it pointed them in a direction, if they just kept on walking straight, they wouldn't have turned into a circle.
Speaker 2: Once again in the woods.
Speaker 1: Though sometimes you don't know what way is true because trails aren't even and whatnot.
Speaker 3: So I can't just follow the river, yeah, really, to be honest, because that that is the whole point, Like after that fails, right, we just got to follow the river. It's like a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Always followed the river.
Speaker 1: There's a clearing, you hear a plane you can get in a clearing so they can see you, and said, they're like, well, time to go into the woods.
Speaker 3: Like no, and then so everyone's freaking out, you know, Bob's pissed. Steven is really freaking out. He's starting to lose it because he's put everyone so far has been putt all their confidence in Charles. Okay, well Charles knows a lot, so I guess we'll just listen to Charles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's also like he's never really practiced this exactly. Difference between that exactly, so.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know it's called in order to keep everyone calm. He's like, you know what, hey, Stephen, you know what I need. I need you to do me something. I need you to make spears. We need spears.
Speaker 2: Send off killing Stephen.
Speaker 3: He gives him the knife. He's like, you could do that, right, He's like whatever.
Speaker 2: And so, uh he should have said do you know how to whittle or carve?
Speaker 3: First off?
Speaker 2: How like was he doing like this? He's probably putting it on his leg again. I was a boy scout. Don't do that.
Speaker 3: No, it's always do it away, away, away and not like against no, no, no no, it's always away, always away. I went to one one boy scout meeting and that was one thing that I learned. Yeah, but yeah, so he ends up fucking gouging his thigh, yeah, straight open. Charles gets the bleeding to stop. He starts mending getting stuff like that, and he.
Speaker 2: Tells him, hey, this bloody thing, throw it away, bury it, bury it.
Speaker 3: Yes, Barry bury it, And for some goddamn reason, Bob just throws it and it gets stuck in the tree. Uh. And that's very important because that night, while they're all relaxing in the rain and trying to calm down and chill out, uh, we end up getting another bear attack. And this one is amazing.
Speaker 2: I love the reveal when he sees the things, like.
Speaker 3: Oh, and the thing is it's another reculting like it's it's like it's also good because when you see Bart the bear go to we don't get a lot of music, and it's just like kind of like silent, like it's just like bam, he's there.
Speaker 2: You just here like just rips him apart and it's just shaking him all over.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this this scene alone is worth like this scene alone is worth people watching, Like just that clip alone, Like you need to fut out what happens in the movie because I mean that I'm that's gotta be a dummy, right, that has to.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes it is a stunt man. It sweet because I feel like I saw a guy moving and well that was another thing.
Speaker 3: It is like I know, they can make really realistic dummies and stuff like that, like like I like, it's it's and they like the dummies can end up weighing like, you know, like fifty pounds.
Speaker 2: I mean they do.
Speaker 1: They've taught bears how to box and wrestle, so they probably got barta bear to just shake.
Speaker 2: A stunt man back, not like attacking true shake. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because his arms are front. I mean, he's going everywhere and it's it's great because then he throws him and then it cuts back to him laying down and he's looking at his like blood is eric, there's just chunks of meat on his thigh. That now that scene was burned into my brain. I was little because that's and I always, you know, I make that joke a lot where like when like someone just can't catch a fucking break, I always make reference to.
Speaker 2: This movie.
Speaker 3: Steven just can't catch him break and it just straights up murders him. Yeah, just murders him. So Charles and Bob are able to get away. All right, it's next morning, and that's when, like I said, we get to the thing it's like, all right, where we need to find the river. Uh, that is our only way to get out of here. But we get this moment where like Bob's like I understand that, but we need to eat, like we we we've been going on a couple of days without food.
Speaker 2: We need to do something. So Uh.
Speaker 3: Charles ends up making a little like basket to catch a squirrel.
Speaker 2: And also like luckily there just happened to be a squirrel on that log that one day, and he's he uses like.
Speaker 3: I guess, like a nut or something. I don't know, a walnut or something. I don't know what he uses the lure the squirrel. But we get this great moment of him in his little makeshift box and he captures the squirrel.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And right as they celebrate, we hear a helicopter. Yes, a helicopter shows up and they are like, all right, fuck this, let's go where the helicopter is going. They run out to this giant, beautiful clearing waving down the helicopter. And it was always funny when like when a helicopter goes by and people are yelling at it, like you know, that thing can't fuck.
Speaker 2: They can't hear you no way, No, no, you get you get even.
Speaker 3: Really once you're on a helicopter, can you have conversations back and forth with him? No, you need like the radio exactly exactly. So unfortunately it flies right past them. Uh, and Ballot Bawlin's like, well, they got to come back. He's like nope, and he's like, basal protocol. They already cleared this area, they didn't find anything. They won't be coming back, so we have to make our way to the river. So after this point we basically uh see them head off and they head back to their their uh, their path to the river. They lost the squirrels, so now we're gonna try to find another way to catch some food. They're gonna use some kind of like uh they use a link of the chain of the watch that he got, And it's kind of fun. I like seeing this part of the movie with them using things on them to do the survival that nothing else, nothing else, nothing else. This is like which one was, uh, which one was literally was it man versus while he was just dropped with nothing or was that survival man? Which one was the tea?
Speaker 2: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: One of them was like he was just completely dropped. I think it was man verse will with nothing but this close on his I.
Speaker 2: Remember one, Yeah, I remember one of the guys faked something.
Speaker 1: That was that, the one with the He's like, there's this path lay of this rock and it's fun. It's like made out of buck and it's very very uh unstable, and you can collapse and he jumps on.
Speaker 2: He's like, okay, I'm okay, that would have been bad.
Speaker 1: And then it cuts like a real guy who went to the same place and he just walks on it normally and the caravan's over there's like a huge highway.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that was man versus.
Speaker 3: What was his whole thing was teach you how to survive in those scenarios. He wasn't actually surviving in those scenarios. Uh. The survival man went into a scenario with a camera and was trying to actually stay the night and live man versuall, which is they would film on location and then he would just stay at a like holiday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not that you should expect any of those to be real, no, no, But so.
Speaker 3: He ends up creating a fishing lure from the chain and a like thorn or some shit like that from a from a tree branch or whatever, and they're in their way and they're trying to catch a fish. Uh and I be damn it, that bear don't show up again. Yea, that goddamn bear.
Speaker 2: It just won't leave them alone.
Speaker 3: Now, no, Lotan, this monster won't.
Speaker 2: It's like jewels. It's jewels with clothes. Apparently.
Speaker 3: I will say this movie like it's funny, like you could low key like you know how like uh like the Italians or like with like like the LaCosta series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like not like La Costa.
Speaker 3: One, LaCosta two is evil Dead one evil that too, and then La Costa three is not anything to do with it. You can definitely like another Cony rebrand. This is like Grizzly three, because there is a Grizzly too with Martin Sheen. But you can definitely like pull this off as like in another country this could be called Grizzly three. But yeah, so they end up the bear comes right back and he basically chases Anthony Hopkins. Oh yeah, this is when we get the branch c g I scenes where it's clearly not branches. But I mean it's not too bad.
Speaker 2: It's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you know what's called it like, if you're watching it in like a really good version of it on VHS, you probably wouldn't pople tell the.
Speaker 1: Different I couldn't tell my VHS blown up onto a big four K TV look fine, look.
Speaker 2: Fine to me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we get there this scene where it's really like we said earlier, like when prey, where like he's literally trapped down by the bear uh and he ends up breaking free, uh and he ends up running down uh to meet what with Bob And he's there right yeah, he's like, hey, mon Kella, because a mind kell he's got taste for flesh. Yes, he's been hunting us the whole time.
Speaker 1: That asshole at the bars or the cabin said, is coming true. God damn it, everything is coming true.
Speaker 3: So they do they do the whole big fire scene with like basically their campuses with fire all around it, so like to lure off the bear. So the next morning they're gonna basically they're they have this big scene where they're gonna be like, all right, well, what are we gonna do, Charles? We can't hunt? Well, what's called we can't We can't feed ourselves. It's it's hunting us. What are we gonna do And then that's when he comes up with like, we're gonna kill it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna kill it. Tell me you're gonna kill the math. Yeah, they're gonna go. Well, one man could do an nothing can do. Well, I'm not gonna do another can do kill a bear?
Speaker 1: And I love one of my favorite quotes of all time, my favorite Anthony Hopkins quote of all time.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna kill the motherfucker. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I watched that as a seven year old. I'm like that, it's the coolest guy in the world.
Speaker 2: Boy, he said there.
Speaker 3: He's like, He's liked, well, what are we gonna do, Charles, how are you gonna kill this bear? We're gonna LuSE him. He's like, we're gonna what, We're gonna louse him? Well, how are we gonna lure him? He said there, He's like, he's like, in Africa, what's called they used to the pygmy kids used to smack the bears in the face and then they would bring them in to attack, to to tack them with a dead fall. He's like, yeah, that's how they did it.
Speaker 2: We gotta do it because they don't have a dead fall.
Speaker 3: So they come up with the idea. It's like, we're gonna create spears, We're gonna lure the bear into us, and then we're gonna kill it. Instead of it hunting us, we're gonna try to get it. Uh, we're trying to get it to like actually hunt us, but set a trap for it. So Charles and Bob end up creating this dead fall, like like the scenario where the bear. They're waiting for the bear to show up. He does show up as just like as I promise, they create this pendulum swing style like staked ball, which ends up setting off the trap. It goes right past the bear, but on the on the comeback actually follows through and hits the bear.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 3: They send the bear down throughout the woods on this like little like path that they've already planned out to the point where they're going to then put be like their backs up against a big branch and that's where their spears are at, and you're ready for it before he can get there. Uh, Charles and Bob start fighting it and the bear gets Bob really good one. Yeah, which is crazy because like I don't like it's weird when you find out like how much damage a bear can actually do persons like actually bear videos like being attacked. It's like murder machine.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's weird.
Speaker 3: Literally, their claws literally go through skin like butter. Yeah, they're so fucking strong, dude. I was looking at bear facts and like yeah, because Bart was like, that's grizzly Man after this. Oh no, I can't, I can't.
Speaker 2: You can't wait.
Speaker 3: Grizzly Man?
Speaker 2: Is that the is that the documentary? At the documentary? Now, I can't.
Speaker 3: Why not because the video at the end they don't play it. Oh okay, Oh wait, do you think they actually played the murder? I've listened to it because it's only audio, it's not video.
Speaker 2: Well that's no.
Speaker 1: In the the audio is released ever, yeah, the documentary Sorry spoiler for grizzly Man, but the guy died.
Speaker 2: Uh No.
Speaker 1: The the documentary ends with Brener Herzog playing the audio for his girlfriend. But it's in her spit only she can hear it. You don't actually hear any of the audio or anything.
Speaker 3: No, the audios because we're of the audios, man, rease, I listened to it. It's been released by not in the documentary.
Speaker 1: No, the documentary, like we'ren't a Herzog literally in the documentary is like you should destroy this tape and never and then she released it anyway, but the actual documentary doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one thing. Is like some of the audio that they play in the movie where the bear's attacking Steve and it sounds like it sounds like fucking Reale.
Speaker 1: I think we're crizly Man is like when he keeps videotaping the bear that does eventually kill him, and you tell that bear is like not cool like the other bears, and it's just like that bear doesn't like you. You better like fuck off with that bear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: What's the dude, what was that movie? What's the movie with the family and all the fucking lines in their house?
Speaker 1: Oh roar, Yeah, with the famous actors they try to make up a and like there were so many on set injury.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they started filming the movie without actually having a script or anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was just like U rasonally.
Speaker 1: Man's good though, because you get to see like footage like the bears fighting and stuff, and they are they're pretty brutal.
Speaker 3: No, it's crazy, and like I think it h bart stood at twelve feet tall on his hind legs. Yeah, like I said, he's seventeen hundred pounds. I mean, it's ridiculous, and it's like it I was like this movie, like if you did do this today, there's no way they would have a real bear.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: But that's the reason why this movie is.
Speaker 1: Good is because they have a screened yeah yeah, and then poorly photo show poorly like cropped into the scene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would be a whole thing, but they would just motion capture it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know, it's it's just one of those things where it's like it's the that like this movie is exciting and fun, but I think when you think about those pivotal scenes in this especially this scene at the very end where we see a lot of bart and bright daylight with them attacking them and them fighting them off, Like those scenes are so beautifully shot, and yeah, it's it's a silly movie, but like that scene alone is like it's still a cool scene, you know what I mean. I mean, like the overall concept of the movie is funny and ridiculous, but that scene alone is like, oh no, there's some actually good shit here. But yeah, So Bob's down and a bear starts going after Charles, and Charles is able to complete the plan, stabs them right through the chan lands right on the spear, right on the spear. Bob gets up, thanks, Charles is dead, uh, because he's just sitting there. And then he finds out you know, Charles killed the bear. Yeah, which is you know, a really fun scene.
Speaker 2: I mean cut to them wearing the bear skin and I'm like, wait, do they have the tools to do that in the knife? They have the knife, but don't you have to do something to the skin underneath, right you? What do they call it? Well?
Speaker 3: You have to you Well, first off, you have really to be able to wear it without it smelling and be stinky. You have to dry it out first. You can't just wear a carcass, a bear's carcass on you. I mean you five flies all over you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like you have to skin it, but they have to you have to do something to it. But I don't think they have the materials.
Speaker 3: No, you would definitely the skin itself has to dry. Yeah, And to be honest, I don't know if that knife could do everything that they did. They really don't, or if they did or if they could, they are not equipped to knowing how to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean. And they're eating the bear too, right, Yeah, well that's.
Speaker 3: You know, what's a really good Okay, a movie that does it really good? Is uh uh the was it the Wild?
Speaker 1: Just about the Christopher mccandles. Yeah, that's how he died. He tried to eat an elk or a moose or something.
Speaker 3: Well, he ate a plant and miss apparently misread the plant. He ate a poisonous plant that was not okay, But he tried.
Speaker 2: He tried to kill like an elk or kill it, but he.
Speaker 3: Couldn't salvage the meat before the flies got to and which was tainted. Because Zach Galanakis is in that who teaches it, Like I said, that's real, like that would happen. Like these guys are not hunters. They they aren't like they've never hunted anything in their life. But anyway, so yeah, they end up making new jackets.
Speaker 2: You kind of think unrealistic with the time frame, but we'll go with it. We'll just go with it. We'll go with it.
Speaker 3: They bear, they bear at the end, And it's funny because at one point where he's like, he's like, I really wish I had some salt. And he's like, you know what, you can season your food with gunpowder. I'm like, usually they give that to dogs to make them go crazy. I'm not too sure you can season your food with gunpowder.
Speaker 2: I mean you can, should you probably not? You can. Look, there's a lot of things you can do. There's a lot of things you should do. Well. The funny thing is all of Charles is saying you can jump over that railing right now. I'm not going to. Well.
Speaker 3: The thing is all the things that Charles, all of his sayings throughout this film, are completely useless for this scenario they're in, Like what my side hurts, go spit underneath the rock?
Speaker 2: What you know? You can make fire from ice? It's like, can you fuck you? Yeah you can?
Speaker 3: But like, I don't got any fucking ice right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Shut up?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Read like a trivia book relaxed.
Speaker 3: So they end up making their way through the woods and they come across the cabin. Yeah there's a cabin.
Speaker 2: Was it the hunter's cabin?
Speaker 3: That I assumed that because the canoe it was new, it wasn't old canoe. Yeah, it didn't say it was, but I assumed that that was bear.
Speaker 2: Like I think, so I forget if it was that guy's cabin, that thing they never.
Speaker 3: Can I rewatched this morning. Nothing was confirmed, like there's no like in England, like actually he finds something that would have that person. But they did have a gun that was relatively like in good shape, two guns that were in good shape. So clearly it is somebody's cabin. Yeah, so I think it was just maybe implied that was the bear the bear like cabin.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So they end up going in there and they start around. They start getting like the supplies and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like no phone or anything is no, no, no.
Speaker 3: There's no phone. There's a I mean, there's some medical stuff. There's a map. So they're able to find the actual lake that they need to get onto, and they find, oh, the lake will take us right to where we need to go. And we get the scene where Bob's like, well, how about we check make sure the canoe floats first. They go outside, they check the canoe and this is when Charles goes back inside and we get this weird look from Bob who looks.
Speaker 2: Back and you're like, are you then?
Speaker 3: And this is that the moviego, You're like, are you really going to try to fucking kill him? Yeah, you're really going to try to fucking kill them or something with the watch, right, we haven't met that yet. That's right before we find out about the watch. But we just first we get this weird look from Bob. They go inside, and then we get the watch scene where he he's opening up. I guess he's trying to use a Oh. I think he's gonna try to make some tea, so he need to burn something. So he's gonna burn the paper from the uh, from inside the case that held the knife. It's the receipt from the watch. Yeah, both watches, Bob's new watch and it and it says, uh to Bob from Mickey for.
Speaker 2: All the nights, lady, don't.
Speaker 3: You're just trying to get called.
Speaker 2: Don't get your husband and your like side piece, Uh the same. Why what are you doing? What are you doing? Yeah? Not a good plan.
Speaker 3: That's like people that cheat on like Facebook Messenger and just don't delete them because like they'll never go my Facebook Messenger.
Speaker 2: They're kind of going. College Tony ran into this issue.
Speaker 1: College Tony ran into like they're not gonna go through my Facebook message spoilers.
Speaker 2: So that's what we learn.
Speaker 1: Don't engrave your watch when you're having an affair and lock out a Facebook messenger.
Speaker 2: So Bob comes back in. He's drinking.
Speaker 3: He finds a thing of whiskey or something. He starts drinking it, pounding it back kind of fast, and the gears are turning and Charles is like, hey, uh, Bob, let me see your watch. He's like, I told you it's busted.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: It's like Bob just starts going on this weird little tangent for like no reason, like he's irritated about something, and it is kind of cool. Like I will say, this movie is is ridiculous, but they did do good job at editing because we see Bob put two bullets into the gunyah at the end when he anthiopics discharges the gun, he really just discharges two bullets. That's pretty good call for a movie like this, Like they did pay it a little bit attention to detail. But he's like, let me see your watch, he's like, and then that's when he goes off and he's like, I don't even know why she's with you.
Speaker 2: How did you get her? How did you get her? And I would not be thinking about any of this shit.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Two men just died. I just got a fucking bear. I want to go home.
Speaker 3: And well, this is when he gets the balls and he's like, he's like, he's gonna kill him. He's loading the gun and fucking Charles just like he's like, what, you can't do it? Sober? He's like, all right, Charles, gots on, got.
Speaker 2: So on, don't look at me, don't look at me.
Speaker 3: And he takes him outside and he goes to fucking fucking kill Charles with the gun.
Speaker 1: You had so many opportunities to like kill him in the wilderness, and you already do the gun, which will be whoever owns that gun will be like, yeah, it did fire off around I wasn't here though, so it must have been those guys. Well.
Speaker 3: He also, if you notice, he takes all of his clothes off and puts that jacket on that's in there, So I don't know if he like, I don't know why he takes all his bear skin stuff off and to put that jacket on, like maybe like like like he wasn't there. I don't know, so, but yeah, and it's funny because before this we did see Anthony Hopkins like look at the ground. For some reason, we don't know what he was looking and he's just staring at the ground. Well, uh, I guess while Charles is too busy pussy footing around on actually killing sorry, while Bob, while Bob is actually worried about like killing Charles. He backs up and falls right into the death trap.
Speaker 2: Yep, there was a dead fall there. He's like, oh, Charles, oh god, cha can't take my legs broken. You can't ask for help for the guy you were just trying to kill. Like Luckily, Anthony Hopkins is nice, child is nice. Fine, He like, ah, like I'd be like, okay, this one's on. They Oh my Chiles.
Speaker 3: It's so funny because it's just like really, dude, like you just tried to kill him. But yeah, you're right. Anthony Hopkins is like, you know, all right, we're gonna get out here. We're gonna get out of here. He goes down there, pulls him out, He suites his wound. I mean, he is clearly well he.
Speaker 2: Pulls the thing out of him, right, Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 3: Now you're supposed to that and you can break it off. I know you're supposed to leave because once you pull it out, whatever is keeping some of the bloody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that leaks out like arrows and stuff like, you can cut the arrow, but don't pull it out because.
Speaker 2: You're in it.
Speaker 1: You have to be in a hospital. They need to clamp sat down. You can't just be like, oh, let me just pull this out. Actually, the clown in the Cornfield movie did that pretty funny recently where he gets stabbed in the neck of the docks, like, no, don't pull it out.
Speaker 3: He's like, come on, So he is like saving him. He gets he sutures his wound or whatever. Uh, and he puts them on the canoe and he ends up basically trying to survive, you know, serve continue to survive and save both of them and end up heading down the river and they get to this like little clearing area where uh we see a helicopter. The helicopter shows up and you know, we get Charles. He's basically he's like, Bob, we made it, we got it. Hold on one second, I'll be right back. Runs after the helicopter and he's almost going to fly away, but it turns right back around, comes down. He goes back to get Charles. Uh, sorry, Charles going back to get Bob.
Speaker 2: Bob's dead.
Speaker 3: Bob's dead, Bob is dead. This this scene reminds me of like, oh my god, have you ever seen Midnight Cowboy? I think I have, but I'm not enough to recall with Dustin Hoffman. Yeah, what's ANTHONYA. Jolie? What's her death name?
Speaker 2: John boy John boyd. Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: There's a scene where, like at the end of that movie, it's the same thing, like they're trying to get somewhere. So because Dustin Hoffman's sick with the flu.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he dies it. Seinfeld made fun of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where Cramer gets the nose fleet again and he's hugging it.
Speaker 3: Oh but yeah, so the helicopter comes back around, we get Charles. One thing Bob does say before he dies, he tells Charles, I want you to know Mickey had nothing to do with any this.
Speaker 2: This is all on me. And uh, we get Charles.
Speaker 3: He goes back to he goes into back to the lake and everybody's there, news is fucking there and stuff like that, and they're all asking him, you know, well, how do you survive?
Speaker 2: How did you how did you survive.
Speaker 3: And he basically does a good person thing and he's just like says, like, you know, I survived because they saved me. Yeah, they saved me. That's how I survive the ones that are you know, dead, Yeah, oh whatever, And the movie ends, cut credits.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. Great movie. Great movie. Maybe not the most realistic. Don't take any advice for this movie if you're stuck in the wild Uh, but no, per I love this movie. Every time we put it on, I have a good time.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie because he is as a man.
Speaker 3: You're like, I want to be out in the wilderness and stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm stuck inside all day. I want to go fight a bear.
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, this movie and Ghosts in the Darkness, Uh, Ghosts and the Darkness ghost Yeah, and the Darkness.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. I made the same mistake. Don't worry. I kept saying Ghosts in the Darkness.
Speaker 3: Those two movies are so fun. Yeah, it's it's just like it's like I said, you put it on and you're gonna have a good time. Yes, it's it does have like a crazy, like high brow plot, but it's just fun.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's it's and I oh see.
Speaker 3: You know this movie didn't really make a lot of money when they made it. Then if they remade it, well did did the great?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: Did that go to theaters?
Speaker 2: So that was great on the theaters. I saw it in theaters. Great is really good. I was disappointed with the ending.
Speaker 1: M hm. Did one of those like it ended like right when a big fight was about to happen. It it makes sense for the story, the story they were telling, like I understood it. But when all the advertisements were Nikola uh yeah, Liam Neeson, yeah getting ready you thought you were getting That's the problem with the advertisement. If I never saw the advertisements in I'd be like, beautiful movie, great ambiguous ending. But the advertisers just like he's gonna fight that wolf, like yeah that he get there, like there's no fight, damn damn.
Speaker 2: But it's a similar idea.
Speaker 1: Uh they crash, wolves are hunting them. So I mean they do fight some of the wolves and killed the wolves and it's picking.
Speaker 2: Them off one by one. Uh so yeah, that's probably the closest thing I've seen to the edge. Yeah in modern time. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I mean these like I I would say it like these movies, these kind of thrillers are just there. There's a lot in the nineties that I really want to do and like not that and not that aren't like Animal really like I love Single White Female, That Moyvie's fantastic. That's a really good movie. Yeah, Fatal Attraction, Basic inst All, those are good. Uh, those kind of just like like good like even like, uh, this is like two thousands ish, but like you know, Unfaithful that's.
Speaker 2: A great man. That was a good one, great one.
Speaker 3: Thrillers just it sucks because like I don't know how this movie will do as far on the channel. But like, movies like this are really fun to talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're great, They're great, and I feel like we need more of them. I agree.
Speaker 3: I like, like I love my horror, but really a good thriller, Like the last really good thriller I saw was the Liam Neilson one, The Head Above the Tombstones or something like that.
Speaker 1: Oh, Walk Amongst the Tumbes amongst Yeah, I watched that once. I remember liking it. I can't remember too much about it.
Speaker 3: It's basically him trying to find a serial killer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's trying to find a serial killer. He's got like a little black kid that he's helping. Yeah, I remember that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, David Harbor.
Speaker 3: Was he the bad guy?
Speaker 2: He was? He was?
Speaker 3: I think it was two bad guys. I think because he was one of them. In order for the murders to happen, they needed two people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's I don't know. I just feel like, like I agree with you, like we need we need more of these kind of style movies.
Speaker 2: And I'm like man versus Nature ones. I like them.
Speaker 3: They're fun. Yeah, And I mean really, that's all I say. You have any closing comments you want to.
Speaker 1: Make, I just you know, I really relate to the scene in the movie where he thinks everyone forgot his birthday, and I'm feeling it now.
Speaker 2: I just feel like you forgot this episode from you know what, Tony?
Speaker 3: What the crazy thing about that it is September nineteenth? Yes, and that is your birthday?
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 3: And you know what, although you did not forget your birthday? WHOA what better way to spend your birthday on talking about one of your favorite movies.
Speaker 1: I can't, but I was wondering what those candles burning were the whole time. Underneath the table. I thought you were just very unsafe and enjoy fire hazards. I didn't know all this is amazing.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Happy birthday, Tony. You know, thank you.
Speaker 1: On my birthday, people usually hijack my channel or anything, so I have to escape to someone else's channel to actually do a birthday for few.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Okay, I made a wish hold on Sydney. I was I wish for Cidney Swaeney. Maybe it don't come true later, we don't know when they're supposed to go.
Speaker 3: I think there's a time limit.
Speaker 2: I think fate is putting the wheels in motion for me to meet her. And that's it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I wish just take a lot of energy so the University's did like he's a like you know, like like pull all that energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah it'll work out. But no, thank you so much. And this is great to hang out with you talking about the Edge. I fucking love the Edge.
Speaker 3: All right, Tony, Tell everybody where they can find it.
Speaker 1: You can find me over on Hack the Movies, Uh, check me out on YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Consider becoming a Patreon supporter. Even at the free tier.
Speaker 1: That way you get in the POW podcast for free and sometimes it auto upgrades you and uh yeah, it's a really good time. So hack the movies on YouTube, Patreon dot com slash hacked Movies. You will find me there, same thing with all my socials.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All right, that's it for today's episode sixty seven The Edge, directed by Lee Tomilhorre. Thanks for stopping by hanging out with us. Let us know in the comments. Have you seen the movie?
Speaker 2: Did you like it?
Speaker 3: And maybe what new Man versus Nature movie you want to see us review next. But until next time, I'm logan, I'm turning from hacking movies and thanks for renting from the villa year