Speaker 1: Something you should go. Something you should know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldr dot com. Excited to have a guest today. Dana Isam Johnson and she is a trend expert works with Etsy. She's also a jog on NBC's Emmy nominated series Making It with Amy Poehler and a co host on YouTube's Instant Influencer. So what I'm saying is she kind of knows style.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm always like two trends behind Dana.
Speaker 2: People are really moving away from the one size fits all approach and really embracing gifts that reflect their own style, their own traditions. But one of the standout trends that I'm really loving from this past holiday trend report is called Nonah Holiday, and it's all about celebrating nostalgias, celebrating family traditions. So think about transporting yourself back to Grandma's kitchen and then making it your own. So one item that I'm really loving are these recipe boards, so you can work directly with an Etsy seller, send a picture of one of your family's recipes, and they will then transfer it onto either a cutting board, a cake stand, a breadbasket, warmer, a tea towel, all of these things that really allow you to cement your family memories but also bring it into today and allow you to take your own personal twist on it.
Speaker 1: I've actually seen those before. I've seen some where they'll find like a cool font and they'll print it on there. But my favorites are the one where it's like grandma's handwriting on grandma's recipe card. And now the cool thing is usually you know only one person gets to inherit that from gramma. Right, Well, now, if there's twelve grandkids, they can all get something like this made for their kitchen and it's special for each and every one of.
Speaker 2: Them exactly exactly. So it is really about cementing those those memories. And I think you know, this is the year that you want that person in your life to feel seen, to feel like you bought this item just for them. You feel good about the purchase, you're supporting a small business, and again you're really allowing those memories to live on.
Speaker 1: We're rolling into the holidays of twenty twenty five. We're almost ready to turn the page to twenty twenty six, and you guys already have the color of the year twenty twenty six, and I see the first ever texture of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we announced that Patina blue is our twenty twenty sixth color of the year. It's beautifully weathered, it's time worn. It's still that vibrant blue, but it's aged by copper. And so I really love it because it has that lived in field and honestly, it's really a breath of fresh air. It's a sense of calmness that I think we all kind of want in our lives right now. And then, for the first time ever, we are announcing the texture of the year, and that texture of the year is washed linen. And again it pairs really nice with Petina blue because it's effortless. It allows you to bring this texture not only into your home, but also into your wardrobe. Still lived in. It's grievable and it's not too fussy. It's really allowing you to live in that comfort.
Speaker 1: And the cool thing is this is for twenty twenty six. So if you buy this for somebody for the holidays this year, you're kind of setting them up, like you know, in advance, absolutely.
Speaker 2: And also you're keeping them ahead of the curve. So I like that you are feeling cool yourself. And look, it is just like our etc. Sellers. I love that our sellar community is ahead of the curve when it comes to trends. They don't have to follow the traditional guidelines of those big box retailers. They really allow their creativity to fly freely, and then our community of buyers get a chance to discover that and support them and then gift it to their loved ones.
Speaker 1: And one of the cool things about Etsy, since we're talking about that, is it's a great way to support people who are small businesses. And sometimes these are like micro small businesses where they work from home and they do this as a hobby and a lot of the time people will start doing this as like a side hustle and then it turns into such a big thing that that's their main gig now oh one d percent.
Speaker 2: And I love the fact that there's no one size fits model for success on Etsy, because to your point, you can literally be doing this as just a creative outlet for something fun that you love to do. But there are so many sellers that I, you know, have built relationships with over the years who just started this thing as a creative outlet and then it became their full time business and now they are a complete business, you know, and working to fulfill and untapped dream that they didn't even know they had.
Speaker 1: And for people who are saying, hey, John, I want to shop local, guess what I love that. I love it when people shop local. And the cool thing is on Etsy, you can find people in your area who are selling on Etsy, so you can absolutely shop local through that as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, those filters set the filter to where you want to shop from and support that area. The other wonderful thing too, is you know, you don't have to leave your couch to travel the world if you want to shop on ets across the pond, so you can not only tap into your local communities, but also say, Okay, I'm not getting on a plane to go across the world, but I can shop you know, France, from right here on my couch.
Speaker 1: I love it. Dana, Thank you so much for taking the time to chat today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Happy holidays to you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely again Dana Issam Johnson. She's a trend expert with ETS dot com. In addition to that, she's also a judge on NBC's Emmy nominated series Making It with Amy Poehler, and she's a co host on YouTube's Instant Influencer. If you would like to learn more about ETS, their website is ETS E T S y ets dot com. And Something you Should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by Genesis gold Ira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at Genesis gooldra dot com.