Speaker 1: Well, there you have it. The dueling speeches spent a long night, folks, welcome back to Nightside. My name's Dan Ray. Rob Brooks is ready to get your calls. What I want to do, frankly, is get your quick response and report card, if you will, on Donald Trump's speech. So I'm going to try to do something a little different tonight. The President spoke for an hour and forty minutes, and Alisa Slotnik, the Senator from Michigan, gave a much briefer and more direct response. She spoke for a little over ten minutes a President Trump. It was a wild scene in a wale wild night tonight. So that's let me just go to the phone call six one, seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. My quick take on this was that there was a Democratic congressman named Al Green from Texas who made an absolute fool of himself. Looked like an old man shaking his cane in anger. He was eventually ejected from the House floor. Remember, I don't know several years ago when there was a representative from South Carolina, a Republican named Joe Wilson, who broke the decorum at the Senate, and he yelled out during a State of the Union speech by President Obama, you lie, and people were shocked at that. It just was not acceptable. Al Green went way beyond that tonight, whatever standard Wilson said, and Green was a fool. Uh and and he showed himself to be a fool. And it's a disgrace that he's a member of Congress. But President Trump went on, there was some news tonight in the speech actually when he said at about ten forty that they would this country would reclaim the Panama Canals. Had two US companies have been buying both ports around, buying both of the ports around Panama Canal, which is new. And he also talked about the abbey Gate terrorist the leader of the Abbygate Terrorist Act, which took the lives of thirteen American service personnel and indured dureds injured dozens of others. In the day that US forces left Kabul, Afghanistan, he also talked and the story has been out in the last few hours that apparently the rough, raucous White House meeting has resulted with President Zelenski has resulted in an agreement which may be the first step, just the first step towards ending the war between New in Russia. Long way to go on that. Look, President Trump hit every topic you can imagine. I just want to go to phone calls. That's all I want to hear from from now until midnight. I've been listening all night. I'm prepared to listen to you, guys. Let's go to Matt and Florida. First. Matt, you are first this hour, this abbreviated hour on Nightside. What did you think tonight?
Speaker 2: That that was the best political speech I've ever witnessed in my life. That was amazing. Everything he said was one hundred percent on point, and anyone who could no one could disagree with anything. If you disagree with anything he did tonight, you're just an enemy of America. Quite honestly. I mean the Democrats, I don't think they'll win another elections for thirty six years. Quite frankly, they're disgrace. I mean, I can't believe I ever call. I mean didn't really not Democrats anymore. I don't even know what they are. They're disgrace. But that was an amazing speech. That's all I got to say. And yeah, thanks Dan, well, thanks very much, Matt.
Speaker 1: It certainly was I think an amazing presentation. Whether people agreed or disagreed with it, obviously there's a lot of Democrats. I think that Democrats made a mistake tonight sitting over their hands. I think that there were points that could have been acknowledged. But I think the enmity, the animis that exists between President Trump and the Democrats is is it can't be any way, shape or form changed. I listened to the response from Senator slot Nek from Michigan. She spoke, she's rational, She's a rational Democrat. I don't think Chuck Schumer is any more rational democrat. I think that they basically had paved the way for Donald Trump. For those of you who disagree with me, feel free six one seven four ten thirty or six one seven nine three one ten thirty. Let me go to Mike and Beverly. Mike, your your your reaction to the speech tonight? Go right ahead, Mike, Yeah, good, anything good? I'm doing great. Yes, I can hear you once you start to talk. Right ahead, Mike, what's on your mind?
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: Trump did an awesome job. I think he was right on time. Yet stuff like that, you know, right on point and deliver an exceptional pot point. You know, he told to be a little bit rocky point right now, you know, but it will be smaller right as things going. Yeah, people don't forget he's been in office forty four days. He's not gonna produced to grow the inflation in forty four days. I get it. It was a lot of us from the buying and metistration stuff like that. You know that again, I'm.
Speaker 1: More interesting again the campaign is over. I'm looking for your reaction tonight. Was there anything that Donald Trump said tonight that that troubled you. The one thing that he did not talk about tonight that I thought he would talk about is the looming government shutdown and whether or not the death ceiling will be increased. He talked about Ukraine. Seems to be some pride risk there. He explained his position on the tariffs. He went quite a while, and all of the excesses that the DOGE has uncovered. At the same time, it's to me very interesting that he read off a lot of statistics and I would like to see the backup proof of those. I mean, all this stuff about people being on so security, their names being listed when they're one hundred years old, or one hundred and ten years or one hundred and twenty years old. I'd like to see a little backup on that, Mike.
Speaker 3: Gosh, it's so scurity administration. I believe Dan, that's what I'll getting folks.
Speaker 1: He's getting it from Elon Musk's folks at DOGE, and I just would like to see in paper. I'd like to see it confirmed. That's all. That's that's all.
Speaker 3: I suppose you could see it all on those websites too, But I'm going to look like exactly while I go hometown. I'm on the way home now, but I'm a look, I'll probably but I believe Okay.
Speaker 1: So you give him you got to give him an A plus, I'll bet you.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely, Yeah, definitely, thank.
Speaker 1: You so much. I thanks, thank you, Mike. Appreciate your call. Rick and Bill, Rick and next on nights, I go ahead, Rick, all right, then, Yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Speech, I thought it was a good speech. I think he blows it, blows his horn a lot, and there's no proof that any of what he says is going to work. But I appreciate, you know, the effort that he's trying to put through such as you know, closing the border in recent time are closing it up hell a lot better in recent days and in years, and then calling the cartels for whom they really are, terrorists and enemies of the state. And I like that. I like the getting the woke out of the ideology out of the schools and focusing on education instead of all the the the extra stuff that you know, doesn't be young kids, especially young kids, don't need to be taught. They could be talked about later on.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting, I like to get your reaction. They were two young people who he in effect, the thirteen year old boy from Texas who was there with his dad and apparently wants to be a police officer when he grows up. And he apparently, I think, the President said, had suffered from brain cancer at the age of five but has recovered. And he basically brought out the head of the Secret Service to present the young man with I guess, I don't know if he's on the payroll, but a membership in the Secret Service. And then there was a young guy who was a high school athlete whose goal was to get into West Point, and the President informed him that he had been accepted West Point.
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah, I didn't understand, but go on, go on. No.
Speaker 1: I thought those were just amazing moments. Obviously, a president has a lot of pull, and if he spoke to the on behalf of this young man to get him accepted to west Point, you could see the shock on the kid's face, an eighteen year old kid being told you want to go to west Point. You're going to go to west Point. Did you see that or did you understand?
Speaker 5: How why?
Speaker 4: I don't got my TV working, but I heard it on the radio because I had it on, and I thought, well, I thought that was that was good. But I thought the kid. I thought he got into west Point and he was letting him know, and the kid knew. I guess I didn't really the kid.
Speaker 1: It would be no. It would be like when when you receive your your college the letter where you apply to college, or you apply to law school, or you apply to anything, and you get that letter in your hand, and you know, you get to open it and he either says congratulations or you know, we are sorry to inform you. I just thought it was great to see a young man be accepted to west Point and to be to learn about it from the president of the United States.
Speaker 6: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a pretty effective moment.
Speaker 4: I thought, yeah, no, I'm sure sure. And the other kid, I guess he was an honorary police officer. But he's going into the CIA.
Speaker 1: Well, it's one thing. It's one thing for police agents, for the police partmans to present, you know, a little badge to a to a little boy. But he brought out the head of the secret service and supposedly made the kid a secret service and an honorary secrets I don't think the kids on the payroll must probably would be upset if if you put a thirteen year year old on the payroll. Hey, Rick, I enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 4: Want to I'll totally let you go. I didn't like seeing him talking about will get Greenland no matter what however he put it. I wasn't a fan of that. I think he ought to leave that alone unless they're interested. So I think what he I.
Speaker 1: Think what he said was and I listened pretty close, pretty closely. At that point, I said that we're going to allow the people of Greenland to make their decision. If I don't know that, yeah, it's owned is owned, is owned by the by the Nation of Denmark. So I don't know that Greenland. It would be like if if the president of the Prime Minister of Denmark said, we're gonna let the people of Massachusetts decide if they want to become, you know, part of Denmark. I think right it was that was I thought it was a little tongue in cheek Panama. I think he's much more serious about to be really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe I don't get his humor all the time, but he blows his horn a lot before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's his own best. He's his own best PR guy, no doubt. All right, Hey, Rick, I do got a run and we're in the news. Thanks buddy, appreciate it. All right, The only line is open. We have one line open at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. If you can fill that, we'll have full lines and we'll be back in just a couple of minutes. Right after the news here on a an abbreviated night side Here on the night of the President's addressed to Congress and the response by Democratic senator from Michigan Senator Alissa Slotnik. Back after this one night side.
Speaker 5: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep rolling here. We're going to just try to get as many folks as we Ken Dean and Gloucester. Dean next on nightside. Go right ahead, Dean.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's biking the call.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna go Can you hand it again?
Speaker 1: I can hear. I hear you perfectly. Go right ahead.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I'm not going to go as far to say that it was a flaw of speech. Definitely rambled a little bit to do that. He does. He does boast a little bit. I want to you know, there's so much that he got into. I was just glad that everything was pretty much positive. I kind of wish you'd ease up a little bit on attacking the Democrats. We all know what they did, but if it's crazy what they did did it really is kind of like, you know, so the common sense stuff that he promised he would change, he did. You know, the gender thing. My son became a cop for three years ago, right during the defund the police.
Speaker 3: He's six'.
Speaker 7: FIVE i, go, look he's surely want to be doing this Yere and when he said, that you, know we're gonna show respect to the police and we're gonna stand by.
Speaker 3: Him that just believe me a, lot you.
Speaker 7: Know BECAUSE i don't. Know we're in a democratic state, there and people just don't like this guy doing it To some of the country just. Doesn't they don't like, him and it's because of. IT i think it's both, stally you, know you know how we you, know kind of pumped himself. Up but the other THING i wanted to say was, great the people that you know had passed away from people coming to the country in different stupid stuff he did think so will never be. Forgot and, yeah.
Speaker 1: There was a lot to like about what he said. Tonight but you're, RIGHT i Mean donald, either he's an acquired taste and a lot of, people no matter what he, does will always feel that it's not. Enough and then there are others who no matter what he, does he can you can't criticize him if you go to criticize him on. ANYTHING i think that the tariff situation is an interesting and a challenging. Situation it looks as if he may have come out.
Speaker 3: Of this the bottom.
Speaker 1: Line, okay, Great, dean appreciate your calling. In thank you so. Much enjoyed the not a Problem. Dean look you're, Excited you're you're a little. Nervous that's no. PROBLEM i was only going to say that it looks as if maybe maybe, uh he's gonna come out of This ukraine thing with the deal that he that in effect they walked away from last. Day, yeah that's that's probably when you think about, it to go From friday To, tuesday, whatever. Whatever sometimes it's better to Be it's better to be lucky than. GOOD i don't. Know maybe let's see what. Happens let's let's let's give it a chance to see what. Happens Gon fly call back. Again, okay you're, Welcome thank you very. Much, okay let me try to push this a little. Bit let me go To peg In New. Hampshire. Peg you're next on. Nightside, Hi, dan how are you just doing? Great? Peg quick take if you, will on what your reaction, was not only to his speech but perhaps to the speech of The democratic senator From.
Speaker 6: Michigan, ABSOLUTELY i didn't hear the whole speech BECAUSE i didn't get in my car until like ten thirty ten. FORTY i thought he did very. Good and what your previous call is that he does like to pat himself on the back a, lot and he does go on and.
Speaker 7: ON i, thought.
Speaker 6: Mister, Trump President, trump sounded really. Good who WAS i forget the woman's name From. Michigan what was her name?
Speaker 1: Again Her Senator. Slotnik she was in The house for as a member Of congress for a few. Years, uh and she just was. Elected there was a senator out there who decided to Retire Senator. Peters so she's she's a freshman. Senator and and by the, WAY i used to work for THE, cia and she's a Moderate. Democrat there was nothing that she said that most people would disagree. With BUT i don't know that that that that wing of The Democratic party exists. ANYMORE i, mean.
Speaker 6: She kept using the word, democracy which is What President biden used during his campaigning. Democracy.
Speaker 1: Democracy we had democracy In november And Donald trump won the election and he and he won all of the seven, states Including michigan by the, Way.
Speaker 5: Oh did He.
Speaker 6: Michigan he did very well for. HIMSELF i thought that she WASN'T i don't. KNOW i was just sitting there listening to, it and the first thing that came to my mind was she doesn't know anything about The american. People that was just kind of my. FEELING i get feeling WHEN i was. Listening okay, again that's.
Speaker 1: All that's. All we want to find out what people. Think. Simple was that.
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 1: Right pign good good. Analysis, THANKS peg talk, soon good, night quick. Break here a couple of commercial. Messages we're gonna get. Everybody Doreen, Hubert David jim gonna ask everybody to be direct to the point only line open six one seven, nine one ten. Thirty if you dial that, now you'll get in six one seven nine three one ten thirty and we'll get you on before the night is. Over, thanks stay with.
Speaker 5: Us now back To Dan ray live from The Window world Night Side studios ON Wbz News.
Speaker 1: Radio we're gonna get every, everybody AND i promise let me go next To Hubert, hubert welcome next To. Nightside, yere.
Speaker 8: SIR i believe man well that The president did have a good good did have a good long. Speech there is showing. Up promise is promisesn't promising us the. WORLD i just hope he can. Deliver And i'm concerned that this tax cut is is something that they're too concentrated. ON i, mean they're gonna cut, everything they're gonna cut Social, security and it shows that they're gonna cut it deep by coming up with this bogus reasoning that there's one hundred and uh people who are one hundred and two years old on the. SYSTEM i, mean the goal even go as far as to say there's a three hundred year old person out there collecting.
Speaker 1: SECURITY i heard him, say, now look here's. There there could have Been, look there could be names on, there and we talked about this last WEEK. Qub but it's possible that somebody put people's names or dates of birth in. WRONG i want to see, if if if there are people out there who are somehow fraudulently on the system and they're rigging the. SYSTEM i don't think they're going to Cut Social, security to be honest with. YOU i think what they might come out.
Speaker 3: Bogus.
Speaker 1: REASON i think what they might do is move the retirement age Because americans are living, longer you, know up a year or.
Speaker 8: So BUT i could see, THAT i could see, that, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: BUT i don't think they're going, to for, example to someone on soci security who's making two thousand dollars a, month that they're going to say we're going to cut that by five hundred dollars or one hundred dollars or five, dollars we'll. SAY i, mean that would be, political political insanity to do. THAT i want him to see.
Speaker 8: He's coming with these lines to try.
Speaker 1: To put him saying is out, there let's see what back.
Speaker 8: ELECTED i think what.
Speaker 1: We're saying is the same thing from a different. PERSPECTIVE i want to see him back. Up if there are people's names With Social security, numbers, uh and they're receiving, checks AND i Think i'm pretty much convinced that these are what's called coding. Errors, Okay SO i THINK i think he makes a mistake by relying upon. Representations you, know you don't want to go out there and, say, hey the you know the sun's going to rise in the west tomorrow because you can be proven wrong pretty. Quickly same way, here it's time to put it. Up put it, Up, yeah put this over.
Speaker 8: Emphasis to try to do all of this so they can give a big tax cut is something that we should all. Fear these billionaires do not deserve a tax. Cut they've already making more. MONEY i wish these billion is a shame that. People so there.
Speaker 1: Are some of them who have The Hubert hubert just stay with. Me for a second, Here, okay let's have a. Chat there are some billionaires who have come out and basically said that they are going to donate half of their, estate meaning all of their, money to various and sundry. Charities so there are some very generous millionaires out there in the. World so don't paint with that broad, Brush. HUBERT i hate to do this, Yet i've given you three minutes. HERE i can't give any more time BECAUSE i got other. Folks thank, You, hubert call more often and on a night we can talk, longer, okay and enjoy talking with.
Speaker 8: You thank, you thank.
Speaker 1: You great. Night good, Night. Doreen and In, Chelsea, Hey. Doreen next On, nightsaga, right.
Speaker 6: How you Doing?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 1: GREAT i want to. KNOW i want to know how you Think President trump and the demococratic senator From michigan did with her response.
Speaker 6: Tonight, WELL i watched the whole speech AND i wanted one.
Speaker 1: Hour at one hour and forty minutes of. It it was a long.
Speaker 7: Speech, yes WHAT i want to ask you who is that?
Speaker 6: Person what the cane that they?
Speaker 1: Congressman it was a congressman by the name Of Al green From, Houston texas who actually was the first person to file articles of impeachment Against Donald trump In may of twenty, seventeen based Upon trump's dismissal OF fbi Director James call, me the guy looked like a fool out there, tonight and whoever advised him to? Stand he's seventy eight years. Old he obviously has a. Cane he looked like he looked like a, fool and he was escorted from the.
Speaker 3: Chain he looked, like.
Speaker 6: Excuse. Me he looked like he.
Speaker 7: Was, American.
Speaker 8: Indian, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: NO i have no idea what his ethnic background. Is and it doesn't matter whether he Was, Irish american or. Whatever. Uh he looked like a, fool simple as. That all. Right he represents part of a good portion Of Harris, county represents people outside Of, houston In houston and outside Of, Houston. Texas Thanks, DREEN i gotta keep rolling, here, okay all? Right thank? You by let me go next To jim In Kansas, City, jim you and you were next One.
Speaker 8: KNIGHTS i go, Ahead, Dan, Thanks i'll be.
Speaker 9: Brief how are?
Speaker 1: You thank? You i'm doing, Great. Jim what's your thought on tonight's? Speeches all?
Speaker 9: Right, well when he did talk ABOUT i thought he did a really good. Job i'm really glad that they demanded order at the very beginning and that they got they got the chamber under. CONTROL i love what he's about the. BORDER i love what he said about. DEPORTATION i love the way he went over the one hundred, million h one nine year old. PENSIONERS i do, think.
Speaker 1: You, know if it's, shown if it if it's shown to be, false, boy that that'sn't help his, credibility does.
Speaker 9: IT i don't think it's going to be well. Anyway, okay this is not, uh.
Speaker 7: This isn't.
Speaker 9: In this speech and all the OTHER i can always do without the awards ceremony and the and the. Eulogies i'm not much for the, awards ceremonies and the, eulogies BUT i guess there are people who that appeals. To WHAT i would like to have heard him say something about is what's going on with his space force that he. CREATED i haven't heard very much about what's going on with, that And i'm tired of varying excuses about why he hasn't lowered prices and re his. Wages on the day he took, office like he, said he cat.
Speaker 1: Lower he. Can't he doesn't authority to lower prices or rage. WAGES i, mean.
Speaker 9: Well he, could well he, COULD i don't. Know well HE'S i think he's doing quite a bit to get the oil, pumping AND i would like to see the oil start.
Speaker 1: Pumping that's how that's how oil prices will come down if you increase the. Supply, obviously that's, economics one on, one supplying. Demand, JIM i want to get one More?
Speaker 7: Indian why why why?
Speaker 3: Can't?
Speaker 9: Here here's WHAT i want To why can't he sign an executive order exempting tips in overtime from income? Tax he signed an executive order for everything? Else why can't you Sign why.
Speaker 1: CAN'T i don't think the two, authority the two, things the two. Chasm i'm trying to answer your, Question, JIM i don't think he has the authority to do. That He congress needs to do. That, okay that's he He there's some things you can do by executive. Orders some things you, Got. JIM i got to keep going. HERE i got one more. Call thank you very. Much we will talk again next. Up david And San. Francis Go, david you're a little. Late i'll give you ABOUT i don't. KNOW i got about maybe forty five seconds before you go.
Speaker 10: Ahead, well it's funny you're talking about the authority he. Has he has no authority to declare war On, panama On, greenland but he sure did. It so if he wanted to, CLAIM.
Speaker 1: I don't think war on anybody, TONIGHT i don't. THINK i, MEAN i don't think he Had David. DAVID i actually cut him off because he couldn't have a conversation with. ME i don't want to do that to you. Here he didn't declare, war he didn't Ask congress for an active. War he he said there were Two american there are companies down there who have bought the two. Ports, okay he said To. GREENLAND i hope that people Of greenland will will will will, decide will, decide is what he. Said so if you consider that declaring, WAR i guess we'll we'll have to agree to. Disagree i'm glad we at least could complete the. Call Thanks, DAVID i got to, run were, late got the plank There rob For. David just you, KNOW i think he was a little bit. Different, okay we're. Done that's. It it was a crazy night on nightside we're back tomorrow NIGHT Cpa NIGHTSIDE Cpa Mark misselbeck questions about, taxes and of course we'll go to Follow Mayor woo In washington. Tomorrow we'll be talking about That tomorrow, night. Everybody my name Is Dan. Ray this Is Nightside. Rob thank, You, mariita thank. You all, dogs all, cats all pets go to. Heaven that's my Pal Charlie, rays who passed fifteen years ago In. February that's why all your pets are who. Passed they loved you and you love. THEM i do believe you'll see them, again see Again Tomorrow Night. NIGHTSIDE i will be On Facebook nightside With Dan ray in about two. Minutes have a Great, wednesday, everybody