Speaker 1: All right, let's get a drivetime Wednesday afternoon, seven minutes past the hour of two o'clock. Beautiful day, lovely day. We've had such a great week of weather. It's about seventy degrees, flat and sunny here in downtown Slid City, Utah. Not too warm at all, not too cold. Feels more like spring, even though it's June time now, and as it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride. Spence checket's beyond my porter Larson behind the glass. Happy Wednesday to you. You are halfway through your work week, you're one day closer to the weekends. And we got a lot to do. We got a busy show, got a good guest list with a bunch of different topics. The NBA Finals get rolling tomorrow on ABC six thirty Mountain Time, and of course you can hear it on our radio station. The Indiana Pacers and the Oklahoma City thunder will do battle. Tonight is Game one of the Stanley Cup Finals. The Battle for Lord Stanley's Cup gets rolled tonight between Edmonton and Florida, a rematch of the Stanley Cup Finals a year ago. It is such a grueling tournament that you just don't see very many Stanley Cup rematches, but we have it starting tonight. A seven games Stanley Cup finals last year saw Florida win the first three games, Edmonton rolled back to win three straight, and then Florida be able to grab that game seven. So we'll see if we get another unbelievable Stanley Cup final starting tonight. Hopefully we get seven games. I don't think we're getting seven games. On the basketball side of things, we'll talk about it today is the Pacers are just up against a juggernaut. Shay reigning MVP has elevated his game to the points where.
Speaker 2: He can kind of dictate.
Speaker 1: Things in a way that really nobody on Indiana can, even though Tyree Saliburton is an excellent, excellent league guard. So some interesting storylines and topics surrounding the NBA Finals we'll get to today. The world of the professional golf, as far as the PGA Tour goes. The RBC Canadian opens this weekend, and then I speeded to the US Open, where Phil Mickelson will try to complete his Grand Slam, potentially for the final top Phil has a five year exemption after he won the tournament five years ago became the oldest winner of the tournaments, and so this will be his last chance to win that Grand Slam. It's the only major championship Phil Mickelson does not have. Rory mcelroyd continues to be grumpy despite his incredible year, so little golf.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: Top of mind this time of year is the summer is upon us RSL with an interesting June. They only have two games. They're off until June the fourteenth. The LA Galaxy game will be moved. I believe that's because of Leake's Cup stuff. It's only two games for RSEL this month, not a lot of opportunities for Raal saw Lake to get points that they badly, badly need. The summer window opens next month and that's the next opportunity for OURSEL to add some talent to this roster. Offseason college football converercetion continues to be pretty interesting. Ryan Day, of course, comes out today and says the Big Ten deserves four automatic spots in the CFP Color me shocks. I still think we're moving ahead to the five plus eleven model. University of Utah continues to piece together their twenty twenty six recruiting class doesn't look like Andre Miller is on his way to join Alex Jensen's staff. Speaking of former You to our coaches, what's next for Johnny Bryant? The Phoenix Suns decided on Jared Ott today. Jared Ott, an assistant coach for Kenny Atkinson coaching alongside Johnny Bryant last year, takes over the Phoenix Suns after they moved.
Speaker 2: On from Mike Budenholzer.
Speaker 1: Devin Booker has now had seven coaches in his career with the Phoenix Suns. Pretty whild, of course. Ladies with the Necks fire in Tom Thibodeau after the best run in franchise, well not in franchise history. They actually have won championships. Just very few of us were alive when that happened.
Speaker 2: So what's next in New York? Is that a stop for Johnny?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: We'll get into it a lot of and this is kind of how these things go. When a coach gets fired or a player gets traded. It's like a relationship with friends of yours, right, Like you don't really know what actually happened until the breakup, and then everybody wants to dish and spill.
Speaker 2: So now that Tom Thibodau has been fired. There are rumors this was player driven.
Speaker 1: Miquel Bridges apparently doesn't like playing a lot of minutes. I hate it when players bitch and moan about playing, man, it's so exhausting. And Karl Anthony Towns apparently does not want to play for Tom Thibodeau anymore either.
Speaker 2: This is such a player's driven league.
Speaker 1: And of course the Utah Jazz are in a scenario where their coaching staff in front office appears to be solidified and solid but the problem is they do not have good basketball players. So we'll get into it on the show today. A lot of different topics going on on the program. Our first guest will be Josh Furlong. Josh covers the University of Utah for our friends at KSL. We'll do some Utah football and some Utah basketball with Josh. Right out of the gates. Neil Smith stops by on this Wednesday afternoon to preview the Stanley Cup Finals which begins tonight, and of course we're high speed ahead to the NHL Draft. Neil was one of the best pro hockey roster constructors in the nineties, so we'll get his take on some Utah Mammoth offseason and get a preview of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight. Andy Larson stops by a little bit later on as well. We'll look forward to catching up with Andy about the Utah Jazz, the Austin Ange news, some NBA draft stuff, and maybe a little RSL with Andy. Of time allows, but again, only two matches for oursel this month and not a lot of momentum at least in the positive direction, and then we'll go from there. We got some other guests at a little bit fluid on the show today. We'll kind of keep you in the loop. But it is a Wednesday edition of the radio show and we appreciate you making us a part of your day. Josh fur Long, Neil Smith, Andy Larson, he spends check ats all of you the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson. We have two Larsons, Andy and Order on the show today. Porter, Hello, Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I always go through this weird playoff withdrawal where for weeks and weeks and weeks we have well, first we have multiple games every night and then we move over to the conference finals, which is every other night. So or at least we have our game every other night. And yeah, for the past I'm all cut up on our friends and neighbors, Apple TV, John Hamm, great television show. I've basically just been binging television shows waiting for the finals to start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've just been like outside, wandering around aimlessly, which is you know, fine with me, to be perfectly clear. But yeah, when the break kind of starts and you realize that sports are slowing down, especially if you're like us, you're a little what probably football, basketball centric, some soccer, hockey. We'll throw our guys in there. But yeah, man, it really starts to seep in when you have several days off in between games. When going back months now, if you're a college hoops watcher, you had games every night, you had multiple games going on at the same time. You basically were overdosing on basketball for two months, and then you have this come down. To use that analogy, I will say Spence. Also, it is technically still spring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's June and it feels like April. I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 1: Last last weekend, it was I was playing golf and it was ninety two degrees.
Speaker 5: It was it was much. It was a bit much. But yeah, the solstice is I think the twentieth.
Speaker 1: Okay, mary Anne Williamson, nobody's impressed with your knowledge of the stars.
Speaker 2: We've been over this.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I know.
Speaker 5: I'm just keeping you in the loop. Is do you see the northern lights this weekend?
Speaker 2: Is mercury and retrograde?
Speaker 6: Yet?
Speaker 4: Really pretty?
Speaker 2: Is it in retrograde yet?
Speaker 4: I don't know about that one.
Speaker 1: Okay, because if it is, if it is, white women are about to make a bunch of different decisions that will badly affect their relationship.
Speaker 4: I have seen like to get way down this rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: How deep are we going here?
Speaker 5: We've gott like there's certain guys that think the tilt of the earth is about to like shift and change everything.
Speaker 2: You got to stop listening to Joe Rogan podcast.
Speaker 5: Bro, you know it's entertaining, just to be clear, okay, not informational, all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, uh Joe Rogan somehow five years ago his job was to convince humans to eat animal uh FECs on television, and now he's where people go to get like a legitimate medical and signs.
Speaker 4: And also where'd fear factor go?
Speaker 5: Just because Joe Rogan's not doing it can't doesn't mean we can't make people do that on television anymore.
Speaker 2: That's that's fair. That's fair. You could do it, Okay, all right, Hey.
Speaker 1: I'll host Fear Factor, and then in five years maybe I'll have a podcast where I.
Speaker 2: Give people horrible medical advice.
Speaker 4: What's your podcast? Uh check? Reality check?
Speaker 2: There you go, may rest in peace.
Speaker 4: We could bring it back.
Speaker 1: We could bring it back, and I'll have irresponsible people on my podcast to spread misinformation and conspiracy.
Speaker 4: You should bring me up for like five hours.
Speaker 7: I should.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently that's how people are making their way through the world.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter what you say, whether it's it's true or not is irrelevant.
Speaker 2: As long as people are engaged.
Speaker 1: The problem is then they listen, then they spread the information of their friends, and suddenly nobody knows which way is up and which way is down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I mean, if you're interested, I'm here.
Speaker 1: Okay, I appreciate it. But in the meantime, you can participate in the show that we do every day. Want to remind you, guys that Live Night Events presents the twenty twenty five Granary Live Concerts series powered by Nightingale College in Murdock Conde, Utah's number one Hundai dealer, experience outdoor concerts in the heart of downtown Salt Lakes, Grandary District. You can find more details AUDESPN seven undersports dot com. Josh Verlong our first guest right out of the gates. But before you get to Josh, courtesy of our friends at Prize Picks, it is time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 9: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check its on, Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks is the best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all.
Speaker 2: You just pick more or less one of these two players for.
Speaker 1: A shot to one up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: Do you know Ball?
Speaker 1: There's only one series left in the playoffs and the championship is officially on the line. That means time is running out for you to put your final takes to the test on Prize Picks, the best place to cash in on your favorite sports. So download the Prize Picks AFF today. Use that promo code ESPN seven hundred. They're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars lineup. Don't even have to win the five dollars lineup. They're just gonna hut you up with fifty dollars. So download the Prize Picks AFF today. Use the promo cod ESPN seven hundred. They're gonna hook you up with fifty dollars on the house Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: You can run your game all season long, all right.
Speaker 1: So friend of the program, co creator of the program, original producer of the program JP John Paul Schangar, a guy who joins the show at the time to time, had a chance to sit down with Austin Ah after Austin's press conference that we played on the show and has made the rounds with local media both TV and radio. I would encourage you and of course we support our guy jpus Now over with the Utah Jazz and voice of the Stars and Voice of the Royals.
Speaker 2: Very busy young man.
Speaker 1: I would encourage you to go listen to JP's latest episode of Roundball Roundups, sitting down with Austin Age, who by all accounts is now the lead decision maker and loudest voice in the Utah Jazz front office. So, of course the SoundBite that has made the rounds not just locally but nationally. A lot of our NBA guys actually that are on the show. Dave mcmanmon sent Porter and I a text with that sound bite. He's like, oh interesting, Like it resonated with a lot of people. So our very own Sean O'Connell, as you guys know by now, asked Austin the question about his philosophy on manipulating minutes in tanking, and Austin simply said it was a great SoundBite. You will not see that this year. Well, he went on JP's pod and elaborated essentially on what he meant, and instead of trying to accurately represent those comments, I'll encourage you to go to the Utah Jazz podcast page and find JP's interview with Austin Ahe essentially the gist of it was, yes, I mean what he said continues to be true. But basically, what you won't see this year if Austin is being forthcoming and fourth ride with his comments, and if, by the way, if he is the loudest voice in the front office, If Justin Zanik and his father Danny, and Will Hardy and everybody else, if they're reporting to Austin, okay, If Austin is calling the shots, and if we take Ryan Smith at his words, he very much is, then the edict to how this will transpire will come from Austin himself. And if that's a direct line between Austin and Will Hardy, who worked together in Boston when Austin was there and Will was Emi Udoka's lead assistant coach. If it's a direct line from Austin to Will, and Will has to essentially follow marching orders from Austin ange What we won't see this year are the lengthy injury reports that we all see on social media every single Jazz, every single time the Jazz played game. What we won't see this year is a healthy Walker Kessler sitting on the sidelines. What we won't see this year is a healthy lowry market and sitting on the sidelines or an invented injury for Colin Sexton or John Collins or Jordan Clarkson, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Okay, and so as we've discussed and will continue to discuss throughout the course of what is shaping up to be a very fascinating offseason in pro basketball, what does that look like? What does it look like for the Utah Jazz as they're presently constituted now side note, I do not believe the way they're presently constituted will be the way that they are constituted come fall.
Speaker 2: But only time will tell, because.
Speaker 1: There is part of me that does believe some of the veteran players you have on the rost are actually perfect fits for a team that should not be serious about winning this year, should not be serious about putting their best foot forward as far as trying to win games.
Speaker 2: Now you can be.
Speaker 1: Serious about competing, and you can actually approach the thing with integrity in a way that they didn't last year and still lose a lot of basketball games. Certainly with the current landscape of the Western Conference, where you know, it's interesting the walking line is thirteen teams in the West next year believe that their at least playoff or playing teams. I don't know how many believe their top four for that home court advantage. But when you look at the way the Blazers kind of evolved this year, like Portland did a really good job of actual player development this year, not fake player development like that. Like the Jazz did not lean into player development this year. They're going to tell you they did, but they didn't because they were unseerious about competing, they were unseious about winning. They did not approach this thing with integrity as it pertains to the way you should treat the game and the sport and this league where you're lucky to be a part of it, and part of being a professional is showing up up and doing your job to the best of your ability every single day. And yes, sometimes when you're a little bit injured, I still, you know, I still will die on.
Speaker 2: The hill that way.
Speaker 1: Too many NBA players don't play basketball even when they're healthy enough to do it.
Speaker 2: I don't love the load management. I never will.
Speaker 1: And by the way, there's no data that indicate indicates it works.
Speaker 2: Did you watch the playoffs this year?
Speaker 1: It was it was a bloodbath of injuries for some of the best players in the game, and some of the best players in the game that actually do take time off were hurt in the postseason that allowed the pathway forward for certain teams to continue to play on, namely the Indiana Pacers, who ran into a Cleveland Cavalier team whose health was compromised. The Golden State Warriors lost Stephen Curry obviously, the Blazers had to compromise Dame Lillard. The Boston Celtics lost Jason Tatum. There's no Dubta and Tatum play. By the way, I should be clear, Tatum is not one of these guys that wants to sit. There's no data that indicates sitting players actually helps them stay healthy throughout the course of the year. This is a initiative that has always been driven by powerful agents behind the scenes that want their young clients to get to their second contract as fully healthy as possible so they can make a bunch of money. That's what load management is not about teams and players and the league trying to protect the health of these guys for the sanctity of anything. It's money driven, like everything else in this league right now, it's why so many great coaches continue to lose jobs because this is a player driven league, has been for a while, and Lebron is kind of the guy that started this player empowerment movement, which is why a lot of people are anti Lebron right, And I understand that because it has jumped the shark a little bit. When great head coaches like Michael Malone who won a championship just two years ago, and Tom Thibodeau who took the next to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time in thirty years, back to back fifty fifty win seasons for the first time since the mid nineties. Taylor Jenkins, excellent young coach that did a great job in Memphis.
Speaker 2: These guys lose their jobs.
Speaker 1: Mike Butenholzer is a champion, an NBA Coach of the Year multiple times out of a job, and it's because the league is player driven and the players deserve their compensation, their share of the basketball related income and the revenue that comes their way because they're the product. But it really has kind of gone overboard just a little bit as it pertains how much power they have. But ultimately, back to the point, before we catch a break, it is going to be fascinating to see what this offseason looks like for the Jazz, because if we take Austin at his word and he says they will be serious about competing again, the Western Conference is deep enough and talented enough and good enough that the Jazz could put their best foot forward and.
Speaker 2: Still only win eighteen to twenty games.
Speaker 1: And I'm here to tell you that's okay, because to me, the number one priority for a team that is this young, and for a team that, if we're honest, is this bad and this far behind everybody else in their peer group, that first round pick next year is something you cannot convey to Oklahoma City. You have to keep it in your back pockets. And then finally, there's this starting in just a few weeks for the NBA Draft. This front office. Okay, if we're expected to believe that Justin Zanik and Danny Ainge and Austin Age and the talent evaluators over there are good at their job, they need to start hitting on their draft picks in a way that they haven't so far. This is the fourth year since the Mitchell Gobert Quinn Sider Dennis Lindsay teardown and there's some things to like about Kyle Philipalskip, There's some things to kind of like about Isaiah Collier. There's really not a lot to like about Cody Williams right now. And we need to see Taylor Hendrick Selty and I am not a huge keyante George guy. The draft picks they've made so far have been mixed at best, and if we're honest, they have not hit on them. They've got a top five pick. You got to hit on that pick, or you got to utilize it to make some sort of maneuver to add a legitimately talented player to the roster that can play right away.
Speaker 2: They can step in and play right away.
Speaker 1: Because I do think we will see player movement with some of the veteran pieces. Now that Collins and Sexton and Clarkson are on expiring deals John Collins too, they will be easier to move than they have been over the past couple of years. And there is part of me that believes we are going to simply see what Washington did last year. Washington actually tried to win games. They just played all young players, like all young players. They had very few veteran players, even on the roster and almost zero veteran players in the rotation. So when Austin Ainge says we will be serious about competing, and we all understand that, yes, okay, that's great, but on the back end of next season you still have to maintain your draft capital. It probably means both on the roster and in Will's rotation is maybe entirely comprised of the young players they have now and two or potentially four young players that are gonna add coming up on June the twenty fifth. And if you just have a grip of young players that are unproven, you can approach this thing with some integrity and you can't actually be serious about competing and still lose enough games to hold onto your draft pick.
Speaker 2: Which has to be the name of the game this year for the Utah Jazz.
Speaker 8: In a preview.
Speaker 1: Tonight's Stanley Cup final game one Edmonton taking on Florida. It is a rematch which we do not see very often. It's such a grueling tournament. Soneil Smith, former general manager of the Rangers and the Islanders, high level scout for the Detroit Red Wings, a Stanley Cup champion himself, will stop by gonna bring in Andy Larson from the Salt Lake Tribune, and how about Eric Weddle will join the program. Potential Hall of Famer guy, Eric Weddle's gonna stop by but on a Wednesday, starting things out. Josh for Long covers the Utes board, KSL Josh, Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 2: How we doing.
Speaker 11: I'm doing well. How about yourself, Fence.
Speaker 2: I'm good, man, I'm good.
Speaker 1: So, since we're gonna have you at on your reaction to the College Football Hall of Fame news, I think that dropped about a week ago or so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, well no, I was actually I think.
Speaker 2: Monday, Monday gotcha. So what do you think?
Speaker 11: I mean? I think this is a no brainer.
Speaker 12: Quite honestly, I'm I'm part of that committee that helps select some of these guys, and he was a no brainer to me as I was looking at some of these these individuals who are the greats of college football and then there's you know, no question that the Alex Smith, the Eric Weddles are the greats of U tough football. I was I was not in the state during the time that Eric Weddle played, so I don't I wasn't familiar with his college game, but just watching kind of the ambassador of the DAS to the program as.
Speaker 11: Well as kind of what he did in the NFL, Like, this is a guy.
Speaker 12: That truly cares about football being played the right way, play the physical, but also more just trying to help people grow. So I think there's there's no better person to be kind of a candidate for that. Knowing kind of who he is on and off the field, that really kind of specifies like the types of people that the Hall of Fame wants to represent and bring forward. So I think it's a great opportunity for him.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that you were a part of that that committee. That's really cool.
Speaker 1: Illuminate us on the process, like how did these things kind of work and ultimately how did it end with Eric Weddle on the ballot.
Speaker 11: So it's I'm only a part of it.
Speaker 12: So what happens is is they have different regions and you have to select a certain number of players from each region that get brought up to the larger committee, which I'm not a part of, but you basically rank the number of players that you think should be presented to that larger committee from your region. This is dating back to guys you know, well before I was even born. But it's it's looking at a bunch of these guys that you know, have had great careers. They look at their on the field, you know how they did, you know, what they did at the NFL, if that's what they were able to do, as well as.
Speaker 11: Kind of what they do now nowadays.
Speaker 12: And kind of like the service that they provide and other stuff like that. So it's kind of cool to kind of put these names that you've seen forever and compare them to one another. I mean, for example, like Eric the Enemy, you know, obviously a great coach out there, he's involved in that kind of situations and being presented as somebody. So you get a wide range of college football players and trying to see, you know, if it's their time to be in the Hall of Fame. And you know, some of them are on this list for quite a while. Others are on their for a shorter time, and I think Eric's going to be on their first shorter time quite honestly.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, good for our guy. It'd be fun to catch up with him today. All right, let's do some off season college football storyline. Since you and I last spoke, certain things have kind of come down the straight ced So we'll start with what's in front of us, and then we'll get to the expanded sixteen team CFP, but that's not until next year. The straight seating seemed to be one of those things that was such common sense that I have no clue why they didn't do it to begin with. So now we do have straight seeding coming up for the twelve team expanded CFP coming up just simply this year. Do you agree with this endeavor and do you think it's probably something they should have done right out the gates.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I honestly don't know why they wanted to do it the other way.
Speaker 12: I mean, I get it from the standpoint they're trying to do whatever they can to eliminate the selection committee really having full control over it. But I think you look at a lot of people seeing Boise State and Arizona State being a three and four seed and not being that highly ranked compared to some of the other peers, what it could do to Oregon, that.
Speaker 11: Kind of stuff.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think there's just a lot of unintended consequences as part of it, and just you know, a straight seating seems to be the easiest. This is the thing that everybody's familiar with, whether you're playing you know, Little League baseball all the way up to you know football, whatever it may be. That's how tournaments are, you know, one play sixteen or whatever it may be, and you're used to that. So I think this seemed like the easiest way. But college football obviously have to try to overcomplicate things and make things a little bit more complex and entertaining. So we'll see. I think this will be a better system.
Speaker 1: So now we move over to what's on the table for twenty twenty six, which is an expanded sixteen team CFP.
Speaker 2: And it depends on who you talk to.
Speaker 1: I think, well, most people out this way with the big twelve foot print, we'll say the eleven plus five or whatever model is the way to go. I also think it's probably difficult to deny that the SEC and the Big ten, you know, Josh, in any negotiation, it's pretty simple, whoever has the leverage is going to come out on top. And I think it would be a fool's errand to pretend the SEC and the Big ten don't have some leverage. I don't know how much, but probably enough to push this for AQ for each conference thing through. Of course, Ryan Day comes out with his comments today when the dust settles. Two part question, what do you think the sixteen team model will look like?
Speaker 2: And what do you want it Josh to look like?
Speaker 12: Ooh, those are two really interesting questions.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 12: I've gone back and forth on this five plus eleven versus the four four two two one plan. I can see benefits and consequences of each. Honestly, though, like I think there's some undercurrent of all of this right where I think it's it's more political play where you have the ACC and the Big twelve saying hey, we want to earn it on the field, which kind of is a nod to the Big or the Big ten, and the SEC kind of saying hey, look we're going to give you that, and we may take less because of it, but we don't want to give you all the power, you know, getting four automatic bids. But then on the other hand, like you're giving up two straight guarantees that you're going to get plus a potential maybe third if you managed to get in that high. You know, I think this is a really tricky situation. I think it's probably going to land somewhere closer to the five versus eleven guarantee the top five conferences a spot and then straight seed from there. I just, you know, I don't know, this is hard.
Speaker 11: I feel like we're over complicating it for something that doesn't need to be that way.
Speaker 12: If you want to say it's sixteen teams, just the best sixteen teams are in there. If you're really that worried about a selection committee that you've put together, you know, that's that's the bigger problem.
Speaker 11: But the reality is is they all complain about the.
Speaker 12: Selection committee when these are former coaches and these are former administrators. These are people that understand this at a high level. This isn't just like you and I going out there and trying to select the sixteen best teams. These are people with well intentioned, you know, reasons behind all this stuff. And we're doing everything we can to kind of avoid the selection committee, and we're going to try to give certain conferences a number just the sixteen best teams need to go in there. Like, to me, that would be the best approach. I think that's what it is. You see disparity between one versus sixteen. Can a sixteen seed? You know make a run or upset. Sure, you know, any given days something can happen, But I think it gets really tricky trying to maneuver and finagle certain things to try to get a certain number of teams in there. And I just don't love that approach, even if it is a guarantee just straight seated go from there.
Speaker 1: So it's been a really wild news cycle over the past couple of months.
Speaker 2: As we all were awaiting the.
Speaker 1: House the NCAA settlement to simply provide guidelines and guardrails, and just we kind of all thought that would be across the line, and there have been a tremendous amount of things that have stopped the progress, a lot of red tape, roster number restrictions, and then what nobody saw coming.
Speaker 2: I certainly didn't. I don't think anybody.
Speaker 1: The Ross Dellingers of the world didn't seem to see this coming. Are a couple of states, including Tennessee and others, actually passing legislation telling their member institutions that reside in their state, like, hey, just so you know, you don't have to adhere to what the NCUBA House Settlement Act actually tells you to do with nil funds.
Speaker 2: And distributions. So good news.
Speaker 1: If you're in our state, you do not have to adhere to the guidelines that you will receive from this settlement. And then the P four conferences draft contracts and disseminate those contracts to all their member institutions, saying, hey, regardless of what your state law says, if you want to be in one of our conferences, you do have to adhere to what the House VNCAA settlement says about nil distributions and such. And you know, Josh, at this point, I just wonder if it's time for all of us that love this sport, cover this sport, and consume this sport just to say like this is the new normal, and it's just going to be a scenario where every off season essentially the only people that are enjoying it are the attorneys because they're going to make the money. And I don't know if we're still high speed ahead to this pro football model hybrid AF the NFC two conference college football reality anymore. I just think we're kind of in this space, and we'll be in the space where quite some time where it's just kind of continued chaos and lawsuits and filings and state legislation, and I don't really see an endgame. I've just kind of accepted that from the standpoint of people to do the job that you and I do. We're just in for these lawsuits to be filed and then ultimately, you know, you have these lawyers over here deciding they want to look at this, and then they're going to push back on that, and I just think we're kind of in for reshuffling deck chairs and the Titanic in college football for the foreseeable future. I don't know that I really see an endgame anymore, based off the chaos we've seen this offseason.
Speaker 11: No, I completely agree with that.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think that's the frustration about a sport that everybody loves because it seemed more pure, right It seemed like you had your agencies based on you know, whether it be your family has always been you know this this fan or you went to that school. There was a lot of pride that went into that more than just a professional team, right, Like, there's different types of pride for that, And now that's really chipping away at the core of what college sports is. And I think that's you know, you're getting more of the hardcore fans, the ones that are paying attention to it every single day. They're the ones getting riled up, especially because they're the ones that understand the nuances. They're the ones that don't tune in suddenly in August and wonder, Okay, what's happening. Who's on the roster. These are the people that are looking every single day. These are the ones that are paying attention. These are the ones generally probably maybe the boosters, the ones that are putting in the money. When you start disenfranchising that group, I think you lose the effect of what college sports can be, especially in college football. We all understand that it did shift it away, especially from an amateur model. It was always a mass amateur model. There was always a lot of different things that the NCAA screwed up. But now we're sitting in a quasi professional realm where there's no you know, no straight understanding of how it's supposed to be. There's no collective bargaining agreement. There's, like you said, state laws that are trumping the NCAA, which really doesn't have any legal power anyway, and it's just this big cluster that doesn't really make sense for anything. And I think that, you know, I don't know what the endgame here is, right like, unless there's some sort of binding contracts, which will still get challenged in court. But unless there's some sort of binding contracts or certain things that kind of pull everyone together, this is going to continue to be the cycle every single year. And it's frustrating because most people, they just want to tune into the games. They want to show up on a Saturday, kind of relax from all the stresses of the regular work week and just.
Speaker 11: Enjoy their team.
Speaker 12: And now it's becoming much more professionalized, much more complicated, and it just doesn't feel like the sport that we used to know.
Speaker 11: I mean, it's still fun, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 12: Ratings are still high, everybody's still excited to watch it, and come August September, you know, we're all going to forget what's happening in the summer. But there's still that in the background that frustrates people, that makes them not want to, you know, donate to the programs or or invest in in the same way, because one, you don't know if the players are going to be there, you don't know what it's going to look like. Your team may be relegated suddenly and you have no clue, and so it's just kind of this complicated system and nobody really has any standing to be able to make it work.
Speaker 1: One follow up here, because you're plugged into this stuff in a way that I probably am not, because we've been pretty basketball and hockey centric with the Stanley Cup and NBA Finals draft coming up. But in twenty seven days, D one athletic departments are scheduled to begin paying out more than one billion dollars to athletes. And as of now, without housing the NCUBA being settled, there are no rules, there's no enforcement because the nc DOUBLEA has been told, oh hey, by the way, you.
Speaker 2: Can't enforce anything.
Speaker 1: So there's conference by conference enforcement and very little regulation and we're all all waiting for this settlement to take place, and they have twenty seven days before the more than one billion dollars is set to be distributed to these young people that play sports at schools.
Speaker 2: Are you hearing.
Speaker 1: Anything about a finished line in sight? I can't believe it's June fourth and we're still talking about this thing not being done.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, everything has to be settled by July fifth. If there is a settlement.
Speaker 12: Obviously Claudia Wilkins could extend it beyond that, but July first was the date that everybody has given that everything has to be in. July first is the date that schools have to say, hey, are you in the settlement or not? And if you opt out, you don't have to pay athletes. There's a lot of other rules, but you know you're not tied to it. But most of these schools, especially at the powerflow level, have prepared for the last year plus to opt in.
Speaker 11: They're ready.
Speaker 12: Most of them at the very least are throwing one year's worth of cash into this program to see how it works, to try to make sure that they can pay players, remain competitive in this landscape that nobody really understands, and then kind of go from And so I think whether the settlement passes or not, I really think most schools are probably going to be moving forward that way because to that point, the NCAA has nothing to do with it, right, Like, they can't say no because what are you gonna how are you going to stop them? Right And at the end of the day, the NCAA is there to do the bidding of the NCAA pre or the college presidents and kind of put it all together. But when there's no framework and nothing there, it's going to be chaos. So I don't know that there's going to be a ton of change. I think the real problem though, comes with roster limits and scholarships, because there's always been this this other end where Okay, you can offer walk ons and you can still have your scholarships. Well, now everybody essentially is a scholarship player proportionally, and you have to be able to have a certain roster limit, you have to have certain things that's not going.
Speaker 11: To be equal if this settlement doesn't pass.
Speaker 12: So there's so much to go into this, and obviously I don't want to get into the weeds of it, but I think there's going to be mass chaos. But at the same time, I don't think it's gonna be To me. As I'm saying this, it reminds me of like if you remember, like when Y two K was coming and everybody's like and your milk is going into explode and everything, Like, I feel like we're kind of getting to that level where no, it'll be fine. You know, we'll figure it out. But I think it's kind of getting to that mass hysteria, to a certain settle, like we don't know what's going to happen, and so you kind of start going down to the worst case scenario situation.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh, let's move off of it and talk about some storyline surrounding Utah football. And of course the storyline that everybody loves every year is the schedule release when we actually get kick times. Let's start with the opener. It's at UCLA. It's nine pm Mountain time on Fox. I'll look, I'm single, I'm chilling, you know, like I've got one son. He's twenty four. He lives in New York, so it doesn't really affect somebody like me. But I can't imagine very many people out there with kids or deadlines or actual lives in a way that I don't are thrilled about a nine pm kickoff for the opener.
Speaker 2: Let's start there. Your thoughts, you'd tell you sala nine pm.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean it's not ideal, especially for a game that a lot of people thought could have at least a little bit more national relevance just with Nikolayamilavia.
Speaker 11: But I think, look that.
Speaker 12: First day of college football people are so excited to have it back that I think you're still going to get a lot of people tune into this game. It's going to be on network TV, and so it's going to be something that people can find readily. You know, maybe you've heard about this Tennessee quarterback that went to UCLA and you want to check it out. So you know, I still think you're going to get the die hards. The hard part here is I mean, like even here in Utah, that's a nine o'clock game, right, I mean, that's really hard for a lot of people to stay up for. You know, some of these people are going to church in the morning. Some of these people, you know, have different things on Sunday that they do. That becomes a really difficult thing. And so it's not the best.
Speaker 11: But at the end of the.
Speaker 12: Day, it's college football and we're going to watch it whenever it is. I mean, if the game is at two AM, I guarantee you people would tune in and watch it. So I you know, I don't get too caught up on it. I do like earlier games, and I think for a team like Utah, they want to be more on the national spotlight. But the last two years haven't afford to them that, and so I think you get the break where you are on Fox, you get that national line, but you're not going to get it in the exact prime time that you were thinking of.
Speaker 11: So it still works.
Speaker 12: It's still something that people are going to be excited for most you know, a lot of fans are going to go out to the Rose Bowl and check this game out and have fun.
Speaker 11: So it'll still be a good time.
Speaker 2: I'm opener cal Poly four o'clock.
Speaker 1: That feels like a really really solid time then at Wyoming six o'clock CBS Sports Network. But I'll ask you about the final game of the regular season at least and will you be spending Thanksgiving in Kansas, as it's the day after Thanksgiving and it is a ten to a m kick, which is aggressively early.
Speaker 2: Your thoughts on that, Yeah, the ten AM one.
Speaker 12: That one I'm more frustrated with because nobody likes that game. I mean, it's nice in the sense that it's it's early, and it's it's one of those things that people can wake up after Thanksgiving and enjoy. But you know, covering games like that, it's tough. Last year, I had to travel on Thanksgiving, miss you know, spending time with my family to go out to UCF to be able to have the Black Friday game, and that was a little later in the night. But you know, you have to take them the flights you're given this one. You know this is tough. I mean, you know, I'm gonna be once again on a plane on Thanksgiving ready for a ten am game. For me, I don't love it just because of the travel, but I'm not going to have anybody worry about me.
Speaker 11: That's not my issue. I just think ten.
Speaker 12: Am games are just a real testing, right Like I think you don't want to have that at the end of the day. If this is on ABC, I think fans will be happy. If not, it's on ESPN, which is still good. But I think, you know, if you can get that ABC Utah's doing well, suddenly that becomes a great showing for your program and maybe you're in a position to be able to be in the Big twelve Championship. I don't know, We'll see how this team goes, but there's there's ten there where it could be good. You're gonna have a lot of eyeballs on you, but at the same time. That's usually the rivalry weekend, and a lot of other teams are going to be paying attention to that week more than Utah Kansas.
Speaker 1: Tell our listeners, Josh, you guys have been covering this and I obviously read the stuff you write about, you know, anything pertaining to the you it's the twenty twenty six visits in the twenty twenty six recruiting class. Obviously that's not top of mind right now. We have a season prior to. But how that's kind of the main you know, you know, point of emphasis for this program currently, in this coaching staff currently. Any insight on how these visits went and any names you want to throw out there commits that our listeners should know about.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so Utah has two commits right now, Preston Pitts and Lagary Mitchell, two two good guys that I think are more of the underrated guys that Utah tried to go for and hope that they can be stars. But you know, starting last weekend, there's a you know, a large group I think it was twelve players that came in for an official visit. This begins a one month period where there's going to be something like forty five or more athletes coming through Utah on official visits where they whine and dynam really try to show how it is one of the prospective, you know, recruits. He showed video of the Utah offensive line really working through plays with him so that they could kind of get a vibe with it. So this is this is really Utah trying to showcase themselves to all of these kids that have a lot of talent, that have a lot of buyers, that are going to be visiting a lot of other places. The biggest name there, at least locally, is Celesi Mooa. This is an athlete who can play both sides of the ball. I mean, he is probably the closest that we've seen in a while to probably like a Travis Hunter style where he can play wide receiver, he can be on the other sides of the dB. Really talented kid, number one kid in the state of Utah, and so there's a lot of emphasis to try to get him to Utah. The other kid that I'll mentioned is Kelvin Obot. This is the number one recruit out of Idaho, you know, with Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu potentially moving on to the NFL this next year as potential first round pigs. This becomes a great opportunity to get a new offensive tackled. And Utah has shown that they're willing to put freshmen in there, just like they did with Spencer Fanos, So that's that's the big selling point for for those And if you can get those two guys alone, I think that really improves your chances on what this recruiting class can be. So this next month is going to be really busy for Utah. There's gonna be a lot of kids coming in and out of the state of Utah to try to kind of see what they're all about. And you're gonna start seeing a lot more commits here coming soon.
Speaker 1: Since you and I last spoke, Bill Conley released his post Spring sp plus for ESPN dot Com, and I like Bill and this model seems to make a lot of sense to me. And of course, a post Spring sp plus ranking certainly will not tell the entire story what we could see come fall, and we still have a number of months until we actually see these teams play. But when you look at the post Spring sp plus ranking, the highest rated Big twelve team is Case State at eighteen, and then it goes like this, Arizona State is twenty two BYU ere exeated Texas Texas twenty six BYU IS twenty seven, and we'll see what the rets last stuffed, you know, as far as how that plays out. Then it is TCU twenty nine in Utah thirty one, and Utah's right ahead of Iowa State, who's at thirty two. So that puts Utah at five in the Big twelve on Bill Conley's sp plus Vegas over under a seven point five, and that also puts Utah about five six seven. It seems like most everything I read for Big twelve predictions and previews has Utah kind of middle of the pack as opposed at the top of the pack this year.
Speaker 2: Does that drive with your understanding?
Speaker 11: Yeah, no for sure.
Speaker 12: And I think you know, Bill Conley does a great job of being able to put those things together. He fine tunes his data to really make sure that it fits with the current you know, ages of the transit portal stuff like that. But I think that's that's really where Utah is going to fit, right. I think based on their potential on paper, they have what it takes to kind of be in the mix right, and I think you're going to see them, you know, at least be competitive, and people think that they can be competitive, but the real question is just canad all come together with so many players coming over from the transfer portal on the offensive side, especially, you know, it takes.
Speaker 10: Time to jail.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think there's there's you know, positions that help Utah in the sense that the offensive line.
Speaker 11: Works together, they've played together.
Speaker 12: That one's going to be connected, and then you've got a quarterback that has seemingly done really well at Jason Beck's offense. I think those things can work well, but it's still unsure how that will go against, you know, teams in the Big twelve.
Speaker 11: So I think it's a good spot for Utah.
Speaker 12: You know, you're not going to get this preseason polled where you're a top twenty five team, but you're lurking, we'll say.
Speaker 11: And so I think whether you're you know, the second.
Speaker 12: Tier, third tier type team and the Big twelve, I think that's good for Utah and I think they can do some damage if they live up to the potential that they have for themselves.
Speaker 1: I hate to make the rets last off a football story I really do. But this is a sports talk radio show, and so I will ask you while we're all kind of a waiting word about how this is going to play out.
Speaker 2: Brian Santiago made his first comments.
Speaker 1: I think to you, guys, is where I saw that since taking over as a d and he said, what you would expect, They're going to let the process play out. He has confidence it will work out. Blah blah blah blah blah. If if the rets last stuff comes to the point where they just have decided they've got to move on from him, what does that make BYU's football season look like?
Speaker 2: And do they have good depth in that room?
Speaker 12: Yeah? That one that was the real tricky question there because coming into spring camp they had three quarterbacks including rets Lass and you have experienced the k Hills, did you know it was up at Utah State had obviously started for them and had some success, but they're you know, it would be a definite drop off from that. They didn't get some in the transfer portal and stuff that way. But I think that becomes probably the biggest worry for this team, where they're predicted that seven and a half wins as well, and obviously coming off the season that they had. There's a lot of expectations for this team to be good. But if you don't get a good quarterback that knows the system and has that chemistry, you know, especially if there is this off the field drama with you know, I don't know if players are frustrated with this, you know what their feelings are, it has a real chance to distract, even if you have a good quarterback in place, to distract from kind of what you built last year, right, And I think coming into lat from last year, this is a team that was overlooked. They kind of believed in themselves, They rallied around themselves and really just kind of insulated themselves from the world.
Speaker 11: And when it started to work, things gibed.
Speaker 12: Right Now, you've got this huge off season hurdle that you have to manage, and whether you have red left back or not, that becomes a real distraction to just what you're trying to.
Speaker 11: Do as a team. Right.
Speaker 12: Obviously, the things that are being alleged are way more serious.
Speaker 11: Of what football is. But at the same time time, when.
Speaker 12: We're just speaking about the football, that becomes a very massive distraction, as it should, right, I mean, I think if there's something serious that happens like that, it should be a distraction. But I think that's unfortunate to these guys that have put in their hard work and effort to be able to get there, to suddenly have something that didn't even impact them now distract them from kind of the success that they were hoping to build.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh, before I set you loose, Look, I don't know if the narrative, a narrative of alex Is going to hire Andre Miller was just something that we created out of thin air, or maybe it was people pining for Utah basketball the past and believing that one two punch would be really dynamic. And I maintain, as somebody who was there in the nineties that Andre has a level of cachet for my generation that is hard to find. But it looks like it's not going to be anything that we'll see, at least not anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Do you have any insight here?
Speaker 1: Do you know whether or not it was ever really discussed, or it was ever really close And maybe is there a chance that could happen at some point even though it doesn't look like it's gonna happen now.
Speaker 12: Yeah, there was definitely some real conversations about that. I mean, there was mutual interest between Alex and Andrea to be able to bring him on staff. I think with what Alex was trying to build for his first year and just kind of the output that he was expecting, I just don't know that there was a you know, the right fit right. Obviously, andre is a great ambassador of the program, he was going to be a great salesman.
Speaker 10: For the you.
Speaker 12: He was going to bring a lot of excitement. Those weren't the questions. I think it was more just with what Alex was trying to do this year, what kind of commitment level it would take, And I just don't think they were able to agree on that. So you know, whether that whether he's able to circle back to that in the future time, you know, remains to be seen. I think, you know, there's definitely not a door closed there, but I think there, you know, Alex is trying to do the best that he can to bring his model and not necessarily bring back.
Speaker 11: The Vick and Jarris era. He's still going to play.
Speaker 12: Homage to it, try to bring in that kind of era and kind of get people excited.
Speaker 11: But at the end of the day.
Speaker 12: This is the Alex Smith or Alex Jenson era, excuse me, and you know he's got to do what he can to be able to be the guy and not live off the cotails of somebody else.
Speaker 1: All right, Josh, good to catch up. Man, Appreciate the time is always have a great week and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 11: That great.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, Josh for a long.
Speaker 1: Stops by today courtesy of our good friends at IFA Country Stores.
Speaker 2: When the seasons change.
Speaker 1: Like right about now, if you're like any good coach, you'll put together your game plan for a healthy, green lawn and you'll turn to the experts at IFA. Check out there four plus long care program everything you need to make your yard a hit. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move at IFA and IFA dot co Op.
Speaker 2: We are your home of the Stanley Cup Finals.
Speaker 1: Here in Salt Lake City, Utah and the surrounding areas. We have a rematch of the Stanley Cup Final from a year ago that went seven games. Florida won the first three, Edmonton came back and nearly pulled off one of the greatest comebacks in Stanley Cup history, and then Florida was able to get it done. Game seven, so tonight you can hear game one on our radio station. And Neil Smith stops by to talk some hockey on a Wednesday. Neil, Happy Wednesday, sir.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm very good spence about yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm great, appreciate the time. First question, randomly, did you ever work for Jim Dolan?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: I think I thought that you did, so I as somebody who worked for the current, you know, still the guy that owns the Rangers and the Knicks. We exchanged a few texts, and I exchanged a few texts with some other people as well. And I'm biased because you know, Tom Thibodeau was Jeff's assistant and we got to know him. And oh also, by the way, he's a great coach that just did something for you that nobody's done in thirty years. And look, you you handle it however you want. You know, you're a very nice guy. You're a gentleman. I'm sure not asking you to rip anybody to shreds, But what was it like working for him? Shed some insight into you know, listeners that maybe don't really have a full picture and your thoughts on him moving on from coach Sibida.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Jim is his own guy. I mean, he's different than all the other people that I've run into in that kind of position. He obviously inherited a good deal of his wealth from Cable Vision, who was able to buy the Madison Square Garden from Paramount and they've had it ever since. Jim was he was a little bit unpredictable when I was there, and you really, you know, you weren't sure what you were going to get from day to day or how he was going to feel about certain things. And sometimes the view that he took of things were a view that you hadn't heard of before. So it was difficult, let me say, it was very difficult.
Speaker 1: One follow up question, we'll move away from Dolan specifically because you know, as my mother off and says, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, advice that I probably should hear to you more. But just how and this is going to sound like a simp question, and maybe it is, But just how important is viable, balanced, consistent ownership when it comes to the success of a professional sports team.
Speaker 3: There's nothing more valuable than that You can have all the great players, all the great coaches, all the great gms, all the great everything. But if you have somebody at the very top who owns it and who you ultimately everybody reports to, that's unstable or that you that doesn't let the people below, who are knowledgeable and have been doing the sport their whole life, if they don't let them run that business, that's sports business, You've got no chance none whatsoever. You've got to allow your people to do it. They do, and if you don't, you won't get the result you want.
Speaker 1: What have been your early impressions with the Smith Entertainment Group and Ryan and Ashley in the way they've kind of been able to conduct their business to support Bill Armstrong his staff, Coach Torny, coach Torny and his staff after only one year here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 3: Well, the one thing that I can say from a long ways away is that the Smith family stays out of the limelight. They stay out of the They seem to stay out of the operational part of it. You don't hear their name coming up saying that, well, you know, they wanted to do this or wanted to do that. They're very much in the background, which is what a really smart owner does. They stay in the background. They oversee the professional people that have got a background in the sport, but they stay in the background and just have leadership skills to lead those people that know the sport really well and know how to work in the environment, but they don't interfere with the way they've got to work in the environment. And I think that the Smiths, from what I understand, have done really good, really well at that and a point to one thing. You know, would have been easy for the new owner to fire everybody coming from Phoenix. You'd had no success there, What makes you think they're going to have any success here. Let's get a whole new management group. But he didn't do that. He gave them all a chance to prove themselves. Obviously to this point, he likes what he's seen and he's staying steadfast with Bill Armstrong and his group. And I think I really believe that's the way you lead. You make your observations, you give people enough time, you see how they work, and then you make your decision from there.
Speaker 1: Were you ever strongly encouraged or straight up forced to go see a JD in the straight shot show.
Speaker 2: In New York.
Speaker 3: No, that never happened back then.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, fair enough, all right, Macro thirty thousand foot view question.
Speaker 2: Neil's a proud Canadian.
Speaker 1: Look, you know, whether it's Edmonton or any other Canadian team, But what would it mean thirty two years since the Stanley Cup was won by a Canadian team, which is pretty wild because y'all are the best hockey country and have been for quite some time. What would it mean to just the country of Canada for Edmonton to pull this off?
Speaker 3: You know, I think it would mean a lot only because Canada is, you know, compared to the United States, is a very small population wise, compared to the US, and they've got the big elephants sitting next door being the US that seems to be good at everything and win everything, and you know, Hollywood and all the rest of it. So for a Canadian team to win the Cup after all these years, and it does mean a lot to a lot of Canadians. Now, the people in Calgary aren't cheering for Edmonton because that's their bitter rivalry. So Jessica, as you know, there wasn't a lot of Toronto maype Leafs fans hoping that Montreal would win in ninety three against La that's the last Stanley Cup they got. But for the majority of Canadians, I do think that you know, if it's Edmonton versus Florida and you're living in Manitoba or you're living in Ontario, I think you're probably going to cheer for the Canadian based team over the American based team only because it's in Canada. But you know what makes me laugh about the whole thing is all of the all of all of these teams in the NHL are divided up amongst many nationalities, Canadian and American being two of them. And so you might be cheering for Edmonton, but you might be cheering for a lot of American players and a lot of Russian players and so on. So it's you know, you cheer for your city where you're from, and then I guess once your city's gone if you're in Canada, And again I stressed it's a smaller country each year for the country.
Speaker 1: Before we get to the game tonight, excuse me and this iteration of the series. What are your memories of this seven game barn burner from last year?
Speaker 2: Between these two.
Speaker 3: Well, I had predicted Florida to win since the regular season last year, and so when they got after that three nothing lead on Edmonton, it didn't surprise me. But when Edmonton came roaring back and won three straight, that did surprise me. And that's set up for a Game seven that was spectacular. Florida, of course, as you mentioned in the open winning it. I think it was two to one. You know, they're both great teams, they're both a notch above everybody else, and they're deserving it being in the final. And this is a great final for the National Hockey League because you don't have a Cinderella team going in against a favorite. That happened sometimes some team that has a wild card spot ends up, you know, by hooker by crook, getting all the way to the final and then they face the you know, the best team from the other conference. And so this year you've got the two teams that as the playoffs went on, you could clearly see that Florida was a notch above the rest of the East and Edmonton a notch above the rest of the West. Now one could point out, well, they both ended in third place in their division. Yeah, that happens, you know it does happen. Not everybody that wins the President's Trophy, which is the first overall which Winnipeg won, ends up in the final. In fact, very few do. So you know, they've gotten healthy at the right time, They've got all their their their gears in order at the right time, and I'm really excited about this series.
Speaker 1: So let's let's attack this individually before we get to the matchup, and let's start with Edmonton. You know, they just have been able to respond to adversity throughout this run in a very impressive way, comebacks left and right, like they almost pulled off last year in the Stanley Cup Final. But they lose the first two games of their first series against the Kings, they win four straight. They opened game one of the second round series against the Golden Knights by giving up the first two goals before setting in a Stanley Cup playoff record where their fifth consecutive comeback victory. And then against the Stars, the Stars scores six straight goals to take game one, and then they gave up five goals total over the next four games to advance to the final. So it's this interesting thing where all of their series they don't start out all that well, but then they figure something out and then they're just ruthless. So let's start with the Oilers' takeaways and then we'll get to the Panthers and we'll talk about the matchup. What stands out most about this run from Edmonton, Neil.
Speaker 3: Well, the obvious is the most important thing, and that's Connor McDavid number ninety seven. I mean, he leads the playoffs again this year, scoring and when he gets the opportunity, which she won't get a lot of them against Florida, but when he gets the opportunity to dance and go at that high speed, he can go at and he is marvelous to watch and can do crazy good things for the Oilers. So you know, he plays on the line with NuGen Hopkins, who's having the best playoff of his life, and then forty year old Corey Perry is on his other side that won the MVP of the league way back when he was with the Ducks in seven or eight and and so, and that's a formidable line because Corey Perry takes no prisoners physically and and NuGen Hopkins is a first overall pick, and Connor McDavid is McDavid there's nobody else even like him. And then on the second line, this is your second line has Drive Cydle in the middle, who's you know, leading the league and goals again this year. And you've got again a tough guy with him and Evander Kaine and then Casbury Cappening on his other side. So their first two lines are really good. They've got a bomb of a shot on the point on the power plane, Evan Bouchard. Mattias Ekolm, who plays on his left side, is a really good defenseman, puck moving defenseman. And then I'll just skip the goal. And the goal is the one place where they definitely take a back seat to Florida because Stuart Skinner all always played really well in these playoffs, and so is Kelvin Pickard his backup. He's always going to be a question mark until he can get it done. Is he going to be able to play to the Paprowski level that he needs to play at to be able to beat the Panthers.
Speaker 2: Now over to the Panthers.
Speaker 1: What stands out most to me, Neils, I'm kind of looking at some of these numbers here, Nineteen different players have lit the lamp this postseason, so clearly tremendous depth. They're averaging more goals per game than they were last year, they're giving up fewer goals per game than they did last year as well. Their power play has been better, and their penalty killer is the best in the playoffs. So clearly there's a lot to like and there's not a lot to nitpick about the Panthers.
Speaker 2: What we know about them prior to Game one tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, what's really going to be interesting and may be on the first base off if the two coaches, or let's say the visitors have to put their lineup in first and if they put in Barkoff's line Barkoff, Reinhart and Rodriguez, maybe it's amazing is they'll go up against Connor McDavid and Nuten, Hopkins and Perry. But Barkoff won this year for the second year in a row, the Selke Trophy, which is the best defensive forward in the league, and he's he is terrific at that, so he'll go head to head against McDavid to try to shut him down. But here's the other part. Out of the three finalists for the Selky Trophy, Sam Reinhart was the other one and he plays on that line. And then you've got Evan Rodriguez, who did a lot of damage in last year's playoffs and score. Their second line can score with their Hagi and Bennett and Kachuck, and of course Bennett and Kachuck are most known for irritating the living heck out of the visiting team and whoever they play against. That we haven't even mentioned Brad marsha On yet, the former captain of the Bruins, who plays on the line with Lundell and Listerina. They got a terrific top three lines there, and maybe not the star studded McDavid dry Sidle type of name that everybody's heard of, but guys that can all put the puck in the net. And that's why you say so many different players have scored for the Panthers, and I like their defense. Aaron Actlat has been good offensively this playoff and Forestling was great last year. But Seth Jones that they got into trade from Chicago before the deadline has really added some great one B depth. So if Aaron Ecklad is one A Seth Jones is at least one B, and then you've got Pubrowski, who pretty much a household name now if you watch hockey, because they he won it all for them last year.
Speaker 1: All right, now that we've learned about both these teams individually, right now, the money as far as betting goes on sportsbooks going towards Edmonton pretty overwhelmingly. How do they match up and X factors for both sides as far as how you think this thing is going to go, you.
Speaker 3: Know, they match up extremely well. I think that the Oilers are not going to get the opportunities that they got against Dallas Vegas or in the first round against the La Kings. They're not going to get those because they're going to be Florida is a very good shutdown team. Florida is going to have to capitalize on a few chances they get. And again I think it goes back Spence to Stuart Skinner versus Sergey Brabrovski. If one of them let's in a bad goal, it's going to be huge. And when I say a bad goal, it doesn't mean they should score from center. Means a shot that they should have had that they somehow didn't get and the other team takes a lead. So I would expect tonight that Edmonton would start out slow. They seem to always do that at home for some reason. And Florida. Florida's ready for them. I mean, they've had more rest. Both teams are very well rested. The other thing I should mention is that Zach Hyman dislocated his wrist against Mason Marchmont on the Dallas Stars in that series, and he's a huge part of the Edmonton oilers. If he was playing, he would have been one of the names I would have brought up when we talked about Edmonton. But he's out of the lineup. That's a bit of a blow.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: If you asked me to pick a peck of winter, and we do it on our podcast all the time, I don't know where which way to go. I've been calling Florida for a lot of long time now, so I would stick with that. But nothing would surprise me in this series.
Speaker 10: Nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to ask you because based off.
Speaker 1: Of everything that I've been reading and watching, I've heard a lot of people straight up say this is a pick them and it could go one way or the other. Are you surprised that the majority of the public money is going the way of the Edmonton Oilers.
Speaker 3: I am, and I think that they might, you know that they might just be in love with the Connor McDavid factor and the Leon dry Sidle factor and the new guys on the block. And this is a revenge Cup and that has favored the team that didn't win the year before in a lot of times. I can tell you that for sure, Florida is not as sexy as Edmonton because they don't have Connor McDavid and Leon Drye Sidle on these guys, so they're not as sexy, but they're boy, they're a hard working team. You should compare to two great coaches. Chris knob Block for the Edmonton Oilers has done a fantastic job. He came in part way through last season, led them to the final, and now he's leading them to the Final again. And then of course Paul Maurice Shu's in his fourth year with the Florida Panthers and has done a terrific job there. Their first year, the upset the record breaking Boston Bruins in the first round, and then last year we know what they did and now here they are again this year, so they're terrific well prepared teams. The coaches are going to have them really going hard. And again I think it is a Pickham thing. I don't know why all the money would be going towards Edmonton other than if people, just as I said, just think, well, it's their turn, so I'm going with them.
Speaker 1: Fourteen of the twenty three quote unquote experts AUDIESPN dot COM's hockey page as Edmonton winning the series. Tell me about these two coaches, Neil and then Attendant to that question. Oftentimes, when you get this late into the season in and you're playing for a trophy, yeah you do make adjustments here there game to game, but more often than not, you kind of are who you are this late in the season and we're just going to do what we do. But tell me about these two coaches and what sort of adjustments you think will be necessary for one or the.
Speaker 2: Other to come out on top.
Speaker 3: Well, Chris Knoblock with the Oilers has to get that power play going. Their power play hasn't been nearly what it was last year and their penalty killing either, but especially their power play. He's got to get when when the Panthers take up that penalty or take a penalty. They've got to be able to threaten to take advantage of that, because one of the things about the Panthers is they play that dirty, grimy game where they want to get in your face all the time. On the other side, you know they're they're going to have to lock down McDavid and dry Sidle and that's a hard job. But they've got two of the best guys for that in Barkoff and Ryan Hard and as I said, backed up by two guys Bennett and Kachuk. But Paul Maurice has been around for a long, long long time, a really good coach, and I don't think they'll be a better prepared team than the Florida Panthers. But Chris Knoblock, who's assistant that, by the way, is Paul Coffee, the great Paul Coffee. He runs a defense for them, and he's won a few Stanley Cups, So they're going to be well prepared too. It's hard to you might hear it in my voice. I can't give the edge to anybody. They're both great and they're both deserving.
Speaker 1: Is there kind of a mini rivalry budding here? I mean, you reference Bennett and Kachuk, who are just irritants no matter what. And maybe it's because Mick David is Canadian and you're nicer than we are. But I listened to interview with him and he didn't indicate there was very much bad blood. But these two teams saw each other year ago in a seven game series. Does it feel like there's an underlying dislike sports hatred kind of brewing. Here are these two teams that are maybe not necessarily in a space where they have bad feelings for one another, even though this is the second straight Stanley Cup final they'll be battling for.
Speaker 3: I think if they don't have bad feelings for each other, they will have about ten minutes into the game, because that's how intense this thing will be. Yeah, and they do. They do have negative feelings. I mean, one team walked off with the cup, the other team walked off in tears. And so Connor McDavid wants to cement his legacy by winning a Stanley Cup. It's one thing to be the greatest player in the league's that's all good and well, but you've got to win a cup to really cement how good you are. And that's what Connor McDavid really wants to do. At the other end, they're going to try to stop them from they want to win their second in a row as their cross state rival that Tampa Bay Lightning did just not too long ago. So it's again it's going to be a battle. And you know, I think that dry Cidle and McDavid are going to want the one thing they have never had and that is a Stanley Cup. And we'll see, I mean, you'll know some stuff. Five to ten minutes into the game, you're already gonna see some things happening. And as I said, you sit down right from the opening face, I don't miss a minute of this one.
Speaker 1: So before I do have one more Utah man with a question for you before I set you loose.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like, based off.
Speaker 1: Of the way you've been breaking down the potential of this series and everything I'm kind of reading and watching, you know, there's nothing better than a Game seven and the Stanley Cup playoffs and we didn't get one of the conference finals.
Speaker 2: Does it feel like this has a good chance to go the distance?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Absolutely. And I've always said, and you could hear me say this on the podcast. Sometimes when i'm picking projecting who's going to win the series. I say I go full chicken leaning, I go game seven, because I feel that's the chicken chicken's way out is to say it will go seven. You're really hedging your bets. But in this one, just from watching them last year, just from watching how great they are this year, just from knowing the type of you know, thirst and hunger that these two teams have to win the Cup. They know they are four wins away from, you know, the great trophy of the Stanley Cups. So I would not at all be surprised if it didn't go seven. And as fact, if you made me name how many games is going to go, that's the only one I would say is seven.
Speaker 1: Let's move over to a couple of offseason initiatives and potentials for the Utah Mammoth dads and pieces, and we'll start with the draft where the Utah Mammoth jumped from fourteen to four.
Speaker 2: Here's my question.
Speaker 1: It's just more of a big picture, general type question because I've seen a bunch of mock drafts. I think a lot of people believe the Mammoth need dad to the defensive portion of their team. But for according to what I've read feels like a stretch for even the best defensive players in this draft. How often, and look, they're all unicorns and there are always opportunities that sometimes we don't see. But how often are these young kids ready to play right away?
Speaker 2: When you're drafting at four that's very high?
Speaker 1: Is it realistic for Bill Armstrong and his staff to bring an instant help to the hockey club? Or will be a situation where they draft a young prospect and watch them grow Internashley or and juniors and such.
Speaker 3: It will probably be a case of drafting a young player and watching him get better in junior. Right now, Jcobrien has rated number four in the draft, who's a six' to two center playing In, Branford. Ontario and right behind him Is Raddick, murca who's a six foot five defenseman playing In. Seattle so you, KNOW i don't know how close those two guys are on The mammoths rating of their, scouts but you know you've probably fall in around, there and who, knows maybe they could Play defenceman usually don't play the first year because defense is a much harder position to, learn because one mistake and it could be in your net so a defenseman is it takes more time than a. Forward but it's possible the kid could play this. Year more than likely they'll put him back to give him more time to.
Speaker 1: Develop let me ask you about your former, club The New York, islanders as the lottery delivered a franchise altering opportunity to them with the number one overall, pick and it seems like people debate The Matthew schaeffer kid against The Michael misa. Kid i'm not going to sit, Here neil tell. You i've been grinding tape on either of these two. PLAYERS i don't know anything about. Them do you have a? Preference and who do you think The islanders land on and?
Speaker 3: Why, well first of, all there's a kid From Long island in this, draft rated THIRD i Think James haygenes and plays At Boston, college and so it'll be interesting to see if The islanders are swayed at all by the fact that he's From Long island that they would go that. Direction but you, KNOW i Just shafer And mesa are not that far, APART i. GUESS i, MEAN i would think that usually the guy that was ranked number one in the middle of the season Was Matthew shafer and he's still ranked number one at the end of the. Season that tells me that he's probably going to be number. One but, AGAIN i haven't been grinding tape. Either spend a few how he's, playing all?
Speaker 1: Right BEFORE i say you, lose you, know last week we went over the free agent. List we will not do that again this. Week i'll just ask you this before set you. Lose the projected cap space for The Utah mammoth is about twenty one. Mili they have all their picks and so they have. Optionality is that's the new buzzword in roster construction and pro sports these. Days prior to the start of the, season what would you say to the fan base about what you'd like to See bill and the staff, do just generally, speaking whether it is a continued brick by brick build or maybe expedite the growth of the young players with some veteran.
Speaker 2: Pieces what do you what do you think the.
Speaker 1: Boxes that need to be checked for this hockey team next year to take that proverbial next step and maybe even make the.
Speaker 3: Playoffs, well two Things i'd really like to see them get a player that has a lot of experience maybe a little bit longer in the tooth than the people that they've got there right, now but can bring some pedigree that had been. Winning not a forty year, old BUT i mean certainly somebody that has been around is one and that can help younger. Players eddie And cole there for that very reason. Already So i'd love to see it if they could do. That and then if if they, could and if it fits with their, program AND i know they have the money to get one of these top, guys you, know if they can A, marner A, Besser Nikolai eelers that played In, winnipeg those three seem to be the top three. NAMES i, mean that would give some star power also to The mammoth and perhaps raise them up another notch in the another notch up in the standings and be able to get into the playoffs next.
Speaker 1: Year is there like a Cool Neil Smith Stanley cup final watch party THAT i did get invited?
Speaker 2: To how are you going to be watching the?
Speaker 3: Game, No i'm going to be. Swell the watch party is going to be. Me my eight month old yellow Lab sammy will be sitting on one side of, me and my twelve year old chocolate. LAB aj will be sitting on the other side of. Me we will be staring at an eighty six inch screen THAT i have above my, mantle and we might even have a few beverages. Together i'll bring out their bowl and pour some butt light in their.
Speaker 1: Bowl dogs, welcome people. Tolerated neil is my personal. Philosophy that sounds like a good. Time, hey BEFORE i say you lose our, listeners where they can? Go get that podcast to?
Speaker 2: Yours?
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Apple Apple podcasts platform is. Great you can get it On, spotify you can watch us on. YouTube it's on every platform you can think. Of so whatever platform you use for, podcasts we're on there AT Nhl Wrap, Around and As i've said every, WEEK i think that anybody that listens or watches will learn. Something we've always got entertaining guests and we have a lot.
Speaker 11: Of fun doing.
Speaker 2: It, neil thank, you my. FRIEND i appreciate.
Speaker 1: It excited to get going, tonight so enjoy it with the doggos and we'll chat.
Speaker 3: Soon, Okay, hey did you tell your DAD i was on last? Week remember he was in. TOWN i think WHEN i talked to, YOU i.
Speaker 1: Did, Yeah, NO i let him know AND i sent him the link to our listening to the, interview so hopefully he. Did But i'm gonna let you check in with him on that because he'll lie to me and says he listens every, Day so that's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be up to, you.
Speaker 3: All, Right stay.
Speaker 2: Here thank, You, Neil.
Speaker 1: Neil, smith The Great Neil, smith helping us learn about this pro sport that we now have in this.
Speaker 2: Market always appreciate his.
Speaker 1: Time stops by today courtesy of our friends AT Ifa Country. Stores summer vacations and warmer weather are just beyond the. Horizon as the days grow longer and brightly colored flowers begin making their, Appearance it's time to start planning and Applying step two OF I phase four plus annual long care program that's designed with a blend of vital macro and micro. NUTRIENTS Ifa step two fertilizer promotes strong roots and vibrant colors in your. Yard AT ifa AND Ifa dot co op About Andy larson on the program. Today Saw Lake tribune covers the jazz.
Speaker 4: And it's a.
Speaker 2: Data column for.
Speaker 1: Them we'll do some jazz and SOME nba, drafts SOME nba finals With. Andy Eric Weddle College Football Future hall of famers on the ballot this.
Speaker 2: Year you legend rolls.
Speaker 1: By we'll get to the five o'clock hour of the show before we Say united six in time for The Stanley cup. Playoffs it's your favorite. Nut it's the best. NUT i shout out In nicole in our. Office Love. Nicole she has a lovely basket of. Snacks so if you're not in the mood to spend seven bucks on snickers in our little canteen or whatever the hell it, is you can always walk back and say hello To.
Speaker 2: Nicole she's got some.
Speaker 1: Pistachios she's got some cereal bars and some oatmeal if you'd like, SO i grab some. Pistachios. Pistachios that's got to be on the short list of the best.
Speaker 2: Nut it.
Speaker 4: Does it might be the best.
Speaker 5: Nut but the the caveat on that is that to get to it unless.
Speaker 1: You're, no these are. Shellless that's the, thing you. Know if you're a shellless pistaschio, guy.
Speaker 2: You call me.
Speaker 1: Lazy, no it's just, uh it's it's a it's a. Privilege what are you talking?
Speaker 4: About you, know?
Speaker 1: Peanuts are you SAYING i have white privilege Because i'm eating? Pistachios without. Shows you have pistachio PRIVILEGE a new, thing you. KNOW i like a good CASHIW i like a good salted. Peanut almonds are almonds are? Underrated like smoked. Almonds have you ever tried the wasabi?
Speaker 2: Almonds those are? Good are.
Speaker 5: Lovely i'm a big nut. GUY i LIKE i. Like i'm a trail. Mix it doesn't surprise. YOU a lot of oats and nuts and granola bars and such.
Speaker 2: Best. Nuts shelled pistachios usually.
Speaker 1: Text in eight seven seven three five three. Zero see here's this is a really interesting radio. LESSON i could ask our listeners, like text in who's gonna Win edmonton Or?
Speaker 2: Florida we get two.
Speaker 1: TEXTS i bet right now eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred texts in your favorite, Nut we're about to get fifty.
Speaker 2: Texts you're probably.
Speaker 1: Right that's just how kind of sports talk radio. Works Eric, Weddle College Football hall Of. Famer he's a. Nut he is a nut in a good. Way just to be, clear in a good. WAY i mean this feels, like you, know brainer interesting here From Josh furlong with his breakdout of that.
Speaker 2: EARLIER i did not Know josh was involved with that. Committee.
Speaker 1: Uh, anyway he does not get the votes he needs to make The College Football hall Of.
Speaker 4: Fame there is a.
Speaker 5: Way there's a lot of, ways just because of how it's set up and how many people there are kind of. Eligible you, know he's one of a bunch of different, candidates and some of these, guys Like josh, mentioned are candidates that have been on the ballot for like one hundred. Years, Right so there's quite a few scenarios Which eric doesn't land on The College Football hall Of. Fame BUT i think he's a guy who very much should be. There i'll be, Honest and maybe this is a hot take until you really dive into the. Numbers Eric weddle may have as good or better a case for The Pro Football hall Of fame than he does for the one he just got. Nominated for a guy, that let's be, clear was really good in college played both sides of the, ball but he did leave early and went and started HIS nfl career and is one of like five defensive backs to reach the amount of tackles. Interceptions it's just a remarkable career for a guy, who you, KNOW i think is A hall Of Famer college Pro whichever way you.
Speaker 1: Slice, it we'll get to you at coming up in the four o'clock, hour random, question non secut are you ready for?
Speaker 2: It and the answer may be, simply it's THE.
Speaker 1: Nfl the answer may be, simply it's, football And america loves. Football but it's an interesting dynamic all the. Time for me WHEN i hear people break down AT Nba finals between two teams that play in small. Markets if The Super bowl this year was The steelers and The, packers it would not affect viewership a single. Iota and you don't hear people, say, well The steelers play In pittsburgh and The packers are In Green. Bay yet every time there's AN Nba, finals it doesn't feature The lakers or The celtic Or i'll say the next even though it's been. Years i, mean, hell they almost got there and they fired their coach or the heat or The bulls or. Whatever every time there's AN Nba finals that feature two teams that aren't in big, markets all of the debate shows just hammer. It and you, know we've had some fun with OUR espn, guests guys like mcminnimon and, McMahon those dudes about you, know the fact that they've got to spend the next couple of weeks in Either Oklahoma city Or. Indianapolis by the, Way indianapolis is a very nice. City i've been there several. Times, okay see not so. Much but you never hear this discourse when THE nfl has A Super bowl with two teams that play in smaller. Markets is the answer simply because football is? Football is there something deeper?
Speaker 5: There there's a few ways you can cut that, up because THE nfl is, different. Right number, one when you talk about a small, market Green bay And pittsburgh are not huge, markets but those are also like two of the most historical team like those that's The lakers And. Celtics when you TALK nfl, right when you're talking about historical, relevance when you're talking about it's almost flipped where even though they're not in huge markets In Green bay and In, pittsburgh they kind of flip the script on who's. Notable AND i think there's some truth to the fact that it is THE. Nfl you, know you play sixteen to twenty games every year and you really don't have any trouble selling those games on site ON. Tv there's really there's nothing that's going to hold you back in that. REGARD I i don't, know, MAN i just think that there is there's a little bit more paid attention to number. One the Super bowl is always on its own, place, Right it's always a neutral, Event.
Speaker 4: So that's a, different different. Scenario BUT.
Speaker 14: I don't.
Speaker 5: Know for, me that's that's something THAT i think that they you just got to get. Over in the sports, world these are all we're talking about small. Markets they're still like when you're talking about global. Scale these are, huge giant cities that are more than capable of putting on an, event putting on a. Showcase and you know when THE nba starts to have players that are not excited to go to certain cities and not excited to play here and there there's media members covering. IT i think there's kind of a culture around. Basketball maybe, that as you, mentioned is something, deeper because to, me it's it doesn't hit the, radar but it does seem to be a conversation on basketball spheres really.
Speaker 1: Often and there are the there's a little apples and oranges.
Speaker 2: Here the Super bowl is a one. Off it's a.
Speaker 1: Game it's one, game, right and so these media members and by the, way AND i don't mean this disrespectfully To Green.
Speaker 2: Bay i've never been To. Lambeau it's on my bucket.
Speaker 1: List don't mean this disrespectfully To pittsburgh Or buffalo or. Wherever the conversation might sound different if media, members fans or. Whatever and The Super bowl changes, venues and oftentimes the venues in the cities are cool cities and destination. Places so you're not necessarily going to live In Green bay for the next two weeks to Watch Green bay Play. Pittsburgh you're not going to live In buffalo respectfully In, February january And, february where it is miserable in Western New york to watch The bills play. Whoever for the course of it really probably does boil down to.
Speaker 2: The Super bowls a one. Off it's one.
Speaker 1: Game it is an event where people that oftentimes don't know anything about football or THE nfl go To Super bowl parties or have people at their house and you have dinner and you play the square, game and you have some fun side things going, on and the kids are out like it's an event in the way THE Nba finals is. Not and if this thing goes seven, Games Oklahoma city And indianapolis if it goes seven, games media members and. Fans if you're AN nba fan and you have the means and the time on your hands to go to THE Nba, finals you will exist In Oklahoma city In indiana for the better part of two.
Speaker 2: Weeks that's a different.
Speaker 1: Ask so maybe it's as reductive as The Super bowl is one, game it's one. Day it's IN la it's In, glendale it's In, florida it's wherever In New york one, year so you only have to go there for one. Day you don't have to go exist in the city or in the cities that you don't necessarily necessarily want to be in for longer than just a few.
Speaker 2: Hours so there's probably something.
Speaker 1: There and it is interesting when it comes to viewership and. Eyeballs nothing adversely affects in THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl.
Speaker 1: Nothing sunday night football is the highest watched television show period in The United. States there's not a higher watched, show not an award, show not a finale of. Whatever like more people sit down on A sunday night to WATCH nfl football than any other television experience that we have in the, country, period and THE Nba finals draws healthy. Ratings but when you and this goes into the market conversation that we just don't have when we're talking about. Football Nicks pacers ratings FOR tnt through the, Roof Oklahoma, City, Minnesota Western Conference finals ratings FOR espn on that side of things lower than it's BEEN i think since twenty. Sixteen and The timberwolves are awesome And Oklahoma city is like historically.
Speaker 2: Special but because it wasn't.
Speaker 1: The lakers against The mavericks or whatever it, Was Western Conference finals ratings. Down and it has zero to do with whether or not these are good. Teams it has nothing to do with the. Product The timberwolves in The thunder are both really. Good they're both probably better than The. Knicks Nicks, pacers of, course features a team that exists In New, york the number one media market in the, country and the ratings for that series through the roof just kind of interested and, considered because nothing adversely affects ratings for pro. Football all, RIGHT i want to tell you about my new friends At Utah Elite. Services with summer on the, way it's the perfect time to be introducing our newest partner of THE Espn Sports. Network Utah Elite services Are utah grown asphalt maintenance and concrete repair. Company we've seen, rain, snow and, wind and now we're going to see some. Heat your concrete has been through a. Lot if you see any cracks or extreme damage that needs to be, fixed Give Utah Elite services a. Call corey's team can take care of, crack, ceiling, coating, striping, right striping not. Stripping, hey don't. Judge don't judge me WHEN i first heard about. These you know our guys and what they. Do you strip decks and. Such that's a thing for the, people, right you're not. Wrong what's? STRIPING i you even know.
Speaker 5: Like paint paint? Stripes, okay well maybe they can put stripes on your.
Speaker 1: Parking BUT i bet they stripped things, too basketball court, Lines, yeah, okay they can do. That maybe stripping. TOO i think it's a different place you call for. That all, Right well anyway you need behave, Yourself. Okay our friends At Utah Lead services can help you. Out if you see some cracks in your. Concrete if you see extreme damage that needs to be, Fixed so, again, crack, ceiling, coating striping or, stripping just give them a. Call Asphalt overlays complete tear out and replacement of your. Concrete don't let the concrete outside of your, home, condo or even business be a sore.
Speaker 2: Thumb get it fixed With Utah Lead.
Speaker 1: Services Give Utah Lead services a call for a no, cost no obligation estimate at eight oh, one eight two one eighty six.
Speaker 2: Seventy that's eight oh one eight two one eight sixty seven.
Speaker 1: Zero Stanley Cup Finals game One Tonight Oilers panthers rematch of The Stanley Cup finals from a year ago will be heard on this little old radio station beginning at six. O'clock after we say good, Night Eric weddle is going to join. US e wed is a finals for The College Football hall Of fame Former Youth, legend so stay tuned for. That but we'll start out the four o'clock hour of the program With Andy, Larson Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: Tribune, Andy Happy. Wednesday how are we?
Speaker 8: Doing i'm good, Man how are you?
Speaker 2: Good give me.
Speaker 1: A bucket list destination geographically somewhere in the world that you've never been to that you'd like to.
Speaker 14: VISIT i sell them Into italy AND i need to do. That and then Like i've been trying to figure out like where and how to do A japan Or korea or something like that trip.
Speaker 8: Given the language.
Speaker 14: Barrier LIKE i don't know if it's a tour guide situation or, what but Probably italy is my nuber one.
Speaker 1: Answer solf can highly Recommend. Tokyo i've decided my next stop is going to Be. Australia i've never been To. Australia have you?
Speaker 14: BEEN i Have in twenty, nineteen right before the world set, DOWN i did as around The world, tour which was. Awesome spent two weeks, there bounced around different, cities went to The Great Barrier. Reefs it was truly. Awesome you Won't, yeah you need to go as through as you.
Speaker 2: Can what's your? Favorite what's your favorite?
Speaker 1: NUT i WAS i was munching on some pistachios. EARLIER i feel like pistachios has to be high on anyone's.
Speaker 11: List that's a good.
Speaker 14: Question i've been feeling Like cashew's.
Speaker 8: Right right recently was really really. Good, Nice So i'll go with.
Speaker 2: That where do you get your Frid, Rise? Sandy?
Speaker 14: SO i used to get it from this place called My tie on thirteenth and Third, west but it just closed about a month, ago So i'm kind of on the lookout for new. Spots you, know that place was right by the jazz practice, facility so it's, perfect you, know after, practice go and get Some Frida rice and it was. Awesome and they the owner retired after seventeen years just you, know she was time and so, YEAH i got to, Say i'm certain if you haven't good, ideas let.
Speaker 2: Me, know watching ANY tv shows these?
Speaker 8: Days, Andy, OH i don't think.
Speaker 14: So i'm watching the. Sports i'm, sorry it's it's important. Sports then you dating?
Speaker 4: Anyone uh, no.
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: Movie oh, yeah you gotta be. Careful you gotta be, Careful. Andy all, right we can move. ON i, mean kind of a weird mood on A. Wednesday several reasons, why but let's move.
Speaker 2: On all.
Speaker 1: Right let me ask you. This did you catch wind of This Austin ange? Situation did you know this was in the pipeline or did it catch you off guard the way that it seems to have got everybody off?
Speaker 8: Guard, YEAH i, mean, yeah it caught me off. GUARD i did not.
Speaker 14: KNOW i knew that there were changes in the front, office AND i knew that and we reported some of, them, right like The Carlos boozer. Thing there are a couple of Other jazz staffers who are no longer going to be with the team moving, forward and now in the wake Of Austin ange being, hired looking like maybe there could be more. CHANGES i, truly you, KNOW i don't want to say anything without having that confirmed for multiple, sources because obviously this is people's. Livelihoods BUT i knew that there were changes being. MADE i thought they were happening at lower, levels, Right LIKE i thought essentially the team was upset with kind of their scouting and player player, development not player development player scouting, setup so that you, know they made SOME i think some kind of weird draft choices of the last couple of. Years they haven't really identified that star and so just talent RECOGNITION i think was kind of lacking Since Dennis lindsay was let, go and SO i do think there was room to hire. Someone But i'm surprised that it was at the president of basketball operations. Level i'm Surprised Austin angel is the number one. Guy and, YEAH i had no idea that it was going to be often moving moving over.
Speaker 2: Here what other changes AND i may have missed.
Speaker 1: Something so for our, Listeners Carlos boozer has been added to the staff as a. Scout AND i know you said you did not want to pontificate on, possibilities AND i respect that because people's jobs are important to. Them but what other changes are you alluding to THAT i may have missed?
Speaker 14: Changes so, Again i'm trying to not use names here and until it's, announced until they find new jobs and stuff like. That but, yeah it seems like in the fourth or fifth level of the organization maybe names that aren't familiar to fans but are names more familiar TO jevb writers and you, know obviously people my people in the day to day workings of THE.
Speaker 2: Orc all, right ten ten?
Speaker 1: Four how do you THINK I i asked a couple of guests, this And i'll preface.
Speaker 2: It with you the same WAY i have with.
Speaker 1: Them there are THIRTY nba general manager jobs and if you have, one you are very happy to have one despite these circumstances around. You And Justin zander is coming off a very trying year where he had some serious health, complications and you, Know i've seen him a couple of times since and seeing him interviewed since seems like he's doing. Well So i'm not implying anything at all with the, question nor AM i leading the. WITNESS i am wondering what you believe to be Jay z's reaction to kind of the changes around him in his place in this new, ecosystem.
Speaker 8: Look publicly and privately from all.
Speaker 14: All reports That i've heard about, THIS i haven't talked to JAY z about, it but like.
Speaker 8: Is that he is taking this positively right like he, is you, know saying all the right. Things he, is you, know.
Speaker 14: Saying, hey, look you know That austin will be added it to our, department and you know what's best for The jazz is what's best for, me and all that kind of good. STUFF i also know how general managers, think AND i know how executives, think AND i know how does people. Think and the truth, is if you were general manager a, team you if they go to somebody else to hire the president of basketball, operations and not only just another teams general, manager but another team's assistant general, manager a person lower on the totem pole than you, are then you probably don't feel great about. It and it is probably the kind of thing that makes you want to look. Around, now look Like justin has a, contract and you, KNOW i think is well respected AND i think does have a lot to add to this. Organization BUT i did think it was interesting That Ryan smith made it extremely clear who was in charge when he did not do that in The Danny aingecrest.
Speaker 8: Conference AND i.
Speaker 14: Think it was interesting that he drew such a dividing line Between austening just skills And Justin vennox, skills where you, know he, said, hey, Look justin's you, know came up through the agency, space and as good as that is good at dealing with players and that sort of, Thing whereas they feel That austin came up through the scouting and, coaching it has that experience and so we'll be able to add kind of those, again, players valuation and talent and scout talent scouting to the. Organization and kind of the implicit statement there is they don't feel Like justin has done a great job of. That, now, look you, Know justin hasn't been totally in charge over the last three. Years it's Been Danny ainge, too and Mostly Danny. Inge there was a period of time Where justin was the number one guy after they've Fired Dennis lindsay and you ended up with The Rudy gay, summer, Right so it wasn't like a unadulterated. Success BUT i do think you, Know justin sent some good things as well and made them smart. MOVES i think fIF year's trade, deadline, frankly was really well, handled and so you want that kind of guy. Around it's just whether or not he wants to be, around AND i think, that's you, know still kind of an open. Question if he can get another better job from ANOTHER nba, team it wouldn't be super surprising to see him take it so.
Speaker 1: Andy as a nineteen year, old between my freshman and sophomore year at The university of You tai did an internship At Madison Square.
Speaker 2: Garden WHERE i had a connection, loosely.
Speaker 1: And my internship that summer was in the customer relations, department where my job was to answer phone calls from Angry New yorkers that didn't Enjoy Billy joel the night before or.
Speaker 2: Whatever it was very, interesting AND.
Speaker 1: I worked in a department of people and a lot of them were almost nervous to have me around and didn't really like to talk to.
Speaker 7: Me very.
Speaker 1: MUCH i really had one. Friend his name Was Dave. Snowden ironically, enough he's still. There he founded The wheelchair next and he's the sweetest. Guy and went to dinner one, night And i'm, like, dude why don't these people just feel like they. Can i'm a normal. Person you can come talk to me And i'll talk to. You and he'd laid a line on me at the age of nineteen THAT i still talk about and think about to this. Day and he, Said, spence it's important that at this point in your life you understand one very simple, truth and that is nobody cheers for the son of a famous.
Speaker 2: Father so thank. You, okay there you.
Speaker 1: Go so we move into this space WHERE i feel like it's easy to have a conversation where two things can be. True That austin benefited greatly from his last name and who his father, was And austin has put in the groundwork and as the resume to qualify himself for a hire such as, this is that fair to?
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 8: Yeah he, LOOKED i think.
Speaker 10: SO i.
Speaker 14: Think you, know if you look at another team and they higher off, nnge it's a little bit of a stretch because he's an ASSISTANT, gm not A, gm, right, like but given The celtics success over the last, decade, like it does make, sense, Right and so that's the thing that The jazz can stand on on this is that look, like, hey it's you, know he does have he is well, respected he does have a ton of. Success and it's hard to, know you know, exactly you, know who Drafted Jason tatum instead Of Markel, foltz and who Drafted Jalen brown and who you, know but like Clearly austin was at least a round during those times and helped make good. Choices so you, know it's hard to, say, like, hey this is a. Catastrophe BUT i do think you, know like this is kind of a nepotism, thing is you, know maybe it prevents you from opening up the job to other. Names AND i think that's WHERE i think you can have some real criticism for The. Jazz is, like if you are trying to compete in a thirty TEAM, mba you want to know as much about your competition as, possible and one of the easiest ways to do that is by having a round of significant and serious interviews for A president Of Basketball OPERATION, slot, right like learn how these guys, think learn what they would do with your, roster get some free, consulting frankly, right and for them to kind of have bypass that in order to, hire you, know the son of THE ceo and the guy who's friends with the. Owner, like, look it, is it's, sketchy it's it's not. Great it's a really bad. Look AND i think the rest of THE nba was talking all about it this. Week SO i think that's WHERE i think you can have significant. Criticism is, like, look if you do it an overall search of the whole market and, say, Hey Austin ange is the best. Guy, cool but you should really have again serious and significant interviews with other candidates in order to make that in order to make that, determination rather than, Well danny Thinks Atin age is. Great Ryan smith Says Austin age is. Great Will hardy Says Austin ange is. Great it's, like, well you, know, yes for, Sure LIKE i think the reality is probably The Atome ange is. Great and yet also there are a gazillion other very smart men and, WOMEN i, guess covering and LEADING nba franchises right now that you also could have talked to for this. Role and chose not. To AND i think that's the disappointing part of. IT i think from a jazz, perspective.
Speaker 2: Did it feel like to?
Speaker 1: You AND i guess i'll use a gen z, saying as the kids would, say doing too much or extra or. Whatever did it feel like to you in the statements that were released and the comments mainly By ryan that they just overcooked the qualifications That austin, has that they just overcooked the whole like without really saying the quiet part out, loud Like danny wasn't even, quoted and it was never even acknowledging any of the. Statements did it feel like to you that they were making a little bit too much of an, effort being a little extra when it came to just pointing out all of the Things austin has done in the? Statements and were you surprised That danny was not quoted nor was he available at the media?
Speaker 2: Availability?
Speaker 14: No AND i, MEAN i GUESS i don't think they're doing like you kind of have to if you're if you are The Pierre department of The jazz and you're put in this position right like that's the thing you have to. Do you have to Say, hey you, know this Is.
Speaker 8: Danny ings hiring his. Son it's, like look at all the things off the names of.
Speaker 14: Son you have to give the fans the reason to, believe because if you do, that the fans are gonna believe because they're. FANS i.
Speaker 8: DID i was skeptical with.
Speaker 14: The idea That ryan just Told danny Called danny up One dan said HE i want to hire your son to be president of basketball, operations, right you, KNOW i Think bryan And danny talk more often than that for it to have just been, like, hey.
Speaker 8: Got some bad or weird news That i'm hiring your, kid.
Speaker 14: You, Know LIKE I i just am skeptical that that's how that went. Down but, yeah, LOOK i, mean if you are if you're trying to spend as any if you are at all, professional you're trying to spend it at least a little, bit and the only way to spend it is by saying That austen is, qualified you. Know but you know in terms of he is going to be a relatively young general manager OR i guess relatively young professional president of basketball, operations and you, know like while he does have fourteen years of experience in The Boston celtics organization or whatever it, is. Seventeen, like you, know it's not all that has been as assistant general. Manager it's also been at like the scouting level and stuff like. That, Right, like so, again it's a reasonable resume and a relatively good, one especially given how good The celtics has. Been but that's what you had to. Do if you're The. Jazz you can't just, say, well there's A Danny angels kid and and try to spend it that.
Speaker 1: Way skeptical That ryan didn't talk to there's no shot in hell are you? Kidding that was the most insulting part of the entire, Scenario, like, Hey danny's been completely kept out of The he had no IDEA i was doing. THIS i just told him like, dude, like what do you, Mean, Andy there's no chance that was the. Case almost insulting that that was said out.
Speaker 14: Loud, yeah, LOOK i Mean ryan likes to tell a yarn that's probably not super based in.
Speaker 11: Reality Sometimes i've.
Speaker 8: Done it at press conferences.
Speaker 14: BEFORE i, mean even Katz to copied like the Old Greg miller gas station, story, right, LIKE i am you know that's That's Ryan.
Speaker 1: Smith yes it, Is, yes it is and you, KNOW i guess if it's working for, you just keep rolling with.
Speaker 2: It but, yeah there's no.
Speaker 1: Shot but when it comes to The danny angle, Here i've always been skeptical personally of really just how for lack of a better, term invested in the day to day process That danny is with the entire. Thing, NOW i want to be very, Fair danny retired when he left The. Celtics he. Retired he didn't move out here to work for The. Jazz, okay that wasn't the reason he moved To. Utah he moved To utah to be around his. Family And i've never believed, now, look he's at the. GAMES i see him at, GAMES i see him at. Events i'm not saying he's never. There but you reference kind of the original ambiguity When danny was hired in the messaging From jazz ownership about Like i've always drawn the parallel between The Jim, Halpert Michael scott off his, stuff big picture of day to day and was kind of, like who's doing what all? Right and it's kind of get you, know does this to you indicate That danny might even be a little bit further removed in valuing his riverside tea times and hanging out with his. Grandkids now That austin is in place and will be in place for a, while do you Think danny's going to be even a little bit further removed from the.
Speaker 14: Scenario i'll say, this like over the last couple of, years If danny was truly, removed like he was way more involved THAN i thought he would be from that press, conference right like he was at random stars games THAT i was at that you, know THE G League College City, stars but he had no reason to be at, whatsoever, Right like you can successfully delegate the tense man role on The Coalege City stars and feel pretty good about it if You're Danny, inge and he, didn't like he was involved in that kind of weird stuff like and so and was involved like was that morning shoot arounds again for games that did not matter and just was was around again more than it did scouting trips to the middle of the country on the for. Players you wouldn't think That Danny ainge if he were truly you, know like just doing the golf tea time thing that he would have been involved. IN i think he. Was that being, SAID i also had that same thought that you, did like, That, hey maybe this is a way to Get danny to where he wants to, be where he feels comfortable golfing more and being with his grandkids more and all.
Speaker 11: That kind of.
Speaker 14: STUFF i could absolutely. See, hey that's why the jazz decided to add another the louder voice of the. Room and of course you can Get danny on board by making It. Austin, so you, KNOW i think that's it's very plausible that that's what. Happened but we'll see over the next course a couple of. Years you, know LIKE i was surprised at how involved he was, before now it could be surprised, again all.
Speaker 1: Right in the spirit of listening to what these people say and then trying to understand what actually is. Real let's move over to the response That austin gave to the question that our very Own SEAN i'llcdda asked about his personal philosophy on tanking and manipulating, lineups to Which austin, responded you will not see that this. Year austin went on our Guy John paul's, PODCAST i would encourage people to go check Out Roundball roundup and expanded on the Answer so, Look, andy we know the deal. Here it's a top eight protected pick that goes To Oklahoma, city who most likely is about to win A world, championship and then over the next week or, so AND i would view it as an epic failure if that pick had to be conveyed TO. Okc if The jazz win thirty four to thirty five games and end up drafting ninth in the lottery and that goes To Oklahoma, CITY i view holding on to that asset as important as anything else this. Year so if we Take austin at his word that they will approach this season with more integrity than they did in years past and front facing about injuries and availability and not wait to get fined and then Have walker shoot seven threes a game and we actually see a serious basketball team this. Year can they do that while also maintaining the spot they need to maintain to hold onto their draft.
Speaker 14: Capital it becomes, really really, hard even if you trade the, Veterans, like that's the tricky spot for. Me so you, know you can trade lowerry, marketing you could probably trade Toll in, zests and you can probably Trade John. COLLINS i don't think you can Trade Jordan, clarkson unless it's packaged in a deal where you're giving up. VALUES i don't think they're going to get a lot for those, guys BUT i think you can move them if you'd. Like but how whoever you get back is at least going to have salaries and at least it's going to be on the, roster and you, know like you'll have to play those guys.
Speaker 8: Too you can't get you know.
Speaker 14: What's got a combined eighty million dollars in money off your books without taking some veteran contract. Back who, then, yes under kind of the often names we won't tank, rule that you would have to. Play and if you look at the bottom eight of last Year's Draft pree, lottery all of those teams tanked to some. Degree none were as you know extreme as The, jazz but Like washington definitely thinks at the end of the Year New orleans Did brooklyn tank from the beginning of the, year Trading Dennis ruder a year in.
Speaker 8: A month into the.
Speaker 14: Season you, know let's, See philadelphia definitely thanks at the end of the. Year The spurs even tanked Once Webben yama got. Hurt like everyone actually was tanking.
Speaker 8: By the end of the.
Speaker 14: Year SO i find it difficult to imagine that the Jazz i won't have to do that to some degree In march And april in order to stay quote unquote competitive or really anti. Competitive, Right, like there's a real chance that if they try their hardest in all eighty two games next, year that they end up, with, yeah that ninth pick and then you just give it away.
Speaker 8: To The Olahoma City.
Speaker 11: Thunder SO.
Speaker 14: I think you have to be really careful about how that plays, out and you, know and then if you do keep one Of lowry Or Collin sexton Or John, collins then all of a sudden you add more wins and get even closer to that. Line so it's a really fine line that they're kind of dropt to. Get AND i think ultimately what's gonna end up happening is you, say, hey, no we're not going to tank it all this, year and then you, know you end up just tanking In, March, rapril or maybe somebody gets.
Speaker 8: Hurt and you get a little bit luck that.
Speaker 14: Way but from WHAT i, hear it is much more likely that the jazz are bad next year and kind of embrace that from just a player talent point of view than that they like try to be good and trade for three stars or something like.
Speaker 1: That so The washington model is something That i've been considering over the past twenty four or forty eight hours or, whatever.
Speaker 2: Because washington actually did.
Speaker 1: Try but what they Did Billel kolabali Bub carrington And Jordan poole is just a perfect vet to tank on your. Roster they traded, kus they Played Alex, sar they Played Kaishawan, george they Played Corey. Kisbert so What washington did, is, yeah technically they traded For, middleton but he didn't really play much for, them neither Did Malcolm, brogden and they moved on From kuzma and, Again pools the type of vet you want on your team if you're trying to, lose because he doesn't necessarily play winning basketball when he's a main. Cog so they essentially played all young guys And Jordan. Poole so is there a world where the Jazz as Jettison lowry and maybe Even walker And collins And section or whoever they, can and they add the two first rounders this year and maybe even the two second rounders to the group of young players and we see something LIKE i don't, Know John collins playing the role Of Jordan, poole surrounded by a bunch of, kids and then they do go try and play, hard but they're not good enough and they win twenty.
Speaker 2: Games, again is that a scenario you could?
Speaker 14: See, YEAH i think that's the most likely. SCENARIO i would just also say that That washington team is, tanked like they you pointed out they didn't Play Chris middleton at the end of the, year like they didn't Play Marcus marit very. Much you, know like they were making decisions in the fourth quarter of games that meant that they were trying to lose, them, Right LIKE i watched The wizards BECAUSE i cared about whether or not The jazz got the first or second seat in THE nba draft, Standings like they were trying to lose. Games, now, look they probably would have finished bottom eight kind of, regardless, Right, like they probably end up in that bottom five. Spot but if you, again you want to actually compete in the in the tank rates to be a bottom eight, TEAM i do think you have to tank even to like That wizard's degree of you, know, yeah sitting In, middleton for, example so, look, YEAH i think that is probably the most likely outcome for The jazz this, year which is not going to be super fun, basketball but at least we'll like feel a little bit less gross opening.
Speaker 2: Night which vets on the roster now are on the. Roster THEN.
Speaker 14: I don't, KNOW i, MEAN i, YEAH i don't.
Speaker 8: Know they're going to try to trade all of, THEM.
Speaker 10: I.
Speaker 8: Think, SO i, mean, look you you at least have to have the.
Speaker 14: Conversation you if you Bring lowery in with the you, know and LET'S i don't Think Walker caster is a vet. Yet so if you Bring lowry And walker into the, season AND i think that's like a twenty five win, team you, know, like AND i think that is again really close to that eighth spot where you're giving up giving up the pick of The Oclaba City. Thunder so you at least have to have the. Conversations and our Guy Tony jones is On twitter today telling everyone That lowry has remained retained.
Speaker 8: All of his.
Speaker 14: Value So i've never been more convinced that The jazz are going to try.
Speaker 1: To Trade oh, dear oh, dear what would be? Okay, so AND i tend to agree with, you what would be the type of return you, Think, WELL i Guess i'll Say, Austin, now what sort of return does An Austin ainge look for while shopping lowry?
Speaker 2: Marketing is it?
Speaker 1: STRAIGHT i, mean there are rules, here and The jazz don't have cap. Space they can't just absorb, contracts so you do have to match money Unless John collins shocks us all and walks away from the player option and we have a different. Conversation but when you get there and if you get a, release if we all get a, release, like, hey The jazz have traded of lowry market and what type of return you Think austin's looking?
Speaker 8: For, YEAH i.
Speaker 14: Mean you're you're looking for salary, Release you're hoping for an interesting young, player and then you're hoping for a pick or. TWO i, MEAN i think last.
Speaker 8: Year that was essentially The warriors, trade.
Speaker 14: Right like was a couple of first round picks And jonathan cominga was kind of the, hope and you, know you're kind of hoping for that same thing as last. YEAR i made fun Of tony in the last, answer, LIKE i do think you can get something semi similar to what you were. OFFERED i just think that it can come from fewer. Teams it's it's tricky because you, know The, WARRIORS i think you can worry about them in the long, term but they also have so much money that they can kind of play it like The lakers a little bit and just kind of stay in that seventh to tenth spot for a. While so you don't love getting their. Picks but it's hard to, know you, KNOW i don't know that there's a team that you're really excited on betting on their picks that are going to be trading for lowry. Either SO i do anticipate a ton of player movement this, year AND i think just like being part of a three or fourteen trade could be the outcome. Here and that's you know where like a guy Like Justin zanik is actually really useful because he does have those connections around the. League so, YEAH i, MEAN i don't know exactly how that plays, out but that's my guess is like some salary release pick or two and an interesting young, player.
Speaker 1: All, right we're going to revisit it every. Week can tell the. Draft luckily it's only a couple of. Weeks but BEFORE i, set you loose the Current Andy larson opinion of best case scenario at five for The jazz is who and?
Speaker 14: Why probably V jay income right, now AND i don't know. THAT i think it's unlikely that he falls to, five but if he, DOES i think that's probably best case BECAUSE i LIKE i like his, TOOLS i like his production as a. Freshman his stats are actually better THAN i think he's given credit. FOR i thought he measured out well at the combine AND i think he's the kind of tough minded defensive. Type the off name said that he was interested in right, LIKE i think that you can question that with other guys at the top of this, Draft Ace, Bailey i'm just going to say the, name AND i don't think you have to worry about that very much with, me Jas.
Speaker 1: Come we don't have time to talk about oursel and, HONESTLY i don't want To, Andy So i'm going to set you loose on A wednesday and we'll chat.
Speaker 2: Soon but, okay sounds.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 8: Thanks then get to the five o'clock.
Speaker 1: Hour the program tonight and get you ready For game one of The Stanley Cup finals With edmonton And, florida rematch of last Year's Stanley cup matchup to win seven Games Neil smith will roll. By good stuff From Josh furlong And Andy larson so far, today but let's bring in our, Guy Youte legends and Future hall Of Famer Eric weddle on A wednesday. Afternoon, Ewent Happy, wednesday, man how you doing doing?
Speaker 10: Amazing thanks for having me.
Speaker 7: On we can't say Future all Of famer yet because we don't, know you, know voting can get, crazy so we'll say maybe soon to Be hall Of famer would have a nice ring to.
Speaker 1: It, okay fair, enough fair, Enough i'm, optimistic you, wed BUT i am not. You SO i will ask you where were you when you found out this news and what was your? Reaction BECAUSE i always find it interesting talking to people like you that have achieved something like, this and you, know you hear a lot of musicians or athletes or the people that have achieved say things like my dreams never got, There LIKE i never really dreamed to be A hall Of.
Speaker 2: Famer was this a goal of?
Speaker 1: Yours or is this one of those things like a potential accomplishment that you didn't even allow your mind to get.
Speaker 7: To, YEAH i MEAN i don't think.
Speaker 13: You're playing a team.
Speaker 7: SPORT i don't think anyone goes in thinking they want to end up A hall Of, famer it's just kind of you, KNOW i could be. Wrong maybe it's Like Deon sanders might have thought that because he was just that incredibly talented and knew that of himself early. On but for, myself it was just man living, living living it up and having an opportunity to play college ball is where few and far between get. That SO i was trying to make the most every, day and then you, know those things kind of fall into place when you're around good, people great, coaches great, university great. Teammates like it never happens by, yourself especially in. Football so if something like this ever does happen for, me it's it's definitely a group.
Speaker 2: Effort where were you when you heard the news and what was your?
Speaker 7: Reaction he, went, Well Mark harlan actually reached out to, me shot me a text, like, oh this is great first step and getting into the College Football hall Of, Fame AND i. DIDN'T i didn't know what he was talking. About SO i was doing some other things AND i didn't responded back BECAUSE i didn't know if it was meant for me or someone. Else BECAUSE i DIDN'T i didn't have like there was no news that the, time and then of course the post started coming out in the news stating THAT i was a finalist for. It SO i was just out at the high school with the football. Team we just finished up spring, ball so just coaching these kids up AND i got the, news and you, know it's, humbling, obviously it's, exciting and again it's not not ever. Done no success on the football that happens because of the. Individual it's always about the. Team SO i just think about my teammates and think about the. TEAM i think about the love Of utah THAT i have in that, university and just thankful THAT i ended up at the place THAT i was meant to be.
Speaker 1: At have you allowed yourself to think about what that phone call would be like if you hear that you have indeed been. Inducted have you allowed your mind to go?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 3: Nah, NAH i.
Speaker 2: DON'T i.
Speaker 7: DON'T i don't think too far.
Speaker 3: Ahead And.
Speaker 8: I'm a guy that hopes for the but.
Speaker 7: Prepared for the. Worst SO i don't let myself get too far down that road.
Speaker 11: Because it's just it's not my.
Speaker 7: Mentality when it, happens it'll, be it'll be fresh and it'll be, new And i'll enjoy it if it, happens and if, not Then i'll just go about my day LIKE i always.
Speaker 2: Do that's a great.
Speaker 1: Attitude BUT i will follow up with what would it mean to you if you do get that call and the news is you're in, man what would that mean to?
Speaker 13: You, well you, know it's it's A it means you're you're an all time, Great you're you're you less lasting.
Speaker 7: Impression on the field and off. Of very few do AND i THINK i don't. KNOW i think the numbers around thirteen hundred College Football hall Of. Famer so to be in that mix and to be said and looked at as A hall Of famer is a very very.
Speaker 11: Unique and humbling.
Speaker 7: Proposition it's to really wrap your head around it is kind of. Hard it's kind of hard to do BECAUSE i, don't you, know people know. ME i don't look at myself in that. INSTANCE i THINK i put it all out, there AND i think in the COLLEGE i said this a couple of days. AGO i think The College Football hall Of FAME i could sit there and, say, YEAH i THINK i was one of the best in that sense WHERE i could be labeled.
Speaker 11: As A hall Of.
Speaker 7: Fame, now THE nfl is a whole different, animal WHICH i don't think in my, opinion but the college, football LIKE i could sit there and, say, YEAH i belong with one of the best in those names that are, Enshrined so it would be incredible and, humbling and TRULY i would probably be lost for, words If i'm being.
Speaker 1: Honest, Okay i'm glad you said what you just, said BECAUSE i was going to follow up with, this like you do know that you are an all time, great, right like you're aware of exactly what you mean to the program around?
Speaker 6: Here, Correct, WELL i mean, YEAH i know, it And i'm loved and you know that place is a very special place in my.
Speaker 7: Heart so IT'S i. Know, now there are so many great, Players so where do you rank? THEM i kind of in the old adage Of jordan of you, know rank me where you rank, Them but you can't put me ahead of people that played twenty years before, me thirty forty fifty. Years LIKE i respect the game way too, much BUT i do Know i'm loved and. APPRECIATED i know that around the.
Speaker 1: University, okay, okay fair, enough fair, enough BECAUSE i MEAN i appreciate the. ATTITUDE i respect the, Endeavor but as a, player you were a. Killer you know you, Were SO i wonder how you balance out being such a killer on the field while maintaining more of a balanced approach just as a.
Speaker 7: Human, WELL i mean that you cross that white. Line at any point in my, career WHETHER i was a true freshman at The university Of utah or fourteenth year coming off the street two years, retired my goal in mindset, Was I'm i'm here to annihilate my. Opposition i'm not here to make. Friends i'm not here when it's my job is on the. Line, yes WHEN i get off the white, Line i'm a great, teammate AND i love my teammates and this and. That but MY i have a job to, do and it's every rep is a chance to prove THAT i belong on this, field leading this. Team so it's a very easy switch to turn on and, off AS i learned to do over the course of my college years and then in THE. Nfl but it's a doggy dog, world and if you don't have that, mindset you will get eaten up and spit. Out and So i'd rather be on the other side of eating than getting spit.
Speaker 1: OUT i WONDER i wanted to ask this today BECAUSE i come from the family eric WHERE i am the oldest of six AND i am the only one of the six that went to The university Of.
Speaker 2: Utah the other five all went TO, byu.
Speaker 1: And they all, Married they all married spouses they met AT byu and they, all, sure.
Speaker 7: You're you're, outnumbered my.
Speaker 2: Friend OH i y, ah my chose. Truth ewett is HOW i like to put.
Speaker 1: It, uh you, know OBVIOUSLY i like to rid, them AND i, mean, look it's all, love it's all. Good and you, know a lot of the coaches down there and they are all of my, brothers they went TO. Byu they always say you're the ute that they wish was a, cougar and you're the ute that they just cannot say anything negative.
Speaker 2: About does that jive with your?
Speaker 1: Experience does it feel like you have that universal respect from both these fan bases up.
Speaker 7: Here, WELL i think it's it's you, know to hear that is really it makes me.
Speaker 8: Smile it makes ME.
Speaker 7: I don't like to say it like and moments where you're proud of, yourself BUT i truly am proud of HOW i try to represent myself and my family and my, name my last, name and even more so in the grand scheme of. Things we're all here for a, purpose and we can get all riled, up and at the end of the, day it's about respecting your opponent no matter, what and speaking and treating your opponent in that type of. FASHION i want to be treated as how others treat, me and so to hear THAT i do smile AND i am proud of that BECAUSE i tried to represent myself in a way that most people will be proud to have me on their, team regardless of the. Rivalry and, SHOOT i am so close with coaches on both, sides even AT byu talk to those guys right just as. Much and those men that are in those leadership roles mentoring. ROLES i tip my hat to all of, them especially the one THAT i love and care, for because they are men THAT i look up to and that are changing the trajectory of these young. Men and so both programs have great men that are lead them and women that are in within the facility and doing all the great things like they're really top notch programs THAT i am awesome to be affiliated with through friendships and.
Speaker 1: FAMILY i wonder if you feel comfortable because the relationships you have with your former coaches and, teammates, that's you, know that's a sacred. Space AND i have been close enough in in locker rooms and around teams THAT i respect that. Space BUT i wonder if you'd feel comfortable sharing whether or not you heard From morgan Or Coach witt Or klani when the news came down that you're on The hall Of fame.
Speaker 2: Ballot what other phone calls did you? Receive.
Speaker 7: You, Yeah Coach wit of course reached out and congratulated, me and on both, sides anyone that knows me or or is close with me reached. Out but they also know me as well that it's not a done, deal so they'll probably want to save the congratulateary the congratulations to when it's a final set and. Done so they know me as well That i'm probably not missing a beat until it becomes.
Speaker 2: Final tell me how the coaching stuff is.
Speaker 1: Going last time we talked to, you, you you, know you kind of outlined the early returns of this new endeavor of. Yours AND i wonder if any of these young men who you are coaching have any idea what sort of killer you really were as a.
Speaker 7: PLAYER i think the younger, generation each year that goes, BY i could care less about who their head coaches and what he used to. Be and SOMETIMES i have to remind them in a positive way That i'm here to help them and guys them and take it for what it's worth some, pole some of them goes one year out the. Other but the few that actually take it and will be better from, it and those are the those are the ones that you're really gonna. Impact can't impact them, all you try, to but the few that want it on and off the, field and and try to build these young men into future fathers and husbands of the. Future that's really the ultimate. Goal and, uh you, know these these kids, nowadays they got so much going on that football and or the history of who their coach maybe is way down the list of prioritizing.
Speaker 1: Things your your boy Is, gauge, correct that's your, Son, yes, sir you still have him in the.
Speaker 2: Program and if, so how's that.
Speaker 7: Going, yeah he's, uh he's gonna be a sophomore coming.
Speaker 2: Up oh he's only a.
Speaker 7: Sofa, yeah, yeah he's, uh he is a, fun fun kid to be, around his, passion his work, ethic how he, leads he's, uh he's got a chance to be, special And i'm just along for the ride and trying to help guide him as BEST i, can and excited for this year to lead our. Team and he's put in the work on and off the field and really put his best foot foot forward to have a great.
Speaker 8: Year on offensive.
Speaker 7: Defense so, uh we got we got a good group coming back in the, uh connected. Unit gotta stay, healthy, obviously but we have a chance to be really good and we'll see where his, uh his journey takes him over the next few.
Speaker 2: Years you play like his dad at.
Speaker 7: All he's better than me WHEN i was at this point in high. School so, uh he's a, bigger probably more physical verse. Myself you, know he's he's six to, two he's one hundred and eighty five pounds now and getting big and. Strong so.
Speaker 11: He's.
Speaker 7: UH i can only hope and dream that he'll have a better high school college and if he could ever make it better career THAN i ever, did.
Speaker 1: What sort of, see it's such a delicate. BALANCE i, mean what sort of advice do you give? Him what sort OF i, mean Because i'm a parent, too and you really learn as they grow the best thing you can do is be. Guardrails and you, know it's like bumper lanes and bowling and they're the. Ball you're there to make sure they kind of stay in the, lane but you can't roll the ball down the middle for. Them so what's it been like to watch this young man grow and evolve as a, Player and how do you balance that as somebody that played and won at the highest of. Levels when it comes to the advice you dispensed to, him.
Speaker 7: WELL i just try to remind them that no matter, what if you don't have fun and you don't love the game and everything that, entails and what's the. Point the game is beautiful when it's purest. Form so trying to remind him, that AND i think he does a good job of, that but he just he wants to be so good AND i think he puts a lot of pressure on himself That reminding him that it's it's about managing the, misapps the negative plays and how you rebound from that and how you control your emotions from a play to play basis is something THAT i think he's going to grow to be able to handle and really make that. Strength but you, know he's it's just, that you, know last year was a delicate situation being a freshman and being the head. Coach But i'm not going to be apologetic for one of my best, players and it just so happens to be my. Son, Like i'm not gonna sit here and not give him positive feedback or be excited when he makes a great play on the, field or do this and that because of the. Optics i'm not doing that. Anymore So i'm gonna be. Proud AND i only get to coach him three more, years And i'm gonna enjoy every second of it Because i'm not doing this for anything other than trying to get back to the. Kids and he just happens to be one of our better players that does everything. RIGHT i shouldn't have to apologize for.
Speaker 2: That, no you.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't you should never have Put you should revel in, it you should be proud of. It you should enjoy the entire. Situation i've got his socials, up AND i see as a, freshman he was your starting quarterback and also starting, safety and he has schools calling. Already, right looks like he's got some offers in his back pocket, already even only as a.
Speaker 7: Freshman, YEAH i, mean it's it's it kind of came came at a. Whirlwind you. Know the recruiting starts way early. Nowadays especially if you know if you're a freshman playing on varsity and then you play, well schools are gonna find you and they're gonna they're gonna start getting their feelers out and let you know that that you're on their on their. Radar so he's got a long ways to, go and he understands that that this these offers are basically saying, like we're interested in, you and if you keep developing and keep getting better and improving over the next couple of, years then these this could be a. Reality but oftentimes the attention comes with these young, kids they go the other way and they they don't stay, humble and they don't stay, hungry and they become entitled and they feel like they've arrived when that's not. Reality you have a bullseeye in your. Back even more so for him for who his dad, is that he's got to outwork and outplay everyone every. Day you can't ever let up because that'll be the opportunity that that someone comes and takes your, job or takes your takes your playing, time and or takes that. Scholarship so, oh he has a good sense of, that and he appreciates the love per, se but he knows he has a long way to go.
Speaker 9: To make it a.
Speaker 1: REALITY i noticed, EARLIER, ewd you recently turned, forty so welcome to our. CLUB i, am, again a little more advanced than you, are But i'm still in the forties, Area so welcome to the. Forties and it's been a minute since you went through the recruiting. STUFF i wonder what the main differences are that you've, noticed because college football is much different now than it was in two thousand and, one two thousand and two when you were being. Recruited what are the main differences between what you See gauge and his teammates going through and what you went through.
Speaker 2: Back in the.
Speaker 7: Day, YEAH i, mean that's a great. QUESTION i crce s been quite an hour talking about the differences and trying to navigate the landscape of recruiting. NOW i, MEAN i took my official visit to The university Of utah and descend and ended up committing that week a month before signing, day where now a lot of times these these, players depending on, positions depending on, need et, cetera et, cetera can be committing sophomore junior. Season so it's it's definitely. Changed and with THE, nil you, know the programs that emphasize culture and loyalty and being a part of the community and the university is much more appealing to me Because i'm a little old. School but you, know some schools aren't that. Way so it's it's, hey we need, you we want, you how much CAN i pay?
Speaker 14: You?
Speaker 7: Where in the grand scheme of, things this is a huge decision on not only what happens on the, field but the relationships and connections you make off the field and how you represent. Yourself and it goes both, ways right like your year the school may tell you that you're never going to play, it so you want to hit the, portal and then other cases that you want more money and this and. That so it's just so many different. DYNAMICS i just try to remind all my kids engage when he gets to that. Point it's just the connection and where do you see yourself for four? Years, Right, like where do you want to build the relationships and build a legacy on this, endeavor, Right, like it's not about the, money it's not about WHERE i can get, this so that obviously it's it's it's about the you, know DEXes and o's and systems and offense and defense and the staff and who's going to be coaching me and the culture and this and that blah blah. Blah but outside, that it's what do you? Want what is your last impression on? You, like what do you want to be represented? By and what do you want to be remembered? By you want to be a remembered by chasing the next best thing or staying where your feet are and growing and dealing with adversity and dealing with competition and maybe falling, down are you going to get back? Up or are you going to run to the next best? Thing, Like so those are the things THAT i try to look at and try to educate our. Kids and it's not me, though It's gauge's decision and his. Journey i'm just trying to help. Him at the end of the, day it's going to be him and what he. Wants BUT i know deep down that whatever, decision when if it comes to that if he's fortunate enough to have a, decision then he'll do it for the right.
Speaker 2: Reasons i'm quite sure.
Speaker 1: That are you fans listening after they heard you Say gage is a, bigger stronger version of, me are waiting for me to ask you if that's the. Case is there any chance this young man plays his college ball In Salt Lake?
Speaker 2: City and if, so what would that mean to?
Speaker 10: You?
Speaker 7: YEAH i Mean gade is a gauge is he's a big thinker in the sense that he wants to be better THAN i, was and he he wants to make his own. Mark, now he obviously has a deep love For, Utah BUT i would be, HONESTLY i would be happy if he gets to play college. Football i'm not really pigeonholed on Where i'm more just would be so proud if he even gets a, chance because it's it's, tough. Man there's amazing players across the board that do things the right, way and sometimes it just is. Luck sometimes it's staying injury. Free sometimes it's just seeing a coach that believes in. You like there's so many different. Factors so, YES i would be honored and proud if he went to THE. U but he's gonna carve out his own, journey and obviously he will when he gets to that if he has. Choices but there's gonna be there's a lot of great schools out there that have showed that they like, him and if he continues on the trajectory, that, well he'll have his, choice which was just pretty insane to even think.
Speaker 2: ABOUT i think it's. AWESOME i think it's.
Speaker 1: Great as a father of his, SON i know what that must feel like for. You BEFORE i set, You Lucy, wed we all know that you're one of The Big. Twelve was not what we were hoping for any of us expected at.
Speaker 2: All some new, coaches some new.
Speaker 1: Transfers what's your confidence level The utah football year two in The big twelve will look better than it did year?
Speaker 7: One, well, YEAH i Mean i've Been i've been fortunate enough That Coach wit And scally and Even Coach lued before he, left allowed myself and some coaches to come out for two three days at a. Time being all the, meetings position, meetings coaches meetings obviously be at the, practices So i'm pretty intimate with what's going on and seeing the guys And I'm i'm, optimistic, ecstatic excited for the. TEAM i think it's a it's a more connected. UNIT i believe with the change, offensively change is good if you're. Willing and obviously we need to stay, healthy we know, that but the groundwork is, there AND i think the changes offensively are going to bring a fresh new, start a fresh new vibe and energy and. BELIEF i think with our offensive, line with those tackles and in the guards and just the whole unit is going to be the best in the country potentially two first round picks on the edges tackle. Wise SO i, mean we got a lot of great things that are that are coming out for this season that, yes our last year was not, us but, hey that that stuff, happens, Right and how are we going to? Rebound how are we going to come back from? That with Coach wit leading the leading the charge And scalley on, defense and you, know with the new, offense you, Know i'm drawing a blink of the offensive, coordinator Which I'm i'll have to apologize. For, Yes Coach beck who was obviously gracius enough to let me be in the meetings and whatnot learn from, them and you, KNOW i. AM i think we could be an outstanding team and as long as we. Can it just comes back to team, football, right protect the, football be explosive on. OFFENSE i think that's going to happen naturally with the quarterback with the element of running but also extending, plays but just making sure that we're no matter, what we protect the, football we score in the red. Zone and we played great, defense which we. Will we were going to be better than we were last year on defense With scalley and the system and the guys playing together and being. Healthy so, listen nobody on the on the on the on the schedule worries me and or tells and we can't beat if we go play great. Football is there great teams on our, Schedule, yes but we go play our style of, football we should be able to be anyone on.
Speaker 1: There all, right my, Guy, well thrilled for you and we are optimistic about your chances and when that goes, down we'd love to get you back on if not, Sooner so enjoy the rest of the.
Speaker 2: Week, Eric thanks for the, time, buddy be, well, okay you got it.
Speaker 7: Anytime thanks for having me, on.
Speaker 1: Brother all, Right Eric Weddle Future hall Of, famer not just in. COLLEGE i didn't offer the follow up when he Said i'm not sure that THE nfl thing is a. POSSIBILITY i felt like he was getting uncomfortable with my effusive. Praise but he's got a shot at some point to be In canton as, WELL i would.
Speaker 2: Imagine.
Speaker 5: YEAH i, Mean eric's a guy, that despite you, know how good he was here At, utah and despite having A Super bowl ring all of the, above you, know doesn't like to toot his horn too. MUCH a stat for, You. Spence five guys IN nfl storry nine hundred tackles in twenty nine career. Interceptions It's Eric, Weddle Brian, Dawkins Rodney, Harrison Ronde barbara And Ronde barber And Charles. Woodson that's the entire.
Speaker 1: List, jeez that's. Impressive, yeah at some point our guy is gonna get a. Look IF i was.
Speaker 2: A hall Of, Famer i'd never take the jacket. Off let's be. Clear i'm wearing the gold jacket all, day every.
Speaker 5: Day, oh IF i reached the pinnacle of any sport of any, kind the, ring the, jacket the you, know the green, jacket the gold. Jacket Super bowl, ring it's it's on me forever at that, point.
Speaker 1: Or being the best dish provider in the. Nation speaking To hall Of, Famers ryan from The dish pros EIGHT oho one four to two Four dish save money on a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Things what's going?
Speaker 7: On?
Speaker 10: Ryan, definitely you, know and we're we're right there at the top of not A hall Of, famer but we are retailer of The year multiple years in a.
Speaker 15: Row and, guys we've been just taking care of everybody and the deals are really actually. Amazing right, now You dish sent out about almost a fund thousand mailers in The Utah Northern utah area where.
Speaker 10: There's actually five hundred dollars gift card attached to. Them now that's a good chance you might have missed. It but if you're, thinking, gosh you, know IF i get five hundred bucks, OFF i get set up on this great two year, Deal i'm in call us. Up we can check and see if it got sent to, you and if it, did we can get attach the gift card. Offer if not worth case, scenario you get three months, free which you, know if you take the higher package is about four hundred. Bucks so call us up and take advantage of this and get set up with the BIGGEST dvr out. There auto, hops, commercials guys. Packages if you An american stop one twenty, package it's like under it's like ninety eighty bucks spread around. There we get you also dinner AT, jcws throwing the movie. Channels the price is guaranteed not to. Change, plus ask about our internet offers right now half a dozen literally you name, IT i got. IT i can get you and get your internet SO i can tell you what should be paying and what you can be. Paying and we're talking thirty five to fifty to fifty five bucks a month if you're spending a grundle more than. That even if you have, fiber there's a good possibility because fibers deregulated in a lot of, areas you can just pay your bill to another, company use the same fiber and just spend you, know thirty forty bucks less per. Month that easy call us four two four dish Call now take advantage of just get the best price guarantee and uh ask what the internet? Too four two four dish eight to one four two four three four seven Four.
Speaker 1: All, right wrapping it, up final segment of the program for This wednesday. AFTERNOON i am just seeing. THIS i guess it was announced a little bit.
Speaker 2: Earlier.
Speaker 1: Uh The Salt Lake City Police department has charged A university Of utah tennis player with. Rape according to a probable cause statement filed, today twenty one year Old Burke ugaric no. Clue i've never heard of this. Person that is a unique spell of a last. Name he's facing three counts of, rape two counts of forcible, sodomy and one count of object. Rape the alleged assault took Place november sixteenth of last. Year the victim in the case told police that she And bugaric that's How i'm gonna roll. With we're at a bar with a group of. Friends they went to his. House she did not want to do the things that he. Initiated he has been. Suspended was. Suspended so here's a statement from the athletic department at THE u, quote we are aware of the criminal charges filed against a men's tennis student. Athlete upon initially learning In november of twenty twenty four of an accusation against the student, athlete the athletics department immediately suspended the student. Athlete In january of twenty twenty. Five when no charges have been filed against the student, athlete the suspension was, lifted with the condition that it would be reapplied should the charges be. Filed in the, case we treat allegations of significant misconduct very, seriously and the student athlete has been.
Speaker 2: Suspended there you.
Speaker 1: GO i guess was something that was public knowledge, earlier But i'm just seeing it as we're wrapping up the. Program All, right we got a Little Stanley cup playoffs coming your way With edmonton And, florida a rematch of last year's. Series if you are new to sport of, hockey let me encourage you to, watch, listen. CONSUME i think it's the best playoffs format that we. Have the intensity is something that simply just is. Unmatched And i'm hoping for a long, series And i'm hoping for some game sevens because we didn't get many at, all in fact zero in the conference finals Of pro basketball And pro. Hockey would you Trade Karl Anthony towns For Kevin durant.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty, five twenty, Six, no almost any other situation if you would have asked, me like last year.
Speaker 4: Year or the year, before or the year before or the year, before the year before the year.
Speaker 5: Before, yes BUT i JUST i love me SOME. KD i think he may have some good basketball. Left but As Karl Anthony town, showed he's still a really good piece on a really good. Team there are things about his game that make him prone to match up issue sometimes mainly on the defensive side of the.
Speaker 2: Ball he doesn't guard at.
Speaker 5: All, yeah it's, bad But Kevin durant's also not the let's be, clear the kind of Defensive player of The year candidate he was back In Golden.
Speaker 2: State you know, what MAN i might do, THAT i might Trade Ken cat For.
Speaker 5: Durant, listen if you think you have one year to go for, it like go for a, title go for. IT i don't know that the roster The knicks have right, now ADDING kd to, it you, know you probably make a run next, year but that's. It it's over after, that at least is that core is is, constructed and then you're probably dealing with A kdi that maybe wants another year or two on that, deal wants to drag it. Out it seems and feels like to, me If Kevin durant was with The, knicks he'd want an, extension and then you're in a situation that's not just a you, know one year rental to try to make a.
Speaker 2: Run this is shaping up to be a wild off season in THE. Nba, Dude, yes wild off. Season, yes it is all. Right let's get out of.
Speaker 1: Here hockey coming, Up Stanley cup finals coming, up don't FORGET Nba finals, Tomorrow, porter what comes our way on A thursday edition of the.
Speaker 5: Show as you, mentioned we got some hockey coming up on the show. Next we'll recap that tomorrow with our Friend Belle, frasier talk a Little Utah mammoth offseason as, well of, course the the top five pick in THE Nhl draft.
Speaker 2: And, more.
Speaker 5: AND Nba Daily assist With dave. Mcminnimon we may double up on OUR Nba Daily assist, tomorrow STILL tbd on One Tim Bond. Temps hoping to chat with your guy Mad Dog russo as. Well that may happen, Tomorrow that may Happen. Friday some still some things in the works. There we'll Have Sports court. Tomorrow Busy, thursday.
Speaker 1: So join us for. That we'll say good night for A wednesday. Show get out of the way for Some Stanley Cup finals hockey. Special thank you today To Josh, Furlong Andy, Larson Eric. Weddle you'd fans if you missed THE ewb, interview it was really. Fun definitely check that out and of course the Great Neil smith if you missed any of the sound from the. SHOW espn seven Hundred sports Dot com is where you. Go you can also download our mobile app and take us on the. GO espn seven hundred app as if it available for free in The App store and The Google Play. Store, finally for what we do in our space every afternoon four, hours we have a podcast. Page if you would support, it it would really really help us.
Speaker 2: Out it's Called The drive With.
Speaker 1: Spence check Its it's available wherever you get your, show so search for. It that subscribe, button follow, button whatever they ask you to, do follow, along say nice things in the, comments give us all the.
Speaker 2: Stars it actually. Helps.
Speaker 1: Reporter I'm spencing AND i enjoy Your wednesday, Evening enjoy a Little Stanley Cup finals coming up on the other. Side right here ON espn seven hundred and ninety TO, onefm we are proud to be part of Utah Z Espn Radio network