Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And what you've just been listening to is the ultimate in recorded sound. It will make all conventional disc and cassette systems obsolete. It's dustproof, scratch proof, digitally recorded read by a laser and it's called the compact disc. And that's it. The biggest revolution in the recording industry since the invention of the long playing gramophone record. But this is no ordinary disc, just twelve centimeters in diameter. The music is recorded onto it digitally and there's no needle being dragged through a groove. That information is being read by a laser light.
Speaker 3: KFIM six forty is Later with mo Kelly Tech Thursday. As a matter of fact, we're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Marsha Collier joins me in studio. Marsha, have we been prone to hyperbole with these two technological conventions.
Speaker 4: Over the years.
Speaker 5: I think, I think some of them I mentioned this last week, some of them were just on the edge of ridiculous. And I forget what major remember that pin that came out It was an AI pin that you were supposed to talk to and it was supposed to. It was a pin that you wore and nobody wanted it. No, some major company just bought it for a quack a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: I mean it's I guess maybe you want the technology and it was some other application.
Speaker 5: That's it. And all this ridiculous tech that we see, that's where it is. By the way, you were talking about Gene Hackman. Yes, Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor. Oh my goodness, thank you. I never expected that performance out of him. It was so the opposite of everything that Gene Hackman ever ever did. And with you, miss Tesma, Miss Tesma, Yeah, I mean it was perfect. He was amazing.
Speaker 3: You think about that cast, even ned Baty. That cast was so underappreciated, I think for its time because the movie came out at a time where superheroes, Superman. I don't think the movie was taking us seriously back then as we would have now.
Speaker 5: And I remember sitting and watching that because I was a DC crazy as I was growing up and had I still have the early Lowis Lanes and stuff like that, and I loved it so much. I wanted to grow up and be Lois Lane. And when I saw Christopher Reeves flying with Lois Lane. Oh my goodness, it was magical.
Speaker 3: That first Superman movie with the John Williams score. Yes, I don't think we have the super hero industry today with that movie. Yes, you could say Batman nineteen eighty nine, Yeah, was big, But I think it goes back to Superman.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. You know who it goes back to, also, Alexa. Go ahead, well, this is the tech segment, right, So we're talking about technology now, and a star of many lives is Alexa. And I hope your Alexa didn't do anything when I said that, I have personally unplugged my Alexa. I did not want it listening all the time. And it is listening all the time, all the time. And it seems that you know, it's getting better the Seattle Company. Obviously, Amazon is going to install even better AI products and services that it will sell to businesses and other organizations.
Speaker 4: I mean our data along with it.
Speaker 5: I have a feeling, I have a feeling that that that might roll along with it. Amazon executives say Alexa will now identify who is speaking and know the person's preferences such as favorite sports teams, musicians, and foods. They demonstrated how a device powered Alexa plus could raise suggest a restaurant, book a reservation on open table, and an order an uber insteat, a calendar and invitation. But we know that Google can already do that.
Speaker 3: That's right, But yeah, your asket it's polite in that way. It doesn't just do it without you know, any pushy theresa.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: No, no, you spend forty dollars ahead for six people, you know. But so it's coming into your house if you continue, and I assume it's going to be free to prime users and it will be nineteen ninety nine month for those who what yes.
Speaker 4: What it's one hundred dollars a year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know. I read an article today though, and people don't want to use AI. I mean, you can take all this noise and every story I pick up. And that's why I picked the stories I had today, because it's not AI centric. It's because people don't want to spread their private details. We have too many security cameras at my house. I want them out.
Speaker 4: But there's something for me.
Speaker 3: It's there's a difference between help and assuming control. And there's certain things that I don't want to relinquish to a computer entity.
Speaker 5: Well, how about that little Amazon drone that's supposed to be in your house that when you leave get gets up. It's the little drones about four inches. It pulls out of its little station and it has already mapped out your house and it patrols your house while you're going on.
Speaker 4: It's a ring device. My house is not that big, thank goodness.
Speaker 5: But think about it. You've got open mail, Well, you go through your library. What books does this man read? Let's catalog that for Amazon?
Speaker 3: Well, it catalogs where the windows and doors are and the soft points in your security system.
Speaker 5: So we can't even go there. Let's I wouldn't buy it a real quick thing. I mean, yeah, I could tell you more, but make your own decision on that. If you really want Alexa to have in depth conversations with you, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know see that. I don't want that. I want there to be a clear delineation. I don't want it in the context of an actual person. I wanted to help me with my life. I don't want it.
Speaker 4: To assume the role of a person. It's a difference.
Speaker 5: And they're including also AI systems built by the startup an morphic morepic.
Speaker 4: And for those who don't know, the word anthropomorphic is to be human.
Speaker 5: Like, right, yeah, i'd like Rosie. Remember from the Jets.
Speaker 4: We're basically there with the exception of the physical.
Speaker 5: But why are the ones we have now so scary looking? Every robot they build is scary looking. The ones in the cartoons are.
Speaker 4: Better because they're trying to get the there's an actual answer to that, because they're trying to get the facial expressions right, and they cannot make the face look human.
Speaker 5: And that's what I'm saying, make it a cartoon.
Speaker 4: Just make it just a box.
Speaker 3: I don't need to have a face with two eyes and and can pull it cheeks into a smile.
Speaker 4: I don't need any of that.
Speaker 5: That's that's weird, If this is all weird, beyond beyond everything. One last thing before before we go, do you ever worry that you'd like drop dead alone in the house or somewhere and nobody would know that you did, just in case they could resuss a you or your heart stopped beating and you fell down. And only since I turned fifty, right serious, for those of us over forty five, I have to include myself when you have that kind of fear. It's a real fear, like we don't even know what happened to Geane. I mean, who knows. Google today received clearance from the USD of the FDA for a loss of pulse detection feature that will be in the pixel Watch three.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll probably buy that for having nothing to do with this. But is that loss of pulse detection for the benefit of the wearer or the benefit of the person who finds you? Because the moment that there's no pulse, I'm quite sure there's a fading consciousness at that point as well.
Speaker 5: Well. Okay, if your heart stops beating from an event like a primary cardiac arrest, respiratory or circular tour failure, overdose, or poisoning, and it will automatically prompt a call to emergency services.
Speaker 4: Woh, okay, to like crash detection.
Speaker 5: Exactly, Well, they've done a great job with crash detection, fall detection, irregular heart rhythm notifications, and the ECG APP and safety check. I mean, lost pulse detection is another step, and the fact that it has been cleared by the FDA I think is important.
Speaker 3: I think that's something I would look into. Mis KF I AM six forty. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Yes, we'll miss you, but we still love you. Gene Hackman.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Why by does the.
Speaker 6: Video game from atalrator intelegrasion invest in the Wonder computers in nineteen eighties for under three hundred dollars, the Comodol twenty unlike games that has a real computer keyboard for a Comodore Pick twenty, the whole family can and computing at home plays great games too under three hundred dollars. The under computer of the nineteen eighties, the Commodore VIC twenty coming soon. Commodore brings you Gor the Wonder Arcade game and don't make a racing home versions Commodore.
Speaker 3: I had an in television to tell you the truth. K IF I am six forty. It's Tick Thursday with Marshall Coltleyer. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Or were you going to say, Marcia?
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I was the throwing in my court quarters at the arcade. I was just like I packed me.
Speaker 3: It was a big deal to be able to have video games at home. And that was right at the beginning with the Atari, the in television. You know, that was the closest thing we had to home.
Speaker 5: Mary Wolfenstein, of course I do leasure Larry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look that's my that's my era era. Yes, those were early.
Speaker 3: I actually worked in an arcade when I was seventeen, eighteen years old. It was Aladdin's Castle in Dilameo Mall. I thought I was in heaven working in it arcade. I could play when I wasn't working, play all the arcade arcade games as much as.
Speaker 4: I wanted, all day long.
Speaker 3: I had a literal key to open up the games and play as much as I wanted. There was no better job in the world.
Speaker 5: That's great. As a matter of fact, I had a business back in the olden days, and I did marketing for different shopping centers, and one of those shopping centers had an arcade in it. So when I came in to meet with management, the nice guy who owned the arcade would give my daughter a silo of quarters and let her loose, and she I knew she was taken care of. I have a pinball machine at home.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 5: I'm old Chicago. It's an old, old machine.
Speaker 3: No, I love playing pinball. I'm old enough to say. I remember arcade games when they were only one quarter, just one quarter, right, not the fifty cents, not the dollar, but one quarter.
Speaker 5: And when that shiny ball came down, came down the shoe, and then you'd take pulled back ever since, and you thought you was really going to control things by the way you pulled it back.
Speaker 3: I was never very good at pinball. To tilt the machine was a moment of shame. Well, yeah, yeah, I was just never very good at it.
Speaker 5: I was never strong enough.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh no, I got very angry and you know, bumped around. But that's not why we're here. Why we are here is for you, Marshall Colliers.
Speaker 5: Okay, so so so back to technology because I know that's why you all are here. I know they'll get back to the good stuff later. You've used anti virus software.
Speaker 4: Absolutely over the years, the Kaffe Malaware, malabites, you know that kind of thing, A vassed a vass, Yes, did you know? Did I know?
Speaker 5: What? Did you know?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 5: The FTC found the company collected information on religious beliefs, health concerns, political leanings, financial status and location, and without user consent and sold it through a subsidiary.
Speaker 3: I did not know, but that's my assumption with any company, because data is currency.
Speaker 5: Well that's now, But this was then, this was, you know, twenty fourteen, So it seems.
Speaker 4: That they got a lot of people's data.
Speaker 5: The FTC didn't like the idea at all, and they reached a sixteen point five million dollar settlement with the Federal Trade Commission, which I don't think is enough.
Speaker 3: Oh no, not for what they for the privacy violations and the money that they've made subsequent to that.
Speaker 4: Of course not.
Speaker 5: And that that number includes compensation for users who bought a VASS software between twenty fourteen and January twenty twenty. Now I'm one of those people. I always got a weird feeling about a VASS. It always wanted more, It wanted more installations, it wanted more permissions.
Speaker 4: Yeah we got this, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Got that, And I said, no, No, all I want is this, So I dropped them. But customers can start to claim refunds from the settlement now. According to the FTC, if you're eligible for a refund from a VAST, you will be notified via email between February twenty fourth and March seventh, and the notice will include really important acclaim ID, so print it out even if you're not deleting it. Print it out. You'll need this to complete the a vast settlement claim form online and they'll have phone numbers if you need extra help, you can do it. You have to file your claim by June fifth, twenty twenty five. And it just really pisses me off. And I wish we'd get more money out of some of these big company pockets.
Speaker 4: It's not going to happen, but it's nice to have dreams.
Speaker 5: But in other notes, I'm a two factor authentication, yes, do you apply that everywhere you go.
Speaker 3: As many places as possible? A lot of things now, like even with Instagram you don't even have the option. You have to have some sort of two factor authentic exactly.
Speaker 5: And Google blows me away is going away from two factor authentication with SMS codes and SMS codes for those who don't know it, that's texting and Google or somebody else will text you a six digit number or something and you have to go back to the screen and type it in or tap and it copies over right, especially if it's on your phone and you don't want It's like, huh, yeah.
Speaker 3: My phone is in the other room. You say, I got to go get the phone just to log into my email.
Speaker 5: Right, But yeah, they have to do it. But that's the source of phishing. People who have been phished a lot of times. The number fished means they've been defrauded via email or data has been stolen from a marketplace or something, and it's on the black market. People will buy these numbers and they will try to log into different services and you'll all of a sudden get an SMS saying to log in, just use these numbers. They're trying to find out which numbers are active. So it's been bad. So what Google is going to do now They've been starting to prompt with passkeys. And I was going to do a whole thing on passkeys, because frankly, what's a pass key? There are a billion ways to do a pass key, but I don't have all time for it. Let's just say there's a thing you can plug into your phone. There's numbers. The past key I use on some apps is my fingerprint finger print online because that goes to Google. Yeah, but they're replacing this with QR codes and yeah, they say, you take a picture, you scan the Let me just tell you it's a lot easier for Android users. Just go to the play Store download Google Authenticator. There are billion authentication apps, so do not be fooled, except only the original Google Authenticator. And when you open that, it gives you incredible options. I have.
Speaker 3: Let me jump in there. I have Google Authenticator. My only problem with it it's not easy to figure out how.
Speaker 5: To use it exactly because there's a blank page. When you press the cross in the lower right hand corner, it says scan a QR code or enter a setup key. You will start seeing QR codes and setup keys more and more. They're just going to start doing this, and I highly recommend that you use this free app and be sure to download just Google Authenticator.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things.
Speaker 3: It'll take you a while to get used to it, but is it actually quicker once you master it.
Speaker 5: It is quicker. And QR codes. I'd been using them forever because I thought they were cool, and then I stopped using them when I realized they could be fishing. And that's the thing. You have to be careful.
Speaker 3: You always have to stay one step ahead of the would be thieves because they're always looking for a way to intercept your information.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you're looking at a sign and it has a QR code on it, double check to be sure it's not another sticker stuck over the real QR code, because that's another way for them to pull data from your phone. And that's kind of why I'm here. I want to give you information to protect you and make you happy to enjoy the tech we have.
Speaker 3: You gave a lot of information, but also I'm quite sure you inspired some questions about that information.
Speaker 4: How can they further follow up up with you?
Speaker 5: If you go to my website Marsha Collier dot com m A R S H A C O L L I E R dot com and go to the contact page, there's a contact form. I don't save anything. Why why do I not save anything? Because I don't want a list, I do not want your information. I do not want the responsibility of any of that nonsense, so I don't save it. Contact me there and I will answer your questions. And by the way, thank you to the people who have sent me compliments. It really made me made me feel good. You guys are great.
Speaker 4: Stefan Wolfenstein, Oh, that's.
Speaker 5: Right, he's got the guys so.
Speaker 4: Long as I've heard that.
Speaker 5: You're walking through the halls. Now we're going to turn a corner soon? Or are we not going to see any Nazis?
Speaker 3: How do you know about Wolfensteining? And you're not even forty yet? You have to This is my early eighties. When you said Aladdin's Castle, I almost lost. I just lost my ads. I was like, that was my play. We were from the same area.
Speaker 5: Las Castle was find an arcade and all of us go out and play oh live remote.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm trying to think now.
Speaker 3: Tony Sorrentino has his own personal arcade in his house. It has like twelve stand up arcade games. One of the engineers here like a he's got like a fighter Jet one even yes, he does you sit down in it?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I also have a nineteen thirties Mills slot machine. It's a Nickel slot machine. And if you want to play the slot machine, if you want to keep the winnings, you use your own money. If you just want to play it and have fun, I'll give you roles nickels.
Speaker 4: I learned something new about Marshall Calliere every single week. I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Oh, I have a jukebox too.
Speaker 3: I think I knew about the jukebox. I didn't know about the pitball machine. I didn't know about the Nickel slot machine. Yeah, gott roulette table two.
Speaker 5: No, but I do used to have craps. Craps, Okay, I did have craps parties.
Speaker 4: Martian Callier, I'll see you soon.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll see you soon. Just don't play late double six?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, or is that double eight whatever that is in the corner.
Speaker 4: I don't play craps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well you get six to five if you do it on the.
Speaker 4: Is that a hint? Is that like look at the clock? Bye Stefan, Bye bye.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from kf I a M six forty