Speaker 1: The late nineteen eighties and the early nineteen nineties in Melbourne, Australia were marked by a series of heinous crimes, ones that sent shockwaves through the community and left a horrible mark on the nation psyche. These crimes were perpetrated by an individual known only as mister Kruel, a meticulous and calculating predator whose primary target was young girls he watched, bited his time, and abducted these girls from the homes they lived in. This is the case of mister Kruel.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingram, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material intended for a mature audience. Massive news in the true crime world. Earlier this week, Robert picked In passed away. He was assaulted while in jail, and he died of those injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The world, in my opinion, is way better off right now without that man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I'm honestly a bit surprised that it didn't happen much sooner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a very evil man.
Speaker 2: Spoke a lot of lives, that man some evil things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, I'm surprised no one else went at him while behind bars. Yeah, but as one of our patrons actually mentioned that. Now with his death solidifies the fact that we may never know the names behind all of his victims.
Speaker 2: Which is too bad.
Speaker 1: But then, I mean, he wasn't going to give it up.
Speaker 2: Who knows for sure if he would have even given.
Speaker 1: That up, So he wouldn't have he reveled in that. There's no way he was giving up those names. Never es we covered that case. Actually believe you did that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I had a two parter with that one. Well you kind of need it, yeah, for Foozy for.
Speaker 1: Picked In, no kidding, So if you want to check that out, that's in our library, go and scroll back, find it, give it a listen. But yeah, he's no longer here, so good riddance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no shit.
Speaker 1: On a nicer note, we did a true crime thing at home, a little date night. We had a free date night. That was fun, fun, and we solved it. Took us about four hours together.
Speaker 2: I know. Is that good or bad?
Speaker 1: I don't know. He went through a bottle of wine, solved it in four hours. It was our first ever one, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was quite a depth. I didn't quite realize how much there was going to be to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a fair amount.
Speaker 2: Like there was just so many articles, so much little readings to do. We even had to log into like a fake email on email email online and read some emails.
Speaker 1: And to be honest, I think our first hour was just like understanding what we got ourselves into, you know, like, holy shit, Yeah, there's there's this fake email we have to log into online and all this paperwork and these photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Once we finally started like making a list of who the suspects were and stuff and really getting into it, I think we did a lot better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we'll we'll do it again.
Speaker 1: We definitely will.
Speaker 2: Good date Night, I like.
Speaker 1: It definitely will. No no sponsorship or affiliation, But if you guys just go on Amazon sear it's like a little like murder Mystery thing. You can find these like packages just for like doing solo or as couples or parties whatever. And yeah, yeah it.
Speaker 2: Was a thirty five bucks or something. Yeah, like Canadian not too bad for.
Speaker 1: An evening of entertainment. It was off. Yeah, wonder to know what else is not too bad for a good price. Our Patreon and so many people have been signing up.
Speaker 2: Yes, awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much to these individuals who are signing up, getting an exclusive behind the scenes and supporting the show at the same time. So special thanks to Terry Meyer, Alyssa and fur Babies. Love that. Oh okay, Alena Hyatt and Alec van Driel, thank you so much for signing up and supporting a show. You go ahead and check out all that exclusive stuff they signed up this week. So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's really awesome. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that Alyssa put in fur babies.
Speaker 2: I know I kind of love that too. I'm surprised no one has done that yet. Yeah, no kidding, we would show it out with the fur babies, Come on.
Speaker 1: No kidding. Anyways, this is a doozy of a case. This is mister cruel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from the intro, I'm not sure I'm looking forward to this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not not too great. But we are headed back to Australia for this. We've we've been spending some I'm in Australia proverbially in these cases recently, so I think after this one I'm going to try and spread my wings to some other places around the world for a little bit but when I discovered this case, I was like, we got to cover it.
Speaker 2: So was the very last one Australia as well?
Speaker 1: I can't remember what her last episode was. Thanks for putting me on the spot. What was our last episode? Do you remember? No? I do you spend days researching this and I'm like reading another book on another case?
Speaker 2: Shit?
Speaker 1: Oh Lindsay n Hawker? I don't think that was Australia, was it? I know the poor Arthur massacre was?
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's just it's just we've done a few in the last like couple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, I don't was Lindsay and Hawker Australian? I can't remember whatever this case okay?
Speaker 2: Just really quickly, A lot of people ask like how we cope, and I think it's just that we do an episode in and it just leaves our brains pretty much.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, Lindsay was in Japan, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, right, yes, yes, yes, okay, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moving on to the next case is generally how we cope. It's kind of like, yeah, onto the next horrible fucking thing that happened like this one.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you ready, I am. I'm just going to say someone actually asked me the other day if like, we'll ever run out of things. It's like, nope, you know what, I don't think we will, which is actually terrible.
Speaker 1: There. Yeah, there's no way we're ever going to run out of true crime. I bet you we could do a life's worth of true crime episodes on a year of occurrences of crime in the British Columbia Province alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet you. That's terrible.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, Okay, that's where we live BC. Just throwing that over.
Speaker 2: Enough of this, sorry, let's we'll move on.
Speaker 1: Here, we digress onto the case. So, as I said, we're going over to Australia, and we're particularly going to Melbourne, which is the capital of the Australian state of Victoria. Now it is known for its vibrant culture, diverse population, and historical landmarks. By the nineteen eighties, it was a bustling metropolis, home to millions of residents and known for its high quality of life. However, the city's piece would soon be shattered by the emergence of a predator who preyed on the most vulnerable members of society children. On July seventh, nineteen eighty eight, an article titled Mother Battles Blanket Blaze appeared in the Sun newspaper featuring Julie Wills and her daughters in their bedroom after a fire caused by the faulty electrical blanket. So they're they're pictured, you know, in the bedroom and they're pos kind of like sitting on the bunk bed and they're you know, like, hey, you know what, we almost burnt our house down. Thankfully we didn't post it in the newspaper, right So six months later, after that article was posted, on Boxing Day, December twenty sixth, nineteen eighty eight, the Wills family returned to their home at eleven Hillcrest Avenue, Ringwood. At around ten pm. John and Julie Wills put their four daughters to bed, with their ten year old Sharon on the top bunk, that same bunk that was featured in the newspaper photo months earlier. John finally turned off the lights in the home at quite late or early, at four fifty am in the morning, which was only about an hour before sunrise at the time. What he or the family were unaware of was what was outside in the dark. Someone was watching and if they had been observing the house since the family returned, and they had been waiting for the moment to strike for the lights to go out. They would have been waiting and watching for a total of seven hours. The man waited an extra thirty minutes afterwards, just after those lights were turned out, just to make sure before he finally made his move. Now, the house key was left in the back door lock, but on the inside of the door, so when he approached the back door, it is locked. There's no key available, okay, but he did know what the key was left on the inside, so he used a tool to push through the lock and pop the key out. It fell to the floor inside the home. However, he knew this was going to happen too, and he had slid a newspaper underneath the crack of the door, and the key fell on top of the newspaper, and from then he pulled the newspaper, giving him access to the key. He put the key in the lock, turned it and unlocked the back door, giving him access to the home. And immediately upon entering the home, the man burst into John and Julie Wills's bedroom, turning the light on. He was dressed in dark blue overalls, gloves, and a black bellick clava with white and possibly red stitching around the eyes and mouth holes. He was armed with a knife and a dark colored handgun. He was also carrying a bag flashlight. Julie Wills's reflex is instantly kicked in and she screamed for her children to get out of the house, but the man quickly silenced her by holding a gun to her husband's head and said, you're not going to be a hero, are you?
Speaker 2: Holy shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of lot to unpack you already, hey.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah, And like so he got this came in contact with this family because of the newspaper thing. Basically, is that what you're.
Speaker 1: Saying, that's speculation?
Speaker 2: Oh I hate that.
Speaker 1: That's so what I do touch on that here in a little bit, so I'll cover it then. But yes, that is the speculation.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's just something that you wouldn't really think of. You know, you're warning people both these electric blankets, which I do use. So that's a little alarming.
Speaker 1: Well this was the eighties too, right, eight I believe so.
Speaker 2: But then that's like putting your family in more danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, Okay, Well, the man who's now holding them hostage, forced both the two of them onto their stomachs and bound their hands and feet with copper electrical wire, and began demanding money. He took thirty five dollars from John's wallet and then cut the phone cord with pliers that he had found in the house. One of their daughters, Sharon, woke up to the mother's screaming and heard the man's voice. She lay frozen as the intruder entered her room. The intruder then called her by name and shown a torch right in her face. Initially, she pretended to sleep, hoping that he would leave, but of course, you know, he didn't, and he commanded her to get up and out of bed. He selected several items of her clothing for her to take with her from her wardrobe, and then led her out of the house in the hallway. Though he took John's checkered lumberjacket from the hatstand, and he also gave Sharon to work are sorry, and he gave that jacket for her to wear over her nightgown. After about eight minutes in the house, he carried Sharon outside and to muffle her screams, he shoved a red ball into her mouth. The man began assuring her that he wouldn't hurt her and would return her by morning. He then blindfolded her and placed her in the passenger seat floor of the car and drove off. After driving for some time, the car came to a stop and the man carried Sharon into the house. He made Sharon brush her teeth and bath, after which he sexually assaulted and raped and abused the ten year old Sharon.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just fucking devastating.
Speaker 1: There's a reason that call this man mister Krule.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's that's putting it nicely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, despite being blindfolded, Sharon sends that the man had a hairy chest and possibly even facial hair, maybe the beginning of a beer sort of thing. After the assault, he gave her milk and a stale veggimite sandwich, which, for the record, I have yet to ever try vegemite.
Speaker 2: Maybe one day, but I don't even know what the hell that is.
Speaker 1: It's an Australian thing. Oh, it's kind of like, I don't know. It seems like a like a jam of some sort, like a jelly maybe, I don't know. It's like a spread for bread and stuff.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard of that.
Speaker 1: It's really dark and I have no idea what it's made of. But vegemite. Yeah, okay. Anyways, he gave her a stale vegemite sandwich and he leashed her to the bed by her neck, and then he left. Sharon managed to lift her blindfold and observe the room that she was now being held in. She noticed a wooden tripod and a camera set up for filming.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're fucking me.
Speaker 1: Everything she just endured was most likely being captured on camera.
Speaker 2: Hmm, gosh, you don't even know what to say to shit like that.
Speaker 1: No, that's low, That is fucked up. That is so disgusting. Yeah. Now. The man would return late, and he forced Sharon to bathe once again and then assaulted her in another room. Afterwards, he dressed her in a shirt and he had taken her from the home, wrapped her in garbage bags, and carried her to the car. At around eleven fifteen pm, the man stopped the car and began carrying Sharon for some distance before he put her down at Baywaters High School. He removed her blindfold and garbage bags and instructed her on how to reach a nearby food plus store. He warned her not to look at him as he left. Just after midnight, a woman found Sharon at the corner of Orchard and Armstrong Roads. Sharon calmly told her, quote, my name's Sharon Wills, and I was taken from home early this morning. A man left me here and told me to go ring home. The woman took Sharon to her home and called the police. So, yeah, we of course happy to have Sharon back at home. But the question, of course everyone's wondering, you know, who is this dude, right, who's this man and his thought? Whoever had done this potentially seen that newspaper article six months prior and had decided to target Sharon in that moment, which meant he had been stalking and watching the family for six months. Right, Yeah, now you do recall when he entered her room he called her by name, Yes he did. He knew exactly who she was, he knew what she looked like, he knew her name. Shone the light at her and said, Sharon, good.
Speaker 2: God, just having just the thought of someone like knowing or thinking that they had been watching you for that long.
Speaker 1: Hey, my our dogs stared us for too long, and I get uncomfortable. I'm like, what do you want?
Speaker 2: What do you need? Stop man? I mean because and you think, oh, you think you'd notice or something, right, potentially, No, like there, because you wouldn't be looking for that expecting that.
Speaker 1: So well, there was some alleged reports of a prowler in the area before the abduction.
Speaker 2: Actually, oh so some people maybe did notice him.
Speaker 1: Yes, some did. And there was actually a witness who claimed that a man that someone saw a man filming the Willis's house with a JBC video camera six weeks before the abduction.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, so.
Speaker 1: There is claims of this alleged person. Now. The man was described as thirty to thirty five years old, balding, with brown hair and a pot belly.
Speaker 2: Younger than I thought, or yeah, younger than I thought he'd be.
Speaker 1: He apparently would like when he was caught filming whatever. He quickly left when he was disturbed, packing his camera into a gold Ford trunk before driving away. The Willis family estimated his height to be between one hundred and seventy three and one hundred and eighty centimeters, which is like five ft nine or something like that. I think somewhere around there are just under six feet. I'm not exactly sure we're sentiment's converting the feet, but yeah, he had a thin to medium build and his age was, as I already mentioned, described as thirty to thirty five from the witnesses. However, the willis but believed him to be mid twenties to thirties. Okay, some reports suggest that he might be even younger based on his voice. So we are looking at someone quite young, up to thirty, and even younger than twenty potentially.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Now, to the Wills, his voice sounded well spoken, with no discernible accent. Now, to authorities, this could be the work of only one man, someone they were actually already familiar with, someone by the moniker mister Kruel. Now. The Sun newspaper gave him this moniker mister krule after police described a serial home invasion rapist in November of nineteen eighty seven as quote super cool and super cruel and by cool like calm, cool and collective. Oh okay, yeah, not like, hey, that's a radical awesome dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a freaking opposite of cool.
Speaker 1: No, like he's he keeps as cool. Sort of thing that makes sense now at the time, police believed that the same perpetrator was responsible for three rapes, and the first is in nineteen eighty five of a woman and again in nineteen eighty seven. So we do have as I mentioned that the Sun had described him as a serial invasion rapist. So yeah, serial home invasion rapist.
Speaker 2: Was it children?
Speaker 1: Not all of them? No? No, it was nineteen eighty five and nineteen eighty seven they were both women. Oh okay, but there was another in nineteen eighty seven that just might be mister Corule's first instance of targeting a younger girl. Oh gosh, this guy, which brings us to our next incident here, of course it does. Yeah, so now this one actually predates because this is the first incident of a younger girl. So this is in the early hours of Saturday, August twenty second, nineteen eighty seven, a family of four in Lower Plenty, Melbourne were targeted at around four a m. Mister Krule broke into their home by quietly shattering a room window of the home the front of the house. The intruder was dressed in an open faced, navy blue belliclava, yellow surgical gloves and a blue waterproof zip up jacket beneath a brown tweed jacket. Armed and well prepared, the assailant carried a small black handgun, a kitchen knife, several sets of handcuffs, red and white nylon cord, a small gray bag resembling a child's library bag, and three rolls of colored electrical tape, along with alestoplasty surgical tape. Elastoplasty surgical tape. There we go. He headed immediately straight to the parents bedroom, upon breaking in, forcing them into their stomach and restraining them with their hands and ankles behind their back with handcuffs. Sounding familiar, hey, very The parents were of course terrified, but remember the man saying this to them, be quiet and don't move or I'll hurt someone.
Speaker 2: Man. I just like that, just the feeling of that, hey, like you're in your children or in the other room. My god.
Speaker 1: Well, and through all this, as I mentioned, he keeps as cool. He is very calm collected throughout all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I sort of feel like that is expect Like I would expect that.
Speaker 1: I mean think about this way, like like someone's like doing something like this. You would think adrenaline might be pumping, maybe breathing heavy or something like that. No, he's stone fucking cold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like this is just a normal day, like an average day for him.
Speaker 1: So the intruder then woke up the seven year old son and eleven year old daughter, hurting them into their parents' bedroom. He tied the son to the bed and bound the daughter's hands. All the victims were gagged with electrical tape, and the children were blindfolded with surgical tape. With everyone in the family now immobilized, the intruder demanded cash, a first aid kit, clothes, a shower, food, and a shave. Quote. All I want is money, food and clothes. How much money is in the house. He forced the parents into a wardrobe, covering them with a blanket, and appeared to make a phone call. Then led the eleven year old girl to another room where he made her brush her teeth and bathe. Then he sexually assaulted.
Speaker 2: Her in her own home.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: He then took her to the kitchen, where he ate some of the food in the kitchen, some cold lamb biscuits, milk, orange juice, before assaulting her once again.
Speaker 2: God okay.
Speaker 1: He left the girl in a lounge chair while he checked on her parents and brother in the master bedroom. Returning, he tied at her ankles with nylon cord, made her sit in a chair, and instructed, quote, I'm going out now, so count to one hundred slowly, then you can free your parents. Before leaving, he picked up the broken glass from the lounge room floor and ripped the telephone from the wall. When she heard the front door close, the girl freed herself and her family. It was about six am. The intruder had been in the house for nearly two hours.
Speaker 2: Man eleven and ten. Hey, that is so disturbing. That is like beyond disturbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. But that's who he's targeting. And he went for like, you know, older women effort. I'm not saying like older women, but like grown ass adults at first. Yeah, and then he for whatever reason made the switch in this instant, which is quite the switch, because I'm not sitting here saying he should have done this or should have done that. But like he had her mother there, so he right specifically chose who he was targeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I never really thought of it like that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, he had also stolen various items on his way out of the home as well, including some of the father's clothes, a jacket, razor, cash, jewelry, and even some vinyl records which were apparently quite collectors collector's items. But besides the point, the man dubbed as mister Krule was leaving residents in Australia absolutely horrified and authorities were scratching their heads.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, this guy needs to get caught like a sap here now.
Speaker 1: The biggest thing, though, was the man seemed to plan his attacks in extreme advance. Remember the case of Sharing, like I said, it was six six months months. He's most I think scouting out families for days, weeks, or even as we just said, months at a time before ever making his move. He executed his plan carefully, can insistently, ensuring that he was well prepared to handle multiple people at once, ensuring he got what he wanted and through it all stayed very calm.
Speaker 2: Well then also doing it in the middle of the night too, because then you're just so getting woken up to that, right you're so alarmed.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well not only so alarmed, but like you're so discombobulated, right, like what's going.
Speaker 2: On and almost think you're dreaming or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you're in the pitch black lights turn on. You can't fucking see. You're so out of it. What the fuck is going on? Yeah, you're you're stunned for let's just say ten seconds. He's got advantage on you for ten seconds. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That is a long time.
Speaker 1: So now his next victim, this is after ten year old sharing, will be a girl by the name of Nikola Linz or Linus. Sorry not Linz, My apologies, read that wrong. On the evening of Tuesday, July thirtieth, nineteen ninety, Brian Linus and his wife Rosemary were picked up by friends to attend a function, leaving their daughter's thirteen year old Nikola and fifteen year old Fiona at home that evening. As on previous nights when they're you know, at home alone or whatever and the parents are out doing whatever it is, the girls ordered pizza. I remember being a kid, you know, it's like parents are going to do with thing, so you get.
Speaker 2: Like take off, right, that's like so exciting.
Speaker 1: So that's what they were doing. It's like, oh, parents are out, we get pizza tonight, right, And the pizza arrived at about ten oh five pm. The girls ate their pizza and then they went to sleep at around eleven pm. However, just twenty minutes later, a man wearing gloves and a dark green belliciclava with creams stitching around the eyes and mouth, forced open a window in the parents' bedroom and entered the home Quietly. He made his way through the home, down the hall and entered the room where both of the girls were sleeping. Mister Krule woke up Nikola by tapping her head with a long serrated carving knife and said, see this, this is a really sharp knife. Then in his other hand he held a gun with a silver barrel and a brown wooden handle, and he said, this is a real gun. It shoots real bullets. Blow your heads off.
Speaker 2: Gosh, this guy's a freaking piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's getting under your skin, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like this is so disturbing. I I am. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I said it once already, and I'm sure I'm gonna say it more times. They call him mister Krule for a reason.
Speaker 2: I think there needs to be a worse name.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough. Now, he led the sisters to their parents' bedroom. He forced the girl's face down on the bed, hogtied Fiona with galvanized wire and took Nicola to the kitchen, where he cut the phone line. Cruel then led Nikola to her own bedroom, told her to get dressed in her school blazer, and took several items of clothing from her drawer, which he would then stuff into a beach bag, a ken done beach bag. He asked about her father's employment and told Fiona he was kidnapping Nicola for a ransom of twenty five thousand dollars, stating he would call their father the following morning to claimant. So at eleven forty seven pm, mister Kruele left with Nikola, placing her in the front seat of the Linus family car parked in the driveway. He took the keys from the kitchen. He told her to get down under the dashboard and pulled her beanie over her eyes. Quote, crouch down on the floor, Get down low, get your head right down.
Speaker 2: This is the eleven year old, right, I believe.
Speaker 1: So I'll have to go back, scroll back and see how.
Speaker 2: Much no she is their okay, this is the older.
Speaker 1: No Fiona fifteen Nikola was.
Speaker 2: Oh oh right, it was thirteen to fifteen. Sorry, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So he drove north out of the driveway and west along Mont Albert Road before stopping and putting thick tape over Nikola's eyes and a belli clava over her head. Quote. If you try to see it will be very dangerous for you, he told her. He then drove for a while further and abandoned the car. He walked with Nicola to another vehicle that was waiting and parked at as assumed a predetermined location, which shows the premeditation shows, the waiting, shows the planning. The drive from there lasted between ten to fifteen minutes before mister Krule pulled into a driveway, led Nicola barefoot off the concrete driveway, up several steps, and threw a kitchen and into a bedroom where radio was playing. He removed the tape from her eyes and replaced it with cotton pads, and he told her a quote keep your eye shut if you want to stay alive. He made her brush your teeth and take a bath. Quote, you've got to clean yourself thoroughly, Clean your teeth thoroughly. Mister Krule leashed Nicola to the bed by her neck before turning off the radio and falling asleep next to her. Nikola lay awake all night, not being able to get an ounce of sleep and being afraid to move a.
Speaker 2: Muscle, scared like shitless.
Speaker 1: At ten am, mister Krule awoke. He turned on the radio and took Nicola between the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. Throughout the day, he dressed her in school dress clothes, making a lot of people speculate that he had a school girl fantasy sort of fetish, because these were some of the clothes that he had taken her home and he was dressing her in. He also claimed that he had followed her home from her school. The next morning, he made her bathe again and dressed her in her tennis skirt, and he began calling her Missy and Nikki, which were names that her friends and family would often call her, obviously suggesting that he'd been watching very closely. At two pm, he leashed Nicola to the bed again and gave her bread and water, quote, I'm just going to tie your feet up now, and he tied her legs with wire and left, returning at five pm. Mister Krule then took Nikola to the bathroom, made her stand on a sheet, and shower to avoid leaving any evidence he replaced her eyepatch with tape, wrapped her in a sheet, and forced her into a car again, back onto the passenger seat floor. Just before two am on Friday morning. He released her and instructed her to count for a while before contacting authorities. Fifty hours after the ordeal began, Nikola knocked on the door and called her father. She was safe.
Speaker 2: WHOA And so he didn't he didn't sexually assault her.
Speaker 1: There are some conflicting reports on whether she was sexually assaulted or not. Okay, Some sources say that he did in fact sexually assault or abuse her during the time that she was held, similar to his other victims. Others suggest that he didn't actually assault her and instead this time it was more psychological sort of stuff he was doing, like the nicknames and the dressing up and those things.
Speaker 2: Well, just the way you were talking, like this is just like such a fucked up game to him.
Speaker 1: Oh it is, and it's he's fucking so twisted. There's there's so many levels to it, because there's the pre which is leading up to the event, the weeks, the months however fucking long he's watching and doing this for, and then there's the moment of going into the house and actually abducting, which he is so planned for and ready. Yeah, he has all his steps once again planned out thoroughly. And then what seems to last not very long for all this build up is the actual abduction and the sexual abuse. Don't get me wrong, it's the most horrific part. And thankfully it doesn't last that long. We've covered cases where it's fucking years, right, Yeah, So thankfully he does let them go.
Speaker 2: It's surprising that he doesn't kill them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there is a massive mind game to this.
Speaker 2: But I mean, he's keeping them alive, but he is damaging. Oh no, he's for the entirety of the rest of their life.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, No, what he's putting them through not cool. It's gonna fuck with them. Yeah, I have no words for it, honestly. So after that, that leads us to Carmen. On Saturday, April thirteenth, nineteen ninety one. It was a nice spring day and thirteen year old Carmen Chan had spent the day attending tennis lessons, having lunch with their mother, and spent time studying alone at the library. In the afternoon, friends of the Chans picked up Carmen and her sister Carly, who was nine and Karen, who was seven, and took them to the family's restaurant, where they had dinner and were seen playing outside. At six thirty pm, on employee of the family restaurant drove the girls home to the family's sprawling home where their father, John was waiting. From there, John greeted them, but he had to leave for work, and it was about an hour later that Carmen was now in charge of babysitting her sisters. This was a routine for the Chan family. After school, Carmen and her sisters would take the bus straight for dinner at the restaurant and get dropped off at home by one of the restaurant employees. It is possible and theorized that someone had followed the girls home from school from the restaurant on one of these trips. In the weeks prior, a man had reported to be sorry reported to Doncaster Police by neighbors for sitting in a sedan apparently watching the school bus opposite the chance House for several mornings. So someone saw this man sitting in a vehicle watching. According to another source, two weeks before, a tradesman had mysteriously appeared at the Chans door looking for work, and the days leading up to this day, the Chans had been forced to turn off their alarm system after something kept setting it off.
Speaker 2: Oh and they oh, no, okay.
Speaker 1: Now their house was essentially a fortress like that. They've got money, right. They had a two meter high fence an electric gate, but still being a fortress or not. On the night of April thirteenth, there was little security that would protect these girls well.
Speaker 2: And honestly, he probably I feel picked that on purpose as a challenge or something.
Speaker 1: Right, they very well could have now well. Carmen and her sisters red stories and watched TV. A man in a green, gray tracksuit and brown belliclava broke in through a window at around eight forty pm. When Carmen and Carly headed to the kitchen for something to eat, he made his move and confronted them with a long silver carving knife quote see this knife, where's your mom and dad? And then he grabbed them by the hair be where he led them back to Carmen's bedroom and this is where he found the other sister, Karen, hiding behind the door. He gagged and bound the two younger sisters, and he shut them in a cupboard and he told them, you, two little ones, get in the cupboard, I won't hurt you. Still holding Carmen by the hair, he pushed a bed against the cupboard door to trap them inside and told them she would be back to get them. From here, things get a little unclear, but she was taken from the home and again, like all the others, placed into a car. The two younger girls, Karen and Carly, managed to free themselves after about ten minutes and called the restaurant to tell their father a man had taken Carmen now. Interestingly enough, the family car was found spray painted with the words quote payback Asian drug dealer, more and more to come now. This led many people into believing that Carmen's father had something to do with us. The family, after all, had a lot of money, and speculation began to circulate about him being involved in some sort of drug ring and having some serious gambling debts. Investigators, however, could not find any evidence of this, and they believed the message was put there as a red hair. Her father was squeaky clean. Each one of these incidentss incidences incidents incidents there you go. Have had things to try and throw people off, from radio stations playing at each time a different radio station, to pretending to be on the phone with someone or acting as if another person was in the room as mister Krule was, holding victims blindfolded, or even pretending that a car wouldn't start and saying that it was a stolen car that a friend had loaned him. Many of these things investigators believe were done to confuse victims, confuse investigators, throwing them off of the trail, and they believe this vehicle, the spray painting was also Yeah, those things.
Speaker 2: That makes sense that I mean, the amount of time that this fucking guy is putting into this shit. Hey, oh yeah, he's It's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Everything, every ounce of his energy is going into planning these and executing these. Yeah everything. I think this is literally his fucking life.
Speaker 2: To do these. Now you even wonder if he has a job or what.
Speaker 1: Hey yeah, Now, through it all, the family was distraught. They wanted their daughter and they wanted their sister back safe. They did press conferences, conferences and pleaded for her safe return. But the days turned into weeks. Oh no, in the weeks turned into months, until finally, on April ninth, nineteen ninety two, a human skull was found in a landfill area at the rear of an electrical substation on the intersection of Mahoney's Road and High Street. Dental records confirmed it was Carmen Chan and she had been shot at least three times in the back of the head. Her badly decomposed body had been there for a year.
Speaker 2: No no, yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: Now. A witness who lived in a house overlooking the landfill area where Carmen's remains were found recalled seeing a man wearing a hooded waterproof raincoat digging beside a truck on a gray and rainy day. When this sighting occurred, It's kind of unclear, but two three days after Carmen's abduction, the weather was cloudy with showers.
Speaker 2: Okay, man, so he has really escalated here. That is just so brutal, so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, a lot of people do have their doubts that mister Krull was responsible for Carmen's death.
Speaker 2: Oh, they think of someone else.
Speaker 1: Carmen's execution style murder a hallmark of a criminal hit, they say, rather than a murder by a pedophile. So they're saying, you know, maybe the messages on the car were true. Maybe this execution style is showing or saying something.
Speaker 2: And it has nothing to do with this other dude.
Speaker 1: That's what some think. Authorities disagree, and Phyllis, Carmen's mother, however, firmly disagrees as well. She believes that Carmen's fate may have been sealed in the moment that she may have ripped off her blindfold in the abduction, making her the only person to see mister Kruhle's face. But in that moment, he made sure she would be unable to tell anyone what she saw.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I mean I guess he has all these really weird freaking rules.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, huh. It is believed that this man could be responsible mister Krule or connected to up to a dozen different incidents. One of the primary challenges in investigating mister Krule is the lack of forensic evidence that was left behind. His meticulous approach to cleaning up crime scenes, leaving behind false clues left little for investigators to work with. He wore gloves, he wore a mask. He ensured that there was no fingerprints or DNA left behind. This careful attention to deeptail frustrated investigators and made it very difficult to develop any sort of leads. Now they have found a partial fingerprint that may be mister Crules, may not be, and a swab from a rape kit from one of the victims. But outside of that, they have some descriptions from incidents which allowed for several composite sketches of mister Krule to be created, which were widely circulated. Now, these sketches portray a man in his thirties or forties with a slim build and a calm, methodical demeanor. But apart from that, they have nothing.
Speaker 2: This fucking case isn't solved.
Speaker 1: Ben, There's no definitive identification that has ever been made, and the identity of mister Kruel is still to this day a mystery. Damn it.
Speaker 2: I was waiting to hear about this motherfucker. I know you, and what the hell he is doing?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Okay, that is the case that really ends.
Speaker 2: We're done, and after Carmen is Carmen right, Yes, there's just like there was no other victims that we know of, that we know of.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're speculated that it can be responsible of to a dozen. But there's the there's the four that I talked about are the four confirmed mister Kruel. In fact, actually one of them is still speculated.
Speaker 2: But yeah, gosh, the guy has gotten away with as shit and just live in his life. He has live in his fucked up life he has. Wow, I'm shocked. I didn't actually expect this one to be not solved.
Speaker 1: Now. I do want to say there is a website called who is mister Cruel dot com. It was a major source in this episode, and I do want to say you guys should go check it out because there is a lot of there's This is a massive case, like I could probably go on for like twelve episodes in this case, it's insane. I do recommend you go check out this website, do some reading, dive into it because it is very interesting. It's quite wild, and they do go through some suspects, but I mean, there's there's nothing really that's ever really come forward as far as suspects are. It's just like maybe sort of thing, but that's about it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that is so disappointing that he did such terrible things yeah, and it's just live in his life.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's exactly what he's doing. He got away with it so far.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that just I feel like gets me so much about with true crime is when it's not solved and that they are not paying for their actions. I just can't. I can't deal with that, especially like these there's kids involved, Like, Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm not okay, you don't say.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Are you just gonna like stress punch me in the face after this or something? That's what I feel like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Alarmed or on guard after this.
Speaker 1: If I have a black eye in next week's.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, says me, who woke up with the freaking sore nose the other day? You punched me in the nose while I was sleeping. I think what my nose was so sore. It was the weirdest thing I've ever encountered.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's probably the dogs kicking you in the face or something.
Speaker 2: Something happened while I was sleeping.
Speaker 1: Clearly, Yeah, anyways, that's the case. Like I said, go check out that website, and I'm sorry to drop a mystery one on you. I was really tempted at the beginning to tell you guys, it's an unsolved case. It's a mystery. But you know what, it's been a long time since I left the hangar, so I was like, you know what, No, I'm leaving it on this one.
Speaker 2: I guess, Yeah, it has been a while, so I.
Speaker 1: Guess I've been very nice and recent.
Speaker 2: Unsolved, I've been very nice.
Speaker 1: I have my house, I've told people ahead of time. It's all at the beginning, I'm like, this is an unsolved case. No, this one, I'm pretty sure people were going to get some angry.
Speaker 2: Messages though possibly, No, it happened.
Speaker 1: It's it's definitely going to happen. I know it will happen, but trust me worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, that would have been a very hard one to research and to present. So I guess you had to get a little something out of this, right, yes.
Speaker 1: Well, anyways, if you guys want to check out our social links and everything else we have, it's in the description of this podcast. We have Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, two YouTube channels. Ones of log one you can catch a video form of this podcast. You can go ahead and check that, and you can see Nicole's OMG reactions and me pointing at the camera and opening a.
Speaker 2: Beer and all not making eye contact at you because I'm pissed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. All the good stuff is there, including Patreon. We have merch If you guys want to give us a rating, we appreciate that. It really helps the show. We are an independent podcast produced out of our tiny home solo. It's just us, that's it. So yeah, we appreciate all the support.
Speaker 2: We sure do. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, thank you for being here until next time.
Speaker 2: Until next time, Stay wicked.
Speaker 1: I thought I was going to say it per second.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll say it too.
Speaker 1: No, it's all good. You got it, you did good.
Speaker 2: Okay, stay Wicked.