Speaker 1: This is Brady one more time. I'll look back on all things nineties and two thousands. The movies come on the album. Yelly clarkson the awkwardness.
Speaker 2: Or bizarre step as we watch on live television O. J. Simpson negotiating with a police dispatcher being followed down a closed freeway by nine sheriff's deputies and most of the Los Angeles news media.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, Brady Broski. You probably did it. Wow, that was a trip down memory lane. Hey are you ready? So let's time take care of yourself and each other? Yeah, that's so good. Love us some Jerry Springer from the Fod of God about that side off you did. It's a little ironic, don't you think that we're playing it in the beginning?
Speaker 3: No, just the side off with the content of the show. That that's his sign off, take care of yourself and each other? Like is that what his show did?
Speaker 1: No? Yeah, but you know what. I'm gonna move this monitor so I can see your face. How's that? But I need to see my notes? Can you see your ye? I can see my.
Speaker 3: Spind the No, no, no, you're good, okay, We're good there, Okay, all right, I can see you now.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite open ever. Yeah, we're gonna do some Jerry Springer talk today. That's what it's. It's Brady Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. It's the most nostalgialistic podcast. I'm planning to earth fact. Yeah, I am Brady. I am the host with them. Well, I'm not really the host of the mom like the host with like just like just the right amount. It's just what you need to get by. That's what that's not the most. That's what the podcast strives to be. Yes, well, because the most is that's a lot. Yeah, I think about how much the most is. I'm like the host with Yeah, he's got some stuff for you. No one's gonna have the most.
Speaker 3: At at six pm on a Thursday.
Speaker 1: Brady from Brady one more time, and Dan is here the kickball King? What uh the kickball King? We got snowed out on Tuesday. Yeah, the field was too icy. It's gonna be three more weeks to go. A guy who you never want to bring with you as a wingman to Christmas barcrawl because will leave you within twenty minutes. That did happen in two thousand and eight. It is delicate, Dan Ginsburg, do you realize that that happened so long ago that it falls within the time range that we now, like nostalgically look back on on this podcast. Is that not crazy? Can we do an episode of of Single Brady Dan and Dan's Adventures it's a tea box episode. Oh yeah, yeah, we sent each other some fun memories on Facebook and Instagram that pop up. I just realized that was in two thousand and eight. Would you like to Yeah, what definitely wasn't Would you like to explain that story of the.
Speaker 3: Well, so tea Box is a lovely bar crawl that starts at what time? Did we start like eight nine am?
Speaker 1: Pretty early? Yeah? Every cereal? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You bring cereally, you pour it in people's mouths. You meet people, and I met I was I was single, and I met a lovely woman and and I spent some time with her while you continued to the bar crawl with some random strangers for the rest of the day.
Speaker 1: What time, if people are asking themselves listening right now, what time did Dan leave said bar crawl to just go enjoy some quality time with this new friend. I would say it was somewhere like eight o'clock. At night earlier, a little earlier. Okay, so what are we talking here, I would say, maybe like twelve thirty pa, I'm like the new now. Yeah, yeah, I was there. I was like, we're okay, well it's just me now. But anyways, she made some freshly baked muffins that she was providing a people day. Yeah. No, she made them when you guys hung out.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, no, no, she had made them that morning.
Speaker 1: For her friend. Brought them to the Barkrawl. Not exactly. They were somewhere.
Speaker 3: I went home with one and my dear friend Brad, who was in town visiting. He was living in New York at the time, and he was staying with me. He and I split that muffin when I got home.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yeah, Brad's a great guy to share with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he also met someone that day, Sorry, Brad, Yeah, that's whatever.
Speaker 1: You know what. Brad's a part of this as well at this point, So a secondary character. Here we go, we're talking about Jerry Springer today. We have a game. We're in a fun game here in just a second where Dan's gonna give me the name of a Jerry Springer episode and I have to guess if it's a real episode or fake one. That's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: Excited, Okay, and if you get better than fifty to fifty, it's surprised.
Speaker 1: If you know what we should do.
Speaker 3: We should also flip a coin and see if you can beat the coin flip.
Speaker 1: You want to do that too? Can it be a penny rip pennies? I saw that rip pennies. Had so much fun with pennies, like bought candy with them back in the day.
Speaker 3: We should really be doing this whole podcast about pennies.
Speaker 1: We'll do it. We'll do one topical. We'll do one on change, what we used to buy with change, where we used to find change machine. Uh, clearly we are already off the rails. Jerry Springer, Yeah, right, that's what we're talking about. I thought I bring it up. I mean Jerry Springer the TV show. First of all, Jerry a law degree graduate here in Chicago. Yeah, Northwestern. I didn't know that until I was doing he was a Chicagoan. He s he was in politics for a long time mayor of Cincinnati at one point. Yeah, it's actually so my you know.
Speaker 3: I got my start on Z one O four in Madison and then the second station I worked for. It doesn't exist anymore, But Madison had a progressive talk station that was part of one of the stations our company owned. In the first station, I was on air on after Z one o four. It was called The Mike ninety two point one and it was Air America, which was like this syndicated network of basically like liberal talk shows. And Jerry Springer had a show and I used to cut in and do the you know, the syndicated national show. I used to cut in and do the local news, you know, the local Madison news on the syndicated show. But it was like a serious political talk show.
Speaker 1: That's while I didn't know that. And this is while his TV show is running.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this, and it would have been probably toward the end, it may be after the show or toward the end. This would have been like two thousand and six. Now, no, because it ended in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, show was still on then. Sorry, No, it ended in twenty eighteen. In two thousand and nine, it moved from Chicago to Connecticut, so the show was definitely going on when he had the radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting, pretty wild set of two different things to be doing.
Speaker 1: Serious, and I'm not really serious over here with the TV show. Yeah, and the TV show, you know, the long one of the longest running daytime talk shows, really started in ninety one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was political and social issue for the start, that was that was his wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Rail it didn't work, and somebody came in, you know what we're gonna do. We're gonna do I don't want to use the word it's derogatory, but we're going to use small people. This is what we're gonna do, is we're going to do a lot of things that are just going to make people go, what the fuck. Yeah, So, yeah, it was the way.
Speaker 3: You know, Phil Donahue kind of went that direction first he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought Phil was always seen. Now Phil Phil got a little bit more edgy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then Jerry Springer sort of took a page out of the playbook and went just completely extra with it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you how I felt about the show because growing up that was we watched that show as kids. But at the time it was it was. It was really met with a huge negative response. The Chicago Tribune said it was the second worst show of nineteen ninety six. Which I feel like that was. It's a good question. We'll have to find out. But it was the second worst show. It could have been worse, which is why I think ninety six is probably its peak. Like that's when it was really getting like the craziest. It was a topped TV Guide magazine's list of the worst TV Shows Ever. And then this guy, Bernard Goldberg, he has a book out titled one hundred People who Are Screwing Up America and Jerry Springer was in that book quoted as being TV's lowest life form. That's that's a little that's a little much. Yeah, wrong words, But I also get where the sentiments come. I mean it was I don't know that it was contributing.
Speaker 3: To society in a positive way, right, Well, okay, I mean it was normalizing a lot of shit. It was normalizing violence, which granted a lot of things were doing that. It wasn't just him, just like dysfunctional families people. It was making you know, the crowd was I think what made me what I disliked the most?
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, before you go any further, I'm just going to ask you straight up the first question, did you enjoy the show? Did you watch it, Did you like it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I watched it like I watched a train wreck. I would say, I don't know if I was entertained by it. I don't know if I would go so far as to say I liked it. I think I kind of felt icky when I watched it, but I was but it was one of those things you just couldn't turn off.
Speaker 1: Okay. I think when it evolved into like all of the fighting and Steve Wilko's breaking up fights and all of that. Steve Wilco Chicago guy, Yeah, there you go, has his own show. Yeah, right right, he turned that role somehow into his own career. I don't know, I think I as I it was.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was me getting older and being more aware of the world and thinking about societal impacts and stuff that I didn't care about when I was a kid, or just their direction the show took. But there was a time when I was entertained by it, and I think a time when I.
Speaker 1: Was just like, this is too much, because just judging by just judging by the tone of your voice, it sounds like you like now as you've matured and you understand some of the topics that they were, you know, providing on television were wrong. Yeah, ethically for you right right now, you're looking back at it as like, I don't I don't know if I liked it, because I have a similar I have a similar thought process of if I enjoyed the show to that of south Park. Yeah, because south Park was so outrageous and they did things, but it was a cartoon so they could get away with more. This was being ridiculous just to be ridiculous, right, I mean to me, there's a big difference. Though I get the comparison, but there's a big difference to me because yes, south Park was extremely like obscene and offensive and all that, probably even more so they murdered one of the kids, every right, and I mean in every way.
Speaker 3: But like south Park also had like a political statement met like was commenting on society and making actual, like real like valid points about issues with society, whereas Springer was more just sort of mocking society and some.
Speaker 1: TV the word trash. I dispute that. For me, it wasn't anything representative of where I grew up or how I grew up, but more so what I was exposed to with entertainment. You know, I grew up a huge, huge wrestling w w F WWE fan, and I understood what real life is in it is scripted and what's fake for the purpose of entertainment. And at that same time, when the WWE was blowing up to the highest ratings they ever had, they were doing some of the most outrageous things possible and in my mind, in everybody's fans mind, like, this is just entertaining. Like it's obviously they're obviously not blowing up a limo. And Vince McMahon's in it, right, Like same thing with Jerry Springer. This guy obviously doesn't do you know this this uh whatever, wearing the dog the dog collar, walking around feeding him dog like I understood, I understood it.
Speaker 3: And that's a really interesting comparison. I think that's dead on.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because right there was a lot of the content, I mean, there was all kinds of controversy surrounding Springer, but a lot of it was this is all fake and if you were really watching the show, there wasn't a question about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. My so my point is, uh, if you're taking it at phase value, it's just this stupid hour show that you're gonna be you're gonna laugh, or you're going to be like whatever. But if you took it serious, that saying a little bit more about you. Fair. Fair.
Speaker 3: But they also like marketed it like it was serious. But so this is a weird analogy and sorry to get a little bit political, but I would compare it like Fox News, you know how they say like they are the truth if they just marketed themselves. I think when people have an issue with Fox News, it's because they're presenting it like this is the truth and the others are line, whereas if it was marketed as where like a conservative slant on what's going on in the world today, I feel like people wouldn't have as much of an issue with it. Similar with Springer, They're they're presenting each episode like these are all real people doing real things. I think if if it were more self aware, I feel like WWE is more self aware of these are athletes, but these are these are all scripts and entertainment.
Speaker 1: See. I think I just think maybe I'm in the minority here. I just always sat down and if I ever watched it, which I didn't watch on the regular, if it was on, I would like, watch it's funny. I thought it was entertaining because it's so stupid and so out there. How far can they go? There's a small window where I like, really enjoyed it. But I think that was my maturity level. But if if I ever sat down and did see an episode, I'm like, within this within a second, I'm like, that person's not really that person. I just think I I just think I had like, like I said, maybe growing up watching wrestling made me think that everything I see on TV. And by the way, there's a lot of stuff on TV we see now that think your your news example, I don't. I don't believe much is real, real quotes, the real world wasn't real, right, So that's my that that that's what that's that's how I looked at it. I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: I would just say I if I had to bet, I bet a way higher percentage of w w E viewers know, you know, what is and isn't real when they're watching that versus Springer viewers back, especially.
Speaker 1: Early on, especially early, especially early on, but then but then I feel as the show progressed, it got even more and more ridiculous. Yeah, because I think they had to kind of own up, like, Okay, we're not really this isn't really, this isn't real violence. This is stage violence. But there was real violence after the show. There were a lot of you know that.
Speaker 3: A lot of the other criticism it got was there were there were some deaths and some fights and some messed up stuff that happened to some of the people who came on the show after they were on the show.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. What would that content it ended in twenty I think I said twenty eighteen, would that content be acceptable in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 3: A lot of it wouldn't. I would say most of it wouldn't. Yeah, but some you know, the are you the father type stuff that's still that's still gets survived. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is hilarious, hilarious.
Speaker 1: I mean the has become more about the reaction than people actually trying to figure out we care about this this this this child and who it's it's father is going to be. It's more about like how can we make this funny or yeah or yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the stuff targeting people's physical character, you know, targeting over you know, making fun of overweight people, making fun of little people, making fun of disabled people. I mean, that type of stuff would be immediately.
Speaker 1: Right not it makes it just makes me wonder, because yes, you have to evolve. I mean, we went to a comedy show last weekend. Comedians have had to evolve, right, so I would think they would have to do they would have to be a lot more careful. And I don't think that show was built on the foundation of being careful careful.
Speaker 3: It's kind of the opposite is how much, how far can we push the line? I mean that's where your South Park analogy really does fit.
Speaker 1: I think I met Jerry, Yeah, I did so when he moved when they moved the studios from Chicago to Connecticut. He was doing like a Connecticut kind of radio tour and I was in Hartford at the time, and it was really excited obviously just because legend. And sure, I will tell you he was a very during the interview, very kind, but also like really really soft spoken, like like there was you know when somebody walks into the room and they you know, they immediately grab your attention, all eyes are on this person. He was the opposite of that. He was just kind of like, I don't know, he just it didn't feel like, not in a bad way. He just didn't have the spotlight. I don't I don't think he. I don't think he ever really wanted it. From what from the brief interactions that I had with him, I just feel like he, deep down he was a kind person who really did care about people. Hence Jerry's Final Thought, and he just got thrown into this talk show that turned into this insane just blew up, you know, snowballed into this wild thing, and he went along with it. But I also think when he did do his final Thought, that was a way for him personally and kind of be like a human you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Well here, I mean right, it's almost an interesting like societal like how far would you go?
Speaker 1: Type of thing?
Speaker 3: Right, because I agree with you, and you know, when I was doing news for his uh syndicated show, I mean he if you listened to his show and we're told this is the same guy who's doing the Jerry Springer show, you'd be like, how is that possible? Because he sounded similar to what you're describing. He was very you know, he would take callers and talk cartfeld about issues that mattered to him.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. I mean, you know, what, what would you do?
Speaker 3: You know, let's say they took your Kiss FM afternoon show and kept pushing and pushing to get it edge or and edgeer to try to get every little sliver of extra ratings they could out of it. You know, at what point is there a point where you become uncomfortable with it and you say, I'm not going to do this anymore?
Speaker 1: Or do you go along with it?
Speaker 3: Because you know, every time you bring in more of an audience, you bring in more money.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, more money. More money is the answer. More money.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I think most I think most people would say, yeah, would say, if you were in Jerry Springer's shoes and you knew you could make millions more by making this show trashier, you know, it's hard to blame him.
Speaker 1: It's a matter of ethics. Yeah, yeah, right. But I think in the nineties too, because look, the TV show was sex, drugs, and rock and roll, and that's what that and that's what that era was. It was. It was say whatever you can say to make people go, oh my god, I can't believe he just said that. That's what that era was. Like some of the comedians back in the day would just be trying to try to top Howard Stern. Yep, yep, right, Howard Stern. He built He built a huge foundation in a career in uh, you know, an empire based on how far can I go? And ended up off terrestial radio for that reason. But he also got paid abilities. But yeah, I think I think it's I think it was a sign of the times. I think it was sex, drugs, and rock and roll. It was everything that everybody thought was funny. So twenty twenty five, it probably wouldn't have the same reaction, or if it did, it would be half of the audience, half of America, really right, there would be protests outside certain Yeah, yeah, it's pretty interesting. And then last, before we get to the game, it wouldn't be a podcast episode if I didn't bring up a Mount Rushmore. Okay, so Mount Rushmore Springer episode. No, no, no, okay, I don't know that. I would say the Mount Rushmore of daytime talk show hosts is he? Is he on your Mount Rushmore all time? I meantime, what's the criteria? If it's just like your person, your person, I wouldn't put him on my person he's not on your person? Who's not who's on your personal line?
Speaker 3: Your person?
Speaker 1: Don't really watch Daytime? Where were you at school? Dan? Who goes to school? Who does it? Skip? And watch Springer? Kelly Clarkson Actually, okay, hold on a second. Is she on your Mount rush? I know she is so good. I did not see that coming, did you? No?
Speaker 3: No, you told me when you know Breakaway was number one on CHR. That's worth her.
Speaker 1: She's an honorable mention for my Mount rushmore. But she's definitely going to be on there in and Oprah Ellen and Oprah are mine. So there's Jerry, I have Jerry mine, but you so you're putting Kelly saved three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got Kelly Ellen, Oprah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Regius, you can put Regis on there. He was great, Yeah, he has he had his he has Yeah, Maury's on my fourth. Okay, yeah, because I mean, yes, I mean everybody knows like the father bit right, of course? Of course? Okay, you're ready to play the game. Yeah. I was trying to figure out what the hell the worst show was of nineteen ninety six was, but I gave up. Did the list? It was from the Chicago Tribune Okay, Yeahune.
Speaker 3: Tribune Worst Shows of night and it.
Speaker 1: Was and it was shows, not just talk shows. I would say, what was that? Oh? Is that The Waynes Brothers. No way, this guy's lost zero, he has zero. The Waynes Brothers was amazing. Worst show, the Wayans Brothers.
Speaker 3: Any show this bad deserves some kind of award as long as those involved.
Speaker 1: No, this is not a good thing. Yeah, yeah, I can't, can't, can't take that guy serious. Wonder wonder what Steve Johnson's doing these days? He probably still.
Speaker 3: Works across the That'll be our next episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're gonna play a game. I'm gonna say so, let's go with five. You're gonna pick five. I'm gonna try and get I'm gonna try and get three. I'm gonna try and go over five hundred. I'm gonna try and get three. Okay, all right, what's what's your over under? What do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we'll go over unders two and a half if you can do better than a coin foot?
Speaker 1: Do you know what are you picking? What do you you're sitting You're picking the under? Uh for three? Yeah, if it's three, I'm gonna take I'll take then you're taking the under Okay, okay, okay. So Dan's gonna give me a name of a Jerry Springer episode that is either true or not true, real or not real. So and if I get it correct, let me know, give me the thumbs up. And I am gonna play Wolf Farrell saying I drive you dot tratus. And if I get it wrong, that's the right. Yeah, I forgot. I forgot to put an air worn thing cool. Wrong, It's just a buzzer. Okay, So it's a buzzer. We're will fair. I mean that's fair. Okay.
Speaker 3: I've got thirty here, so I'm trying to make this as hard as hard as I possibly can.
Speaker 1: All Right, don't overthink it, dang.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, first one, stripper wars my poll, my rules.
Speaker 1: That's definitely that's definitely a real one. What stripper balls? That's fake that you did that? That was tricky because that is so some He loves stripper poles on that show and strippers. Okay, damn for one? What do you got? All right? You stole my man at the family reunion. So that leads me, based on the first one, that leads me to think it's an obvious. Yes, but the way that you're playing this game, I'm gonna say no, you're correct, I'm correct. Okay, one and one? Okay, I see this, Sam, see now. Now it's more of a game of me versus. It's not a in about spring. Okay. Are you thinking I'm gonna go fake or real? Here? What do you think? Do you think I'm gonna go fake? No? Don't play that game. No, just just give it to me. What do you got? Okay? Uh?
Speaker 3: My boyfriend stole my wheelchair.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't be laughing, but I am because it's funny and it's true. It is true. True, two and one? Oh? All I need is one? All I need is one more. Here we go, Here we go.
Speaker 3: Uh My man won't stop dressing like a baby.
Speaker 1: That's true. I saw that one. That is true. Just give me one more.
Speaker 3: Even though over to speed around here, I'm having your baby and your dad's too.
Speaker 1: I think that's true that I'm really good at this game. It's like I've played it before. I'm in love with a mannequin. True? And you got these from what chatchebt? Yeah, just give me some of them. I wrote some of them. Jimmy, give me like a really like a ridiculous chat GPT false one A false yeah, yeah, yeah, like a ridiculous one. My dog is my baby now I think I would have guessed that's true. Yeah. My girlfriend thinks she's Beyonce. That's a false one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Chat GPT did pretty well. They're tricky because three way fiance fiasco. I mean, that's a great episode right there, but it's fake. Yeah, awesome, till next time. Take care of yourself.
Speaker 1: I love it. Can we start signing off every episode that way? And Jerry Jerry, Jerry Jerry, what did you think? What do you think of Jerry Springer? I would let to know what people thought of it? Were they were they fans? Were they not fans? Were they fans a little bit? And then as they got older they're like, yeah, were they fans like me that liked it at first? And then it just was like, okay, it's the same thing. Now we're just now we're just dumb. Yeah, I mean, you grow up, you evolved.
Speaker 3: I was a fan of leaving tea box at twelve thirty PM back in the twenty tens.
Speaker 1: And now you leave at one thirty. Depending if a girl's got a muffin for Dan to eat. Oh what a good line, ladies. If you're listening, just bring a muffin and find Dan at Brady Radio on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Do I want to give out my Instagram at this point? I think this is the best time for you to give it out at dan Ge zero for eight too.
Speaker 1: I love it. Follow, like, subscribe, share, and we will talk to you this day.