Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Governor Newsom signed into law yesterday bill that's going to require schools in the state to limit or ban the use of smartphones amid a growing consensus that we've seen across the country. Basically, California's bill passed seventy six to nothing in the state Assembly thirty eight to one in the state Senate. Requires school boards or other governing bodies to have some sort of a policy to either limit or prohibit student use of smartphones on campus by July of twenty twenty six, with an update every five years.
Speaker 1: Former Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Farv has announced that he's been diagnosed with Parkinson's. This was a disclosure made to Congress while testifying about his potential misuse of taxpayer money.
Speaker 2: So the A's are wrapping up their time in the Oakland Coliseum this week.
Speaker 3: Thursday is their last game. They played the Texas Rangers.
Speaker 2: The A's have been telling the players and coaching staff get out of there quickly. On Thursday, Seth Brown, and a left fielder, said there have been rumblings about what the fans might do. The team is going to have more meetings about it. Another outfielder said that the message from the organization has been leave after the game. Players have not only been instructed to keep their head on a swivel in case fans storm the field on Thursday, but skip any postgame photos on the field with family these Mark Cottsey, the manager, has been asked not to address the crowd after the game.
Speaker 1: These aren't Philadelphia Eagles fans. These are A's fans, and all the A's fans want as for the A's.
Speaker 3: To do well. There's not going to be a security problem. I mean they're all mad at John's, the owner, Yeah, something like that. I mean they're all.
Speaker 1: Wanted to sell the team, right. I wouldn't be worried about A's fans ever. Okay, So in July we learned about a woman visiting Orange County from New Zealand who was killed during an armed robbery at Fashion Island in Newport Beach. And you thought Fashion Island, I mean that is as high end as you can get. Fashion Island in South Coast Plaza, right. Three suspects in that incident are accused in the attempted robbery in which this woman was dragged by their getaway car. A suspect fired from that car, though no one was hit by the gunfire. And then in August, a month later, at least one shot was fired at Fashion Island. Two men, one driving of rolls, the other a Ferrari were targeted by robbers. That one of the victims suffered an injury to his ear from shattered glass or from a gun shot or what have you. And now the violence has moved from Fashion Island to South Coast Plaza.
Speaker 2: Sunday night officers responded about eight forty to a shooting there thirty three hundred block of Bristol. They found a guy who'd been shot in the parking lot to his Lamborghini SUV. Coasta Mesa fire shows up transport this guy, believe to be in his thirties to hospital treatment of a non fatal gunshot wound. They said that somebody approached this guy in the parking lot and shot him in the leg while attempting to rob him.
Speaker 3: He was right next to his Lamborghini SUV, so obviously a target.
Speaker 2: Right believe that the guy was leaving a restaurant when he got confronted by this shooter. Believe the shooting was isolated, that there's no ongoing threat to the public.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is.
Speaker 2: You drive a flashy car or want to wear your Rolex in public?
Speaker 1: Right, you just can't do that anymore. Take your old Honda Accord to South Coast Plaza. It's so unfortunate that you can't wear your watches, drive your cars. What have you you worked hard for? Yeah, they say it's an isolated incident because in Costa Mesa we have not had this type of incident as reoccurring.
Speaker 3: Well, get ready to am.
Speaker 1: I mean we talked about this at Fashion when the Fashion Island situations happened.
Speaker 3: It's not like there is a lack of security.
Speaker 1: These places are loaded with security because of the high end merchandise that they shill.
Speaker 3: So what do we do?
Speaker 2: Do you just stop driving your Lamborghini Suv or do you leave your Rolex on the nightstand and to pick up the Armatron calculator watch instead.
Speaker 1: Luckily I did not have the decision whether to buy a Lamborghini or my GMC truck. That was not something I had to weigh. But you got to believe that if you have f and you money that you're you're terrified of being a sitting duck.
Speaker 3: And there are people who will say, well, they deserve it.
Speaker 2: If you're going to drive around in out Lamborghini SUV or induced can you need But but that's not what That's not how we decide who deserves something like this is what can.
Speaker 1: If I if I won the lottery, I would totally buy a Lamborghini or a McLaren.
Speaker 2: You that's the second reference to McLaren. I think that there's something because.
Speaker 1: When I was in Charlotte driving to the iHeart station, drove by a McLaren showroom every morning, really, so I'd like look inside. So that's why it was fresh on my mind.
Speaker 4: I get it, Okay, Hey, getting chance CORSEI King currently in Lake Forest. BJ's is great because they make a lot of their food to pair with their beers. Yes, and the one I found is the best. As you get the rib steak, which I will be getting. How you pair it with their piranha ale, it's absolutely magical.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: Tell you see you guys on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see on Thursday.
Speaker 2: We're going to be live for our latest news and bruise at BJ's Restaurant in brew House in Huntington Beach, the one on Beach Boulevard right off.
Speaker 3: The four oh five. It sounds like the course Light King is going to be there as I can't wait. We'll be there nine to one, giving away all kinds of tickets.
Speaker 2: We have all kinds of Gary and Shannon show swag that we'll have out there with us, some interviews with some local people.
Speaker 3: By the ways. Oh really, Sam, Matt, Wait, you haven't told me about that. I don't need to tell you everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, sometimes it's better if you're surprised, like you surprised me this morning with this rat's nest of hair that you brought in with no brush.
Speaker 3: And it's funny nobody has a brush around here. I checked. I don't. Yeah, I know one of us. I thought you were going to be the one.
Speaker 1: You know what, Deborah, Deborah Mark will have one. Yeah, she'll probably have several. I'm gonna go find Dan hairspray. Oh yeah, Oh, I don't need hairspr Do I need hairspray?
Speaker 3: Gary, Well, we'll discuss after the brushing.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon kfi am six forty Live Everywhere on The iHeartRadio app campaign continues today. President former President Trump is in Georgia right now. He's talking about the economy. He's in given a speech in Savannah. There was some discussion that Vice President Harris is going to make her way to the border at some point this week, maybe Friday. I don't know if that changes as a result of Hurricane Helene, the future Hurricane Helene that is brewing in the Caribbean, but that is one of the things that they were talking about. Also, set your alarms, ladies and gentlemen. One week from today, the debate between vice presidential candidates Senator jd Vance and Governor Tim Wallas. That'll be fun, moderated by CBS Evening News anchor Nora O'Donnell and The Face the Nation host Margaret Brennan.
Speaker 1: I hate that I that I think it'll be fun, but I do think it will be fun.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: The Disciples Peter James, John Andrew, Philip Judas one, Judas two, Matthew Thomas James, son of Alpheus, Bartholomew, and Simon.
Speaker 3: There we go, all.
Speaker 2: Right, there you go. Did you know how high obesity is? Did you know it's thirty five percent?
Speaker 3: Getting higher. What is it?
Speaker 2: The US obesity rate is right at forty percent. Wow, that's massive, that's obesity. I was being cute when I said thirty five percent. Nearly one in ten of those surveyed reported severe obesity.
Speaker 3: This is what makes me sad.
Speaker 2: Women are nearly twice as likely as men to report severe obesity. The overall obesity rate appeared to tick down versus the twenty seventeen twenty twenty study, but the change wasn't considered statistically significant.
Speaker 1: Stand up for this, SA sitting is one of the worst things you can do.
Speaker 3: They said.
Speaker 2: The numbers are even small enough that there's mathematical chance they didn't decline at all, that it's just a statistical anomaly.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just keep advertising. Come for the chicken wings, Get four double doubles and three sides of fries and onion rings for five dollars.
Speaker 3: Let's just keep let's lean into it.
Speaker 2: Well and not discuss what has changed over the last forty or fifty years. Yeah, this wasn't This wasn't the case in the seventies.
Speaker 1: No, it's all of the peddling of the processed foods. It's the tobacco problem all over.
Speaker 2: Again, which is it's funny because you know who owns all the foods, the.
Speaker 1: Tobaccos, tobacco companies. They just pivoted to killing you in a different way.
Speaker 3: I like that to conspiracy.
Speaker 2: It's not a conspiracy theory, I know. But when we say it, people are going to say it's a conspiracy.
Speaker 3: It's absolutely not. Do the research we have, all right, It just kisses me off good.
Speaker 1: It's like we're still falling for all of the tactics that we fell for with cigarettes and everything else.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: A couple in Sierra Madre recently discovered a bear squatting in their crawl space. Now it could be worse. This bear did not figure out how to open doors like some of the other bears. There has been a spike in bear break ins.
Speaker 2: This bear, they have called it Junior, is seen on a wildlife camera walking along North Sunnyside Avenue and the homeowner says he comes in about five five point thirty in the morning, stays in the crawl space where it's nice and cool, probably, and then leaves at night. Hasn't caused any problems for us, other than the fact that there's a bear living under our porch, and their concern is they're going to basically wait until the bear leaves. Then they're going to call in some experts to I don't know, fix the crawl space so that the bear can't get in there.
Speaker 1: Bear encounters and Sierra Madre jumped from one hundred sidings and no break ins that was in twenty twenty to three hundred and eighty sidings and fifty break ins last year.
Speaker 2: Assistant City Attorney Alex Giagosian says something interesting happened in the last two years, and like Jurassic Park, the bears have learned how to open doors. I don't know how they learned it. I don't know how they're teaching each other, but they're opening car doors.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's fascinating. Yeah, they've mastered door knobs and a car door handle.
Speaker 3: How do they teach each other that? How does that work?
Speaker 1: Or have they evolved to knowing how to open these things for survival?
Speaker 2: Like when you go on Twitter and you see videos about football, I'm sure that bear twitter is full of little tricks and tips and hints on how to open doors and bear Twitter, Yeah, I think that Why is it? Why would it be different? When we were in the Smoky Mountains a couple of weeks ago. Every warning was don't leave stuff in your car. They can get in right, don't leave stuff, you know, don't leave raw meats on the counter at your house if you're not home, they'll find it and they'll get into your house. Why would it be different here? Do we have dumb bears in California? I think that's a perfectly acceptable for them to learn how to do this. You think it's acceptable, Well, I mean it's understandable. That's a better word. It's understandable. The bears would know how to do that. You have taken up the cause the mantle of the bear. If bears need to be taught how to use doorknobs, I am available. I can do a quick bear seminar on doorknob opening.
Speaker 1: In August, a man in Claremont came face to face with a bear in his kitchen when he went to check on cookies he was baking.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, imagine you turn the corner and there's a bear in your kitchen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've often thought about it because my house, the back wall in the backyard backs up like pretty close to those sliders. So when a bear walks by, it's right there, It's like four feet away from me, and I'm on the other side of the glass, and I often think, hey, dumbass, that bear could make child's play out of that slider.
Speaker 2: If yeah, if they wanted to. But you don't brush your hair, so they're like they want to do any of that. I don't want to get that caught in my teeth.
Speaker 3: How many times are you going to bring that up? Listen? This is heart.
Speaker 1: This is a funny thing where there's one, two, three, four, five, six seven eight women here right now and none of.
Speaker 3: Us have a brush, Like how quintessential?
Speaker 1: Like what a stereotypical radio stat that is, Like none of us brought a brush.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious. I brush my hair once a day. Yeah, I usually I can't.
Speaker 1: It gets tangled and it looks I look like a wet dog, and I just so I need to brush it several times.
Speaker 3: Your hair looks fine. I don't really understand. Really, way too critical of your own hair.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you've been sitting here all day telling me it looks like I brushed my hair with a helium balloon. Be So maybe that's why I'm a little down on myself.
Speaker 3: All right, I will watch my tone. Then that's all right. What's done is done. But can we talk about those shoes? Okay?
Speaker 1: Wow, you want to talk about my fat thighs too.
Speaker 3: Just hit all the problem areas now listen, I know my limits.
Speaker 2: A tropical storm Heleen has formed in the Caribbean. Forecasters say it could strengthen into a major hurricane while moving toward towarth See.
Speaker 3: Now, yes, it's your fall north toward the United States.
Speaker 2: So hurricane watchers are now up for parts of Cuba and the Cancun area. Stretch of the Florida coastline which includes Tampa Bay. They have not yet narrowed down where they think it's going to make landfall, but basically from Florida Panhandle to the Florida Keys on that west coast of Florida is all on alert.
Speaker 1: We continue to near full fledged war in the Middle East and Israeli airstrike on Bay Route today killed a senior Hesbela commander. Cross border rocket attacks by both sides continue. The guy who died Ibraham Kwabaizi, commander of Hesbela's missiles and rocket force, a leading figure in the Iran backed group's rocket division looks like that.
Speaker 2: One family's working the full deck of cards. The son of the man suspected in the assassination attempt to former President Trump down in Florida, the Sun, has been arrested on charges of possessing child sexual abuse images. The FBI said that the guy was arrested this week. Authority searched his home in North Carolina in connection with an investigation unrelated to child exploitation. Investigators said they see it's multiple electronic devices and found hundreds of files of child sexual abuse. He's charged with possessing receiving child sexual abuse material.
Speaker 3: No attorney listed.
Speaker 2: He is not making any comments obviously, because well he's a dirt bag to begin with.
Speaker 3: Last week.
Speaker 5: Last week it was Gary with getting the colors of the spectrum wrong, and this week at you, it's all about personal responsibility. And there may be eight women there that don't have a brush, but you're the one that should have brought the brush, okay, to comb your own hair.
Speaker 3: You weren't blaming it on other people. I just thought it responsibility.
Speaker 5: You have no one to blame but yourself.
Speaker 2: And I was talking about primary colors of light, which are red and green at look.
Speaker 1: I just thought it was funny that none of us have a brush. It was more of a comical thing, like or maybe brushes are just people don't bring brushes anymore? Am I aging myself? Is this something that we did in the eighties and nineties and now we don't brush our hair?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Maybe are we taking back our hair?
Speaker 2: I had a good stretch of maybe three or four weeks there in junior high where or I took a comb to school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was funny when I asked Robin, I had forgotten a brush before, again lacking any sort of personal responsibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's you.
Speaker 1: And I asked Robin if she had a brush our boss and she's like, no, but you ask Don Donal'll have one her husband down the hall at the sports station.
Speaker 3: Totally accurate. By the way, Don would totally have a brush. If you have not seen this TikTok, this might where did it go? Oh? There it is? This may sound from me, it's very demure, very mindful. It's just a woman exhaling. And this TikTok video is a still image.
Speaker 2: Of the baby ale at target somewhere, baby formula, baby wipes baby this baby that but stuck in the middle of one of those shelves is a purse, a silver clutch handbag. It's just, I mean, it's not crazy, it's not something you know, it's nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: It's a twenty dollars clutch.
Speaker 2: But when Denisha Gonzalez saw this on the target shelf, she thought it meant something more important or bigger.
Speaker 3: Perhaps.
Speaker 2: She said, this was a mom who was going to get this clutch but decided she wanted to buy something for the baby instead, so she just kind of ditched the clutch in the baby aisle.
Speaker 1: She said, I found myself several times wishing I could get something but couldn't. I've gone through seasons of lack where we could only afford just the essential things.
Speaker 3: So she posts that video.
Speaker 1: With the text she Deserved the Purse, hoping it would resonate with other mothers. The video has gone viral, more than twenty million views. It's inspiring people to hide money in diaper boxes and formula containers to allow a mom who is struggling to buy something for herself like gift cards. Right The hashtag she Deserved the Purse challenge took off last week, and another mom bought a one hundred dollars Target gift card. On the back of the receipt, she wrote, Hey, you deserve that special you thing. You are amazing and slipped it in a package of Huggies diapers.
Speaker 2: So now they're well over one hundred and fifty other TikTok videos of moms, a bunch of them crying, sitting in their cars, talking about experiences of going into score, going into stories so that they could pay it forward to other moms. Katie Beach, stay at home mother of two year old and a two month old, said that the videos affected her deeply. She shared them with her group chat of other mom content creators. I can't believe that's a statement. I'd encourage them to give back.
Speaker 1: Last talking about mom talk, You're going to learn all about mom talk tomorrow and what you watch on Wednesday.
Speaker 3: I know you can't wait.
Speaker 2: Last Friday, she went to a Maryland Target, bought four fifty dollars gift cards, went to customer service desk, borrowed tape, stuck those gift cards, the receipt and notes onto different formula containers.
Speaker 1: That's nice. You should do this this afternoon. Give back to the moms in your community?
Speaker 3: What does this what have to do with me? Do you not live in a community that is held up by how dare you? Do you not live? I see you know your judo? Well something I should do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a man, start the man. She deserved the purse movement?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, that would be lovely, very convincing.
Speaker 4: Pain.
Speaker 3: How do you handle pain? I don't know what depends where it is? Like testicular pain? Remember when I learned about that? That that's a thing? Yeah? How old were you? What you say?
Speaker 1: It was during the pandemic when men were reporting testicular pain due to the vaccines or the COVID?
Speaker 3: I don't remember which one.
Speaker 2: Isn't every part of your body susceptible to some amount of pain at some point?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean things have just begun hurting for no reason on my body age thing? Is that what you're saying? I think so.
Speaker 2: There have been studies that show that women suffer pain at noticeably higher rates than men, many suggesting it has to do with different hormone levels.
Speaker 1: Did you drill down to the stats to find out if these are women who have gone for childbirth? Because I have a feeling that once you've gone through childbirth, you can handle pain better than someone who has not.
Speaker 2: I have heard from women since I have not also I have not given birth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're in the same boat there.
Speaker 2: I have heard from women who say, you could shoot me in the in the thigh and it would be more pleasing than child.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, child. Oh man, Oh, that is correct.
Speaker 2: They say that testosterone, obviously higher in men, does inhibit pain by determining how the body recognizes and transmits aches and discomfort and other chronic pain, et cetera. But it's it's more than just biology. They talk about stress having an impact on whether you tolerate pain. Childhood trauma, depression, anxiety, all of those can exacerbate pain.
Speaker 3: But there's a couple of different things.
Speaker 2: Women have stated that enduring childbirth simply makes them more tolerant to pain, but the opposite may be the case. Hormones do play a crucial role when it comes to giving birth. More endorphins, more adrenaline, more oxytocin is released that are believed to make women less sensitive to pain before they return to normal levels after you give birth. And they say that prolactin, for example, hormone in women that produces breast milk does increase sensory receptors in the body that process pain. But they also talked about the functional sex differences in the nerve cells that produce pain. The nosusceptors activated when someone is injured. It triggers that reaction to get your hand off the hot stove or something like that, or experiencing a sting from a jellyfish. The study does not show that pain is worse in men or women, but rather that the no susceptors in men and women act differently. The more nerve receptors and hormonal levels or at play. Research has shown that pain is multifactorial. According to Miami Diane Diane Hoffman, the director of the University of Maryland Law School's Law and health Care Program, you can't just look at biological and physiological you have to look at the combination with social cultural.
Speaker 3: Impacts as well.
Speaker 2: And they talked about developing a medication specifically geared towards treating women and men separately, treating pain specifically potentially better in men or women, And that's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 3: Why don't I stab you with this? What is that? And I'll stab myself and we'll see who feels more pain with a just an open paper clip. You want to just see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, where should I get us go first?
Speaker 2: No, let's see how much it hurts you pick a spot on the body.
Speaker 1: And then I also think that pain is so arbitrary, like when you're in the hospital or somebody is in the hospital and they have to say, on a scale of one to ten, how bad is your pain? I mean, one person six is another person's three, right, So.
Speaker 3: It's always odd to me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess that's the only way to gauge it is to have him pick.
Speaker 3: Out a number.
Speaker 1: But I mean, and how my dad loved his painkillers, so if he was in the hospital, they'd be like, how about your pain?
Speaker 3: He's like nine? Like really? Really? Is it a nine point five?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: Keep pushing back like that?
Speaker 2: And I wonder how much of it has to do with chronic If someone suffers from chronic pain, do they get used to it?
Speaker 3: Is that a thing?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: Is it something that you learned to live with? Other people don't?
Speaker 2: Other people get chronic pain and that's the end of anything that's comfortable for them. So trending Stories, Tasty Tuesday, True Crime Tuesday, we have a lot to go.
Speaker 1: I've been watching that Menendez the Ryan Murphy treatment of the Menendez brothers story, and I know people are it's controversial because he does take some liberties, liberties with his creative writing and the creative storytelling and creative plot twisting. But it is still a fun watch. I mean, you know, as fun as a true crime watch can be. It's pretty fun. But the therapist is like the the part that's really sticking out for a lot of people, and the just the malpractice, the major role he played in the trial.
Speaker 3: So we'll talk about that coming up at True Crime Tuesday. Brannon, what about the two naked guys in the shower? Did you see that scene? Yes with the penis. Yes, there is a penis that has shown one. Yes, they just swell so far.
Speaker 1: You just see the one penis and they show it from the side and then they show it from the front.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a little bit much. I did too. Yeah, yeah, it's like, let's be a little bit like it. Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: I was offended a little bit at the fact that I saw, you know, a thing.
Speaker 3: It was large it was considerable. Sorry I didn't need to enter with that, but you are lucky. The boss is on vacation. That's all I'm going to say. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app