Speaker 1: With election time approaching, political ads will be inserted into the episode, along with other ads that frankly I'm not going to like and you aren't going to like, so please ignore them, skip by them, whatever you have to do. I don't enduse any of the ads that are inserted, but it is another way for me to generate income, so I appreciate you guys putting up with them. If you don't want to deal with them, go to the Pekinyonas show dot com. You can subscribe to your Patreon. You can subscribe through substack, which is my preferred one because with both of those you get an RSS feed. Only Patreon and only substack give you an RSS feed. There's also all links to my website, gum road and subscribe star where you will get the audio files so that you can download and listen to or you can stream in most cases through those locations as well. So if you want to avoid the ads, consider supporting the show. If not, just know none of these ads get any endorsement from me. Skip by them, do what you need to do. I appreciate all of you. Head on over to the Pekanyonashow dot com. You can get the show early and ad free over there. If not, here's a show. Want to welcome everyone back to our reading of on Resistance to Evil by four by Ivan Eileen doctor Johnson. Are you doing today?
Speaker 2: You know when I got during my divorce hearings because I took them. I didn't take them seriously. I didn't even have a lawyer. This was not in front of a judge. But my ex wife's lawyer asked me, big mistake on her part. How I would like to be addressed, and I said, well, please refer to the list of titles that the present dictator of North Korea has. They're like two hundred of them, and pick one. She said, well, I'm he said, my favorite, my personal favorite, Ruler of Dominica. She said, okay, And so wasn't the final decree, but the early paperwork, says Matthew R. Johnson, aka Ruler of Dominica. My divorce papers, early early divorce paper. That's how seriously I took it.
Speaker 1: Did she get divorced during COVID?
Speaker 2: Me? No, No, twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, okay, it was a long time ago I got I got divorced during COVID and there was like no nothing. It was all paperwork, no meeting, no nothing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we met. And this was not in front of a judge. I wouldn't I'm not stupid. I wouldn't say that in front of a judge. But it was in front of one of these. In Pennsylvania, we have these masters, divorce masters, where the hell they're called. And I got a smile from her. So and the paperwork says, AKA ruler of Dominica. I'm telling you. Oh. And also there's a law in Nebraska that says that whale hunting is not permitted. And since there are no whales within a huge you know, one thousand miles from Nebraska, I'm assuming it refers to fat girls. I'm not one hundred percent sure. See how weird the state is. I'm telling you it's the weirdest state on the planet, especially Lincoln.
Speaker 1: I think it's episode sixty one of Two Hundred Years Together, where at the beginning doctor Johnson goes over his experiences in Nebraska. People want to go check for that. I'm not sure it's it's definitely in the sixties.
Speaker 2: So yes, it's I miss it sometimes I do. But it was the weirdest place. I was there for five years. The weirdest place I've ever lived. And even I mean, every state has these weird loss but Nebraska has the weirdest. And just you know, almost every day I saw something bizarre coming up or down the street. So uh yeah, yeah, I could go on and on for hours about.
Speaker 1: The alrighty, let's go on with the with the text. Yeah. Chapter sixteen, on the Modifications of Love. The beginning of the spiritual life modifies the internal structure of love in the form it takes. Usually or often only one of its varieties is called love, and the last spiritual one at that the lower form of love is structured according to the formula one is good because one is attractive, and is sometimes reduced to instinctive enjoyment of another's presence or sometimes exhausted by pity for another's physical and mental suffering. In contrast, the spiritual principle limiting the senseless outpouring of sensitivity and pointing out to love its true worthy object constantly trains it to not idealize what one pleases it is good because it is attractive, but to delighten what is perfect. It is attractive because it is good. Furthermore, it imparts to love the inner flexibility and the diversity of outward expressions essential to spirit for a spiritual life.
Speaker 2: Those two phrases are extremely important, and it almost marks the difference, uh just and thos you know a few words between medieval and modern or or medieval and utilitarianism. You know, what he's really talking about here is errors to be attracted to something the least of all, the lowest of all the levels of love. So and it takes the form either of just you know, lusting after somebody, or this endless pity for the world suffering, or something like that. And so this is how he's introducing all the limitations of the concept of love and the forms that it takes, because it has to be limited because we're human beings and we have very limited capacities for this.
Speaker 1: In a spiritually undeveloped and helpless person, love begins where they like something or where they enjoy something. It flows on the plane of a soulless connection and strives for maximum inner and outer pleasure. The soulless love is most often diverted from will and reason and turn into imagination and sensation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is based on fantasy. You know. This is how demons get to us. They create an image for us. They can't create, but they can invent images. And the fantasy we may have, the fantasy never even if we get what we want, it's never, it never comes true. But he has love here in quotes. He has quotes in the original, and it is a soulless connection. This is how Americans seem to function these days. It's it's not it's not to say it doesn't have a place, but it is still the lowest place you know, and diverted from will and reason to the lower levels of imagination and sensation. And we all know how the regime can use imagination to make money, especially from men. And so he's still talking about the lower forms of love, which again it's it's it's a it's a necessity, but it has to know its place, just like passion. It's a necessity, but it has to be controlled by reason.
Speaker 1: On the contrary, spiritual love has the power to turn away from the pleasance. It has the power to establish itself at the level of a persistent rejection. It is capable of taking the form of a difficult and joyless service. The only constant function of spiritual love is benevolence. This means that it always and since yearly wishes for everyone, not pleasure, not enjoyment, not success, not happiness, and not even the absence of suffering, but spiritual perfection, even when it can only be acquired at the cost of suffering and happy and unhappiness.
Speaker 2: If that's truly your goal, and that's truly the goal you have for people, then it is a loving benevolence. It is a spiritual love. People may not like you because of it. They may not understand why you're rejecting rejecting certain things because it's harmful pensior in raising the children, for example, just realizing how irrational people can be, and how powerful the passions are and who controls the passion this imagination when he's talking about so spiritual love, however, comes from a certain level of suffering, and if that's your true goal, then yeah, the path to that goal is often extremely difficult, and the person in the middle of it, you know, main not understand. I may not like you as a result.
Speaker 1: The next function of spiritual love, the experiential and intuitive perception of another's personality brought in its fullness to the point of artistic identification is far from always realized. At the lower levels of spiritual self education, it is realized primarily in relation to ideal perfect human models, saints and heroes. At the middle levels it can only be in relation to God, meditation and solitude, and at the highest levels only in God and through God, and among people only in relation to those who themselves ask for help.
Speaker 2: I think this is a specifically orthodox point of view, where man can be the greatest saints can be defined, so to speak. And again, there's nothing wrong with having your favorite saints. I certainly do trying to approach the logos through meditation and solentnsuit absolutely, which is always a struggle. You're always being diverted, You're always being distracted, and I'm certainly no teacher of that. I need a distance myself, though I've been asked. But if someone knows what they want, and if they want the right things, you know, you'll understand that it's not going to be easy. Any a master of anything, I don't care if it's a musical instrument or anything at a very high level is not going to be easy. Greatness never comes through indulgence, and love certainly doesn't refer to indulgence.
Speaker 1: Love at this level always wishes well, but does not always identify, and when identified, he does not always accept, approve or pity. When he approves, it is not at all out of kindness, but when he pities another, it is not with the weak willed softening either of themselves or of the sufferer. Their love is for the perfection of the beloved, and this love for the perfection of the beloved always remains stronger than the fear of their possible suffering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost a definition of being weak willed, right, that you can't handle pain, so you just won't do it. And that goes for anything worthwhile. Anything worthwhile in the world comes through pain, a discomfort of some kind or another. But this, you know this, This you're using words like identifying, identification. You know this could have been written again the other day. This stood the test of time. Wishing well is almost like saying goodbye to somebody saying I wish you well, but I certainly don't accept what you're doing. And the approval, as he says here, is not just because oh, I love you so much, but because it's leading you to the right direction. And it's hard to do that you see, there's in raising children sometimes the abbot of of a of a of a monastery. There's a million situations like that where you have to bring people through the crucible, so they come out extraordinary people on the other end. And this is uh, you know. And so the week will don't want to do any of that. They want to give in to them, They want to cheat. They they you know, they want to take shortcuts. And that happens all the time. And and but you know, true love, and of course the final land, of course is God himself. You know, Saint Augustine would say that one end that never changes, because love placing your love on something on this earth, you could lose it tomorrow. So that's only a very conditional love. But even there, that's just one step to the proper worship and love of God, and bringing someone to that can be very difficult.
Speaker 1: Ordinary love comes to love the earthly composition of an individual person and knows nothing greater. Hence its results is essensual and sugary morality, which places above all else objectless affection and unprincipled kindness.
Speaker 2: No one in the universe has ever fallen, has ever lusted after, the concept of a woman. It's always a very specific one. The earthly composition. It's never it's never the form, no one. You know, the love for the form of a woman. Man has no relationship to the love for the erotic, love for just an individual. And this is all nominalism understands. And when it comes down to morality, you know, it's a very you know, I love everyone kind of thing object list affection, which of course is never real. And you know, kindness he says unprincipled kindness when he's ranked. Ultimately, it's about what you want, and so there are no principles there, because what you want is not a principle, it's a given.
Speaker 1: On the contrary, spiritual love knows that this higher reality end in the face of it, is able to control both its tenderness and its kindness. It knows that between the two fundamental commandments of Christ, love for God and love for one's neighbor, apparent conflicts are possible, in which service to God's work may require merciless severity toward man, while pity for man can be tantamount to the betrayal of God's work. Knowing this, it is also it also can navigate these parent conflicts, but its relationship with God always remains the standards which it's relationships with others are subordinated.
Speaker 2: You know, He's we have to deal with this quite often. We have to cut people off, We have to cut people out of our lives because they are not interested in what we do. They have no real conception of what love is. Many people are not capable of love very much like in my opinion, many people are not capable of being free. Love of God and love for one's neighbor. They should be one and the same. But because we're human and we live in a society and we meet many, many different people over the course of a day or a month, or you know, it's very hard to keep that as one thing. And pity could lead us astray, just like LUs can lead us astray.
Speaker 1: Therefore, there can be no circumstances under which it would be appropriate to betray God's work out of pity for another. But situations are always possible in which, out of love for God, one can and should restrain love from man and reduce it to the strictness of spiritual benevolence, so that the second commandment remains unbroken. For generally speaking, love is not at all reducible to animal pity, which weakens both the one who pities and the one who is pitied. A person who has distinguished the image of God within himself needs not a weak and sympathetic acceptance, but a sternly condemning rejection. This rejection, which stops and sobers him. Canon should have its true source and love for God in heaven and for the divine and the fallen and spiritually extinguished soul.
Speaker 2: This is an extremely powerful paragraph, and for those who are reading along, they should probably read it a few times. You know, we may go way back with somebody, old friends, whatever, But if they're doing the wrong thing, if they've become an evil pert, we can't go along with it. We can't even we can't even pretend to accept it. They have to be cut off. Now. Sometimes a sternly condemning rejection is just what they need. Says here. Maybe it stops and sobers him, and because you know they respect us, we go way back for example, does use an example, go way back? And maybe he's right, But all of that should have the true source and love for God in heaven, and, as he says, for the divine in the fallen spiritually extinguished soul. Again, it comes back to the question whether or not localists can be completely extinguished in an individual. Because of its total saturation in the regime's morality, it's conceivable. I suppose there's some people who simply can't be rehabilitated, and the last thing his friends, if he has any left, should do is accept it, even just to get along. Going along. To get along is evil, it's a terrible thing. But when someone in their respect says no, I don't like this and you're doing the wrong thing, it may be exactly what they need to hear, and if that doesn't work, you may have to simply cut them off.
Speaker 1: Thus is born and formulated that negative face of love which has always led and will continue to tempt shortsighted and sentimental people, judging everything by its outward appearance, and seeing neither sweet sympathy nor tender pity in the manifestations of such love, they begin to speak indignantly of hatred or malice, expressing horror and calling for an anti spiritual and cowardly compassion.
Speaker 2: Well, most people know I have a very very good selling book on anomalism, and it's specifically its condemnation by the Church fathers, and to some extent, this very concept can be found there. Nominalism leads someone to judge things by their outward appearance because there is nothing else. You know, anomalist rejects any universal truths. There are no such things. What's left someone's material presence, and that's about it anything. And it does take a tremendous amount of strength. It was is why, you know. I mean when I when I first read Plato's Republic when I was seventeen, I was actually no, I was eighteen. I'm sorry. It absolutely blew my mind. I never heard any argument for a form or the spiritual life at all. That's such a thing. As you know, there's no faith, it's logic. You know, faith is fine, but it has to be based on a logical foundation. And Plato was extremely important. Uh in new early Church fathers, they always use his language. Although you can't accept Plato one hundred percent, we all know that Plato went about as far as naked reason could go. But coming across that for the first time, I began to realize then and be in my career almost has been expanding on that idea consistently. When you reject nomalism. You realize there's a lot more than outward appearances, and people will not like you for this, people won't understand. And it was the first step for me personally and breaking out of this epistemological dependence on the system, the you know, the empirical locking an idea, you know, the positive idea, the we're all raised with. That's very hard to do. And reading Plato at such a young age, and he was you know, he's an excellent writer, so he was graspable by me and that that was my foundation, and it absolutely blew my mind that there was an actual logical argument for the spiritual life in his case was talking about the forms and the forms you know, later being collected into logos or the second person at the Trinity later on with someone like Saint Justin Martyr, Saint Justin Martyr. It was a full scale Platonist. Of course, he could reject certain aspects of play, don't course, you know he Plato didn't know the fullness of revelation. But the fullestor of revelation is too based on a logical foundation. That's what that's what apologetics is all about. But talking about this to your typical normy out there. It's either not going to understand you, or they're going to simply reject you. And they're going to and you'll be punished for it. The fact that you stay with it, and you stick with it, that's what love is.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, in reality, the spiritual formulation of love, so necessary for a man and so difficult to acquire, imparts to love a whole series of precious modifications, and in no way extinguishes or distorts its fundamental loving nature in saying no to some one. On this basis, man loves his real genuine object no less than his spiritual yes, and much more than in the typical nonspiritual approval. Moreover, love capable of taking on a spiritually negative face is always deeper, more intense, more faithfully devoted than the love which in a cowardly way turns away from evil in order to avoid seeing or even to compassionately accept yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Or simply denying it exists. You know, if you are truly convinced of God in logos and his truth, even if you're put in that sitsuing. The example I always use about being forced to work in the bar, et cetera. Et cetera. You will still say no every single day. That's almost the found that's almost a heroic no, because you know what the truth is. And these people are idiots. And when you're sober and I don't drink, but when you're sober and and you watch people who are drunk, you realize how stupid they look. And that goes for any fashion, not just not just an alcohol or drug goes or anything. So uh And and you can't have allies who will either just turn away from it or even pretend it's not real, because such a person will eventually come to accept it is true, and they will drag you down because of it.
Speaker 1: In order to understand this negative sort of love, it is necessary to keep in mind that spiritually objectified, informed love, while always remaining benevolent, desires nothing but the spiritual enlightenment and transformation for every person. It cannot love anything evil in man. Therefore, wherever it perceives evil in a person, not weakness, not error, and not a fall, not sinfulness, but self affirming anti spiritual malice, it finds itself forced to modify its individual attitude towards the person in accordance with the evil present in his soul, while always desiring his conversion and purification, and perhaps joyfully trembling at the mere thought of the possibility of such a transformation of an evil soul. A spiritually loving person necessarily experiences a whole series of modifications and all that and all the other functions of his life in sympathy, approval, assistance, creative acceptance, and the desire I are to identify with him, in the willingness to communicate, and finally, even in the ability to treat him with elementary pity.
Speaker 2: This is this is a dangerous thing. Let me break this down the most simple element. We see someone who we like, for we've liked for a long time, who is living an evil lifestyle. We attempt to talk him out of it. Well, sometimes that's like awakening a sleepwalker. You better be prepared for an extreme reaction. I mean, it's possible that they may be transformed, but not always. But then again, he's not talking about, you know, weakness, no error. He's talking about an anti spiritual malice, self conscious malads. You know, and you better you better be careful. You better know what you're doing. You can't just go to someone and start preaching to them I have, I have a long experience in this. You have to know how to approach them. You have to you have to know them to begin with. You know, on an individual level, you have to know how to talk about it, how to bring it up. And even then, the chances of you succeeding, especially today, are are on minimal, but that's still your obligation. You don't run away from it. Uh, if you actually, you know, love anything, that's that's part of our commission here on earth. But going off without fully knowing that you know you can you can't get yourself hurt doing this. Depending on what we're talking about here. You know it's a criminal drug dealer or something like this, you better watch what you say. But you know it's you know, it's still your obligation to maybe bring them out of this some way, and you know the chances of you doing it are probably extremely low, but you know, if you don't try, then then no one will and God knows what will happen as a result. Again, that's what love is, That's what true love is, and it's negative love. It's a rejection. But not doing anything or pretending it doesn't exist, is the opposite of love.
Speaker 1: Each of us must know this from our own experience. There are evil deeds to which we give neither sympathy nor approval. There are evil goals to which we cannot contribute, so that the mere idea that I was used to commit evil acts overwhelms the soul with mortal anguish. There are evil situations in life which the imagination finds repugnant to enter, and the will find and the will find unbearable. There are evil people from a simple conversation with whom the soul begins to groan as if wounded. There are villains towards whom the last flash of extinguished pity can only express itself in hastening their death sentence.
Speaker 2: Big image I have when I translated this was Tony Sopranos therapist. Initially, she thinks she can do she can do good by them. Later on in the in the series, she finds out, yeah, I was used to committee. Relax or at the very least her her colleagues, knowing who she was treating, explained to her that for that kind of mind, what you're doing is giving him uh ways to overcome the good in the future. They're just using you. Uh. You're you know, pointing out weaknesses. Well, that's great for them, not good for you. And I couldn't if you haven't seen the Sopranos, whether there's probably something wrong with you. But I couldn't help thinking of doctor Melphie, this whole, the whole, this whole paragraph, especially that phrase I was used to commit evil acts, because that's really the the the zenith of their relationship. When she realizes that's in fact true. You know, sociopaths use therapy. I'm not a big fan of therapy. I don't think it works, but sociopath use it uh to get someone on their side, to plead their case and to get someone sympathetic to them that will eventually accept what they do. But that's not the case here. She always maintained her distance and as any and as any therapist can do in therapy comes down to what comes down to comes down the logic. Your mind is confused. You know your your ends are wrong, and the means that you're even if you have good ends, the means that you're you can go about them are wrong. And you know, therapy is pretty much what it comes down to. There's kings like Kink and Hose and you're trying to un kink it. But for a criminal, that's good. You're making them a better criminal. And and yeah, I think doctor MELPe was just immediately rush into my mind when I saw this, because this is exactly a huge part of the plot of the Sopranos and their relationship.
Speaker 1: All these states and their fundamental essence and the element that saturates them, remain a modification of spirituality and love, and therefore they can and therefore they do not become evil states and do not lead to evil deeds. Only short sightedness and superficiality can characterize them as manifestations of evil and malice. However, within the limits of love accessible to man and possible moral perfection, and these states are of course incomplete and flawed. Only love for God can be absolutely whole and complete. Love for an absolutely whole and complete perfection such an attitude toward man.
Speaker 2: As such, I told a friend of mine that he was in pre list, which in Russian the Orthodox means that they're in a state of delusion. Preless is a Russian word for charm or charming, and it's it's not heresy, but it's you know, they think they think things that you simply aren't true. They believe themselves greater than they are. And he told me, if you were a friend, you would never you would never accuse me of prelest And I said, no, that's what friends are supposed to do. You know, that's exactly the obligation of a friend. It's to tell you when you're when you're going off the path. In fact, he was an old believer and he had just you know, so many converts to that. And I have a book out on the old believers. I respect them very much, and sometimes they go a little bonkers. And I started to get the impression that he was trying to find a church worthy of him. And that's when I said, Okay, there's something wrong here. And I told him then. And I haven't spoken to him since. I don't know if anyone else has said the same thing. But he's not the only guy I've come across who thinks that they come to the strictest true Orthodox Church on calendars, not because they want to seek the truth, but because or serve God properly, because it makes them appear extraordinary and of great principle. Trying to find a church worthy of them. Sometimes that could be hard to detect. And I've detected it a few times in my life. And when you see it, you got to mention it. And among other things. That's what prelest means in Russian. It's a state of mind that you shouldn't be in. And it could go as far as actually being, you know, having total delusions about things, but it doesn't have to go that far. But when he said friends, don't, you know, make those accusations, I said, that's exactly what friends do, if they give a damn about the person. That's exactly what friends do. What is wrong with you? And well that was the end of that.
Speaker 1: To love, a person taking an isolation from God would always be incorrect based on blindness and idealization. In love, for a person who reveals the true source of evil, the necessity of curtailment and completeness becomes self evident. Here there is a substantively just measure and necessary and subject actively irremovable boundary. Of course, this measure of love does not lend itself to precise quantitative determination, and the mental dissection of a semi evil person into beloved virtue or unloved vice remain unrealizable. It is precisely. For this reason, the complexity of an incompletely loved object requires a corresponding complexity in the structure of an incompletely loving act. It demands self control and adaptability from love.
Speaker 2: Of course, there's nothing purely evil that we come across on earth. There's always some good in something. You know. What's the word perversion mean, you know, and it's rooted. It means to turn away or inversion turns something completely upsigned down, something that already exists. It's good in and of itself, but you use it for evil reasons. And he says something like semi evil. I mean, there's there's a chance here. Maybe he's just going along, Maybe there's some good in him. Maybe he's he's starting to be upset by what he does. Uh, maybe you notice that he is, you know, getting upset by by what he does in the group that he's with or whatever. Ah, that's a person and if especially if you know him, that's a person you may approach. You have to want yourself again, I speak from experience, just to be very careful with this kind of thing. And usually you can just come you know, blaring, You can't come straight out with it. Sometimes depends on depending on circumstances. But you know, he says that there's this is very very fuzzy. There's no you know, clear boundaries here. It just comes from experience. You have to know he doesn't have a certain intuition about this stuff. And it's it's difficult, which is why when you go on this path, you're gonna lose a lot of friends, you know, whether you're converting to orthodoxy and in course and nationalism that it implies royalism. Uh, answer Jewish question, You're going to lose a lot of friends. But we do this because we love the truth, and God said I am the truth Truth wait in a life. Uh, And that's why we do it. There's no hate involved there whatsoever. But this is this is why we This is why we do it, and that's what love ultimately is. And we know we're going to suffer. It is not in our interests to do any of the things that we do. Uh, you know, interest in the sense is socially or or financially or professional. It's not nor interest to do what we do. But we come to a certain realization and now we have no choice. We couldn't possibly lie about it. I couldn't possibly go in front of a group of students and start talking about the Holocaust is the most evil thing that ever happened, you know, and I didn't. But you simply can't. You simply can't go along with them. So you know this this, and this gets very complicated over time. But when you approach, he's really talking about teaching somebody, and any relationship that might exist, could be friends, could be in a monastery, it could be in a university, doesn't matter. Approaching them is a dangerous game, and you have to be very, very very careful in what you say. And the better you know the person, maybe the better the chance you have. But the fact that he uses this semi evil concept, he's referring to somebody who has shown signs that they don't like where their life is going. And now you really have an obligation.
Speaker 1: All these modifications of love brought about by the encounter between genuine spirituality and genuine evil boiled down to the loving acceptance becoming impoverished in its functions, curtailed in its fullness, and as the object deteriorates increasingly, approaching a well wishing rejection, negative love gradually finds its fulfillment in the earthly removal of the rejected evil doer. But even during this removal and after its spiritual love does not turn into malice or become evil. Man is given the power to pray for the executed evil doer, and the church knows this prayer. It's usually Psalm twenty three. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took me a little while. There is a several prayers both in Russian and Greek for inmate. There are special prayers for inmates who were there unjustly. There's prayers for them who are there justly. But for executions usually it's it's Psalm twenty three. And now you know whether that's something that someone like that is gonna ever accept, You know, you never know. But as I've said before, yeah, the old medieval concept still works here. He says, negative love gradually finds his fulfillment in the earth removal of the rejected evil doer, someone who has declared war on society. It's like a cancer, and we are the chemotherapy. Or as you know, as many others example, many others have used a limb that's become saturated with gangreen. It has to be removed because if you don't remove it, it's gonna kill you. It's gonna take over your entire body, so you gotta chop it off. This is what capital punishment means to me. The way of course Americans do capital punishment is absurd since it's very rarely death penalty has ever rarely even for firstgree murder, rarely given, and when it is given, it takes what what's the average twenty five years before the before the execution. So you can't talk about whether or not this is deterrent or it's not a deterrent. I've known many people who reject the reject capital punishment, and they talk about that. I said, well, you don't. You don't talk about deterrent value if it's always for first three murder, let's say, or or childball station. It has passed that law in Florida a couple of other places. But it has to be every single person. Can't just be a handful of people. First green murder is usually life without parole, so you can talk about but if it was automatic first green murder, death penalty carried out in a relatively short span of time, yeah, after your appeal and all that stuff. Then we could talk about it's its value. But right now it's rarely used and the gang green has saturated so much of this country, as we will know. And but that's what But you know, that's also an act of love, getting rid of it for the sake of others, becoming the chemotherapy of a cantus element in society. That absolutely comes from love. Now there's others who might be on our side who will do that just because they you know, they love the the you know being being a you know, violence or whatever it is. That's not the person you're dealing with here. That is not that's not what we're talking about. It's done strictly for the love of God, a love of man, love of God, love of neighbor as being one and the same thing. And so Russia didn't have a death penalty for quite a while. It went back and forth on it, and that was unfortunate, esially near the end. But yes, ps I'm twenty three. Is that prayer that the church uses for the condemned, and usually at the act of execution, you know, just before it happens.
Speaker 1: In this objectively forced functional impoverishment and the gradual strengthening of the element of rejection within the bosom of acceptance. Spiritual love passes through a whole series of classical states spiritually necessary, objectively justified, and religiously true. These states expressed a gradual separation and removal of the one who loves from the one who loses the right to the fullness of love. They begin with the fullest possible love for a person and and with prayer for the executed criminal. These are in gradually increasing in grade, and see it start over again. These are in gradually increasing sequence disapproval, lack of sympathy, grief, reprimand condemnation, refusal to cooperate, protest, denunciation, demand, persistence, mental coercion, the infliction of mental suffering, severity, indignation, anger, refusing to communicate, boycott, physical coercion, disgust, disrespect, inability to understand their situation, suppression, ruthlessness, and execution.
Speaker 2: That that's you know, this is one of the more interesting passages. I think. I really hope to God I got this right. You know. Sometimes I use Google Translate, but you know, just a starting point, and it usually is pretty useless on stuff like this, so I have to use my own knowledge to go in and correct it. And this is something I had to go in and correct. This seems to be, you know, from the most basic you know, start off with with disapproval, show that you in of course grief, you know, you're very upset by this. And then this goes for individuals, This goes for you know, states, it goes for anything. Then you know, it goes to denunciation, which is a bunch of louder concepts, persistence of mental cores, and actually it is probably I shouldn't have a common there. Now you start getting into the affliction of mental suffering and the severity of the indignation. You know, not not because you enjoy causing pain. You're trying to get someone to see the light. And then if that's all that doesn't work, you go to discuss and disrespect because they don't understand their situation whatsoever. And then even after you do this on a ruthless level, maybe all you have left, if they're totally incapable of freedom or love and their you know, maybe executions, all you have left for an evil UH person in society. This isn't semi evil at this point. By the time you get to uh disrespect. Here you're starting to wonder maybe this person is incapable of loving whatsoever. This person is incapable of doing anything but being at war with society. And it's something that is absolutely you don't like it, but it's an absolute necessity if nothing else works. And he's been saying that from the very beginning, the confrontation of evil by force. Uh, it's only justified, as Saint Augustine said many times over, when all other aspects are all the other aspects fail. So if you get in by execution, it could be an excuse by the state, or can also simply be in our personal life, just cutting this person off, realizing that that logic doesn't mean anything, and you can't really talk to them anymore because they're they're they're just gone down this path. They're so deep into it. There's nothing you can do that would be that version of execution, because if you maintained any kind of if you maintain this any kind of connection with them, even that even at the level of disgust and disrespect, it might affect you. And we said also from the beginning here, you can't allow this stuff to affect you as a person. You know, you know, soldiers and warfare never come back the same way if they've true, if if they've been killed somebody. I don't know if I've said this before, but I think I have. My father used to you know, my father used to say, you're in the Marine corps in Korea. He said, you know, you could spot a phony war story when they just talk about it to just anybody, then you know it's not true. So but it gets to the point really where even on a social level, there's nothing more you can do than death. On the personal level, no matter what you say, it has to be. They have to be cut off by you, and that may affect you terribly. You may not be the same again even after that. That takes a lot to do that personally. I think all of us, I think everyone listening here has had to do that at least once in their life, including my people who very close to us. And I'm always very suspicious of someone who you know, my first thought when I'm in a conflict with someone individually is to is to what my first what I first? I usually write them, you know, here's my point of view, Please tell me yours, and if they refuse to answer, I'm suspicious. Now if they cut me off, then they don't. I don't think I have an answer that I am right about it, and they just don't want to be reminded of it. So yeah, I mean there is there is a possibility that there's people out there who are well in this case, I know that there are people who are incapable of love. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're evil and all they're doing, but but there are people who simply cannot think this way. They're incapable of looking to the heavens. They are they're they're animals where logic is just a way to get to their next passion, next next desire. That's all that logic is to them. And but if we know people like this, ultimately we have to cut them off. Depending on where we're from. You some of us have come to the church. You know, I converted in my twenties. So what do I do. I'm already you know, saturated with in evil society before then, I have to cut a lot of people off, and they haven't understand. So this is a very very heavy paragraph here. This works at the social level as well as in the individual level. But execution only when everything else has failed, and even then, you know, if you're a member of the firings. I was just listening to one of the members of the firing squad that killed Joe Chescu, and he was never quite the same again. He was never in combat before. But that didn't he was never the same again because you killed two people, and whether they deserved or not, it's not the point. He was not the same man again, and he did have nightmares and stuff like that. And so this kind of a life and you truly have principles and God is your ultimate end. You know, it's not going to be easy. You know, it's funny. We know the Gospels are true at least in part because Christ didn't offer us. Christ offers us what social rejection. We're probably gonna get killed, We're gonna be rejected by the world. You know what, if you're trying to start a religion, that's how you talk. It's could be miserable for you for a while. Yes, you have heaven if you if you stick to it. But Christ offered zero earthly goods by following him. What kind of religious cult leator does that. That's how you know the Gospels are true because no one would would actually advocate that unless he was truly from God, and that when people are so saturated in sin, you know, why did why? Why was Moses commanded just to slaughter entire groups of people? It was the same thing they had. They had been so saturated all the way down to everybody with evil that they simply couldn't exist anymore, same reason why God flooded the earth. Society had gotten that bad that their death was probably the best thing for them. And people don't like talking like that, people don't like even thinking about that stuff. But we have to and this list of things may not be the exact sequence for all of us, but that's basically what it is. And it's a lot of work, and it's a lot of pain, and but that's that's the life that that, you know, if we've choosed, if we choose this life, we have to expect this kind of thing, and we're never going to be the same again.
Speaker 1: All right, We should stop it there and complete the other half of the chapter on the next one. Jeez, my lord, heavy stuff, heavy stuff that a lot of people don't want to a lot of people don't want to consider it. Most people consider it, all right.
Speaker 2: It's it's a day to day struggle and everyone knows that. And yeah, you can't go to you can't go to a person and say, uh, you're gonna have a great life following this kind of thing, because you know they won't. I mean, it's the truth and only the truth, and that's what provokes love, true love, and that's what this chapter has been about so far.
Speaker 1: M all right, everyone go over to the shout outs, go over to the descriptions in the videos. Donates to doctor Johnson's work, and we will be back in a few days with to finish up this chapter. Doctor Johnson, thank you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it, my friend, thank you. Bye bye