Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 2: You can go and get your blood drawn and tested to see if you have heightened levels of lead.
Speaker 3: By the way, this could be a very easy test. They don't even need to draw blood. They just throw you into a swimming pool and if you have success lead, boy, you just sink.
Speaker 1: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Good morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody handle here and everybody else. On Monday, June thirtieth. I've always forget and I do this every single month. Every year is June thirty or thirty one, thirty thirty, okay, so tomorrow starts in July. Yeah, and this is the weekend of July fourth, which is kind of neat.
Speaker 1: I'm not working, but certainly Amy, you are right, or you off?
Speaker 4: I'm off?
Speaker 1: Oh good for you. Neil, you are working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will filly in the morning.
Speaker 1: Crew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on on the third and the fourth, because you're taking the third off as well.
Speaker 3: I am taking the third off, and Cono you're I don't have to ask you, of course you're working, yea please uh and and he fills in. By the way, when the cleaning crew is also gone and they take off on vacation. Will good morning, good morning, there you go, morning your sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: What does that say?
Speaker 4: Oh it's Jack Stack.
Speaker 1: It's an awesome restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Kansas City Barbecue.
Speaker 3: Oh go, I'll be just pick Kansas City Barbecue.
Speaker 1: Ironically, Yes, as reports to.
Speaker 3: North Carolina barbecue, which is sort of a vinegar vinegary barbecue, and Neil, Texas is sort of a sweet barbecue, right.
Speaker 2: M yeah, very the saucy, thicker sauce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of neat. And what's is a dry rub barbecue? That would be?
Speaker 3: Uh, that's the Southern states other than Texas, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying to think who goes straight for a dry rub? I mean yeah, I don't know. Actually, off the top of my head, you.
Speaker 5: Ever had the barbecue from the south, the yellow based I can't remember what the base?
Speaker 1: So called mustard isn't it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Mustard in it? But that's that's not the whole thing that makes it yellow.
Speaker 3: Oh. I made a pork roast yesterday on my big Green egg and I.
Speaker 2: Just roast it yourself.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, Yes, pork loin uh, it was a loin. Tender loin piece are great.
Speaker 2: They have those at Costco.
Speaker 1: Oh guess where I got mine? Of course, two packs. I think that's exactly it.
Speaker 3: They come in two packs and everyone actually is a two pack within a two pack?
Speaker 1: No it is, it's anyway.
Speaker 3: I use mustard on it, and it was, and then I put the the spice is very.
Speaker 2: Very strong, very and they're underrated, like people, don't you know? Who turned me onto them is Ray Lopez from the Cobalt Show. I was going, I just said, you know, on I'm bored with what I've been grilling. What are you doing? And he because he loves to grill, and he's like, I'm doing porkloin and I loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I love it. You know who turned me onto porkloin? My Rabbi Amy? Good morning, Hi Bill, and good morning?
Speaker 3: Oh and was? I asked her, so this weekend did you work at Sofi? She goes, yeah, the weekend? I go, no, I understand the weekend you worked at Sofi?
Speaker 1: I get it. You have to tell me again.
Speaker 3: So who was playing? She went, well, the weekend? I go wait a minute, this sounds like who's on first, right, and it was The Weekend a group. What kind of music do they player? He's a singer?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh?
Speaker 3: The Weekend is a singer, yes, yes, who doesn't play Monday through Friday.
Speaker 4: He did actually play last Wednesday and Thursday.
Speaker 3: And sold out, right, yeah, sixty to sixty people.
Speaker 4: He did the super Bowl a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: He is awesome, all right, So much for that. What else did I do yesterday?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I did that event that Lawyer's Philharmonic.
Speaker 4: Great girl, how was that?
Speaker 1: It was wonderful? I enjoy it so much. There is a Mike maguire who is a singer.
Speaker 3: He is he's a practicing attorney and he has won a Tony Award and it was he's that good of a singer. He opened it limits and won a Tony Award. When it opened up, he was a lead, and so I introduced him and I said, you know, we went through all the attorneys in southern California who won Tony's, and the first three couldn't make it. The next two just didn't want to show up. So we finally got to Mike McGuire. His voice is un believable.
Speaker 1: He is so good all right.
Speaker 2: See don't you take your daughters for their birthday?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: How they take my daughters?
Speaker 3: They didn't now, actually because I told them that Taylor Swift was going to show up and I admitted that they weren't.
Speaker 1: Now they did great. They really enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: It's a fun show. It's been a couple of times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a It is a fun show. Okay, let's do it, guys. We've got a lot going. Oh man, the Senate is voting. They have not yet voted. Have they done the big beautiful bill.
Speaker 4: No, they're going to start voting soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what well it's going to go, of course, because even even the Republicans who have a problem with it are going to fall in line. The only one that isn't well, Rama always votes to gin everything, against anything that spends money and tell us, tell us, I think of North Carolina. Oh said he's going to vote against it. And Trump said, real simple, I'm going to go after you. I'm going to primary you out. And he said, I quit.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to get re elected. You can primary me out all you want. I'm not running for re election.
Speaker 3: So that seems to me the only way to if you're a Republican to go against Trump. So we'll see what happens today. I think he's going to get it. You know, there's no question.
Speaker 5: There's several there's several votes today they're voting on the amendments that they've passed. So it's of they're calling it a vote rama.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the end, he's going to get the majority of what he wants. There's just no question about it. It's just but you know, but presidents were able to do that, pull springs.
Speaker 1: You know what was able to pull that off was LBJ. LBJ twisted arms.
Speaker 3: That's how he got the Civil Rights Bill passed in nineteen sixty five.
Speaker 1: Now, he didn't threaten with.
Speaker 3: He didn't threaten with primarying out because he had been in Congress for so long. He basically threatened these senators was showing the public pictures of the goats that they were screwing and embarrassing the hell out of them. So different way of twisting arms. All right, guys, let's do it.
Speaker 1: It's time for handle on the news. Amy and Neil and me lead story.
Speaker 3: And it is exactly that the Senate, it just narrowly, narrowly advanced the voting I think by a couple of votes, and that was lawmakers voted fifty one to forty nine to open debate nine d and forty page megabill, which Chuck Schumer, who has the right to do that, said, I want the clerk to read every single word of a nine hundred and forty page document.
Speaker 1: Took fifteen hours. Weren't people throw with that one?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But the question is did all the senators have to be there?
Speaker 1: I don't. Didn't show you know, you didn't.
Speaker 3: The video did not show how many were there because usually whenever you see the speakers in front of the house, you know, at the lectern, or a senator at the front doing his statement, his or her statement, there's nobody there.
Speaker 1: It's for the camera. There are three people in the audience.
Speaker 2: That is the equivalent of your show for five days.
Speaker 3: That's correct, where I'm speaking all week. That's right, I'm speaking to the five of you. Yeah, that's our audience.
Speaker 4: Moving on, still hammering.
Speaker 5: Russia has launched its largest aerial attack against Ukraine. Five hundred and thirty seven aerial weapons were launched at Ukraine. Four hundred and seventy seven drones and decoys and sixty missiles. Ukraine's Air Force says that of those two hundred and forty nine were shot down, two hundred twenty six were lost. Apparently they can electronically jam them so they don't go off. The onslaught was what it calls the most massive air strike on Ukraine since the beginning of Russia's full scale invasion in February of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: It's not doing well now, Ukraine, and unfortunately for Ukraine, all of the.
Speaker 1: Attention has shifted over to Iran, and Ukraine's getting lost in the shuffle.
Speaker 3: And the president is not that close to Iran or a Zelenski, very close to Netanyahu and Israel.
Speaker 1: No surprise there, all right.
Speaker 2: Republican Senator Tom Tillis, as we were talking about earlier of North Carolina and now Sunday, you can't fire me. I quit sort of. He's not seeking reelection next year, and this comes a day after he was is one of the only what two Republicans who voted against advancing President Donald Trump's sweeping, big, beautiful, hugely bigly agenda bill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seven o'clock, I'm gonna go through some of the provisions of the bill, but you don't vote against Donald Trump if.
Speaker 1: You're a Republicans. That simple.
Speaker 3: If you do, first of all, you are a trader to the Constitution, which, by the way, I'm not kidding either. Donald Trump is the cost Constitution and he will tell you that. And as soon as Tillis voted no because of provision to Medicaid and I'll explain more about that. At seven o'clock, President said, I'm gonna you want to be re elected, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To primary you out if you vote against me, and you did, You're going to pay.
Speaker 3: And at that point Tillis said, I'm not running again. Now the realistically, he had a tough fight last time around. He almost lost the last time, so it's going to be one of the toughest Senate races. That seat is one of the most vulnerable in the country. So he's out and Trump's threat isn't a threat anymore.
Speaker 1: Just isn't all right?
Speaker 4: Moving on, no fences required.
Speaker 5: Plans are moving forward for Florida to open their Alligator Alcatraz in the Everglades. The facility is going to have temporary structures, heavy duty tents, trailers to house detained immigrants. The state says that by early July, it'll have five thousand immigration detention beds in operation. And they're calling it Alligator Alcatraz because it is in the middle of the Everglades. Everglades do they say they don't even need fences or anything because you know, there's alligators in the swamps around it.
Speaker 3: DeSantis said, outright, if you try to escape, you will be eaten straight out.
Speaker 2: It would be great if we could use it for like rapists, murderers and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's a little bit of controversy there, but isn't there always, and DeSantis being one of the most i would guess, the most vocal of the anti illegal immigration folks out there in terms of both governor and any elected official.
Speaker 2: The crazy ass story unfolding yesterday. Gunman ambushed and shot dead to firefighters. They were responding to a forest fire in northern Idaho and it you know, they believed that he actually the suspects started the fire and it was a total ambush. And then the cops come and they have exchanging gunfire. The guy is shooting with a long rifle, you know, sniper positioning, and they were under fire for quite some time. More than three hundred law enforcement officers from the city, county, state, federal levels responding to the scene. The guy, the suspect, was found dead right now. They don't know if it was through a police fire or if he took his own life.
Speaker 1: Either way, he's dead, but now killing two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and another one almost fighters.
Speaker 1: Fighting for his life.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a horrific story, it really.
Speaker 3: Is, and no one's it's so unusual that people are just shaking their heads. I mean, firefighters, it's you know, they don't carry weapons, they're not a threat, and yet here's what happens.
Speaker 4: I think we may soon see a lot of journalists in jail.
Speaker 5: President Trump says he's weighing his options and wants to force or may want afford journalists who published the leaked details of a US intelligence report that said that the strike against Iran wasn't as effective as he claimed. He said his administration may prosecute those reporters and sources if they don't comply, and then he also told Maria Bartiromo on Fox News yesterday that the Iranian.
Speaker 4: Facilities were successfully crippled.
Speaker 5: He says the attacks destroyed key enriched uranium stockpiles. Despite Iranian assertions that the military had moved the actually the material had been moved before the strikes.
Speaker 1: Hey, Amy, let me ask you, you're a newsperson.
Speaker 3: How successful do you think that threat is going to work amongst newspeople or are they going to simply say uh uh, that's no sources.
Speaker 1: That they're going to just they'll take a chance.
Speaker 3: There was a story I know back in the seventies with a reporter for the Herald Examiner who.
Speaker 1: Was asked to release the source as to some criminal event, and he said no.
Speaker 3: He was indicted by the grand jury and he and the judge held him in contempt and he spent eighteen months in jail because he wouldn't really reveal a source. And the only reason he got out is because the grand juries there what are they looking for? The time they were in session? It was an eighteen month session of the grand jury. And when then that disappeared, When that went away, then that indictment, that contempt citation went away.
Speaker 1: Eighteen months he spent in prison.
Speaker 4: Well how much longer does Trump have an office?
Speaker 1: Three and a half years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And I'm willing to bet that too. Reporters, sources are so SACRISANCT. So SACRISANCT that they're willing to go to prison.
Speaker 2: But what was that one about.
Speaker 3: I owe some sources to some criminal event. I don't remember specifically.
Speaker 2: Because they just remember him going to put criminality to it or what this. Yeah, so what.
Speaker 3: He's going to basically, of course it's going to make a criminal. You don't tell the sources we're going to prosecute you to put you in prison.
Speaker 5: It's like it's they would say it's national security, exactly, It's.
Speaker 2: Not national security.
Speaker 1: They are really really so.
Speaker 3: You think national security? For example, I don't think that a demonstration in Los Angeles is a rebellion against the government of the United States.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was a that was a vote of no confidence for Captain Hairdo and Bass. So you guys don't take care of any any and we don't. We don't take a rebellion. It's not whether they did it or not. It doesn't matter, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, you and I can agree to disagree or repeat to or whatever.
Speaker 2: I just think that forcing a journalist is a massive thing, and it would be for something that was really, you know, put us in danger as a nation that doesn't Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agreed.
Speaker 3: Does the whole concept of forcing journalists to reveal their sources that is sacricinct to the press.
Speaker 2: Agree.
Speaker 1: In the States and.
Speaker 5: The way the press is a lot today. I mean they'll use that as you know where it does a badge of honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: Jim Acosta in jail for forty two months, he'd love it.
Speaker 1: You're right, you probably would, all right.
Speaker 2: Billionaire investor Warren Buffett dished out six a billion with a bee in Berkshire Hathaway shares to five charities just on Saturday. This is the biggest annual donation nearly twenty years. And you know it's a dip in the bucket or dropping the bucket rather of his one hundred and fifty two billion estimating net worth. But you know he's he's pledged that he's going to donate his wealth.
Speaker 3: A couple things about Warren Buffett, very interesting guy. First of all, he is leaving all of his money to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. And the reason is why would he set up another foundation and all of the bureaucracy and have employees when the Gates are already doing that job.
Speaker 1: So he says here, you just take it all.
Speaker 3: And we talked about ninety nine point what nine to five percent of his wealth. I interviewed his son Peter a few years ago and I said, your dad's one of the wealthiest men in the world, so you're probably going to get some money.
Speaker 1: He goes, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: If we get a million dollars each, the siblings, we will be thrilled. Wow, because from day one Warren buff said, you want a bicycle, you go out and buy a bicycle.
Speaker 1: You work for it. A very interesting guy, to say the least.
Speaker 2: Thanks for an interesting Christmas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and no, they get Christmas presents like any other moderately successful business person would give children.
Speaker 4: Their children are Buffet's children all very successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they all do very well.
Speaker 4: No, that's because daddy's giving him everything.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: I mean they don't do, you know daddy well, but they all make a good living. I think Peter's a documentary filmmaker if I remember correctly, and he lives in the same house he's lived for forty years, fifty years.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a nice house.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a nice neighborhood and you know, maybe four or five thousand square feet but he doesn't live like a billionaire. He doesn't have five hundred million dollar yachts, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Before the clock runs out again, there may be a buyer for TikTok. President Trump said yesterday we have a buyer for TikTok. By the way, I think I'll need probably China approval, and I think President she will probably do it. He made the announcement yesterday, wouldn't say who it was, but said he'll tell us in about two weeks.
Speaker 4: He said, it's a group of very wealthy people, all right, and.
Speaker 3: That enables TikTok to still remain in the United States. Otherwise it would be gone. Remember when they took themselves offline and the outcry was unbelievable. So it came back, and now it's on his third go round, and I think they have to find one.
Speaker 1: Oh, here is a fun story deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this man talking about giving away wealth. One man's final wishes was to show his community, you know, love, and he wanted to do it with a cash drop from the sky. So on Friday, June twenty seventh, around one pm there in East Detroit, man's last request was fulfilled when a helicopter dropped thousands of dollars in cash onto pedestrians down below. And you know, from what I read, everybody got a little bit. There wasn't like pushing, screaming.
Speaker 1: And do you believe that?
Speaker 3: Do you believe cash coming down and no one is going to go for it and push.
Speaker 1: People out of the way. Beautiful there was, well, yeah, someone said it was really beautiful. Yeah. I don't know. I don't know if I believe that.
Speaker 2: Cynical on a Monday, this much cynicism.
Speaker 3: Huh Oh, I'm sorry. Oh yeah, because Tuesday through Thursday. I'm not cynical.
Speaker 2: I'm just a man, can hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Edison is fesced up to a flaw.
Speaker 5: They're saying that our lawyers are saying that both the Saddle Ridge fire in twenty nineteen and the Hearst fire were started because there is improper grounding that has been done by so Cal Edison, and that comes after so Cal Edison admitted that its equipment may have ignited the Hurst fire, which was the one that broke out near Silmar around the same time that the fires in Pacific Palisades and Altadena were burning. But they're saying lawyers are saying, Hey, the same problem started the fire in twenty nineteen called the saddle Ridge fire. For Edison is saying Nope, we didn't start that one. Yeah, admitted to the one this time.
Speaker 1: In the meantime. The Palisades fire is.
Speaker 3: I've seen that videotape of the fire igniting right there next to one of the power poles.
Speaker 4: The Palisades or the eating Palislaves. Was the fireworks they think?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: And that so was the eating fire eating was up and eaton canyon and it was.
Speaker 3: And the fire there's video of it starting just right there at the power line, the transmission line, you know, the power pole.
Speaker 1: Am I correct on that?
Speaker 3: Amy?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you. Whenever I ask Amy if I am correct, she has to say yes. It's in the contract. So I just want to point that out. Why don't we take.
Speaker 2: A break when you demand a gold star on your paperwork that it gets a little yes. So there is a notorious cyber criminal group called Scattered Spider, and they are incredible being aggressive. They use their efforts to extort or embarrass victims. Right well, they've shifted their attention to the aviation industry and apparently they've successfully breached the computer networks of multiple airlines like here in the United States and Canada this month. So the FBI is responding to the hacks. So far, it has an effected airline safety or anything, but major airlines across the United States are on alert because of this.
Speaker 3: And this is a lot of this is not only malware, but they extort people straight out. And these companies will never tell us how much they pay in ransom ever. Remember any there are stories about these first hospitals and little towns, municipalities are getting nailed. We got some idea of how much money they would pay to gain at their files back to be able to use their computer system again. Now, if you're talking major, major companies, all of a sudden, everybody is very quiet.
Speaker 4: Interesting is probably mega million?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Sinaloa is just diabolical. A Mexican drug cartel apparently hired a hacker to follow the movements of a senior FBI official in Mexico City. Gathered information from the city's camera system, was able to see calls made and received by the FBI official, was able to geo locate them, and the FBI official was investigating Cineloa cartel boss etl Choppo. The Justice Department inspector general said that did they kill him?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They killed them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the cartel. It's incredible how powerful the carteler. Well, first of all, they own Mexico, or they did, They owned the judges, the how many attorney generals were put into prison, They owned local mayors, and now they're well no surprise, wow. I mean there's Mexico for you and the cartels and the Mexican government blames us because we're the ones that are buying all these drugs.
Speaker 1: And they're right.
Speaker 3: Because where are the customers? And we're not saying no, All right, sorry about that.
Speaker 1: Moving on, all right.
Speaker 2: Canada says, hey, we can work this out. They'll rescind a digital service tax, a way of taxing online companies and all that. It's government said just yesterday in a bid to restart trade negotiations with we the people here in the United States.
Speaker 3: So tit for tat they're playing, remember, Canada says nope, and there start taxing, and Trump says, that's it, We're stopping all negotiations.
Speaker 1: Although the president has a point.
Speaker 3: Canada charges four hundred dollars four hundred percent duties on dairy products coming in from the United States to protect its own dairy industry. And when you talk about reciprocal taxes, I don't think that's particularly unfair. Now it's naive because you know, there's nothing even about taxes because there are some countries that produce things we desperately need and others that we sell to.
Speaker 1: But if everybody tax the same on everything, you have a free market. But you can't do that. You know, the world doesn't work that way.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, Lebron is back.
Speaker 5: Lebron James is going to be back with the Lakers for a twenty third season.
Speaker 4: He accepted a.
Speaker 5: Fifty two point six million dollar option to return to the team again. He gets to play another year with his son Bronnie, even though it's they're calling it a rebuilding year, but he's like, oh, we think we have a realistic chance of winning it all. And there was also there's some talk that he might be trying to hold out long enough so he can also say play with his second son, Bryce, who becomes eligible for next year's NBA Draft.
Speaker 1: Now, is Bryce could enough to play pro ball?
Speaker 4: Don't know?
Speaker 3: Okayly Bronnie is because Bronnie is playing pro ball.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm not a sports guy. What do I know?
Speaker 4: Someone will email me he's a good basketball player.
Speaker 1: Thank you, very very helpful.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. Editor in chief of American Vogue and A Win Tour is stepping down and seeking a replacement, So she told staffers on Thursday that she will exit the US edition's top role. She's not leaving Condy Nast or Vogue altogether, just kind of scaling back her duties. She'll remain on their global editorial as their global editorial director.
Speaker 3: That is, I do not understand what a big deal this is. You know how this became international news. I mean, I'm a fashion plate, you know.
Speaker 2: I I'm sorry, you know what you know what fashion means? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, going to Costco, you know, buying the knockoffs. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Matter of fact, I have to go to Costco in a couple of days. I have to buy some socks. But yeah, I just I just don't understand.
Speaker 1: What a big deal it is.
Speaker 3: I do, however, understand China's version of Starbucks.
Speaker 1: Amy, Let's finish it up with that.
Speaker 5: Starbucks may get a run for its money because Luck and Coffee is opening its first two locations today. Both of them are in New York City. Luck and Coffee, based out of China, has successful built a loyal fall by targeting gen Z coffee drinkers with TikTok worthy drinks at affordable prices about thirty percent cheaper than Starbucks.
Speaker 4: It was founded in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: Focuses on catering to young people with mostly takeout booths and cashless payments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to use mobile phones place orders. That's technology for young people, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: And marijuana is going to kill you with heart disease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's that too. That's a story we're going to do now.
Speaker 3: I now quite often and someone is all stores asked me, do you want to use your phone to pay for this?
Speaker 1: And I see my phone costs one thousand dollars? Why would I pay you with my phone? That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: No, it's a nap. Oh s ap on the phone. Oh you don't he with them the phone?
Speaker 1: Oh? I completely misunderstand how this stuff works. Why don't we take a break?
Speaker 2: Did you give people your whole wallet before the phone?
Speaker 3: I use a wallet, I mean I use a wallet, but I don't pay with my wallet.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point.
Speaker 3: No, but because I my wallet is on my phone, so I know I'm not going to use my phone to pay for the wallet because I know what a wallet app is, but my phone, They go, would you like to pay with your phone?
Speaker 1: And I know, okay.
Speaker 3: As enough explaining, do kf I AM sixty AS five and KOST HD two.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 3: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app