Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. This segment is brought to you by Rollertown Beer Works. That's the brewery up there in Salina, Texas that me and Ben are partners in. And we have so much going on. Man, think about NFL Championship Sunday. During those games, we have twelve dollars and fifty cent playoff pitchers, crushable beers, the Loggers and the Pilsners. We currently have nineteen fresh local beers on tap. And then Jazzy's Tacos on Sunday that's huge, and then Saturday is our big Burns Night celebration. Come on out Saturday and we got live music from Plunk. Murray Proper Baking Company is in the house as well as Mueller Wagu Beef and that's where we're celebrating this Scottish heritage. We have our Landlord back. It's our seventy shillings Scotch al It's a big favorite and it is awesome. So make plans to go see us this weekend both Saturday and Sunday. You'd be crazy not to go to Rollertown Beer Works in Solina, Texas. Now kt is halfway in the middle of explaining one of the greatest sketches in the history of Seaturday Night Live. It's the more cow Bell sketch with Will Ferrell. It's part of there's a whole hour documentary on this sketch that's airing on Peacock And where we just left off, they were talking about they do a rehearsal before they do the live show at night, and the rehearsal of the sketch had gone really poorly. Will Ferrell did not perform to his capability. Christopher Walking was way toned down, and it was a part of the studio where sketches usually go to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were very nervous about this. They leave that going okay, we're probably not getting this on. They what happens after the dress rehearsal. They go into Lauren's office. This would be nine o'clock Central time. Okay, snel starts at ten thirty. They go into Lauren's office, the big decision makers, and then basically they talk it over. They start moving around the sketches and then they start getting rid of sketches, and then the cast and riders all learn okay, this is how it's gonna go and a lot of people are broken hearted. It's quite a emotional roller coast. It was very high school play. Here's here's the casting chart. So they get on, in fact, they get on right after the monologue, so monologue commercial and then over there in the side of the stage called s ken Alley.
Speaker 3: Question, does that mean they think it's one of the best ones?
Speaker 2: Yes, because Lauren had this intuition that this is gonna be a little bit bigger. And who knows, maybe because Christopher Walkin is also in there with Lauren when they're picking sketches and the host has a little bit of say and he might have said, hey, baby, I'm gonna tone it up.
Speaker 1: You know, he might have done that. I don't mind walking Did they Yeah, you made him frank'snatra. Did they ever talk to Christopher walking on this?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: He hates this? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let what Yeah, he's because he's it's his legacy. Oh to so many people?
Speaker 1: You know what, have you guys ever seen him talk about him doing table reads?
Speaker 3: No? And okay, so.
Speaker 1: He won't when he gets a script, he won't read anybody else's part in the film. Yes, and he's gonna perform it the way he wants to perform it and make people adapt to him.
Speaker 3: Yes, where did I hear that recently? I can't remember. Yeah, I heard the exact same thing of something I was watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so I can totally see him thinking I'm going to do it different when it's my time to really do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he likes the idea of being weird and awkward, putting a spin on it and then people have to react to it.
Speaker 2: Yah, have in his own voice, which Will Ferrell wrote it for him. So this Bruce Dickinson guy who is the name, is the producer. Basically it's on the back of the CD and he, Bruce Dickinson, produced the reissue of it. So one of the great things about this documentary it's well, y'all need to go watch it. They have the Blue Oyster Cult guys on, they have the guys who produced the song on. The guy who made the decision to have a cow bell on the song is on. I mean, it gets very in depth and very good. But Bruce Dickinson is just a guy who on a remastering of it, produced that like years later. So when they first made it go to CD. Yeah, So all the actual producers like what the hell? And you know Will Farrel's like I just saw Bruce Dickinson was a funny name. Yeah, and that's all the thought that went into it. Now Here, you're gonna hear this couple lot of things, but you will hear the drummer of the Blue Oyster Cult when they're kind of talking about this too.
Speaker 4: I put my pants on just like the rest of the one leg at a time, except once my pants are on, I make gold Records. I was truly surprised Christopher walking found this new kind of intensity.
Speaker 3: He brought his perfect thing to it. Christopher Walkin for Air upped his game.
Speaker 5: He was almost doing an impersonation of Christopher Walkin.
Speaker 3: He was talking like no other human being. It actually sounds like Will has like pretty good time.
Speaker 4: First, could you come in here for a second?
Speaker 6: Plead?
Speaker 3: That was going to be a great track. Guys, what's the deal?
Speaker 7: Are you sure that was sounding okay? When I saw the skit, I said, how did they even hear the cowba?
Speaker 3: How do they even know it was there?
Speaker 2: And then to come up with this thing about should it be in there or should it not be in there? That's exactly what happened that we actually had that debate. Yes, and he and the producer or and that one of the producers are in there, like talking about the fight that they had about whether it should be in there. It's very good.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming I mean, i'd have to go back and listen, but I'm assuming the drummer played the cow bell while playing the kit.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. They don't really get into that as much. They just got into the decision to use it. Yeah, okay, and they're like they're all fighting over who gets credit for the decision too. It's it's a bunch of old guys.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's very funny.
Speaker 3: Is Donald Butt Dharma in there?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: But got the most memorable name of any guys. I don't think so. Guitars.
Speaker 2: So just kind of moving a little forward with the sketch now and how it's playing out on the air.
Speaker 3: I could have used a little more cow bell.
Speaker 4: As soon as he delivers that first line and that gets a huge line, I'm like, oh, they're in, They're in.
Speaker 3: Oh goodie, there's more coming. I was walking around backstage and I started hearing roars let's take it again and Geene. Yeah, really explore the studio space this time.
Speaker 4: You got it, Bruce, I mean really yeah.
Speaker 3: Will was playing Gene Frankel and his shirt was hiking up, clicked front, twerking, just sort of dry humping the air. I didn't do it like that in dress.
Speaker 5: I just looked at Will and he was sweating and his shirt was up here.
Speaker 7: And it's hard to be serious when you see that summit.
Speaker 2: It's different than most stomachs.
Speaker 3: You could see Walkins enjoying this. He's laughing in the background. It's wonderful that somebody caught that moment.
Speaker 2: So what they freeze frame on is Christopher Walkin is supposed to be in the recording studio, so he's in that other room and they freeze frame it and you see Christopher walking laughing.
Speaker 3: And it's very good.
Speaker 2: And then they get to the point too, because Jimmy Fallon kind of famously broke during this sketch in all sketches, but it is funny because Will Ferrell had everyone and Chris Parnell's the guy who famously never breaks him and Will Forte they never laughter and sketches and it almost happened to Parnell.
Speaker 3: Will was right on.
Speaker 6: Top of me and banging the cowbell in my face. I had the sense that he wanted to make me break. It was intense. You also have the instinct that this is only gonna work if I do not break. You know, it's got to be this intensity between us. Chris Parnell was a machine and would never break.
Speaker 5: They used to call Parnell the iceman because he was the guy you couldn't break.
Speaker 7: Well, so when you say you're lying, whatever you've got in that little body just you know, pushed me as hard as you can. I was like, okay, I really was like, don't Jean. I think he was startled.
Speaker 2: Okay, So little Chris Gatan does push it like Farrel almost falls over. Okay, And Chris Gatan is so small, good bear to the giant lumberjack Will Ferrell. And Will Ferrell got a smaller shirt too, went between dress and the actual thing.
Speaker 7: And I pushed him so hard and then yeah, his stomach came out.
Speaker 3: And then that's when Jimmy broke. I was out of my league. You know, I had one line.
Speaker 2: It was Jimmy's first year too, so he was new and those guys had all been there for a little bit.
Speaker 5: On line, and Will turns it and I have my line, and I looked into the eyes of a lunatic.
Speaker 4: And I'm laughing too, but I have the benefit of wearing a beard, so you can't quite tell that I'm breaking as hard as they.
Speaker 5: Are could be so selfish. Scene then flooded my line, and then I couldn't start laughing. I had to look away.
Speaker 4: I know that Jimmy would get flack for breaking all the time, but I loved it every single time, and it just it just showed how much funny he was happening in it.
Speaker 3: I wish I didn't laugh at it, but of course it became known.
Speaker 5: For the guy who laughs and sketches instead of the guy that plays the drums.
Speaker 2: So when you see Parnell too, there's a part where they show Parnell, he puts his head down like he smiles for a minute, like because they got him. And it's just this perfect amalgamation of everything. Because Walking like they didn't even know if Walking liked it or not. That's all things those guys like he might not even be into this. He might have just came out and screwed us in dress rehearsal, but he came out and did it a little more and then Will Ferrell ramped it up and this is the end. And I think Dana Dana Carvey was there because he was playing George H. W. Bush, because he was in the cold open with George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 2: The the only reason Carvey was there. And Nana Carvey is kind of talking about how you didn't need they'd already done enough, like you didn't have to do something wacky to end it like a lot of sketches ending a sketch of the most impossible part. And the way it ended is kind of cool because they have a big fight, a big blow up, and then they settle it.
Speaker 3: On this night, a catchphrase was poor guess what I got a fever? And the only prescription is Mark Capbell.
Speaker 5: That's it, you hope for one of these things. It's it's lightning in a bottle. I mean it does it rarely happens.
Speaker 3: Wall and Privy guy, I'm down by the river. We want go popop. You didn't want anything wacky at Deana cow Bell.
Speaker 4: It had feasted on every single metric a comedy and it's just it's full of joy.
Speaker 3: One two, three foot.
Speaker 2: And it just kind of ends when they zoom in on a Will Ferrel's face and he looks like a Uni bomber, and then they show it and then they show it end and everyone drops their stuff and takes off running, and like when you see it, just how it happens actually live. They go into a little where I'd having more clips, but they go into a little bit more about Okay, so we knew like it was good when it played, but we didn't know. And then when they started doing the best of DVDs, and these were huge and they were a blockbuster or whatever. I know, I have two of them, and they've put on VHS tapes too, But they had the best of Will Ferrell, and they talked about how it started getting handed around at colleges and then it's being played at college football stadiums before the game starts.
Speaker 1: It was a huge part of the old MAVs Kings playoffs, huge part the cow the cowbells.
Speaker 2: So it's just kind of talking about how over time it got bigger. It's so good. There's so many things I couldn't even tell you about. And they're all kind of rewatching it as it's happening too.
Speaker 3: It's just it's very beautiful. Where do we find this peacockock?
Speaker 2: And that's the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the peacock app man. Just get it tonight, Ben.
Speaker 1: It's they got like other hours of documentary of the the SNL stuff. Happy birthday, Kevin did a great job. He did a great.
Speaker 3: Job, all right.
Speaker 1: That's going to do it for us on KT's birthday. Make sure to reach out to him on social media and wish him a happy birthday. And don't ever forget that time he looked Christopher walking dead in his.
Speaker 2: Eye and he said, do your job, go home, enjoy your night, turn around, do it again.
Speaker 3: Die. That's life, It sure is, Kevin.
Speaker 1: All right, MAVs pregame for Abs Timberwolves next right here on the eagle.
Speaker 3: Here you going, well, I.
Speaker 4: Want to get my sack backed, dude.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Good night,