Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk. Like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers defeat the Oreoles in front of a sellout crowd six to four. Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eleven o'clock tonight at eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Jose Mota will join us. We'll take your phone calls. After a spectacular night here at Dodger Stadium. Fifty three thousand, two hundred and ninety came for the Babblehead, but they got a show tonight. Show Hey Otani a lead off home run to give the Dodgers an early one nothing lead. He is on pace to become baseball's first ever fifty to fifty player. Otani has fifty is on pace for fifty one home runs and fifty one stolen bases. He homers for the forty second time this season. He steals two more bases tonight. He has forty two on the year, and he rose to the occasion, he knew fifty three thousand plus we're here for the Otani decoy babohead. The energy of the stadium was permeating during batting practice. There was a lot of buzz at the stadium. It kind of felt like a playoff game. Was so much energy here. And you know, the lines outside of Dodgers Stadium all the way since five point thirty this morning. You wouldn't see those for a Game seven of a World Series, but for an Otani decoy babohead, you certainly did. I thought one of the cooler moments tonight was not only decoy being able to liver the first pitch baseball we heard Otani tel Jose Mota. It took him three weeks to train decoy to be able to do that, and he had the treats waiting for him behind home plate, no doubt about it. I thought that was a cool and special moment considering that was the theme of the night. And I thought even better than that was seeing the replay on sports net LA of where Otani's home run landed in the first inning, and that was into the glove of a young lady, a little girl with her dad bringing her baseball glove to the stadium and she was able to nab Otani's forty second home run, and the joy on her face and on her dad's face. I thought it was really special. I mean, that's what coming to a game is all about. It's not about trying to hoard bobbleheads. It's about coming to the game, enjoying the game and spending some great time with your And what can be better than spending the night at Dodgers Stadium in the pavilion. Otani hits a home run your way, You bring your glove with your dad and it falls into your glove with everybody reaching up for it. I mean, come on, it doesn't get better than that. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also tonight, Otani obviously putting on the show. But I thought tonight, in the baseball world and for the Dodgers big picture, it was significant that Walker Bueller could pitch the way he did tonight. Obviously, the defense wasn't great. Will Smith made a big error in the top of the second inning where he short hopped the ball that was in the dirt on strike three. Cedric Mullins is running the first base, and Will Smith seems like, hey, I don't have to throw to first base, and by the time he did, Mullins was safe. So that opened the door for a Ramon Orius two run double. And then there was some poor defense behind Bueller even more, which got the pitch count up to ninety pitches, where if he got some clean defense behind him, and if the play is made in the second inning on the strikeout of Mullins, then he probably completes five innings. So when Petros some money wake up tomorrow, they'll look at the box score online and be like, oh, you didn't pitch so good.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he pitched really well tonight, and he had a lot of life on his fastball, something that was happening in his previous start. And it feels like Bueller and Will Smith made the adjustment of not trying to live on the edges because the ball was going to the edges already with all the life he had on it. So to me, that's significant for two reasons. Obviously, we know how good Walker Buehler can be in the postseason. There is nobody outside of Kershaw that can perform in a big game the way Walker Buehler has performed in a big game, and if he's able to find himself even more in his next start. Man, the Dodgers are cooking with Walker Bueller, Jack Flaherty, Gavin Stone, Clayton Kershaw and maybe the return of Yamamoto or Glass now. Right now, Glass now isn't even throwing, so I guess we can't count on that as much as I thought we would. But as far as Bueller goes, this was significant tonight and he certainly earned another start, and he definitely is getting closer. Like you said after the Mariners game, let's head downstairs right now to the interview room to hear from Walker Buehler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, in general, I think pretty encouraging. Obviously my last start I kind of talked about feel more like myself, and tonight I think it was that but more and obviously kind of some weird plays in that game and that you know, it happens.
Speaker 2: But it is what it is, and.
Speaker 4: You know, make a better pitch balls on and play all that kind of shit. But no, I felt a lot better. I'm as encouraged as I've been since, you know, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Probably you used to add curveball or basketball.
Speaker 2: Cutter was like parents out of urbinal pastball covers, that potential way you had to feel for Really.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you if you look back in my career, that's kind of been what I do. I've I've obviously had times where I feel really good about the slider and and you know, at times like throwing decent change ups here and there, but really I throw four teams cutters and change ups and you know, kind of getting rid of the big slider and trying to make the cutter a little bigger to write, I think is a big thing for me. Obviously, they had seven lefties in there today, so I didn't have to do a ton of that. But yeah, all in all, I think kind of the the basics of pitching when my delivery is right, seem a lot easier. Throwing strikes, throwing first pitch strikes, throwing curveball for strike, thrown kurball under. I think all of it seems a little easier. I guess when when my body's in the right place. Now, you know, I think we keep talking about performing, and obviously the line isn't as good as I would like to be, but you know, I felt I feel very encouraged by by tonight, the.
Speaker 2: Two parent bad defense, the numbers of my little love from the progress.
Speaker 4: Feel you're mad, Yeah, I mean I think it the longer I've been here, the more we look at these kind of like underlying numbers stuff and all of that, and I think tonight was probably one of my better starts in a long time, from swinging strike percentage things like that, and so you kind of have to trust that and believe that you know it's all going to even out or whatever, but you know, it's one of the better offenses in baseball right now. And I felt like at least I had like a fighting chance to get everybody out. It wasn't kind of like I hope they get themselves out. I felt like I could get guys out. And you know, there's bits and pieces that didn't go perfectly like that, but for the most part, I felt pretty competitive.
Speaker 5: When you talked about feel aline yourself, is that with the mechanics, is just the way you're able to cat guys And I know what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Honestly, the biggest thing is if I just picked my leg up and throw a ball and not think about it like it needs to be a strike, and it hasn't been for a long time. And you know, in the bullpen last before the last start, it felt like that it didn't really play out that way, But tonight it was kind of in there, and I didn't have to cue it, if that makes sense. I didn't have to tell myself to do something to hope it worked out. I felt just a lot more like I picked up my leg and was able to kind of throw the ball over the plate at least.
Speaker 2: Love it, Love it, Walker Buehler, you were not lying when you said you were getting closer, and tonight even closer. This was a really good night for Walker Bueller. And like you said, you're going to look at the box score, you're gonna look at his pitching line and say, really, that was what you're talking about, And how encouraged you are after seeing that. Yes, because the defense in the first two innings ish wasn't that great and it could have been better for him to finish out the fifth inning. If last night's home played umpire Jansen Visconte would have called what was a swing on Anthony's santader and certainly would have changed the complex complexion of that fifth inning. So Walker Bueller a lot of life on his pitches tonight. Very encouraging for the Dodgers. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. And how about ta Oscar Hernandez. He had the biggest swing of the night, a go ahead three run home run in a four run third inning. So ti Oscar, who is so unselfish and so inclusive of other teammates coming up with the sunflower seeds when guys come back to the dugout after the home run. He got some sunflower seats tonight, So that was great to see as well. Let's go out to the phones. Rafa was at Dodgers Stadium tonight, Rafa, did you get a babblehead or even a gold babblehead tonight?
Speaker 5: You know what I did, me and my wife, we were both able to get a bibblehead. We shut up a little late, or we're both able.
Speaker 2: To get I love hearing that Dodgers. Dodgers took care of a lot of fans tonight. I think they they were ready to go and wanted to make everybody's experience a happy one.
Speaker 5: Oh one hundred percent. And you know what after yesterday is disappointing loss. I feel like the boys bounce back real good tonight. I wanted to give a shout out to O'tawni for hitting that leadoff home run. You know, everybody was still getting into the seats, but you know, me and my wife are not wearing nice seats on time, and see that home run live in person. It's just I try to tell people to recognize greatness when you see it. It's hard to appreciate greatness in the moment as well. And to see how Tawny do the things he's doing day in and day out. I mean, it's just it's just amazing to see, you know what I mean. I mean, he's on pace for what fifty one?
Speaker 6: Fifty one?
Speaker 7: Yeah, brought it up.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's pretty crazy to.
Speaker 2: Tell your grandkids that you were at a game that Otani hit a home run during the season, that he became the first player to go fifty to fifty because that's what he's on pace for. And like you said, we can't take greatness for granted. This is once in a lifetime stuff. Trust me. Now, you're not going to see this again for a long time exactly.
Speaker 5: And you know when people go to the games. You know, appreciate when he's at bat, and it's gonna be even crazier next year when we get to see him pitch on the mound. I want to also give a shout out to chaoscra for getting out home run to get us back in the game. I feel like, you know, the energy was kind of out of the stadium for a little bit. We're down for a little bit, butos hanging out through run shots, but it's put the fans back in it. I didn't have a question for you, DV. You know the way Walker was pitching. From what we saw, it looked like he had a lot more or stuff tonight, But I wanted to ask it from your perspective. You know, his leash a little bit longer. Do you think he'll make the playoff rotation potentially? How do you look tonight from your perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like he earned another start as far as the playoff rotation goes. If he continues to trend in this direction, Rafa, by the time you get to the playoffs, you would imagine that he is going to look more like himself than we have seen so far this season. So I would not count him out and it feels like he has he has found something and we'll see where it goes after this. The Orioles lineup was not the Mariners lineup. This was a really good hitting team and he was able to keep them in check.
Speaker 5: That's awesome to see. Last question for you, DV. Appreciate your time brother. When the rosters expand in a couple of days here do you see pa has being called up or Rushing being called up? What do you see with Za expashion come up?
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like the Dodgers are definitely considering Dalton Rushing at some point in the month of September. Maybe not the first day of September. That may be Andy Paz, Rafa, but I would not rule out Dalton Rushing being here in September as a power left handed bat if that's what the Dodgers decide, But certainly they are considering it, and I wouldn't rule it out.
Speaker 1: Ja.
Speaker 5: Thank you TV for sure your time brother.
Speaker 2: All right, Rafa, thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dalton Rushing last night hit two home runs at Oklahoma City, so he continues to earn his promotions through the Dodgers minor league system from Tulsa to Oklahoma City, where he's playing exclusively left field. That's not a coincidence. So definitely a name to keep in mind because the Dodgers certainly are not ruling out that possibility. Let's go out to Mike, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Mike, hope you enjoyed your experience at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, that was amazing, great environment. Luckily been two and oh since I've been at the stadium.
Speaker 2: So oh, you're the reason.
Speaker 7: Okay, Yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Don't know about that. It's it's always them. But I had two things I was wondering. When you think the Dodgers might lock up ta Oscar. I mean, he's been huge for them this year.
Speaker 2: I don't see them locking them up. Mike, he's going to test free agency because he's going to get to get the contract that he was looking for this past offseason. He's going to get paid a lot.
Speaker 9: I mean, the way he's played this year, I think, yeah, he's earned that, earned that opportunity. Do you think they'll be in I mean, obviously they're going to be in.
Speaker 10: On that.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, Mike, tai Oscar Hernandez and the Dodgers are better together than a part. But you just heard the last caller ask me about Dalton Rushing. He's still around and he may be next year's left fielder.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are going to supplement a lot of these high priced superstars with their homegrown players like Dalton Rushing. So you can't pay everybody one hundred and eighty two hundred million dollars when you got Freeman, Bets and Otani on the same team, plus Yamamoto and Tyler Glass. Now you can't do that. And Taioscar Hernandez has certainly earned whatever he gets this offseason, but you have to face the reality it may not be with the Dodgers.
Speaker 9: No, No, that's a good point. I guess you just got to try to enjoy him while he's still.
Speaker 2: Exactly when he's at that parade on Figaroa with those sunflower seeds he's thrown out to you, you better enjoy it because there's no guarantees.
Speaker 8: Yes, how about that?
Speaker 2: How would you like that, Mike, some sunflower seeds in your face during a parade on Figaroa?
Speaker 9: That'd be amazing. I'd be overjoyed. I'd you over enjoyed.
Speaker 2: I got well, you got more questions? You got more questions? All right, Mike, do you got Yeah?
Speaker 1: Just one more.
Speaker 9: I found an interesting the defense today with Munsey at third and Kiki at first. I was wondering why that wasn't switched. I don't know if anybody asked Dave Dave about me.
Speaker 2: You're talking to the guy I asked him yesterday. He kind of shot me down. He's like, gosh, you're so dumb, Dave. Why'd you ask me? That basically is what he said. But anyway, he told me that the reason why Keik was at first and Munsey stayed at third base with Freddie out for the second straight night is because this is a short term thing and Monsey is the Dodgers third baseman. He hasn't been over at first base in two years. They want Munsey to continue to get reps there. So if this was a long term situation, Monthsey would be playing first base. But since it is a short term situation, that's the reason why Kyk is at first. Okay, Alick questions, I agree, Mike, that's a valid question. That's why I asked it.
Speaker 9: No, no, great question. I'm sorry I missed that.
Speaker 2: I mean, all good.
Speaker 9: I'm paying a second ding what Mike, Mike.
Speaker 2: You're rambling now. No, Mike, you're rambling now. I feel like we should just end it right here. This was a good phone call.
Speaker 9: Okay, you're good.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're good. I'm good. You're good. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Orioles six to four on Otani Decoy Bobblehead Night. Let's go out to Palm Desert. Dave, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dave, Hey, how are you?
Speaker 11: My friend? Love your work ethic, love our team, and I love how every game feels like it's a must win because of our situation, but the team comes through.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to get your opinion on why do you think.
Speaker 11: The organization cuts off the bobblehead giveaways at forty thousand when they know it's going to be the hottest item of the year. They're lining up at eleven am and they know fifty three thousand people are going to be there, and usually when we go to the promo games, we buy the ticket that includes the giveaway, so we're guaranteed. But I just it makes me a little sad that some kid probably gets turned away because traffic, or they get there late, or I just wanted your thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Number one. As long as I've been coming to Dodger games, and I've been coming since the eighties, it's always been the first forty thousand fans, so that's all I've known, Dave, and I just feel like this was a little over the top as far as the fans getting here as early as they did for this babblehead. But the team, I feel like may have slipped in some extra babbleheads because it seemed like everybody got one and everybody left happy. I'm not sure if the Dodgers were playing Santa Claus somehow some way, but it feels like a lot of fans were able to leave here happy with a babblehead.
Speaker 11: Well that makes me happy to hear because we have the best team and what a great time to be a fan. And I can't wait for the series this weekend. It's gonna be crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's gonna be a great series. You're halfway there. Hope to see you in Arizona.
Speaker 11: You know that would be You're correct, I am halfway there. That would be wonderful to sneak out for a game. But there's nothing like our stadium.
Speaker 2: Nothing like it. Trust me, Chase Field does not hold a candle to Dodger Stadium. Thanks for the phone call, Dave, appreciate it. Speaking of those pesky snakes, the Arizona Diamondbacks were down in the eighth inning to the Mets, with Edwin Diaz on the mound look like he was trying to go for a six out save, holding on to a one run lead in the bottom of the eighth inning with two outs, but that's when the Diamondbacks loaded the bases four. Corbin Carol on.
Speaker 8: One, he has ready to pitch, swung on high fly ball, deep Bryfield.
Speaker 11: Carol thinks he.
Speaker 2: Got it on and he did get it all. Fran slam for Corbin Carol his second.
Speaker 5: Home run of the game, and the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 2: Have blown it open in the eighth inning and it is now Arizona eight. I'm a Mets five. Yeah, that took place in Phoenix, Arizona, not the Moon. Depending on that audio Wow. Arizona beats the Mets eight to five on a Corbin Carrol Grand Slam with two outs in the eighth inning off of mister Timmy Time himself, Edwin Diaz, So the Dodgers maintain a three game lead over Arizona, while the Cardinals beat the Padres in Saint Louis tonight four to three. The Dodgers have a four game lead now over the third place Padres. And oh, by the way, the Phillies lost earlier this afternoon, so the Dodgers have a full game lead with the best record in baseball. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll take more of your phone calls next and also we'll check in with Jose Mota after the Dodgers beat the Orioles six to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 12: You want to out another two to two pitch to taoscar Hernandez and Hernandez, that's.
Speaker 2: One hard Let build in deep, all right?
Speaker 12: Out of here, the Oscar Hernandez launches a go ahead home run half way up to the pavilion in left field. He's twenty eighth of the season and the Dodgers will take a five freely.
Speaker 2: That was the biggest swing of the night, as te Oscar Hernandez put the Dodgers ahead part of a four run third inning for the Dodgers. As they go on to beat the Orioles tonight six to four, they will look to win the series tomorrow night here at Dodgers Stadium with Bobby Miller on the mound, Michael Kopek got the save back to back nights for Copek. He came into the game last night down a run. The Dodgers were down three to two in the ninth inning and Dave Roberts still brought in his highest leverage reliever in that spot. Anthony Banda the winning pitcher tonight, and Corbyn Burns goes winless in the month of August. He is now twelve and seven. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free three team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers owned the dream by the Way to Ascar. Hernandez Is home run came with two outs in that third inning, and Hernandez now is hitting two ninety this season with runners in scoring position. That was his twenty eighth home run of the year. Let's take another phone call before we get to Jose Mota Bruce, who was at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Bruce, did you come away with a bobblehead?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: What a BDV?
Speaker 13: I did get a bobblehead.
Speaker 7: It wasn't golden, but I will share a shit with Mike get everything it was.
Speaker 13: It was a great game, and I'd like to point out I think Joe Davis mentioned it in the broadcast last night. Ryan Brazier, who's now gone back to back at the heart of the lineup, this high leverage middle reliever, best eer in baseball since we picked them up off the trash heap? Is that accurate? One four to fourt lower that night?
Speaker 2: You know, he wasn't so sharp before he went on the IL this year, but since he's come back, he has pitched one plus innings multiple times and still has not given up a run. And it's not just one or two outings, it's seven outings now in the month of August, and he has been outstanding, and.
Speaker 13: He's going after their top hitters. We're not he's not the bottom of the lineup guy. We're putting him in high leverage situations and back to back. I mean, it's just really, he passed the ball, passed to Tom the best he had to get out of it. He pitched back to back. Copex pitched back to back. Hopefully we get Hudson in there tomorrow and give those days, those guys a day off.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's about since that Hudson hasn't pitched in a while. The Dodgers are trying to give him a breather. He's been used a lot this season. So yeah, I think there's a good chance you see Daniel Hudson tomorrow night.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I was up in the reserve level. It was the very first time I ever saw no cars coming into the parking lot. When the game started, everyone was there to get a bubblehead.
Speaker 2: It was let's try to make things out for a playoff game. Oh, I'd love that Yeah, all right, Bruce, thanks for the phone call. Appreciated. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. We'll get back to your phone calls in a moment, but first.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose, what a night at Dodgers Stadium. Obviously, it took a lot of advanced planning to get into the stadium today, but Otani and Decoy both delivered.
Speaker 8: H totally worth a dave. I think every friend that's called in so far, and fans that we talked to throughout the you know, the whole event and show, which pretty much as Dodgers said and turned down to with Shoheotani and the Dodgers is very happy to see obviously the results. And I was talking that James Lonia and Nomar before the game on the you Know sportsws LA show and saying, you know what, I would not be surprised if Showy does something special today and I needed a polish up with my Japanese and there he goes again day if you get it done.
Speaker 2: He certainly has a flair for the dramatics, and you know, this whole season has been an outstanding display of how great O'tani is and it feels like Jose, he's really thriving in this competitive environment with the Dodgers.
Speaker 8: I was gonna say that because in times that I talked to show, Hey, you know multiple times throughout the week, Dave, I'm telling you right now, I had never seen that look. The only time, you know, let me go back, the only time I seen this type of intensity and that look and that drive that will's go out there and beat somebodies in WBC in Japan, and he was carrying the load of the entire country and he enjoyed it. He's thrived on it. But he's got some teammates that have been through this okay, and he knows it is not just upon him. I mean, tells Gernandez coming through today was so big and it was like one of those things that's showing everybody else enjoys. But I think since we're talking about showing, you ask him about that. He is making himself a better player and enjoying the moment and knowing that every single edge you can get on the competition, like stolen bases on guy like colubn Burds, He's going to go out there and take advantage of it because it's all about winning games on this group of guys. Obviously, it's very meaningful to him and to the whole team.
Speaker 2: What'd you make about the defense from both teams tonight early in this game? Obviously the Orioles had a defensive meltdown in the fifth inning which gave the Dodgers an extra run, But both sides were a little sloppy on the defensive part of the game tonight.
Speaker 8: It was Noebweman. The Dodgers throughout the season are not given enough credit on how good their defense is. But I think when you took a team like Baltimore, they're trying to gain an edge on anything that they can, and they took advantage of the defense and the little left there from Will Smith and then the Dodgers same thing. You got a number one guy in Colbyn Burrn. I'm dealing with a great stuff that he does have. Even though he did give up some hard hits today, but they came at a time when at least the direstag advantage of the poor defense play behind him. You gonna have games like this. It's a long season and a little bit. How about you throwb on your defense and make plays behind him. Days like this, David is, the main thing is take advantage of those little opportunities to come out, because certainly you know that they don't come out very often, especially if a guy's on throwing strikes and they're playing and you know, good defense, it's tough to score run. So do very good job putting the ball in play and pressuring a team like the Orioles.
Speaker 2: Tonight, Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers beat the Orioles six to four. I thought tonight the biggest positive Jose was Walker Buehler answering some questions tonight, and it feels like he understood his body after his last start, and he wasn't exaggerating. He is starting to get closer to his old self. What did you see tonight that encourages you and makes you believe that he can get back to close to where he was before his second surgery.
Speaker 8: One simple word, simplification. That's it to me. Dave four seamer cutter, curveball, and he threw that curveball underswings. He threw for strike to steal a strike, but he threw the ball with conviction and confidence, and that's something that we know he has. It's in there, man, I'm telling you it's in there.
Speaker 5: Night.
Speaker 8: Talk to Dave Roberts before the game. I'll talked to Max Monster before the game, and it seems like every single guy is pulling for this guy to be good again. And you know, they know how hard he works. Sometimes it could be, you know, his worst and everybody. One thing I really admire about tonight is the fact that he did not allow these uncontrollable items to get in the way of him going after and just executing pictures. And you know, he's had so many tests day. The bloopers, uh, the last leads defensively, the text wing not called it. He could have folded, and he didn't, because you want to see that from a guy that through the years has been a big time pitcher for you, big game pitcher, and I think today overall has been his biggest game in so many things that were tested against him, and his stuff with three pitches was good enough to go out there somebody all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose, thanks for checking in. We'll see you tomorrow night after the Dodgers hopefully get the same type of encouraging start from Bobby Miller.
Speaker 8: Bobby Ice time. Man, It's time, Yeah, it is, It's.
Speaker 2: Time for him to turn back in to Bobby. Ice appreciated, Jose, we'll talk to you tomorrow. Jose. Part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pep Bee and Ningez and the great Fernando Valnezuela. You know, Fernando pitch for the Orioles. Jim Palmer and Ben McDonald went into the Spanish radio booth to pay their respects to former Oriole Fernando Vealezuela. How about that little known fact right there, Fernando pitch for the Oh's eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Going back to Walker Buehler, there are certain tells about players that feed off of energy and have swagger before starts, and I really haven't seen that Walker Bueller's swag before starts so far this season. But today while I was in the clubhouse, Walker Bueller was chirping, talking trash and walking around the clubhouse with a lot of swagger that I haven't seen so far this season. And that was a tell to me that he was very confident that tonight was going to be a good night for him and all in all. Like I said, you might look at the box score and say, what are you talking about? But he did have a good night tonight considering the way the rest of his season has gone to this point, so he is trending in the right direction. Let's go out to the phones again, Rocky in La. You're on Dodger Talk. Hi, Rocky.
Speaker 7: Oh, David Material voice. Always enjoyed the show.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, rock though.
Speaker 7: Absolutely. You know, I did Dodgers fans since I was three year ago and I was turned fifty six last week, and I'm very concerned last year not as much this year is very disturbing. The volume of injuries on this team. And anyone who studied lociology or anyone, if they had a good professor, if they would know that that's uh, that plans too, something to do with conditioning and training. It's just way too many people on the same team at the same time. I don't know if there's a work and they have the most injuries, but they have to be toward the top of the MLB and injuries, and that's really disturbing because.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of pitching.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I understand that, but you know something, something seems to miss. That's what I'm saying, and what I.
Speaker 2: Calls is a topic of comversation around the entire industry, Rocky, and that's how pitchers are being trained all the way from high school all the way up to professional baseball. I think that's the conversation everybody's having. Not because somebody pulls a hamstring or you know, uh, you know has like Max Munsey a strained oblique. There's nothing a training staff can do to prevent that.
Speaker 7: That's that's an excellent point that you're making, and that's something that a lot of a lot of families, a lot of parents really need to take more into consideration because the like you're saying, and a lot of these kids are playing at a really high level, they're playing year round is not necessary. Anyone will tell you it is not necessary. So that you're playing year round and all this travel ball and is overdone. And that it's a great point that you're making. The playing, thank you at the level the playing. Yeah, it's an excellent plan. Thank you for playing that out. You're you're very correct on that.
Speaker 2: So I won round one against Rocky. I won round one.
Speaker 7: Okay, hey, hey, when you right.
Speaker 2: Hey, you brought up some good points to Rocky. Call back anytime. We'll dive deeper. This can be an hour two hour show on why there's been so many pitching injuries this season. But uh, the Dodger training staff, led by Thomas Albert, is one of the best in baseball. Hey, Rocky, have a great rest of your night. Love that you've been a Dodger fan your whole life. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 8: Okay, you too.
Speaker 7: God bless you, sir.
Speaker 2: Hey, God bless you too. Rocky. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Oriole six to four tonight. Let's go out to Oxnar. John. You're on overtime Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I was gonna stop at eleven o'clock, but hey, we're having too much fun out heard, but I stayed up all night to hear you. Hey, thank you. I was actually at the car Mats talks about Yes.
Speaker 10: You're talking about the picture snipe you are? Yeah, why I've remember when he pitched against Boston and once he hit the home run and extra innings.
Speaker 2: Twenty eighteen, the World Series twenty eighteen. Yes, he went toe to toe with Nathan Valdi eighteen inning game. Yes, and he can pitch.
Speaker 10: If he comes back to even eighty percent, we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 2: I agree with that, especially with the uncertainty of Tyler Glass Now, the mysterious elbow injury of Tyler Glass Now and went from elbow inflammation to him fighting to try to stay off the il to all of a sudden, him not throwing that well or that often. So we'll see where it goes with Tyler Glass Now. We do have good news when it comes to Yoshi Yamamoto. He made his first rehab start tonight for Oklahoma City. He went two innings through about thirty pitches. He did give up a solo home run, but a step in the right direction for Yoshi Yamamoto. And look, I'll make the argument that if just one of those two guys the Dodgers acquired during the off season, Glass Now or Yamamoto is healthy for the postseason, that's good enough to get through October. Just one of those guys, that's all I'm asking. Let's go out to Bruce who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Bruce, were you the lucky recipient of a gold Otani Decoy Bobblehead tonight, Bruce, were you that lucky tonight?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: I didn't get a gold one, all right, but you got.
Speaker 2: A regular one.
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, nice.
Speaker 2: I kind of like the regular one more than the gold plated.
Speaker 13: One, you know, I actually liked the regular one better. I prefer the one that's a little more realistic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Were you expecting decoy to deliver the first pitch? The way he did from the mountain was so cool? I mean, the perfect dog, right, Otani's the perfect player and the dog is perfect.
Speaker 3: I mean, come on, otd that that was my well that in his home run together made a perfect knife for show.
Speaker 2: Hey, it was It made a perfect knight for the fans that were here.
Speaker 9: I would have to agree.
Speaker 3: So what's up with the third base umpire tonight?
Speaker 2: Last night?
Speaker 3: His strike zone was indeterminable, you know, for one batter to the next, you just never knew whether that ball is going to be a strike or a ball. And then tonight that no swing call. Everybody in the ballpark dot he had swung apparently except for that umpire.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what was going on with Jansen Visconti, but it was a bad call and he had a bad ninth inning last night, that's for sure, Bruce. Thanks for the phone call. Glad you got your babblehead. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. And with the Orioles in town, it's always great to see Hall of Famer Jim Palmer being back at Dodger Stadium. Jim Palmer was twenty years old when he pitched here at Dodgers Stadium during the nineteen sixty six World Series, and we had a chance to catch up with the Hall of Fame right hander before today's game about coming back to Dodgers Stadium after all these years.
Speaker 6: You know, we came here in sixty six, you know, of course the Dodgers. I grew up in New York and I was a Yankee fan, so that almost every World Series seemed like it was, you know, the Dodgers and the Yankees. Yankees won most of them. The Dodgers did win a fifty five and Don Larson, who pitched a perfect game in fifty six was one of my teammates when I got to the big leagues in nineteen. So I was born in New York, adopted moved a Whittier when my dad passed away when I was nine and nineteen fifty five, and then we came to Beverly Hills in nineteen fifty six. So I used to go to I used to go to Coliseum and then I would when I moved to Arizona to go to high school. Dodgers actually wanted me to sign, but it was a year before the draft, and they said, listen, go to FC, and I went. I went to actually the backyard barbecue with Rod Dato and they said, you know, go.
Speaker 5: There for a year.
Speaker 6: We'll shine you the next year. And I said, while I have other teams interested, and they signed Jeff Torboord, who's a great guy, instead of me. And then you know that of course the Dodgers we played him in sixty six in the World Series. They had one in sixty three and they beat the Yanks sixty three. They beat the Twins in sixty five, so when we came out here, we were the underdogs. And you know the irony is because of the Jewish holidays. Sandy kofak So was what twenty seven and seven that year with a one night era. He didn't pitch game one, so I ended up you know, pitching Game two. Game one, Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson hit home runs in the first inning off Don Drysdale. But I'm twenty years old, and I'm thinking, you know, we really don't have much of a chance, you know, first time we'd ever been in the World Series. I said, well, maybe we do. And then Dave McNally started struggled. Mantrabowski came in and struck out eleven Dodgers in six and two thirds innings, one of the great performances in relief. And I'm sitting there at twenty, and you know, I was a basketball curveball pitcher. I tow real hard, but sometimes it went over, sometimes it didn't. And I'm going to pitch against Sandy Kovacs, and I go, I just don't want to embarrass myself. And as it turned out, it was nothing. Nothing. Going to the fifth inning, Willie Davis dropped the fly ball, dropped another one, and it wasn't particularly it was sunny, but it was you know, the you know, kind of the you know, June gloom, but it was in October. Picked up the second one through in the stands. We got some under and runs. You know, I think they made six errors in that game. We won six nothing, went to Baltimore one one nothing, one nothing, and walked out of Memorial Stadium in Baltimore, World Champs. It was I mean, it was so surreal that we could not only beat the Dodgers, but somehow win four in a row. And you know, they didn't have a great offense, and they were mostly about pitching. Get wills on. You know, Tommy Davis, who eventually played with us, was one of the great hitters, broke his ankle, so they didn't have a great offense, but they usually beat you because they didn't beat themselves. My game, they beat themselves. And then how often do you have won nothing ball games, you know, in the World Series. But we were able to do that. Wally Bunker who had been Rookie Pitch of the Year but it had some arm problems, and then Dave bing Ally came back from struggling in Game one nothing in your World Champs.
Speaker 2: Jim, I heard my whole life growing up in the San Fernando Valley about those eras by Willie Davis, who everybody was shocked that he had those airs. Could you feel the momentum change in the World Series with those plays.
Speaker 6: Well, it changed the score of the game. You know, we had one game, I think we won Game one five to two, and they scored I think they scored in the second or third inning and never scored another run. You know, but again it was a four game series as it turned out. Yeah, but you know, I mean Sandy I think through twenty three of the first twenty five pitches for strikes. I mean, even Sandy Cofek I hit against him, you know, I mean as a kid, I used to come to Dodger Stadium and watch him pitch, and you know, I saw him on television, I saw him in the World Series. But once again, I mean, you know, he throws it at your fastball and it starts in the lobby and ends up in a mezzanine. And then when you fail, oh well, you know, and I was pretty good hitter, I go, I better get a little bit quicker, and I use Frank Robinson as our one sixty one and I go, And now all of a sudden, the same pitch that you thought was a fastball would end up in the lower basement because it was a curveball. John Rosebury would catch her on the ground and That's why Cofax Waskpex.
Speaker 2: And there is the great Jim Palmer, who was part of the nineteen sixty six World champion Orioles who swept the Dodgers in the Fall Classic. Nineteen sixty six would be the final season Sandy Kofax pitched after an arthritic elbow forced him to retirement. Obviously, nowadays he would have kept pitching, but at that point in time, it was just too painful for Kofax to continue at thirty years old. How about this, the sixty six Orioles, they never trailed at any single point in time in that four game sweep against the Dodgers, only the second team in baseball history to never trail in a game and win the World Series. The other, the nineteen sixty three Dodgers, who were a special team themselves, were never trailing in that World Series, as they were able to sweep the Yankees in that Fall Classic. You know how many years the Dodgers and Yankees played each other in New York and Brooklyn, and the Dodgers moved to LA in nineteen fifty eight play the Yankees in sixty three, first time Dodgers Yankees coast to coast and the Dodgers sweep Mickey Mantle, Roger Marris and the Pinstripes in four games in that Fall Classic. So the sixty three Dodgers and the sixty six Orioles the only two teams to never trail in the World Series and win it. That'll do it for us. Tonight on Dodger Talk To, here are full conversation with the Hall of Famer Jim Palmer. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Tomorrow, the Dodgers will have Bobby Miller on the mound going up against South Paul kad Povich, who is just one in six this season with an ERA of six ' ten. Bobby Miller in his last start when six innings and certainly was encouraged by the way things worked out for him. He was more of a pitcher than a thrower. And you know, he admitted himself this season at times he was chasing velocity. We did not see that in Bobby's last start against the Mariners. So hopefully he could build upon it like Walker Buehler built upon his last start the way he pitched. Tonight. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. Hope you got homes, Hope you made it to Dodgers Stadium safe. And I know the Dodgers Otani, Tioscar Hernandez, they put on a show for you tonight as Otani Homer steals, two vases, score threes, scores three times. Tioscar Hernandez with the big, go ahead, three run home run in the third inning, and the Dodgers beat the Orioles six to four. Coming up next, Ben Malor on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow night. See U.