Speaker 1: Welcome to Spacing Out with BB and Jason, this week covering the twenty seventeen film Alien Covenant.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Spacing Out.
Speaker 3: I'm BB and I'm Jason, and we are discussing the Alien franchise. One movie at the time that the moment of this recording, Alien Covenant, is available to stream on Hulu. This podcast episode is being released on two different podcast feeds, so if you found it through these Spacing Out with Alien podcasts, then I invite you to check out our main channel, Spacing Out with Phoebe and Jason, where we've covered things like Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek Our Flag Means Death over one hundred episodes, and since we're wrapping up Alien here, we're going to be moving on to some other things. So this is the last Alien movie to date that we are covering. Our coverage of Alien Romulus is already out, so we won't be spoiling that movie in case you're watching for the series the first time, but any talk of Alien Romulus will be kept through as spoiler section at the end of the podcast. Although thinking about it right now, I don't really know if any reason to talk about Romulus.
Speaker 2: I can think of some.
Speaker 3: Okay, then maybe well we will have a spoiler section, but all the other films are fair game for us to discuss. And I also want to mention that the TV series Alien Earth is set to release sometime in the first half of twenty twenty five, so we will plan to cover that when it drops on FX slash Hulu.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: There's also a chance that we might pop in with an episode looking at the web series Alien Isolation. And there's also some short films that came out over the last few years that I don't know if we'll look at those, but I've heard good things about Isolation, so that might come up in the feed between now and then.
Speaker 2: Is that like on YouTube?
Speaker 3: I'm not one hundred percent sure where to find it. I'm sure it is if it's a web series. Yeah. So, Alien Covenant premiered on May fourth, twenty seventeen, written by John Logan and Dante Harper, story by Jack Paglan and Michael Green, and directed by Ridley Scott. In this movie in twenty one oh four, almost eleven years after the ill fated expedition in Prometheus, the Deep Space Colonization Vessel USCSS, Covenant is on course for the remote planet to for Guy six, Carrying over two thousand colonists in cryogenic hibernation, they seek to build a new world. Instead, a rogue transmission entices the crew to a nearby habitable planet that resembles Earth. But nothing can prepare the ambitious crew for another disaster and uncharted territory. As the peaceful exploratory operation turns into a frantic rescue mission. Biological foes beyond human comprehension threatened the future before it has even begun, and the depths of space terror reveals its hideous face.
Speaker 2: Wow, how poetic.
Speaker 1: Vibe check? Did we like the movie overall? How does it stend to Test of Time?
Speaker 2: I liked it. It was a slow, very slow start, and it was kind of boring and weird, and then the James Franco isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And like we just immediately laughed as soon as we saw Franco, but.
Speaker 3: Because he dies, and then they're like, oh that was James Franco.
Speaker 2: He was on fire. Oh okay, uh yeah, rocky start, interesting, middle good envy, so we're all good.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah. I like this one as well. I think it probably falls somewhere in the middle of the alien movies. For me, we'll do an actual ranking later in that episode, so we'll do that. But you know, there's there's aspects of this that kind of tied to Prometheus I don't really like. I don't like the story elements about creation and the creation of the aliens and the creation of mankind and all that, Like, I don't love that, and this movie is kind of stuck in that story. And then there's also this, like I guess I hear it called de mystification, where like, you know, there's things about a movie that are mysterious or a character that's mysterious, and then a prequel comes along and just explains everything about them, and it kind of ruins all the intrigue and everything that you had. Like I think the movie Solo was a good movie, but it explained everything about Han Solo, so he's not as interesting as a character. So it's kind of doing that with the Aliens. Yeah, so that's what I don't like about a lot of prequels, and this has that all over it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's something to the mystery of this weird creature, and like, thinking of past movies, I like the idea of it evolving on its own. I think the theory of evolution is so powerful, and they like take it away and it's like this god complex is inserted and it's so try. Like what's the word trite? Is that the word.
Speaker 3: Something that is overused and lacking originality or freshness?
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, just I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that that is also a good word for some of the movie because it repeats a lot of plot elements from the previous movies. Yeah, he had, you know, the aliens on the ship at the end, the android is a bad guy. There's just like several things throughout it that are they don't seem to play as like homages, so they're just like competing the same thing. Yeah, but despite that, I still think it was good. There was good tension throughout the movie. Like I was never very bored. You said the beginning was slow, but I found it intriguing. The action at the end I thought was really good. Like the whole third act was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, the th third act was really good. And then like Danny wick Bride is in it, Like.
Speaker 3: What so, Yeah, I think it's a huge step up from Prometheus.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's better than Prometheus. I like it a lot, I honestly do.
Speaker 3: It feels way more like an alien movie than that did, like in terms of the tone and the visuals, like.
Speaker 2: It cure itself. Yeah, I feel like the David character. I don't know, I just I never liked David, and I wish that they would have kept the other guy, Matthew or whatever his name was, Walter Walter, Yeah, he was cool. I liked Walter or the fact that they like cut to like us not finding out who is on the ship, like, let us know, show us the androids having it out.
Speaker 3: Okay, well yeah, so we'll dig into that.
Speaker 2: And okay, okay, okay, yeah trivia trivia trivia. Yeah, I like the movie. It was a good movie. I would watch it again.
Speaker 1: Trivia time. What facts could be uncovered for Alien Covenant?
Speaker 3: All right? So, prior to the release of Prometheus in twenty twelve, director Ridley Scott began hinting at the prospects of the sequel, as Prometheus has left many questions unanswered, and early on, Scott stated that the film would feature Nosenamore says he wanted to focus on David eight, whose ai was the new Alien life form, but feedback on Prometheus caused him to change course, so.
Speaker 2: He hinted that there wasn't going to be a monster. But then he took a note.
Speaker 3: I feel like you can see in this movie. In both these movies, like he really wants to focus on the androids and not the aliens.
Speaker 2: Which is weird because they're so hollow. Yeah, like, I think today that movie would have been interesting with the AI technology that we have today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting that he really dialed in on AI before it became such a hot topic. Yeah, knew me Rapace. I don't know if I'm saying her name right. That's who plays Elizabeth Shaw and Prometheus, And she'd spent a week shooting scenes which do not appear in the film. I don't know what those are. And I couldn't really find any information as to why they out cut her from the film, didn't include her, Like, was it whose decision that was or anything like it Just it's weird because I feel like they could have had her in the movie, even with the same general storyline, Like she could have been a part of it in some way. The film was shot in New Zealand, Australia, in the US and the UK, and the run up to release, twentieth Century Fox released a number of short prolog films as part of the marketing for Alien Covenant. There was a one called prologue Last Supper, which features the crew of the Covenant having a last meal before they entered cryo sleep. The second prologue was called The Crossing and reveals what happened to Elizabeth Shaw and the android David following the ending of Prometheus. So I guess she does appear in that short wherever that is. And then another one was called Meet Walter, which was a fictional advertisement for the Walter series of androids. The film was novelized by author Alan Dean Foster, who also wrote a novelization for the first Alien movie, and he also wrote a prequel novel to Alien Covenant called Alien Covenant Origins. Budget was ninety seven million, the box office revenue was two hundred and forty million.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 3: And it was considered a box office disappointment, and it brought in way less than Prometheus. Prometheus I think was almost five hundred million.
Speaker 2: Wow, And I would call it the superior film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, our reception of it, I think is higher than like what you see on Rotten Tomatoes and stuff like Prometheus is rated higher by critics and pretentious fuck yeah, so yeah. Critical reception was mixed, but somewhat positive. Praise went to the visual style and horror elements, as well as Michael Faspener's performance. Criticism went towards the script, the reuse of old plot devices, and the movies attempt to blend horror with philosophical themes. Ridley Scott originally planned two sequels to Prometheus, leading into the first Alien film. He later stated that Covenant would be the first of three sequels to Prometheus. A script was written during production of Alien Covenant and was set to go into production in twenty eighteen, but it faced delays, partly due to the box office under performance of Alien Covenant. Then, after Disney purchased twentieth Century Fox, they announced the development of more Alien films. This led to the production of Alien Romulus, and it remains unclear if more Bridley Scott's prequels will be made, so that cliffhanger ending might never be resolved.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't care. It's just a bunch of colonizers, right.
Speaker 1: Deep space dive, Let's break down some of our thoughts on the film. You can share your thoughts with us through email or social media. We may use your comments on an upcoming episode.
Speaker 2: What else is Michael Fastbender in Familiar looking as a as a robot?
Speaker 3: He's in some of the X Men frequels. He's Magneto, the young Magneto. He also played Steve Jobs in Steve Jobs.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen that. If it's not sci fi, it's not on my radar. But he looks like an like a fucking robot? What a robot face?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did a good job playing those two robits.
Speaker 2: He really did. I think he did a great job.
Speaker 3: You know, one thing, it's starting out of order here, but like one thing that I feel like was a misstep of him with David cutting his hair so early in the movie, because that kind of tips you off that they're going to switch places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would have. It would have been cool if he would have waited.
Speaker 3: And it also just made it harder to keep track of who's who because.
Speaker 2: They they looked so the same.
Speaker 3: They were both kind of wearing grayish outfits. I know they're different. One was a hoodie in one but.
Speaker 2: And then like the only difference was Homeboy was missing a hand, but his hand wasn't in the shout like eighty percent of the time. Yeah, so I couldn't tell you which one was which.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I didn't care much for that opening scene in the white room, but jumping past that, what an awful way to wake up from cryo sleep with that emergency going off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would suck. I felt like it was really sudden how we got to the ship and all of a sudden, everyone's waking up and people are dying, and I'm like, I don't care. I don't care about any one of these motherfuckers. I don't know them, I haven't met them, I don't like them. There's nothing about this that gives me like feelings, Like all that time they spent introducing the rule, but they could have built up community. They could have done that last supper thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I was just thinking, Like that scene might have done well at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Of the bu especially if you want to pay homage to the original, Like I feel like the original had that scene they get out of cryo sleep and they're all sitting around that white table eating. Yeah, like you could have done that. But you had to give the robot a part where he plays the piano, okay, choices, I don't know. So that was like going from that sterile white room. The creation of David annoying, and the fact that he names himself after a fucking statue, like boring. You don't even know like King David or any of that shit, Like you're just David because you know Michael Angelo, and you're like, oh, I think a sculpture is pretty cool, So I want to be named after this big naked guy. He's lucky he didn't have like a different painting or sculpture. He could have been like the thinker.
Speaker 3: What other like things could he have in there? Yeah? Yeah, So they killed James Franco with whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't even know it's James Franco. It's just some random dude in a pod that's on fire and everyone's upset about it. Apparently it was the captain. We don't care, we don't know him. And then later we watch videos of him on the side of a mountain laughing like James Franco and we're like, oh my god, that's fucking James Franco that died, and like that shot that they all took, and that in his memory was lame because we didn't know who he was and like the second in command had a big chip on his shoulder. We don't understand that either. Like, none of these relationships are adding up to me anyway. I just they're not adding up. They're like, I don't care boohoo, I'm in charge now and they don't respect my authority. And I don't want them to mourn the loss of a leader. What a weirdo. I was happy to see him die, honestly. I did feel bad for him at one moment when they were like on the planet. Oh, but I like the way that they fixed the sale. That was really cool and epic. Yeah, Danny McBride was out in space doing his thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, someone you didn't expect to be in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And he didn't really do like comic relief either. I mean, he was a little eccentric, but yeah, he's like.
Speaker 2: A character actor for sure, but he wasn't like a clown. It was weird that they had so many couples, right. I guess it makes sense if you're going to colonize, you want people to be procreating, But it was weird. I don't know how many couples you meet at work, but it's always weird to meet people that work together and couple. But I guess they're colonizers. It's weird. It's like they're on a cruise ship that's going to land and they're going to terraform something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that scene at the very end, the shower scene, I'd like totally forgotten that those who were a couple like that just seemed to come out of nowhere. Else.
Speaker 2: Well, it's weird because Jesse small Lette is like known to be queer, so seeing him making out with a woman and like rubbing her back and stuff is like weird.
Speaker 3: And then this tentacle comes on the scene and.
Speaker 2: Then it gets kinky. But it was kind of fun to see him die because he's done some sketchy stuff.
Speaker 3: That scene felt like more of a classic horror movie than an alien movie.
Speaker 2: It definitely pandered to the horror audience who loves to see titties on screen for no reason. Yeah, so yeah, that one was definitely And it was weird that it was so late in the film that they did that, yep, because usually you know, it's like ten minutes in and there's a nude scene. What's going on? Why so weight? My pants are already unzipped. What the hell I have to wait that long?
Speaker 3: So they got a distress call or a mysterious signal like yes from another.
Speaker 2: There, they got a radio signal from a singer singing, John Denver, take me how West Virginia. I would have been like, turn left, so'll go.
Speaker 3: Let's not go there, Let's see what the other planets are singing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't sound right to me.
Speaker 3: But no, they're like, hey, there might be a party there, so let's go check that out, which also is like a page out of the first movie where they go to investigate a signal and our lead heroin Daniels is of course saying it's a bad idea and doesn't get listened to, which also sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, and then when they go out and get sick, and then they're coming back, nobody knows quarantine procedures. All of a sudden, we're back to square one. Yep, and god damn it, in this post pandemic world, I am tired of seeing people not know what to do in quarantine. That guy was coughing all over that bitch, and she's like, let me in, let me in. I'm like, no, we're staying outside. If somebody gets sick on a foreign planet, you don't say here, let me get fucking three inches from your face and help you up. You say, stay here, let me get the bubble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this a movie about a airborne contagion, plays a little differently post COVID.
Speaker 2: It really does. And I wish we would have explored the alien form that came from those sporelike vessels, because that is interesting. That is fucking terrifying. The face hugger is physical, you can see it, you can shoot at it. But this like vapor that gets in your ears and nose and can go into your bloodstream and infect you. That is scary. I wish they would have explored that more. They would like there was no like thinking either. They weren't like, oh my god, it's in the spores. They never talked about it again. It never came up. It never like just it was like forgotten, like e raised from their minds that these two people got stick out of nowhere, and the robots like, oh you'd know by now, Like, bitch, I hain't trust in you. I don't know you.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it kind of moves on to the aliens that we know, because yeah, yeah, I guess the contagion was on that Prometheus ship and it exploded out and they were these humanoid character creatures on the planet.
Speaker 2: Those were the creators from Prometheus. They look they had that funky nosebridge going on, and they thought that it was like Homeboy coming home after he infected the humans. Maybe, but then David unleashes the contagion all over them, and it's I think that could have also been done a little more like dramatically, like taking their time with it instead of just like a flash that they showed. Like I wish we could have seen the evolution of the planet, like the way it turned into like all these creatures just running around too, because it could. It caught everything right, like there's wheat, so there might be cows, there might be other creatures that got like overrun, and David is the only one that's not a creature. I don't know. I just like, if you want to tell the story like that, like let's see it, it's show, not tell. That's that's why you make movies. It gave Pompeii vibes, though, you know, what I mean. So POMPEII was this volcano that erupted, and it was so quick with the ash and the that it like froze everybody in time. And that's that's kind of what it was giving, with all of the frozen like creature, like the creators frozen in time of their like chests exploding and shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one guy, the first one that got infected, it burst out of his back instead of his chest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when that Danny McBride's wife shut them both in that room, even though she clearly had blood all over herself. Selfish, selfish, she should have left herself in that room with them and said we're staying in here until we figure it out. Rude, messed up. Nobody knows quarantine rules. And then she's like, just go to the med bay and don't touch anything on your way out. They're knocking around, touching every single surface. So if it's like, I don't know, it's like, obviously not cool. I've seen movies where it's in the blood and if you like touch the blood, you'll get sick. And when that guy's back burst into her face, she would she's a goner. She's a gonner, and I wish it was like that, because as she was on fire, it would have been fucking dope if if a creature burst out of her just a little just more like gore and blood and tragedy. If you're gonna go there, go there.
Speaker 3: There were times in the movie that the Aliens had a CGI looked to them. They're like, they weren't quite like photo realistic. No, yeah, and just thought that was interesting because this is pretty recent in twenty seventeen, Like, I was all surprised that they had that kind of uncanny look to them at times.
Speaker 2: I think the ones that were most like that were the ones that were more humanoid, especially the little one that popped up and got up and like copied David, that one definitely didn't feel.
Speaker 3: And it didn't look like it did in the first Alien movie, right, like no, no.
Speaker 2: But the first Alien movie Alien sucked. You could tell it was a guy in a black jumpsuit. It was not good. The best part of that film is the chest burst and Sigourney like figuring out how to get rid of this fucker. Like it's all about Sigourney and the crew trying to survive this one is about the creation of the creature and how it's going to be the fall of mankind or something like that. You can tell that's kind of the broad strokes of it. And this white woman just happens to be at the center of it. Again, Like, if there's anything consistent, it's that there's a white woman in the center.
Speaker 3: So yep, if it ain't broke, I don't know, it's.
Speaker 2: Just like I said, it's trite.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the end the Prometheus, like we send elizabetha off and we don't follow up on that story.
Speaker 2: We kill her like we killed Sigourney in that one movie too, like, oh, well, we're done with you, so you're gonna die in hyperspace or whatever. You're not gonna make it or not. So Gourney the little.
Speaker 3: Girl, Yeah, Newt.
Speaker 2: And the she went the way of Newt. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of this movie where since it sounds like we're not going to have a sequel to this or anymore, like release got ones following up on this, so.
Speaker 2: I don't need one. I don't care about this, like it doesn't. I don't know any of the colonists. They're just like pods. They're pod people, like I don't feel any emotion about them, like if they would have built a world where like they like imagine a scene from Titanic where you have a bunch of people getting on the ship, getting in there into their ship, going on this voyage, but it's obviously like more modern and then space but like that kind of shit you remember, like on the Titanic there was like a family with their little kid, and the rich girl and the poor boy, and all these people all getting on this one ship with all their hopes and dreams and shit. Like I didn't get any of that. I don't care about any of those pod people. I'm kind of interested to see what David's gonna do with his little regurgitated words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't talking about the colonists and talking about Daniels and Tennessee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he might let them out, but he's not going to let the captain out. There's going to be a failure with her pod or something, and he's probably not going to let her wake up, or by the time she wakes up it'll be too late, you.
Speaker 3: Know, well we'll never know.
Speaker 2: Most likely it's not a big deal. I think Romulus is a better follow up to this if you take it in the order, like if I could go without this film in the franchise and Prometheus, like we could live without them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I don't like the I mean, the whole creation storyline. It's just weird mystery.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I like the idea of like this colony bug like alien creatures developing their own like hive mind and their own ships, and they're like creating all of their own things, but still being like driven to kill if it's not their own kind, Like, oh, I think that's iconic, and trying to explain it away saying that some robot created this instead of them like evolving and creating themselves. It just like discredits the creature so much, especially with the movies prior to this, when Sigourney finds out like oh there's a mother and all this shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't love that all this is engineered. And so for me the alien movies, I select ones that are kind of like cannon for me personally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I like this movie, but I wouldn't call it cannon. I think it follows like the classic tropes and I love a good good time movie with horror elements, but don't I don't think. I don't think it's a very strong story, and that's unfortunate because I like the movie, but it's just like I could take it or leave it, Like I wish it did more like for the characters, because I feel like that's where films shine, Like you can show me the landscape of Greenland or Europe or whatever all day long, but if the characters are a flop, the characters are a flop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no doubt that it's a well made, well constructed film, like Ridley Scott very clearly knows how to like make a well produced, well produced, well like visually styled movie.
Speaker 2: Like Yeah, and I feel like some of the direction was pretty good, but then there were moments where I'm like, I'm not vibing with it, Like I wish we would have had more moments where the captain was talking, like the second captain after James Franco, like gave us more of a monologue or something that gave us an idea of how he's feeling emotionally, like with having to all of a sudden be the captain out right out the gate and trying to like establish authority in a group of people that it doesn't seem he knows very well, like he kind of gave that, but it was like very poorly. I don't know if it was poorly acted or directed, but it's very not It's not memorable enough. And like I'm just tired of the main character being like a sad white woman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like her is like she someone she loves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like she's like not empowered. She's just distraught and upset and she's like nobody's listening to her and she's just got to like go along with what the men are saying, and it's just like, ugh, what a you know. I liked her at the end where she was more assertive and she was like, you know, she had a plan and she's gonna get rid of this fucker and all this stuff. But where was that person when they were like landing.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's just a weird way to develop a character. I guess like her character should be developed. And then that story about building a cabin by the lake that was cute, and I think, like that was so sad when she finds out that David's not Walter whatever. Yeah, I like that callback, but she didn't I don't know it just I don't know. I can't say what it is, but there's something that's not fitting. But it was okay. I mean she was like rolling around the top of the ship on a string and shit shooting a gun and catching the alien with the claw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was all great stuff. Yeah. It was better than Prometheus, where that big round ship is rolling on the ground and they run in a straight line.
Speaker 2: Oh fucking Charlie's throne just gets squished like a bug. The worst death of my life.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: They had some epic kill shots. Uh when that alien that stood up like a human person just like chomped on that girl's head and chomp, chomp. That was crazy. And then when Jesse Smalllegg got his head just like, just did it go through his mouth or the top of his head, because it went through his skull, but did it come out his mouth or his head?
Speaker 3: But I don't remember. I think it's just his head, Okay. I thought, just at least for the purposes of like being able to keep all the characters straight, like, the crew could have been a little more diverse. And I thought that the captain looked a little too much like David, like in his facial structure, that sometimes it was like dark it's moonlight and I'm trying to like keep track of these two characters that look very similar to me.
Speaker 2: Well, then they had two characters that were exactly the same guy. Yeah, so it was just like a lot there was too many white guys.
Speaker 3: I agree. I like that they kept David's like hair obsession into this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with a peroxide In the last one, I'm like, home boy has been living in this world without peroxide, but he had scissors the whole time, and he decides to give himself a chop after that guy gets there suspicious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again like he should have kept it long.
Speaker 2: And I wish what he would have done. I wish what he would have done was give himself like a blowout or like straightened it or made it like fanciful somehow so that when he was like presented, he's like, oh, you guys caught me on my off day, but I'm here now with my hair done. Like the hair is like slick or like in a you know, like really slick down, something a little different. To give us a little differentiation between the David and the Walter unit. Like it would have been cool to see a little more van because that Vanity was really interesting and Prometheus, and it would it would have been just a little more like, Oh, this robot's vein, that's fucking weird. So it would have been cool if like he like just slicked his hair back like a greaser or something, but kept it long until it was time to like body snatch Walter.
Speaker 3: There was a that scene with the two Michael Fastbenders playing the flute together that was really just impressive from a technical standpoint of them interacting with each other in one single shot with the camera moving and everything.
Speaker 2: Like, oh I didn't notice you would have?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's cool. Like I would love to see like the Breakast film they made that because yeah, I think it's like passing the flute to himself, holding up to his mouth and stuff. Yeah, kissing himself.
Speaker 2: That was interesting. I would kiss myself and then shove a flute through my throat.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's also interesting that the at least the newer AI models aren't allowed to create art.
Speaker 2: That's all they do now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something that might have been explored more if this was made today.
Speaker 2: Right, It's like, well, I don't technically create art.
Speaker 3: I steal it. Anything else before we I'm ready.
Speaker 2: For the spoilers. But yeah, so we can. I'm done with the current.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to do the astral Queen Award.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, one more thing. When he showed the captain his eggs and he's like, oh yeah, have a look, we were like, no, he fell for it. What a dumbass. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Part of me wondered if it would be like a bait and switch thing where there'd be something else in that egg.
Speaker 2: Maybe in the in the blooper reel. It's like a cheeseburger.
Speaker 3: It's like I've been growing mc donalds.
Speaker 1: Astral queen. Who was the standout character in the movie.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give it to Walter.
Speaker 3: Walter was a pretty solid dude, and I like that he was able to heal himself and come back that one time.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking he might do it again and somehow get on that, like learn how to drive the ship and get his ass back and save the world.
Speaker 3: Yep, sure, why not? That can be our own head cannon. Yeah, yeah, I like David who did the most to save the day.
Speaker 2: Home girl was running around with a string on her Yeah.
Speaker 3: Her mcshride sequences are really good. I might as well give it to Daniels. She was the sigourney of this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah with a pixie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Walter and Daniels will be shipping those awards in the space. Hey, so we've walked all the movies. Now should we rank them?
Speaker 2: Okay? My number one is no Alien, the regular every Day nineteen seventy eight Alien. That one's number one because she's iconic. She's a little boring, but if you stick with her, she's worth the weight. And then Romulus because she's new, she's shiny, she's retro, but she's like everything fucking creepy. And then this is where it gets harder for me. I think I'm gonna go with this one and yeah, and then the one with Wanona and then the one with the girl in the brown face.
Speaker 3: So you're going Alien, then Romulus and then Covenant.
Speaker 2: No, wait, I want Wanonas to be the third one.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Resurrection then Covenant yeah, and then Aliens Yeah, and then that just leaves Alien three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alien three and then and Prometheus and that's order that order. Yeah, weird order my order. Okay, you don't have to like it, and I ain't going to fight you about it, So.
Speaker 3: Mine differs a little, but my first two lest same. I like Alien the Original, and then Romulus is right up there.
Speaker 2: It's just so good at the world building. Yeah, the world building and the character is like you care about them? So I like that.
Speaker 3: So then I go Aliens. Oh we seem to really different on that movie. But I think popular opinions on my side, okay, and like those three movies are like my my core alien movies. Now yeah, after that, it's like, well these exist. Yeah, I think Alien Covenant comes next for me, and then I'd probably go Resurrection, then Prometheus, and then Alien three is at the bottom for me. Alien three the prison one, Oh yeah, I didn't like that one. Yeah, that one is.
Speaker 2: It's just sad they're already in jail. Why are you throwing fucking Aliens at them? And then they had that weird cult.
Speaker 3: Like if we were hanging out with the group and for some reason we wanted to watch an alien movie.
Speaker 2: Romulus, I'd be on board with Romulus.
Speaker 3: Almost all of them, But if we landed on Alien three, I'd be like, guys, I probably gotta go. If it's Prometheus, I'd be like, are we smoking first?
Speaker 2: Oh? My god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, so that does it. For the main part of this episode, we'll do the spoiler section here. We're going to talk about things related to Alien Romulus. Next up, as I mentioned, we might come back and do old Alien Isolation if we feel like it before we get to TV series Alien Earth, which comes out sometime next year, early twenty twenty five. But next up for on our main podcast, spacing out with BB and Jason not one hundred percent share, but we talked about doing the show Foundation from Apple TV. You're looking at me like you have no memory of this discussion. I'm sure I remember if you remind me. We looked at a number of things and that was your selection that we do Alien first and then we're going to do Foundation. So subject to change, that's the plan for now.
Speaker 2: Who has Apple TV?
Speaker 3: A lot of people do, really. I think some people have it included with their other Apple stuff and then it's like one of the cheapest of all the streaming services.
Speaker 2: Oh, they have Severance, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a lot of sci fi.
Speaker 2: It's what Steve would have wanted.
Speaker 3: Stereo stylist in this group.
Speaker 1: Race for Impact. Spoilers ahead if you haven't seen the whole film series. Now is the time to say goodbye. Remember you can contact us at spacingoutcod at gmail dot com, find us on social media, share your thoughts and be part of the discussion. Spoilers in five four three two one.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can see where they're going. That weird alien that stood up like a person and Romulus, the one that David was trying to talk to. Yeah, yeah, that was like the closest thing to the thing on Romulus, and it was like creepy. Like if I would have seen this before I saw Romulus, I would not have been as freaked out like I would have seen that there's a progression that that's evolving in the series or in the the alien like hive mind. Yeah, But because I didn't have any of this context, I was freaked the fuck out when I saw that two legged creature and then when I found out it was a real guy in that suit. But bring me out. Oh oh man, they had a tuck his dick back so hard, I bet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Romulus definitely like it referenced I think every single alien movie in some way, shape or form. But at the same time, it doesn't make like super strong connections to like over, like you'll have benefit from having seen the original movie seeing Romulus, but otherwise, like it's doing its own things.
Speaker 2: You can go blind in Romulus, you don't have to enjoy it.
Speaker 3: The four legged one from Alien three or whatever.
Speaker 2: Some freaky hybrid shit happening though, with that pregnant woman. Holy shit. Yeah, so I feel like, fuck David Man, it's Alien is its own thing. Alien never needed David.
Speaker 3: No, all right, So I think that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's it. Good night Alien.
Speaker 3: Thank you for spacing out with us. And remember in Space no One Can Hear You scream?
Speaker 2: Is that their tagline?
Speaker 3: That's a tagline for the first movie.
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: I just thought i'd bring it back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. Good Night.
Speaker 1: Thank you for spacing out with BV and Jason. You can help us out by subscribing and leaving a positive rating or review. We hope you will join us as we continue to cover other films and TV series