Speaker 1: Bill cunning in the Great America. Welcome this Wednesday, and in the tri State getting ready for the Bengals on Sunday. And we'll see what happens with the Brownies in town if they have a two percent chance, and maybe by the end of Sunny will have some sense how close the Bengals are getting in the playoffs and more. But until then, David Yos is the Attorney General of the State of Ohio. He walked in the shoes of Mike Dowaine, who held the office for eight years, and David Yost to welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, I read with interest the case called Dad's Place in Brian, Ohio kind of out of our jurisdiction, but it's illustrative of what civil authorities can do to Christian facilities. So can you tell the American people about Dad's Place and how you acted to stop out from occurring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is kind of interesting. This is a little street front church, and I'm going to tie it into Cincinnati at a second, because there is this is an important case, but it's a little street front shirt and the pastor there keeps it open. Twenty four to seven if you can believe that somebody's there twenty four to seven all the time, and you can come in there off the street, doesn't matter, no questions asked. You know, they'll give you food, they'll let you sit in a chair. There's no beds or anything. But you know sometimes people come in there and the coal winter, they'll sit in those chairs all night long. And the city is not happy about that. So they sent the building inspectors and the zoning inspectors and the fire chief and started citing them for you know, every little niggling code violation they could find. Well, it's a storefront shirt, it's in an old building. It's exactly what you're imagining right now when I'm talking about this. And the trouble is, there's a bunch of other places in these same kinds of buildings that get waivers, basically get a pass on it. In fact, there's even a hotel that where people sleep overnight where some of these same violations have been you know, overlooked, their their their grandfathered in. So the key issue is a church definitely has to follow zoning and you know building code, safety code violations and all that. Uh, they're they're the codes, but you can't treat them worse than you treat other businesses. Right. And so we're in court right now arguing about it. Where the State of Ohio's and amicus uh and UH first liberty I think is actually representing uh Dad's place. But the way we got an appeals court to issue a stay and UH, we'll continue to talk about that. But the reason why I think this is important to your listeners. You know, Cincinnati is one of our great has one of our great Catholic populations, uh in the United States. And I was just asked to get involved in a case out of Wisconsin that's headed for probably the Supreme Court, where Wisconsin is saying, hey, you know, yeah, all that God stuff is good. Yeah, you got First Amendment rights on that. But if you take it so far as going out and trying to do the homeless or you know, feed the hungry, you know, that's not religion anymore. That's social work and you're not protected. Wow.
Speaker 1: And so in other words, why would the Attorney General care about Dad's place in Brian, Ohio? Does it say something larger about other difficulties practicing faiths in America? Is that the main reason you're doing because I would think when Dad's place showed up, here comes the Attorney General to Brian Ohio, but the storefront ecumenical church that people were saying, what the hell is David Yost doing here?
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly the point. If the government was allowed to tell you what is religious and what's not, that you're allowed to preach, but you're not allowed to feed the hungry. You know, you can, you know, celebrate the Lord's Supper, but you know, we get to talk about whether you know you're allowed to house the homeless and give them shelter. Then the power to regulate is the power to destroy, and we don't have a First Amendment anymore. At that point, religion becomes something that you have to do in pie private and wash your hands afterward.
Speaker 1: So you're involved in that. Hopefully it'll set a larger point on the second issue I want to go over with you. And recently, about a week ago, our Governor Mike DeWine signed into law a so called bill that wasn't shall we say, transgender hospitals and bathrooms. And there's two different issues there, and one is a bathroom bill, the other one is transgender rights and I just happened. In preparation for the interview this afternoon. I went on the website this morning of Children's Hospital in Cincinnati, and they have a statement right there that we follow Ohio law and we do not do puberty blockers. We don't do hormonal replacement, we don't do surgeries. Because of a law recently passed by the state of Ohio. There was some I think regret that Children's Hospital couldn't do it, but nonetheless it applies to Cincinnati nationwide. Can you explain to the American people as we sit here this Wednesday afternoon, what is the law relative to teenage girls fourteen or fifteen having double mass sectomies and having hysterectomies, And what is the law now but a thirteen year old boy having his testicles removed chemically and having his penis removed, And what is the law, which I think is the whole thing is sick. It's ridiculous, especially when England about a week ago said we're out of the business of puberty blockers. This Scandinavian country said this isn't working. We've stopped. We're in the beginning of this process. So can you explain to the American people. We have a great children's hospital here, Cincinnati's Children's respective is the best in the whole nation. But when it comes to puberty blockers and hormonal surgery and double mass sectomies for thirteen year old girls, I draw the line. What is the law of Tony Bender wants to know.
Speaker 2: Well, the line is about where you would like to draw it, Bill, And let me say, I'm glad to hear the Cincinnati Children's which was an opponent of this law and when it was in the legislature, is publicly saying that they want to comply. That good for them. That's a good thing. The law now says that if you're under eighteen, you can't do anything permanent medically about gender transition, quote unquote. That's kind of the top line you could still have. You know, you can still go to mental health counseling, you can still talk to a pastor, you know, so it doesn't reach that. But we're drawing the line at things that are going to change your body permanently or even potentially permanently. So chemicals and you know, endocrine therapy, hormone therapy. Certainly, chopping body parts off is no you got to wait till you're eighteen to do that.
Speaker 1: And so if you're twenty or twenty five or nineteen or thirty eight, and you have your wits about you and you're a woman, you want to double mass sect to me hysterectomy. You're a man and you want to have your testicles cut off and other body parts removed, and you can do that, correct, am I?
Speaker 2: Do I have that right? It's a free country, and the legislature has not, you know, attempted to regulate that, all right, nor in my view should they. No.
Speaker 1: No, I can't imagine having an argument today that if you're a fifteen year old girl and you want a double mass sectomy in a hysterectomy because you think you're a boy, that somehow society would say, well, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Let me play devil's advocate. Let's say the mom.
Speaker 1: And the dad loved their daughter slash son, and they want a live daughter instead of a dead son. That's the bumper sticker, which makes sense on the surface, but look below, it doesn't make any sense. But let's say that the mom and dad say we want this done. The treating physician says, this is required for the mental health. We got to cut off a penis for mental health. And then the hospital says.
Speaker 2: We'll do it.
Speaker 1: Who in the hell is David Yost and the people of Ohisa.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. I'll play Devil's advocate. Can you answer that question? Yeah, well you know what the answer is, because I've heard you get it. We protect children while they're developing on all kinds of things. You can't go into the military and fidal war when you're sixteen. You can't buy beer, alcohol, cigarettes, cannabis. You can't get a tattoo without your parents' permission. You can't vote even with your parents' permission. And that's because people are under eighteen. Plenty over eighteen, but under eighteen you're still growing up. You don't make good judgment calls, and you don't know who or what you're going to be when you're an adult. It's a tumultuous time. And of course the state has a right and an obligation in my view, to protect kids.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true, and I point out that what happened in Madison, Wisconsin a few days ago. I watched this morning on CNN, the fifteen year old girl at a firing range shooting ar fifteen's with her father's permission, also shooting I think the murder weapon, the nine millimeter, and fifteen year old girl who was not transgender but had severe mental difficulties, had posted online all kind of weird stuff about killing boys and killing men and that women have to take over society. Hear idols were two guys in the nineteen ninety nine Colmbine that named Harrison Cleebold. Those two guys shot up Columbine High School. She was wearing paraffine area that celebrated the murder of students. And I'm watching this going on, and I'm thinking, well, this has happened in Ohio. It happened north of here. It's going to happen again. It happened in Butler County where a student got off track, got off an emotional never never land, and thought it was their duty to kill fellow students, or in this case, kill boys and men. And so as the attorney general. And also I'm listening to the radical left telling us, and we need more laws, so we don't we have enough laws on the books. I guess carrying guns if you're fifteen years old in the school must be legal because they say we need laws. As the chief law enforcement officer, can you conjure up some law that we could put on the books that would stop a mentally troubled, emotionally disturbed fifteen year old girl who is posting online nasty things about boys and men. Allegedly, at least before it was taken down. The police have not confirmed that in Madison, but the posting seems to be hers, and that she lived in a dysfunctional house in which the the husband and the wife had been married to different partners, who was split between two households, had every excuse to go off the rails. Is there any new law we could pass that would stop this from happening ahead of time?
Speaker 2: Until you can figure out how to pass the law that cures a human heart that's damaged, I don't know how you do that. Honestly, we have laws. You're not eight kids, You're not allowed to take guns to school. Okay, it's against the law. Let's start there. But at the end of the day, I think it's important, at least on this segment where we're talking about kids going off the rails in their schools, because they're the ones that have the easiest access to the schools. I think it's time for us to realize that forgive me the baby boomer's libertine approach to life, their hedonistic approach to life, where they're treating their children as though they're fully formed adults, able to make all of their own decisions, entitled to substantial, robust privacy, is a failure. This is not the way any society operates throughout history. Parents have an obligation to society as well to their as to their own children to raise them. And I mean saying, no, you're not going to do that. No, you don't get privacy. Give me your phone. I'm going to see what you're doing. And I just encourage all the people within the sound of our voices to not buy into this notion that you ought to treat your fifteen year old son or daughter the same way you will treat your twenty year old son or daughter. There's an eternity between those five years, and there's a difference in your legal and moral duties, your ethical duties if you dislike the word moral.
Speaker 1: In how you act as David Yost couldn't have said it better. And somehow, I think even twenty year old men and women are not men and women by the true I think a male doesn't develop to the twenty five or thirty years old. That's a different issue. Lastly, the big issue in Cincinnati right now, you're a big wig in Columbus, is is homelessness. I'm looking at an order signed on August sixteen, twenty eighteen, State of Ohio Extral Joseph Tdaters versus the City of Cincinnati, in which we have a terrible homeless problem here that exacerbated itself with the burning down of I four seventy one.
Speaker 2: People are going nuts.
Speaker 1: And this order of consent decree says the City Cincinnati Police and Health Departments, upon the request for its assistance by the Sheriff's Office and other shall remove any existing or future encampments on any unlicensed park. Campground does no running water or toilet facilities, and other requirements is defined by statute. So I'm holding this order which is now what about six years six and a half years old, that says the City of Cincinnati is ordered to remove homeless encampments. And right now, as I speak, there are dozens of homeless encampments under bridges and public parks, including in Mount Washington, that should not be There is there any role for the Attorney general in this.
Speaker 2: Well. I would have to look at the specific laws that that order cites to be able to give you a definitive legal answer. I'll send it to you. But look, but look, this is Cincinnati's issue. And if Cincinnati wants to tolerate an administration that ignores a court orders, that is a local problem. That is not something where Columbus ought to be coming in and dictating to the local town. My question is, what the heck's going on down there? Now? Where's the prosecutor? Where's the city council? Do you lack the courage to do what you've been ordered to do? But I really don't think that we want to live in a state where Columbus is going to swoop in like you know, some kind of Demi god and order all the local folks how to run their lives. We don't like that when Washington tries to do it to us. I'm not really eager to try to do that to our local cities. And you know what, I know a lot of the people there. I think they're good hearted people, they're smart. Don't get this, They'll get this right.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope down the road we actually follow the law. But city council acts as if this is a brand new problem, it's never existed before, and what do we do with homeless And the fact is there's an order saying what to do, and they ignore it because it's politically inconvenient. David Yost, Attorney General, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, thanks for setting the people straight on homelessness and so much more, and thank you for coming on the Bill Cunning Embers show and David Yost will do it again.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Very Christmas, my train and Christmas, let's continue with more.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how when laws are shall we say, non political in the sense this is what you must do whether you like it or not, Liberals and Democrats ignore the law when it doesn't fit their political ideology, but when it does fit the law, then they go nuts. On this case, we have a clear law that says they can't do this. They're ordered to remove the homeless homeless camps immediately, and they refuse to do so. And someone I'm maybe have on another lawyer later on and talk about what to do in this case. But this is not the way things ought to be. Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham News Radio seven hundred WLW