Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty eight of five and five. It is Monday, June twenty ninth. I am your host once again, Grett Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffrey pattern Nostro. I'd like to thank you both for your hosting duties while I was out of town. I have informed you now where I was. It was not, it was not I don't blame Zach. I like to thank Zach and Colin very very much for filling in, especially Colin on just bombing the game. That was a beautiful I want to be clear. I think Colin did that as a tribute to me. I I'm not judging his skills. I liked it.
Speaker 2: I like how losing to me for too is bombing the game? Well, it was.
Speaker 1: It was a movie. It was like, this is something you should know. It was also, as you noted at the top of the episode, or he noted at the top of the episode, he was like, oh, you've asked me a question. My mind has gone completely blank. I have nothing for you. Anyway. UH. I was in in Willa, which is a place. It is in the UH. I don't know if people know about this. I did not know about this until my wife found it. It is in the Lesser Antilles in the West Indies. That's all I got for you. You can start googling. You can start googling from the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my geography is terrible, but I only remember out there Puerto Rico, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I always hear about the Lesser Antillies, like during hurricane seats on something that's forming out by the Lesser Antilles.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yes, that's to blame for everything. Yeah, So I'd like to thank you all and and both of them for for keeping things going while I was out. I have no idea what the hell happened last week, so this will be a fun episode. I will say. The last thing I'll say on the basis of my vacation is uh. People have asked me how it was. You know, there are two kids there, so it's it's not restorative. This is what I would say.
Speaker 3: It was nice And for those kind of.
Speaker 1: I have a full as you guys know, I have a full album of my three year olds splayed fully out on the floor in public places.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it's a it's it's a good it's a good bit good.
Speaker 1: I was really mad and that around like the fifth picture, I was like, this is actually pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Like my German Phoe wife was horrified.
Speaker 1: Oh, in the airport is a good place for that. My my wife was who he's extremely attached to at the moment. It was extremely annoyed every time, and I understand why she is more patience than I do. I was also annoyed, but every time I went to take a picture, she would laugh, and I was like, okay, so it is a it is a good bit, Like it is extremely annoying, but also it's pretty fun.
Speaker 3: And they also seems like he's more attached to the floor.
Speaker 1: When he's not attached to his mother. Yeah, any banter on your ends.
Speaker 3: So, in the words of Craig, I had a family member's birthday over the weekend birthday party. So while I was coming back with so much leftover capristan and fruit snacks and unloading the car and trying to figure out where I'm going to put all all the stuff that said family member got for their birthday, our neighbor across the street who I've talked seems nice. I've talked to I think once since we've lived here, like on Halloween when we were trick or treating comes over and I'm like not, I just go in. I'm carrying huge boxes of fruit snacks and caprisa and the cooler and whatever. When I come back out and my wife is gone, and I see that she's across the street with the neighbor and then starts coming back with just stuff. So the neighbor, I remember the neighborhood had a yard sale, maybe like last weekend or the weekend before, and the stuff they didn't get rid of, like just pulsy wood. Your child like this, and it's free stuff, so of course my child would. So it comes back with a scooter, a bluey place at and a doll and I'm like, which is fine, that's very nice of her. I like, I don't have places to work the stuff I got. I'm already like going through my head, like where am I going to put this in her room? There's like a giant plastic in among other things.
Speaker 2: Does the even get played with?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's how you saw that came out of the oven already. So it was just very much like why why are we doing this right now?
Speaker 1: I will tell you I very unsuccessfully tried to implement a one in one out policy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, tough cell.
Speaker 1: The grandparents did not take that. I said, I don't care, get it, just take something back. Yeah, I don't want that stuff. And I said, now you know how I feel. I also don't want that stuff. All right. My weekend pretty late.
Speaker 2: I I posted about this, but I spent one of the days of the weekend I can't remember which, Saturday, I think, sitting in a trampoline park reading Clockworcorne.
Speaker 1: And that's that. That summarized my weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not kind of I'm not gonna bore everyone with my feelings about clockwork garngs, which are stronger than I expected them to be.
Speaker 1: Did not enjoy it?
Speaker 3: Have you not read clockhord Goarrange the book before?
Speaker 2: No, I've never I've never heard. I watched the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure, it's like that's the book you kind of have to read when you're seventeen years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I do. On a movie note, I do want to. I think this will annoy I don't know, this will probably annoy somebody. But I again, traveling with the children, you get interrupted a lot. But there was the hill Mary project on the plane new release, and I thought, oh, I'm I never get to a movie theater so like, and people say, this is good. I'm gonna I'm gonna try it. I got I got to about ten minutes left in the movie and we start landing. They're talking NonStop, so it interrupts the movie. I just haven't seen the last ten minutes of what was a very very good movie for me anyway. But I don't know that I'll ever see it. Yeah, I might just never. I don't will because like it was streaming eventually, like short fine for free. But like I think, Patrick, I talked to you about you can get it for six bucks, and I'm like, I'm not spending six bucks on the pretend the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's thirty six dollars per hour. That's I'm not doing that. I it was, I had a great time. I would love to know what happened.
Speaker 1: I might just not.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't think of you can't know what happened. Fair.
Speaker 1: I do think I might just make a habit of again. I watched Dune on on my phone on a plane as again as as any intended. I might just start doing this and just doing feature you know, big big feature films on.
Speaker 2: Planes and I certainly reached an age where I just don't watch movies in movie order, and you know, in a sense of time, right right, I'm a half hour to come and see Still it's been two weeks.
Speaker 3: Well we saw we saw five for the birthday, for part of the birthday. It's like it's more than a one day celebration.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, yeah, but when.
Speaker 3: Its not Toy Serve. I did not have like particularly high the first thing I did, we were going to see Toy Surf, Like, okay, how I look up how long is this? And it's one hundred and two minutes. I'm like, I fine, it's not that bad. I was worried to me like two hours and ten minutes or something, right, because the longer these the more you get deeper. I feel like, get into sequels for something. Just keep making the movies longer. But it was, it was there were a lot of balls in the air plot wise, more than I expected. But that that was a really good movie. Like it was actually legitimately a very good movie. But like I was trying to think, like have I seen like I know, I've seen one and two in their entirety? Have I seen three and four and I'm like, yes, I have, just not in order or at the same time, like I've walked into the room and the kids in like twenty I see like the middle thirty minutes of Toy Story three or something, right, and then like remember a week later because she watches them over and over again, I think I've seen three, Like I'm it's entirety, but yeah, I don't if you.
Speaker 2: If you saw four, you could easily have forgotten.
Speaker 1: Speaking of movies where there's so many and just watched it. There was a twelve minute presented by Minions something on one of the screens, and you just watch that like four sometimes, yeah, like in a row, just for sure. Yeah, the mind reels. All right, let's get into the show. We'll get into our first segment. Because we are a Mets podcast. It's nice to be welcome back with the warm hug. Yeah, no, Jeff, we're looking at the Mets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to.
Speaker 1: We have to have no choice. They're drawing attention to themselves. They have fired Carlos Mendoza. Yes, Andy Green is the interim manager. I just my my question on this is really and I know I know the answer in a way, but I still think like, why didn't this happen when Rob Thompson.
Speaker 3: And Alex score fire.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like that was the time.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It seems like stubbornness. It seemed like not willing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know if it's so this I think, God, I've talked about this for months on for all your kids. I just did it again twice since it's happened. I think the funny to say the Red Sox can do this. The Red Sox have had similar tumultuous tumult in their organization.
Speaker 1: Or the last Red Sox. No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like Dave Dombrowski can do this in part because he's done it before and it worked, and also in part just because no one's gonna look at the Phillies and be like, work there. They can't, like they just there's no job security. But you look at the mats, right, who have you know? Showalter made it two seasons, Louis Rojas made it two seasons, three seasons. The hir for twenty nineteen, I don't know. The hire of four twenty twenty was right after the Astros stuff came out. They've had something like five heads of baseball operations in the last six years. So at a certain point it becomes difficult to hire the next guy if you keep firing the previous guy after this is Yeah.
Speaker 1: I read Sheian's newsletter on this. Yeah, and he noted the Mets have had four managers in eight and a half seasons. Yeah, I mean, and Mendoza's two and a half are the longest. Yes.
Speaker 3: And Tim Britton made this point about sort of their heads of baseball ops too, and why Sterns might be safer than you might think, because again they haven't you know, before Sterns, they had Epler for two years, before Eppler, they had various and assorted people for various short periods of time, with Sandy Alderson always sort of there as well. But I mean, this is a bad baseball team playing bad, and I don't think Mendoza is I'm merrily responsible for them being whatever it is now. I was twelve when he was fired. I think twelve games under five hundred. But Jared's made this point, what is the affirmative case for keeping Carlos Mendoza, Because no one has made it.
Speaker 1: I don't think there is one.
Speaker 3: There isn't one like there's.
Speaker 1: No one embarrassed about a prior decision, right, right, I mean that's really to me, that's what it scans.
Speaker 3: As, right, So like there's a whole thing like, well, they there's what I'm thinking, like, well, they turned over the roster too much, like, well, that's the manager's job to deal, like to bring the new roster to get Like, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. The defenses of Mendoza from like Lindor and Soto after the after he was fired, we're pretty tapid. They're like, yeah, it's not his fault, we need to play better, like basic boiler plate stuff. And they collapsed down the stretch with a completely different roster. So this has happened like twice now under him. At a certain point, like you're basically saying you can never fire a manager or the manager's or the or why do you need a manager? The manager is not responsible for anything apparently, So yeah, and look the Phillies fired their manager in their ten games or five hundred, now, right, I think I think I don't, but I.
Speaker 1: Think you can say it's not entirely Mendoza's fault with all the roster turnover. It is his job. But also that is hard, right, that is and I look, I say all the time about the front office, like you're there to do hard things. You're supposed to be good at what you do. That's not an excuse necessarily. But I think you can say, look, he's he had a lot to deal with and even people better than himself might not have made something.
Speaker 3: Of it, right, And there's been a lot of injuries, like Soto and Lindora barely played together this year.
Speaker 1: But but but yeah, all that being said, what as you said, what is man? What is the affirmative case?
Speaker 3: And the stuff that I have been able to say, he is not.
Speaker 1: A good reason even if they're not excuses. We can provide reasons right and say like, okay, this is the but but it seemed abundantly clear he wasn't the guy, right. He wasn't the guy to come out the other side and say like and and when this is all it all ever, stops being tumultuous, right, say it was worth it to hold on to him because he can he can really lead us into this next era. That wasn't that It seemed abundantly clear that wasn't the.
Speaker 3: Case, right, And that it's very telling that the second game. Look, I'm sure more because it's a mats and the Met's actually leak a lot less than they used to, especially compared to Boston. I think we'll eventually get more, you know, behind the scenes stories on this, maybe not in season, and that actually happened here. It was very telling to me. The second game, Andy Green was in charge, Christian Scott faced exactly eighteen batters, got pulled in the middle of the inning and they had a lefty ready for Harper and like Mendoza just wouldn't do that. He would have kept him in for five to give them a chance to get the like very basic stuff that I that I think probably was even being a communicated him by the front office or he was given the information to work with this, but he just wasn't following the program. And like, look, it's fine to do that if you win, right, but once if you're not winning, like they're like, what are you? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Man? There's there's I mean, look, you can lay and people have and I have. Dave Roberts went through a lot of issues, right, but he was so good on the right I don't and was good.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but he wasn't good.
Speaker 3: Enough, right, Like, there's not a lot of again you don't really see like again, this was a this team the end of last year, and certainly a large runk of this season has like the Dodgers won, yeah, but they've played like they are poorly coached. Base running errors, fielding errors like Mark Biento's blowing through stop signs and just starting them next day. Like there did not seem to be a lot of like Marcus Semien just playing every day even though he was dealing with a hip flex and he's out for six weeks now, but he was like playing with it for a month because he's Marcus Semian. And look, I understand they wanted to bring in a different Uh, it's like very football coach there, and they wanted to bring a different type of manager after Showalter, but like it just it wasn't working. Like it worked for exactly three months basically, right.
Speaker 1: Well, And I think, look, I get a little I recognize I get a little both sides on this because I'm now criticizing Mendoza not being fired when Thompson and Cora were. But I also at that time I would say, like, you're not that far into the season, Like, it's a little embarrassing to me that you had to fire them then, because really like what happened in the option, but even at the time, we were saying, like this is probably Mendoza's coming next.
Speaker 3: Wait, well we said this on the pod right after that, like this is the one button you can push, right, Like you can push this the button you can the one button you can push in like mid May, you can't trade, you can claim Austin Slater, you can sign Chris Paddock, apparently if you need to pitch it. Yeah, but yeah, if you need to put a you know, a boot up the ass, so to say, so to speak, And like it obviously hasn't happened for Boston, and there's other stuff going on behind the scenes with Cora in the front office and ownership there for Beers, and it has worked for for Philly.
Speaker 1: And we would also note, as we did, like the the Phillies did this ahead of a soft spot in the sketule.
Speaker 3: And look, they might have still a little bit of by in does but they also might have they might have done the same thing under Thompson, right, Like I don't think they got Wheeler back, and he's looked like Wheeler and Harper. He aged forwards. Great, get it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like it's the team meeting before that. Yeah it is. You might win the game before the team, you know, without the team meeting, because your ace is going anyway, that's why you do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The difference is that Thompson was a ninety plus win manager for three years, yes, and Mendoza was not.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's about all we can tell, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, Series I kind of costing a lot off of that.
Speaker 3: World But that does matter, like it matters in the room. He won a World Show. I don't know if anyone left from that World Series team still in the room, but he's.
Speaker 1: A it does matter. It doesn't matter. Yeah, I again, I go back to Roberts, who has a lot of these same tactical issues. Yeah, and again I read Shean's notes on this. I don't think he's the only one making this point. But the strategic on field decisions were I mean, you were fire yeah, well before this, and I think whatever you have to put whatever least she got on the clubhouse side of things. But again, maybe he's not as good as Roberts and look, I've heard about stuff on Roberts's side of that that's maybe he's not all that, you know, it's not all he's cracked up to be or whatever, but he wins the games, right and you there is as much about you're hearing stuff this year with a Dulton.
Speaker 3: Rushing apparently yea apparently, But like.
Speaker 1: You don't get all the stuff that's happened in coming out of the stuff over the last few years. And some of that is because they just win games. They're not gonna hear about it. If you win games.
Speaker 3: There's a a soccer analogy here, right, Like it's different I think managing Real Madrid versus like Aston Villa, right, Like Real Madrid, you're always gonna have the be Like Carlo Ancelotti is a classic example of this, Like he's not necessarily a great tactical manager, though I think he can be a bit underrated at a time because he's seen as this like star whisper man manager, Like he just gets guys of play and he managed see what's happened with Real Madrid since he's since he's left, like it, it can be difficult like this, like the Phil Jackson Bulls thing, right, like how do you get Rodman and Pippin and Jordan to all play together? Right, like there is a there is a skilled them. I don't know if Roberts has, like I know Don Maddingly probably didn't when he was there, right because you heard a lot more in the background. But like again, it is winning cren created.
Speaker 1: He was supposed to be the same style of manager.
Speaker 3: Winning creates the clubhouse chemistry right like you like you know talking about like the Grimace mets O MG stretch right right like before that it was you know, Jorgalo has thrown his glove into the stands and just like in a complete mess for the first six weeks there. So you know, at the beginning of last year they had the best record at baseball. Sometime around late June early July, everything was going great, right they got Clay Holmes, he's pitching well. And then when things start going bad, like there's nothing to fall back on. And look, the manager's job, to an extent, and I get the players are involved here is to pull the team out of the tailspin right when that happens, because every team's going to go through. The Dodgers have done this before two under our terrible month under the year they ended up tied with the Rockies or whatever they had, like some terrible month down a stretch there. Yeah, they went to the World Series and they went right, like so and again it's not there's no easy solution, but like, I don't get the I would like people, specifically in the New York Mets speed, tell me when it is okay to fire your manager, give me, give me a date and time in scenario right, do they literally need to be trying to fight the media like Mickey Callaway who got fired for other even more just the fiable reasons, But like do they like what is the so again, this is this, you have extended Carlos mendo Is going into an option year after this year? Would you have extended Carlos Mendoza because they're gonna say no.
Speaker 1: But then is the saying this was too early.
Speaker 3: Now they're saying it's not his fault and he's escapegoat for David Stern's roster. That's what they're saying. Because Carlos Mendoza takes them back.
Speaker 1: I have to assume, well, yeah, maybe it's that there's a real situation going on. Yeah, sure, well I have to also assume like you can always set your sights on the bigger fish and you're you're gonna make more hay for longer. Sure shitting on sterns at the moment. If you're the New York media, then Mendoza is gone. He's not.
Speaker 3: That's not red mil like it's already. And the thing is, like everybody wrote their columns and did their like front facing TikTok videos and then by you know, they're up down a road trip to Toronto. It's just the story is done. Mendoza, didn't you know Mendoza to his credit, I guess it's compared to Alex Cora just did.
Speaker 1: The standard boiler play company smiley face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks for the thanks for the memories. Basically, I want to thank Steve Cohen and David Starts for the opportunity. YadA YadA. I didn't work out the way YadA, YadA, YadA, So there's no again. Maybe he goes on background at some way sources for knowledge of coast. Mendoza's thinking in four months, but you know he's looking he's going to get a coaching job or a player development job this offseason, like he's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be a great higher for the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Uh so actually color in my eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, easier to criticize Turns because we can is going to be the Rockies manager for Yeah, he's the Braves.
Speaker 1: He already has been the manager.
Speaker 3: Who is the what what's happening with Warren Schaeffer? Warren sh sorry thirty five year old Warren? Yes, I only know because he was the I mean maybe for like three years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Mendoza wasn't the guy in New York. There are no guys. If Rob Thompson is not a guy. If Rob Thompson can can like win year after year and then have forty bad games and be out, then there are no guys. And if you are a prospective manager, my suggestion is have a thing. Like the last manager to have a thing was Joe Madden, and that thing got him like ten years worth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you needed there was he had quirky was like bringing in penguins and a smoke.
Speaker 2: He had the t building exercises and stuff like that, like and legitimately, like you can have whatever feelings you want to have about Joe Mannon, but it kept him employed and it kept him, like in the public consciousness at least people could go, oh, yeah, well he has a you know, there is something he does well. So no manager is safe unless they can carmonate some sort of actual like.
Speaker 3: I do you mean also much like soccer, every manager is hired to be fired. Yes, well, I mean that was quickly as soccer.
Speaker 1: But I do want to the on field stuff really does matter too, write like because you as you said, like as we're talking about, winning solves everything, and so if you do stuff that negatively impacts your chances of winning, like not pulling the starter, yeah, which like he constantly gave guys.
Speaker 3: Yes, usually Freddy Perolta, and then he would bring in Jascar bras a BoNT who's not a strike out Freddy Peralta.
Speaker 1: But he did it with David Petersons, He did it with all these guys who should be twenty one twenty two batters and out. I mean Clay Holmes. Again, Clay Holmes was going really well. Clay Holmes was a conversion. You needed to be conservative to get him further into the season, and they weren't, and he baited really hard last year. You know, these are things and again I don't think David's Darnce doesn't. David Stearns also knows how Freddy Peralta works.
Speaker 3: Ye, yes he does. And you can tell all you can do is give him the information, right, Like you can't sit in the dugout and manage the team form correct And like David Searns hired this guy, right, Like it's not like ye and like sometimes you know maybe he interviews really well. Well, there are a lot of marks on Sterens here.
Speaker 1: I also I do, I do really wonder though, like you always have to ask what who are you getting? That's better?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'll say, like I'll try not to repeat myself from the podcast I recorded yesterday.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: But the thing with Sterns versus Mendoza, right, Mendoza is only responsible for making the major league roster tick. That is his job. And the most visible thing that David Stearns does is create and shape the major league roster. Right, But it's not the only thing he does. And I don't know that's even I mean, it is primarily like everything is pulling towards winning, putting a winning team on the field and the majors. Right, But the prod like the fantasy baseball moves.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: The trades and the high level free agent signings are the most visible part of that, but they're not the only part of it. And I think because this offseason has gone out as badly as outcomes as possible, I don't think the process was awful, although you can nitpick certain parts of it certainly right like maybe the Bishet theets. I don't think anbody thought sheet was going to be this bad. He might just end up having the Bobochet season by the time it's all said and done. Anyway, he's heading.
Speaker 1: In that direction better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the structure of that contract, while he is a qualifying offer guy, I think you can sure nitpick. Everybody wants to point out Polanco versus Alonzo, which is fine, but also like, what's actually happened is a Jaredy Eric Wagoman platoon, which has not been that much worse than Alonzo.
Speaker 1: Uh well, I don't to me. The Polanco thing that was crazy to me was Ryan o'hearne is there, Yeah, but I don't actually like Ryan O'Hearn has a one twenty three ops.
Speaker 3: Plus, he's been better. He is pretty good, but I just don't like at the time I don't think there was also actually a first base. Yeah, I just don't think there was a huge argument. Like I don't think there was a huge difference either way, like at that moment on that contract a little bit. They both got two year deals. Like it's not if you think Polanco is the guy, you.
Speaker 1: Just didn't get twenty million a year. No, yeah, like two and I thought he had forty.
Speaker 3: Did he get too? I think you're like two thirty six? But whatever, maybe he got maybe he did get two forty, he got forty, Yeah, I mean, but.
Speaker 1: The thing is that it was a lot for a guy who had been better, had for a few years, had had the injury, right, I mean, look, I understand it too, but also like couldn't stay on the field.
Speaker 3: I think the argument is they actually should have sign both of them. They don't have to play Mark Bianto's and Brett Bady.
Speaker 1: But there's that.
Speaker 3: But so again you can nitpick things here in there, right, like they the Nemo trade, Okay, but like Nemo hasn't actually been better than Carson banjer a j ewing really.
Speaker 1: So no, they just have you j mend so yeah, but.
Speaker 3: They've had a lot of it yes, but they have had a.
Speaker 1: Lot of I also do, like we've talked about Nimo a lot.
Speaker 3: Nemo didn't want a d she would be dhing more in this that's one of the trade.
Speaker 1: He's a one twenty oh ps plus this year. I think a lot of that is park adjustment.
Speaker 3: From it is a lot of it is park adjustment from Texas. I mean, that's a terrible park tohead.
Speaker 1: Maybe it is a terrible park to hidden, but like that's still I I I don't know if things would look as good if he was in city, just in general, and again they had they shifted where the money ends, right, and they had depth there. M J. Melenda is notwithstanding, like they had organizational depth there generally.
Speaker 3: Right, And like, look, they signed talk Ben and he just had the injury, right, like they've had Tailor's missed a bunch of time. Not that I'm a huge Tyron Taylor fan, but he's a better bench outfield option than MJ. Melendez. But they've been able to run with Sodo Bennginewing, And I think that's like your outfield for the next five years.
Speaker 1: So right, yeah, I think I don't know. I look at you said, there's a lot of marks against him, and there are I think I don't know that I loved Freddy Peralta as as the acquisition, like what they needed him to be. To me, he was not an East because of the games and stuff like that. I don't even necessarily need an ace. I didn't mind them getting him, but I didn't think he was like the answer right for the rotation, I think, But I think I generally liked it.
Speaker 3: I just I mean, I think they had a good rotation going into the season, and then McLean has been on more and even than you would have hoped, and Holmes got hurt, right, So that's how you're they've had to Like, Mania has been better recently in shorter outings they've moved on from Peterson. Christian Scott's been pretty good. Yeah, all in all, although he's more of that like five inning guy at the moment. But he's also coming off Tommy Johnson. That might be part of it as well. Yeah, like they found I'm not particularly worried about the pitching going forward.
Speaker 1: I guess I was gonna say, like, I generally think the process is pretty defensible. I think he's taken some gambles that I don't know that I love, but I understood, right. I don't know when the Luis Robert Gamble, right, but you knew it could end up like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I guess my question would be, where were they getting a better, better pitcher than Freddy Perolta this past offseason?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't, I don't know. Yeah, it's it's a fair It's absolutely fair. Again, I think the process is pretty defensible, which is why I think this idea. I've really I feel like I've pushed back a lot on the idea that he's remotely close to getting fired.
Speaker 3: I don't think. I don't think they'll fire him, just because I think what we talked about with the turnover in the field staff is even more both more prevalent in the front office and more detrimental. Like you can just bring like, honestly, you can just bring in a new manager. This happens all the time. Well, like they shouldn't be cycling through them this quickly or firing the mid season as often as they have over the last fifteen years.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 3: You know or all, he's not even fifteen since they let Kerry Collins go. But like the front office, this part of The problem is like when Sterns came in, is you had people from like five different front offices still just hanging around under contract doing stuff like it takes time to sort through that. And like Sterens has not actually been able to bring in outside of Edward as well. I was one of his agms. He has really not been able to bring in a lot of the if he even wants to a lot of the people from Milwaukee, because they're still in Milwaukee is under contract and there's going back away as like Mark at Nazio is not inclined to do Steve Cohen any favors in terms of letting people out of contracts for promotions and things like that.
Speaker 1: Well, and they had some when Stern's left. There was like some strict stuff about how many you know, and.
Speaker 3: Like there's also you know, is the next guy going to keep Chris Gross? Is the next guy going to keep the hitting apparatus? Is the next guy going to keep? Like I mean maybe I mean you can set that like who is hiring the next guy? Is it Corn Ferry? Because I don't know if Steve Cohen, like there's Sandy Algison's not around anymore. But I'm talking about this in the minute with the Angels. I guess he could bring in I don't even know. It's a funny one to uh, you can bring in like a consultant, interim, you know, hiring guy.
Speaker 1: But what are what are the Minnesota X Minnesota guys doing? Well? Yeah, I just think to your point about you can just hire a manager like, is Andy Green going to be better than Carlos Mendoza, I think the answer is maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe, Yeah, maybe, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I think if you just went to the next guy over David after David Stearns, I think the answer is almost certainly not right. That's that's my point when I say, who are you going to get that's going to improve him? Because again, on Mendoza, it could be literally Andy Green, who was just there and before, and you know that's almost certainly not the case with Stearns. So it's a much different proposition. Ultimately, it's just a much different It's a different because.
Speaker 3: People don't understand like how much the number whatever, you knowther it's P O, B O or GM, whatever title they have, or it has to do beyond just deciding to sign Bobochet to a major league dealer. Trade for Freddy Parolta. That is the most sort of like visible stuff that they.
Speaker 1: Well, And I don't want to overly simplify the job of a manager. It's it's also a very difficult job. But like I think, if you're but you're more of a cog as if you're I don't know, you're RODNEYL. Lenaris, right, the raised bench coach. Yeah, Like the fact that they fired Mendoza mid season is probably less of a impediment to you taking that job because you know you're going to get fired eventually. Right, maybe you just want your and like there's a decent chance you'll find another, if not managerial job like coaching, like Luis Rojas is like the third base coach for the Yankees, right, Like these guys do find.
Speaker 3: Sure there's more job. But if you're you know, I don't know whoever the next like Paul Taboni is, right, are you going to want to take the like you want less? Like I think if you know, if you're Rodney Lenaris, you are cock right, if you're you know, a hot shot, thirty five year old AGM, Like do you want to go work for Steve Cohen right now? If he fires David Stearns, like in the middle of the season or even really after the season after three years, right when he had I know that NLC.
Speaker 1: I think the answer is yes, I think it is. But you might think about it. Would think about what happened.
Speaker 3: With Boston after they fired him Bloom right, they had to go They that job was almost impossible. They hired the Craig Breslow was the Cub's pitching coordinator at the time.
Speaker 1: Was not even like h and I and I gotta tell you, I do wonder if part of me'son Greg Breslow still seems very secure in his job is because who would he can't keep doing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one likes doing it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean it's awful. But but also like if you're the next again, wasn't Tiboni with the Red Sox, like you know which if you were with them, if you were Paul Tiboni with the Red Sox and they said, hey, look we're thinking about moving on from Craig, what do you think would you be like, you might want to go work for the Nationals. I'll start clean. Yeah, the last guy in the with the Nationals was there? How long was Rizzo there? Twelve years more than that. I think, yeah, I might go with these guys.
Speaker 3: And he got to come in and clean house immediately and bring in his guys and do whatever he wants, right, I don't know Steve Collin's going to let you do that.
Speaker 1: Smellon like roses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta put together a bullpen at some point, but not that. It doesn't not the hardest thing to do.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be this year, No, it doesn't. I apologize to the to the listeners for spending so much time in this. I think. I think the Mets the manager thing is very interesting to me, and the Mets are are real phrase.
Speaker 3: I'm always too interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's go to our next segment. It's it's more of the same man, Thank you for sending me an angel. Perry Mansion was fired. Uh I I saw a report. I saw a post, I should say, I saw post that said news broke of this. Well, the Angels were playing a holly Jolly Christmas over the loud speakers, which you know, and and no one has answered me, I said the person who sent it to me in a chat, I said it was it's a group chat, and someone else moved on and was like, you know, it's it that the news or whatever. And I went back and said, wait a minute, why was Holly Jolly Christmas plane in June?
Speaker 3: Are you doing like a Christmas in June thing?
Speaker 1: People do that, That's July. People do Christmas in July.
Speaker 3: But it's like actually six months apart. So it's like the mid I.
Speaker 1: Don't know we are marketing. Is Christmas in July? Is it not? Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: I mean maybe it is.
Speaker 1: It might have been. I think I think Molly Jolly was being interviewed somewhere at the time, and this is the first time I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Of Molly Jolly.
Speaker 1: She's a team president, Yes she is, but I had not I had no awareness of that prior to now, because it doesn't impact your life at all. Yeah, but now it because Mollie Jolly apparently made this decision. Yeah, and they are hiring that way. They've hired John mose lac On as a contract. I mean, he's a consultant and the energy but he is a consultant to the organization. He also apparently has not talked to Lady at any point I would be saying this. I think that's a great idea, and I was John Mosella, I would have said one, I will take this to talk first on my consultant contract. You know.
Speaker 2: The thing is that, like I don't think he has to worry about speaking Artie Marina. I think the worry is about Marty Marina speaking to him.
Speaker 1: But my point is no contact, no contact. You know, it all happens through Molly Jolly. That's fine whatever.
Speaker 2: I had a choice of writing between. I was like, do I write about Indozer, do I write about an Asian? And I I'm rather right about Asia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: The Mendoza stuff. The Mindoza's story feels like a beat writer story, like we are going to find out the details when the beat writers extract the details, and that's what they're there for. And I'm glad they're doing this.
Speaker 1: They're actually there to imply David Stearns is to blame and yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh this is this is just the angels, the angels being the angels, and so yeah, I wrote about this. This is a good move for them. It is not not in terms of what I want or what you want, or what Angels fans want, but as far as what the angels want.
Speaker 3: No, I think this is actually like good for the Angels. Maybe good for the Angels.
Speaker 2: I think it will bring them back to the ninety loss three million fan status that the Angels want to be in. Yeah, they want to be like they are evil Rockies. The Rockies couldn't do it anymore. The Angels think they.
Speaker 3: Can and doing it though I do.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. You talk about the evil Rockies, but like the Angels are just living firmly in the Rockies zone at this point.
Speaker 4: I just came up.
Speaker 2: They're just not doing They're just like letting the building crumble and letting the ac fall apart, and they're like they're like they want to be the Rockies, but like doing a little less work.
Speaker 3: Yeah. This came up in the Frali kids discord. I think because like the Median and modal age and there's thirty seven years old, but people talking about, like again, the Angels were so good when I was younger, right, like you know the Garrett Anderson Vlad Guerrera, like they won a World Series. They were a pesty playoff team and they always played the yank They famously were like the Yankees bugaboo and like what happened, and I'm like, well, like Ardy Morino bought the team in literally two thousand and three, and like there's been some there was some carryover from the old regimes for a few years. Yeah, and then Mike kept running the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's wrong to say he's done nothing, since he's clearly done some stuff. Yeah, but like essentially he's just as Patrick said, like he's just letting letting stuff. It's a lot like like in Washington, d C. And there was a big deal made about it because there was like a crash and stuff, but like they just didn't do any maintenance for thirty years on the meta. Yeah, they just were like, it's working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they should have done. All they had to do was painted blue and we've been fine.
Speaker 1: It turns out, well that's a different that's not the matter. But yeah, you just don't do maintenance for thirty years and everything seems fine and then yeah, yeah until it breaks. Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 3: But it's like with like hurricane, with a superstorm, sandy or whatever, like they just like, oh, yeah, these pumps have been working since eighteen ninety in the subway, it's probably fine, yeah.
Speaker 1: Probably, Yeah, And then you turn out you have to you have to actually have the pumps work. Yeah, and then you know, yeah, it does. It feels a lot like that that he's.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, like obviously, like Mike Trout, no Tani covered for a lot of this over the it's easier to only.
Speaker 1: Lose ninety accomplish anything.
Speaker 3: Well, it's easier to lose only ninety when you have Mike Trout. There is a floor there.
Speaker 2: Imagine the Rockies with a Mike Trout.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I still I look at this stuff and like, I don't know that I've hated at the time that they've that man and made a ton of these moves, like Robert Stevens, like you got the robertson some of them, Patrick, you you listened a lot and like it's a lot of money spent for very little production.
Speaker 2: To summarize, it's three hundred million dollars and they got for warp.
Speaker 1: It's ratio how.
Speaker 3: Much of that It's like most of that is Anthony Rendall.
Speaker 1: No, that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Before n down is less money than that and also more work than that.
Speaker 1: Right, But yeah, so you can you can go down the.
Speaker 2: List, right, the Robert Stevenson deal, you know, and he got Yeah, Tyler Anderson.
Speaker 1: I look, I will I have to grow on that. Again, I'm saying I didn't hate it at the time. I didn't hate it at the time. He had come off the year with the Dodgers and I and whatever, and he's and he was bad. He was awful, especially on our work. But he was awful and that was bad. But I didn't think they jumped the market on that one. I remember that signing came in like November. That deal is the best one of the bunch. Ok. Yeah, again, I didn't hate the Kakuchi one. I didn't hate Anderson. I should have. That's that's wrong, right, Like that's wrong. But Iglesias is probably fine.
Speaker 2: Glasius is fine, except they they decided it wasn't fine a year and a half into the four year deal got out of it, and that was great for the Braves, like whatever value they got out of it.
Speaker 1: But I don't that that felt a lot. Yeah, I agree, Like the trade was, Yeah, that was was. It was weird.
Speaker 3: The Brandon marsh for a happy deal isn't looking great right now either.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's that's tough one. Yeah yeah, but yeah, like a cinder guard blatantly bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that was that was not the only team to make that mistake, right and not it wasn't even a terrible punt at the time. No, it was like, yeah, yeah, because they signed him like he.
Speaker 1: Was before the Dodgers tried it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they signed They probably gave him too much money, but you probably had to give him too much money to get him to come to Anaheim.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't hate the Travis Darnault thing. We all said, that's like the premium backup catcher thing, just awful. It ran Carlos Estevez again, like not he's been better. I mean, you do this with relievers, but like they've all been It's too much money to relievers for a bad team, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like on a theme, it's a problem, and maybe the trades are are a problem, but it just this is another one where I'm just like, I don't know that I hated all of these, but like it really has not worked out and well.
Speaker 2: And even tho it's one year deals. Like the other thing is that like the connotation about the Angels is that they essentially ran out of money and had to give a lot of one year deals to kind of reclamation projects. Uh, and they've reclaimed none of them, like they've like it's yeah, and they either hit on a free.
Speaker 3: Agent right and like you can also like I've written a lot about their drafting and player development strategy over the years, but you can't have this many high first round picks and only get like Zach Nettow, who's a nice player, probably a first division starker out of it.
Speaker 2: Right, Nolan Chohan will yeah is he's one hundred and five ps plus and he will be for the rest of time. Yes, it doesn't matter where he went or how it went there, Like that's how.
Speaker 3: He would have the second overall pick, and they took Tyler Bremner, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean there was there was the the all uh, the all picture draft.
Speaker 3: There's the all picture draft.
Speaker 2: Right, the shaping themselves for finally strategy.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't say they're finally getting something out of Debt Meurs. They have returned Debtmers to what he was in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: And it's about agent you get something out of story like Soriano. Yeah, I know there's been some backslide this season, but like it looks legitimately good. Yeah, Debtmers looks legitimately.
Speaker 3: Robert Uringa has been I don't know if he's actually a starter long term, but has been a decent and up starter for the miss year.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Again, so much of this there's there's the same kind of discussion from Mendoza to Stearns as there is from Manasium to Marino. And that doesn't excuse the poor job done by by Manasim right, Like I'm not I'm not trying to say putting.
Speaker 3: I think probably firmer guardrails in there than Stearn's west of Mendoza.
Speaker 1: Sorry, say that again.
Speaker 3: I think Moreno probably has firmer guardrails for Mansi And then Stern said for Mendoza, right, And.
Speaker 1: We'll never know for sure, but probably yeah. I just it's it's and it's easy to say, let's all point this to to Marino, but there are there are gms who have worked for bad owners who have made things work right and sons was Now who are the gms who have made things work for Marna?
Speaker 2: But the Jaya Poto and Billy Upy both got jobs right away.
Speaker 1: I surprised that Harry Man gets a job. I'm not saying a GM job, but he'll get might be somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I just like he also kind of like jumped. This was a pretty not as uh not.
Speaker 1: As fast as they promote people through their farm system.
Speaker 3: Well not not as big a jump as like Breslow, but it was still a bigger jump than you would normally expect to get into the big chair. And I get like all these guys have egos like they think, oh, I can make it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and like the Angels like want in a GM.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the end, the Angels were starting for such a low base, like everywhere operationally when he came in, like there there should have been more like layups than there actually ended up being. Yeah, so of that might be moreno than what he can actually allow him to spend money on him outside of the major league team.
Speaker 1: I do also wonder I would love to know more details about what what it is that moreno does that that hamstrings these guys so much. Right, Look, we know we know some stuff. He he went in and put a put the kaibash on a deal that would have said Andy Pajyes and Jack Peterson and others to Anaheim for Luis Ronhifo and one other guy way back when we know he did that. We know he sometimes just goes and meets with Scott Boris or someone else and signs signs an impact.
Speaker 2: One of the lawns to just be and yes, work around for for agents.
Speaker 1: We know he does that sometimes. I'm sure he says. You know, Patrick, you pointed this out, like they do find in attendance rights.
Speaker 2: Get tickets, and they have a big market and and they.
Speaker 1: Get they get some names and you know whatever. But I would love to know specifically what it is that hamstrings guys so badly. I look, I suspect Jeff Well, we'll make a face. I mean for saying this. I don't think Perry Manzing is like dumb, right, like he's a dumb get sure I do. I will point out, you know, Riley Breckenrich, who read our annual essay and runs productive outs like has pointed out they just kept u like the injury stuff was very weird, as it is in the Organs going through stuff like this, as it has been for the Mets before too. But we're still looking three weeks later, we're still looking at it like we're still waiting for the results and it's like, well, what the hell is going on? So you know, maybe he's dumb in some other areas. I don't know, but you know, bad at this, But I don't know. It wouldn't surprise me if he was competent somewhere else. Sure, So like, okay, it goes back.
Speaker 3: To Moreno, but what he you can't like he's been trying to sell that.
Speaker 1: Lorena was also gonna be there for the next guy there is there is.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is how I concluded the piece, like there is a path forward under Marina, and that is that you spend well on veterans like Breno was clearly willing to. They spent money pay rolls like fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Or something this year.
Speaker 3: It's it's a right that it was ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Sure, and and yes, you're not going to build a winner out of it. But if you want a five hundred teen that people want to come to the stadium for, if you want to make the Angels, Mazella is not a bad fit for making.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's just gonna he's gonna be I mean, he's going to.
Speaker 1: It's a real choice to take the guy who the Cardinals, who had been one of the model franchises for years and years, had three straight losing seasons and said we need to re sign a guy to slowly transition from this guy and to modernize everything about our our organization. And and then say, like for the Angels, they say that's the guy that but they do I think they truly would love to be this this is the being the two thousand, but they're going to be the twenty twenty four Cardinals. They don't know that. They think the other ones.
Speaker 3: So the thing about bringing in Mazaliac, like you don't want to buire your GM right before the draft and the trade deadline, right, but Bazaliak like will relate fine to the scouts, the long tender scouts that run the draft for them. And he's basically said in its pressure, like I'm not going to get super involved anyway. And as far as the trade deadline goes, Moreno said he's not trading anybody so worried about that, Like he doesn't have to try to figure out how to trade read Debt Meurs and Jose Soriano and whoever else because they're not getting traded.
Speaker 1: They really should they should, Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: But it is going to be a very weird trade deadline. Yeah, yeah, I think I think Mazzeliak is going to be like heavily involved in hiring the next GM there, and I suspect you're gonna hear a lot of names from the Cardinal's front office that aren't hind Bloomer and haven't been brought in by hind bloom Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, that'll probably be like Randy.
Speaker 3: Randy Flores is an a like Jeff Flesher mentioned ready Flores Already, Randy Flores is a much better GM than the Angels probably would have been able to get on their own. Even then it's the Angels.
Speaker 1: But if you're a Randy Flores, why would you take this job?
Speaker 3: Well, at a certain point, about.
Speaker 1: If you're the next hot shot whoever he is, but he's not anymore, if the if the other option is, I mean, would you go work for Steve Cohen if the other option is Ardi Moreno, But at.
Speaker 3: A certain point, like you're gonna you gotta take the job in front of you, right's been close a couple of times but hasn't gotten it. And you're only the hot GM candidate for so long until there's another younger, hotter GM candidate.
Speaker 2: The two safest jobs to get are the one with a lot of runway, like say the Nationals. Yeah, or one where perimids and worked for five and a half years without.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get your.
Speaker 3: Time and look already might sell that team in the next couple of years. He's been trying to He.
Speaker 1: Has has been trying. Yeah. So the last thing on a rundown and before we go to to a break, says how bad a job is?
Speaker 3: No, really bad, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, well, if you're gonna rank it, uh, I.
Speaker 3: Think this is probably the worst number one baseball ops job you can have.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying to argue, I'm I'm looking. Who are who are your contenders? Well, the Rockies, the Marlins.
Speaker 3: The Marlins are the Marlins. You generally get left alone within your.
Speaker 1: Budget, Well you can the Angels, you get left alone.
Speaker 3: Your no like moreno is more like nobody like Bruce Sherman does not care what Peter Bendix is spending in the draft right or where he's how like his draft.
Speaker 1: The Rockies will leave you alone.
Speaker 3: They I mean they'll leave you alone. But also you can just go but not literally any person can go for your head to get an answer from the owner.
Speaker 1: So so here's what I would say. I understand where the ORG is now is not remotely comparable. But the Pirates job, I think, yeah, job, Yeah, the ORG is in a much better position. I think it's a comparably bad like.
Speaker 3: I think that's the shift situation. Yes, but there's yeah, there's more med Lane than like the Marlins.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Here's the hot take Reds. I think within a year or two it might be the Orioles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a it's not a bad shout because I I also the athletics I think is miserable as well. Yeah, that's the other one, but I think also clearly preferable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you also have like Vegas on the size and they're like, I think they'll probably the money on the Horizon on the horizon, but I think they'll probably like you.
Speaker 1: Have to figure out how to be the not the lesser Antilles, but the lesser Rockies in terms of pitching staffs.
Speaker 3: Right, But I think they'll actually like the Horizon. I think they'll spend money to make a show of it for the first couple of seasons out there, Like you'll have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: I just think I think having to having to talk to John.
Speaker 3: Fisher just no, that's the same with already Marina. But you also like you're at least and I don't think they're making a front office move anytime, particularly soon, Like you would be inheriting a very good offensive corps if nothing else. Yeah, I like this is then Zach Medow, Nolan Shahnawell and Joe Adell right like this.
Speaker 1: Is it's at least Nick Kurtz, It's at least.
Speaker 3: Nick Kurts like, look, Sodershrim has been good, has he? Yeah, he's been like twenty five. You got a bad start and he's been a lot better.
Speaker 1: I remember the bad start. That's why I wasn't look. I also I would caution to to to all the owners listening to this podcast. It's not But I think one of the lessons here is I think not long ago you could have looked at at the Nationals and said they were bottom five jobs in that you would want. And what the what the Learners have done after not selling a team? Take it take a hint, are you right? Is they hired someone who knew what they were doing. They let them run the team, and they've stayed the fuck out of it.
Speaker 3: And he's not going to do any of those things.
Speaker 1: No, he's not going to do any of those things. But but again, a year ago, having this, we might have had this discussion. But if we had this discussion a year ago, I think you would have put them That's what I'm saying. I don't. Maybe we did, but I don't remember, but it would have been pretty far down there. Right. They had all sorts of timeline issues. They still kind of have the timeline issues, but you can you can sell it a little bit more given the results thus far.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And and the reality is I never would have thought that the learners would let whoever came in and took over do the modernization spend the way that they need to spend.
Speaker 3: On that quickly, like immediately, the first immediately, And.
Speaker 1: It's just look, do I think it automatically bears fruit like this in most situations. No, I think they've they've there was a lot of low hanging fruit that they've been able to pick and all that stuff. But even that being said, I don't think it's a guarantee you get results like this this.
Speaker 3: Quickly as.
Speaker 1: They let them find out. So that was the last note. Let's take a break. We'll come back with the rest of Welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty eight of five and dive segment three. Hey, now you're an All Star. You guys are gonna have to talk me through some of this. I've not kept I barely keep up with All Star voting anyway.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that song has come out closer to the moon landing than today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, almost cool, thank you, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it is like it was like what ninety six, Yeah, I think it was ninety six or ninety so it was.
Speaker 2: It was thirty years ago and the moon landings twenty seven years yeah, from ninety six. Yeah cool. Thanks, all right, So yeah, it was an All Star game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ernie Clement is going to the Ernie Clement as it was the highest vote getter in the al matching show. Heyo, Tani in the NL real like all the stars are here. Norm McDonald, Yeah, I don't. I don't know, like I assumed I should say that when it's all obviously the Jays have stuffed the ballot box. They have an entire country to do it with, and I just kind of assumed, like, Okay, there's going to be a backlash when it gets down to the right the head to head voting, Like, but Ernie Clement, of all the Jays, Ernie Clement got the most vote, so he will guarantee it a All Star spot.
Speaker 1: Where where does this fall on the on the spectrum of Eric Soguard is the face of baseball omar and is the starting what was the start going to be the starting All Star second baseman as the worst player in baseball when the Royals just what did they start? Like seven? Yeah, nine guys that I mean, that's what I.
Speaker 3: Think brought in the new Yes, real and like Clement has been fine, right.
Speaker 1: And it's a weak position.
Speaker 3: That it's a weak position. He's been fine. It's not I mean, I don't think.
Speaker 1: It's a position. But he is the number one overall.
Speaker 3: Yes, I don't right, Like I don't like I would understand more if it was Lad because you would also have people outside of Toronto just being like, oh, Vlad Guerrero. He's he's cool, right, like not thinking about it too much, but obviously maybe he's getting less votes from the Jays that already Clement.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're probably mad at him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I don't understand the exact like mechanisms here. And like again, I don't super care about the All Star Game in twenty twenty six, which I don't know if that's the problem for baseball but large or not. But it's just very it is a little Eric Sogardy right, like, I mean, he's a better player than Eric Sogardy. But you know, I don't know should we be concerned that like this has become kind of like the All Star Game vote has become kind of a bit.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think it's so hard for me to care about the All Star Games, which, as you're saying, is maybe maybe that's a problem. I don't know that it is. I don't think anyone cares about any of the sports all Star games? Is America too online?
Speaker 3: The very yes, almost assured, Yeah, absolutely, there's too many posters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I it's I don't care. I don't care about this.
Speaker 2: This is democracy, this is how it's. Yeah. But then even when the ex you go back and whenever I like look at like past whenever I do like an old T and eighty four or something like that, I look at old R Star games I'm like the experts weren't any better at it, right, like time curdles all of.
Speaker 1: These Well, to your point, it was the most deserving Ezekiel Durn probably in terms of al second basement Jazz right.
Speaker 3: Has better, at least recently. I mean, he's got his own problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, he's his problems are more notable.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean he said worse than earning Clement. Now again, this this also goes back to what is the point of the All Star game? Right? Like Joe always writes about this, is it a star? Is Ernie Clement a star?
Speaker 3: I mean I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe the brief moment when he slid across home plate and his helmet came off and.
Speaker 3: He very very.
Speaker 1: And he literally set the record for hitts in A playoffs. So sure, but he's a star.
Speaker 3: And who.
Speaker 1: Nobody but Duran is not winning the position. He's Ernie Clement is the top a L vote getter. There are other stars in the a L. Right, Like the problem Ernie get the most votes among al right, exactly, that's that's the difference. Yeah, yeah, but is it like again to your point, like, is this a problem? I know, whatever, So like, no, it's fine, let's get it's weird, but it's fine. Yeah, do we want to Is there anything else to talk about? The All Star Game?
Speaker 3: We might get a little more out of that than we did, but I guess no one cares enough.
Speaker 2: We could talk about what is the All Star Game?
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: This is there's been a little like I feel like the All Star Game?
Speaker 1: Is U?
Speaker 3: Is it on Netflix again this year?
Speaker 2: It doesn't help right.
Speaker 3: Now, but is more interesting? Right? I would rather watch Junior Camonaro in the home run Derby than the All Star Game. Oh yeah, even if they're changing the roles back.
Speaker 1: We talk about and liken't I think it's miserable. Yeah, I think it's stupid. The clock was the clock was one of the best things they ever did. If you go back and and I understand this is like any so that the Homers also counts as a swing, which they didn't used to, which is why it took forever. I don't think that's that's that is an improvement from the old system, the old old system, But they just needed to shorten the clock well, and there was too much time.
Speaker 2: I didn't want the pitching to be such a major factor in it, right, you had you had.
Speaker 3: Guys, how fast you get rid of But they were.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, you don't. You know, some way I'll have.
Speaker 3: A Lonzo's cousin and you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: They also cocked it all up with with like the if you hit this many balls over this.
Speaker 3: Distance down they made it too complicated.
Speaker 1: Making it complicated Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: Like, I guess this will make it easier for them to film. They were actually having trouble tracking the balls in the last few years.
Speaker 1: I feel what they should do is.
Speaker 2: Just make everybody in the in the outfield stands wear a different colored shirt and it's just to get points based on which color which is the ball.
Speaker 1: Honestly, would probably be better. Yeah, I don't know. I don't think it's gonna be it as much as it was an issue tracking the ball, over seeing the next pitch or whatever. It was man right, like you'd get that. I didn't like the number of cuts rivaled a cooking show on Food Network, which is never a good thing, but it the stagnancy of waiting and like having the guy watch a pitch and wait and then take a swing and then gather themselves and wait like that is gonna be worrying, is my prediction. I still think it's gonna be. I don't know. I don't think that's an improvement. All right, let's go to second and four around the horn. Jeffrey, you kept putting in the chat. I did not track this at all. I didn't get home until after this game finished. So uh, Yankees frauds.
Speaker 3: Let me get the exact quote that Aaron Boone had after the Yankees got mopped they lost four straights to the Boston Red Sox. Boone on not letting this snowball. That's what we do.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 3: You gotta love this stuff. You gotta eat this stuff up. It's a sickness. That's what the grind is. We got a really good freaking team. We played crappy on this trip. Feels bad, kind of pissed off, but it's what we do. Car Carlos Mendoza's mentor.
Speaker 1: To be clear, we couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: I want to like we get this, like we get a dramatic reading by Tim Robinson.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, we need snapping behind.
Speaker 1: Look wouldn't you rather that? I mean, like, I don't. It feels there's some Tello said that I think it would be awful. Aaron Boone says it.
Speaker 3: And it's hello, you're oh, you're sweet?
Speaker 1: Yeah corny and it.
Speaker 5: Is like boom but like, yeah, there's the samages in the box. Guy, I think you want got a bit. Yeah, this is what Patrick's talking about. His bit is like corny ship like lost.
Speaker 3: Four straight to the twenty twenty six red Socks that are now.
Speaker 1: And that's played bad and behind kissed off and you've gotta you want to be a sick oh, Craig, you gotta eat this ship to and move on to the next.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you definitely need you definitely need to wait this question. Right, you were as a manager. Your team is going to lose four games in a row to a terrible team. Yeah, uh once or twice a year and you were It's like, it's like when someone in the office asks you how you are and you have to have a couple like you have to decide without telling them how you actually are because you don't want to talk to them. You've got to come up with a snappy yet original way of saying how you are that ends the conversation. You need to end this conversation. You need to you need an answer that goes I acknowledge that this has taken place, and I would like to talk about something else.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I had a senior vice president many years ago who would always answer that question, I couldn't possibly be better, which is like both annoying but also a good way to.
Speaker 1: You don't want to you don't want to ask another one. It's enough words. Yeah, it's like it breaks the flow of.
Speaker 6: All you can say to that is like, all right, I'm going to keep walking like I'm not like if I think about this, you too long, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to talk to someone who couldn't possibly be better. And also always like it's always still tied for first guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the cal ripkin of doing well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unbelievable. That's that's a solid answer, Now I do I kind of I don't know what do you want him to say?
Speaker 3: Maybe not exactly that in that phrasing and that order, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think as far as manager answers go in the situations, it's it's like not bad.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's actually more Will Ferrell and old school like that way, the dramatic reading you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's real harm.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it's like that kind of it's not laid back enough, it's not jazzy enough.
Speaker 1: I think I think Will Ferrell in Old School is a good shout.
Speaker 3: Like that where his shoulders are back and he's up in like a higher register than normally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or possibly even Will Ferrell from from kicking and screaming the Will Farrell one to elsewhere. Wyatt Langford is back on the I l for the for his place EXAs Rangers. Yeah, you guys did talk about him.
Speaker 3: He'd been very good since coming back off the IL last time a real heater or how many games? It's like two weeks.
Speaker 1: I think it was two weeks. Yeah, I just I was I caught up on the plane ride back when I wasn't watching Project so Mary and Uh. I was just like, oh, they're talking about why at Langford being good and like I know he's on the ile. Yeah, yeah, he was OS plus. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As it turns out, he's just good. Every year he's just not maybe he'll play one hundred third can he play one hundred and thirty four games exactly?
Speaker 3: Again, he was back for almost exactly three weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Texas Rangers.
Speaker 2: Oops, all seekers.
Speaker 3: Yeah is it?
Speaker 1: Oops?
Speaker 3: Yeah, design Evan Carter of course play again. Yeah, back off the il.
Speaker 1: For how long?
Speaker 3: That's a good question. Maybe is he Gil Durant will make it as a left fielder to the All Star Game at this point?
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: I will say why at Langford in June, which is covers the three weeks that he played three seventeen, three seventy one, six thirty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very good, that's very good. Yeah, I mean you guys, you guys covered this. But Josh Young really good, Jake Berger.
Speaker 3: Solid good enough, Peter Peterson good enough.
Speaker 1: Durroan good enough, Jack Peterson very very good. I mean he is a DH but Jack Peterson, yeah, justin foscue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the correct way of saying is age like just the tone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I as I continue my bit for last week, you're describing a five hundred team.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, right, no, and you I laughed. I laughed at that, and it's correct. I mean, that's all. That's all correct. You're describing a five hundred team in five hundred is good enough? Right now?
Speaker 3: The Astros only a game out of first now, I think, uh.
Speaker 1: The Astros are a game out. Parers are half game out, the Athletics are two games out. This is such I kept thinking about this. We'll listen, and I know I talked to that. It's just such a weird season.
Speaker 3: The Ale Central is getting a bye in the playoffs. I feel like the A.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think it's right. I know I've said this before, but I don't know that I'm right to say, like, is this what people want out of parody? But like, none of the this is almost like our good are like really supposed to be good or like even And the bigger problem is, I think it's great when a team that isn't supposed to be good is good. I don't think it's believably good.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is a parody. I think this is just a weird thing. I don't think this is specifically like if.
Speaker 1: This is kind of what people want out of parenty, I guess that it's all like you don't know, and it just just happened.
Speaker 3: But none of them are good, right, none of these people.
Speaker 1: Are bothering me? Right? The Dodgers are good, right, like the the Brewers are good.
Speaker 3: It would be a good story if the A's were actually good and won that division, right, yes, but if they win it by going by winning like eighty four games, I don't think they'll actually get to but like if they did hypothetically, like it doesn't feel as good. I understand that, But I think this is just a weird year.
Speaker 1: It is definitely it's just a weird year.
Speaker 2: There are four teams in the American League about five hundred.
Speaker 3: Right now, right like this like two unusual. And look, the Mariners have had a lot of injuries, right like, especially on the lineup side of things. Good, but like also like it's not that like so if the Mariners hadn't actually been good last year, we'd just be like, oh, this is the Mariners, Like this is what the Mariners do.
Speaker 2: Oh, we can still do that.
Speaker 3: We can still do that because it's only been like like the twenty twenty five suddenly looks like the outlier.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be really great when MLB has four out of six AL teams be eighty four wins or less in the playoffs, and I don't know how many in the NL. The NL's better, but it's still gonna be like eighty like multiple eighty seven win teams in the playoffs, and then they're gonna it's just gonna be mediocre fest in the playoffs, and then they're gonna go into a lockout and then put in peril their twenty twenty eight media rights that they all bundled for that year. It's just gonna be spectacular to go into a nothing off season that they're gonna have this this labor debate over coming off in a season in which you can't credibly say more than like three teams in the entire league are any good?
Speaker 3: Right, like what we definitely need to It's like Cardinals Guardians World Series while they're trying to say we need a salary cap, right, Yeah, very don't do in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure they were one of the good teams, but it would still be bad for the market aspect of the argument. Elsewhere, speaking of some uh some bad, some mediocre teams, Chase the Laughter is back for the Guardians. The Guardians tied for first place, but forty four and forty Yes, surprising to me that he's back already from a I guess it's a small fracture in his ribs, but it's still a rib fracture.
Speaker 3: Can't think it's uncomfortable. Yeah, I guess it's just maybe it's a pain tolerance thing at this point, which I'm sure he's used to things hurting on his body.
Speaker 1: So I am sure he is a big deal for their lineup. As we discussed the guy's leaving, but for him to be back is certainly notable. Adley Rutchman and Dylan Beavers are back for Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Don't they need they need?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, they need them. I will.
Speaker 3: Michael Oasa said they're going to be buyers at the deadline, which I mean, I guess I did. I did see that when they're like three and a half out of a playoffs.
Speaker 1: So why not, Well, because thirty nine and forty six, they're only the.
Speaker 3: Man out three out right now? Yeah, the third.
Speaker 1: While I do believe the like this is, this is again a symptom of the weirdness of the season. I need people to know. I understand. I'm eating I'm looking bad on this right now.
Speaker 3: Right there's not even like normally you think, oh, there're seven under, but they're three out. There's gotta be a lot of teams between them. In the wild card, there's not that many. There's not that there's not There's a few, but there's not that many.
Speaker 1: I continue to look at the Orioles roster and think it I say roster, but like the good players on the Orioles and say, it makes more sense to me if they're good than the race. She really does. I don't. This is I guess, just a personal flaw. I understand that, and I understand they're not helping.
Speaker 3: You don't believe in Ben Williams.
Speaker 1: And fine, I do not leaving Ben Williams exactly, but and and look, I will struggle to believe in the Orioles as long as Samuel Bissio continues to play like through the wrist and just let him rest, please, But like this is part of my They should be buyers, the Orioles should be. I mean, I listened to this whole discussion you guys had with Colin on the Tigers, right, Like the Tigers should probably be buyers. They were, but they probably shouldn't be. Like they should be based on the roster, not the performance.
Speaker 3: If the Tigers were seven under, i'd said they should definitely be buyers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're fourteen under.
Speaker 4: That's a problem.
Speaker 1: They also and again thank you to Colin, they have a better run.
Speaker 3: Ru Well, the White Sox one just went up by a lot.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, so uh let me see where. Oh and Carter, we mentioned that you have a couple of call ups Jeffrey in uh In in Cooper Ingle speaking of the Guardians, I.
Speaker 3: Guess he's gonna stick out. He had been dhing. I wonder if he's going to stick around. I don't think he was a move for the laughter, but.
Speaker 1: No, it was p D helping.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, right is helping.
Speaker 1: Previously mentioned p D helping was the move for the latter and I'm gonna it's Miguel Yolaola Yes for the Astros. Right, he's still with this.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's a reliever now too. So I mean, look, they need a reliever.
Speaker 1: Do you do you have any Do you wanted to quick run down at least on Ingle?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Ingle is a catcher by trade, although he has started getting some He played a little corner outfield in college. He started getting a little more corner outfield time in Triple A this year. I'm sure, just to keep flexibility. He's a perfectly fine defensive catcher, which should be a perfectly adequate hitter, you know, He's generally run pretty high batting averages in the minors. I think given his swing rate and contact rate, that might not hold up in the majors. He's the ball reasonably hard like it's a very somewhere between ninety five and one oh five ops plus catcher kind of profile that can also play a few other spots and be an average hitter, which is something that the Guardians need because they well, you would want better than that in left field or DH. They don't necessarily have that in left field and DH right now. And he's always it's good fastball, good breaking ball, has not always known where it's going.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a reliever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there could be like some them Diddy air Flinta's here right where he might just figure it out a relief and be pretty dominant.
Speaker 1: Lastly, in some news that that would be a boon to a lot of people. Yeah, honestly, do people care about this for for reasons beyond player performance. But Carlos Santana has signed a minor league with Atlanta. I think he would be the oldest position player.
Speaker 2: In the league, right, I would assume, so Rowdy tells is up in the majors, So they need a new Rowdy Tells and Triple A to keep that to keep to keep Quinnette's like average age.
Speaker 3: And Tom Smith on the same roster.
Speaker 2: And they do have Carlos I love, like, I don't know what the exact number is, but that is such an old Triple A team. I think it's the oldest Triple A team obviously.
Speaker 1: Long time you brought this up. They just yeah, because they just they just like those guys, guys who would start for the Angels. All right, that takes us to our game.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this one was a user submitted game user listeners submitted game.
Speaker 1: Listening a.
Speaker 3: Podcast you acts anyway, probably good.
Speaker 2: So AJ sent this in like a couple of weeks ago, and I lost track of it because I lose track of all of them. But and then we had, you know, guests coming, so but we we haven't now, so we're going to play prices, right. AJ has supplied us with I believe twelve items that he found. Yeah, twelve items, and uh so I can play too. We're all going to guess the cost of the item and then this is.
Speaker 3: Like in team stores or eBay, what's like?
Speaker 2: So, so half of them are from the MLB Shop, four from MLB options, and two of them are from random websites as far as I can tell, Uh, So, what we'll do, we'll just all do it together.
Speaker 3: And I don't know what I would have done with that information anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, you know, maybe like factor in some inflation and I guess, I don't know. I'm not I'm not trying that hard. We'll just kind of like we'll do it as group and we'll just kind of take turns going first or whatever, justin numbers whenever you want to your first item. The twenty twenty five Los Angeles Dodgers World Series game use Dirt Jar bundle from a bundle of dirt two, three, six.
Speaker 1: And okay all their home games different games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much do you think of So this would be twenty twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Last year they played four home games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a Dodgers bundle. But they played those games. We're in Toronto. Wait, you said seven, I said, I said two, three, six and seven. I'm reading off the sheet man. Okay, so those are both home and away games.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, whatever, and they it's the ones they won, the one they want the ones they won. Okay, so it's a you get a mixed but you get get losing dirt. You get Canadian dirt and American dirt, but all victory dirt. Victory dirt.
Speaker 1: Yes, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: The description is not telling you how much of the dirt you get.
Speaker 3: What's what's killing me here is like I have the game from where they are kind of a left a slid for some reason.
Speaker 1: I have. I have browsed the memorabilia stuff after the World Series, so I know some of these costs. I have seen dirt. I have not seen a dirt, But how much I've seen dirt, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We don't know how much dirt and how much dirt and the jars.
Speaker 1: Like the like what a dirt. I've just never actually how.
Speaker 3: Much dirt is too much dirt?
Speaker 2: I guess for me we might get to that later.
Speaker 3: Eight hundred and fifty dollars fifty dollars who I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go yeah, I'm going to go with three hundred.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is this is closest without going over. I think it's just I was all set to go into one. All right, I'm gonna I'm gonna say, like seventy five bucks.
Speaker 2: Seventy five bucks. Wow, Okay, all right, art you guys, Andre Dawson Chicago Cubs.
Speaker 3: Are at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, all the answers I can, oh, you guys, I got yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Andre Dawson Chicago Cubs, autograph Fanatics, authentic black rawlings, pro bat.
Speaker 1: A Bottograph, bat audiky And I got to think back to absolutely, Andre, Andre, I'm trying.
Speaker 3: I got to think back to the autograph that was the average on that, which was like three twenty.
Speaker 1: I wrote it. I think I threw out the you were making.
Speaker 3: You still have a piece of paper on your dad two months ago.
Speaker 1: It's too it's covered by each I've got ship on my jack.
Speaker 3: I will say three hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars, twenty five or twenty five. I'm gonna take high on this one. I'm gonna go with six.
Speaker 1: Wow, he's a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: One Sodo New York Men's game. Used dirt display?
Speaker 3: What using the dirt?
Speaker 1: What is a dirt display?
Speaker 2: Used dirt?
Speaker 3: How do you know what? So touched the.
Speaker 1: Dirt, disparaging dirt repeatedly. I do want to say, like The one instance I found movie of of dirt was when they were in Oakland. When they were the franchise was leaving and people were they were shoveling dirt and for people, I thought that was amazing. I thought that was such a great thing. But otherwise, stop stop purchasing dirt.
Speaker 3: So it's just like a picture of one soda with a jar of dirt.
Speaker 1: Is that what this is? Yeah? It's what is a dirt display?
Speaker 2: Maybe they maybe the draw I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I should, but I don't know. If it's like unfair information advantage.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Two and fifty dollars?
Speaker 1: No, man, can you tell me the name of it?
Speaker 2: Greig's going ten bucks?
Speaker 1: What? What? What is the name of one?
Speaker 2: Soto New York Mets game used dirt display.
Speaker 3: So the dirt is dirt is not done, but not the one is there there?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: You know those where is the hyphen?
Speaker 2: Remember those oil and sand things? This might be too early for you where you over and then you watch the oil trick through. I think it's that, but a picture one soda behind it so that you see the.
Speaker 3: Face backlit one.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna say, fifty bucks.
Speaker 3: You would crack Creig is a anti dirt.
Speaker 1: Actually, are you displaying dirt? I think Jeff's.
Speaker 3: Where's the dirty dirt comes after the I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's what the yard is.
Speaker 2: I think Jeff's actually pretty close to this one. I'm gonna go with two hundred Washington Nationals Fanatics authentic game used lineup card versus Detroit Tigers on June eleventh, twenty twenty four. Lineup cards are weird.
Speaker 3: They are weird. I'm gonna say, like, sixty bucks.
Speaker 1: Sixty bucks, all right, I'm gonna go one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's too much for Nats and Tigers, like I know they.
Speaker 1: I feel so out of a thirty bucks. They're thirty bucks. You couldn't. No one is faying for more. Who's pain, Craig A Burger Cross thirty bucks? These days? Burger gots thirty Yeah?
Speaker 3: Nice Patler, Freida bran Land, some carolized onions, Yeah all right.
Speaker 2: Joe Adell Los Angeles Angels autograph Fanatics authentic blonde rollings pro bat.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's an autograph, bat, it's an autograph. It's Joe Adele autogratograph bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I I.
Speaker 2: Will say I think this one's two fifty.
Speaker 3: Say two wow? Okay, I was gonna say two ten, but I want to give myself a little more room, Sirs Patrick picked two fifty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you really put me in a buying Yeah that's your guess first. Yeah, well, well, wouldn't it helped? I was gonna say like two twenty five, and that's like right in the well, we are summing the differences, so you you just shouldn't guess what you think is the most.
Speaker 3: I think he's probably been either he's either winning or been eliminated by the That's right.
Speaker 1: It's all locked up one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say two twenty five. Okay, who you are? Adriga Seattle Mariners Autograph Fanatics Authentic Fielding Funko Pop Vinyl Figurine with twenty twenty two Ale Rookie of the Year inscription.
Speaker 2: Boy I autographed funko pop, so I don't think negative values count, but I would I'm tempted.
Speaker 1: I truly don't know what a funko pop.
Speaker 3: I just bought a bunch of fun pop. I bought a funko pop for another kid's birthday party.
Speaker 1: Oh I know ro no, whatever they wanted to.
Speaker 3: There wasn't a lot of K Pop demon on her stuff.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: I will say seventy five dollars.
Speaker 1: Seventy five dollars, I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say one hundred bucks. One hundred bucks. I am a yet again high man here and I'm gonna say one twenty five.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, this is the buy now price. It's this has not been bought of a twenty twenty four team issued autographed regular season locker tag for Mike Gastremsky.
Speaker 3: So I like a little like.
Speaker 1: My brain shut down midway through that.
Speaker 2: You're you're a little buying a packard with Mike Gastremsky's name and autograph.
Speaker 4: One sixty five dollars, sixty five dollars, God.
Speaker 1: I honestly can't even Yeah, it's probably right around there. I'm going to say a hundred.
Speaker 3: It might be after I said it, that might be a little low.
Speaker 1: I'll split the difference. I'm gonna say eighty bucks eighty All right.
Speaker 2: Now we're on lev so these have been you know, starting with that. When we're on auctions now, obviously instead of the shop the buy now price of a Gregory Polanco autographed helmet.
Speaker 1: Gregory read Elco el cofette, el cafe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first autographer helmet, never used.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, I didn't you know what I didn't factor in the buy now. I think Patrick's right to go high for the buy now for the helmet. M that it was weird. You know a lot of helmets. I'm gonna tell you, I want to say sixty five, but the buy now is pushing me to ninety.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say one. Hellots are rare, Like, how do I think you can display like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can display dirt.
Speaker 3: They display it for you. You don't have to display it.
Speaker 1: You can display whatever the hell you want. Apparently you could.
Speaker 2: You could print out a transcript of this podcast and then frame it and display that I want for you. I'm going to say one hundred and fifty buy now price of a twenty twenty five pair of Bryce Eldridge autographed batting gloves. Oh, Bryce Eldridge, I thought you said, Bryce elder and what the two of them really should do?
Speaker 3: Get Outldridge. There's some prospect she in there, and that usually like is from his rookie year as he stole a rookie technically that's my first season.
Speaker 1: I'm going three fifty.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's too much. That the batting gloves one seventy five.
Speaker 1: Seventy years did you say? Twenty twenty five? Okay, okay, so it's not mine released twenty three five autographed batting gloves. What did Jeff say? He said, one seventy five. That's so expensive.
Speaker 2: The funny thing is that as the poorest member of this group, all of the prices are too expensive.
Speaker 1: So I'm just like, they're all, yeah, they're all no, they're all insane. But I can't even I uh, one twenty five.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help that I'm reading Wadhouse right now, so I'm just like, yeah, what would what would Bertie Booster.
Speaker 1: Pay for this? All right? Last auction?
Speaker 2: It is a buy now price and a Los Angeles mystery Los Angeles Angels mystery game used or team issued broken bat, so the sandular theory about broken bats applying here.
Speaker 1: Hard to display, the mystery being we don't know who You don't know who is it.
Speaker 3: They know they won't tell you.
Speaker 2: We don't know who signed it. Is sure that once you open it up, it will tell you this player broke this authenticated and fouling off this pitch, But you don't get to know.
Speaker 1: Is it? You know?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Could it be?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Was it Travis Darno? Was it Nolan Seanwell, yeah.
Speaker 2: You're lucky like you. That's a seventy.
Speaker 1: Outcome? Gustavo Campo? Was it Adam Braisier?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Uh? Was this bat mechaled by the Mechler? I have no idea. Oh I thought it said the year.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I did not.
Speaker 3: This is so this is a buy now it could be could be stay then?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think the mystery I think tends to be under yeah bucks yeah, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Five and I'm gonna go seventy five. I think this is the low one mystery. Bad mystery ones always go low.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I thought one twenty five was fairly low for it. Yeah all right.
Speaker 2: Last two are specific websites. You're gonna love these. Uh, the Lena Blackburn Original Baseball Rubbing Mud Professional size. You get four pounds of rubbing mud. How much do you think four pounds of rubbing mud cup? First of all, you have to decide how much volume just four pounds rubber.
Speaker 1: More than dirty?
Speaker 2: How many baseballs could you rub with four pounds of my rubbing mud?
Speaker 1: Is I think this is an existential question. Is not worth more than dirt?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna like, can you just each other very easily?
Speaker 2: Can you?
Speaker 1: Can you play the jar?
Speaker 3: You're just in a jar so you can put it on a shell.
Speaker 1: I assume that this is not for four pounds in a jar, Jeff, I think this has got to be in a tub.
Speaker 2: I mean, fairly, it's been how much water content is in the mud really, like if it's real wet mundy.
Speaker 1: These are the real questions. At what point does dirt become mud? That's it?
Speaker 3: I mean a gallon of milk is like four pounds, isn't it sixty four pounces?
Speaker 1: I do, I do not.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you get milk in a jar? Do you get a gallon of milk?
Speaker 3: And you're just saying that it could be about the same patrick gallon.
Speaker 2: Somebody has to carry that milk.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad it can circle back to that anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was thinking, actually the exact same price on it.
Speaker 1: You can say the same price. You're allowed.
Speaker 3: Four pounds of you can say fifty one if you want. I think it's we're doing very round numbers here.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna say seventy five dollars. Okay, somehow I heard them.
Speaker 3: I'm high in the dirt.
Speaker 2: Here we go. All right, this is the final exam of our dirt focus quiz. Yeah great, this is dirt edge coffee right classic infield mix.
Speaker 1: It's a super sack. It is two thousand pounds of dirt. What how much do you want to pay for two?
Speaker 3: You can't display that much dirt, I'm so I just gotta say, like, how, like, how super is this sack that it gets a ton of dirt?
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a jar? What if it was a super jar of dirt?
Speaker 2: Split it up in a couple sacks?
Speaker 3: How would you even?
Speaker 1: What is the point?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I know a forekleft?
Speaker 2: Like what is that?
Speaker 3: How do you open that? What do you mean you cut it open? A top of dirt just pourts out. I feel like people die on the beach when that happens, right if you try to.
Speaker 2: Do All I know is that my son would love to have a two thousand dirt This is not game US, it's before.
Speaker 3: You use the game. I assume the pregame dirt.
Speaker 2: Is the purest dirt you can get untouched. I'm sullied.
Speaker 3: But how how is this produced? If they produced this or they just they get up from somewhere? Where does this is a good question? Where column idea? Where does the nfield dirt come from?
Speaker 2: Okay, enough, put just a sprinkle of the rubbing mud in it, flavor?
Speaker 1: Hold on what it is? The difference between to eat up dirt and producing dirt? Isn't that how?
Speaker 2: I assume some sifting is involved. We have to be refined.
Speaker 1: You can just still dig it up. I mean, like you gotta make sure it's gonna be the right dirt. You can't just get clay.
Speaker 2: You can't just like go in the bag. You think your dirt is good enough to be infield dirt, don't.
Speaker 1: What are they putting nutrients into it?
Speaker 2: Well, they're selecting a certain quality of the color.
Speaker 1: And where does that come from the same place where the river is, where the mud comes from. That makes the mud so specially getting Lena Blackburn dirt. They're trying to make their own.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they're I'm sure they like we have the best dirt like this is we It's like it's like when like the old commercial like that, we've we've locally sourced.
Speaker 1: These beans of dirt.
Speaker 3: Last you did get multiple dirt orders during according to when I have to pay shipping?
Speaker 1: Important question? Do I have to pay shipping?
Speaker 3: Was not in the price? Like this price?
Speaker 1: We should probably put a number on this.
Speaker 3: I don't even know, no idea, no idea, where to begin.
Speaker 2: Is dirt a dollar a pound? I don't think it is. I'm going to say, God, I'll go first. I'll fall on the sword here and go first. I think I have a ton of dirt. It's going to set you back, like this is good dirt. Though it's good dirt, is in a dirt dirt or so you are paying for it to be good dirt. I'm going to say that this costs.
Speaker 1: Got any number? I say?
Speaker 3: Nothing feels right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to say for a ton of dirt, fills dollars for a ton of.
Speaker 3: Dirt I was thinking. I was thinking fifteen hundreds. I'm just gonna stick with that. It's expensive dirt. Like I think, Look, they're only buying there's only one place that makes this dirt. There no competition for the dirt. I feel like they can charge whatever they want. They need the dirt for the field.
Speaker 1: Look, it's dirt edge, like you're saying. If I say a thousand, you're saying, that's that's fifty. I couldn't go. I went over a pound of dirt. It's good dirt that on it feels low fifty fifty cents.
Speaker 3: Aren't just said what fifteen?
Speaker 1: You can go? Get it now? All right? What you're saying, I can't go?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're saying my dirt is garbage? Yeah? Maybe nine. I'm in your head. You're completely in my I think it's very boy sides and you're coming out in the top. I think it's very funny that I went over on on like eleven of the twelve.
Speaker 2: I might lose just because.
Speaker 3: Who knows that the dirt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so I'm gonna reveal the answers and we're gonna find out what happened.
Speaker 1: That is one hell of a sack. They didn't all right, Uh okay, so.
Speaker 2: Apparently the price of he doesn't does he have the actual I guess there's a link, but I'm just gonna go off of calculating. Uh So the game used dirt Jar Bundle from the Dodgers. It was one hundred and seventy five dollars Craig. Craig is the closest, but one hundred. I was one hundred and twenty five. Jeff was six hundred and seventy five.
Speaker 3: I'm in trouble the dirt?
Speaker 1: How much was it? The actual price it was was, yeah, one hundred and seventy five. And what I was the closest.
Speaker 2: You were the closest because you said seventy five and I said three hundred, oh, three hundred, okay, yeah, all right. The next one is the Andre Dawson autographed bat, and it seems like I have to do the math here. The price of that was two hundred and thirty dollars, so Jeff was the closest on that one hundred and twenty. Craig's one hundred ninety five off. I was three hundred and seventy off.
Speaker 1: All right. Next one is the.
Speaker 2: One Soto danger dirt displaying. This one was a one hundred and thirty, so I was closest with seven. I was said two hundred, so I was seventy off. Craig was eighty off, Jeff was.
Speaker 1: On and twenty off.
Speaker 2: The Washington Nationals game used lineup card is one hundred and seventy five dollars Jesus Christ. So I was closest.
Speaker 1: I have five off too much, that's gonna And Craig was one hundred and forty five off.
Speaker 3: Don't worry, we shall have the dirt to go.
Speaker 2: Craig Joe Adela's autographed bat was one hundred and ninety so Craig Jeff was only ten off. Yeah, that's the closest guest of anyone. Craig was thirty five off. I was sixty off. Next, the Julio Rodriguez signed Funko Pop was two hundred and seventy eighty dollars, so I was high man on that.
Speaker 1: I was closest.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The placard, the autograph placard for Mike Castrimski with one hundred and fifty dollars, So it was close.
Speaker 1: On that one. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not even those placards.
Speaker 2: It was with one hundred and fifty dollars signa Yeah. The autographed helmet by Greg's Gregor at Planko was three hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So again I was closest on that one. The Bryce Eldridge batting gloves were five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: No, five hundred dollars, So again I was closest by being the most expector. I finally my strategy finally caught up, finally caught up, although not you know, I went low on the mystery game used bat and that was a mistake because it was three hundred dollars. So the mystery used broken back.
Speaker 1: It's the angels, it's the angels.
Speaker 3: You think you're getting Mike Trout, You're not getting Mike Trout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the baseball rubbing mud. We were all pretty close. It was one hundred bucks for a four pound bucks, so Craig was closest and uh for twenty five and Jeff and I were with fifty off and finally, yeah, the infield mix. The infield mix h is four hundred and seventy eight dollars. So I was off by twenty two, good Craig and Craig was off by twenty two.
Speaker 3: And why don't we all have our own baseball field?
Speaker 2: I guess, Yeah, that's what I'm wondering, because I'm guessing the shipping costs did not get to pack it anyway. So our final score is Jeff was a total of three seven dollars off Craig was a total of two and twelve dollars off and I was one thousand.
Speaker 1: Four and fifty two dollars.
Speaker 3: It really cost me there.
Speaker 2: The dirt, the dirt.
Speaker 3: The dirt was the decide are Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was I was in last place? I miss no, you were sucking? Wasn't last? Yeah? Oh because of the dirt went on the dirt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went too high.
Speaker 1: On the dirt. Yeah. Wow, honestly something about dirt. Yeah, phenomenal game age.
Speaker 2: I'm now going to go google what is dirt?
Speaker 1: How can I produce it? What is dirt?
Speaker 2: May of any unclean substance on a surface or loose to earthy matter.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go buy that game. Use Broken Bat to prove a very important point to everyone that you shouldn't spend three hundred dollars on a game used angels, random angels when.
Speaker 2: You could you could buy two bats and then they have more than an entire ton.
Speaker 3: I can just get a Joe Adell autographed bat for one hundred dollars less than that. Who also plays with unbroken Unbroken?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has to be above median in terms of like guys you want oh yeah, well about for trout Dak metto yeah, yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: It's Anthony random would be very funny.
Speaker 3: It would be very funny because you don't know what circumstances he broke it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not game us thought, all right, well, thank you agent, I mean phenomenal choice. By the way, just finding the super sack of dirt, I mean, holy shit, really well done. Thank you to Aja, Thank you to you both for coasting this episode, and thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast network and we'll be in that feed. If you enjoy what we're doing, drop us a rating or review. You don't have to do a review. You can just do a five star rating if you'd like. We really appreciate it. Thank you again. And if you've been waiting for the pot to be over, your time is man.
Speaker 3: Vacancy still
Speaker 2: Can