Speaker 1: Judy starting Louise Ericson is Judy and John.
Speaker 2: Brown is father.
Speaker 1: Hello, Oh, hello Judy, father, how are you that you should call?
Speaker 3: I was just thinking of you. Would you like to know what I was thinking?
Speaker 4: I was thinking that of all the fathers in the world, you were my father, most adorable and becoming a becoming.
Speaker 3: Yes, And would you like to know?
Speaker 5: Wrong?
Speaker 3: I think so, I'll tell.
Speaker 4: You why I saw address today?
Speaker 3: And do you know that as soon as our late eyes from a dress, I realized how adorable and becoming you were.
Speaker 2: That's Judy, Folks, Foster the love of a teenage girl who is close to all our hearts. And now let's drop them at the Foster homes. It's a Saturday afternoon, and Judy and her mother are worried about father.
Speaker 3: Mother, I think you're utterly right. Father is working too hard.
Speaker 6: Well, I've spoken to him about it, but he keeps telling me that he can't run a business by the clock.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just terrible.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: It is late Saturday afternoon and he isn't home.
Speaker 5: Yell, poor dear.
Speaker 3: He was meeting mister Emerson.
Speaker 6: He said they had some important decisions to make this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Well, Foster, what do you think. I don't know, Emerson. It's it's a hard decision to me. Yeah, but we've got to make one, and quick too. He gets soon. Let me look at the figures again, eyah, Well ask him what I think. Who's as to win on happy lad?
Speaker 5: In the six.
Speaker 1: Happy lad? What a horse? He should be pulling a knife flag? An ice wagon is too good for him? Well we did it again, Yes, sir, Six in a row, all losers. Now, I know why they call it the flour of kings. You've got to be a king to be able to affall you're not dining both. You've also got to be a king sized dose to keep on doing it. I guess all that. Oh well, it's fun, Fern. You call this fun, losing six races in a row. Yeah, but look at the case you get when you win. Huh, when you win, that's a lad. You can't win. You will never come out ahead. But were honey is a traffic They dangled some easy money in front of your nose, but you never get it. Oh no, Surrey, it's the shortest route to the floor. I guess you're right, Post, but I know I'm right. What do you like in the seventh.
Speaker 3: Ill money, hello.
Speaker 4: Dear, ye, not your duty, oh poor father spending all Saturday afternoon with mister Emerson making difficult decisions.
Speaker 6: Mm I just hope they made a few correct decisions.
Speaker 3: Well, why only a few? Why not?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 6: Let's not be greedy, judas it'd take my word for it. They'll be lucky if they make only a few correct ones.
Speaker 3: Oh, I must say, you might have more faith in father's business ability. I must say that. Oh yes, father, illot your father, dear aye father?
Speaker 1: Hello, Oh.
Speaker 4: You poor dear, sit right down here and r that's a good idea real What happened to your voice?
Speaker 1: Fool my bo oh? Well, uh, I guess I must have done some uh shouting and shouting punt be showing about in a business discussion.
Speaker 3: Well, it depends upon the kind of business you're discussing.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 3: Well, in some businesses, when you make a decision, you feel like uh encouraging that.
Speaker 1: Decision, so you shout, Randolph.
Speaker 3: Mister Emerson shout too.
Speaker 1: Oh you should have heard it.
Speaker 8: I don't think I understand.
Speaker 1: Dear just as well.
Speaker 3: Never mind now that I think you should stop working so hard. Mother and I discussed it father, we both agree.
Speaker 6: And spending Saturday afternoons at it is carrying it too far, dear, especially when you choose the wrong.
Speaker 3: The wrong decisions.
Speaker 1: Father. Oh yeah, well, as a matter of fact, I just about the sight of that myself, he did.
Speaker 8: Father.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm glad, dear.
Speaker 6: After all, it isn't worth the extra money you might make by working Saturday afternoons.
Speaker 3: What extra money?
Speaker 1: You're perfectly right to dead, And I'll tell you something else I do out. You never make that extra money. You try to do it the quick, an easy way, but it doesn't work.
Speaker 3: You're lucky if you break even though.
Speaker 1: Father lea right.
Speaker 4: You know, I experienced a fascinating experience this afternoon, what, dear.
Speaker 3: Father, I remember that a drama breath I told you about in the phone. Yes, well this is very interesting.
Speaker 4: Smithy said it costs about eighteen dollars, and I said it to be closer to twenty five.
Speaker 3: We argued so a while, and finally I better dime. I was right.
Speaker 1: Do you what? We got a dime? Father? That was a terrible thing you did, wasn't Father, I won't. That doesn't matter. In fact, it's worse.
Speaker 3: But why I don't unus. It wasn't angry or anything.
Speaker 1: You bet, Judy, you bet? I know that, there's no excuse you.
Speaker 3: No, then I don't think Judy is any so terrible by betting a dollar?
Speaker 1: What I you see? How can you stand there and encourage your own daughter to continue? I have it as evil as better, So I.
Speaker 3: Am not encouraging Judy to bed. I know this is point, but thought I only bet a dome the tenth part of a dollar.
Speaker 1: It isn't announce, it's the principal. Even betting a penny is bad. Can't you see? It's a track? It is absolutely easy. Money is dangled in front of your nose. You win a die you didn't have to work for. It's wonderful. So next time you bet fifty cents a dollar, ten dollars, a.
Speaker 6: Hundred dollars all that father on Judy's allowance of two dollars a week.
Speaker 1: Judy, all betters end up broke in the pross.
Speaker 3: But Melvine, you bet sometimes.
Speaker 1: I used to, but I gave it up when this after, I don't mean it. I used to bet, and that's how I know you can't win, or.
Speaker 3: You must have made some pretty bad decisions today.
Speaker 1: Never mind that that has nothing to do with it. Randow, Judy, do you believe what I'm telling you?
Speaker 3: I guess her, Father, I'll give mitzi back er die.
Speaker 1: But you don't really believe it to you?
Speaker 3: J Well, I don't.
Speaker 1: All right, Judy, I'll prove it to you. I guess a person can never learn from somebody else's experience. You've got to find out for yourself.
Speaker 3: Well, how am I going to find out for myself?
Speaker 5: Father?
Speaker 3: I don't think mittya want to bet with me?
Speaker 1: Well, this is what will do to you. I'm going to give you four weeks allowance in the back eight dollar.
Speaker 3: Really, now, don't get excited, Judy. I'll bet there's a catch in it somewheres.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is. Now. Next Saturday we'll go to Sportsman's Park. I uld b by think that they have horse racing there?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 3: Father, Whatever makes you think so it?
Speaker 1: Never mind? They run eight races a day, uh, the man said, and then it will Hey, you will select one horse in each race, and you'll bet a dollar on the hawk A dollar, A whole dollar, yeah, a whole dollar.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought two dollars is the smallest bet they take.
Speaker 1: Father, that's true. But Judy isn't gonna bet at them. You children know she's going to bet against me. See, I'll cover her bet.
Speaker 3: I don't wanna bet against you, father.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 3: Well, I would rather not.
Speaker 6: I think father, that she has her doubts about getting paid off.
Speaker 3: If she wins.
Speaker 1: Is that true, Judy, Well, there's no father, heys he ran up? You were wrong, will I thought it. Don't worry, Judy, you have my word that I'll pay you if you win.
Speaker 4: Ask the prevailing odds, father, huh is that good for me?
Speaker 7: Randall?
Speaker 3: What does it mean?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: Uh, shat the odds are five to one. You win five dollars for every dollar you bet.
Speaker 1: And so on?
Speaker 3: Is that trueful?
Speaker 1: Yes, it's true.
Speaker 5: Jesus is wonderful.
Speaker 1: You see you're in the track. You smell easy money. Well that's well, mel.
Speaker 3: Then I'm opposed to the whole thing.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's right for Judy to go to the racetrack and bet on horses.
Speaker 1: Oh, I agree with you, Door. It isn't right for Judy to go to the track and bet on horses, and she won't go again. But I feel that it's worth it for her to go this once to learn about the evils of betting from personal experience. If she learns that lesson more good than harm will come of it.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, but I'm going too.
Speaker 6: I think I ought to go too, so that I can learn from Judy's experience.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll all go. Won't do any of us any harm to learn that you never get anywhere by trying to get the easy way. Next Saturday afternoon, we're all going to Sportsman's Park. Well, here, i'll see Star not bad. I don't know why, but I'm very excited. Well, now you decide what horse you want to better?
Speaker 3: I see, and Father, how do I decide?
Speaker 1: Well that Judy is a problem that's been troubling horse players for many years.
Speaker 6: And father is the last person in the world I would ask if I were you a Judice.
Speaker 1: Never mind that right, Not here, Judy. Here's the program which lists all the horses and he trace, and here's the racing fall.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a sort of a paper, they tell me, which gives you the record of every horse and he drinks, and what races he ran in, how he did and so him.
Speaker 3: Isn't this interesting?
Speaker 1: Uh? Huh?
Speaker 3: I don't understand it. Well, that's just as well.
Speaker 1: You want me to try to to you there, No.
Speaker 3: Thank you, father, I don't think of it.
Speaker 1: Help.
Speaker 3: It takes most people several years to find that out. What are you going to bet on, Judy? I don't know yet, mother, I'm studying the program. See Double Theater, Brave Sailors, Sandy Jag, Sweet Lady, Sweet Lady. Father, I pick sweet Lady.
Speaker 1: Sweet Lady. Why because it's such.
Speaker 3: A lovely name, don't you think so?
Speaker 5: Mother?
Speaker 1: Sweet lady it is Judy. It's lovely. You're picking sweet Lady just because you like the name? Well?
Speaker 3: Can you think of a better way?
Speaker 5: Father, lady?
Speaker 1: Oh, I bet see. I see you're sure that's the horse you wanted? Yes, oh, now I'll show you that that horse can possibly win. Here's her record, ran eight laces this season, hasn't won one. Now. In her last race, she ran six furlongs in one minute eleven and four fifth second. And there are at least five other horses in this race who have done better time than that.
Speaker 3: Yes, father, but it's such a lovely name. I definitely want to be on Sweet Lady.
Speaker 5: Ah, but you'll be st.
Speaker 1: I'm back to big with Judy. I remember, Judy, you're betting a daughter on Sweet Lady fifteen. The one might as well be a hundred of one. Save your bread, Beauty, your husband last, Judy, he is an immissioning sweet Lady. I wonder whether sweet Lady is still in the race. What party?
Speaker 7: You're so pale?
Speaker 1: Did you? Did you see her? I saw it? Yes, you want you want you? But there are seven more races.
Speaker 3: Tell me something, what, Judy, how hard has this been going on?
Speaker 1: Well, Judy, who do you like? I mean on horses? What horse that you're betting on? The second?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I can't seem to make up my mind.
Speaker 1: I'm Sonata. Do on any of the horses have lovely names?
Speaker 3: No, father, I don't feel attracted to any of them.
Speaker 1: So we look at the horses, certainly, if you think that will help as I get tell me, well, here they are. See the jockeys always write them around them in circle before the rate. That's their warm them up.
Speaker 3: I see you, so and so?
Speaker 1: Hello Alison? Why Judy, hello the same horse drive? Thought you said you were true? Bed I am. I am here for the sunshine. I'm going to teach Judy you can't make money the easy way. She's better, No.
Speaker 3: Kiddy, that's right, mister Remson. Father gave me four weeks to hours and then, and I'm getting him a dollar rate.
Speaker 1: What why, Foster? You want to be ashamed of yourself stealing the kid's allowance. That's not what I want doing. I want from him?
Speaker 5: You did?
Speaker 1: That's a hot one? Who picks me? Lady? For you?
Speaker 3: I did it myself.
Speaker 1: What he liked? The horse's knee? No kidding? Well, who do you like in this race? Judy?
Speaker 3: I think that one? Number four?
Speaker 1: Number four? Oh, that's slow? Slow for why Judy?
Speaker 3: Look the color of the horse, not at the jockey's eyes.
Speaker 1: That's the way he picks them. Let's see slow for now. Let's see what the experts say. The tipster says here quote if this horse doesn't have an inferiority complex, yet, this race will give it to him money. Let's see. Oh, Charlie, the tout says quote phout a saddle on me, and I can beat him myself. Do you hear that, Julie? He hasn't got a chance.
Speaker 3: I have made my decision and nothing will determine.
Speaker 1: Okay, but you and yes, I know.
Speaker 3: I'm so grateful for everything you're teaching me.
Speaker 1: I tell you Emmerson, it's uncannid six races and she's won every one of the I can't understand it. It defies all the law. She's sicked by a hair and a third because she felt sorry for it. So few people are Betty and in a course. He picked school Ship because she likes mysteries. Far in the fifth, Saranac because you're reminded her of Glenn Paul, And hide Away in the sixth because get this emissary because it has long eyelashes. It's incredible, but it's pure coincidence. Foster couldn't affgan again in a millionaire here? Maybe not, but I owe her a fortune. There are only two races left. There's only one thing to do. I've got to win some money in the next two races. I thought you weren't going to better anymore. What else can I do? I don't want to pay her out of my own pocket. Yeah, well, who do you like? In the seventh let sees what about uh hot Toddy? Hot Toddy? Why? Well, it's it's such a cute name for a horse. Foster, do you mean to tell me that an old horse, rayl like yourself is going to pick a horse because he's got a cute name. Well it works for Judy. Oh you're cracking up, Foster. Well, who do you like? There's only one horse in this race? Tread easy, tread easy. Sure he can't lose. I'm going to bet heavy on him? Four dollars? How did I can? Where are you going past? Let's see how Judy feels about him?
Speaker 5: Tread easy?
Speaker 4: Oh no, father, there's nothing distinctive about him. No, no, I bet on frisky Sell.
Speaker 1: That's all of an interesting name. How do you feel about that, dude, Risky Sell.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to contradict you, mother, but that name mustn't interest me at all, not in the least got a.
Speaker 3: Horse an Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes yes.
Speaker 3: But don't you think that hot Tie is much cute?
Speaker 1: Oh I do, Judy, I definitely do. As a matter of fact, I was fascinated by the name on hot Ti O Toddy. That's fine, that's great. Excuse me, I'll be right. Goodness press your father running to you?
Speaker 3: See a man about her horse?
Speaker 1: Allison?
Speaker 3: Anison?
Speaker 1: What is it? Foster? Line's too long a way, so'll stop before I can get the mutual window, make this five dollar bet? Fo sure, Freddy's no, No, no, Hot Toddy, Hot Toddy. Are you kidding? Please? Emerson, Hot Toddy? What Foster? I can't let you throw your money away? No, but but Judy saw Lord Foster, don't be a child. They kid out a few Rocky break six in all incidents, your coincidence. Get a grip on yourself, Foster. You're a grown man. Yeah, maybe you're right. Emersons couldn't happen again the minion broom. No, Hot Toddy? Oh all right, Foster, it's your money. Yes, it's my money and I want it on Hot Toddy. You don't like Hot Toddy. It's your money, Boston. Yeah, but she likes the name. It's your money, Foster, Yeah, was she all right? Emerson's better not Freddy Easy? And that's credit.
Speaker 3: I wonder who's getting on whom and.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: I understand it's very strange. I was positive hot.
Speaker 1: He was will and he didn't That easy was because he joy. I told you you can't will all that your please cualify.
Speaker 7: The winner praise and.
Speaker 3: What were you saying? Father?
Speaker 1: It can't they can't do this. Em it's August all chill.
Speaker 3: I knew, but I knew it. And the little lady wins again.
Speaker 1: She's uncanny. Seven in a row, Foster, you tolled me off, Foster, I apologize, now, who does this charming young lady like in the eighth her? Judy tell me, huh, well, mister Jeremerson, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm going to bet on this race?
Speaker 1: What Lord, Judy? No, don't say that.
Speaker 3: We sata ows me enough much, please, Judy Melvin. If Judy wants to stop betting, she should.
Speaker 1: Talk to her. Foster. You're her father, talk to you can win more, Judy.
Speaker 3: Once more, I'd rather not take a chance time.
Speaker 1: Listen, Judy, were making the green. You are going to bet on every race, and you're going to that's final. That's telling her Fosta, Well, which one, Judy? What named you? How about easy living?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: Thirty gram No, you know none of these names does anything to me, Not even thirty Grand Judy.
Speaker 3: I'm afraid not.
Speaker 1: Mister Jeremy Worster, do something, Judy, Come with me?
Speaker 5: Where we going?
Speaker 1: Father? Look at the horses again? Well, Judy, look at thirty grand Judy.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sorry, none than Judy.
Speaker 1: Please, Judy, I'm out twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but wait that one.
Speaker 1: I think he waits that one, that one number six, and let's see win a pile. Come on, I'll wait a minute, wait a minute us because a horsemas. And if Judy says that horse winker, that's good enough for me. Don't look at gift pass him.
Speaker 8: But you can do what you want.
Speaker 1: That's honey, I know what I wait faster, wait for me. Well, when winn a pile wins, I'll be able to pay off duty and still end up a little girl. If he wins, fast, will stop worrying. He winked at Judy, didn't he? Well there they are, hello Judy.
Speaker 5: Now then will you round?
Speaker 1: Well so you think win a go away, I'll tell you a secret. I put a little bellony in myself. Then you said, you know, I know that a man can't pass up a sure thing? Can he?
Speaker 3: Remember the trapped father?
Speaker 1: The whole this is different father?
Speaker 3: Would you mind if I sort of changed our bets?
Speaker 1: What change our bet? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure when a pile did wing catney?
Speaker 1: What wash? So you ruined me? You talked what, Judy, what are you saying?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure, and there's another horse. I got to bet on him Quick Poison.
Speaker 1: We might still be able to get a bet down on him.
Speaker 3: Well, I just remembered I had a teacher whose name is Miss Simple, So there's a harshness race. His name is miss Simple. I can bet on that.
Speaker 1: Connor we make well. I think we can still a world.
Speaker 5: Can I change?
Speaker 1: Father? No, you made me bet on winn Pile, so you've got a bet on him too.
Speaker 8: Judy, your genius god win a F A B.
Speaker 3: Maybe he did win Captain County Duty.
Speaker 1: We'll go from track to track.
Speaker 3: Will win af What about the evils of betting?
Speaker 1: Father? This isn't betting. If it's your be, we'll go from track track They want to go with your boss? When win a.
Speaker 3: Pile roughead, I knew miss Simple would win. You said win a week cat, But I changed my mind. I told him simple, and.
Speaker 1: I bet every single dollar on winnu.
Speaker 3: Oh, you poor unfortunately made Judy.
Speaker 1: I told you'll never come out. I had that never. Oh let there's the illustris of you.
Speaker 3: No, Randolph, do you wanna know something very interesting?
Speaker 1: Why? Childy?
Speaker 3: We have in our possession of very fine generous fox. We have we certainly have.
Speaker 4: Imagine him going to the bond time, all by himself and buying this exquip a charming dress.
Speaker 3: Simply because he overheard me mention purely by accident, that I liked it.
Speaker 4: Imagine why there is no limit to his kindness and generosity. He said he was going to buy the other one in the window for me too, No kidding, no kidding, I just have to do one's my favorite for him.
Speaker 1: What's that I have to take?
Speaker 3: An eight minutes for tomorrow?
Speaker 2: A Day of Judy is written by Eline Lashley and fires Willis acting and Judy and John Browner's Father with Tommy Cooks Randolph and Mina Misha's mother.
Speaker 1: Original music was composed.
Speaker 2: By Marl South Helen, conducted by contrasan by Alina god Pogram was produced and directed by Helen.
Speaker 9: Knight at Duty has come to use with the worldwide facilis of the Armforces.
Speaker 1: Radio serve a voice of information. I'll let you take it