Speaker 1: Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle, Don't forget big Draft party on Wednesday, and we are going to be doing.
Speaker 2: Our show live at the AAC.
Speaker 1: It's the Ben and Skin Draft Party from three to six, brought to you by the k Post Company. Those fine folks built the roofs on all DFW Sports teams homes at and T Global Life Field and American Airlines Center, and they are sponsoring our draft coverage this year. Not only our draft party from three to six, but then right after the Mavericks Draft party at the AAC will be simulcast right here on ninety seven point one The Eagle, the home of Dallas Mavericks Basketball from six to nine, all brought to you by the k Post Company. We will talk a little NBA Finals here at the bottom of the hour, but right now it's time for this.
Speaker 3: And now it's time for Benson's weekday up Day, featuring veteran news anchor ktth On tweets. Here are the important stories he's currently tracking from around the world.
Speaker 2: Here Kevin's not here today.
Speaker 4: I'm Senate Bill three, and I would like to ban the possession, sale, and manufacture of all THC products miss Picky Babe.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that was dumb. That was really good.
Speaker 4: This would also include Delta eight THHC, which Texas lawmakers in twenty nineteen were like, hey, fine, yeah, we can have it.
Speaker 2: They legalized it then. So last night was the deadline.
Speaker 4: Governor Greg Abbott's got all these bills standing on his desk.
Speaker 2: And he's reading them, and he's been getting letters.
Speaker 4: From all kinds of people, and he said, I'm gonna call here, you can get up to that midnight deadline, and he decided to veto the THCHC ban bill. So for now, this multi billion dollar hemp you know, industry gets to survive another day. Fifty five thousand jobs saved.
Speaker 2: For now. Christine's in their clapping, It's like, hell yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh, saving jobs, saving job, more jobs in this economy, let's go. This also will benefit military veterans, anyone who's dealt with some traumatic stuff and they rely on these THHC products, you know, to help them get through.
Speaker 1: So I think this is one of the most fascinating things that's happened in Texas politics in a long time.
Speaker 2: I absolutely thought this was going to get banned.
Speaker 1: Well, you know him, he's never really said anything about it, and the fact that he stayed out of it is an indication that, you know, he's not going along party lines on this, and there are things to consider and it is a complex issue. And you know, you guys have heard me say this a million times on the air. I thought weed and gambling would be legal in Texas much sooner rather than later because of the economic impact. And I'm like, this is a very red state, and for the most part, economics is what drives, you know, the red constituency. And we have this independent state that operates autonomously for all these reasons, for business purposes.
Speaker 2: But this is their unique area.
Speaker 1: Where a lot of people want to put morality into this sort of thing. And so the fact that Abbot held out to the last minute and then vetoed it and said, hey, we need to do a special session in July, to me at least as an indication he's like, I'm not on board with this.
Speaker 2: We are letting a part of our party.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm some strictly the red because this is Texas, man, the moral part of the party. Ramrod something home that a lot of us don't necessarily believe in. We need to talk through this and we're not just gonna let Dan Patrick pound the table and get what he wants. This is really unique that Abbot waited to do this and did it the way that he did. Who's more powerful of those two guys, That's a great question. It really comes down to the money that's backing them, and in a lot of cases, you know, it's a lot of the same money that's backing them. But you know, KT had this article from Texas Monthly that he read last week talking about and like, if you're family has been from Texas for a long time, like mine has, you probably have some Baptist roots in your family.
Speaker 2: I do, and that's always had a.
Speaker 1: Really strong foothold in the rural areas of Texas, and so things like gambling and alcohol, Like, dude, remember Ben when you couldn't buy out when we were junior, you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I you know, we've had friends who you know, I never knew too much about it, but we have had friends who are like practicing Baptists, and they'd be like having to go over in the shadows to they don't want to be seen drinking. They don't want to see to be drinking publicly. But they did drink public you know, they did drink.
Speaker 1: If Uncle Johnny was out of family function, there was no alcohol.
Speaker 2: If Uncle Johnny wasn't there, the booze was flowing, baby.
Speaker 1: And so my whole point is that, you know, that's a strong part of the of the Red part of our state is the old Baptist constituency, and they very much are not against They're very not down with gambling, not down with THC, not down with alcohol, and a lot of those things. And it's a political rub and it's not one of those things. It's just cut and dry that all Republicans believe the same on because there is a lot of money. And also in general Red states are very very pro military, and dude, I can't tell you how many dudes I know that we're in the military that smoke because yes, the stress, yes, yeah. And so it's just there's new ways of thinking about things that don't go along with the old guard. And you know, I give kudos to Abbott for not just rubber stamping this because he's because there's such a strong part of his part and quiet the marijuana time because he doesn't agree with it, and We're in an era when we were younger, people in the same political party could disagree on stuff.
Speaker 2: It was healthy.
Speaker 1: It's how laws get made, it's how you find consensus. Now everyone's scared to go against anybody in their own part.
Speaker 4: But by the way, let me just say weed's not legal. Hundreds of this conversation could lead your wrong way, do right. Delta eight TC is just a it's a it's a form of TAC that you can compound with CBD or something else that's like less psychoactive.
Speaker 2: So that's just that's important to say.
Speaker 4: Like this, like weed's free now, but it's like those drinks that we talk about, CBD gummies and things like that, and a lot there's a lot of shops you know, in places like that, so crazy stuff. Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Coming up next, we'll catch up on sports. Let's talk Game seven of the NBA Finals DFW. That's coming up next