Speaker 1: Yo, what is a boys? How's it going? And welcome back to another episode of the One Piece Virgin podcast. We are so back boys. Today we're covering Fishbed Island, the Sawgus, and we will be touching upon the return to Sabad after the time skip with us. Today we have the One Piece Virgin herself, Poseidon Mythos. How's it going?
Speaker 2: Gamer?
Speaker 3: We are so back. It's been a very long time. The holidays I think kept all of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're so busy, there's so much going on, but that's the point though. That's part of the One Piece immersion experience. Once they have a time skip, you got to have a time skip, right.
Speaker 1: True, it's true. Also One Piece is a Brazilian episode. It's like life happens, you know, like it takes it takes years. It takes years. Sometimes they catch up just a finish season one.
Speaker 3: Right, They didn't acually say that season one is over.
Speaker 1: Season one is over and you've already watched two years worth of content anyway with it. Today we also have Jordan the anime Dude, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: My friend? What's up? Everybody? Happy to be here? I'm excited for this one. It's been too long?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, poseidon general thoughts on the saga, on the.
Speaker 3: Saga, or you want me to go specific.
Speaker 1: Arcs Okay, return to Saba Odie first, general thoughts, w or L.
Speaker 3: I absolutely loved it. Am I able to lump in fan Letter in here because I did watch Fants?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? Yes, I would more than allow that because I feel like that's the time it happens. And I love the return to or the fan letter.
Speaker 3: So my initial watch of Return to Sabod I thought it was fun. It was cool to see each of the straw hats kind of come in with their new I guess improved what powers and redesigns. But I don't think I actually truly loved Return to Saba until I finished watching fan Letter.
Speaker 1: I think it made me a pre it like was the Cherry on Top a lot more put it all together. Yes, I need to rewatch fan Letter. I like refresh my memory for Sabodi and fish By Island for this podcast, but I need to rewatch fan Letter. I remember when I watched it, I was obsessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan, you.
Speaker 3: Were so good.
Speaker 2: To be honest, you remember that, that's my mind. I have not yet watched it you know what, I've not sat there and watched it.
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Thirty minutes?
Speaker 2: I know, I know I've seen sections, but I haven't. I need to sit down and just watch it all.
Speaker 1: I think I agree with Raf and chat fan Letter is easily better than the rest of Return to Sabodi.
Speaker 3: I I honestly agree for the return to though, Yeah, because like there was a there was a two week break.
Speaker 2: They also did the immersion right, Like they took two weeks off of one piece, and then they came back and everybody was returning Borrow show up first. That threw everything on its head, right, was it?
Speaker 1: Like all the chaos going on on saba ODI's from a marine's perspective? I actually don't even remember it. I just remember being in love.
Speaker 3: So fan letter it showed kind of like the events leading up and during. So there was like a section where, uh, I mean, I think it was a flashback. It showed I guess a marine soldier what he was doing during Marine forward. So you can see like Cuson's sorry, that's not his that's his real name? What's his? Not a kind new is it? It's a who's on ice?
Speaker 1: Dude?
Speaker 3: Like it shows there we go. It showed him kind of in the Battle of Marine Ford, and then from the perspective of the other navy that was there, the other Marines, And I thought that was really cool. And then it showed I guess the perspective of like an admiral, not an ad Sorry, I feel like that's too like a like an like a captain as well as like a fan of Namies. So you kind of get to see the events that were unfolding during return to Sabad from a different perspective, not from the straw Hats necessarily, but just regular people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one thing being like a member of the straw Hat and having chaos going around you imagine being a normal marine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which it's It shows how like the straw Hats, what they kind of mean to each like of those people. And I thought it was so funny that the big tough captain dude, he was just a huge Chopper fan, absolutely loved Popper. And then the marine guy his his I believe it, Please regrect me if I'm wrong. He appreciates Loofy because Loofy in invertedly saved his brother's life because his brother was also in the Marines. During the Marine four fight and uh, Loufy doesn't know it, but he saved this man's life. So he feels like he owes something.
Speaker 1: I feel like me and Jordan are the virgins here and I'm hearing this for the first time from an expert. I'm not gonna lie you. Notice. I've ran and watched One Piece so many times. I only watched this one episode when I came out. I need to rewatch it.
Speaker 2: I've only seen that one scene with the brother, so that's that's about it. I need to go back and watch the whole thing. So you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: Let's dive back into the Return to sava od An. He highlights moments you found funny or great, and he nippicks anything like that.
Speaker 3: Man, the fake straw hats were something else. They were something else, and it made me like, I mean, I understand there was Like I was like, Chopper, how do you not know? Not the real ones? Oh my goodness, who the heck is this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it shuts them there was Oh my god. One of my favorite parts of Return to is when Lufy is like backpacking all his stuff. Right, he has a hood over his head and he's walking down the square and he uses his hockey, I believe on the fake straw hats because they're like trying to rile him up and try to get in a fight with him, and he just uses his Conquerors hockey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wanted to remain low key. Look at this for the first time, lufy trying to be low key and not get caught and like dodges some attacks and then uses hockey is conquers hockey to make them pass out and kind of get away without being spotted. Right, he's one of alarm people that he's back alive on the island. So on and so forth. I had some great moments that were more comedic, like just between Zoro and Soanjy Zorro constantly referring to Sanjy orfer like Zoro was like number one and Sonji was like number like seven to show up. I'm making up the numbers. I don't remember the actual numbers, but he was referring to him as by a number that he showed up. I found fucking hilarious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Zoro always gets lost, right, him showing up first and then just riding that wave that high for the entire arc is uh yeah, is great. And then the throwback to uh to Meehawk right first time we saw me her Hawk versus first time we see Zoro post time skip, they kind of do the same thing.
Speaker 1: So and then the Aul accidentally went to Fishman couldn't go to Fishman Island early he got on the wrong ship.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the old man said like, oh, if you want to go fishing, go on my boat. And like he gets on a gigantic pirate ship and takes a nap and then they have it all coated and they're going underwater and then he cuts the ship in half with a bad ass moment. That was a really really cool moment that I liked. Any other moment you guys liked to talk about, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was just saying, that guy's just like Don Creek, right, like had their grand line journey cut short just because they happened the cross paths with the wrong swordsman on the wrong day, right, their ship half too real.
Speaker 3: I loved when Nammy when you see me, she's like kind of in a bar and like, if I'm remembering correctly, someone was flirting with her and she didn't like it, so she used her new weather weather, which I thought was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we get to see a lot of new things, right. We got to see different different outfits but also different powers and them and actually flex a little bit with their new powers. We got to see Oosop in that bar as well use some type of I believe it was in that bar that he used by based like attack with his slingshot. But we saw Nami use like a like a lightning based attack which was really cool and like way more powerful than in the past. Yeah, the pop greens green.
Speaker 2: Pops he used.
Speaker 1: Man, I have a bad memory. I need to go back to rewalking everything before having a conversation with Poseidon. This is bad al Kigi who.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there was. There was. Like I said, there was a lot in like a very short spurt on on Sabad right because we're seeing everybody again, so everybody got a little bit of screen time there. M so king Brook having a concert, just announcing it. He was turned in because he they wanted him to be there, Uh, their money maker. He was retiring, right, so he's he's like, you know what, No, I'm off to be a pirate. Lukey's gonna be king And then he dips out like a true rock star. So he was a.
Speaker 3: Superstar celebrity status.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna be honest. I want to hear your thoughts on the new forms. I like the new version of Rob Robin a lot. I want to hear what you think about the new version of Robin compared to like her pre time scap because both are great.
Speaker 3: They're great, I think design wise, I really really like her Fisherman Island outfit the most. However, I do miss her bangs.
Speaker 1: I think like the bangs and and his lobby outfit was his peak.
Speaker 3: Though it is the problem, it is, it is, it's so so good. I really loved her thriller Bark outfit. But it is nice and refreshing to see all of them have new designs, Like I really like Gnamy with long hair. I think that's cool. I think my face redesign or I guess new design out of everybody is actually oosop. I think looks awesome.
Speaker 1: It's nice to see him a little bit more muscular and Jack, yes, don't worry, he looks. Don't worry, Poseidon the Bangs will be back in six hundred episodes, and like not even exaggerating, like, in six hundred episodes, we'll see bangs again and spoilers. I just it'll keep you watching.
Speaker 3: I believe it's our l BAF design if I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 1: Damn, how do you know these things?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen Twitter.
Speaker 3: Twitter likes to like to tease me a little bit with one piece. I try to scroll past it, but if it's Nico Robin, I have.
Speaker 2: To click it. You know that's too true.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is a hot take guys, but I don't like Frankie's new design.
Speaker 3: I don't either. Oh, I think he's my least favorite.
Speaker 2: But he's customizable. He's able to change his hair at will. They were like, yeah, everybody, everybody had their own training arcs over the two years, right, and then like that's the thing he shows off. He's like press the button, all boom, there's hair, and it's like that was what you were doing for these two years. Right. Like there's other stuff too. He's like, we'll talk about that later, but for now, I.
Speaker 1: Just feel like I do like the fact that it's customizable the hair, but I just really prefer his old hair hairstyle, so like, not only does he have a completely different hairstyle and majority of the time but he's also like his body is so different too. It just really drastic for me and I. He was one of my favorite character designs prior.
Speaker 2: I actually do kind of agree with that. I love Pree time Skip Frankie. If I had the compare how they look? Right?
Speaker 1: So such a bro I don't know, And now he's a fucking mecha yea, I guess.
Speaker 2: I mean he's still really cool, but like that, the hair can be very silly at times, right, So what's how they do it?
Speaker 1: What about Zoro? Anything you notice about Zoro's.
Speaker 3: I is stitched up and explained?
Speaker 1: Why you ready for the sharing Gon and beam atag.
Speaker 3: He's a lot more but a lot more muscular.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his boobs got bigger?
Speaker 3: He did it?
Speaker 1: Did they keep on growing? I think his boobs are canonically bigger than Robin's, which I am I joking? Is that not real or that?
Speaker 2: I mean, it wouldn't surprise me those pecks. He works out a lot, right, that's true. He's also wearing like a kimono type thing now to show off all the scars that we've seen get over the years.
Speaker 1: Like I might be reposting misinformation, but I'm pretty sure. Like Oda's really revealed all like they're like like bust sizes and Zorrel's was the biggest on the straw Hack crew, which I feel like just can't be real because every every frame, Robin and Nomalies just get bigger.
Speaker 2: I've gotta say, Oda loves the hourglass figure, So like there's gotten bigger over the course of the series. Is that old info? Is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel like theirs gets bigger in proportion to their body, but like all of Zorol's like shoulders and like waists and everything got bigger, So maybe it doesn't look as drastic look huge. Oh apparently they're bigger than Hancocks as well.
Speaker 2: Like I could see that maybe being the case at this point, but I'm telling you, just as it goes on, I think that's the constant and one pieces that the boobs get bigger over time. Right, it's a I don't it's science. I don't make the rules so that it's life.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Any other things about Saba Odi before we jump into the Meat and Potatoes nuts flatback loved.
Speaker 3: Towards the end of the arc, you kind of see the characters that were with the straw Hats during the two years kind of send them off almost right, you see Boa kind of being like bye, lufy, like protecting him. Pirona's there, and I just think it's it's a very sweet moment, all of them kind of saying goodbye and sending them back off to Fishman Island. And I don't really sweet moment.
Speaker 2: I don't remember it from the anime, but whenever I was rereading of this, like, uh, we saw like Heracles and uh the guy that trained us up and the Ocamas and uh, the people in the sky Island, they all kind of held off the rains a little bit as they as they left, right, So a bit of a send off there, and then uh, a lot of things they talked about from the island they did like on the way down, Like there was some info dumps there. Do we want to talk about those maybe next.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, there's some cool stuff that happened on the way down, some info dumps.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Yeah, I mean, good work.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, Jinks both can't talk, Okay, any any thoughts about Kuma, I guess I could.
Speaker 2: I should say that was like one of the biggest.
Speaker 3: I believe it did get revealed during this time, right, that Kuma was not a bad guy.
Speaker 2: He was not.
Speaker 3: He he did what he did at sad to save them because if he did not do that, Kisaru would have killed all of them.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah, he basically saved the crew. And then there after that he was able to give himself kind of one command to like unconsciously do and he guarded the ship until at least one person showed up, right, So he uh yeah, that was why the ship was still safe after all these years.
Speaker 1: I think in return to so obviously we have that, which is really important. Trying to think of any other reportant things. The flashback with Raley and Roger is that's.
Speaker 2: Also as that's like as they leave.
Speaker 1: As they leave, do you remember that anything that caught your attention there?
Speaker 3: I honestly can't remember that. So if you guys kind of want to.
Speaker 1: Go over and help, so we just like Loufy says to Raley, I'm going to be King of the Pirates, and then I get flashes back to like Goldie Rogers saying that to Railey, and yeah, Roger is wearing something something that Loofy wears. Roger's wearing the same looking straw hat or the same straw hat like.
Speaker 2: Of that, right, it's like a crown of some sorts.
Speaker 1: It's correct me if I'm wrong, is that the first time we see Roger in a straw hat.
Speaker 3: I honestly cannot recall him wearing like a straw hat before this, so it probably is.
Speaker 1: Apparently he has it like in an opening, but this is the first time in the show. Yeah, I feel like we see it, and I feel like that's that's big because we know Shanks gave it to Loofy and now we know that somehow Roger had it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, either that or it was just a huge fashion trend back then, right.
Speaker 1: And that back in the day, Back in the day, straw hats were in. But Shanks also did say, just so you know this beside him, Shanks did say that before he wore it somewhat important wore that straw hat. That was Goldie Roger, damn. So I still think that straw hat is the one.
Speaker 2: Piece they throw so much at you so quick time over right, So it's like this is all even before they get the Fishman Island.
Speaker 1: It has also been two months since we've done this podcast, so we're helping each other and refreshing each other's each other's right here.
Speaker 2: And it's probably been about that long since you watched it, right Besidon, So it's uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's been a hot it's un a hot minute. Just to be completely transparent with you, guys, I am currently in the middle of Punk Hazard.
Speaker 2: So oh damn yeah.
Speaker 3: I uh, I'll get to it once we talk more about Fishman Island. I suppose I.
Speaker 1: Think we do the rest of Fishman Island, or as much as Fishman Island you want to cover today, and then we'll do a whole episode on Punk Hazard when we get there.
Speaker 3: Yes, I actually think we can probably cover all of Fishman Island today because I really think that the amount of content that was in Fishman Island did not need to take as long as it needed to.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you have that opinion because I like Fishman Island, but fun act this so remember I've been complaining about pacing. Yes, this is a point where it gets worse and continues to get worse because there was fifty six chapters in the Fishman or the Fishman Island saga. There's fifty seven episodes, meaning about one chapter an episode, which is not typical crazy, not typical.
Speaker 2: Friend, not at all. So yeah, it's it's like it's it's a pretty quick arc when you read it. But I do remember watching it and just thinking, like the time the flashbacks in particular, right, I'm like, man, these are kind of taken forever, like forgetting everybody's story, right, We're getting all sides to the story. So I don't know what we were overall about.
Speaker 1: I guess let's hear some general thoughts.
Speaker 3: I really really really do not want to put this arc as my least favorite, but because of the pacing, I think it made it really really not fun for me to watch. I actually absolutely loved the lore that had like was dropped during this you know saga, and I really loved how it almost kind of I don't want to say justified, right, but gave a reason as to why Arlong is the way he is, and it almost puts gives you like a different perspective on the world.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: This is coming from a race of people who have been discriminated against basically for their entire lives, and now we get to kind of see, you know, things from their perspective, which I really enjoyed. However, I think this arc definitely burnt me out of one piece for a little bit. I remember I was I had to like force myself to sit down to watch this arc, and I did not have a lot of fun because I was actually having this conversation with a friend. I don't mind having long arcs as long as it's it's fun and I feel like it's like moments are not wasted, which is why I really enjoyed Water seven and and He's Lobby saga because it is a pretty long saga, but because I felt like each episode had its own purpose and I didn't mind the length. However, I don't feel the same way about Fishman Island.
Speaker 1: Well, get ready for Dress Rosa.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm very sick myself.
Speaker 1: If you ever want to get into one pace or one of those versions or the manga, now might be the time because I'm gonna be honest, Fishman Island ain't even that bad. Me wrong.
Speaker 2: Chress Roasa's where I dropped the end. I just start reading.
Speaker 1: Dress Rosa is where I started watching. Yeah, I agree, Jordans Ross is where I started reading it as well, and I think a lot of people did it, but you know, it's fucked. Dress Rosa is actually like one of the best starts in the series.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's so good. It's Yeah, I didn't dislike it. I just that's where I was just like, you know what, I'm just gonna read it instead. So I'm curious, have you watched one pace around that time or or thereafter breaks?
Speaker 1: Because I got the whole cake, so that would mean yes, no.
Speaker 2: Yes, I had never watched one pace until recently. I rewatched the East Blue saga and it felt so much faster.
Speaker 1: Than one Pace does a good job. It literally only shows what's in the manga. It does a great job. I know. People say, oh, the cuts are jarring. Yeah, you know what else is jarring? The forty five seconds they did it between the cut that was not didn't add any context.
Speaker 2: The five minute recamp at the start of every episode.
Speaker 1: Dude, it's not even that matter. Like I swear, they'll take one panel and they'll turn it into fucking a minute. I'm like, that was one panel that was a singular moment. I know anime's supposed to elongate things, but it's the entire animal doesn't have the fucking gumbo gooboo no me.
Speaker 5: Right right, So anyway, I'm hoping you got the breaking you there, Posidon, because yeah, I think we all go through that aead of times when you're watching through something right and it like feels like.
Speaker 2: It drags a bit. So yeah, as far as takeaways that you might have enjoyed from this arc.
Speaker 5: Were the the favorite parts.
Speaker 3: I actually absolutely loved almost kind of like the different die there was. I felt like there was a split in fish Man Island where there were like, you know, the fish people who kind of did want to have, you know, equality with everyone, and then you have the other half where they're like, no, they treated us horribly. We need to, you know, stay separate from them. So I love kind of how it went back and forth where Queen Odehime she stood for let's try to, you know, bridge the gap between us and the humans, whereas there's Fishman like uh Hody Jones where he was just like, no, I hate the humans. They need to be eradicated, and we were stronger than them, so we need to take over type of things. So I really liked that part of the arc as well, as we did get some huge lore drops. There is a phonoglyph down in Fishmont Island where Robin was investigating and trying to find out what it had said. So overall, thoughts, I really loved the characters. I loved Shia Hoshi and her family. I loved the visuals. It's very, very colorful. However, I think one of my least favorite things during this arc was actually Hody Jones. I thought he was a very one of the more weaker villains, at least to me comparatively to.
Speaker 2: I will say, like just the feom a little bit. I'm not a big fan of Hody Jones either, but I do like at least what they did thematically with the arc where we got a lot more context about Arlong and kind of why he is the way that he is, right, So it's it's kind of warning about like the dangers of the cycles of hatred and then like inheriting hatred. Right, So it's like Arlong had those personal experiences that like led to his hatred of humans or like racism, specism, whatever you want to say. Hody just kind of idolized like Arlong and those boys, and he inherited it without ever experiencing any any of that for himself, right. So, so I like what they did there with it, but it does make him a lot less compelling of a character, right, You don't really, He's just kind of an a whole.
Speaker 5: So yeah.
Speaker 1: I also just feel like whenever there's a relatively like weaker or slightly worse villain, people hate on the entirety of the arc. They do that with Drum Island because of Woppole, They do that with Bartier because of Don Krieg, and they do that with fish Ben Island because of Hody Jones. But I think all these arcs, while I agree that the villain might not be the best, Drum Island has some amazing and heartfelt moments. It does Bartier think of Zorol versus me Hawk and the oath that Zorrel puts to Loofy and Loufy's like kind of fight without fear, and like it's like a Soanji's backstory and him being inspired and like the relationship between him and zeph There's so much that goes in Broughty, and I just don't want people to shut down arcs because they don't like Don Creek. It's like, there's so much more to it, and I know it's not doing that. I'm more just saying that in general, same with Loofy carrying Gnami and Soanjy in his mouth and on his back while climbing a ten thousand or a thousand foot straight up cliff in the blizzard while it's frostbite in fucking flip flops and oh my god, Like there's so many moments that make one piece what it is, and they're like, but wopple bed therefore arc bed. It's like, no, this arc is fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: I'll throw another defense in there for Ody Jones. Right, Ody Jones is bad, but he's no vander Decker, right, Like, but.
Speaker 1: They're both in the same arc, Jordan, they're both in the mark.
Speaker 2: But you know, you know, if you had to choose one right Decker like, well, he was obsessed with Cheerosi, which I can't blame him, but like he went too far right, So.
Speaker 1: I think Hody Jones serves his purpose. And the fact that like Lufi got the flex and show all his like coop power ups and same with the crew while at the same time kind of like how do I say this? It's like we got to see their flexes right after a time skip, but also getting the lower of Fishman Island and other things within the One Piece world, and like Poseidon said, the relationship with like fish men's and humans, we get all that and that's all good, and Hody Jones doesn't need to be directly connected while he is. As Jordan mentioned, I do think even in our society today, it's like it's crazy how racism and hatred and whatever it may be can be passed down from generation to generation with people that never really like aren't going to experience it the same as Arlong did right like no, like Hody didn't really have interactions with people or negative interactions, but because of how he was raised, he grew up with in his heart right and then he is now spreading it. I think it just he does a great job with that. I don't see that from a lot of other villains in One Piece that are great for other reasons. Just because he's weak doesn't necessarily mean he's bad. He was a bad villain, but I feel like he was meant to be bad, if that makes sense, or maybe I'm missing soda Glazer, dude, I fucking glaze. I'm like, this is bad because he wanted it to be.
Speaker 3: I think I'm more so like comparing I guess I guess. Yeah, it came to Crocodile and do Flamingo, and like all these other villains feel like they have like a plan and they're calculated and everything like that. So when we got when I got to Hodi, I was just like, oh, okay, it's just a guy who hates humans, you know, It's not really much more than that, which is why I was just kind of like, Eh, I'm not I'm not the hugest fan of Hodi. I think though the backstory with like the other fishmen made it make sense, I suppose. But I think one of my actual favorite characters that like new characters from this arc is actually Fisher Tiger.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he is such a great character and it made me. I think the only time I cried during this arc was when he died and he was telling all his crew please do not like tell anybody how I died. The hatred ends with our generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's such a contrast to Hodie. Like, dude, he still hated humans, but he didn't want others to hate humans for how he died, which is crazy.
Speaker 2: Yesh.
Speaker 1: So Fish Tiger is your favor, that's great.
Speaker 3: I think he's a great character and that was the only time I cried during this arc was during that episode where he did get I believe he did get shot right when Yeah, and you.
Speaker 2: Refuse the blood transfusion, right, which, uh yeah, which is huge for you know that that tradition kind of got passed along and became a bit of a taboo, right. Yeah. It was so symbolic whenever Jim Bay uh you know, let his blood be transfused into loofy. Right. So, along with some silly moments like like Sonji needing blood transfusions lately, it was a lot of blood.
Speaker 1: Can I say something here real quick, guys. I feel like when I first watched this arc, I had a similar opinion to Poseidon, and so does so many people. But as one past Blazers, we need to like. The more I talk about it on podcasts, the more I realize, like or maybe I convinced myself that all these characters are good. Someone in chat has said something, Pokin, I gotta read this. The drugs used to get more power was cool to see the short that shortcuts don't give results. I just feel like everything about Holy's character is bad, like the shortcuts, right.
Speaker 2: I think he's unlikable. I don't think he's saying.
Speaker 1: Unlikable and there's like these negative aspects of him as a person, and I feel like that almost makes him a good character to get shipped on by Loofy. I'm dude, I'm Hoy Jones top tiers.
Speaker 3: It's literally just the embodiment of hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in person, he wasn't. It's crazy that it was like hate passed down. It's nuts.
Speaker 2: He fits in thematically with what like kind of what this arc needed, even if he's not, like, if you take him in isolation, he's not gonna impress anybody, right, So.
Speaker 1: So many negatives make a positive, you know.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly one thing I want to make sure we touch on though I know I I think I brought it up at the end of the last podcast, but I said, this is Poseidon's arc. Yes, what did you think about? It is the arc of Poseidon.
Speaker 3: That reveal had me on, like my jaw on the floor because I did not expect so Okay, I was actually talking about this on a stream previously and somebody had told me I was like interpreting it wrong, and I'm very, very convinced that it's not the case. So if SHEI ra Hoshi, the ancient weapon presided she is y yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Like you're pointing at each other, You're like, that's that's me. That's okay.
Speaker 3: Because someone was saying that Sidon's actually the Dad, and I was just like no, because I understand Neptune. Yeah, that's Neptune. So that's Roman. That's a romant thing. But I from my understanding, so the ancient weapon that Robin was reading about on the Pony Glyph was that there is going to be a mermaid who is going to have the ability to communicate and control the c Kings in the ocean, and they are dangerous, and that is she or Hoshi, which she explains why she kind of is a lot different than her siblings. She's one very big, and two she's just she just has this mysterious power like you see in the flashbacks where I guess we can talk about this or O Tahime's assassination. Right, She's crying and all of a sudden, the sea Kings just kind of come over to Fishman Island and are ready to destroy the entire place. So I thought that was very interesting that this weapon isn't necessarily a physical thing. It's in a person. It's a person and it's her. So I thought that was insane. I did not expect. I thought it would have been like a cannon or something, or something buried under all the rubbule or something like that. So I think it's super cool that it ended up being a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, how she's such a cool character, right, it is she.
Speaker 1: Is and does a good job, because, like you, how boring would it be if it was just like three random weapons, like just oh, it's something married Yeah, like it's something lost in time and it was just an old machinery made because they had better science or something like or or or or some old stuff that was lost and forgotten and kind of hidden because of the void's entry or but even before it, Like I think just having these twists that he always that it always does is just so good.
Speaker 3: It's so so so good, which explains why her dad like locked her up, which was like there was one I forgot his name. I hated this carrier vander Decken. Yeah, fuck that guy.
Speaker 2: I said, you might just like Hody, but at least he's no Vanderdecken or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Vancan was just weird because the pedal she is she was. He was he was praying on Shira Ho sheis, and she was like a child. She was like six or whatever. She was very very young.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lie. Like, until I was reviewing for this arc, I just like kind of blocked him out of my memory.
Speaker 3: I heard her, honestly valid, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I remember, Like he's actually a thing, Like I just forgot about him.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know how Neptune didn't kill that dude.
Speaker 3: I mean either was Like.
Speaker 1: I know he's older now, but he's pretty strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Bender Decker Bender Deck's pretty strong as well, right like, and he's uh able to be a threat from from a very far distance away. So we see Shia Ho, she's u power kind of awakened and whatnot. Because he throws that ancient arc Noah at you know, at the island right or at her and uh, I don't remember all the specifics around that, but I guess.
Speaker 1: That's my least favorite part about this arc is the fact now thinking back, like Neptune and the all the brothers, the brothers let that fucking that creepy pedophile live. They should have pulled up find him.
Speaker 3: That's what I would have done. I would have I would have killed him on the spot.
Speaker 2: But we needed him for the Noah. Joy Boy, lord drop, Okay, are going to get Noah all the way there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can you remind me about so obviously we saw the Noah. Do we know what was said on the pony glyph in Fishman Island?
Speaker 3: I I'm trying to remember mainly about the weapon, right and then oh oh h joy Boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's still a little foggy for me as well.
Speaker 3: Something about an apology, right, like something apologizing about something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he apologized on the pony glyph and whatnot. But it had something to do with h Like he had promised the princess that had previously had that Poseidon power to do something with the arc. I don't, I don't quite remember the details, but like he hadn't he wasn't quite able to fulfill that problem.
Speaker 1: Or like the promise of bringing them to the surface.
Speaker 2: Or to the surface. Yeah, it was very similar in parallel to the promise that Lufy makes to share Hoshi. Right.
Speaker 1: So, do we have any theories about joy Boy or the arc or something that Fishman Island may have triggered in you?
Speaker 3: So from my understanding. I almost kind of see a parallel between Joey Boy and Loofy. The way I kind of interpreted is like, is history repeating itself? Like is whatever happened during the Void century, is this just going to happen again within you know, the current time. In one way, maybe that's kind of how I interpreted it. I'm not entirely sure though, but it was. I think this was the first time they mentioned a character named joy Boy. But yeah, all I know is that he's a guy, he was powerful, he did something during the Boy's entry, and that's all we really know.
Speaker 1: I just thought we'd gotten something about joy Boy and Fishman in Skypia. But I think I was wrong. Who signed the pond and glyph in Skypea Goldie Rogers.
Speaker 2: Gee, Roger did it in Skypeia. But like the way they kind of connect is uh, Robin said she read on the one in Skypea that that there was an ancient weapon in Fishman Island, right, So I was talking about Sureshi and that it would be like a So like Robin knew a little bit about that. I don't know if we knew as an audience.
Speaker 1: But that's that's there. Being so many episodes, like how I've watched the entire show, read the entire show, and I'm still forgetting things. I'm like, did Goldie Rogers sign that pony Glyph? Or was it gold was a joy boy?
Speaker 3: I know there's a connection, right, Yeah, I believe it was Goldie Roger if I'm remembering. They were wondering how he even got up there?
Speaker 2: Man could jump yet hops.
Speaker 1: Also, I didn't make a correction. Goldie Roger never said I'm going to be King of the Pirates. It was just when when Lufi said that it were minded greatly of of Roger. Right, he never said I'm gonna be King of the Pirates. That didn't exist until he made it a thing.
Speaker 2: He set the precedent, right, So.
Speaker 1: What any cool moments, really cooler fun moments or badass moments about the actual fight toward the end.
Speaker 3: Of the arc, can I be honest?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I did not like the fights in this arc.
Speaker 2: Damn, this is so it wasn't like Robins, this is double Robin. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it was like the fights felt a little weak because it just it didn't feel dynamic enough for me. I suppose I think it was more there to like. Its purpose was to show off the powers of the straw hats. You see Robin kind of have more mastery over her deble throuit sogy can just walk on air now, yeah, for whatever reason. And by one of my favorite scenes and it's so stupid is kind of almost like that flashback to Sonjy where he was during the two years and him just running away from all all the guys on that one are gals sorry on that one island, and then it showed like a like a sequencer no, it was actually no, yeah, And then there was like the one brook sequence where it was just dancing for however long that felt like forever. But I thought that was funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, but we got to see Frankie and a cyborg see I'm about I'm about that ship.
Speaker 3: I thought that was cool.
Speaker 1: Oh what about Loofy's powers? Any cool Loofy powers? He liked.
Speaker 3: I like that he's being able to use his hockey more like. He looks like he's a lot more confident in it's fighting. It's a lot more like because I would know that previously, right, Lufy was a type of character that just was like, fuck it, We're just gonna go in, but it almost seems like Loofy is a lot more calculated with how he attacks. But I don't know if I have like any particular moments of like this arc that I'm like, you know, that was awesome with fighting, but.
Speaker 1: I have a few.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: The biggest one I think is the fact that there was like one hundred thousand fishmen or whatever, and yeah, right.
Speaker 1: The observation hockey on fifty thousand people is crazy, and like the casual push aside of both Zoro and and Sundry, and then Zoro was like, well if he didn't do at least that he couldn't be my captain. I don't know. I'm a sucker for some like like small like one piece like lines like that. I liked that Loofy used a firefist attack after his brother underwater, which totally makes sense. There was that you get to see the actual umman hockey on his like gear three attacks. There's so many little things that I just appreciate. I like this arc. I like it. I like it.
Speaker 2: I liked the argument he had with Jim Bay a little bit, like I remember him saying, oh, you know, I don't want to be a hero, right, Heroes would share their meat. I want all the meat.
Speaker 1: But like that, that's so good.
Speaker 2: Jis explained more about Loofy, right, we could understand his philosophy where his head's at. He's not a hero, right, He's just him.
Speaker 1: So I mean that also adds to Poseidon's thoughts on the arc, and like the relations between fish men and humans, Jim Bay wanted Loofy to be a symbol that humans are okay, humans can be heroes and Lufy's like, no, fuck that not because not because I'm not a good person, but I don't want to be a hero. I'm a pirate. Heroes share their meat. I want all the meat. And it was hilarious, shows you how Loofy is like Jordan's said. But at the same time, Jim Bay's like, you know what, that's still okay because at the end of the day, they'll see you. They'll still see you as a savior. As long as I play things right. He's gonna save the island the way the same way he says people in Alabasta. He saved people in every arc, or in so many arcs.
Speaker 3: Can I mention something I know it's a little off topic, go for it? Can I mention? There's this one character I absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 2: You love you're talking about Cariboo.
Speaker 3: This is I ain't why did it? They just kill him?
Speaker 1: I swear he's back at the end of her maga again too.
Speaker 3: No tell me you're lying, because I would. I'm hoping. I was like, oh my god, I hope he dies.
Speaker 1: You can't get rid of.
Speaker 2: He's gonna hate it when Cariboo joins the straw Hats. To stand out, Jim bays, I.
Speaker 1: Would ionically rather Cariboo join the straw Hat than some characters that people want to join the straw Hats, which I can't I guess I can't say because they're spoilers. But you know, some of them.
Speaker 2: Have such a tragic character.
Speaker 1: Dude, imagine a TSN turning point. Imagine where you get a Caribou redemption arc or he just continues to be.
Speaker 2: I don't know, put yourself in his shoes, right, like put yourself in his shoes. This man jumps the straw Hats, valorous, courageous, like he is willing to take them on, right. He jumps forward, leading the charge and then move move, you know, throw back to Arlong Park gets scared, runs away. He's stranded. It's just him versus all the straw hats, right, so he has to go low key and then he has to see the ship, his pirate ship with his brother. It just gets grabbed by a crack and destroyed. They all, I'm pretty sure they're all dead, like this man went through.
Speaker 3: It, right.
Speaker 2: This was a crazy art for Cariboo.
Speaker 1: He has the next cover story and it's low key Redemption Act. There's no way, my boy, my goats. I don't know. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I get mad when people mess with Shira Hoshi. I wish he didn't do that. But like, aside from that.
Speaker 1: You know what, I get it. Beside it, obviously, there's the moment in Fishine Island where he just like absorbs a bunch of fish mermaids just to sell them. He's a piece of ship. Yeah he's a villain, but oh sorry, ahead, nothing better than a villain that uh somehow has a redemption arc.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I you know, I I honestly hope so, because I absolutely hate him right now, I think we should talk about we did get some up like updates about what the heck's been going on in the world. As outside of Fishman Island, we do find out that a Kaiu is now the Fleet Admiral of the Marines and al Kig and him were fighting over the position, and al Kig ended up losing and Alkigi leaves the Marines.
Speaker 4: Yeahane, it was crazy, Yeah, yeah, and it makes me sad because I think between both of those characters, I think Alkigi would be a better leader.
Speaker 3: Is just a you know at least. But the way I see Alkig, right, he's kind of like in that gray zone where he almost kind of doesn't see like privates is that bad as opposed to kin He's like pirates are all bad because you see him even let let Robin go when she was a child. He let her go.
Speaker 1: I feel like he let her live. Yeah, it's true. Al Kanu or yeah, did I say his name different every time?
Speaker 3: I think it's I don't know, it's one of those two.
Speaker 1: She's like absolute justice, absolute Marine justice. Anyone that opposes the Marines is bad, and I will do anything and sacrifice anything to accomplish the goals of the Marines in the world government. While like Alkigi is more of a actual person with like varying beliefs and like we'll have some gray area and see people as people and not as you're a pirate. You're bad. The world government hates, so you're bad. And like he kind of I feel like he's so powerful and so chill and so lazy that he kind of just like does what he wants while also doing his job.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: They're both good characters in different ways. Obviously, I would have preferred al Kigi to be to have one as well and been the leader. I think that'd been cool. But it's also cool to see what he does now.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we also did get an update, so black Beard does become an emperor now he does fill in that spot. Yeah, white Beard and he is now him and his crew have been hunting Devil for users, right, They're trying to take their powers for themselves, and I think that's very very dangerous. That's really scary. So yeah, black Beard's a mess. He is, and it's not I don't it didn't. I don't know how he takes the Devil for powers, and I'm not supposed to know. Right up until this point, I don't know how he does it.
Speaker 2: I do, I don't think, I don't think. I don't think it's said up to this point, right.
Speaker 1: There's so many things that you've talked about in the theorized and I'm just like, I don't know either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I don't think at this point we would we would know, right.
Speaker 1: And we're what you're what ups are you on? In?
Speaker 2: Me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: In Punk Hazard? Where are you at?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I just got to I just finished episode six to.
Speaker 1: One, six o one. You're still yeah, what percent? Are you fifty percent? Are we twelve hundred? Yet we're twelve something, right? I know we were in the eleven hundreds for sure. You might be over the fifty percent mark.
Speaker 3: I know that's crazy. I'm actually getting through Punk Hazard pretty uh. I mean, we'll talk about it next episode, I'm sure, helly, But I will say I actually really really enjoyed Punk Haszard. I think Punk Hazard's a good arc, and I'm excited to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, she's excited.
Speaker 1: We're at one and ninety roughly or elevens Oh no, it was after eleven seventy four. See, you're over the halfway point for sure, which is kind of like it's crazy that, oh my god, you're so far. But at the same time, It's like we've been doing this podcast for a long time. You've watched six hundred episodes of anime and we're talking about, oh, she's above the fifty percent park, Like what is truly that? Like Iceberg meme, where like there's always so much more underneath the surf below sea level.
Speaker 3: My goal for twenty twenty six is to get caught up with one Piece.
Speaker 2: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: It is my goal, and I'm really looking forward to it because most of my friends that I have, like my IRL friend group, they are all caught up in one Piece. I am like one of the only people in my friend group that aren't there yet. So every time I talk to them, they're like, side are you? Are you getting through it? We really really want to talk to you about this, And I'm just like, don't say anything yet. I am getting through it.
Speaker 1: That's the hardy part of the better. I'm yeah, you're not caught up, Jordan, where are you?
Speaker 2: It's been a couple of years for me, Like I was midway through uh An our Cold Eggheads whenever I finish reading, but I need to go back and like reread in its entirety because that was in week the week.
Speaker 1: I have a thought process. If you're if the next arc after the arc you're on isn't done yet, you actually really haven't missed much, because like.
Speaker 2: I like the bit rebinge through like an arc in its entirety there after because then it like it sticks better, Like I feel like I struggled going week the weeks.
Speaker 1: I mean not to be a spoil but we spent a whole year of reading the manga without really seeing Loofy because of a flashback, right, a singular flashback could take months.
Speaker 2: So you like that fish was going right, the next.
Speaker 1: Arc after the one you're on, Jordan like isn't done yet, so you really haven't missed that much.
Speaker 2: Let's go. That's why I'm not behind behind, but I am behind right, So I'll catch up one day. We'll see for the podcast.
Speaker 1: Are they longer?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are your friends manger readers or anime only?
Speaker 3: They're actually both.
Speaker 2: Let's go culture.
Speaker 3: I think they're caught up with the manga now, but they watch the anime as the anime comes out.
Speaker 1: Well, they're they're bigger fans than us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, that's all the yup about. I cannot be in the same room as them because I don't want to hear what they're talking.
Speaker 2: I'll watch like some newer episodes because I hear it has like really good animation or something, so like i'll go watch bits and pieces and stuff. But but yeah, I haven't kept up with the anime since uh dress Rosa right as far as like every episode.
Speaker 1: So yeah, no, I'm probably there with you, Jordan, like I watched a good amount on stream and stuff, but like I read the manga religiously, I'll fall behind like four or five chapters, maybe six chapters max. But then like if an episode comes out every now and then, I'll just watch it if I hear like hype about it, even though I haven't watched the last twenty just because I know I've read the manga. I know what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, the arcs are so long and like they're so but they're still so put together. Well yeah that like I just have to like reread it there after, Like I said, even rereading arcs for this podcast, right, like, I feel like I noticed so many things where there's like a vibe to each arc right where it's just it's telling the the ebb and flow of like a singular island story, and I don't know, experiencing get together is better than week the week in my opinion.
Speaker 1: We need to get beside the whole cake asap so that I could finish my wad phone.
Speaker 3: We did get introduced to the Big Mom Pirates, which I think is very very important tribute.
Speaker 2: They do gangsters.
Speaker 3: They show up to part of her crew or two of her crew show up to to fish one island because they make the best candy and they don't have the candy. So Lufi is on the the phone with them male phone forget the name already, and then and goes, yeah, I ate.
Speaker 1: The candy, takes the blame and tells her.
Speaker 3: He takes the blame and tells her off and almost wages basically wages war against her and her crew.
Speaker 2: It's what he do.
Speaker 3: And uh threatens to take over her spot as emperor. So that's really scary, and uh, I think that's our first interaction with Big Mom, right yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we see through that like kind of some of the different UH, I guess world building, you'd you'd call it as far as like out how those power gaps are big filled because I think fisherman island used to be under white Beard, right, and he didn't demand tribute or anything. And then we see that after he's gone, like those gaps are being filled in elsewhere, be black Beard or a Big Mom in this case, right, and she's like demanding they pay a certain amount every every so often, right for her protection so that her flag's there on the island. Right.
Speaker 1: Some people, when we talk about arcs and like say the arc names used to get upset at us, like not drink Poseidon's Watch Through, but drink Animax Watch Through. They would be like, stop talking about Wana or Whole Cake. I'm like, dude, what I watched this for the first time, and when everyone else watched and read this for this time, we knew what what what arcs were gonna be in the New World before they even happen. We're all theorizing. Of course, at some point we're going to Elbath because USAF wants to go to Elbath. Of course, at some point we're going to Whole Cake and or some interaction with Big Mom. Because of what happened on Fishmn Island. We know that Wana is gonna happen at some point. It's been mentioned a few times by now like and we know that.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I don't, but the arc tells you much either, like yes, I don't know, Like it doesn't we do anything.
Speaker 1: For thriller Bark. We know that Reuma came from the land of Wana in the New World, like it's gonna happen, and people used to get pissed. I'm like, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's fine also because I think I mentioned this all the time on this podcast, But I do actively play the card game. I go to locals like four times a week. I have a big tournament coming up. Like I I play the card game. I have like every single meta deck built. I obviously there's gonna be cards in there. Then I'm just like, why does it say that at the bottom of the are Like what is this you know scene? You know, stuff like that. So I do have and I do kind of know, right the timeline of what arcs are going to be coming up, kind of like what to expect character wise, because like I know that Do Flamingo is going to be the main villain and dresser Rosa, Like that's not a secret to me. For me, I think what's important, right is I guess the journey from to get there, yeap. So I mean I already knew Ace was going to die, like, but I didn't know how he was going to die. I didn't know, you know, the events leading up to it. And I think that's the most important part. So I mean, I also understand right where people get upset at the same time, it's like you can't avoid, especially with one Piece. It's so popular, you can't avoid every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been out for twenty five years. It's about the journey. You guys both said it so perfectly.
Speaker 2: These AI algorithms get us figured out way too quickly, Okay, I want to I want to say that, so like I get it. I've been in beside shoes. I will like every picture of Nico Robin I see, and then it's gonna tell me more. It's gonna show me all right, so it knows I like Nico Robbins.
Speaker 1: The algorithm is so strong that I literally have the keywords one piece, one Piece, chapter, I all these keywords on on X like muted, and I like one picture of Robin and it's my entire feed. I'm like, I have the words muted, but they'll say Nico Robin and not use the word one piece, and then somehow things in the newest chapter are still being shown on my timeline because they don't use the word one piece in the fucking tweet. But do I have to do? I have to x out every character as well.
Speaker 2: No, no, And you're not even allowed to ban the word Nico Robin because that's just the sin, right, that is.
Speaker 3: Against the law.
Speaker 1: I would rather get spoiled than not have around my timeline.
Speaker 2: Real it gets along at least fourteenth and the open Oceans. It's it's it's real.
Speaker 1: Stuff, all right, guys. Let's have some final thoughts on Fishman Island and Sabad or the return to Sabo.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think talking about it made me like the arc a little more, but I will say I think it is ranked.
Speaker 1: A little bit lower.
Speaker 3: His favorite arcs. But I do think it was a very very important arc to watch, and I'm actually really looking forward to continuing my journey. I guess next time we talk we'll talk about Punk, Castre and Avoid. I really, I'm telling you right now, I'm halfway done and I love the.
Speaker 2: Arc, so hell yeah, love to hear it.
Speaker 1: I will say, Yeah, the more you talk about one Piece, the more you realize that, wow, this arc was bad, but it was it was bad in comparison to all the S tier arcs that One Piece has, when in reality it's like, oh, that was like a B that was like a B arc or like a C plus arc. It's like that was a very good arc. It's just we're comparing it to and his Lobby Lobby and water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Alabasta for s Tiers.
Speaker 1: And r Along Park and like all these S tier arcs, and it's like, yeah, that was that was just not as good because we didn't like the villain. But at the end of the day, one Piece is peak.
Speaker 2: Speaking of peaks, like I'm still not over how Loofy and Shira Hoshi all right or how they met this art went wild, all right, fling on coral and just like bouncing like a trampoline. He had no idea, right, So that that was the moment that like stuck with my memory.
Speaker 1: Zorro has nothing on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And on that note, I hope you guys enjoyed. Remember to follow the One Piece version on on Spotify and other platforms. Check out The Boys the Anime Dude on Twitch and Presidon Mythos on all the platforms. I'm live on Kick as well these days. I just got partnered, so check me out on Kick, drop me off, follow, I love you guys, shimpock you, and I'll see you all next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,