Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Rihanna just posted a video a short time ago. I can't read what her caption is because it's there are words in it that I can't use, but the title that she wrote on it's just a short, maybe ten second video of her looking beautiful, because she does. And she's sitting in the back of the car and it says POV and for those of you don't know, point of view me trying to sneak into the polls with my son's passport hashtag vote because I can't. Does she think that you take a passport to go vote and that that's how the process works here in the United States of America?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but who cares? Question mark. She also uses the hashtag tan suit season.
Speaker 1: Oh that's as Kamala Harris was wearing a tan suit and remember Obama's tan suit.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he got railed for it. She looked good in the tan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was back when we were in an uproar over the color of a cannibular suits.
Speaker 2: And now all it takes is a squirrel, A porn squirrel.
Speaker 3: A porn squirrel.
Speaker 1: Hey, peanut didn't engage in the porn. You don't know that well, you know more about it than.
Speaker 3: I I do not.
Speaker 2: So I was mentioning this earlier and I just wanted to kind of circle back. I know it's a few hours late, but there is an article in the Guardian that looks at American politics and says that the near monolithic picture of the polls that we've seen, where everything seems to be tied, everything is within the margin of error. Likely voters nationwide, registered voters nationwide, adults nationwide. Michigan farm college educated women are in a statistical tie with Michigan urban men.
Speaker 3: Like everything seems to be tied.
Speaker 2: They said that that monolithic picture has triggered some suspicions among some analysts of herding hr D herding around state pole averages by pollsters, cautious of being proven wrong for the third time.
Speaker 1: I heard somebody say that this morning about how if you just go along with what everyone else is saying, you keep your job. But if you say Trump's up seven points or taking a gamble and for what, then your pole will never be used again.
Speaker 3: If you're that wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just it's the nature of polling itself. You're going to have outliers. You're gonna have polls that have Trump up by seven or Harris up by nine and a half. You're going to have those poles, and you work those in or you basically chop them all. I mean, think of a judging scoring in gymnastics in the Olympics, right, or ice skating. You take the top score and you take the bottom score, and you throw them out, and somewhere in the middle is a better indicator of what the actual score should be.
Speaker 1: And you look at your polsters the same way, right, and then the polsters one, we want to be thrown out, So they just stay nice and even keeled right there in the middle.
Speaker 2: And if their pole comes out and they go this is out of the norm, they won't tell you about it, no, or they'll massage the number some way so it looks more normal than that.
Speaker 3: What else is going on? Time four? What's happening?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 2: Is sponsored by Abner Gap water Damage fire damage burglary.
Speaker 3: Called public Adjuster.
Speaker 2: Abner Gap eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 1: Quincy Jones continues to be remembered by every single person in the world. I mean, the legacy is just massive. I got into reading his obituary this morning, and Emmy, it is lengthy. The things that he touched turned to gold in so many different ways. Of course, you know him from producing Michael Jackson's Thriller to writing winning filmed TV scores, producing shows, collaborating with people like Frank Sinatra and Ray Charles.
Speaker 2: Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Ella Fitzgerald. He composed the soundtrack for Roots, He did the music for In the Heat of the Night. He organized Bill Clinton's first inauguration. He did We Are the World in nineteen eighty five. I mean, just unbelievable in terms of his I think Lionel Richie called him the master orchestrator, but not just of music, I mean of events and careers and just an amazing and.
Speaker 1: Just the spectrum of the types of music that he was able to create is wild.
Speaker 2: That mural that honors Fernando Valenzuela has been unveiled in Boyle Heights. Fernando Mania Forever is a mural painted by Robert Vargas out of East La Unveil on the side of the building yesterday, just days after what would have been Valenzuela's sixty four birthday.
Speaker 4: Of course, we know he passed away just a couple weeks ago.
Speaker 1: The Indonesian island of Flores is home to Mount Luotobi Laki Laki, a volcano that has erupted. They say ten people have died as a series of volcanic eruptions has widened on this remote island.
Speaker 2: Volcanic material thrown almost four miles from the volcano's crater nearby villages, towns. Tons of volcanic debris have forced residents to flee in that area.
Speaker 1: Luotobi Laki Laki. That should be something in Space Wars.
Speaker 3: Write it down.
Speaker 2: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has ended a two and a half year investigation into Ford engine failures after the company was replacing engines or extended warranties on some vehicles.
Speaker 3: Documents said.
Speaker 2: This whole thing opened up in May of twenty two, covered more than four hundred and eleven thousand vehicles from twenty twenty one to twenty twenty two model years, including the F one fifty, Bronco, the Edge, the Explorer, as well as the Lincoln Navigator and the Lottest Nautilus. The agency was looking at catastrophic engine failures caused by intake valves, fracturing, dropping into the cylinder and then hitting the piston.
Speaker 4: That's that would make quite a sound.
Speaker 1: Key k Hernandez at Raising Canes in Alambra, it was a mob scene there Alambre. Alambre Mookie Betts worked to shift at the Valley Boulevard Raising Cane's location back in March.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot of people, doesn't it at a Raising Canes just to see Key K.
Speaker 3: I don't know. There's a lot of people there.
Speaker 1: They've got like the raisin canes near me, they've got like two drive through lines like you see at some McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Never in my life have I been to a raisin.
Speaker 2: Can nor have I I know my sister and her family they every chance they get.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, what makes it so delectable? I do not know.
Speaker 2: I will say this, she had three boys between the ages of fifteen and say twenty three at the time when the Raising Canes made it to their town.
Speaker 1: Those boys like chicken. Yeah, that's a that's a prime fried chicken age.
Speaker 2: And I guess it's probably that it's it's an easy choice. It's probably like in and out in that. You know, there's not a lot of menu variations. It's all tenders, and it's all chicken tenders.
Speaker 5: All chicken tenders, and you get a three piece, four piece, five piece, eight piece, and it's in this.
Speaker 3: But the sauce is delicious, overrated though, I have to how dare you? Chick fil A is way better? Hure? Yeah.
Speaker 5: One, you're not missing much with canes, but the sauce is pretty good because.
Speaker 1: Chick fil A is kind of like a softer, softer experience, fluffier skin. Raising cane's skin looks kind of hard. It falls off, so it falls off. Yeah, it's not attached to the chicken. It's like it slides off. Oh yeah, God, that's awful. It was not.
Speaker 3: I didn't enjoy my experience. I wanted to be into the hype and I didn't enjoy it. Oh well, this is partially brought to you by raising can raising skin on this chicken? Am I right?
Speaker 2: Gas fantasy for play. When we come back to Gary and Shannon, see.
Speaker 1: Neil says, Raising Canes is amazing, small menu, but everything done to perfection.
Speaker 3: The sauce is amazing. Yeah, Jacob, Yeah, Jacob. Oh, Well, I'm taking Neil's advice and that's a good point. Well.
Speaker 1: Teams are halfway through this twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 3: Heads have begun to roll.
Speaker 1: Raiders have fired three offensive coaches, including the oc there after an awful two to seven start to the season.
Speaker 3: The Saints fired their head coach as.
Speaker 1: Well after losing to the hapless Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 3: Thanks for starting to settle a little bit in.
Speaker 2: Why why fire reoffensive coaches but not the head coach?
Speaker 1: Maybe he's a defensive head coach. Maybe he has got nothing to do with the offense's Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Can think about them, Sonight, Tampa Bay Buccaneers are in Kansas City to take on the Chiefs. Yesterday, the Chargers won in Cleveland twenty seven to ten. Rams beat the Seahawks in overtime twenty six to twenty. Can I say I predicted that.
Speaker 3: You did? You did, and I was the one who told you about it.
Speaker 2: We got gas Fantasy four play on Friday, and I said that this game was going to be a snoozer, that the Rams and the Seahawks was going to be a mediocre game.
Speaker 3: At best.
Speaker 1: I mean, it wasn't that bad, but no, you said it was going to end in overtime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I know that this isn't card Sharks, and I have to pick either higher or lower. But if I had to make a side bet, I would say that this is the first game that goes into overtime mediocre overtime, so I can't pick a tie. And then I went on to pick the Seahawks to win, which may there be games that went into overtime, I know, but that's why I relying on Jacob and he led me down a path of falsehoods.
Speaker 3: Why would you rely on Jacob for anything? It's a really bad.
Speaker 2: Because you didn't speak up when I asked if this was the only if there had been a regular.
Speaker 1: Listen, you were on a roll and I wasn't gonna freaking put up a blockade for that.
Speaker 3: True. You didn't want to stop me. Wow, second play, Shan it makes you crumpy. It's early. It's very early. Remember what you said when I went on four even.
Speaker 1: The Giants were still contenders at this time in the baseball season.
Speaker 4: Wow? That okay, how many shots are you gonna take? One?
Speaker 3: Erow?
Speaker 1: Well, you said something to me not that long ago, because we went to an event and I brought my sister with me, and she came out of the gate swinging at you, saying is your hair higher because your forehead looks bigger or something. And you said to me, I think your sister takes shots at me because you cannot. And in my head I was like, what do you mean I cannot? I take all the shots I want. This isn't a shot free zone. Get ready for some shot shots. But this is a fun season. So tonight it's the Chiefs at home playing Tampa Bay. Yes, yes, you know, you look at like the Lions play, right, You look at some of these teams play that aren't undefeated, but damn near like the Lions sitting at seven and one, they look like such a better team than the Chiefs. And that's not me hating on the Chiefs and not a hater. I recognize great teams and great players, but they just don't look undefeated to me.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: We've said that about whether it's this team or other teams like it, where you can spackle together wins when you shouldn't, you can be well at least in the standings much higher than it appears you should be. Yeah, because you're not. Things are not working well for you. They seem to be in that boat. But it'll be fun. I mean, it'd be a good it'll be a good contest tonight. And I think they're finally getting back to the normal.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's gonna be great. The Buccaneers have receiver still, right, Jacob. See, yeah, no, you just told me not to define. I was giving him a second chance.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, redeem himself.
Speaker 1: And in Kansas City, it's a really hard place. I wouldn't be surprised if this is lopsided. Has it started getting cold yet back there?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah? Oh yeah, I mean let me.
Speaker 2: Look, because that sometimes has an impact, and especially a team out of Tampa Bay where it's you know, it's like California weather there with plus hurricanes.
Speaker 3: That's actually not bad.
Speaker 1: But there's a chance of rain thunderstorms today.
Speaker 3: Also, I think this is DeAndre Hopkins's first game with them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that'll be fun to see them. That'll be fun to see. Yeah, another weapon for Patrick Mahomes Like he can't make things happen with nobody.
Speaker 3: But the other football stories. You went to go see Oregon at Michigan. Oh yeah, how could I forget? That was very cool.
Speaker 1: It's about a two and a half two and a half two and forty five minute drive to Ann Arbor, Michigan from Cleveland, so we did that in the Big House. Does not disappoint the fervor of that crowd. One of my good friends from college, her husband, they lived there over there, and he was there, so we went to his tailgate party beforehand and just wonderful people. You know, spending time in Ohio and then to Michigan, you just realize how good people are and they look out for each other and there's a lot of pride, and it's just I love.
Speaker 3: Going to the Midwest, I really do.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, you're walking into the stadium in Cleveland, welcome.
Speaker 3: To Cleveland, Hope if you need anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, people are just so much more hospitable in other parts of the country than here in la where everyone's out for themselves.
Speaker 2: We have a saying in our house now that we if you're if we have grumpy face or whatever, you.
Speaker 3: Need to text us your face a little bit.
Speaker 2: I know it's not Midwest, but I mean just in terms of there are people who are million times nicer as parts of this country than they are here.
Speaker 3: Yes, so, because we used to say fix your face, right, but now.
Speaker 2: Just just textas your face. Okay, just smile, Just smile at anybody, everybody?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Okay, now I see that's not a Texas smile. That's more like a joker smile. That's like a Heath Ledger joker smile.
Speaker 1: If you ask for a smile, well I want you to meet it for a smile.
Speaker 2: We know that our friend Laura Ingle from News Nation has been traveling with the Harris campaign but also with the Trump campaign.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for this to be over?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 5: Hello, hitting my If my car, if my rental car were like my Apple Watch, I was getting steps, I'd be doing very well. Because we have been in many cities for the last four days and traversing the very important state of Pennsylvania. And yes, as you mentioned, we've been following the Harris campaign a bit. We went and saw Michelle Obama and on behalf of VP Harris the other day, and we were in Pennsylvania. We were in Lancaster County yesterday with the former president and his remarks at an airport, which was very interesting. And now we are in Pittsburgh, in Alleghany County, where there is just I can't even describe it. I mean, it's the biggest crowd that is so thick and wide, that wraps around many city blocks here Intosburg getting into the TVG Paint Arena for a six pm rally by the former president. As we move in closer to election day, there's a lot.
Speaker 1: There's a great, great dive bar in Pittsburgh. It's called Lefties. Tell them I sent you.
Speaker 3: Now you've been. There were times I.
Speaker 1: Know you've been to both of You've been rallies for both candidates. Is there stark differences in what are those?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: I would say that the enthusiasm and the energy is high for both. It is a little bit of a different energy in terms of I guess the people that come to these rallies, but the people that have been speaking on stage have really been setting the town. Like yesterday, we had Danica Patrick up on stage and that was exciting and everybody loved to hear from her. And we were out in the crowd talking to people and it didn't really you know, as I was talking to supporters for both candidates. I asked, is there anything that you wish that they would have said different or done different? Is there anything that everybody has their minds made up that we have spoken to? And it's all about the undecided voter, as we know, that is what these rallies are all about, to try and get those last and final people off the couch to get to the polls. And so let's have people and yelling and bears are being sold. I don't know what is happening right now, or they're telling people to make sure that there's nothing inside of their bags as we're getting ready to be let in Sea Areena. But I don't know if you I'm sure you guys saw this the part that made some news yesterday. As the former president. I was on the media risers at the event in Lancaster County where he was talking about the bulletproof protective glass in front of him and he said, you know, if somebody was going to get to me, they would have to shoot through you know, they would have to get through the media, and I wouldn't mind that and a lot of people, you know, I was up on the riser when he said that, and I was filming actually when he said that, I put that on my Instagram and we all looked at each other. Everybody stopped what they were doing. All the producers and reporters and photographers, everybody kind of looked up and said, what did you just say? And then the Trump campaign quickly put out a statement saying, you know, he wasn't saying that he wanted he was okaying anybody to cause farm the media. He was saying more that the media deserved the same type of protection. So a very quick spin from the Trump campaign on that, which we read that and we all looked at each other and thought, wow, that that is not what it felt like.
Speaker 2: How busy was how busy is that office? In the Trump campaign? The well, what he really meant was office right right.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: And the other thing that he said at that podium in Lancaster County is that he is going against the advice of his He's saying, I'm going a little bit off script here, and he was making kind of a motion up and down. He said, you know, I'm connecting these dots and I goes a little here, and it goes a little there, and you know, he was kind of he went off script, and he admittedly said he was going off script for a revent because he wanted to give the people what they wanted. He said he wanted to give them the authentic Trump and just to go off the talking point. So you know, there were a lot of Secret Service agents surrounding him, there were snipers up on the roof, and everybody, you know, was just on high alert yesterday as they are for Harris as well. I saw the same thing at the rally where Michelle Obama's former kirk Lady was on Saturday. So it's been certainly a very interesting time. But you know what, I still it's incredible to see the amount of support for both candidates and the amount of people that come out to these events. That many people who speak to they said, we've already cast our vote. They just want to be a part of history. So as you when you see that on your TV screens and you hear it on the radio and you see the amount of people, know that a lot of people. I think we're at eighty million people who have already cast their early votes in this election, So there are people here that just want to be a part of the process. And each side is absolutely convinced that their candidate is going to win.
Speaker 3: So I mean tomorrow is going to be why what does your tomorrow look like?
Speaker 5: So we are actually discussing that right now because we're trying to coin down. We're going to stay in Pennsylvania. A News Nation has dedicated three teams to traverse this state and that is what we have been doing for the last four days. So I'm going to be at wherever the GOP headquarters will be. There still actually determining where any kind of a Trump watch party is going to be, So wherever that's going to be is where I'm going to be. So we'll be in place for that. But you've got to remember, even if you see somebody on TV at noon, know that that reporter and that team of people have been dealing with getting through security and clearing secret service for hours and hours. So we have to to you know, travel probably to Bucks County is going to be my guest, the all important Bucks County. We've got another team, Caitlin Becker is going to be with the Dems and Hennaedoba is also going to be traversing the date as well. So we've got you know, we're just kind of waiting for things to fall into place, because even with the events that we thought over the weekend. I was talking to a group of ladies that were at the Trump rally yesterday and they said that they it was kind of a last minute decision of where the event was going to be held, and they just jumped in the car and started driving from Maryland see at the Pennsylvania so that they could be a part of it. And thankfully it's been good weather here on the East Coast. It's unseasonably warm, and people are just happy to be out and be a part of the profits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 2: I did turnout was somewhere around sixty six, sixty seven, forty years ago.
Speaker 3: We'll see what it is now.
Speaker 5: Laura, thank you, all right, we'll talk to you too.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Laura Engle there, of course from News Nation in Pittsburgh with the Trump campaign today, but as you mentioned, it's going to stick around there in Pennsylvania tomorrow.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, I think to myself, who does that for a politician or what have you? But I do that for a football game. I do that for a football team. I mean, unfortunately, I thought about that as well.
Speaker 2: In that this weekend, I was acutely aware of the celebrity status that we have imposed on or given to our politicians, and very much so, I think in the last thirty or forty years, probably more so than any time previous. Celebrity status not just like elevated status that this is a person who's serving the country, or this is somebody who's you know, trying to do something policy wise to make sure that we go down the right track, but celebrity status.
Speaker 3: We want to know everything about their families.
Speaker 2: We want to know where they went to school, We want to know anybody's got any dirt on them, what are they like behind closed door? There's not be that attentive to these people. You know, we should not be bestowing upon them that celebrity status because I think it then it attracts the wrong kind.
Speaker 4: Of people to that world. Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.