Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to a very special edition of Full Circle the Podcast. Last our last episode, I racked my brain in the morning trying to figure out what a useful response was to the news. There's just so much going on, and you know, within our own community of trans and gender non performing folk, there's we're playing whack a mole in this country, and uh, you know, we have another mass shooting in you of all Texas, and you know, there's nothing I'm going to say that that every raging liberals isn't saying, and I'm going to leave that to them. We are in the very fortunate position of having a dear friend who is a two time Peabody Award winning radio host. For thirty five years, almost thirty five years in Philadelphia and more than thirty five years throughout this country. She has hosted children's radio. She hosts WXPN's Kids Corner, which I you know, with the advent of technology, is no longer just a little local show. You can listen to Kids Corner almost anywhere and we'll provide that link. Welcome to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 1: Kathy O'Connell thank you, Thank you so much. It's so cool to be here at your table, like I've never been there anywhere any time you read more. But yes, and thank you for that kind introduction, and I will try to live up to it because the fact is, as soon as I thought about Okay, music forbid, where do you go for bad times? I went back to and you're talking about, you know, going back a long way, the Challenger, and that kind of was where my go to comes from, which is the Rainbow Connection. The Rainbow Connection, which, if you've ever seen the documentary about Paul Williams who Will Know is the most popular song or well known song in the world. But it also is this self reflective why song about things that have no explanation and no answer. And the thing is, in a world where adults and kids are really kind of dealing with the same horrendous experience at once, we're all in that scene, but we're all you know on that you know, in that canoe with Kermit or however the Muppet Show starts, you know, goes there. But that's the fact. And it's times like that when kids immediately are asking, you know, are asking all, you know, questions that we don't have an answer to. Yeah, and that not only do we not have an answer to, but the answer we may have in the moment it may be so you know, full of emotion that we're really not doing ourselves or our kids. You have that much good And aren't you glad you asked one simple question that I just went off on.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm going to come back to it. Do you even ask a question I didn't yet?
Speaker 3: You know, we didn't even say who we were yet. For I am Martha Magical and I am Charles Tyson Junior.
Speaker 2: Okay we got that. Yeah, Okay, there, my goodness. Thank you. See he pays attention to the details.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why he's the producer.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. I just I sit here and try to be pretty and you do for thank you. For those who don't know your show, would you give us an overview?
Speaker 1: It's a basically a call in radio show for kids. It's aimed at officially at ages six through twelve. I get them all over the place, and you know, I've done it so long now that I get kids who grew up listening to me, who are now adults who may have children of their own, or who may not have children of their own right who also definitely listen to me. And but uh, it started out as every day call ins, but technology and changes in the last couple of years especially, have evolved to the point where it's live with call ins two nights a week and that's me and the kids just talking to each other. And the rest of the time it's a mix of science, you know, conversations and you know, regular contributors and guests on a variety of subjects that are interesting to kids, like you know, science and pets and and you know, it's something that you're actually going to learn from occasionally.
Speaker 2: Right and book.
Speaker 1: But but what what it really is, it's a sales show that you learn from occasionally.
Speaker 2: We will we will get to Soupy. He's on here. Did you want to get to Soupy now? And just get that out of the now?
Speaker 1: Okay, not yet, but just as an explanation a part of my approach, Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, And it's and it's an amazing approach. And it's always fascinated me that you know, in this era of screen time, you know when kids are just bombarded with with visual things and and and they've got video games and they've got they've got smartphones in front of them, cocoa, lemon, you melon or whatever. You still have a loyal listener ship. I don't even know. You still have a loyal listenership of children who call in, who pay attention, you know, and get that time on the radio, either to answer a question or play an instrument or you know. And a lot of the times, I know you do have topics, so they're calling in to share something specific. One of the things I learned I never realized this as a kid is until I had children of my own who were your listeners. There's a big difference between kind of talking at kids and talking to kids, and that you are the master of talking to kids and really with them. That's true. Seen you do it. Yeah, Well it amazes me because you get them to talk. You get really shy children to talk to you.
Speaker 1: And I wish I knew how, and I kind of do. But because I've been thinking about this as we you know, came to the last few days to you know, the real crux of it. And I finally came to it while I was walking my dog, and that is I nobody ever talked in my family. We talked we were funny and witty and you know, said a lot and talked at each other and you you know, I can tell you a million stories about my family, but as far as talking with us about anything, and without going into a whole lot of detail, let's just say, my there's a line from All about Eve, What a story? Everything but the Bloodhounds snapping at a rear end. And that's basically my childhood. And you know, life as it is for so many people, and nobody in my family kind of ever talk to us about it. So things just happened and I didn't realize when I was a kid. Well, you know, the one thing you just know when you're a kid is that you are powerless, right, you know, because really you are. And if you don't think you have any power to ask, well, wait a minute, what's going on here? And you know what about me? If you don't think you have that power to ask, that nobody's going to give it to you, especially if they came from a family where nobody ever talked to each other. Right. So I just think maybe part of it is a I was always a really good babysitter, you know, I just really was be you know, I love to talk, but also no, no grown up like really ever kind of talk to me like that in my life, right, and maybe I learned from from not having it.
Speaker 2: And you know, my my parents are probably about ten years older than or younger than yours would be, so like, you know, but there's still that kind of depression generation. And they didn't they didn't include us. They you know, we picked up, we gleaned from their conversations and what we overheard, but we weren't part of the conversation. You've even at times brought in experts on your show, Okay to talk about really hard things like domestic violence and sexual abuse and hopefully spark conversations. And that that to me is incredible because it is giving children that agency that they don't have.
Speaker 1: And the vast majority of kids, as I said, you know, it's a call and show and it's great, and the interaction of me with kids, it is a lot of fun to listen to. But the fact is the vast number of kids who are listening to kids corner and who might get something out of what I'm doing, do not call and may just be the kid who's sitting in a bedroom in you know, the middle of nowhere and thinks they're nobody else like them in the world. And here's somebody who knows what they're talking about, right, talk to them and validate you, saying, yeah, you should not be getting hit you, you know that, just letting them know that, Yeah, here's somebody who knows what they're talking about telling you something directly. And my role in that is, Okay, here's somebody you know. You know, she's an idiot on the radio, but you know her and she's bringing her so there's a certain level of trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is amazing.
Speaker 1: I am grateful every day, as you know, I do do. I fell into this, you know.
Speaker 2: When when we were emailing back and forth, I mentioned I wear pink because I think that.
Speaker 1: Was the first.
Speaker 2: And I do wear conversation some of it, some of it has come from you. So I'm going to say, uh, there is no question and should be no question that Kathy O'Connell is a staunch ally to the trans community. My wardrobe reflects it, my heart reflects it. And you know, I know many of the trans folks who are now walking around as adults, who you have walked with over the years and now they're they're turning thirty, and they're vibrant, and they're they're out there being anarchists and shaking things up, rabble browsers, and I adore it. But I remember, and I think you brought the song to my attention because there was an email you had gotten pushedback. Yes, I think was that the first time somebody called you an anarchist or what was the term communist?
Speaker 1: Six months go by and I don't get called the communists. It's something you know, And I'm not flipping up to my union ancestors.
Speaker 2: Thank God for public radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and and honestly, I'm surprised I don't get a whole lot more complaints just because we'll get it. We'll get deeply into the other stuff I do play, But yeah, we should. Background. The song is called I Wear Pink. It's from a band called Hullabaloo, which is basically two guys from California, and the song was introduced at a gathering of kids independent artists KINDI Artists. We had a w XPN for Kindy coom and Steve Denis, the musician who wrote who created it, got up on stage during a showcase was like, I just wanted to like cut test out this song and I forget this is the audience to do it with, and it's you know it. The first lyrics are, you know, I play with dolls and I wear pink. I don't care at all what anybody thinks. And it's just this, you know, he is who he is, and I kind of think it's, you know, given what's come after it and the loud, proud music that's come out since then a few years ago, it's kind of middle. You know, really, this is what you're excited about. Because when and I got a letter, I got an email about it, an angry email from a parent. You know, I know the homosexual agenda was in there somewhere. You know, I know that was mentioned in there. But you know, and I for and this, like we said, thank god for Public Radio forwarded it because I'm a good company girl. I am. Lisa Simpson routed it to my bosses just to say, just so you're aware, you know, fallen mama commie again, should I respond? And luckily I also I have a program director who once said to me, when I responded, shall we say angrily to that? To something? Someone said, why don't you just respond? Thank you for your thoughts. And he said that to me years ago, and it's like, you know, so I go and I said to both, do you want me to say thank you for your You know, I'll respond if you want. And you know, my program director said, no, some things just don't deserve response if you want to, but it really doesn't deserve response, like you, dude, don't listen to me. Good thank you.
Speaker 2: For your thoughts.
Speaker 3: That sounds like bless your heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does exactly. I didn't stop playing it. And and oh there's so much more. Yeah, think you're going to complain about I wear a pig? Oh wait, wait, do you hear.
Speaker 3: Say their names?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We are gonna. Yeah, we are going to put together a playlist that we will share with this episode, and a lot of it is now talking about trans and gender nonconforming kids. And you know, it's amazing to me. It's just amazing to me because a lot of the debate is around what is age appropriate, and it's like, oh, come on, because kids are so resilient. And you know, I say often, our real fight is that we are real. That's that's our biggest you know, because everyone coming against us with religion and politics is that's their premise that we don't really exist, we don't know ourselves, and they know us better. And there's all this music coming out for children that just says you're real, you're real, and you play it. There's some great stuff out.
Speaker 1: There I got to jump into and because truly I point that's what I do, that's my job, and that's I pointed things that some incredible people have created. And the fact is, if if there were not a market for this music, and that market is we are everywhere, trans families, every kid, every five year old, no a trans kid or no someone or no. They may not know the words for it yet, but they're just okay, it's you know, another person, it's part of who you are. And kids are so accepting. And the fact is, these are wonderful musicians who are singing from their hearts and you know, truly creating from their hearts. But also because they say, there's many more of us out there, there's many more parents of trans kids and allies of trans kids, and teachers and kids of trans people who all operate together and vote please us, But who exist? You know, Billy Tipton, look them up. Okay, Billy Tipton and if you're scratching your head, learn your history.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: And we need to recognize that, you know, just because we try to wrap kids' brains in bubble wrap, that does not make them stupid. You know, they can see, they can hear, they know what's going on around them.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: And another element of that to two turls is and this is like, there's an old joke about the kid who says to his you know parents, where did they come from? And they go into a whole song and dance explaining reproduction and science and blah blah, and all they want to know is so, you know, Joey said he's from Hoboken. I want you know where from? You know, Lily on Modern Family, my parents are gay, so I'm gay. She announced, I'm gay. You know it. It's like there's they're so you can you can send out a message without hitting kids and people over the head with it, right, and the whole Oh honey, this is how you're supposed to think. Genre of kids music, which thankfully has kind of gone by the wayside long ago, has been replaced and energized by this energy of more energy of real life, and you see it reflected in a lot of subject matter, including racial equality and issues of you know, issues of things that are being shut down all over the Oh you were attempted to be shut down. But you can't. You know, you can't stop the beat you.
Speaker 3: Get out of my head, lady.
Speaker 1: It always gets back to show tunes.
Speaker 2: It always does, it really does, you know. In through the pandemic, we actually so our bar was closed because normally when you're what, you know, your show is on at seven thirty our time or seven to eight our time, so we would be in the bar and we would be working, and you know everybody wanted to watch Jeopardy, right yeah, yeah, But during the pandemic, but we were regular listeners, and you know, I don't know how many times how many songs came out of what was going on at the moment, you know, with the you know, the protests and all of that, like say their names Yes, which made me.
Speaker 3: I was sitting on the couch sobby he was because that song was so perfect in every way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've learned to just put Shazam on auto when Kids Corner is on because because I get tired of picking up my phone every time I hear a song going what's that?
Speaker 2: What's that? What's that?
Speaker 1: And by the way, on the air, exactly exactly working.
Speaker 3: But you know you're my my media guru. Anyway, that's just another aspect of it. It's like, Wow, this is kid's music. Wow, I'm gonna put this on my playlist.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know.
Speaker 1: And I get to point at it. I get to point to the real world being done by and and I have to I have to give a shout out right now to radio we w EE and it's uncle Devin, who is a brilliant drummer and radio person who created a radio show on the pacifica station out of Washington, and we can we can address this today or even do another whole thing on this about the how white The Grammys were a few years ago at a time when a lot of music was being created by people of color about their own experience historically, and also then Black Lives Matters, you know, came to the streets where people came together in the streets to address some of this, and and the Grammys, their nominations in the kid Music category did not reflect the brilliance of the music being made that year, right, It was basically, uh, it was basically a bunch of white people at a time when some of the most brilliant music I have ever heard it almost forty years of kids music was being created by a couple of artists saw Paul Piers Freelan just you know, brilliant, brilliant stuff, and Hugue there's the name, and a lot of artists got to another and said, way to you know, white and black, you know, people of color and white said hey, wait a minute, here's all this great stuff, and we know it's being made by a real variety of people. How come it's not being reflected in the thing that's supposed to reflect the best of our industry. Right now, we can do a whole thing about how I do not actually believe the Grammys to reflect the best of our industry, and blah blah blah, they don't ask me, right, But and the good work the Grammys do and and truly do, which has now been magnified because as more people of color have entered the Grammy system and have increased the you know, the representation of these songs of power, of power and empowerment and songs that you know, black women in history uh, black people created stem these are actual songs, by the way. Up. I'll give you the playlist, you know. And Uncle Devin out of Radio Wei and you can find it online. And we love we love Uncle Devin that he plays everything I play. I play the music. I like he plays such a rich mix of music for kids of color because and I know you have heard me say this, black people got money now, and we have to stop approaching people of color like they're the poor relations.
Speaker 2: Right right right, right right, because.
Speaker 1: Too much media, you know, just it just does all right.
Speaker 2: I think this was the first year when when when the Grammy nominations were announced in the in the kids category, that you said, I'm good with whoever wins.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really was. And I wasn't just saying that to be nice, right.
Speaker 2: I know it was us. I mean you wouldn't have been there.
Speaker 1: You would have just said, well really, you know.
Speaker 2: But you had said it's come so far quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really did, and and it and it's not. I don't Also, I don't want to make a people. I don't want to make it sound like people who have joined this genre who are not white, you know, white guys with guitars we've always been white guys with guitarists. You know, I don't want to make it sound like they're just you know, all doing this hit you over the head with you know, politics and history and and all of that. There's this rich, just you know, mosaic that the music that we are being just we are being enriched. Fine, yes, and just so just check out artists who got together the All One Tribe Collective by Aaron Nigel Smith and I you know, I'm not I'm go find it One Tribe Collective like there are well and just as the Songs for Trans and Binary Kids collection, there are artists who are putting together or empowering collections of these songs and of these messages that are available in a way directly to kids and families like they never have been before. And by supporting the artists directly, you know, by their CDs. Yeah you don't have a CD player, Go find one, Go ask Grandma for a CD player. Buy there there online stuff by they can market and sell directly to their audience that that needs it and can benefit most from it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, and I think you know, as the pendulum swings politically and right now, we're we're you know, we're just being inundated with with politics. I think the pendulum with the arts always swings, you know, kind of in the opposite direction to say, we're all still here too. Yeah, yeah, we're all still here, and we're all looking at the world that you are and saying, you know, we have to respond. And I just think it's incredible that these things exist. I mean, none of this existed when we were kids, none of it. No, no, And now it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: You and I have to you know, Ella Jenkins and Pete Seeger and Tom Paxton. I mean, there are giants upon whose you know, shoulders I stand of the musical community. But at the same time, and if I may take it back to a certain name we've conjured already. The nineteen sixty one Grammy Award nominees included Soup Be Sales for The Soupy Sales Show and Leonard Bernstein for some version of The Young People's Guide to the Orchestra that no real kids ever listened to, And oh guess who won. So the Grammys have never exactly been about what real kids listened to, and now it is.
Speaker 2: Right, that's great, that's amazing. That's the difference.
Speaker 1: I worked him in like at the halfway point you did.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed.
Speaker 3: It's like a skilled ye.
Speaker 1: Like more like a vocation.
Speaker 2: But okay, you I've read something that I did not know that when you did get started at WBA, I as a volunteer on the floor in nineteen seventy nine. It was in response two three Mile Island, Three Mile Island, I never knew that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So my friend Larry Lee there there. I was an orphan living in Manhattan. Yes, but my friend Larry Lee, who was one of the kids who hung out at Channel five. But you know, when Soupy Sales did his show there and who's very political, and it was a big environmental activist, three Mile Island happened and he told me about demonstrations that were happening, and he said, and you know, if you really want information, you should listen to you know, you should turn on w BAI. And I kind of vaguely knew kind of about w BAI, but I listened to. I hated talk radio because my father listened to talk radio, and anything big Tom you know, had anything to do with I wanted nothing to do with. But I was forced to listen to, like Bob Brant and Edin Pegeen Fitzgerald and then like people just yammering on AM radio in the early sixties. And it wasn't all Jeane Shepherd, believe me, and but it was like and I turned it on, I was like, wait a minute. People are talking to me, and smart people are talking to me, and sometimes stupid people are talking to me, and or smart people are saying stupid funny things. And and I started volunteering answering phone and they're always looking for volunteers. And I started answering phones and I said, oh, honey, I'm home. I walked in and basically said, honey, I'm home. I like what And I found a bunch of kindred spirits which if which if you've ever met them, could be for good or bad. Well, power of the medium of radio, the power of that solely audio medium, and what you could do with it, and even if it's just and with me, as you know, it all evolves around me. But I felt so good and it was what it brought to me by being on the radio, more than oh, look at what I can create year what wonders like? And I happened to just be really good at it, you know, at talking to people in the middle of the night nice.
Speaker 2: And didn't somebody walk out at w n y C.
Speaker 1: What didn't is considered okay. So I okay. I was at w b A I and I wanted to make money, and you put in the one thing people kept telling me in commercial radio was if you want to make money, go move somewhere and come back to New York. And I never do things halfway. So I moved to California, worked in a couple of commercial like legendary commercial stations actually kfat look it up, a big book on it, and then came back to New York and I got a job as a board operator, you know, running the as an engineer at w n y C, the public radio station in New York City, and I was I came back and right away got a show back at BAI. By the way I was, you know, it was still you know, Hail the Conquering Year. I would when I came back and figured out more how to talk to people. But and I was boardopping a show called Senior Edition, and I was hired by and he is now dead. And I believe as I was at Betty Davis, who said, I do not speak, I only say good things about the dead, So he's dead good. His name was Larry Miller, and he was the single worst human being I have ever worked for in my entire life. And I loaded boxes in the Lipton factory in Santa Cruz, California. So I put bugs out of cashoes out of plans of cashews. And it was not as said Miller and get and the thing with the board at w n y C was I sat in the room with Marty Wayne, the lovely old man who was doing senior edition. I was in the room with them. I'm like just a few feet away from him, live in the room, and I would play the wrong some stupid thing. I'd push the wrong button because I used to be really good at technical stuff. I am not any Morris. I believe you, as Charles, were really ascertaining when I bring my laptop over to him, just saying, here, show me what to do. I don't know anyway, lap for all you know, this person, whose name I will not say again, it was just a terrible human being. But he started he had a dream of doing a call in show for kids, and he wanted to call it Small Things Considered, and he partnered with a woman named Barbara Rosen, whose husband was one of the one of the hostages in Iran, and it was a three was it three hours? My god? It could have been, but they had they used like they had and they ran Michael JACKSON'SDT recording. They ran a lot of recorded programming from NPR, but it was a block of children's programming and part of it was Collins. And because he was such a mean human beings Sammy, Sammy, Sammy, Well, she gets angry, very angry about about when I talk about this person, so as you can hear. And so he made me do the best of Small Things Considered, a shortened version that ran on Saturdays. Was this part of my job when I got hired, No, but I had to do it. So I got to know the rhythm and everything of this stupid show that he and this woman did, and I got to know the library of me, and I got to know, you know, just everything. And one day I'm sitting there and part of my job too, was babysitting tape that back when they had tapes, and I was babysitting whatever tape it was of I think All Things Considered that you know, came in on a reel to reel and to Dreux and Barbara Rosen stormed into the studio that I'm in and started pulling records and started loading them into bags, and you know, not my records, so you know, and I haven't picked through them yet to take home and play on BAI, So I don't know what'sle with thought. And he's muttering like, try to do this without us, and blah blah blah, and they they walk out. Now, Small Things Considered was supposed to come on live in an hour and a half, and truly an hour and a half from that moment, and I'm just in and the tapes are running that I got nothing to do except watch this tape make sure we don't go off the air once again. I have an easy job and four people in suits and Mary Nichols, the then general manager of w n y C, who eventually fired me, uh well, laid me off and is now dead. Uh. They came in and one of them said we need you to help us out, and I said, uh huh and explained, well, you know, they walked off, and there's this live kids show that's about to I said, you let me talk. I'll do anything you want. And that was how me on Small Things Considered was born. And halfway through I said to Larry or Fheley, who is a lovely man, who was my partner, who became my partner on Small Things Considered, who was the program director at w n y S. Was that then I said to halfway through it, I said I want to do this, and I got the job and Small Things Considered, which won its own Peabody Award.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Beget a national show called Kids America where they brought in all suddenly they had a whole lot of money and to pay everybody but you know me, And then we got canceled on Christmas Eve nineteen eighty seven, and Kids Corner started January fourth, nineteen eighty eight. Okay, out of all that, find something, Yeah, that all saga.
Speaker 2: Where I was going, And I love that story. It's you know, it's the serendipity of it all. Yes, and you know, but the fact that you came to radio as a result of a tragedy and all of these things happened as a result. It's like once you're where you belong and you're kind of aligning with just what you're here to do, kind of you know. I mean, really that's your story. Those things all happened, and then.
Speaker 1: You figure out who you are, and kids figure out who they are. You know, some some of them do like, you know, really young. But once you figure out, you know, it's true. It's like I, you know, once that thunderbolt hits there it is and falling into this. I mean, I was really good at radio, and I was really you know, I did you know I could still do it, you know, if things go south here, I could still do rock n roll, you know, Jock and all of that. But the kids thing is something that really stuck.
Speaker 2: Well, I said to you, and I you know, I remember texting you after well while it was on because it was taped for International Women's Day. It was just the first time I had ever heard you not doing your kids show, and it was brilliant. The music you curated, it was the story you told. I was like, of course, she can do this, she can do anything on the radio. But it really was. It was great. It was great.
Speaker 1: I had so much fun to do with that. Oh I played Julie Brown. Yeah, I like him big and stupid. How could it not be great?
Speaker 2: It was so much fun and just the mix of music and the knowledge that you brought, Like, you know, it's really the crux of what XPN is about, and it's what you do with kids music. And I'm just used to that. But I was like, well, damn well, damn right.
Speaker 1: I come from and if I may start bringing him up a little bit, my media dad, my professional dad, in many ways, my second personal dad was Soupy Sales. Now, when you read up on the life of Soupy Sales, so many things in his life happened because it was just job. I still a joke. Was it was a job? And why did you play your why did you bring in your jazz music collection to use on your show? That's all I had. I didn't have any money. So and much like Soupy give this improvisational you know, you gotta be ready because it's a job, and you know, just to have be ready at any moment for anything, and you know kind of that that has paid off. Also a line from Funny Girl, which is the moment when Barbara streisand And in this version is asked you can roller skate, can't you? And she says can I roll or skate. It's basically how you have to approach everything. It's a job. But I learned to be, you know, quick on my feet, which I am not otherwise, you know, because I believe of and seeing and his influence and a lot of him.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, And I realized as I was thinking about this interview, part of what I did as a parent was, you know, just keep things routine, keep things going, because you know, my kids went through a lot of funerals and they were young, and but it was, yes, we're really sad. Yes this is hard, and I need you to do your homework, you know what I mean, and we're going to do it together. And it was just that. And bedtime is still nine point thirty. And that's because there's comfort in that for kids to have that routine.
Speaker 1: Yes, a bedtime, well, bedtime of what.
Speaker 2: Know, I think, knowing what to expect, I always.
Speaker 1: Remember Also again here we back back to my childhood grandmother. I never went to sleep before the eleven o'clock news was over, and I never asked about anything. So there were gorillas fighting us, Yeah, in Vietnam. Gorilla's mine view.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what you're talking about because I did Florida.
Speaker 1: Every year we drove to Florida on vacation. I started sleeping under the covers with the covers pulled over my head because Fidel Castro was going to burst into our motel room at the Sahara Motel in Miami Beach, because nobody ever and when also when I did have a reaction to something like a house blew up in the housing development next to ours blew up, and I got really scared of the stove to the point was like, I wouldn't go in the room if the if the flame of the stove was on. And I love my mother, and please do not judge her, only so many worse things to judge her by. But she finally had enough really quickly, and she's like, oh, you jack ass, come And she just gave me no choice but to get over it, right, which, honestly, when you get when you have no other choices, and so bad because you could do kind of learn to move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where I was trying to go, I'm you.
Speaker 1: Never will get a chance to go anywhere. High editor, good luck.
Speaker 2: You. You you stayed on the radio through the pandemic. Yeah, talking to kids, and I I told I wanted you to have a third Peabody for that period of time. Just talk about that, talk about because you've really had some interesting new conversations and you made it kind of okay for things to be so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking Halloween in particular. But the whole thing you talked about, you know, Okay, it's going to be different this year. But oh, tell me what you did, or tell me what your parents did.
Speaker 1: Beauty of live radio is just you live in the moment. Then you go yeah, yeah, the thing and we're all still going through this. Let's read about this is all still a process while we're as a community, as a society, you're all going through it. This may be the biggest thing ever in this generation's lives. This may be the molding thing of this generation of children, the pandemic kids, and how this is the they haven't known anything else, right, and we know that now because it lasted for so long. I don't know why we immediately when the announcement was made that you know, everything was going to shut down, our immediate response was, Okay, well we're going to stay live two days a week, where we're going to maintain that connection and primarily because it was live and something you could count on and something regular and as normal as could be in a completely abnormal, insane time. And I think it is vital for us as grown ups, like don't scare kids. But at the same time, we all went through this together, and yeah, your life really did change many times in an awful, awful way. And not seeing your grandmother, not being with people you love, not getting to go to the games that are really important to you, or graduate she's not again, she's not happy with this, that this was something we all lived through together and as parents found their way through whatever. This is going to be the most the most flower the most powerless, and yet most flexible creatures are kids. So you tell them, Okay, you're gonna learn from this. Now, we're gonna make this happen in this and oh, by the way, parents who have no idea what you're doing, we can bring in a few resources for you here on the radio that maybe you could go check out. It's a tiny bit, but it's what we do. You know. Just let's maintain something. Let's talk about the rainbows that I'm seeing on my walk with Tammy. Let's talk about the rainbows I'm seeing, you know, people make in windows, and you know, they were I would share projects that people were coming up with as they emerged more. God, I know we were really good. But again I do like it really.
Speaker 2: And you know, the thing I remember is just you know, kind of talking about the creativity like this, this is very different, but it doesn't it doesn't have to be bad. So you know, yeah, we're going to be home and it's going to be like maybe we are having a zoom call with our grandmother and you know, you talk to kids about that, like how what's different about birthdays?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: How do you know what's different? And what did you do?
Speaker 1: And one of the things that now it's coming back to me, I thought it was really important to validate truth that I'm learning the new way of living, and yeah, we can get through this, you know. But you know, pandemics are easy. Comedy is hard, right, you know, Like, really, we can only lay so much doom and gloom while we are in the middle of a doom and gloom situation. We can only lay so much on kids without expecting them to act out, to snap a little. So like there's a balance that every grown up has to maintain of I am scared to death. I don't want to scare you to death. That we all have to have had to learn to maintain. And part of it, I hope is opening up more dialogues in families with parents and kids, because I think that is one of the things that came out is that a lot of parents did have more opportunities to form whome like new relationship you know, you know what I mean, a whole new level of their relationships.
Speaker 2: Well that suddenly everyone was home. Yeah, yeah, yeah, suddenly everyone was home, and it really did open up. I think a lot of conversations, uh, you know, we of course they think we're just I don't know, it's a trend, but I mean there's a real there's a reality to the trans community growing in that a whole bunch of adult humans, you know, that suddenly had nothing but time said I can't go on like this anymore. I'm not busy, I'm working at home, I'm sitting with myself. And I think that that was true for a lot of families, and I'm hoping, you know, I hope the overall effect was positive. You know, we talked about some of the situations where if it was tough, it got tougher where the kids didn't have the outlet of school. But overall, I think, you know, we're having different and better conversations. What I love about your show and the way that you have approached things over the years is your reality based. Yeah, I mean, like you didn't there was no conversation about well, maybe don't wear a mask. You have played the song wear your Mask, you know, like, like, no, we follow science, We talked to scientists and you know that's right now, that's so refreshing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. There's a lot of for not being an actual educator at the time when education is very much under attack. There's a lot to be said for being an enhancement to education and resource well, right.
Speaker 2: And how do we even I don't even know how we talk to teachers. We know that they're leaving, We know that they are switching professions left right, especially in places like Florida. Oh yeah, I wouldn't want the job nor now exactly.
Speaker 1: And on top of everything else, you know, I think it's one of the bravest things in the world to be a parent who sends your kid to school every day. You've got to be scared to death teacher and to one minute be blamed for the degradation of the fall of the Roman Empire, you know, and then a week later, Oh, we're going to teach you. We're gonna give you a gun, and you're gonna be you know, you're gonna be in charge of keeping your kids alive. No, no, no, no, no. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw TikTok and the person was like, you don't even trust teachers with books?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, you whine and complain about teachers, and you know you you, but you stick your your kids. They're they're in charge of your kids learning things that probably you should be to your basic humanity, you should probably be teaching them at home very often. Right, you get me started, and I have wonderful parrots to listen to me.
Speaker 2: You do you do, and a lot of them you've helped raise.
Speaker 1: Yes, what poisoning young line since nineteen eighty eight? Do a T shirt that says that, I was.
Speaker 3: Just gonna say that would be a good shirt.
Speaker 1: I'd wear that. Oh, I'd wear that.
Speaker 2: Crowd Back when we used to spend a lot more time in restaurants and even in the bar that we owned, there were very few times that someone didn't approach our table and say, excuse me, I'm so sorry to interrupt, but you're Kathy O'Connell, because they just would hear you and then I'll never We were sitting at the bar we owned and it was an open mic night and this guy got up and he's like, I'm sorry, but is Kathy O'Connell here? And then he'd spent you know, the first five minutes of his time talking about I called in and I won a prize once and it just changed my life. And it was like, but you know that used to car all the time, all the time, back in the days when a little more normal when I.
Speaker 1: Was out and about when I used to go out.
Speaker 3: In the long ago time.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing, one of the one of the and I I hate that I finally have broken down in doing this, but one of the phrases I have tried to banish from my life and ideas that I sadly have tried to banish from my life is back to normal because it will never be what it was before. You know, the I see that the the open Asian food bar at Wagbans is again open like a salad bar and I'm like, oh, well, how long is that going to last? Basic changes that have happened in our lives, that whatever, and it's a chance to maybe do it better this time. Right.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, there's a lot of things that we came to terms with that we realized weren't really that great before.
Speaker 2: There's no real need to go back to that. Yeah, you know, yeah, hugging arbitrary, hugging.
Speaker 3: The little mini power struggled. That is a handshake.
Speaker 2: We love hugs among people we love. But you know, maybe maybe it was out of control. Yeah, maybe it was.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to tell any tales out of school, but there was a recent professional gathering at a place I am familiar with. Then I went to a party and people are are hugging me for really you know, I know, I'm adorable, and these you were like, you know, never mind, don't hug I'm elderly. Okay, I'll put that on a loop. By the way, justly I thought it was I thought it was on a loop. Well, no, you thought I was just loopy. Okay, you know, hey, this is your idea.
Speaker 2: It was You're right, it was it was. I said, you know, I had the thought. What brought me the thought was I thought of mister Rogers, because I really was struggling with us. We were about to record, and I'm like, look to the helpers, look to the helpers. And you've been a helper for a very long time, and you do, I think responsibly and well, use the familiarity you have with children to talk about some difficult topics, to bring certain things to light, and to provide a certain continuity. And yeah, I do. I am asking for your wisdom just overall in talking to these parents who are frightened, these teachers who have had it and are frightened, and these kids. Because you know when it when this kind of scary stuff reaches a classroom, don't I don't think it gets more in then that that's supposed to be a safe space.
Speaker 1: And the thing is, we all live with the reality that now there really is no safe space. We each live in it in our own way and whatever you know, gathering or in whatever way right, we have to create our own safe spaces because there are fewer and fewer of them going forward. And that is one of the things that you know, not so much the pandemic, but just real life has has just you know, has changed. You know, you walk into a room, you look for the exit sign. Now kids have to live with that. And this is the thing. There's a line again show Tunes. There's a line from in the in the Heights where Kevin says to his daughter, So this is where you do better than me because you can see a future that I can't. And kids still can see a future. You're working basically with somebody who you know is all future, but it's getting less and less unlikely and out of reach. And if you're you know, powerless to begin with, and the great dreams that you heard here adults talk about are just non existent for you. Hopefully you're going to start crafting your own dreams and places to make those dreams come true safely. And I'm not saying there should be a revolution of young people, but there is going to be. They will take over and the seeds that we are planting in talking to them and giving them information. And there used to be, oh god, what was it called? There was an approach to education which was all about problem solving and oh what was it? Cognitive learning? There was a phrase to it. And of course, because I am not an educator, I can't come up with it, and it's like that went out the window. And the next thing I know, natural selection is being taught in a science class at Arkansas as science. Right. So you know the thing is they're gonna find out that you're lying to them and it's not gonna be pretty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So you know, how about talking with them and finding out, you know, what is going on and where you can find common ground to work for whatever you know tomorrow is left?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How important is history to you?
Speaker 1: How important? What?
Speaker 2: How important is the teaching of history?
Speaker 1: Oh? Vital vital? The most important thing to learn is actual history. Howard's inn should be taught in every classroom. There is a magazine series I think it's for kids, actual Well it's for families called hard History, okay, and looking at real history. Tulsa massacre. Yeah, you know, suffragettes getting beaten Black suffragettes? Who are they? You know the reality of what happened historically, just so we can go forward and make sure it doesn't happen again or happens in a different way. You know, triangle shirt waste, factory fire made a difference. Right Now, everything gets done overseas where we have no control over workers, you know, situations, so we have to kind of craft our reality going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, speaking of history.
Speaker 1: Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Said, I wanted to end this on a good note because it's such it's so much fun. Your biggest inspiration, Let's talk.
Speaker 1: About him, Let's talk about him. So I turned on the TV one day nineteen sixty four and my life changed because there was a guy named Soupy Sales on TV. And the first joke I remember was somebody said to him, mister s don't do, don't don't speak, mister Sales, don't to do. The walls have ears, And there was a pan of a wall and it was covered with the ears, and I thought it was the funniest thing I ever saw in my life. And he did reference and he had a big old dog grunted at him who he directed with. But at the same time, he looked directly at the camera and talked to me in a way that I mean. Other kids show hosts were great, Sunny Fox, Chuck McCann, Sandy, Sharry Lewis, But not where Okay, you know you are talking to Ah. I am ready to follow you wherever. And so Soupy Sales was on TV in New York from nineteen sixty four to nineteen sixty six and on New Year's Eve nineteen sixty On New Year's Day nineteen sixty six, he had to work live. He was forced to work live, and he had a minute and a half to fill and he looked into the camera and he said, kids, now, I know your parents were out late last night and they're probably sleeping, and I want you to go into their room as quietly, be very quiet, and I want you to go into their wallets, your dad's wallet, your mom's purse, and take out the little green pieces of paper with quick pures of men with beards on them, and I want you to send it to Soupy Sales, and I'll send you a postcard from Puerto Rico. And he got tie in the face and that was the end of the show. He got suspended for two weeks. He got suspended for two weeks for that. No kid in America thought it was for real. And to the rest of his life, he continued to get dollar bills in the mail because I used to open his mail and find them. But while he was suspended, one of the articles about the suspension talked about the group of kids, the group of teenagers who came to the studio every day to be part of the audience of his show, and a light bulb went off on my Long Island suburban brain, and I said I could go, say watch his show. And on May twenty seventh, nineteen sixty five, Ascension Thursday, for the first time, I went to Channel five and basically hung out at the studio, saw the Soupy Sales show, came back as often as my babysitting money would let me, and basically the next five years of my life revolved. We had a group of kids eventually, which whittled down to about five of us who built our lives basically stalking Soupy Sales, following him every where, learning how to decipher airport schedules. Now this is nineteen sixty seven, sixty eight, and we're figuring out, well, if he's going to go to LA to do the Carol Burnett show, we could go to JFK and meet him and see him. He has no part of this. He knows us, and you know we're the gang to him, but we're just like our lives were built around him. I spent the college money my grandmother had saved for me by working in a hat factory. I spent it to go to Atlanta in nineteen sixty eight with Donna Goulder to see him do Finian's Rainbow for two weeks.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: And then at one point I discovered a life of my own. But you know, I would find things over the years and mail them to him because I knew exactly where he lived because we are out in front of his house, right. And I reconnected with him in like about two thousand and two, And actually I reconnected with him previously, since doing the kids stuff and since having you know, news articles about me. And he did an appearance in Philly that I came out to and I gave him a bunch of my clippings and he was like, I got to see him all proud. But and again, editor, you can you can skip to this part now. In two thousand and two, I reconnected with Supie and actually met his wife, Trudy Carson Sales, and we kind we connected on a point where they became my second parents. Yes, and I was with him when he died. I you know, I had the great gift of he had nothing to do but sit there and talk to me. He was retired, She's in the kitchen cooking, and I got the great gift of just having him talk to me and just remembering things. Maybe he was remembering correctly, maybe he wasn't, but sharing things with him, Watching Bird with him, watching the movie Bird with the man who knew all these jazz guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I still have to see, like.
Speaker 1: You know, was just you know, incredible, and he it was for me. I got to see in the eyes of someone who knew me since I was thirteen years old. I got to see the proud dad look in his eyes that I never got to see from my family because they were all dead. They had no look at all. So that was one of the there were a lot of like I used to say to him all the time, thank god I wasted my life fund you, as it turned out, you know, yeah, thank god I wasted my life on him. There. So you start there and you work backwards or that's the end of that piece, Okay.
Speaker 2: And I got to meet I never got to meet Soupie, but I got to meet truly shortly after he died. And uh, and she is his mom.
Speaker 1: And you got to meet White Fang and black Tooth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely again.
Speaker 1: And I walked into their bar that night after I had done an interview, a TV interview, so I was all made up and I wanted to show you how good I looked. And I brought white Fag and black tooth with me to the show. And there was a guy I'd never met in my life.
Speaker 2: Yes, white oh yeah, he was totally mad. I'm such a fan. Oh my god. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he took his pictures with white Fag. It was great.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And I have I think because one night I was leaving Soupy and Trudy's apartment and Trudy waves a baggie at me and says, do you want to take home white thing in black tooth? And I said no, too much responsibility and he said take take and so he gave them to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, camp. Can we talk about the project that Rowan University is working on? Can?
Speaker 1: Yes? Oh, I'd love to. I love uh my plan. It hasn't completely happened yet, but I have gotten interest from the TV and Radio department at Rowan University and they are doing something quite remarkable there. They are building a world class television history and Radio History Archive, and to that end, I know they have how do you duty collect? Because David B. And Cooley, a media writer, wonderful TV writer, is involved with it as well. And the head of the department is a colleague of an old colleague of mine for w XPN, And he was over one day and I kind of just showed him a lot of stuff I have brought home over the years from their house and stuff I bought on eBay and things like that over the years. But an enormous collection of soup, these archives and scripts and just stuff articles, just the history his his career, and I am donating a whole lot of him there so future generations, Like I have heard for so so many years, you should write a book, you should write I'm not going to write a book, but somebody is going to write a book, some that really commit they'll use me a complete, you know, book about him, and there will be all this stuff that you know that would and I'm just very happy. And and I'm also you know, like donating so my gun smoke collection and just there's gonna be a lot less stuff in my house and I'm very happy about that. The important part is TV history and the role of it, not just in what it gives to the people who watch it or each generation who who discovers it, but how it influences those people who create what you know, the next generation. Uh get So you gotta you gotta keep going back to duty and Sharry Lewis and and and super Sales to see where everything comes from.
Speaker 2: And mister Rogers, Oh yeah, what was the movie mm hmm that Soupy had never seen?
Speaker 1: Oh the crowd? Oh okay, so face of the crowd, everybody, when this is finished. I'm not telling you go right now, but when this is finished, go watch a face in the crowd Andy Griffith's greatest performance. Yes, I'm serious, I agree. I agree about a guy named Lonesome Roads. So okay, So it's coming on and I'm like all excited, and you know, Soupy sitting next to me in his wheelchair. Trudy's in the kitchen making incredible food, and I'm like, oh, it's a face in the crowd. This is great, you know, and he's like, I've never seen what are you kidding me? You've never seen what? How have you never seen? A face of the crowd. It's about early television, and he said, I was busy making early television and so I'm to the end. He was like that that was the beauty. No matter how much things were shutting down, you know, with his body, I could still we could still have that have that connection, and that was a really great gift. To the end. You say to him, you would say to him, are you comfortable? I make a nice living.
Speaker 2: And you know, maybe that is one of the key takeaways is humor. And you know we have to We've got to find the places and the ways to laugh. And I mean, you know, it's how the three of us survived through the pandemic. We found what was fun.
Speaker 1: Was the bubble and one of the beauties. And truly this kind of gets back to the beginning. Very good place to stop. But we can find our communities in a whole new ways that were not open to the three of us when you were kids. If I had known this soupy community existed and I could continue to interact with them online, you know, during those times when I had to live with my real life in you know, miserable public high school, I have had that if I had known, Okay, no matter what, there's these people over here. Now, remember you could also have a community of serial killers that way, and there were some aspects of not soupy, but let's say people around soupye who were more unsavory than how about that?
Speaker 2: It is amazing. I am. I am constantly in love with the young people I meet today because by and large, they're so much more open to one another. There so much kinder to one another. And you know, things like gender and sexuality are just a given. Like you tell me who you are, and I believe you and I accept you. And it is a different world. And anytime I think there's progress, there are always going to be some people that are afraid of progress and they're going to try to stand in the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah but okay, I already did. You can't stop the beat? Well no, but but that's the fact.
Speaker 2: I think that's where we're going.
Speaker 1: You can't, you can't. And you know, no matter how many times Rumpel still skin and flower and it jumps up and down and makes laws and says, you can't do this, you can't, you can't, And you know you can find ways to get the information out there. Yeah, hit the catacombs. Oh wait, that's the Catholic School education to cover it through again get it out.
Speaker 2: There, and now, I mean, you know, this is one of the other reasons I really wanted to do this. Your show is not just a Philadelphia show, right, We can RelA.
Speaker 1: Yep XPN dot org. You can listen live, you know, Monday through Thursday, but also there are shows archived there. There's also a series that I did for adults called Kathy Chats that started up during the pandemic about a variety of topics. Again, I do it live and then I forget it, so you know, go go listen and tell tell me what it was.
Speaker 3: And we can link to all of these things in the notes of this episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, one of the things I'm looking forward to is I'm doing a series with someone I love called Kathy talks to her trans kid. My trans kid is like pushing forty, so you know, but I look forward to that and it's mostly him sitting there telling me what I've done wrong, which is always nice. Oh hey, one of the greatest gifts he has given me to And I was bragging about this forever. I used to brag how after he came out to me, how much Wow, it really doesn't matter, does it? And I was kind of proud of feeling that way, except that kind of dishonored what was very important to him. And I never realized that, and I very much realize it now. So I get a lot out of the Kathy chats. So I'm hoping others will as well, and each of us is constantly evolving. Nice.
Speaker 2: I hope, yeah, we are. We are. I hope that you will come back. There are so many things we can talk about.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I don't know, I think we've got yeah, really exactly, because you know they'll be some horror up ahead. Well, Rainbow I'm telling you, throw on Rainbow Connection. Parents. If there's like, if there are questions where you know, I don't know why this happens and I'm upset to and I don't know, throw on Kermit the Frog or any version of Rainbow Connection therein and just listen to it, you know, together and you'll get through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, together, That's how we do it.
Speaker 1: And make your own together, find an adult you trust, and if you got to make your own together, that's what you'll do.
Speaker 2: Beautiful. On that note, I want to thank you so much for joining us. I am worth a Madrigal.
Speaker 3: And I am Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 2: And thank you so much Kathy O'Connell for spending time with us today.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I love you. I'm going to go buy S donuts. Yay bye bye.
Speaker 3: Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, produced and edited by Never Skurd Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme and music is by The Jingle Bears. All names, pictures, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.