Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App k f I M kost HT two, Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Orange County and.
Speaker 4: You Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, good morning. It's five o'clock straight up this Friday morning. This is your wake up call for September sixth I'm Amy King. So excited to have you with us this morning. Got a lot of stuff going on. As always, I got to share with you as we get Our Friday started. That Thursday was a little bit wonky, kind of turned into a fire drill. So I went to see Beetlejuice yesterday afternoon at CityWalk and it was let me just tell you, it's like one of my favorite movies I've seen in a really, really long time. We're gonna be talking with Jason Nathanson and see what he thinks about it, but I think it's going to have a big weekend and I loved it. Then after the movie got out, I went to pick up a friend at the airport who's coming into town this weekend because the Disney's doing their half marathon, which we're doing, and then we're going to go play at the park and you know, just she's one of my best friends from Northern California, and so she is flying in. So I leave the movie theater and I rush over to the Burbank Airport and she texts me. She says, I'm landing, and I'm like, yay, I'm circling. And then about five minutes later she sends me another text and it says, Okay, I'm outside at baggage claim twelve. And I'm thinking to myself. Bourbank Airport doesn't have a baggage claimed twelve. So I went back and I look at her ticket and then I call her and I go, hey, where are you. She goes, I'm outside, and I go at Santa Anna Airport she said yep. So she was an hour and a half away, and because it was already like six point thirty, she ended up taking an uber ride up from Santa Anna Airport to where I am in Los Angeles. So that was one hundred dollars uber ride later. But she said she had a great time and her driver was great. Oh my god, but what a crazy start to the weekend. So everything last night was all discombobulated, and I had a friend in town and all that stuff. So if I'm a little discombobulated, I have an excuse for it today. Most days I don't have an excuse. Today I do, but looking forward to a really fun weekend and looking forward to a really great wake up call. We got a lot going on. Here's what's ahead. Hunter Biden has pleaded guilty to all nine tax charges against him in court in la He could face seventeen years in prison when he sentenced. Now how the plea came together and more from the courtroom with ABC's Peter Haralumbus is coming up in less than five minutes. The fourteen year old accused of shooting and killing two students and two teachers and wounding nine others at his high school in winder Georgia, is due in court this morning. His father has been arrested and charged in connection with the killings. Students at more than a dozen schools in Long Beach are not getting a break from this heat. They don't have air conditioning, the Long Beach Unified School District says, While eighty four percent do have ac the ones that don't have been opening windows and doors and using fans to cool off during the heat wave. Some teachers and parents say the heat makes concentrating hard for the kids at six oh five. It's handled on the news, former President Trump is trying once again to get his sentencing for his thirty four felony convictions delayed. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. So Cowgas is shutting off service to additional fifty four homes in Rancho Palace thirties because of the worsening land movements. Service will be cut.
Speaker 5: For twenty nine homes in the Seaview neighborhood and twenty five homes along Portuguese Bend. This woman says she was using gas powered generators when her electricity was cut Monday, but now that's out.
Speaker 3: We have headlamps and we have battery operated little lanterns.
Speaker 5: Governor knew Some declared a state of emergency after so Cal Edison shut off power to two hundred and forty five homes because of the shifting ground. So Cal gasas service will be cut indefinitely to the additional homes.
Speaker 1: By three pm today. Chris Adler kf I news Remains found under a home at a nudist resort in Redlands have been identified as those of a missing elderly couple. Their neighbor, Michael Sparks, is charged with their murders. Dan and Stephanie Minard were reported missing on August twenty fourth when they didn't show up at church. Sparks was arrested after a standoff with police in which part of his home was torn down. He was found in a concrete bunker below the home. The remains were found in plastic bags. Former President Trump says if he's real elected in November, he'll create a government efficiency commission headed by tech billionaire Elon Musk. Trump says the government commission would crack down on fraud and waste.
Speaker 3: Elon, because he's not very busy, has agreed to have that task course be interesting if he has the time.
Speaker 1: Trump says Musk would be charged with finding trillions of dollars in federal waste and fraud. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Peter Harralumbus. Crazy days in court. Peter, first, in New York, there's Trump's trial for payments made to Stormy Daniels. And now on the other side of the country, you were in the courtroom for what was supposed to be just the first day of hunter Biden's tax trial, but thinks things quickly went sideways.
Speaker 6: Yeah, good morning, Amy. Really a twist yesterday in court. We were expecting that to be the first day of jury selection. One hundred and twenty Sanelinas had shown up that were ready to begin the process of being possibly selected as jurors. When hunter Biden's attorney declared to the judge and the prosecutor that they actually wanted to change their plea during this entire trial into question. It then became kind of an hour's long or deal with it, tried to figure out the details of the plea. Ultimately, hunter Biden pleaded guilty to all nine counts of the indictment, including three felonies. He faces up to seventeen years in prison and over a million dollars in fines.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Peter, let's back up a little bit, because there was some again an hour's long conversation about what the plea was going to be. So initially he was going to change his plea, but then they were going to use something called the Alford plea, And so can you explain to us what that is and what was said about it?
Speaker 6: Sure, so they initially came out and said that Hunter Biden wanted to do what's called an Alford plea, which is kind of a rare thing where the defendant, like Hunter, would plead guilty to the actual crimes but not necessarily admit his innocence. Basically, Hunter was willing to say, you know, if this was a trial, i admit that I would be found guilty, but I'm not going to say that I did every single thing as alleged in the indictment. So that was what they first proposed. The judge called a break so that the parties could describe this. Prosecutors said that this was the first time they ever heard of this in the context of the case, so it completely caught them by surprise. By the afternoon, though, the government was pretty unified in their opposition to this idea, saying they're absolutely opposed to this idea. They were planning on an arguing White should not be accepted, and kind of in a surprise move, after a shortbreak, Hunter Biden's team just decided to throw in the towel and forget about all that stuff about the Alfred police and just enter a standard plea guilty to every single one to counts to the indictment and notable because this is, you know, entering a guilty plea outside of the context of a plea deal in which you know, he could have negotiated, for example, leniency or you know, a lighter sentence. Instead, Hunter Biden's opening himself up to the worst of the worst when it comes to sentencing up to seventeen years as he accepted, you know, guilt in front of the judge yesterday for every single one.
Speaker 4: Of these counts.
Speaker 1: So Peter had there had there been some talk of a plea deal that maybe we just didn't know about.
Speaker 6: You know, it seemed like this case was going very much to trial. You know, if you go back a year, Hunter Biden was willing to plead guilty to this case, to the tax crimes in conjunction with a plea deal that basically also covered his gun case that fell apart in a Delaware courtroom last year, which really led to both indictments in Delaware and Los Angeles. So you know, at the end of the day, you know, Hunter Biden was willing to plead guilty to these offenses, but when it came to this trial, it seems full it seemed full steam ahead. And prosecutors themselves were dumbfounded by the change in court.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think that it was just a hail mary to try the Alfred thing? That they went in and saying, you know what, we're just going to plead guilty. Don't want to deal with this, but let's try this just in case it works.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in a way, it was a bit surprising how quickly they threw in the towel with the Alfred play despite the judge entertaining it. Judge Mark Scarzy was willing to kind of hear extended arguments on Friday and sends home the jury to seriously consider whether to accept this plea. Sources close to Hunter Biden suggested that he saw the Alfred plea as a way to end this part of his life without having to kind of accept all that he thinks it was alleged in the case. But you know, they just gave up after about thirty minutes and wanted to get it over. They clearly didn't want to face another likely trial. In a statement after court, Hunter Biden said that he wanted to prevent his family from going through the trauma and pain of get another trial, especially after that gun trial in Delaware a few months ago.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the plea has been entered and he's got sentencings set in December, so we'll wait to see if he gets that seventeen years, and there's no indication yet on whether he will actually get jail time.
Speaker 6: You know, he's also at this point have as a criminal record because of that case in Delaware, so that doesn't help this case when it comes to sentencing. Seventeen might be a little bit steep, but these are very severe penalties, and he also faces twenty five years technically in the gun case out in Delaware. So these are serious penalties and they raise the specter of a presidential pardoner commutation once again, though the White House is continuing to deny that that's something that's being discussed.
Speaker 1: We shall see, we shall see. I have some thoughts on that, but I'll keep them to myself for right now. And for you, Peter, you are going to be in the court for days. Now, do you get to go and hang out on the beach or something.
Speaker 6: I get one day in Los Angeles and then I'm back in New York. So I'm enjoying my day here, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much. I'm sorry you don't get to spend some more time in our beautiful city, but appreciate the insight and I was always the information. We'll talk to you.
Speaker 4: Soon, Thanks so much.
Speaker 6: Having take care.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The father of the fourteen year old accused of killing four people at his high school in Georgia has also been arrested. Georgia Bureau of Investigation Director Chris Hosey says Colin Gray was taken into custody yesterday for second degree murder and involuntary manslaughter.
Speaker 3: He's charge of stem from mister Gray knowingly allowing his son Coke to possess a weapon.
Speaker 1: Two students and two teachers were killed Wednesday at Appalachi High School. The alleged shooter is due in court this morning. He is charged with four counts of felony murder and will be tried as an adult. Two people have been critically hurt in the crash of a single engine plane in Hawthorne, La Kenny. Firefighters were called to the area of Hawthorne Boulevard and one hundred and twenty sixth Street overnight. The injured were taken to the hospital. Officials say no one on the ground was hurt and no property was damaged. News brought to you by ruderhro dot com. A woman has turned herself in in connection with a hit and run crash in Anaheim that killed an eighty four year old man. He was knocked down and killed early Monday morning by someone driving an SUV while crossing Anaheim Boulevard. Police say the woman arrested was booked on on suspicion of felony hit and run. Supporters of a sales tax in LA to fight homelessness have started campaigning.
Speaker 7: Measure A would raise the current point twenty five cent sales tax to half a cent for housing and other services. LA Family Housing CEO Stephanie Klaski Gamer says the measure will improve the ratio of people becoming homeless versus people coming off the streets.
Speaker 8: In twenty twenty three, for every one hundred individuals who transitioned out of homelessness, one hundred and twenty five new people fell into homelessness.
Speaker 7: The measures projected to raise about one point two billion dollars every year in La. Blake Trolly K if I.
Speaker 1: News evacuation warnings have been issued in Highland for homes near a brushfire that's burned more than one hundred and seventy acres. The fire started last night near Baseline and Alpine and was burning into the San Bernardino National Forest. The evacuation warnings are for neighborhoods east of Church Street and north of Highland Avenue, and also for the neighborhood east of Weaver north of Greenspot to the Iron Bridge. So then, California's Quick Reaction Force has dropped more than a million gallons of water and fire retardant on eighty five fires this year.
Speaker 2: The fleet includes three forty seven Shinoks and an S seventy six intelligence copter. OC Fire Authority Chief Brian Finnisi says there's also a mobile fire retarded mixing station.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty four is turning into one of the busiest fire seasons.
Speaker 4: I think we've experienced it in.
Speaker 3: A long time, and that's saying something when you look at the fires we've had over the last decade.
Speaker 2: Vntur County Fire Chief Dustin Gardner says each coptor can drop thousands of.
Speaker 6: Gallons when all three combined, they continually dropped three thousand gallons by three thousand gallons by three thousand gallons followed in unisons, creating a true synergy in our firefighting effort.
Speaker 2: LA County Fire Chief Anthony Moroni says the resource is critical.
Speaker 7: In the past couple of years, our department has dispatched the QRF on numerous wildfires.
Speaker 2: Local leaders want permanent county and state funding to follow, so cal Edison's one hundred million dollar investment to start the program in twenty twenty one in Orange County, Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: An excessive heat warning for most of southern California has been extended until Monday night the National Weather Services. Today is going to be the hottest day of this heat wave and of the year, with woodland hills expected to hit one hundred and eighteen. Overnight temperatures will only get to about eighty It's eighty three in Burbank right now. It was eighty three when I came in at three thirty this morning. Firefighters in northern California have a new AI powered tool to help quickly detect and locate fires. Fifty new N five sensors have been installed that can detect gas, chemicals and smoke particles. If there's unusual activity, the sensor calls the fire department out. Officials say the sensors can also tell the difference between smoke from a wildfire and smoke from a barbecue. A SpaceX rocket has lit up the California sky. The Falcon nine rocket launched from Vandenberg Space Force Space around eight twenty last night, carrying spy satellites at the government's request. The live video feed was cut off before the satellites were deployed. Six its handle on the news, JD Vance is calling for schools to beef up security in the wake of the latest deadly school shooting. Let's say, now, good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim, we don't have any money. Inflation's killing us, but that's not getting in the way Halloween.
Speaker 9: Huh No, not at all. Last year, we shelled out twelve point two billion dollars, not million, twelve point two billion dollars on Halloween candy and costumes, decorations, food, party favors, all the stuff that comes with Halloween. Twelve point two billion, big record, and that was the most ever and the expectation. According to the National Retail Federation. Amy is that that will be exceeded this year. You know why because the stuff is already out there in the stores. Home, Deep, Lows, cost Co all have their Halloween decorations and merchandise on the shelves and standing in displays. And now Target also they're the last one to join in the in the fray. I suppose they're sending up their stuff, setting up the decorations and offering all sorts of new items. Thirteen hundred new items just for Halloween at Target.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. And it's not only in the big box stores. Because we were out doing some shopping over Labor Day weekend, and every single little store that we went, until we were going into boutiqui stores because we were in a small town, all of them had Halloween stuff out already.
Speaker 9: Sure, yeah, I was at a home depot the other day, and and and it's fun to look at that stuff at the front store with all the but and if you're right about places that people are choosing, and if you look at candy, specifically the candy sales, that's going to be the number one expense this year. And what kind of candy chocolate despite the rising costs of cocoa and all that. You know, eighty one percent of people who buy candy will be buying chocolate and candy.
Speaker 1: Prices are way.
Speaker 9: They are, and yet most shoppers will be making their candy purchases at mass retailers, grocery stores, club stores. Online retailers only get about a third of that business. So while people are buying their clothes and and you know, their bottle parts and whether they're detergent, whatever they want, they're buying it online, not their candy. They still like to go to the store and purchase candy that they physically pulled off the shelf.
Speaker 1: I have to wait till the last second to buy the candy. Why because otherwise I eat it all? Ah.
Speaker 9: You know what, that's a great point here in the National Retail Federation says that seven to ten consumers like you wait until the week of Halloween to buy candy. And you know, my thinking was that, well, it's going to be stale if you buy it before that. But I think you're right. If you have it around the house, you can eat it. Riche's peanut butter cups, Oh my favorite, Nirvana love that stuff.
Speaker 1: What about butterfingers. Those are my other favorite. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, is there are there some must have things for this year?
Speaker 9: Well yeah, I mean if certainly the chocolate is going to be one thing that everybody's looking for. This company that helps retailers to stock their shelves with stuff people will be interested in. Advantage Solutions says that that costumes, they haven't decided which costumes will be popular this year, which ones will be the top sellers, but the ones that are being offered are from Frozen two el the Elsa costume right, the Anna basic costume from I think that's Frozen, right yep, bal And Rapunzel and Toddler Mickey Mouse costume is now available too.
Speaker 1: So Disney's always big, yeah.
Speaker 9: And you know the bigger the better too. I mean, if you look at the Home Depot skeleton that was sold a few years ago, that was it twelve to fifteen feet tall, and Target now is offering an eight foot tall Bruce the skeleton goul And when I was at Home Depot the other day, they've got some It seems they're getting taller and bigger every year and more dramatic and creative. So somebody is is really putting thought into this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are the big blow up things still kind of all the rage.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but that's mainly a Christmas thing. Halloween is its own entity and people love it. You know, some of these spirit store or that you see in the strip shopping centers, some stores like that are staying open year round because the business is there. People love their Halloween. So despite inflation, people want to have that experience with their kids, the experience they had as a child and that they remember, and they're willing to pay for it.
Speaker 1: And if you do need a bit of a bargain, as you mentioned, Target is adding a bunch of stuff that starts at fifteen dollars.
Speaker 9: Yeah, costumes as little as fifteen dollars. And what was your favorite costume when you were little? Oh gosh, come on, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know. I can't you know which one? I remember what was When I moved to a new town. I was in eighth grade and my mom let me go out as a hooker. Oh geez, I was adorable. I'd fishnet stockings and red silk oh for heaven shorts. Yeah, I met a lot of new class I bet you did. I was like, mom, what were you thinking? Why did you let me do that? You know what I think is going to be popular this year is Beetlejuice because that movie just hits theaters today technically week.
Speaker 9: Give the coincidence?
Speaker 1: Uh no, no, no. And I think that we're going to see a lot of Bob if you haven't when you probably haven't seen the movie yet, but look for Bob, and I bet we're going to see a lot of Bobs.
Speaker 9: I'll bet you're right. I had when I was a child, little child, Batman was on TV the Color you know, and it's already getting old that TV show was, but I had a Batman costume. Loved that thing. When trick or treating in the snow one year, it was.
Speaker 1: Fantastic trick or treating in the snow, how novel? It was all right, Jim Ryan, thank you so much. All right, don't spend it all in one place.
Speaker 9: Don't eat all it candy either.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, I'm going to wait until like two days before Halloween to get it.
Speaker 4: Good for you.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk to you soon. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: See yeah.
Speaker 1: The City of la has extended the operation of its cooling centers because of the heat wave the six cooling centers open Tuesday, They're now going to stay open through Monday. Nearly four hundred people have made use of them so far. La City Public Libraries are also available cooling centers during regular library hours. A barber in Placentia has been charged with murder for allegedly beating a first grader with a piece of wood for wetting his pants.
Speaker 10: Most of the little boy's flesh was missing from his buttocks.
Speaker 2: Orange County dapokeswoman Kimberly Ed says Ernest Love was supposed to be caring for six year old Chance Crawford while his mother worked.
Speaker 10: Video surveillance shows Love carrying a piece of lumber into his barbershop, with Chance following reluctantly behind him.
Speaker 1: Three hours later, Love is seen.
Speaker 10: Carrying an unconscious Chance into the hospital.
Speaker 1: The little boy was struggling.
Speaker 2: To breathe just as the boy died Tuesday following several brain injuries, including trauma consistent with violent shaking in Orange County.
Speaker 4: Corbin Carson KEAFI.
Speaker 1: News climate scientists say we've just seen the hottest summer on record on Earth. The European Climate Service Copernicus as twenty twenty four will most likely end up being the warmest year humanity has ever measured. Copernicus says the Northern meteorologe Chicole summer June, July and August average sixty two point twenty four degrees. That's point zero five degrees warmer than the old record set in twenty twenty three. Scientists say it shows how climate change keeps dialing up temperatures in extreme weather.
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: A guy visiting Disneyland over Labor Day has called out a person who's stuck their head in the water while on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. Jeremy Sunkin posted a video on TikTok saying he saw an arm go in and then the rest of the person.
Speaker 4: Not considerate, not mindful, and definitely not to mirror.
Speaker 1: It's not clear why the writer went overboard. The video has hundreds of thousands of us. Don't go overboard at the Pirates of the Caribbean. Come on, people, Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Guardians at Dodgers Stadium. First pitch goes out at seven. You can listen to every play on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games in HD. On the iHeartRadio app keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports and today is hafy five dollars Friday featuring two Hoffey Beef Frank packages for five bucks available at your local Albertson's and Vaughn's. Visit hoffeebrand dot com. Okay, so Jim Ryan caught me off guard when he asked me what my favorite costume was, and the only one I could come up with was Hooker. That was like an eighth grade. Okay, So here are a couple of my favorites from over the years. One year, a group of friends and I went as the Flynnstones and of course red Hair. I was Wilma Flynnstone. So we had Wilma and Fred and then we had Pebbles and Bambam. It was adorable and we want a bunch of money. One year we went as the whole Peanuts Gang. We had everybody. We had Charlie Brown and Snoopy and Peppermint, Patty and Lucy, the whole gang. That was really fun. And then one of my other favorites was I went as an eminem a couple of times. That was fun. Anyway, here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour News from CEE not only a hooker Hunter. Biden has pleaded guilty to all charges in his federal tax trial in La. The plea made yesterday came on the same day jury selection was supposed to begin. He'll be sentenced December sixteenth, and faces up to seventeen years in prison and over a million dollars in fines. President Biden said in June that he would not pardon his son if he was convicted of crimes. A school in Temple City's been put on lockdown after someone called the school saying there was a man with a gun on campus. The Elei Kenny Sheriff's department searched the campus. The caller had said there was a person with a gun near the gym, but the call then disconnected. A principal in Central California has been demoted after participating in a lap dance during a PEP rally. Video shows Robert Nunyaz sitting on a chair during a rally in the gym as the school's mascot appears to give him a La lap dance. Nunya's then pops a confetti canyon as the mascot dances around him. Nunya's is now the assistant principal. Several parents won and fired. At six p' oh five, it's handle on the news. Boeing's Starliner is about to head for home, but it's not bringing its crew along for the ride. At five point fifty, the gang's back together and Beetlejuice Beat Up Juice is back. ABC's Jason Nathanson's going to tell us if the sequel was worth the thirty six year weight. I'm anxious to hear what Jason has to say because I went and saw it yesterday and I thought it was fantastic. You know how everybody talks about being kind, Well, there is a community being built that takes kindness to a whole new level. So let's say good morning to the general manager of a new community called Silverwood. It's John o'hannian. John, I wanted to start with a press release you guys all put out. It's got my curiosity absolutely peaked. And here's what it says. Silverwood is a new DMB Master Planned community located in the Mojave River Valley. It's being built differently. There will be homes, community centers, schools, and parks. But most importantly, there will be kindness. John o'hannian, please tell us about Silverwood and what you mean by there will be kindness.
Speaker 3: That's one of the things we said really wanted to try to do is to create a sense of community, a feeling of small town California, kind of the way it used to be in California. And one of the principles that we all talked about is, let's have as a foundational element a pledge of kindness that our residents are going to free each other respectfully with kindness, They're going to react together in a manner that is befitting a small town and how people know each other and try to treat each other respectfully. And so that became a base tenant for us as we started developing the project. The first thing we did was we put together some ideas on what kindness means and what would represent in our community, and we put together a pledge of kindness. And we started off with all of our employees and our subcontractors are consultants. We talked to each of them about this concept and said, we want you to kind of get involved with us and this idea. Do this together. Let's do something that's special and it's really paid some dividends. It's been fun so far.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's really interesting too, John, because you said you mentioned contractors, and I'm like, I've dealt with some contractors who aren't exactly blind.
Speaker 3: The contractors, surprisingly have really grabbed a hold of this. I hear they've been working together and cooperating, and so it has translated into a more efficient workplace.
Speaker 1: I love that. Okay, So I do want to talk about the community itself that you are planning. What's it going to look like.
Speaker 3: It'll include when we finish it, fifteen over fifteen thousand homes, commercial, all the support services that would go with that. It's unique in that we're on a very large piece of property, close to ten thousand acres, so we have a lot of open space. We have over one hundred and sixty six miles of trails and pastoes within the community. It's been designed as an active outdoor community in that regard. We're doing three hundred and eighty some acres of park, which is probably triple what is normal in a master plant community, and then we end up with over half of our acreage set aside as open space, so pretty unique master plant community. It will end up having five elementary schools, a high school, of middle school, you know, all of the medical and support that would go along with that as well. So it's a community that was viewed from the perspective of the future residents, not just from the perspective of the real estate development team. But what's it like to live here, what's it going to be like long term? And that again gets back that whole idea of a kindness initiative that we started with is how do we create an environment where people get a connection to the community, feel a closeness to it. It's a special place, okay.
Speaker 1: And what are residents required to do because they have to make the pledge before they buy property.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, we're going to include it in their packet. So when your your property information, when you come in and you you're learning about the project, the pledge of kindness is part of that. So our community ambassadors, when you come out to the welcome center and you want to learn about the project and find out if it's a place you'd like to live, that's going to be one of the initial things we share with you, okay, And this is our expectation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then John, what happens if you end up getting a nasty neighbor and they break the kindness.
Speaker 3: Rules, Well, that'll be an interesting one.
Speaker 4: And we don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not like that. This is a contract that you sign and you're obligated to do it, and there's some remedies or damages associated with your being a nasty neighbor. But what I think is it's aspirational. It sets a standard, It creates an environment that people are going to feel compelled to cooperate in that regard. The same thing has to happen with all your organization documents like your HOA, your CCNRS, all these little pieces, they all have to have that same tenant running through the and then code of conduct for all the meetings and all the different things like that. We're developing all of that as part of our process and hopes of creating a situation where fear pressure keeps you from being a jerk.
Speaker 4: Yes, I hope.
Speaker 1: I love this idea. And the all important question is when are you going to start construction or did you already start construction? And when are what's going to be a restruction?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Really, Okay, we're cranking. We're hoping to have our grand opening in the first quarter of twenty twenty five. We are full blow blowing and going right now building all of the road streets and infrastructure that goes along with a community like this. Hopefully we'll be starting model homes the end of this year and have those available. The goal is to have them available in March of twenty five.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so exciting. And then eventually fifteen thousand homes in this new community and it's called silver Wood, and wouldn't it be nice? I love the whole reason behind it, you know, bringing us back to the way it used to be. I think we need a lot.
Speaker 3: Of that now.
Speaker 1: And where can people find some more information about this John Web?
Speaker 3: They can get our website Silverwood California dot com and register there and then you'll be on the man list and get all the kids of information about the community. You get on the website Silverwood California dot com. Also, you can see some progress videos. We fly at drone fly it every month and post the videos of all our progress and so it's kind of exciting to watch the progression as we get closer to launch.
Speaker 1: All Right, maybe the first of many kind communities. John o'hanni, and thank you so much for your time today. So interesting. I can't I'm going to have to head out there and just take a look at it when it's done. It sounds very cool, although I just don't know if everybody can be that nice all the time. I have to wait and see. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The fourteen year old accused of shooting more than a dozen people, killing four of them at a high school in Georgia has appeared in court and was informed of the charges against him that, if convicted, could be punishable by death or life in prison, with or without the possibility of parole. The father of the fourteen year old boy accused in the shooting at Appalachia High School has been arrested. He's going to be in court next The man says he bought the gun used in the shooting for his son as a Christmas gift in twenty twenty three, the same year the boy was investigated for making threats online. The dad is facing second degree murder and manslaughter. The mayor of Rancho Palace Verde says geologists have given him a pretty good idea about how bad the slide is underneath Holmes along a two miles of coastline.
Speaker 11: There still is no thread of there being a sudden collapse or movement of the landslide, and they have also told us that the rate of acceleration is stopped at that a certain velocity right now, that's about fifty feet per year.
Speaker 1: More than two hundred homes have had gas and electricity cuts. Some homes are red tag others are buckling as the land moves. John Krushenk says there's a sense of urgency with winter coming.
Speaker 11: There still is no thread of there being a sudden collapse or movement of the landslide, and they have also told us that the rate of acceleration is stopped. It's at a certain velocity right now, that's about fifty feet per year.
Speaker 1: He says, another fifty four homes they are going to lose natural gas service this afternoon. Two men suspected of breaking into places in Sherman Oaks and LA's West Side have been arrested. The arrests were made by officers responding to a burglary in progress yesterday on Long Ridge Avenue near Mulholland Drive. The alleged thieves car was pulled over about five miles away. The Huntington Beach City Council has approved an ordinance requiring teachers and staff at parks and libraries to report to parents if their child wants to be identified as transgender or gay. The mandate is a direct challenge to a build a governor signed into law prohibiting districts from adopting transgender and sexuality notification policies. The fourteen year old accused of shooting more than a dozen people, killing four of them at a high school and Georgia has appeared in court. The judge told him about the charges against him and said that if he's convicted, he could be punished by death or life in prison, with or without the possibility of parole. Former President Trump's expected to be in a courtroom in New York City this morning to appeal multi million dollar judgments against him for sexual assault and for defamation. In a separate case, the judge's going to decide whether or not to delay sentencing in Trump's convictions of falsifying business documents tied to an affair with Stormy Daniels, the porn actress. We're just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning, both the Eagles and the Packers have green uniforms. Bill's going to tell you why that has people in Brazil seeing red. Let's say good morning now to ABC's entertainment guru. It's Jason Nathanson. Jason Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice.
Speaker 4: Don't say it again.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can only say twice.
Speaker 12: He's gonna appear, which I don't know that we want him to appear again.
Speaker 4: Really after seeing this, Okay.
Speaker 1: I got to hear this because I loved this movie.
Speaker 12: Okay, good and I'm glad you did. And I saw it in a screening with a lot of people who were very excited to see if they were dressed up in costumes and they seem to be having a fun time, and I'm sitting there kind of like dour and like, why am I the guy who's not having fun? But I didn't, you know. I love the original nineteen eighty eight. I'm eleven years old. I saw it in theaters and then probably a billion times on HBO after that. It's probably one of the movies I've seen the most in my life. So I was so excited for this to come back, but also apprehensive because in the return of a lot of these things, I can't really name one of them that was better than the original or even approaching close to the original. And one of the things that was so great about the original Beetlejuice was how original it was, agreed, how fresh, surprising. This world of the undead that Tim Burton and the writers created. You had no idea what the rules were, how things worked, so everything was a surprise.
Speaker 4: Everything was new.
Speaker 12: Coming back to it, we know the rules. So when they're in the waiting room of the undead, we've seen that before. When the sandworms come back, we know how that works. To me, that surprise wasn't there. Is it fun to go back and revisit. Yeah, Michael Keaton is doing a Michael Keaton thing, and I think he's funny. Catherine O'Hara is why on a writer's stepmom she steals just about every scene that she's in. When on a writer's character, I really did not like her. She really did not do anything for me. And you know, most of the scenes that she was in I felt sucked the energy out of the room. And then you had Jenna Ortega, who plays when On a Writer's Daughter, who was just as surly and teenage angsty as When On a Writer's character was when she was a teen. And you know, I thought she was okay, but really just more of a device to get everybody back into the world of the end Dead more than anything else so they could save her. Justin Thurreau is whin On Writers Fiance, a new addition to the cast. I thought he was pretty funny, but mostly this to me was like, you know, when you go back to high school after twenty years and the and the it doesn't seem as scary or interesting or weird as you thought it was originally, and all the teachers are older, and it just doesn't feel the same. That's kind of what this felt like. It just wasn't. It wasn't. Some of it worked, but mostly for me, this was a six point three out of ten.
Speaker 1: Wow, a six point three on the Jasonometer, because I seriously I give it a solid nine.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 1: But and here's here's why I agree with you that it's kind of the same old stuff, but it's fun. It's entertaining.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 1: There was so many different little storylines going on that you're like, okay, wait, oh well, now wait, that's still wait what happened to her? And when Win's here and there? And visually I loved it too, because they didn't take it and try to make it better, like all of the costumes are still campy and obviously not real and that kind of stuff. It's not like, you know, like with Star Wars, they made all the technology better, but this one they didn't. They kept it the way it was, so it's just a continuation of it, you know.
Speaker 12: And I did appreciate that, but it just felt so nostalgic, like you know, we heard coming into the segment, were heard Deo there, which is one of the big centerpiece scenes of the original film, And they try again to recreate a big musical number in the same way, and it doesn't feel the same. It doesn't feel fresh as an original as it did in the first one.
Speaker 4: And you mentioned the different storyline.
Speaker 12: There's a whole plot line involving Monica Balucci's character as Beetlejuice's ex wife that could be cut completely out of the story without missing a beat. It added absolutely nothing and it could literally be lifted out and you wouldn't know that it was even there. It didn't tie into anything all. It felt like an afterthought to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what in retrospect, now that you say that, I'm like, yeah, you're right, that could totally be taken out. Yeah, it was fun to watch her. I'm just gonna say it happens at the very beginning of the movie. She puts herself back together. I'll leave it at that. I thought that was fun.
Speaker 12: That was cool and very much a nod to I felt like Nightmare before Christmas, and it felt very Tim Burton. And I do appreciate Tim Burton, who got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame this week. And you know, he is an original and fresh voice. But you know, again like the high school analogy I made, or kind of like when you know there's a new album from the Rolling Stones, you're like, okay, but it's not the stuff from the seventies. The original movie was so so great. This does not compare to that. So if you're gonna go, I know, if your fans it's gonna make one hundred million dollars probably this weekend, Please go and have fun. My only wish is that somebody goes and has fun. You know, just because I didn't like it doesn't mean that you're not gonna like it. But for me, I was just disappointed.
Speaker 1: Okay, then one little thing and then I want to move on. But the other thing that you probably aren't gonna like because it was all about nostalgia, I am gonna go find and buy that soundtrack. I loved it all again. It was nostalgic, it was a lot of throwback, and it was just fun, like cool music throughout the whole show. Okay, so let's move on. Since we don't agree on beetlejuice, beetlejuice.
Speaker 4: Which is fine, we can agree to disagree.
Speaker 1: Nicole Kidman's kind of everywhere these days, and now she's on Netflix again, Yeah.
Speaker 12: And doing another kind of murder mystery series, a soapy murder mystery series that puts her at the center of it, which is now part of her brand, which is fine, you know, as long as they're good, no problem with that.
Speaker 4: This one's called The Perfect Couple.
Speaker 12: She and Leev Schreiber star as the heads of this family, wealthy family on Nantucket Island. It's a wedding weekend at their estate. Their son is getting married when one of the wedding guests turns up dead and then they're Everything kind of unravels from there, and the secrets of the wealthy and sex and lies and all that kind of stuff. This is fun, it's soapy, it's a little cheesy. You know, not everything works, but it's the highly bingeable. I think this is going to be one of the next you know, everybody's gonna watch it on Netflix and it's gonna get a ton of views. Has a great cast, including, like I said, Nicole Kidman, Leev Schreiber, Dakota Fanning, Eve Heuston, who you might know as Bono's daughter, who's also in Bad Sisters, a great show on Apple TV. Plus Ye, she's a great young actress who I think we're gonna see some more great things from Omar Epps, Megan Fay, you know, just a lot of good people having fun.
Speaker 4: And it's again, highly bingeable.
Speaker 1: Is I love a good binge Not great.
Speaker 12: But like it's one of those shows it kind of gets in your mind you're like, Okay, I gotta finish this. I gotta see what's going on. Seven point six out of ten for me on the Jason.
Speaker 1: Ometer okayert perfect. And then before we leave, I want to talk Reagan because I was thinking as I was watching a trailer for Reagan, I'm like, why didn't Jason talk to us about Reagan last week? And then I remembered that you were on vacation.
Speaker 4: I was on vacation last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not doing very well to box office.
Speaker 12: It's like mixed at the box office. It did much better than expected, but still it was under ten million dollars for the opening weekend. But it's per screen average is doing really well. It's like it's playing like one of those faith based films that comes out and a very strong core audience goes to see it.
Speaker 4: And that's what's happening here. You're having very hard core audiences.
Speaker 12: Go to see it. Critics hated it. It's a twenty one percent on Rotten Tomatoes. I am one of those critics who hate it. I thought it was terrible, But audiences love it at ninety eight percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Again, like a lot of those faith based movies. For me, it has nothing to do with the politics of it or anything like that. You know, that doesn't have nearly to it. I just think it's a terribly made film. It looks like it was shot on an iPhone or something. Dennis Quaid's portrayal of Reagan rarely gets beyond like Saturday Night Live levels of impersonation. There's this weird framing of Reagan versus Communism, that he had been fighting his whole life, and it's told through the voice of this KGB agent, which is just kind of I don't know.
Speaker 4: The whole thing is weird.
Speaker 12: So again, in terms of filmmaking, I'd think it was a poorly made movie. That's why I didn't like it. Get nothing to do with the politics. It's a three point four out of ten for me.
Speaker 1: Oh ouch, Yeah, Okay, Nathanson, thank you so much, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You're welcome, very welcome.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then next week we'll be talking Ammy's because we got Amy's coming up a week from Sunday.
Speaker 4: We do here in fabulous Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: All right, have a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Take care.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer Kno. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake Up Call and if you miss any of wake Up Call, we had a lot of good stuff today. You can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.