Speaker 1: The Damon Runyan Theater. Once again, The Damon Runy in Theater brings you another story by the master storyteller, Damon Runyan, and this one cemetery Bate, and you tell it to you here is Broadway.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: One day I get a call to go to the State Penitentiary. I go there because a character by the name of Gentleman George sends for me. Now, being in such a place as no novelty but Georgie and ordinarily will cause him no confusion. The trouble this time is that he is in what is called the death house. It seems that he has allowed visitors. And I am more than somewhat curious why he sends for me. So I, overcome my natural repugnance at such institutions, go to see him. And he tells me a very strange story.
Speaker 4: Indeed, among which I will tell you in a minute.
Speaker 1: And now back to the Damon Runy in Theater and the famous story cemetery Bait.
Speaker 3: Like I say, I find myself at the State Penitentiary, I also find myself sitting in the cell with gentlemen Joy and he says, as funds, it is very.
Speaker 2: Nice of you to come Broadway. Maybe you wish to know why I get you up here? I am curious. Yes, Well, as you know, tomorrow I am to be placed in mister Edison's rocking chair and giving a severe shock in the seat of my britches.
Speaker 1: Here, dad, yea.
Speaker 2: So I wish to tell you a story because you are a good guy, and you will let it be known that I perform a great public service. You do, Georgie, I do. I wish all citizens to be more kindly disposed toward me, So I will tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, please make it short, George, I am getting a severe case of feeling cooped up.
Speaker 2: Sure. Well, it is in the summer of last year that Lou Adolia comes to me. You remember Lou.
Speaker 3: Oh, sure, he is a hot citizen who cases joints for diamonds and such.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then he gets another citizen to knock over the joint. Well, like I say, Lou comes to me last summer and he puts a proposition to me which reads like.
Speaker 5: This, Georgie, I think I got a great job for you. Only you'll have to go to Miami, Florida and knock it over.
Speaker 2: Okay, Lou, I do not mind traveling what is the layoff?
Speaker 5: Well, here is a certain dull married to a guy.
Speaker 2: Well, next I do not knock over guy so that dolls can have good time.
Speaker 6: Not then like that, she's got a bark full of rock that will bring maybe eighty grand?
Speaker 2: Go on, loo? What else? Will I figure?
Speaker 6: A good box man like you can saw through and pick off the stuff?
Speaker 2: You got a place to unloaded? Sure? Sure don't I always? Yeah, okay, give me the rest of the setup.
Speaker 6: Well we'll go to Miami. I'll do another case job when I lay out, and you can work your way through from there. It'll be a lead pipe.
Speaker 2: Session so Broadway. It is not more than a week later that I find myself on a train going to Miami, Florida. The way Lou talks, it looks like I am going for a sense job. Then it comes up one night on the train and I am as sick as a puppet because I eat fish, which I can never stand. I am on my bed when I hear a knock on my door. Oh who is it?
Speaker 3: What's the matter in there?
Speaker 2: I am about to become a corpse. Go away. Let me.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on, come on, maybe I can help you.
Speaker 2: Okay, just a second. All right, lie down again. I am sick. I am so sick.
Speaker 1: So I see by the color of your face.
Speaker 2: I didn't think you were born green. Where does it hurt? Stomach? Domain poisoning?
Speaker 5: I saw you eating fish in the dining car.
Speaker 2: I will die before my time.
Speaker 3: Nonsense, No one ever does that.
Speaker 5: Besides, you might be better off if you did not.
Speaker 2: Enough people know when to die. Please you say you will help me. I will.
Speaker 3: I'll never get any seat next door with you groaning and grunting all night.
Speaker 1: Porter, Porter, come.
Speaker 2: In here, will you? What are you going to do with him? Send for some medicine you call me, sir.
Speaker 1: Yes, go to the dining car and get.
Speaker 2: Some hot water.
Speaker 1: Also bring back some soda box falland hurry.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, right away, Sir? Do I get anything to go with the soda? Shut up and lie still. Look, mister, why do you do this for me? If You've got any stupid notion that I'm doing it as a good Samaritan, forget it. I merely want to get some sleep tonight. Well Broadway, the old guy who was maybe pushing on sixty or thereabouts does good for me. In maybe an hour, I am feeling better and dropped to sleep. Then in the morning I wake up and the train is in Miami. I get out on the platform and I see the old guy. He looks at me and says, feeling better? Oh sure, sure lots. In fact, I am a well man, and I wish to thank you.
Speaker 3: Don't just remember that you're unable to eat fish, you're allergic to it.
Speaker 2: Oh but look, mister, I wish by and keep away from fit.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 5: Wait, hey, hey, Georgie.
Speaker 2: Oh hi you look yeah, say see that old guy getting in a car?
Speaker 5: Heah, what about him?
Speaker 2: Who is he? Oh?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I didn't see enough of them. Now, look, you bring your tools. Sure, but I sure wish I know who that old citizen is. He saves my life last night. And so few people are good to me that I wish to cherish the name of one who wish Okay, okay, save the lady. I got that deal lined up.
Speaker 2: How does it look?
Speaker 5: All great?
Speaker 2: We're your bags platform. Where do we go? Now?
Speaker 5: You better check in the hotel. Don't use your right name.
Speaker 2: You'll know me better than that, lou. It is just a question of picking the one I like best.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's get moving. We got just two days to pull this job and move.
Speaker 2: Out hot huh plenty.
Speaker 5: Your cut will be ten geez.
Speaker 2: My cut will be fifteen geese, or you will get yourself another can opener. Twelve fourteen eleven, thirteen and a half fighteen, I am in business. Leave us code well Broadway thirteen geeze is not bad for a day's work, So Georgie, I ask you to skip the details Broadway. I only got today and tomorrow morning before I will have to skip everything. Do you begrudge me this hour?
Speaker 3: I am sorry, but I do not see what all this has to do with performing a great public service.
Speaker 2: You will see in a minute. Well, I check in at a hotel. I and Lou range to meet later at a place called the Bath and Sailing Club. It is a bad name because I do not see anybody taking a bath or sailing, although some of the dolls in the dining room seem to be dressed for the first occupation. Then I see a beautiful pancake walk in and sit at a table by the window. Now amol. The head waiter is a good friend of mine, so I ask him who the doll is and he says the one invite mister George. Yeah, the pancake with the dress that he's made for dolls like her, Mister George. She is cemetery bit or married to a jealous husband. This is bad arranging. Her husband is very senitish that he is my my, she is very lovely, gorgeous. But there is something about her I do not like amol one thing. I do not mean in the way of equipment, but in the way her eyes look to me. They are heavenly blue. They are on the cold side chiuned cold or not, she is beyond us, mister George, especially since her husband is one of the best amateur marksmen in the world. Oh now, I see why you call her cemetery bait. However, I have heard that she is looking around. It is a brave man who will overlook her husband. Ah, yes, but you will excuse n.
Speaker 5: Yeah, George, a male sit down.
Speaker 6: Yeah, see you later, mail, Yes, sir, Yeah, Well it's on set for the.
Speaker 5: Night, George.
Speaker 2: My goodness, I hardly have time to get settled.
Speaker 5: You can do all right after you crack the job. Now, look, here's he it.
Speaker 2: Rice.
Speaker 5: Take a good look.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it right now.
Speaker 6: The maid who gives me the tip says the best time the finger the job is about one in the morning.
Speaker 2: I'll have to keep late hours.
Speaker 5: Father, love of Mike, When you shut up and let me talk.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Okay. The safe is a tin can.
Speaker 5: You want to be able to take it apart.
Speaker 2: But it happened, Lou. You know I do a very neat job, no blasting, no drilling. I do not like to ruin other people's property.
Speaker 5: We're getting the can open.
Speaker 2: Is your job.
Speaker 5: Once you get the stuff, I'll pick it up and get it out.
Speaker 2: Of Miami like usual.
Speaker 6: No, it wouldn't look good for us to take the wind right after the Juno's done, so we'll stick around a couple of days.
Speaker 2: Then i'll leave. You'll follow, Okay, one o'clock this morning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Georgie, what, Lou?
Speaker 2: Please don't take any samples. What do you mean? I mean?
Speaker 6: I hope your pockets do not have holes in them, so little twinklets slip into the linings.
Speaker 2: Lou, I promise you I will hold out nothing.
Speaker 6: Okay, go right to your hotel. I'll pick up the stuff. It will be out in Miami in an hour. Yeah, and I what's the matter.
Speaker 2: I just that pancake who just leaves looks just as good from this side as the other.
Speaker 6: Keep your mind on your work, lady can have all the happies you want.
Speaker 2: So broadway. I wait until about one am in the morning. Then I go to the address. Loop gives me there is not a soul there. I had the layout, so I go right to the safe and start work. I use my own little gadget that I invent.
Speaker 6: I'll go ahead.
Speaker 5: Why do you stop?
Speaker 2: I wonder why the government never lets me have the patent I ask for in that gadget.
Speaker 3: Well, Georgie, they have got very peculiar ideas about.
Speaker 2: Some things here, I guess. So anyway, I work away. When I hit the front door open and close, I take a quick look. And who do you think it is? Er buffalo Bill? He is dead? Will I give up? Who is it? The beautiful pancake I see earlier that night?
Speaker 5: This is her house?
Speaker 2: It turns out that is the case. Anyway, She is with a guy. Know who the guy is, Georgie.
Speaker 3: Before you finish this story, they will put you in the juicer and I will never know what happens.
Speaker 2: Please proceed. Who is the guy? Remember, little Eddie Baker Baker, Oh, oh sure, sure the Shakman, Yeah, blackmailer Broadway. He is very crooked, more than somewhat. So what happens? The doll does not turn on the lights, but they come into the room where I am going about my business. I see that Eddie Baker is now wearing a little mustache, and he is dressed to kill. I duck in a closet behind some clothes, and I hear the dolls say.
Speaker 5: To Marsel, don't turn on the line.
Speaker 2: Why you said we would be alone? Oh we are COULDA? I do not like this? What if someone saws?
Speaker 3: Who could.
Speaker 5: Frightened Tomassel? Your husband away on a fishing ton.
Speaker 2: But he may come back sooner than you expect.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: He likes the fish.
Speaker 7: Corda, you're so lovely, am I? You know you are so listen to me? Why can't we go away together?
Speaker 5: How much money do you have to Mussel?
Speaker 2: No, nor do I You're Jewish?
Speaker 5: Tomusl the way I like to live. That wouldn't last a.
Speaker 2: Year, Yes, but you don't know what it's like married to a man who watches every move mt.
Speaker 5: No, we were careful, Corda.
Speaker 2: What are we going to do. That's why I brought you up here. We've got to talk about it. To Mussel about what Corda, what are you thinking about my husband? Yes, he loves me. He loves me, Tomaso. He loves me so much that when he dies, I'll get everything.
Speaker 5: And it's a state, the yacht, the money.
Speaker 2: I'll be very wealthy, Tomussel, I could marry anyone I wanted me, perhaps, you said, perhaps m hm.
Speaker 7: When not here, not in Miami. It's got to look like an accident. You will be leaving for New York in two days, won't you.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 7: There's many more possibilities for an accident in New York.
Speaker 2: There there are. Do you love me? Wait and see how much? Well?
Speaker 5: That is the story the gentleman George tells.
Speaker 3: Me so far, and even though I am sitting in a penitentiary listening to it, I cannot believe, because I wish to know what happens.
Speaker 2: I find out and it's very strange, indeed, and I will tell you about it in a minute.
Speaker 1: And now back to the Damon Rundom Theater and the famous story cemetery bait.
Speaker 3: Like I say, I am sitting with gentlemen, George in the death house listening to him, and he goes on.
Speaker 2: To wit, Viz, what time is it Broadway? Hap passed three?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: My My time goes real fast in a place like this. Yeah, yeah, yeah does George. But you are telling me a story. Yeah, and I wish you to promise me that you will tell it so everybody can see what a great public service I do, even though I am waiting to be fried, I promise George. Okay, Well, I hear this. Cora Doll and Eddie Baker, whose name now seems to be Tomaso, set up a thing to knock over her husband, who seems to be interfering with their amusement. But I figure it is none of my business. Until the next day I am at the beach with blue Adolia.
Speaker 5: That was a good job last night, Georgie.
Speaker 2: You are happy with it?
Speaker 5: Yes, I figured the stuff shuit fring maybe more.
Speaker 2: Than eighty grand Yeah, it is gone.
Speaker 5: It was out of Miami. And aready slipped to me?
Speaker 2: And when do I get my cutters? Sosay, heats off. Okay, meanwhile, this is a very fine life. My my, there is a doll wearing a handkerchief.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but what a small handkerchief? Oh hey, blue, wasn't mat of cops.
Speaker 2: No, there is the old guy who saves my life on the train.
Speaker 6: Look, will you forget that all you had was a stomach ache.
Speaker 2: I am very grateful to him. It is very seldom that people do things for me, and I wish to speak to him. Okay, okay, go ahead. I will be right over there with a red umbrella.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I see, Georgie. Georgie, sit down? Why sit down? Your don't sit down?
Speaker 2: What is eating you?
Speaker 5: You know who that is?
Speaker 2: Yes, he's the man who saves my life.
Speaker 5: He's the guy who's joint you're knocked over last night?
Speaker 2: Oh no, oh.
Speaker 5: Yes, Colonel Samuel B.
Speaker 2: Venus, Why do you not tell me this before I do the job?
Speaker 6: You look, how did I know he was the guy that cured just Tommy besides.
Speaker 2: The eighty grand I am very sorry.
Speaker 5: You shut up.
Speaker 2: I am very ungrateful. I should speak to him.
Speaker 5: Look, just keep away from him.
Speaker 2: I guess you were right.
Speaker 5: Dob, the dumb clucks echover guy's joint. The things still happen you when I talk to him.
Speaker 2: Maybe I will find some other way. To thank him. Maybe I will, Holy Mac, Georgie.
Speaker 5: Would they give me the nise? What's now?
Speaker 2: I just remember something that's impossible.
Speaker 5: But what is it?
Speaker 2: I nothing, low, nothing, I guess, But I do remember something Broadway. This Colonel Samuel be Venus is the husband that Cora and Tomaso are going to decease. Yeah, that is right now. Personally I would not care if they do it on somebody else. But the colonel saves my life. You understand, Sure, I understand.
Speaker 3: But somehow it seems to be a little unimportant considering where we are.
Speaker 2: Huh, nothing nothing. So what happens then, Georgie? Well, I figure I will try to do something without getting myself in trouble for the little job I do for Luidolia. So I stick around and I find that the Colonel and Cora are going to New York by boat, so I go the same way. The boat is named the Castilia. That is very familiar.
Speaker 3: Sure, I just tell it to you, you know, I mean I read something about that boat. Oh well, I will tell you what it is. You remember, Yeah, well, all right, you are on the boat. So is the colonel and the doll corps ah, and so is Tomaso. But you know what, I do not know what what?
Speaker 2: Georgie the Cora Pancake and Tomaso never even look at each other. It is like they are strangers. That is very strange, right. Perhaps they do not wish the colonel to see them together. Yeah, yeah, that is real smart of you. But I watched them, but they never make a move to do in the old guy. Then it comes up one night and I am in my cell so cabin. Oh yeah, I'm in my cabin with Ruid Dohlia. Who is along? I'm just getting some sleep when all of a sudden I hear a lot of noise. Hi, Hey, what's that?
Speaker 5: Ahl?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 5: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Who is throwing a party? John plucks it on her hair?
Speaker 5: This tank is on fire?
Speaker 2: What come on?
Speaker 7: Twitch?
Speaker 2: I am not fresh throwing up? Don't come on which way, louke?
Speaker 5: Come on, let's get up the stairs.
Speaker 2: With all this water around, hors a boat catch on fire and move fast away? Wait a minute?
Speaker 1: What for?
Speaker 2: Look? I have got an idea.
Speaker 5: Oh not at a time.
Speaker 2: You go ahead, I will follow.
Speaker 5: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: A lot of people will be rushing out and maybe leave valuables. I can pick up some trickers up the red time. It is all right. You go ahead, I will make hey well his son chaw tay. It's your off. You will see you later. Anybody in here, I just wish to tell you the boat is on fire. Well broadway. I go from place to place and I pick up a few odds and ends. In fact, I do all right. Then I get the one cabin and go inside. I see nobody at first until I start to leave. Then I see there is somebody in the bed all tied up and gagged. You know who it is, Colonel Samuel be Venus. Ah there, you know. Never mind what happens? Then? Well I get him untied and get the gag out of his body, and he says, thank you, thank you. You've got to get out of here. Yeah, it seems the right thing to do. What is the matter.
Speaker 3: I can't walk.
Speaker 5: They tied my legs so tightly the circulation stopped.
Speaker 2: I will have to carry you. Wait a minute, I want to get something. I will get it for you.
Speaker 1: That drawer in the small cabinet there's a gun.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I.
Speaker 5: I know you.
Speaker 2: You saved my life. Now I save yours.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, I remember, Oh oh wait, I can't get up.
Speaker 2: Look, hold my arm. They did this.
Speaker 6: They did this to me, Cora, Cora, and that man, that man in the white pole cap and the coat to man.
Speaker 2: Little guy black mustache. He hit me.
Speaker 5: They tied me out and killed him.
Speaker 2: What about her? Help me?
Speaker 1: Carry me?
Speaker 2: All right? Up? You com now, Hang on.
Speaker 1: It's not her fault.
Speaker 2: She's just a child. But him, I don't even know him. Hang on tighter. I got to use my hands to feel through the smokers. Yes, that poor child, she didn't know what she was doing. You'll think not. I know she didn't. But I'll kill him. That little man in the white.
Speaker 5: Golden cap, I'll kill him.
Speaker 2: Look, colonel, I have to tell you something. Save your breath.
Speaker 6: You'll need it.
Speaker 5: But I gotta keep your mouth closed.
Speaker 2: No doll is worth killing somebody. She is an innocent child. Okay, okay, I will not say anything more. We're almost on deck.
Speaker 1: Then I'll find him and i'll kill him.
Speaker 2: I get the old guy on deck, he is pretty done in. So I take a look around for myself. On deck, everybody is getting a little boats and on rafts. I see a few things, and I do a little thinking about the old guy and the doll he thinks is an innocent child. Then I go back to where I leave the colonel, and I see he is looking out to see.
Speaker 3: Look, look in that life boat out there, do you see?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see somebody in a white polo coat and cap. Oh, but you better get on this raft, Colonel. That's the man. I won't let him get away. Look, col kill him. You're going to shoot him now.
Speaker 5: Nobody will hear the shots.
Speaker 2: But you cannot hit him at that distance. And the boat is popping up and down.
Speaker 3: Hit harder targets than that, and.
Speaker 5: For less reason why.
Speaker 2: That is real good shooting.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I've never done better in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess you do not. The little white cap is floating on the side. Kill him. I said I would, and I did. Sure. Sure, Now we better get on this raft.
Speaker 5: Come on, No, wait, wait, Coral, We've got to find Cora.
Speaker 2: There is no time, Colonel. Besides it, it is more than likely that she gets on a book.
Speaker 1: I've got to find it.
Speaker 2: Look, I tell you, I take a look around.
Speaker 5: She is not on this point that I'm not leaving until I find her.
Speaker 2: That poor child. I've got to find her. Do you understand, colonel, Once you saved my life. Now I have got to do something for you. Like I say, I've got to get you in the raft. And it is easier if you are unconscious this way. So I get him on the raft and it is not long before another big boat comes and picks us up. Yeah. See ah you doing George? Huh? Oh fine, got the time? Yeah? Three forty ah anything you want? No, I guess not. Thanks, just the same, Yeah, take it easy. That guard is a real nice guy. There is another one who was not so nice, probably because I take two bucks away from him at two handed pre knuckle. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But George, h you say you do a great public service and you wish me to tell people about it.
Speaker 2: However, I cannot tell people what it is unless you tell me. Oh yeah, I am coming to that first. Got a cigarette? Sure? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are a nice guy Broadway. I will be sorry to see you go. Oh thanks, George. Now let me see I am telling you about my great public service. I will get an ashtray. I do not like to get this place dirty.
Speaker 3: Well, George walks to get an ash tray, and when he gets it, he comes back and gives me the payoff of the story, which I will tell you in a minute. Like I am saying, George gets the ashtray, comes back and sits down for a minute.
Speaker 2: He just looks off into space, and then he says, you know, I am criticized very severely for what I do when I get on that rare. And what is it you do, George, Well, it is very crowded, so I have got to push away a female character who is trying to get on. You do what I push this character off, especially when I see she has got a small black mustache. What are you talking about? Well, I do not tell you, and I do not tell the colonel that. When I take a look around, I see Tomaso making this Cora now change clothes with him at the point of a knife, thinking he can get in a boat reserve for women and children.
Speaker 5: Then the colonel he shoots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he shoots Cora. She deserves it Broadway because he is a nice old guy and she does not deserve him. Does he find it out? Yeah, he is now in a place where they keep guys who go off their rockers.
Speaker 3: But look, George, why do you not tell everybody that it is not a female.
Speaker 2: You push away. That is this, sir Tomaso.
Speaker 3: You have still got some hours to clear that up. Well, I tell you do I not, but I cannot keep.
Speaker 2: You out of the juice. Oh you misunderstand. I am not here for giving Tomaso the heave ho, although that is the public service I speak about, because I figure he is a menace to the sanctity of the American home. I am here because lou Adohlia forgets to give me my cut, and one night I push his car over a cliff and I forget to remove him from saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I see, Well I.
Speaker 2: Guess I will be going Yeah, thanks for coming, Broadway. Not at all.
Speaker 8: Well, Georgia, thanks the same to you and many of them.
Speaker 1: And so ends the famous Damon Runyon story cemetery bait, listening again next week for the Damon Runyon Theater. The Damon Runyon Theater with John Brown as Broadway is directed by Richard Sandville and the story is adapted for radio by Russell Hughes. Bern Carstensen is in charge of production.
Speaker 2: This is a Mayfair production.