Speaker 1: It's nice Eyes, Dan Ray Unbellian Crazy Boston's news radio bro.
Speaker 2: Here. We are at the end of another week. It's the twentieth hour, and we are doing brushes with celebrity. Before we do that, let me just hit some of the topics for those of you who normally don't listen to us. Some of the topics we have hit this week. We started off on September sixteenth with a Washington Post reporter talking about more food warning labels. We talked with doctor Marty maccaret mcarry when medicine gets it wrong. Talk with Carly Church about parenting being hazardous to your health. And talk with Alex Spear, Boston Globe reporter for the Boston Red Sox. And at that point they were still hanging on. Now they're losing four to one late innings, actually extra innings. We talked on Monday night about the death, the untimely death of the Massachusetts State Police recruit Enrique Delgado Garcia. We also talked about the second assassination attempt on President Trump last weekend at his golf course in West Palm Beach. On Tuesday night, talked with Kate Wiseman about seven hundred cancer advocates in Washington. She was one of them. Talk with Julia Forbes about America's insomnia. Talk with Omar Collins about kids and energy drinks, and Jan Goss about Boston being one of the rudest cities in America. Talk with the Republican set of candidate John Deaton at nine o'clock on Tuesday night. That hour will be replayed this Sunday night at eleven and the Best of Nightside. Talked at ten o'clock on Tuesday night about mental health and the increase in suicide in this country with Nazar Yassen of an app called Soul sol. Also, we did delve in a little bit to the background story on this assassin who's the potential assassin who was arrested in Florida this weekend Wednesday night. Talked with Dana Gerber the Boston Global who's leaving Massachusetts, with Amy Laramie about the Steefel Killington Cup up in Killington, New Hampshire. Talked with rich John Allen Richard John Allen about coping with grief, and with Chris van Buskirk of The Boston Herald about mass Initiative two fifty. We're coming up on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration of Independence. Again, we went back on Wednesday night to the lack of information about the death of Enrique Delgado Garcia for two hours, and then we talked about the Teamsters Union deciding not to endorse them this year's presidential race. Talked with last night at on Thursday Night the nineteenth a professor from Entericott College, professor John Kelly, about the concept of no sebo kind of the opposite of placebos. Talked with Richard Siema the Washington Post about brain matters, with Nicol Maley, who ate a lot of food at the Big Ee out in West Springfield. And with Bill Dendy about the federal raitcut. He's a financial place. Talk with state senator about Peter Durant about the corrections officers attacked that Susan Bereonowski saw that video tonight on television. Just crazy, Just crazy. Talked last night for two hours with the WBZ nightside car Guy Scott and Larry Rubinstein. They were great last night and tonight we talked about dealing with workplace conflict with David Dye. Talked about sharks up on the North shore off the north Shore with John Chisholm of the New England Aquarium. Talked with Adrian Hernandez about a new not necessarily a new, but a new interest in people eating dirt and talk with James O'Brien, the general manager of the Topsfield Fear about some ticket scams only by your tops Field Fair tickets from the Topsfield Fair site. Talked with a city councilor at nine o'clock. Ed Flynn from Boston and Jeff Robbins, great lawyer with mince Levin, first Amendment lawyer, former head of the Anti Defamation League here in New England. A delegate on Human Rights to the UN under President Clinton, about the effort failed effort to raise the Israeli flag at the Israel Flag at Boston City Hall on the one year anniversary of the massacre of last October seventh. We talked in the last hour with two good friends of mine, two good attorneys, Bill Kickham and Robert George about the next chapter in the Karen Reid case, an appeal that her lawyers are taking to the court over whether or not lawyers, whether or not the jurors in this case actually came to a decision in the jury room. Also, I want to mention that Bill Kickham has reminded me not only is he in west is he in Westwood, but Bob George has offices now in Hyenas in Boston. So which brings us to the favorite hour of for me, breshes with celebrity? Who have you met? Who treated you well? One of the things I think I mentioned before that my daughter met a celebrity who will remain anonymous, as I told the story a couple of times, so I don't want to pile on here, but a celebrity who was not particularly pleasant, and somebody who you would think would have been pleasant because he was a member of the Monty Python group. But so, who have you met and how did they treat you? And you're going to determine if who the celebrity is okay for you. The celebrity might be Frank Sinatra or maybe Lady Gaga, I don't know. It's possible Taylor Swift, I don't know. Or it may be a professional athlete or an actor or an author, or it might be someone who you view as a celebrity who might just know Whoever you think, we're going to go right to the phones, and I'm going to start it off tonight with Neil in Watertown. Neil, welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: Jim.
Speaker 3: I work in a college bookstore in the textbook department, and a young man and two women came in, and the young man asked me, do you have the Associated Press style Book? I said, oh, I think so. It's over here in the English department. And then I said, I just want to make sure because we have the other style books, and is this the book that your professor wants you to use? And then the one woman said, oh, we're part of a project and between the university and the Boston Globe. She said, I'm a photographer. And I said, oh, well, what's your name? And she said, Jessica Ronald and oh I read. I read the what they call the cup Line and the Globe and the New York Times. So I read the Globe and the New York Times and the Herald. Those are my basically, and so I said oh. And I said, but I was trying to think of other photographers and I couldn't think of them. And I went, oh, very turning, she says yes, and I said, and I stammered at and I said, Pat Greenhouse and she said yes, And then I couldn't think of anymore. So they told me about the project between the Globe and the universe of right, right, I thought about celebrity.
Speaker 2: There's got to be a celebrity in here.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I would define her as a celebrity because I'm just an average person. I know who she is.
Speaker 2: And okay, so Jessica photographer.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: But so they told about the project, and then the reason this is memorable to me personally, he said, uh so she's she said okay, goodbye, thank you very much, and she's walking across the floor and up the stairs. I'm about to go out the last second. Ago Anna Moneymaker and she says, oh yes. And I don't know why I thought of me any Anna money Maker, except because she's a photographer either for the New York Times for the Associated Press. And she said, oh yeah. So I the thought that that's what it was meaningful to me was a fellowship of photographers.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's a good one. And they treated you well, Neil, thank you very much, appreciate it very much for your call.
Speaker 5: Talk about it.
Speaker 2: Let me keep rolling here and I'm going to go to Sandy in West Roxbury. Sandy, how are you?
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm very well. Thank you. I wanted to thank you also for having that the nine o'clock hour. It broke my heart, but thank you. I have something a little bit unusual. But I was going through you know, I work in the archives for the West Rocky Historical Society, and I was going through the a petition that was signed in nineteen eighty five, it doesn't matter what it was for. And it came across the name Bobby or Sure, and I said, oh my goodness, could it be? Could it be? You know, did he sign this petition? So he it said Bobby or to make a plane. So I don't know much about sports. I didn't know, you know, how old he would have been. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I don't think Bobby lived in Jamaica. Plane.
Speaker 6: He lived downtown, and yeah, I thought, you know he might. Some people said they thought he was in Canada, but I thought, well, maybe he has another in Boston.
Speaker 2: And then he's been living in Florida. Also is a place down the cape.
Speaker 6: Well anyway, I after talking to a few people and not figuring it out, I googled Bobby Or to make a plane, And it turns out I thought, this is just so funny. There's a Bobby Orr who listened to make a plane and it said meet Bobby Orr. But it was m E.
Speaker 7: A T.
Speaker 6: He is exactly about the same age, and but he works, has all his likes all his working life, works in the stop and chop at the meat counter, and to stop and dropping to make a plane. And you know, he got so much ribbing, and people would say, oh, you know the customers then oh, you want to meet Bobby Or? You wantn't get up to or I wanted to meet Bobby Or. And then they take him over and introduce him to this other guy. But his whole life, you know, it was just sort of like a double ganger that was hanging over that maybe.
Speaker 2: A double gang or a name, but not necessarily Okay.
Speaker 6: I know, I just thought that was so funny when it came across the name Bobby Or.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, if you ever have a chance to meet Bobby Or, he's one of the great class acts in this city.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 6: I know, I've heard you say that many times.
Speaker 2: Absolutely great guy, a great guy. I know him very well. He's a he's the greatest hockey player in the history of the NHL, but I think he's a better person than he was just a hockey player. Let me put it like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, so nice that you could say that, Sandy, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the call. And by the way, for anyone that's interested, we have on the eleven on the eleven o'clock hour on any Friday night on the twentieth hour, everybody gets a hall pass, so even if you're called in during the week, you can still participate in brushes with celebrity.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks, Andy talks, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Take bye bye six one thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty are triple eight nine to nine, ten thirty. You're brush with celebrity. Love to find out who you met and under what circumstances. Coming back on Nightside right after this, Now.
Speaker 1: Back to Dan ray Line from the Window World. Night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio bring one of my favorite end of the week hours in the twentieth hour. For those of you who don't understand the twentieth hour, I do twenty hours of radio a week Monday through Friday, eight to midnight. Four hours times five nights, that's twenty hours and this is the last hour of the week. Let's go to my friend Bill Winnaker. I suspect he's meant a lot of celebrities. Bill Winnaker. UM, bring Bill Winnaker up for me this this mouse has died.
Speaker 5: Good, go ahead, right, Damn, I'm here, Dan, I know well.
Speaker 2: You're there, that's for sure. I gotta I got a faulty mouse here, and then we'll figured it out. Okay, thanks Bill.
Speaker 8: All right, I want to preface this, uh lebrity for a second. I just want to say that sometimes at the end of the night you'll say that you weren't happy with the show. But I've never heard any of your shows that weren't spectacular.
Speaker 2: They're a very kind, very kind.
Speaker 5: I know that they're all great.
Speaker 2: Well. I know that when the Winnakers play music in Boston, they're they're always great shows, so I can return the compliment. But I don't know if you ever have a knife when you when you feel well, maybe I could have done this song a little bit better, that song a little bit better.
Speaker 8: I think, yeah, absolutely both perfections.
Speaker 2: But thank you you're so gracious to make that comment. You're a great friend, and.
Speaker 8: I get so much. I learn a lot from listening to your show, and it's it's the best show in town, probably the best talk show in the country.
Speaker 9: But we'll leave it.
Speaker 2: But that is high praise coming from you. But and I mean that seriously. I know you know the Winnick is very well. You guys have been friends for more than forty years, and I know you're so loyal to this program, and you know I'm loyal to you guys.
Speaker 8: And it's oh, we're all big fans of yours. But i'll tell you what happened. We'll go to celebrity now. In nineteen eighty three, I got a hug, a really nice hug from Jackie Kennedy.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, wow.
Speaker 8: But i'll give you the backstory of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So Peter Lawford married Patricia Kennedy and their daughter, Sidney Lawford, married Peter McKelvey and we got called to do this wedding. It was on the Kennedy compound. Yeah, and I knew.
Speaker 2: I knew Sydney from when I was living in the back base. A lovely woman, very very pretty.
Speaker 8: Yes, great, she's wonderful. And she married a wonderful guy, Peter mc kelvey. So we got to call in the In the in the eighties, my father would be out on Saturday nights with his band, and Bo would be out with his band, and I'd be out with The demand was high because we'd been playing at the Parker House for a long time, so I got the assignment. So I went to the Kennedy compound with an eight piece span and I had no interaction with Jackie at all all night long. I was I was looking at her to her date that night was Oldig Cassini, the dress designer. And I mean, this was quite a night. I had a guitar player go out in the audience with his guitar and sing sweet Rosio Grady to Rose, Oh my God. But when the night was over, it was a spectacular evening. When the night was over, I see Jackie walking towards us. We're on a stage with an eight piece span. She climbs right up onto the stage and she comes up to me and I stood up and she gave me a big hug. She said the music was spectacular, and then she went down the line and gave everyone a really great handshaken. So I'll never forget that hug.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that. I'll tell you this is going to be a tough celebrity because not only was she a a celebrity, but she wasn't somebody who was readily accessible. You know what I'm saying there.
Speaker 8: I know that, you know, so it blew me away. But she was so warm and sincere about it. But we really delivered the goods that night, and she was very appreciative.
Speaker 2: And I saw her, never met her, but I saw her a couple of times at a restaurant on Marthy's Vineyard. She had a big piece of property out of what was called Gayhead, which is now called a Quinna at the far end of Martha's Vineyard, and there was a restaurant up by the lighthouse. It wasn't the most elegant restaurant in the world, if the truth be known. It was kind of a touristy type restaurant. And every once in a while she would be sitting over off in the corner. You know, no one would bother. Oftentimes she'd be sitting there with a pair of dark glasses and a scarf overhead. But you know, if you knew who she was, you knew who she was and people were very very respectful. Bill, that's a fabulous That's one that that's going to be tough to beat. Tonight.
Speaker 8: I gotta tell you, that's a story I've never told on the era, to really tell that story, but I'll never forget it. It was really special, unbelievable.
Speaker 2: You brought the goods tonight, mister Winnaker, as you guys do always do. Thank you, my friend. We'll talk again. Have a great weekend. How many different venues are you guys hitting this weekend? Where can people go and hear the Winnick is next play?
Speaker 8: Oh, it's all private parties this weekend, but we had a couple of public things during the week. I will tell everybody that we play once a month and West will at a restaurant called Naroli, And you can just go to the website for restaurant and find out all about it.
Speaker 2: Just just spell that so people can get there. Because you have a lot of fans on this on this this show.
Speaker 8: This show is it's n E R O l I. And they have have this once a month for a Thursday night, just two hours of music and dinner. It's so it's like a party. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And you said in Westwood, right.
Speaker 8: In Westwood, it's a great restaurant.
Speaker 2: Great, all right, when I get back closer to the back, closer to Boston, I'm going to hit that one night with you. Maybe I'll let a few of our friends here know then and we'll make a little get a little group of group together there.
Speaker 8: But that's a you can't wait a minute, No, it's a it's a Thursday night.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 8: You know what, you know what we can do for you. We can pick one Sunday and do a brunch out there.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about it, We'll talk about it privately. Okay, yeah, thanks, thanks so much. Let me go next to Dawn. Uh, Dawn enlighten us.
Speaker 10: How are you, don I'm good, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing just great? Thanks for calling in down from Stain Go.
Speaker 11: Ahead, thank you.
Speaker 10: I personally have met John Densmore from the Doors the Drummer at a little bookstore in Boston. But yeah, that was pretty big for me. But I'm going to tell you a funny story. Years ago, I took my daughter and some of my friends to a little dive in Framingham called the Chicken Bone.
Speaker 2: I know the Chicken Bone. Yeah, the Chicken Ball. I don't think the Chicken Bone's in business any any longer. It was right there. It was on Route sixteen, was it nuts, Yeah, not too far on the other side of the tracks from the railroad station. I know exactly how it was. I had a friend of mine who worked there. Actually, Oh, who'd you see there?
Speaker 10: Well, Peter Talk from the Monkeys had formed a blues band and he was playing at the Chicken Bone, and my youngest daughter had a major crush on him. So I said, well, let's go. I mean she was I think thirteen fourteen at the time. And we go in there and we got our seat and we're waiting, and then I go, oh, I forgot the album out in the car for him to sign a Monkey's album. So I go out to the car, I come back in and I go, oh, great, who's sitting in my seat now? It was Peter Talk talking to my daughter and she's in tears because she's so starstruck. He was the nicest person you could ever meet. He signed the album, he gave her a T shirt, he gave for a hug. I thought she was going to pass out, but he just was great.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable that that is such a great story. That is totally unbelievable. Oh man. Now, the monkeys, of course were really big in the sixties. I mean that was that was when they were they were rolling rolling it in right, yes, so this must have been a little after the height of their career.
Speaker 10: I'm guessing, oh, long after Yeah.
Speaker 2: What year approximately.
Speaker 10: That I was there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh was there.
Speaker 10: Let's see, at least fifteen years ago maybe.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so this was in this century. So so they have still been doing this. I hear who's the guy that It's not Peter Tork, Who's who's the most there's another one of the monkeys who I hear all the time and you hear him on.
Speaker 10: Radio, Nicky Dolans.
Speaker 2: No, no, maybe it was Peter Talk. Maybe it is Peter Talk. No, no, I don't think so, Rober said Davy Jones.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and Mike Ness, it must be Peter Talk. It must be Peter Talk. Then I think he does. He's kind of the lead guy in the group, right, No, I think.
Speaker 10: It was kind of Davy Jones was kind of Okay, well, but then Peter Talk has passed away.
Speaker 2: Okay, well then I'm not here in them. It's a good tell. If he was a middle infielder for you know, the Saint Louis Cardinals in the nineteen fifties, I would know him. But that's great. But the Chicken Bone, I haven't thought about the Chicken Bone in a long time. It was a great, great place. It was a great place.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Framingham, so it was sure born for many years.
Speaker 10: Beautiful place from eighty six.
Speaker 2: To two thousand and six. And I hit a lot of restaurants, Marconi's and oh yeah, yeah, that was a great, great Italian restaurant. Thanks so much, down, I appreciate you. Have you called the show.
Speaker 10: Before, Yes, many time.
Speaker 2: Well come on keep calling, will you?
Speaker 10: Thank you so much?
Speaker 2: Thanks, Donha have a great night. Okay, thanks, good night. We're taking a quick break. Six one seven, two five, four to ten thirty, triple eight nine ten thirty and six one seven nine thirty. That's the only line open right now. We're going next to my good friend Hank in New Jersey. Hank, hold on, man, I want to talk to you. We're coming back on night Side.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, back to the phones here, let me go to we got we got Hank in New Jersey. Hank, welcome, my friend. How are you?
Speaker 5: Thank you for taking a call. Dad. Everything's good.
Speaker 2: I left you a voice mail the other day. I hope you got it. I didn't want to bug you out. Check in with you over the weekend.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, okay, fine, I did't get the voice boil, by the way, you didn't. I have two one good, one bad?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay.
Speaker 5: One because I met Ronald Reagan while he was governor of the California and before he announced his word for the president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was governor of California for two terms. I can help you out, and he was elected in sixty six, so he served from sixty seven to January of seventy five. He was real life.
Speaker 5: So I met him nineteen seventy five in that area. We're at a New York City Conservative party dinner. I went up to him and he I said, mister President, which you boy? Sided the brochure for the and he signed it. He danked me, and I danked him, and I wished him well on his presidency. Very very pleasant old guy on the other hand, many years later at a baseball card show, I met Mickey Mantel, Duke Sneider, and Willie Mays.
Speaker 2: Three pretty good New York baseball.
Speaker 5: Players, absolutely, but what a disappointment. Mantel was terrific. Duke Sneider actually had my father sit down with him, but he was signed in autographs and the turor would often had to smoke together, and they were. But when I went over to Willie Mays, I used to think about little roses. I gave one to him and then a very obnoxious toad. He says, don't touch me, and I said, I apologize anything buy it's I'm here to side to autographs. That's all I find out. As we were a dealer I was talking to admitted the dealers. We were at the Trump Plaza at that time, and he was a little bit down to talk to people nicely. I've come out with this. Vicky Bahner was twenty five dollars for a signature, Duke Sneider was ted, and Mays was fifteen. And maybe he's a little po that he didn't get the top billied.
Speaker 2: Maybe. Yeah, he had a pretty good reputation to be really honest with you, I'm disappointed to hear that there are other people who you would say, maybe so, but you might have caught him on a bad day.
Speaker 5: Hank, you never know. I, like I said, I only time I met him, But uh, three years, I've talked to a lot of people and they said he was the same way. Yet I've heard, but especially after he passed on, how many people sports talk shows said how good he was. Well, another guy, a guy in fact, who has another talk show just before you in New York, Bett Willie McCovey. Willie Mays as a kid asked for the signature. McCovey gave the kid the signature. I mean he's a man now, obviously, but he went to May's mass to get I'm not here, don't bother me. I'm here to play baseball, not give out signatures. I know that you have to do it bad days in his life. I don't know.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 5: Thank you for taking a call.
Speaker 2: You sound great. You sound like your own self. Do you sound great. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Okay, Thanks, thanks very much. Hank is a great friend and a listener down in New Jersey and just a great guy. Let's keep rolling here. There's one line open at six one Hank spot has already been filled. Let me go to my friend Dennis in Lowell. Dennis, you are next on nightside.
Speaker 7: Welcome, Well, good evening, Dan. And of course I've got to do a sports celebrity all Corse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you're a sports guy. Come on.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Well, actually, Casey Jones used to live in andover Son Kipper used to play in the Merrimack Valley League, and I coached basketball at Low High for twenty thirty years. I used to do with summer camps up at Norwich University, so for like a decade, and I got to meet Larry Bird, McHale, Paris, Dennis Johnson, Danny Ainge. I've got to be pretty good friends with Jerry Shesting because he'd do the whole week at the camp. Bill. The only thing with Bill Walton is I couldn't do a high five with Bill Walton. He was just a little too tall.
Speaker 2: But well you got you got to meet the entire team with the big eighties.
Speaker 7: You know, oh yeah, yeah, oh yeah. Would you believe I even had a basketball player played for a little High, became captain of Texas Christian University, Tracy Mitchell is his name is one of the last cuts in nineteen eighty six when the Celtics went fifty and one at home. Oh, Casey wanted to keep Tracy, but kept another guy they drafted. You know, I didn't want to blow a million dollars, so that was a problem.
Speaker 2: Who was the guy they drafted that they kept instead?
Speaker 7: Oh jeez, I can't think of his name. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that. That's tough. Have you kept in contact with Tracy Mitchell?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, he's still around Lowell and he's still rougherees basketball and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's sometimes I dealt with a lot of sports guys over the years, as you know, and sometimes I respond. I referred to it as the cruel gift. You know, the guys who were great Triple A players or what sometimes they call four A players and that could not make it to the big leagues or NHL players who were great players in college, did really well in the AHL, but just you know, they ended up playing European hockey. And again, think of a guy being, you know, cut from the Celtics would have been the twelfth man back in those.
Speaker 7: Four would have loved to have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well I don't know. Did they carry fourteen back in.
Speaker 11: That and.
Speaker 7: Just twelve?
Speaker 2: I think it might have been, I think for a while, and I think they then expanded it later. But but yeah, again, a cruel gift. You're so talented, you chase that dream, and you're that close. You're that close. You and I never were that close. So we were blessed.
Speaker 12: Dennis, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks talk soon. I got Jim in Kansas City. Jim, I kind of imagine who you might I met up there in KC. How are you, buddy?
Speaker 7: Hi Dan, I'm happy again? Thank you? How are you great?
Speaker 2: You're always happy?
Speaker 7: Go ahead, I am.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 9: This is when I was living in San Diego and I had to be like eighty eight, maybe eighty nine. I was working for this concrete construction company called RW Hankins down in National City. We got a contract to redo some of the concrete work at Sea World at the Amphitheater, at the Shamou Show at Shamoo at the Shamoo Show, but they were still it was a part of the season when it was closed, but they were still doing something there in the afternoon, so we had to start work like three o'clock in the morning. We started work, and they told us very first day, don't go over where shamou is, don't go in there, don't touch the you know. Sure enough, one morning nobody was around, I went over there, I kneeled down. It came right They're trained to come up to get a fish, and it came right up and I patted it on head and then it went back down again.
Speaker 2: You met Shammoo the whale.
Speaker 7: I met. I met Shamou. It was a good experience.
Speaker 2: Okay, Shamoo the whale. Okay, so so you're you're I got, I got Jackie Kennedy, Shammoo the whale, Ronald Reagan, Willie Mays. I mean that's a group Shammoo the whale. Uh shamo Hey, you know something? Hey, that that's everybody knew Shamoo, that's for sure. How many sheamoos did they have. I assumed that when one shamou passed on, they they had another shamoo, right, I assume.
Speaker 5: Well, like I.
Speaker 9: Said, this was the one in eighty eight or eighty nine, there was only one of.
Speaker 7: Them in this tank.
Speaker 13: Okay, well, yeah, there was just I think they had other tanks where they kept dolphins and you know whatever else, but this was a special place and they said don't go in there. Sure enough, I went in.
Speaker 2: All right, Well that's okay. Sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do. Jim, thanks much to talk soon, Thanks buddy. I'll enjoyed that.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: Let me get Jay and framing him in here, Jay and framing him is next.
Speaker 5: Hi Jay, how are you good?
Speaker 7: Hi Dan? How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Give me your celebrity go right ahead. I should have asked Jim on Chimu if Chimu treated him well, but I suspect people treated yeah.
Speaker 7: Anyway, So last summer I was with my wife on the Cape and we went into the Hot Chocolate Sparrow. It's our favorite place on the Cape.
Speaker 2: To get town that What town is that?
Speaker 7: Oh it's in Orleans.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, I know Orleans show.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's right near the Rotary. Anyway, So we were in there and look, there are a whole bunch of people seated inside, have their coffees and lunches and stuff. And I see the circle of people and there's this guy there that looked, you know, very very come ending, like he's holding court. You know, and he had his friends around him, like, he looks so familiar, and I'm thinking, oh, I know who that is. That's Curtis Armstrong. Now do you know who that is by name?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know who that is, but sounds like he.
Speaker 7: Was one of the He was one of the most prevalent supporting actors in the eighties. He he was in Risky Business, he was in Moonlighting, he was in Revenge of the Nerds, he was in Better Off Dead.
Speaker 2: Okay, again, I'm not a big movie guy, but that's that's Did you get a chance to chat with them?
Speaker 7: Not so much of a chat, but as he was I saw him. I didn't know if I wanted to bother him too much, but he was getting up, so I figured I got to go talk to him. Sure, and I said, you know, Curtis. He goes yes, and I said, Hi, I'm really big fan and loved your movies and stuff, and you know, can I get a picture? And so I have a selfie with him. He looks somewhere between bored and annoyed. I'm looking at at.
Speaker 2: His picture now here Actually yeah, yeah, so it was it was not sound. I thought you might have been going here. It was not a pleasant memory.
Speaker 7: Well it was still great. Okay. It was great for me, Maybe not for him.
Speaker 2: He's not a big guy. He's only five feet forward.
Speaker 7: Says yeah, yeah. So did you ever see the show Moonlighting? The TV show I've.
Speaker 2: Been I've been working in radio and TV most of the career. Nights in TV, I worked six and eleven o'clock newscast. I assume Moonlighting was on in prime what we call prime time. Yeah, yeah, no, I missed that.
Speaker 7: Tvrs were so prevalent. But Bruce Willis was the star, okay, and Curtis Armstrong was, like, you know, the supporting actor in the show.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, Curtis Armstrong. So he was okay, but he wasn't. He didn't become like a close personal friend, is what you're telling me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's right. So it's how it goes sometimes.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. You got that selfie? You got that Selfieeah? Hey, Jake, thanks, I love that one. Thanks much, Doctor you later. All right. I must tell you tonight that that in terms of famous Jack Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and Shammou the Whale are ahead of Curtis Curtis Armstrong.
Speaker 7: And tell you the next year on the Cape, I think I saw another celebrity.
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 8: Do you drive a Volvo?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do so.
Speaker 7: About a month ago we were on the Cape again. We're pulling into the dunkin Donuts and Harwich Where that was you pulling out in a Volvo?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I have a black Vovo. Yes I do. And I've been known to frequent dunkin Donuts And I would have taken a selfie with you and I wouldn't have been bored, trust me.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks Jay, Okay, that's my other that's my good celebrity seting.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, Bal we'll talk so next time when you see me, say hi, we'll have a coffee.
Speaker 7: Okay, thanks, Okay, we'll do.
Speaker 2: I have a great one. I think Curtis Armstrong is probably a bigger name than maybe not in Boston. Maybe not in Boston. Quick break coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, let's buckle up. We get five minutes, five calls. Let's see if we can do it. Gonna go first off to Doris in Lympfield. Doris next on nightside.
Speaker 11: Hi Jan, I met my favorite beetle on my honeymoon.
Speaker 2: Come on which one?
Speaker 11: George Harrison?
Speaker 2: Where?
Speaker 11: So we will flying to Hannah, Mawi and it was like a six or eight seater in. The pilot said to us, you see that construction down there. George Harrison is building a house. So I'm like, oh my gosh. So the whole week we were in Honor, I kept asking the people at the hotel any sighting of George Harrison every day?
Speaker 7: No, no, no.
Speaker 11: So the day we were leaving for Kawhi, and we had to go to the airport, which is this tiny little building, a hangar, about six seats outside of the building, and I had my suitcase, my pocketbook, everything all over every single seat. My husband goes to the men's room. This car pulls up and the passenger gets out.
Speaker 2: I'm pushing you a little because they got five people for I know.
Speaker 11: He was wonderful.
Speaker 2: He was okay, that's what we want to hear.
Speaker 11: We're sitting there and my husband comes out in you know, before cell phones, I had my camera taken. Oh yeah, we took pictures of him. He had his sunglasses on and my husband saying take off your sunglasses because you know no one's going to believe that.
Speaker 4: We back.
Speaker 2: That's great, that's great, Doors, I gotta run. If you called earlier, I would have spent five minutes talk with you.
Speaker 11: But I was on hold a long time. But that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well only on for ten minutes. Some people are onlonging to that. Thanks Doors, All right, take him in order. Let's go to Kennon, Florida. Kenny, gotta be quick for me, buddy. Who's your celebrity?
Speaker 7: I'll be quick.
Speaker 14: Athletes Wade Boggs, Lot, Kim Boyd, Kim Neely, Linden Byers, Dennis Johnson, Rick Roby, uh, musicians, musicians Steven Tyler, John Denver two years before he died, and Dan, you're gonna love this one. Benjamin Orr of the Cars, and I got to drink bud Cans with him at the place that you love, the Channel in Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I went to the Channel only once I met my wife there.
Speaker 14: And that's what I know.
Speaker 7: You told story you met your wife.
Speaker 2: I'll tell that story mother or now wait, yeah, I love the list. It's a laundry list. I'll tell you. Thanks man.
Speaker 7: I love you, Dan.
Speaker 2: Bye, you two pell be well, be well, be well, Lee and Mendon, Lee Gonna get you and two more in Garrett Head Lee.
Speaker 12: Hi, Dan Uh Bellingham, Massachusetts a parade in nineteen sixty nine. Mike Garrel from Greenhouse was on there. He was sitting on the back of his convertible and I was grabbed my camera to take a picture. As he came by, he was gesturing to me that the fingle with my finger was on the lens and he was telling me that too, And when the photo came out, it's the perfect of him showing me that I had my finger over the less and it didn't distract the picture at all.
Speaker 2: Oh that's you.
Speaker 12: Have a good night, you two, Lee, Thank you Dan.
Speaker 2: We've got two left. We're gonna get him both in We're gonna go Matt, Matt and Brighton. You gotta be quick, Matt, go ahead.
Speaker 15: Matt, all right, Dan, real quick and I lived in Key West. Four years ago I was able to be in a movie with Matthew Mcconaugheyes, drown a Hill, I mean a couple of people seeing the Coney was one of my favorites. Ice is most antaous guy. You know the hill, the exact opposite. Happened to meet McConaughey. Cool inspirational time, and.
Speaker 2: That's a great I love Coney too, I think. And you know from Texas by.
Speaker 15: The way, as you know, yes, yes, before I got to run.
Speaker 2: What do we got? One minute? One minute? We're going to make it. Here we go marry and hang and hang am Mary, you got thirty seconds go?
Speaker 4: Yes. Bernian the he played for the.
Speaker 2: Philadelphia Flyers, goaltender Bernie Barrant A good one, right, came up with that. I think he came up with the Bruins and eventually got I think. I think, yeah, absolutely, that's a good one. Mary, that's what that's.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 2: He gave me.
Speaker 4: It gave me tickets to the next game. He left. He's one of some places where I can movement. But he meant and another man met me about Mary.
Speaker 2: I hate to do this to you, but we're way over, so I gotta let you run. Call early. I give you more time. Have a great weekend, Mary, have a great weekend. Everyone. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's what my pal Charlie Ray is, who passed fourteen years ago in February. That's all your pets are who were passed. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them again. Hope to see again tomorrow on Monday Night. Have a great weekend everybody. I'll be on Facebook Night Side with Dan Ray and Facebook in about two minutes. Join me there. Thanks Rob Brooks, Thanks Marina.