Speaker 1: Ripped up.
Speaker 2: News.
Speaker 1: You need advice, who you don't have? Come running to sustass as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man, This is.
Speaker 3: The Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martinez, you know here.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. We have uh calls out the nose. We're gonna go right to the phone. Today is insurance. They have Brian Burns from Compass Insurance. We'll be talking about insurance, the smart things to do, the stupid things to do, what people are running into. Also, you know what to do with adults living in your home, what to do with children living in your home, what to do with new the with the condos and town homes. We got so much on the on the forefront here with insurance. And I believe I'm going to get Mark ups soon here on video. But I believe he's in the studio. Mark are you there? Yeah, yeah, gosh, okay, just time in. I'll send you that link in a minute.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: I got behind. I'm sorry, April, April, what is going on with you? Let's start right out with you. April. Hello, Hey, what's happening?
Speaker 6: Oh well, we have a situation with a vehicle that I have a son that is now seventeen, almost eighteen, will be. He's in college right now doing the aviation program at Metro.
Speaker 4: Oh cool.
Speaker 6: This has been a two year battle that we don't like.
Speaker 4: Now, is it your son's car?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 4: Okay? What kind of car?
Speaker 6: Well, it was a nineteen sixty five Carmen Ghia that his dad helped him to purchase two years ago.
Speaker 4: I had one of those. I had one of those. I love. Oh my god. It was orange, by the way, they of them were orange in that time. So what happened?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we we purchased it knowing it was going to need work obviously a vehicle of that age.
Speaker 4: How long ago?
Speaker 6: Two over two years ago?
Speaker 4: Now, okay, and you were going to restore it?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 6: So we went to this shop they were recommended. I think my ex husband is actually kind of the one that did this. So I don't know how we ended up specifically at this shop, but they had promised all of this work to it.
Speaker 4: What shop did you take it to?
Speaker 6: Took a automotive in north wind and you don't know how they found it?
Speaker 4: Okay, Advanced automotive and what happened.
Speaker 6: They had told us that it needed a full engine swap because of the age of it, and likely a body swap that they were going to have to put it on.
Speaker 4: Then what did you there's nothing left of the car. They bought a frame. Wait wait wait, seriously, they needed to swap the body and the motor.
Speaker 8: That's the whole car.
Speaker 6: Well, the body needed to the body needed to go on a different frame. From my understanding, I'm not the most mechanically inclined I like I said, my ex husband is the one that kind of set this up. But they agreed to the work so that the car was purchased for around six thousand as is, and then we have paid this shop over ten thousand in the last two years with promises.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait you spent how much you spent? How much?
Speaker 6: The original purchase of the car was about six thousand, right, and then the stop has been paid around ten thousand for.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait, ken, you're sixteen thousand dollars in a sixty five carman Gia. Yes, that's now. Have they done? Wait? Have they done? Have they done any work?
Speaker 6: The engine slop was complete, but then when they got the engine slopped done. They said they decided against the new frame they were going to put it on.
Speaker 9: But now it.
Speaker 6: Supposedly has rhast problem. There's a whole list of new problems that they've now come up with, saying that it needs an excess.
Speaker 4: Of Okay, is your husband, is your ex around that we can talk to or your son?
Speaker 6: Us?
Speaker 10: My son?
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm driving right now, but I can get both of them. I can try to get them on the phone.
Speaker 4: All right, because really we'll try to help you, We really will.
Speaker 8: We have our.
Speaker 4: Deputies listening right now, but I'm going to put you on hold because we truly do need to know more about this. Okay, Now do you feel let me just ask you some gut questions. Do you think advanced automotive is trying to cheat you?
Speaker 6: Well, we're not sure. First, my son, he was in high school at the time. He gets straight a's, he's a good student. He worked two jobs to try to fund this fix of this car that was kind of his little dream fix up car because he wanted something as a young kid, unusual, and you know, he excited about finding this cop that was going to stand out from your typical Honda that a sixteen year old kid would drive, and he worked his butt off while still pulling great grades, paying his own money, working at Taco Bell.
Speaker 5: To do this, So, okay.
Speaker 6: Drug out for two years is problematic enough.
Speaker 4: But then well, well that's not unusual for this kind of a project.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So we get to the point that it's supposed to be done, and now they're saying it needs about fifty thousand dollars more of work.
Speaker 4: Wait, wait, you're not saying fifty as in five to Oh oh no, I am okay, wait a minute. Who are you working with.
Speaker 9: That advanced I'm the owner.
Speaker 6: Alex Kuba Suck or something like that is his name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm not assuming. I'm not assuming he's doing anything wrong. I don't have any I mean basically, you bought a car and you're replacing everyone for fifty grand. I mean, my god, almighty. You buy a brand new car. You all know that, right, You can buy a Tesla.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, that's why when it came back with you know, the original ten thousand, we figure in older car. It's an investment. You know, you're going to spend the money.
Speaker 4: You might be able to sell what you have and at least recoup some of the money. Obviously, what is your son an ex inclined to do right now? Do you know?
Speaker 6: Well, so what they have offered us, and this is where it takes another weird turn. What they have offered. They've admitted now that they spit off more than they can chew.
Speaker 9: The scope is out of their work.
Speaker 6: And so this fifty thousand they're wanting us to spend, they would be sending it to a Volkswagen specialist.
Speaker 4: For fifty Come on, this is did no? Come on? Did? Okay? Am I hearing this right? I'm almost feeling like I'm in the Twilight Zone. I swear to God, there's something wrong here. There really is something totally wrong, totally wrong. Yeah, what I'm hearing is I mean, come on, it's just too crazy. I mean, fifty thousand? Do they think that you're crazy? All right? I want to talk to your son. Okay, let's hold on three h three seven or three talk Just wait, KITCHENA get a hold of get Maybe Mark can call the sun off the ear. I don't know, Mark, Is this the craziest story we've heard now for restoration? Yet here's something wrong with it?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, David's turn, David, what's going on? David?
Speaker 9: Hi, David, what's happening in a parking scam?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: What do you? What do you mean by a parking were you let me ask you this? Were you toad?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: I was not.
Speaker 4: Okay, tell me about it then go ahead?
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 9: Several weeks back, I went to a restaurant on South Colorado Boulevard with a friend of mine. We sat there and talked for just a shade over three hours.
Speaker 4: Which restaurant it was?
Speaker 9: Actually the Kava Restaurant in South Colorado, got it and we left. We thought no more of it. Just yesterday I got a bill in the mail from a parking company they're called Parking Revenue Recovery Services, for eighty two dollars for parking in the parking lot of that restaurant. The problem is when we drove in there was no gate. Saying you know there was no gate? We didn't.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, is it parking for the restaurant or not?
Speaker 10: Yes, it is.
Speaker 4: What's the restaurant called again, Kava?
Speaker 9: Tava?
Speaker 4: How do you spell it?
Speaker 11: C a va?
Speaker 4: Okaykava? Now you got a ticket, You got a ticket for parking there. Now, now what I want to know is this was it? It was the designated parking for the restaurant, right, yes it was. And I don't get this part. Why did you get a ticket for it? I don't get it. Were you supposed to put money somewhere? What were you supposed to do to not get a ticket?
Speaker 11: You were not?
Speaker 9: There was nowhere to put money. It turns out there was a QR code you could scan to pay electronically.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now, I've seen that before, where there's a little sign on the pole that says scan this blah blah blah. I've done this before, and Cherry created the same thing where yep, yep. Now are you claiming are you wait? Wait, are you claiming there is absolutely no way to pay? And they do this to everyone.
Speaker 9: No, there is a way to pay. I'm claiming the sign is so small that you're okay, aware.
Speaker 11: That you have got it?
Speaker 4: Okay, got it? Now. I don't think it's a scam. I think it's a scam. I don't think think. I think it kind of is. It's weird. Now here's what I want to know. First of all, let me explain a few things to you. Okay, this is nothing more than a collection notice from a private entity in order for you for them to collect a dime from you. They can't do anything to your license. They can't do anything to your car. They can't do anything. It is a private collection notice. I used to own parking lots and we would put up a notice. It looks a lot like a ticket. It's a private thing. They'd have to take you to court and get a judgment where you can tell your story and tell them to go shove it. Until then you can do that. They can't do anything to you. It's private, Okay, I mean, does that make sense? So I'm not telling you not to pay it. I'm telling you that if you feel it was not right, then you write them a letter saying you had no idea. You'd be happy to pay for what would have been the parking. You might do that, or you might ignore it altogether. Do they have a picture of your car in the lot?
Speaker 9: They have a picture of my car entering and leaving the lot.
Speaker 4: Okay, good? And what I would say now now, did you go back to the lot to see the QR code? Yes?
Speaker 9: I did?
Speaker 4: And and are you looking at it mark on Google Maps? If I know you. I I'm trying to find this Kava. I just Brian, did you look at it? Brian Burns here with compass and church? Were you looking at it? Brian? Did you? Did you find it? Dmitri? Did you see the sign anywhere?
Speaker 12: Just found their website and their address and I haven't been able to get an image of the of the street.
Speaker 4: All right, so tell me about the sign. How big is it? All?
Speaker 13: I see there is a five guys, a Zoe's Kitchen and red Wing. Is this the same place or what?
Speaker 9: No, it's not. It's almost directly across the street from Dave and Busters.
Speaker 13: Yeah, okay, Oh wait, is it the parking garage by Dave and Busters?
Speaker 9: A parking garage? It's a parking lot. It's the parking lot of a strip mall. This is in a strip mall, and it's just the normal parking lot of a strip mall.
Speaker 8: Is there a natural Grocer's there?
Speaker 9: I think there is?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay?
Speaker 12: Are you ninth in Colorado?
Speaker 9: No, it's actually about twentieth in Colorado. It's on the west side of Colorado at about twentieth Oh sorry, two zero something something. It's South Colorado. It's twenty blocks South Colorado.
Speaker 13: Well, I see, I see signs in this parking lot. And it's not just one. I see quite a few of them. What I don't understand is it says it looks like most of them are it's just for patrons. In other words, if you're there shopping, you should be able to park there.
Speaker 8: So I don't get it.
Speaker 4: Just look at man. Here's what I would do. I would take my if you feel confident about your argument. What by the way, there is no requirement for the size of sign except for the towing sign. There's a requirement for that side eyes. What I would do is is that that's the law that would probably apply, because they probably tell you you're subject to towing. Probably. But what you should do is do what I said, offer and then tell them to stick it unless you may lose. And you may lose because that sign does. I don't know how big is it, David, How big is the sign?
Speaker 9: Actually I went back and looked. The sign is about three feet by three feet wide. But the lettering on the sign is now an inch high.
Speaker 4: Wait wait, wait, now, come on, the lettering on the sign telling you to pay is one half inch.
Speaker 9: That is correct. I have David the sign to prove.
Speaker 4: It, send it to us, send us a picture.
Speaker 13: Oh, I see it. It's a big red sign. Correct, Yeah, I'm looking at it. I mean, wait a minute, is it a half inch letters? Come on, man, there're half inch letters.
Speaker 4: It's it. Come on, man, Marcus Well familiar with a half inch? Mark?
Speaker 5: Mark?
Speaker 4: A half inch? Really? Come on, it's pretty small man.
Speaker 9: Actually, if you'd like, I'll go back with a ruler.
Speaker 4: Okay, David, that David, because I would challenge it, Okay, I mean I would what would Mark? Wouldn't you think of half an inch? Would you? David?
Speaker 13: I wouldn't. I just wouldn't pay it. There's I wouldn't challenge it. I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: I want you to, David. I will take you literally, I will take your video and put it up for people to see. Would you can you get over there today before the show ends?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 9: I can.
Speaker 4: Okay, Kachina talk to him. I want to get that video, I swear to you. Hold on, I'm gonna mark this pending. This is crazy stuff we're dealing with today, and I am way over time, by the way. Oh my goodness, gracious me, oh my okay, So hang on Please, we got more coming up on the troubleshooter show. Waterpros dot net the best water system right now, combination reverse osmosis, drinking water and softening for the whole house. I swear to you thirty one ninety five for the entire system. It would be just at his great prices over five and and plumbers. Would I promise you would charge fifteen for this? Waterpros dot Net three O three eight six two five five five four. Do your family a favor. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talk three all three seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 13: So there's free parking there, he said, the only time there'd ever be an issue if someone was parked there for a long period of time and weren't in the restaurant. So I don't think this has anything to do with signage being a half inch or whatever. I think it's got to do what the guy was there forever and it got towed.
Speaker 4: You really think so? Hum?
Speaker 14: Hm?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 13: I called the restaurant. I said, you have free parking, No, I.
Speaker 4: Get you, I get you, And he said there was free parking. My god, absolutely free parking.
Speaker 13: Now if you're if you're parked in front of us for ever and you're not here, the landlord might tow it, but we wouldn't toe it.
Speaker 1: Gosh.
Speaker 4: I I I just am baffled by this whole thing. I just am. I'm baffled. But anyway, three oh three seven one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five Mark, I just sent the uh the zoom link so you can join us on YouTube, and I sent it to help into you two and so let's keep going here. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five to five. I went, I guess he's going out to get the sign though, because no matter what he'll need that. Let's talk to Sue about a construction company. Sue, what's going on with you? Sue? You good? What's happening to me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you talked to us a while ago.
Speaker 2: This has been an ongoing issue. I live here in Westminster at yacht club one.
Speaker 4: How long ago did I talk to you about this?
Speaker 15: Probably almost a year ago?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember something about the yacht club. I do, So tell me what's going on.
Speaker 2: So it's been ongoing. We have one hundred and fifty one units, and some of them I will say rental, but you know, the owners are fully aware of this. So twenty seventeen there was a hailstorm, so.
Speaker 4: We have I'm gonna I'm going to bring up my expert here too. I'm going to go to watch it. Am.
Speaker 13: I to understand there's a yacht club in Westminster.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh and we're pretty blessed as a It's called Hidden Lake sixty ninth in Sheridan.
Speaker 4: It's okay, I know I know about it. Yeah, So tell me what the issue is now. So you have one hundred and sixty one units and there was a hailstorm. The hailstorm was.
Speaker 2: When twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Okay, so what's going on now?
Speaker 2: So we won the litigation. It took years.
Speaker 4: Why was their litigation that part? You got to tell me now?
Speaker 6: Why, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: When I bought the house, I didn't even know that we would.
Speaker 4: What was the litigation for the hailstorm?
Speaker 2: Yeah, regarding the repair the roofs so siding.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, what I mean is who were you? Who was the HOA suing.
Speaker 2: The insurance company? Why for funding? Allocations of funding? How much money we were to delop to get allocations for the repairs?
Speaker 4: In other words, the the it was almost a bad faith lawsuit because your your insurance was turning down and what.
Speaker 2: Well, that wasn't the issue. We won that case. Yes, that was the issue. We won the amount of the money that we.
Speaker 4: Need, Okay, Okay, that's always is.
Speaker 2: We won that. So we had got eight point four million dollars, We have that in our We have that have or had that money in our HOA?
Speaker 4: Got it find.
Speaker 2: Okay, moving on, We won that. We We were very happy about that. He had a board and the board we had some people that have been in the.
Speaker 6: Board for quite a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't really want to say the names.
Speaker 4: Did they all take vacations?
Speaker 2: Oh that's exactly it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, wait wait, Sue, Sue, wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait you're not kidding, right, are you saying they took the money?
Speaker 2: I'm on my soul? So let me tell you.
Speaker 4: I'm going to no no, wait, wait, where's the eight point Hold on? I just have to ask a few questions. Where's the eight point four million?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 4: So wait, no, can you is it there?
Speaker 2: No? We can't find it. So according to.
Speaker 4: Our oh my god. Now, now here's what's funny, Mark, as you know Mark, because it's happened to us how many times in forty five years. What's going to happen is you're going to see this now on TV and then if some TV reporter is going to claim that he uncovered this. So I want everyone to know, well if she ever gets to what happened to it?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 4: Right, hold on, I gotta take a break. I want to I want to hear this story, I promise you, but I want to give you more time. I'm Tom Martino. Eight million missing or four wait whatever it's missing? Come on? Three? Oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two fivety five. Frankaranderealestateman dot com will do a free market valuation of your home for the asking. If you're looking to sell, if you're looking to buy, he can tell you what you can net and what you'll buy. It's all free. It's part of his complementary service of giving back no obligation three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. He takes into consideration all elements. Frank rand the real Estateman dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Wait time for an insurance check up free no obligation. Comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hey, Tom Martine, I got to go back to sue now. According to her, there was an insurance lawsuit the HOA was awarded eight point four million dollars and it probably if they if it happened in twenty seventeen, the money was probably awarded in eighteen. Who knows, but that's like nineteen twenty one, six years ago, Sue, I need to ask. I know you want to tell a story, but I need to ask for you. Is the money actually missing?
Speaker 2: So this is what happened. Okay.
Speaker 16: Now, as far as our visit statue, and it's called h like in Harry be Is in Bill twelve Best twelve thirty seven, it states that they have to give us all of our financials as in the HOA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, what is that? I just now? Okay, keep going, keep going. I'm never going to get an answer from you if the money is in the bank or not.
Speaker 2: No, it's not, it's not. They will not show us anything.
Speaker 4: Well, then hold on, hold on. There's a difference between they won't show you and it's not there. I need to know, did anyone verify the money is missing?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: So the to the Vice president, we do, we do not. We cannot see it. They are not allowing us.
Speaker 4: So I'm going to ask this one more. I'm going to ask this one more time, so it has anyone verified it is missing.
Speaker 2: Yes, we cannot see it. We are not allowed.
Speaker 4: Okay, Sue, Sue, hold on, Sue, you can't see my money and it's not missing.
Speaker 2: It's missing.
Speaker 4: Now how do you know? How do you know it's missing.
Speaker 2: Us residents of the community, the home owners. It's gone. We can't see it.
Speaker 4: Okay, meaning what what does that mean? Did you go to the bank and the bank said the money is not here?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: They will not share financial records about the millions in renovations.
Speaker 4: Okay. Hold on now, So since twenty seventeen, has any repairs taken place? Have any repairs taken place?
Speaker 6: All?
Speaker 2: Yes, they have?
Speaker 4: Okay, now hold on, hold on during from twenty seventeen till now. Please, I don't want exaggeration or hyperbally or accusations, although they all may be true. Trust me, Sue. I want to help you, but first I need to know this hold on, what major renovations since that twenty seventeen lawsuit have been done. Just give me a list of what has been done.
Speaker 2: I'll start with the roof, the gutters, the the walls, you know, the privacy walls, and the shiding.
Speaker 4: Now now, hold on, so are you are you saying that the roof, the gutter, the walls and the siding cost zero and the whole eight point four should still be in the bank.
Speaker 2: I will rephrase it. They have been done. The financial statements haven't been up.
Speaker 4: To par because.
Speaker 2: The materials were poor.
Speaker 13: Materials were from stolen money and vacations too, you know, Sue.
Speaker 4: I want to I want to know something. Are you part? Did you guys all go to a meeting and demand information?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Most definitely?
Speaker 4: And what how many of you? How many of you?
Speaker 6: I have, well some of them?
Speaker 4: Are how many of you? I'm not going to go on until you answer one question directly? How many residents have been questioning the board at meetings.
Speaker 2: On March twenty seventh through? We're thirty two?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I have ok now written down.
Speaker 4: I want to know this again. Are they literally refusing? Now before you answer, listen to the whole question. Are they literally refusing to show you financials? Or do you simply disagree with what they're showing you?
Speaker 2: They are refusing so they.
Speaker 4: Have not shown you anything?
Speaker 10: Nopegerating?
Speaker 4: Okay, So who represents the h A board members? Do you want names, Yes, who represents them?
Speaker 2: Julie McLain and Larry J.
Speaker 13: I R.
Speaker 2: And they will not I'm just reading a fly.
Speaker 4: Are they attorneys? Are they attorneys?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 4: Do you realize? Okay? First of all, okay, I don't understand when you say they will not show you financials. So why don't you get a petition to house those board members?
Speaker 6: We did, and we have it.
Speaker 4: How many signatures do you have?
Speaker 5: We have the.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty, We have the percentage to boost them out.
Speaker 4: When are you going to do it?
Speaker 2: Well in January? First, we are supposed to have the whole new board member. I'm not on the board. My neighbor is. So this lady that's been on the board for multiple years think she can kick him off. I don't know, you know the of being on the HOA.
Speaker 4: But here's what I want to know, Sue. Why don't the people that sign that petition, if they each if they each chipped in just one hundred dollars, they can retain an attorney to look into this.
Speaker 2: I have one, Actually, well, did.
Speaker 4: You hire him?
Speaker 2: We're doing the steps we want, but we want the news to do this because we do not want other people to deal with this.
Speaker 4: Well, I know, but you have to do it through the courts. I'm going to look into it. But I don't think the money is missing. I think they've used the money for a lot of this. They might have some left. I just don't know why they're not sharing it. In other words, I need to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, one one man, and I don't even want to say gentlemen, is suing us. And he moved into a nine hundred thousand dollars home.
Speaker 13: Now what do you mean, He's, Sue Hells a nice hundred thousand dollars home.
Speaker 4: The average is six hundred thousands.
Speaker 2: It's an eerie Okay, So.
Speaker 4: What are you saying? He was on the board. He was on the board, and he took money and left, yep, and.
Speaker 2: He tried to run. Can I tell you the name of the construction company? Because this guy didn't even know how to run a construction company. I have one hundred and eighty pitchers of falsified the job. They were trying to pour cement over rotted wood.
Speaker 4: Okay, listen, Sue, you were either a genius or a nut. There's no in between here. So you are you claiming that the current HOA stole the money.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying all of it, but they were in part. Instead of getting goodwood, they got third class and this guy and this.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, hold on, are you saying though they dummied up the bills so they could keep some of them, so they exaggerated the bills.
Speaker 2: You think most definitely he paid himself. He sat out here in a forget Wait wait, wait, who is he?
Speaker 4: Is he? Hold on? Is he the contract? Just wait, Sue, please wait for the question. The person you're talking about. Was he the one hired to do the work or was he an HOA member HOI member?
Speaker 2: And he owned a private construction company?
Speaker 4: And was that construction company the one to do the repairs?
Speaker 2: Yes, he hired him.
Speaker 4: Wait, so he hired himself to do the repairs.
Speaker 2: She hired Blue Spruce without any of us.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm asking again, does he own or is he part of the construction company?
Speaker 2: No, she found the company he found.
Speaker 4: Do you think he's getting kickbacks from this company?
Speaker 2: Most definitely did Blues.
Speaker 4: Well, you know you better. You know you're on the air saying this, by the way, and you're subject to a lawsuit. Okay, Now, Blue Spruce. Did they do all of the repairs or they just do some of them?
Speaker 2: They subcontracted to some people, Okay.
Speaker 4: I understand, but they were in charge of the whole project. Correct, Okay, Hold on a second, Okay, I need to take a break. We are going to look into this. Okay. In fact, I'm gonna I really mean this sincerely, I'm gonna have someone contact you off the air and sue this is not an insult to you. But we also need to talk to other people involved, not just you. Okay, do you think you can give us the names of other concerned citizens? There? Did she hang up?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: I'm right here, I just did.
Speaker 4: Okay, she's on hold good, hold on, Katschina. I want to give this to d right here. Please hang on. We got more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure Thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one. Help you'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter. Three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Okay, So Troy has an issue with Frontier Airlines and uh we still have an insurance expert here. Of course you hear Brian Burns Compass Insurance Group. This this whole thing has has me crazy, This hoa thing. Things going on with that Mark.
Speaker 13: I have no idea, but I don't like how it started out. They absconded with the money and went on vacation. Then they're buying million dollar homes. I don't see any proof of that. We don't see anything. Something's wrong. I don't understand why they don't share the books that should be done. It looks like you're going through the proper sequence too, in order to kick these people out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, now we're now and Deputy D's talking to her. Now, let's talk to Troy. Troy, what's going on with Frontier?
Speaker 11: Hey, good morning, Tom, Thank you for saying Troy. Yeah, it's interesting because on Sunday I was flying out from Dimmer to Little Rock to go visit my daughter grandkids, who was gonna throw me my party for me for my sixtieth birthday when I turned sixty. On the fourth, we had flights on Frontier. We went to the airport well, flight was delayed, but when we started the board, we were asked to go out on the tarmac and there was a three tier ramps smoked ramp to get onto the plane. There were three passengers that were on had wheelchairs and the first two were put on the plane, went up the ramp and buy an attendant of Frontier. The third lady in the wheelchair had a friend with her. They started to go up the ramp and I noticed that she was struggling and.
Speaker 4: All right, you hold on. I want to come back to you. I want to hear this story. Please don't go anywhere. I'm Tom Martina. We have more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven to one help you'll think are his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped of new need advice, So you don't help come running just as fast as can. Shooter's gonna help. Come man, This is.
Speaker 3: The Troubleshooter Show. Now Tom Martinez, Hi.
Speaker 4: Tom Martin here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five Here to help you solve problems, answer questions, take complaints, make your life just a little easier here, and we have a lot going on. We have, of course Brian Burns here the Insurance Health Center. You can always get your quotes at three oh three nine nine six nine thousand on Well, it's not just a quote, it's a review of what you have and if you have a great deal, they're going to honestly let you know. We've been very busy this morning. We have to go back to the phones. This issue with Frontier Airlines. Troy was telling us that he was boarding a plane. There was a three level ramp to board the plane. There were three people in three passengers and wheelchairs. Continue your story, Troy, What was going on then?
Speaker 11: All right? Thanks Tom? Yeah, the main purpose is that I was removed from the air the airline that day for I didn't know.
Speaker 4: Hold on, how did that happen? I mean you you talked about, well, how did that have?
Speaker 13: Talked about three people in wheelchairs going up a ramp. Two of them got it, and.
Speaker 4: Now you were removed from the flight. Why were you removed from the flight? For goodness sakes?
Speaker 11: Because when I noticed that the third person in the wheelchair needed assistance, I went up to the gentleman and said, are you not going to help this lading and go up to the ram, I said I, And he gave motion that I could help her. So I went and I took over the wheelchair and I pushed it up the ramp. When I got to the entrance of the door of the airplane, there were two flight attendants just standing inside. They did not recognize that we've got there yet. So I tilted the wheelchair back at an angle and got the front wheels up into the airplane. I started to push it into the plane and I got the rear wheels to the small, little six inch ramp. The flight attendant then noticed.
Speaker 5: That I was there.
Speaker 11: She walked up in front of the wheelchair and said, sir, we can't have the wheelchair come into the into the airplane. And I said, well, here, let me just get it up level and we can get her out. So I picked up the rear of the wheelchair and pushed it in another six inches. The wheelchair was level. I helped the lady get out of the wheelchair. She stood there with her hand on the wall. I removed the wheelchair from the airplane. Her friend and her thanked me very much. I took the wheelchair down the ramp. When I came out, all of the passengers applauded this started copying they did. They then allowed us to board the plane. We got on the plane. We were sitting on the plane for at least thirty minutes with the door not being closed, and the staff was up front have being conversation, and we knew something was going on. And shortly after I thought that they started to talk about me, because I saw him pointing at me a couple times. And after forty five minutes of delay, one of the supervisors customer service walked up to me and said, sir, do you have a bag? I need you to talk to you. Off the plane. I was traveling with my girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Now, let me ask you something, Troy. Troy, Yeah, I understand you're telling me your story. But did you say or do anything out of frustration or anger or anything? Now, now we all remember story about Terrell Davis being kicked off a plane for nothing. I mean, did they was there anything that they mistook for aggression or frustration or anger? Okay?
Speaker 11: So since I did not know why I was getting removed off the plane. Once I did get off the plane, I was told that the flight attendant said that I rammed her with the wheelchair.
Speaker 4: Okay, so there was there was a reason. And again, like they said, like Terrell Davis was accused on another airline of of of attacking someone. I can these these flight attendants are overly sensitive. I swear to God they are so so they basically punished you. Correct.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So what was so interesting is that if me hitting her or ramming her with the wheelchair, it had to be at that moment when I lifted the wheelchair up.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And so when we were getting off, I didn't want to go off in handcuffs, so I most definitely did not say anything. All I said was that when I stood up to grab my bag, I turned to the passengers and I said, I apologize for this delay. Didn't realize I said to the lady that I helped in the wheelchair. I hope you can help explain this, you know, because she's I think there's two sides.
Speaker 4: I understand. No, Troy, you don't sound like a nuts. So what happened then?
Speaker 11: So we went ahead and exit the plane. When we got down by the ticket area, the customer service was explaining to me the reason, and she said that the flight attendant accused me of hitting her with the wheelchair, and she felt unsafe for me to travel on the plane.
Speaker 4: This is the Terrell Davis story all over again, all over again.
Speaker 11: I never had two words with this lady other than can I you know too, Let's get this lady.
Speaker 4: Troy, I believe you. So what happened? Since then?
Speaker 11: Since then I filed a couple of complaints. I have received a couple of letters from Frontier, and in my opinion, the letter. Most definitely references you know that there was obviously the issue.
Speaker 4: Did you ever get the name you need the woman you were pushing? Was she aware? Was she alert? Could she say he never intentionally touched her or rammed her or anything?
Speaker 11: Yes, most definitely tell him that's what I mean.
Speaker 4: Do you have her name and number? Sir? Yeah?
Speaker 11: No, I never got it because they just made me exit the plane. I wish I have reached out, and.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you can do about it at this point. Does anyone have any suggestion?
Speaker 13: Well, did you get a refund? Did you get on another plane? What happened in that aspect?
Speaker 11: They did said that they could refund us and that they could get us on the next flight, But the next flight they only do it on Sundays and Thursdays.
Speaker 8: And did you get another flo.
Speaker 13: We did not, because I would have got another flight then I would assume him.
Speaker 11: So I'm looking for legal counsel advice right now.
Speaker 8: We also know that you don't need legal counsel.
Speaker 4: What you need is a damage.
Speaker 8: I don't know what your damage is.
Speaker 13: You didn't you didn't end up going they gave you a refund, You didn't buy another flight that was more expensive. Did you cancel a hotel? Did something happen where you lost money?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, that I would assume him.
Speaker 13: For whatever that is in small claim score. You don't need an attorney. It sounds like it's under seventy five hundred bucks and if it's valid, I would agree with you, right.
Speaker 11: I think, I think Tom. The issue that I have is I have two Frontier employees that are basically not telling the true story. They said that they asked the lady if she needed help, And there is on a Reddit response that has now five and response the gentleman rights On there he says, the craziest thing happened on the flight today. A man was requested to removed from the thing for helping a lady in a wheelchair.
Speaker 13: And the stories wonderful and all I'm telling you just sue them. Just sue them in small claims court for whatever the actual damages are. And if if they're true damages and you missed a hotel where you have money out of pocket, they'll probably show up and pay for it.
Speaker 11: Okay, Yeah, I think probably the damage is just me not getting the ability to go see my granddaughter who was sawing me a birthday party, and we would have had to buy flights on another airline. And I'm an elite member for a Frontier and so I was using miles to get there. And so yes, they afterwards yesterday and they're on my complaint.
Speaker 8: Roy, I get all that.
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, with small claims court, you're not going to sue for missing your birthday party. Your granddaughter was throwing you. But if you had a hotel there, if you had a rental car, if you truly lost money, or if you did buy another ticket, which we already know you didn't and did have additional expenses, that would be valid too. But you don't have any of that. Sure it does suck, though, if you don't know how to fly Frontier.
Speaker 4: It's hard, man, It's really hard.
Speaker 8: I hate.
Speaker 4: But it's not just Frontier. The airlines are getting crazy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 13: They you know, they kind of became like Nazis over a COVID, you know they, I mean really they've become I hate throwing that word around. I'm going to take that back. They become very hard to deal with since COVID.
Speaker 8: It seems.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, it's weird. I mean, she didn't feel safe with you there, Troy. Were you grumping? Were you yelling? Were you causing a scene?
Speaker 11: Not at all, Not at all in that.
Speaker 8: That's the thing.
Speaker 11: If you read the Reddit responses, the customers were blown away. They said, this man helped his lady in a wheelchair and now he's getting kicked.
Speaker 4: I would I would post and post and post as much as I could. I would have gotten the name of the lady and I would have you know because you needed some witnesses on that flight. What flight number was it? And really we should we should put the word out in case someone is listening. Weirder things have happened on the show.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was a Frontier flight F nine four seven seven six leaving from Denver to Little Rock at two point thirty on Sunday.
Speaker 4: It actually on Frontier flight F nine four seven seven six, And it was leaving departing for Little.
Speaker 11: Rock YEP when partying Denver, going too Little rock.
Speaker 4: YEP departing four Little Rock.
Speaker 11: Win at two thirty DM, and it wouldn't leave until four forty. It was the way two hours and ten minutestosa.
Speaker 4: And it was on Sunday afternoon. Yes, it was this just this past Sunday. Yep, Hey, Mark, you've done this before. How do you serve Frontier? You know how to do that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, you just look at Yeah you you serve them in Littleton to be precise.
Speaker 4: But yeah, well you did lose something, did you? When did you end up going or did you skip the whole trip?
Speaker 11: You skipped the whole trip just due to that. We weren't willing financially and everything to want to buy new tickets because I didn't know if I'd ever get refund.
Speaker 4: So then did you? Oh you did get a refund though, Well.
Speaker 11: The thing is a Frontier only flies on Sundays and Thursdays to Little Rock, and so they offered.
Speaker 4: But you, but you did get a refund.
Speaker 11: In the letter they said that they would refund my forty thousand miles And yes, okay, so I did get that refund.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then you'll sign a release, I assured. All right, listen, And I think it sucks. I'm sorry it happened to you, and I wish week. I don't think it's just uh, I don't think it's just Frontier Airlines. Look what happened with Terrell Davis, wasn't it Terrell Davis? Right, yes on Frontier. I'm excuse me, United, it was terrible. Did you hear the story Mark, Yeah?
Speaker 13: I did.
Speaker 4: I just don't remember what airline? Yeah it was United and uh anyway, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show three oh three seven one three A two five five. You know this whole thing, man, people are getting crazy by the way, Denverregen dot com. Yes, my hair is growing. I actually had the you get three treatments for one price for hair restoration using stem cells, and it's it's working. It really is. I mean, I'm amazed by it. But also they can get rid of your pain. They can do painful joints Denver Regen dot com with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real Estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter. Three O three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. All right, let's uh talk here Ron. Now this is a big follow up. This thing sucks. Is Bo around to talk about this? And he is not here today, Sir, I don't know if he's listening. Here's what happened. Ron has had a leak in his ceiling in his apartment and it was coming from a heat exchanger in the ceiling. They claim that it froze up because of his air conditioner and he tried to make his place too cool.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he dropped a temp on the thermostat too much and it froze the.
Speaker 4: Unit, which leaked hot water. And then it's just a long story. Bo says, there's no way in hell he was responsible for that. Bo, by the way, for years and years and years and years and years, was in the HVAC system and the supply system and the whole life. Yeah, he knows all about it. He went out there and looked at it. But they're still charging him for damages they were charging Ron. So, Ron, what is the follow up that you have? We told you, you have an expert defy them. What's going on on now?
Speaker 17: Oh yeah, I try to contact Bo, but I hadn't hurt her back. But I tried to pay the rent Thursday and she refuses. She returned it and said I have to pay the damages along with the rent.
Speaker 13: Well, here's the deal. We already talked to Brad O'Brien on this.
Speaker 4: What did he say, Mark, I'm looking up the colt go ahead.
Speaker 13: It's pretty straightforward. He's going to have his time in court. If they're actually not going to take his money, you need to make sure not to spend that money like a lot of people do. And then if they actually post the eviction notice, you show up to court and that's where you will have your time to fight the eviction.
Speaker 4: And in fact, I thought Brad said you had. Brad said, you probably have a really good chance of prevailing.
Speaker 13: Really really good chance if everything you're telling us is correct, and Bo would be happy to go with you.
Speaker 9: Okay, that's all I needed to know.
Speaker 4: So here's what I want you to do.
Speaker 8: But don't mark money.
Speaker 4: Mark said truer words than if we're ever spoken here. Most people when they withhold or when rent's not accepted, or they withhold they spend it. You want to show the judge a cashier's check for every dime you owe the day you show up and said your honor. They were trying to evict me for not paying damages. I am not responsible for those damages. It was in a unit in the ceiling. You'd be very simple. Remember, the one who wins is the one who explains their their their explains it better. And you'll have an expert with you. So if they have an expert saying he calls the damage bo is very convincing.
Speaker 17: I'm telling you right, Okay, sound good?
Speaker 13: What the hell was that?
Speaker 4: I didn't do it? I didn't touch anything, Shannon?
Speaker 18: Was that you?
Speaker 4: Shannon? All right? I have a question for Brian Burns from Compass. Let me get to my way chat here and then okay, so listen, Brian. They want to know what do you recommend now? Because we've talked about ACV policies. Their condo development has an ACV policy. This person's afraid of being socked with big giant bills. What do they do to ensure themselves?
Speaker 14: Okay, so on their condo policy, also called an HO six policy, make sure you have coverage for loss assessments. But that's not even good enough. So first of all, for loss assessments, I would carry as high as you can go. A lot of carriers will go up to fifty thousand, and it's not very expensive right now, at least to get that coverage. But then you need to read the policy and make sure they don't have a limitation if it's as of the result of an HOA deductible.
Speaker 8: There's language in a lot now.
Speaker 4: I explain that, okay, So if you get loss assessment coverage, yep, you want to make sure the policy covers the assessments for deductibles.
Speaker 14: For an HOA deductible, and they have some of them, don't There's language in there that you might on your declaration page have a fifty thousand dollars limit for loss assessment, but if you read the policy, it says we'll only cover up to five thousand if it's the result of an HOA deductible.
Speaker 4: Then when would they cover fifty?
Speaker 14: To me, there's very little chance they're ever going out to pay the fifty in that case, because I guess if the HOA, if the policy doesn't cover it all together, In other words, if it's not covered there and it's falling to you and it's a covered peril, I guess you would. But majority of losses are going to be because of the HOA deductible.
Speaker 4: That's very interesting. So you have to make sure you have the type of loss assessment coverage that does cover you for deductibles.
Speaker 8: For the HOA deductor for the whole amount.
Speaker 4: And of course if you don't have insurance, loss assessment coverage will cover your assessment. If if it's a covered peril, you got to really be careful. The easiest thing is just called compass. Seriously, Yeah, three h three nine ninety six nine.
Speaker 13: Hey, real quick. I doubt this would ever happen because it's mostly liability, but some property do any umbrellas kick in after that?
Speaker 8: Or that's never been done.
Speaker 14: I'm sorry, so say that again. The umbrella to cover what if.
Speaker 13: Umbrellas are Yeah, go ahead, if you had some form of umbrella coverage, would it actually extend on top of that?
Speaker 4: Umbrellas are only for liability, That's what I started.
Speaker 14: It will ever cover lost assessments coverage. It is purely for your liability. If you're if you're getting sued.
Speaker 4: For some reason, Tim had an issue with his son's dirt bike. Ee, I think a month ago. Hey, Tim, I can't find the call right this second. I'm going to look for it. Explain what the situation was with that dirt bike.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I called you a while back. It's a sund I'm that electric dirt bike I called you that I got.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember he saved up his money for that. How long ago did you call? Tim?
Speaker 10: God, I'm on say, four or five weeks ago. It's been it's been a bit a minute, okay.
Speaker 4: And and what happened?
Speaker 8: Where did you get stolen from?
Speaker 10: I got stolen monument right behind the high school? Because didn't you.
Speaker 4: Say you kind of know who took it?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we do, and our hunch was right. We got the bike back last night. We we we saw this kid riding all over town. We chased him down a few times, and we finally caught up to him and got an address, and we got it back last night.
Speaker 4: But my question was, now, how'd you get it back?
Speaker 10: Well, we called the police because we know where the kid lived, and we said, we chased this kid all over town and these things are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what did police help you get it back.
Speaker 11: They did it.
Speaker 10: Yes, the police went and knocked on the door and interviewed the parents, and then the kid came home and then they saw that they scraped the cereal numbers off, so they drinded him off completely. So I had a hard time proving it was mine. But there is certain things on the bike that we did do it and it matched the description. So they give it back to us.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 13: What did the parents have to say about all this? They would have known if the kid charged. Was the kid charged?
Speaker 10: He's getting charge with the felony. Yes, he repression charges absolutely good. And ironically the parents, believe it or not, are mad because they put a thousand dollars into upgrades on the bike, they said, and they they're asking for their money, like, are you kidding me? So that was weird. But my question was it does have a lot of damage to it, and this bike was brand new, it only had two hundred miles on it. And well, the home owners told me that since it has wheels, it's not covered. It would be a special ATV.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well.
Speaker 4: Is that under your belliwick, Brian, hold on? Go ahead?
Speaker 14: So yeah, I'm sorry, it was a bike, Is that what he said? Or a motorcycle, motorcycle? Yeah, anything so the way, not.
Speaker 4: A motor kind of like an electric bike, it's.
Speaker 19: Not well it's electric, yeah, an electric dirt bike?
Speaker 14: Okay, well electric bikes, there's some You could have coverage underneath your personal property, yes, but if it if it's deemed more of a motorcycle or motor vehicle, man, then then you wouldn't because you have to get anything you can get insurance on its own. That's what I was going to have an exclusion on that homeowner policy.
Speaker 13: Can he get tags on this and actually get insurance on this motorcycle thing.
Speaker 14: That's what I'm saying. Yeah, I would sure think so. If it's a dirt bike, you could, I don't know. I'm asking the guy, can.
Speaker 10: You No, we have to get an always be sticker to ride it up in the trails and park.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's just a trail bike, man, it's probably not even straight legal.
Speaker 8: Brian, Yeah, I know.
Speaker 14: But the same thing if you had a dirt bike like a you know, a Kawasaki two fifty or something that's a dirt bike not used for the road, but you still can get insurance on it.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 13: Okay, I get it. I guess I don't see the river between that and my tractor.
Speaker 14: Well, tractors, you also need to get insurance on a tractor if you're going to get it off of your land.
Speaker 4: Well, you've never told me that.
Speaker 13: Okay, this is thirty thousand dollars tractor and I don't have coverage on it.
Speaker 4: You're telling me.
Speaker 14: You got to actually schedule a tractor. Yes, you got to cover a tractor.
Speaker 13: Well, Lord, have mercy Tom write this down. I am officially mad at Brian.
Speaker 14: I'm actually excited. This is one more thing I get to add on a on the mark's insurance.
Speaker 8: Well, sorry about how about a four wheeler, Brian? Same thing, same thing you can't cover. No, you can cover. There's policies for a four.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you can't get it as personal property.
Speaker 8: It's not personal property.
Speaker 14: No, your EV bike is a bike is the one that's right in that middle. Because it's if you think about a regular bike that you have that would be covered as personal property on your policy. The EV has complicated it because there is some language and policies that would exclude it because it's a motor vehicle. A lot of them still are saying no, this is still considered a.
Speaker 8: Bike all right.
Speaker 4: By the way, Dan McKenzie is a state planning attorney. He can do very creative things to move your assets through your state, including LLCs. He can do trust, he can do, of course, wills. Anything that you need. Dan McKenzie can attend to McKenzie Law. We love having him here as our expert for estate planning. Eight three three co plans eight three three co plans. Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Okay, so let's keep going here and let's see who's okay, day Uh wait, yeah, I have Tim. The wait didn't we take tim? I mean we we handled the dirt bike thing. Wait what is your question actually you had about yourself. You got the dirt bike back, So what is your actual question?
Speaker 10: Well, since the homeowners were uncoverage, I didn't have actual insurance, am I is it possible to see the parents for allions for damages?
Speaker 4: Well? Yes, how hold on? Hold on? How old is the kid? Fifteen? Brian. We go around a round about this about parents and the responsibility. John John Fuller said parents can be liable for minor children.
Speaker 13: The younger the better. But I don't know, Mark, you said, hell, yes, what are you thinking? Oh my god? He said that kid damaged the bike. I don't know what he means by that, but if it needs new parts, absolutely, the kids stole it, he wrecked it. His parents will be held responsible through a judge.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, all day long. I want to get look at it. I'm not doubt I'm not doubting it. I want to get John Fuller's take on it. I just want to ask him a couple of questions about it. He knows about liability and all that. I just want to ask him some questions.
Speaker 13: He might be able to help with the James too, if we get to James.
Speaker 4: So let's get him on there. Let's get him and I'm going to go to Dale then because we're gonna wait for John. He has a question about a roofing company. Hey, Dale, what's happening? What's going on?
Speaker 19: Okay, Ba's when we had the big storms. I think it was in twenty two, it might have been twenty three. It was twenty three, I believe in June of twenty three in the south end of town. We had a roofing company that we've used in the past, supposed to do roofing and painting, and they've done a great job. They've always done excellent, excellent work, and they did excellent work this time. But with all the debacles between supply chains and everything, it took a year to get everything completed. So we got the roof paid for and done and all the other exterior work, and then when it came down to get the paint done, we've never seen the bill for the paint. We didn't get an estimate for the paint itself, and he's never sent us a bill. And I've contacted him three or four times to say, hey, what do we wait a minute?
Speaker 4: So he's never collect but he did the paint, right, he.
Speaker 19: Had the paint done, yeah yeah, okay, but he never so what do we owe you for the paint? And he just he won't get back to me on it, like.
Speaker 4: It's well, why do you care? Then, I'm serious, why do you care?
Speaker 19: I just I just don't want to end up in a situation And he tries to say, hey, you know, I'm going to send you to collections over there.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, first of all, he's going to lose it. He's hold on, hold on, He's going to lose his right. He already lost his right to lean your house. I'm not suggesting you don't pay him. I'm suggesting that until he bills you, you don't pay him.
Speaker 19: Okay, yeah, I mean, I mean I'm fine with that. I just don't want to get into a situation where I'm in trouble over That's why I wanted to know where are we?
Speaker 4: I mean, how what's going through your mind? Like how could you be in trouble?
Speaker 19: Well, I just you know, I don't want him to try to put a lean on the house or send us to collections or anything like that.
Speaker 4: But how can he if how can if he never asked for payment?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I get it, I definitely understand.
Speaker 8: That's I just want to make sure I'm on.
Speaker 19: The right page.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's I mean, you're you're a really nice guy. But when was the last time he contacted him?
Speaker 19: I haven't been in contact with him probably for two months now.
Speaker 4: And when you do, does he say he's going to send you a bill?
Speaker 19: He just says he'll get back to me and let me know what's going on. And so, you know, I asked him, was there was there any other things that needed to be done, because the insurance had kind of put a few things on this bill, and I wanted to make sure that, you know, it wasn't already done or if it was, or did we need to still have some work done or whatever it is. And he said not, I think everything's complete as far as I'm knowing.
Speaker 11: He goes, I'll check out.
Speaker 19: Everything and I'll get back to you. And I mean, it's it's been over three months since they painted the house.
Speaker 4: Oh so it's only been three months. It hasn't been you said it was back in twenty Okay.
Speaker 19: Yeah, that's when the damage originally occurred.
Speaker 4: Well, then if he if he completed it, he has four months to lean after the work. But you haven't refused to pay. Look, I would just sit back and wait. What the hell's the difference you get? You'll you'll always have the money to pay him?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 19: Well, well, I mean did you get paid?
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, let me let me ask you this. No, wait, wait, wait wait bro, you got insurance money? Is that right?
Speaker 19: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes, we got to check for the.
Speaker 4: Insurance and so far you only paid for the roof. How much do you have left from the insurance payment?
Speaker 19: We have about ten brands.
Speaker 4: You have ten thousand dollars left above and beyond what he.
Speaker 19: Did well without without I mean that's that doesn't include the paint. I mean that this particular I didn't ask.
Speaker 4: Here's what I asked, al. I asked how much you paid out? And you said you have ten grand left? Is that right at this time?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 4: How much do you think when you say paint? Was the whole house painted? Yes?
Speaker 19: Well, for goodness done important to the insurance.
Speaker 13: Well he's trying to get paid though. Those guy's not doing anything wrong, of course he's not.
Speaker 4: But what I'm saying, is is why I can't believe that the contractor won't doesn't want to be paid for the whole house. How much do you think that's going to cost that whole house job of extra.
Speaker 19: I don't have any earth of the idea.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's how big is your house?
Speaker 19: Out on the backside?
Speaker 4: Well, you mean you didn't have a bid, You got an insurance checked, you didn't get a bid for it.
Speaker 19: We didn't get an actual bid for just the paint.
Speaker 4: You got a bid for the whole Wait? Wait, Dale, Wait, did you get a bid for the whole thing?
Speaker 19: I don't remember the paint being in there, because he was trying to do with one thing at a time, because he subcontracted paint out.
Speaker 4: Do you have a copy of the contract?
Speaker 19: I do have a copy of the contract for the roof and the screens and the gutters and all that.
Speaker 4: Yet, but the paint is absolutely not on there.
Speaker 19: It's done, not that I've seen.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 13: Okay, Well, I wonder if he did some kind of supplemental and actually got paid on it. Is that a possibility it could be.
Speaker 19: I mean between pain and insurance, I mean between I'm sorry, between roofs with just the roofing and all of the other exterior issues other than paint. I mean he's been paid like forty three grands.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, but listen, here's the deal. So I would just there's nothing you can do about it if he hasn't built you, but you will be billed. Come on, if he subbed it out, I need to get John Fuller on. We're out of time. I got to take a break. I hope he can hang on. I have a question for him coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now H three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank Durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three O three seven one three talk three O three seven one three eight two five five All right, So I want to talk to John Fuller very quickly. John, this is not about personal injury, but it's about liability. You deal with it all the time. I just want to lay out this scenario. If a kid, fifteen year old kids steals my kid's electric dirt bike or is dirt bike whatever, and he does damage to it, the police retrieved it, the kid is charged, he's fifteen. Can I hold the parents responsible for the damages to the bike?
Speaker 5: You know, probably in a legal sense, but the can is going to be responsible for restitution, which is going to have to be paid through the courts, or you can you know, you can probably file that against your insurance, but I don't know if the parents are going to be legally responsible for paying you off for that damnage.
Speaker 4: All Right, we have more coming up. I'd love to get some more thoughts on that coming up. I'm Tom Martine Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup, free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 5: Y Rip.
Speaker 13: News.
Speaker 1: Need advice so you don't have run into Just as fast as we can, Shooter's gonna help. Come man, This is.
Speaker 8: The Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 4: Now, Tom Martine, Hi, Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. God, what a busy day today on the Troubleshooter Show. Multiple calls and help and information we're helping. We have UH the Insurance Help Center with us. I want to go right to John Fuller because we have a thing that came up we were all curious of. And John the league you know of a personal injury attorney who's always looking for damages and responsibility and liabilities. This is not necessarily personal injury, but it has to do with liability. And you know I, John and I have these conversations a lot about UH people and liability for their kids and people who live with them. In fact, we had one the other day about something I'm doing with my daughter. And also people want to know about their minor kids. So John, what I thought was that, and Mark thought as.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm gonna I'll go beyond that, I know.
Speaker 4: But just let me, let me explain the situation and then you can. Because Mark, Mark thought that the kids, that the parents would be responsible for minor children. And Mark explained the case.
Speaker 13: Well, the case that we're talking about now is a kid willfully steals another kid's dirt bike. When he has it, he causes damage to it and basically the parents see the kid driving it around, they get with the police, The police go over there, they convince and prove to the police it was the stolen bike and it's theirs. The police give them back the bike, but it's got some damage on it. And my contention is quite simple. They can take those parents because it's a fifteen year old, I believe to small all claims court or to court or if the cops actually arrest them, with restitution. But the bottom line is, because it's a minor child, those parents are going to be responsible for the bills. And I'll give one more another analogy. You know, your fifteen year old goes over and spray paints your neighbor's house or toilet papers it or does something that leaves real damage to the paint or something. You are going to be libel as the parents of that minor, no matter what, at least in Colorado.
Speaker 4: Okay, John Fuller, what are your thoughts on that? Well, Mark, what do you say, at least in Colorado? What are you basing that on? Are you looking at a law No.
Speaker 13: I'm basing it on a neighbor whose kid did something and got in trouble and the parents ended up paying, and they didn't want to pay, and it went to court and they ended up paying. Oh wait, you actually know of a case, Yes, in our old cul de sac.
Speaker 8: Yes, I do.
Speaker 4: Okay, John, Hey.
Speaker 5: You know Mark's probably filed more lawsuits than I have over the years, so he listen. I don't know. I can tell you that, you know, we're not generally liable for the acts of another person unless we have some you know, some some responsible relationship over them, and maybe a parent is enough to make me legally responsible. I don't know. I could look that up, but I do know that the kid, if he was charged with taking the motorcycle, that as a crime victim, you're entitled to restitution through the criminal course, and it doesn't matter if he's a juvenile or an adult. The courts are still going to impose a restitution order that makes.
Speaker 4: It right, So it becomes a moot point anyway. I bet, I bet a Lazari's dealt with this time.
Speaker 5: Hey probably has, you know that would be a But I dealt with enough criminal cases to note as well that that restitution order, whether the parents paid or the kid pays it, it's still going to have to be paid before that kid ever gets sought for probation or whatever the need.
Speaker 4: Let me put this another way, John, what if while he's on this stolen electric bike he hits someone and they there, and they come to you with five hundred thousand dollars in pain and suffering and medical bills and all that. You damn sure well would go after the parents.
Speaker 5: I sure would, And I would do it under some theory against their homeowners policy or perhaps their their auto policy. But it wouldn't be their personal responsibility. It would still and and Tom, I could be wrong on this, don't I haven't done this in forever, but it would be a theory of either if it was against the parents, it would be some sort of negligent entrustment. I mean, you can't make the parents liable for something unless they're actually negligent of doing something. Maybe there's some contract deal that makes them just have to I'm not familiar with it, but.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm I'm looking it up here and it says this criminal responsibility. Parents are not generally criminal libel unless they contribute to it, as we've seen in the school shootings. Okay, a civil liability parental responsibility law, it's what it's called. And they can be held for civil liability for any kids under eighteen the result or injury of damage excuse me, that result in injury or damage property damage. This is typically limited to a certain amount of financial damages, which is capped under state oh state law is at thirty five hundred, capped at thirty five hundred.
Speaker 5: Got of Colorado's at some AI, General.
Speaker 4: Colorado's no, No, it's my girlfriend AI And it says Colorado's parental responsibility law. Again, John, you're well to point that out because my girlfriend has been irresponsible at times. This is typically limited to I never heard of that thirty five hundred dollars limit, but say that, but you.
Speaker 5: Know that, Yeah, that just doesn't seem based in anything that makes sense. And again I'm got the expert on that. I don't really handle a lot of you know, juvenile cases, but if I had one, I'm sure i've you're bonn up on it and the uh be able to go to town. But again, you know, my, my, my challenge all the time on civil cases is getting coverage. You know, because nobody has five hundred thousand dollars laying around. We're looking for insurance coverage that's going to provide a source of revenue to help my clients recover for their damages. And so that's always a challenge, and that is a little bit different of an analysis than just simply whether or not the parents are on the because.
Speaker 4: I did I did look up the CRS. Though now I did look up the CRS. This is the actual CRS is thirteen twenty one, one oh seven, and it does say that any person entitled to recover damages in the amount that exceed three thousand and five hundred in a court of competent jurisdiction from the parents of a minor under eighteen years old living with such parents who know only called the blah blah blah blah blah is used the recovery shell be actual damages. Uh, and not to exceed three thousand and five hundred. I don't I don't get it. So Hey, on that same mark three thousand and five hundred, it says, is the limit to civil damages for a minor?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 13: But the on that same kind of thread, John, if someone if a fifteen year old took their parents' car for a joy ride and ended up hurting somebody, they the parents' insurance would cover whatever if they had insurance correct the liability.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Brian, Brian should weigh in on that.
Speaker 14: To be permissive use? So yeah, I mean, I I've had this conversation and sorry, John, you're the expert on this, but I have had conversations with clients that are sitting there saying no, I did not give my kid permission to take my car, and said, for insurance purposes, you sure better hope you did, because that's permissive use.
Speaker 4: Oh so if you gave permission, even if they're unlicensed, they're covered.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but who would give their fifteen year old permission to go driving?
Speaker 4: Well, what Brian is saying is is for use for coverage. Maybe you'll never be insured again, but if you want this covered, you better have given permission.
Speaker 9: So here's an interesting thing, Tom.
Speaker 5: If you look at that statue, the first section of it deals with a kid who maliciously or willfully danities or destroyed property.
Speaker 11: That's intentional, yeah.
Speaker 8: Or steals it.
Speaker 5: That's not negligence. Okay, that's intentionally. So maybe with the motorcycle, yeah you can recover. But now the causing of an accident, that's very likely not to be considered an intentional act. Rather, it's more likely to be considered a negligent act. The next section deals with knowingly causing hodily injury, and I think we'd have to really get into the court you know, definition knowingly because it kind of impliedly still comes down on the side of an intentional act, which is by definition not negligence and not covered by any policy that you're esteemed guest Brian over there rights. So that gets back to the whole permissive use thing. He's if he's a permissive user, which you might say, why the hell would we ever do that and give our kid permission? But you know, maybe that's not a terrible thing because you want to have that insurance coverage against an accident and it's considered negligence. You want that kid to be covered so that it's not coming out of your own personal resources.
Speaker 4: Now, while you're on John, listen to James, James, I'm not sure if this involves personal injury. Does your car accident involve personal injury? James, No, it doesn't. Okay, maybe, okay, go ahead. What is it?
Speaker 18: Well, it's a pretty simple case. I was driving out of my parking lot and a guy backs up in front of me and hits right front of my car, in the side of the car. My insurance company. I called my insurance company. He called his insurance company. He admitted claim to me. He admitted liability for the accident because he didn't look moving back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 18: I called I didn't just rely you.
Speaker 4: Were both Were you both moving at the time? Yes, Okay, Okay, got it. It's going to be fifty to fifty. But let me explain something to you. And this is something I need to explain because it happens all the time. Brian Brian burns us with us with Compass Insurance Group. People say he admitted liability. Once you talk to your insurance company. Heber sends that I'll guarantee you his insurance will say he didn't admit responsibility.
Speaker 8: Right, oh man.
Speaker 14: The story that happens at the scene of the accident changes so frequently right after the act.
Speaker 4: He didn't create a contract or liability by saying that to you, right r. Nor does he know the actual law. So so here's what I'm getting at. It doesn't matter what he told you at the scene, Okay, it's what can be proven. So tell me where it stands right now.
Speaker 18: Well, they want me to give them a verbal statement, and I was reluctant to do that without some kind of advice.
Speaker 4: Well, what do you mean, what kind of statement?
Speaker 18: Caliphonic?
Speaker 7: Lay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's what they're going to try to do. And I think we let John go, didn't we and if we did, if we didn't it? Okay, here's what is going to happen. They're going to try to trick you into either comparative negligence, meaning they're going to ask you questions like could you have prevented it had you seen it sooner? Or could They're going to ask questions in such a way that they're going to turn down the claim or they're going to do as Mark mentioned, fifty to fifty or sixty forty or whatever it's You know, you don't have to talk to them. You understand that, right?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 18: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: Well, what tell me what would require you to talk to the other insurance? What would require it?
Speaker 13: Well, he just wants to get paid.
Speaker 4: Do you have a do you have a contract claim? Do you have a contract with them?
Speaker 20: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not required to talk to them at all. He's required to talk to them. They're not required. You're not required to talk to him at all. They can look at it. Did you have a police report or not? Because it's private, they wouldn't do it.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: Okay, Now here's the deal. You can sue him for the damage directly. If he's admitting fault, then it won't matter. You'll get a judgment and then he'll just have to get his insurance to pay. Brian chime in on this if you want. But I don't see why he has to talk to them.
Speaker 14: Well, no, other than to Mark's point, he's trying to get paid. He doesn't talk to him, they're not going to pay him.
Speaker 4: But there, but hold on, Well, guess what they may not pay him, but why wouldn't they?
Speaker 14: Well, because are we still saying that this driver is admitting fault. I understand he said he did it at the scene. Is that his story still?
Speaker 18: I haven't talked to him.
Speaker 8: I will put money down that his story has changed.
Speaker 20: Now.
Speaker 18: I went to my insurance company and they totaled my car. They say, First of all, they said, I can either go with his insurance company, just deal with them, or I can deal with my insurance company and use my deductible or whatever. Yep, they totaled my car after they visually assessed it.
Speaker 4: And so what's the point. What is the point? What do you need from us right now? What kind of help?
Speaker 18: Well, one thing is understanding how the the totaling process were.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a whole different topic. Hold on, we'll come right back to you. I'm Tom Martino. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Go with a sure thing Denvers Best Roofer, Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out Now three oh three seven seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino here three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. So we have a question on a car accident. But James, here's the deal. Now you're facing a whole different dilemma. You want to know how the totaling process works. Okay, here's how it works. When they feel like it's cheaper for them to fix your car. I mean to fix your car. They're going to fix it or to total it. They're going to total it. They just do it, okay. And all they have to do, you don't have a choice. They just have to put you in a better position or the same position you were in before the accident. So normally what happens is and I know what's happening here. You don't agree with what they're valueing your car at Is that true? Is that true? That's what it is?
Speaker 21: Right?
Speaker 18: I don't know yet, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: They're not going to give you what you think it's worth.
Speaker 13: They never do, never, no, but they never give you if you if you follow our advice, they will give you what it is worth.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Mark, I'm continue continue.
Speaker 13: It's simple as that. We have a company called Petty Details on our referral list. So go to referral list that time, start typing in Petty. He will give you an honest number of what that vehicle's worth, and they will give you that much. If they won't give you that much, you can hire Petty Details or other companies to actually invoke something in your policy that basically creates an arbitration and they're gonna come up with that number and he'll do all the legwork behind the scenes to get that done.
Speaker 4: But well, that's hold on. You invoke you can only do you have the appraisal process. You can only invoke that with your own company, not with the other party.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, okay, that's that's you. That's absolutely true. That's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: So so if it's the other party, you would have to sue that other party directly, not their insurance.
Speaker 8: That's true.
Speaker 13: Well, let me ask you this. Do you have full coverage on the vehicle? Yes, Well, then you could go through your own company and not even worry about this.
Speaker 18: No, just for a second, when you say full coverage, I have a thousand dollars deductible.
Speaker 13: Well you could still go through your own and then sue them for the thousand dollars deductible, or your own insurance company will will subrogate or not suburgate, but they'll go after the other insurance company for your thousand dollars back.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, subrogate's the right term for that. Okay, the first dollar they get back goes to your deductible, just so you know that's how it works.
Speaker 13: Yeah, so they will, they'll subrogate for that money and then ultimately make you whole.
Speaker 8: That's why you want.
Speaker 13: If the other company is not paying you what the vehicle's worth, but you got to figure out truly what it's worth, then go through your own company and then you can go into that appraisal clause I brought up at the beginning.
Speaker 4: Brian, if he goes through his own company, can he go directly after that other guy and sue for the thousand dollars deducted world? Does he have to wait for his company to subrogate?
Speaker 14: Well, no, I believe and that would be a John Fuller question more than me. But I believe he can sue them directly. But if they're going to subrogate, then he'll get that money back. In other words, like I said, first dollar back, he'll get. But I I'm based off of the conversation or the story behind it, I don't see him getting anything back for subrogation. I see this being a fifty to fifty. His insurance will pay his and the other why because it's on private property. Unless the guy continues to say he's at fault. But if I heard that correctly, that both were moving, so the assurance companies will just throw up their hands.
Speaker 8: Hey, James, is fifty to fifty.
Speaker 4: James, is the guy still claiming uh fault?
Speaker 18: I don't know.
Speaker 13: But even if he is claiming still fault, that I'm just arguing, that doesn't even really matter. That guy might be at fault, but that doesn't mean he is at fault, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true, that's true, James. I hope, I hope we gave you enough information. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five Joe, Yeah, Joe, what is going on? You called last week? Let me let me bring up your call. And wasn't it about landscaping or something?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was. Uh, you bought your home in Loveland. People built a home on the lot next to you, and and you started having water problems. They built a retaining wall between the properties. Now your property is flooding, and uh what happened?
Speaker 21: Well, so yeah, that was the issue. And then Bob from La M Landscaping came up.
Speaker 4: That's right, he was going to he was going to look at it to see what the issue was because I said if they changed the drainage, they could be responsible to you. Go ahead. What happened?
Speaker 18: Correct?
Speaker 21: So Bob came up and looked everything over and his in agreeance of everything we have said. And he's basically saying the house itself is the issue. But he did go through all of the landscaping. And is Bob on the phone because.
Speaker 4: He can get no, he's wait, wait were we supposed to get him? I'm sorry, now, what did you? Can you can tell us what he said? Did he say it? Did he say it could be fixed the drainage?
Speaker 21: Yeah he can. He said he could fix it, but do not the people next door? Awkward to put a French strain in he says, a French train is not going to fix the issue. It's more complicated than that.
Speaker 4: What did he say it would include? Do you remember he's probably listening, and I'm sorry we didn't get him on while you were waiting. But what did he basically say from what you can remember, that he needed to do.
Speaker 21: Basically, it's going to be totally regrading our whole lot on the side, bringing in dirt, doing a swell in their backyard which is supposed to be there anyways. It's going to be a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Because what he did he give you a price.
Speaker 21: He did not give me a price, but he said he would work with me no matter what on this issue.
Speaker 4: Okay, and so he didn't give you any idea. Do you know if they'll help pay?
Speaker 21: Well, that's what he's saying, and we're saying it should be the neighbor's responsibility, uh, the engineer who signed off on it all. They should be compensating us for all the damage we've incurred.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's nice. However, he's not an attorney. We don't know about that yet, but we do know that it wasn't like that before they built. What were you going to say, Mark, sorry, did they pull a permit? Was the county involved?
Speaker 21: The City of Love?
Speaker 8: Oh, you're going to.
Speaker 4: Have a hell of a time if this was signed off by.
Speaker 13: People that how would they possibly go after the neighbor or go after the engineer when when the city actually signed off on it substance over form.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's been a long drawn out We've been dealing with us for a year over a year now and the city is taken out no responsibility, even though they did. We have talked to the engineer company and they are going to come out on Thursday and two elevations all over our property and the other property, and they're offering the fix. So we are getting somewhere we.
Speaker 4: Do well instead of their fix, just tell them you want your fix exactly.
Speaker 21: We have to file a suit too, because we're already in you know, a lot of attorney fees already, which our attorney hasn't done a whole lot.
Speaker 4: Wait wait, wait, how much are you into fees right now?
Speaker 21: Nine attorney fees?
Speaker 4: And how much do you think the fix would be? Bob didn't tell her.
Speaker 21: He didn't say, but.
Speaker 8: Well, I think Bob would have I listen.
Speaker 13: I like Bob, but it sounds like an engineer asked to get out there and get this thing handled.
Speaker 21: Yeah, they're coming out, they're coming back out. But here's a deal. I mean, we have to file a suit now, which we've contacted our attorney.
Speaker 13: Wait a second, Wait a second. If the engineer company that is coming out and they want to fix it, and long as everybody signs off on it, why wouldn't you just do that?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Why do you need a suit? A lawsuit?
Speaker 21: Because we can't repay or recoup our attorney sees without a suit.
Speaker 4: Now, hold on, hold on, hold on, you might do you understand Wait a minute, Wait a minute, do you understand that to try to go after attorney fees will incur new attorneys fees? Right?
Speaker 18: Correct?
Speaker 4: So what makes you think you're gonna get attorney fees? That this is not a statute that pays attorney s fee. I think you're getting bad advice from whatever attorney. I think you're getting bad advice too, that's my opinion, Joe. What makes you think you'll get attorney fees?
Speaker 21: I'm not saying we're getting attorney sees, but it would be nice to get attorney sees.
Speaker 4: But you're going to spend another nine to ten thousand. Define hold on, you're going to spend another nine to ten to see if you do get them.
Speaker 8: First of all, I would argue with that.
Speaker 13: I mean this, they're going to have to depose all these original engineers. This thing could be forty fifty thousand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Joe, I would forget you know. First of all, I think you prematurely spent attorneys fees and they overcharged you. So I don't think you're gonna get attorney's fees. That's my humble. I think you ought to try to get them to fix it or to pay for the fix, and you ought to get a You ought to get an engineer to back up what Bob is saying. Maybe he knows of some. I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming right up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three all three seven to seven to one.
Speaker 8: Help.
Speaker 4: You'll think you're his only customer. When you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Wow. Busy day, Keith. What's going on with you? Keith?
Speaker 22: Well, first of all, I want to thank you in the past for saving me a lot of money and helping me get out of timeshare.
Speaker 4: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 18: Yeah, save me a great deal.
Speaker 22: Now, I'm seventy five years old. I don't have a computer. I'm still trying to learn how to use a smartphone. So that's kind of my background. I rented a car. I'm not positive about the dates to visit my brother in Florida in March. They tacked on what they call a thrifty toll. I told them I didn't want that.
Speaker 5: They said, what is that?
Speaker 4: What is it? What is it?
Speaker 5: What it is is?
Speaker 22: They tack eleven eighty eight on?
Speaker 4: And then what that does?
Speaker 22: It gives you a discount to go through all the toll roads.
Speaker 4: Oh, I get it.
Speaker 18: Words you pay up front and there I get.
Speaker 4: A lot of them down there. Boy, where are you by the way, where are you going? Is this Florida?
Speaker 22: Yeah, I'm not there. I was down there in March to see my brother, and then the car broke down after the second day, and then it took me two days to get a new car, and then they charged me double and they wouldn't so I couldn't get that off my card through thrifty.
Speaker 9: And here again, what.
Speaker 4: Were you trying to get off your card just one day?
Speaker 22: There was two days. I rented the car for a week, and there's two days I couldn't use it. And then they charged me extra for a new car that worked. So I gave up on trying to get that off. That was a year ago. But now I see on my Discovery card by accident, thrifty toll is charging me a reoccurring charge of eleven eighty eight. And when I try to call their customer service or try to get hold of them, they put me in a phone maze and I wind up going back to the first number.
Speaker 18: I went one, two, three.
Speaker 22: Four or five, Okay, I went Keith seven phone mazes to get right back Keith.
Speaker 4: I can identify with that frustration. I can One time I had to actually literally nix my card I did. Recurring charges are almost impossible to get rid of. Your credit card company will not get rid of them. They will not do it unless you instituted the charge on your online portal, which you don't have. No, they won't get rid of it. They won't get rid of it. So I'm gonna I'm gonna be look at. I know you'd like to hear something different, but I'm going to tell you the truth instead of just trying to make you happy. The truth is, you have to can you have to cancel the credit card.
Speaker 7: I did an hour ago.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, get a new card and forget it.
Speaker 13: Oh you should also tell that bank you want it. Sounds like they've charged you about one hundred and twenty bucks over a year, right, Yeah, you should be able to get at least three or four months of that back, or you can sue drifty car.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 22: Yeah, like I said at my age, it's almost not worth a hassle. That's why I got rid of the timeshare. Now when I called Discover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you are pretty damn you know I was.
Speaker 8: You took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 4: My goodness, he's an old fart man man I can't believe that. I can't believe that a seventy five year old actually could find my number and call me. Benson Hurst four four seven. Please Keith, Keith, you're old enough to be my friend.
Speaker 18: Bro.
Speaker 4: We're four years apart, so stop.
Speaker 8: Hey, hey, don't lie three years.
Speaker 4: Wait, I'm seventy one. What No, you're seventy two. I'm seventy one, seventy two. I just turned seventy one, so thank you. But anyway, what is your What year were you born June nineteen fifty Yeah, and I was born in fifty three. So listen, you are you are, You're doing the right thing. You're on the right track, by the way, with your credit card, you are. But Keith, get a computer.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm trying to discover.
Speaker 4: Said what discover? Said what they said?
Speaker 22: Even if they said they're sorry to lose my business, they gave me a better They gave me two percent. I would get two percent back on all my purchases if I didn't cancel my card. They'd lower my interest rate, which I don't where because.
Speaker 4: I hold on, hold on, hold on? Did you tell them hold on? Did you tell them you would keep the account if they would stop that charge.
Speaker 22: They said, they know they want because ongoing things, ongoing things. They couldn't promise me that.
Speaker 4: You're right, block it, you're right, and even and by the way, by the way, just so you know, even if even if you get some kind of a new card with them, they can go after your new card. So don't do it. We got to take this break. We got more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance Paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three all three seven one three talk three oll three seven one three eight two five five Okay, So what's going on in your life? And how can we help you? My goodness, gracious, So we've cleared the calls, we've had a ton of calls. If you need to get through, give us a call. But I do have a ton of questions for Brian. People with condos and town homes are going nuts. One says they have no insurance for roofing. What do they do? Can they get on a condo their pro rat ashore share of roofing insurance in a policy like a homeowner's policy? Brian? Can they do that? Sir?
Speaker 14: Most of the people that have lost roof coverage or where the HOA is basic. We just said they're not going to have insurance for the property itself. There's a letter that goes out and informs them they need to get what's called an HO three policy. You know, a condo policy is inn HO six, which means it is just covering the walls in basically is what a co.
Speaker 4: Can they buy? If you have a condo and the condo place has no roof insurance, will they be covered for their own portion?
Speaker 14: Well, it's going to fall again. If it's truly a condo where you have people above and below you, then you can't get an HO three. So in those cases you can get Here's the problem, and this is horrible advice for you. But the fact of the matter is you have to read your policy. You can get on an HO six policy, you can get dwelling coverage. Now usually dwelling coverage is just going to cover the interior of the unit, but there are policies that will extend to what you're responsible for, meaning the exterior or the roof in that case. So there are policies you can get.
Speaker 4: Here's the short answer. Call you guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this series it gets too complicated.
Speaker 4: Are you facing a lot of this lately?
Speaker 15: Time?
Speaker 8: I even have an example of someone that's called today.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to go over that. Three oh three nine nine six nine thousand is a Compass insurance. We are three oh three Martino coming back with you right after this. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer. When you choose Frank durand the Real Estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Two new you come running just as.
Speaker 8: Fast as we can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help come Man.
Speaker 3: Dix is the Troubleshooter Show. Now, Tom Martine.
Speaker 4: Hello, Tom here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three Talk seven one three eight two five five. I don't know why it says standby for the troubleshoot there. I am okay. Anyway, We are here to help you, solve your problems, answer your questions, take your complaints, make your life just a little easier. All you have to do is tune in and call three oh three seven one three talk or call three oh three Martino three oh three six two seven eight four sixty six. Let's talk and see what's on your mind. And we have Chris who wants to talk about shipping a tractor, and uh, go ahead, Chris, what's going on?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm looking to get a tractor hauled from Little Tin down to Alamosa.
Speaker 7: And I'm wondering if you guys have any shipping company.
Speaker 4: For that kind, for that kind. I don't.
Speaker 13: Actually, I think we had a call similar to this recently I would call up Potestio Brothers and Parker or one of their locations and ask them who they use for shipping.
Speaker 4: They ship tractors all over the country. That was yeah, they man, have they been around a long time and they've got locations everywhere.
Speaker 13: I happen to have to go pick up a part at one they open one out in Elizabeth.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, there's all kinds of tractor dealers. Potestio is the big one around here, and they can help you, probably by referring someone to you. Yeah.
Speaker 8: They literally ship everywhere.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great idea. You guys do. All right, Thank you, Chris, appreciate you calling three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Ricky, what's going on? Ricky? Ricky?
Speaker 9: Hi Tom.
Speaker 23: I just wanted to call in and give K and H windows props up and to their salesman, Todd Keefer, I bought five windows from this morning.
Speaker 8: Great guys.
Speaker 5: I bought a bay window.
Speaker 18: A while back from I just wanted to give it Todd up.
Speaker 4: Hey, I really you know what, I really appreciate that because K and H. Here's something amazing about K and H Home Solutions. Okay, they've been around sixty five years with three owners. And you know what's great about that. When Henry sold to Bernie who I knew, and Ted I've known him for years. They they and Larry was there for a while. They did a great job, and then they sold to Lee Diamond. He's doing a great job. They keep that tradition going. So they also have that beautiful siding and everything. I know a lot of love hearing this.
Speaker 13: A lot of the employees, I don't mean from sixty five years ago, but from the last few years where they sold, they're all still there.
Speaker 4: It's still the same core people, just like the ownership, I know it.
Speaker 18: Uh.
Speaker 4: And for those listening, if your if you're looking for siding or windows or doors or whatever, they do, they do it all. Okay, it's K and H Home Solutions and it's three O three four to one seventy one hundred, uh, three oh three four to one seventy one hundred Cage Windows dot com. And I appreciate you doing taking the time to do that. Mark.
Speaker 13: I want to ask Brian something, Brian, this hurricane is going to be massive in Florida. And I know you guys don't sell in Florida, but let's just pretend we're all sitting in Florida. The difference the flood insurance that people that do have it generally coming from FEMA. My understanding is the maximum they'll get is two hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 4: So tell me if I'm correct.
Speaker 13: If your house is flooded forget wind damage other stuff, but flooded, the most they would get is two hundred and fifty if they just had the government backed FEMA insurance. But if the wind came through and like bleue the off and stuff, then their regular homeowners would step in for that coverage as long as it's not.
Speaker 8: Uh to do with flood. Is that how it works?
Speaker 14: Yep, exactly. So those are two different perils. So the peril of wind would be covered underneath the home owner policy, you know, with whatever appropriate deductible they have, But yes, the actual flood would be handled through FEMA. There are private insurers, at least here in Colorado. I can't speak to Florida if they don't offer it there or something, but that you can get higher limits than that two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 13: What's amazing to me is there's going to be a lot of homes that only have coverage for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars with flood and let's say they've got a five foot flood certificate and they're looking at fifteen feet of water coming in. I mean literally, that will wipe their house away with water. And if it's a million dollar, two million, three million dollar house in Tampa, my god. I mean, I'm not saying those would be swept away, because hopefully they have been built recently to where they're supposed to withstand quite a bit. But I don't know of anything that's got a five year flood certificate or a five foot with fifteen feet of water. I mean literally, it could wipe it away, and all they have is two hundred and fifty thousand dollars to deal with it well.
Speaker 14: And you know, FEMA's the policy with FEMA is also very limited and what it covers, and so you know, like FEMA doesn't the FEMA policy doesn't cover loss of use, so you have to live somewhere else. They're not going to pay for that. You know, there's like a lot of limitations dealing with the basement, like it's below grade. Now, that's not an issue there, I understand, but there's all sorts of limitations to a flood policy.
Speaker 13: Now, let me ask you this one in California where they're having these mud slides and landslides, and you'll see an entire house literally just go off into the ocean.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm referring to.
Speaker 13: So I understand the house is gone, and I assume they have coverage for the house, But the land's gone. That land that was right on the ocean is now in the ocean. You don't get anything for that, right, I mean, it's just simply gone.
Speaker 14: Yeah, there's no coverage for land on an insurance policy. It's you know, that's one of the first exclusions on any home owner policy as the land itself.
Speaker 13: So some of these smaller islands, it maybe I mean it truly, an entire island could be wiped out with something like this. There might not even be a place for people to rebuild, nor a way.
Speaker 4: That they could have started way waymark, are they saying it's gonna be that this is gonna be to.
Speaker 13: I have a feeling this is gonna be worse than Katrina. And let's all remember Katrina. The reason is Chopper actually put it to the beginning of the show. When we were talking, it was in a toilet bowl. And the reason it got so bad is when the levees broke the entire town is it's below sea level. Now Florida where it's hitting is not below sea level, but they're talking fifteen feet of water hitting Tampa. I mean, this thing is going to be devastating. People are going to be dead left and right. I have no idea how long it's going to be for power and internet in everything like that. My parents that are in Leesburg, which is basically south I think southwest of Orlando, they actually have hurricane warnings in the middle of the state. Tom It's absolutely insane right now, and trying to get out of there looks like an absolute nightmare.
Speaker 8: Everything.
Speaker 4: Well, what are your parents going to do?
Speaker 13: Well, they don't have any kind of evacuation orders, so they're just sitting there. God, it's amazing, man, I mean it's absolutely amazing. I think this is going.
Speaker 1: To be.
Speaker 8: I don't know about death toll.
Speaker 13: I think over the years, hopefully people get smart and when the officials say get the hell out, they get output. For some reason, people don't. But I think this could be as far as dollars, just absolutely devastating, devastating. I think a lot of people are gonna lose everything everything.
Speaker 4: I saw people today leaving saying goodbye to their home, knowing it's not going to be there. When you see the satellite pictures, God, it looks like a freaking science fiction movie.
Speaker 13: And it just went back. One of the things we were talking about off air with John Fuller. Folks listening out there, picture this. Remember this area just got nailed by a hurricane a couple weeks ago. When you get hit and saltwater gets into your house on these coastal communities, everything's got to come out of your house. Once saltwater's in your couch, your carpet, everything comes out, your TVs, everything goes in front of your house, and eventually you take some pictures for insurance and the dump trucks come around and they grab everything. The problem is all of that stuff is still sitting in front of the home homes. So when this new storm comes through in about thirty six hours with one hundred and fifty one hundred and twenty five mile hour winds, it's going to be picking up couches, televisions, all these trash, all this trash that's been put out front from the last hurricane is going to be thrown around like nobody's business. So you might not get flooded, but you might have a couch come through the side of your house. Bad stuff, man, really bad stuff. So what are your parents doing?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 13: Once again, they're very inland I mean or no. But are they upset. No, they're not upset. They did look up different places to go. So in their town of Leesburg, there's three high schools I think they told me I forget, but all of them are set up with generators in case of powers gone for a while, and water, hopefully enough water to where if you if you have no electricity you can at least go down there cool off in the next couple weeks, get some food stuff like that. So, I mean, there's a lot of shelters already set up ready to go with generators and everything.
Speaker 4: All right, Brian, I have some insurance stuff coming up right after this again from condo and townhome owners.
Speaker 13: Oh hold on, let me let me even bring that conversation real quick with Brian into that. I mean, these people that have condos that are in a place like this in Florida. I mean, how does that work? Their possessions are covered by everything what is it, Brian? Everything inside of the dry wall if you will, or inside of the walls your own insurance covers.
Speaker 4: Oh you're talking about for hurricanes?
Speaker 13: Yeah, but how does that work? I mean, you know, let's face it, Tampa, Jacksonville, these places have absolutely gorgeous You can find a one two million dollar on the ocean town or a condo people own.
Speaker 4: What happens to.
Speaker 14: Those well, again, if you're talking about for their personal property or their drywall inside, it depends on what that hoa you know, regulation or documents say of who's responsible for what. But if you want it to be covered for flood, you've got to get flood insurance for that as well. They do offer flood insurance for condos for ho sixes.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 14: And so if the damage is caused by the flood, then you would have an exclusion there. If it's caused by the hurricane, then you have your guess.
Speaker 4: I'm going more to this question. I didn't phrase that right.
Speaker 13: They had one where the pool deck collapsed in Florida a couple of years ago, was horrible. A bunch of people died. It was a big condo, and they ended up shutting the whole thing down. In other words, they totaled it. There wasn't enough insurance to fix it. And then if if a big condo is hit so hard with this storm to where it's unlivable anymore, what does someone get that live there? I mean, okay, you get your contents, but it might to cost you a million bucks for the condo that you can't move back into.
Speaker 8: There is no coverage for that, is there?
Speaker 14: Well, I mean the HOA should have a policy for the for the actual exterior that and that would go to each of the members of each of the unit owners.
Speaker 13: Well, that's great if they could actually rebuild it, I guess if they had enough money.
Speaker 14: Well, but if they can't rebuild it, let's say it's not even possible to rebuild, there's gonna be a settlement of some kind, whether it be a cash out offer. But you're right, they're gonna lose money out of that. I totally agree.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well you always, you always lose equity and a casualty loss always because equity cannot be insured, and that's what happened with the fires. You will lose your equity even if you're adequately insured, because they do not base it on appraised value. They base it on replacement costs.
Speaker 14: Right, So the only reason you wouldn't is if you rebuild and the value is still there, give it. Value of the house is higher than what the rebuild cost was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's almost impossible. No, you're right, I'm Tom Martino. We have more coming up. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, your troubleshooter three oh three seven to one three talk three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Brian Burns is with us from Compass Insurance Group. We're getting a lot of a lot of questions really, and so the main questions we're getting about condos and town homes. So what they're saying is are you finding that more and more town homes or condos? The calls you're getting from people is it because they can't get insurance at all, or they're ridiculous deductibles or actual cash value? And it's mainly roof we're talking about with condos, right, is that the main issue right now?
Speaker 14: Yeah, unless it's in a fire risk area, then it's the entire you know thing is difficult to find insurance on.
Speaker 4: But yes, it's more than homes.
Speaker 8: Well, so because it's just a big exposure there, you know.
Speaker 14: And yeah, yeah right, yeah, yeah, yeah, So yeah we hear from me because that's.
Speaker 4: Like one insured, that's like one company having the entire neighborhood.
Speaker 14: One hailstorm destroys it, all right, and so it's it's become you know, very difficult to find insurance for hoa's that is affordable for them. And that's the point, you know, you'll what they used to pay, you know, a decent size HOA would have paid maybe one hundred thousand for premium is now being quoted you know, six hundred thousand, and they're going to have a deductible of you know, two million across the entire thing, and so they just they they've got to pass that or that's what they've done is pass that on to the individual unit owners and said, you know, you need to get insurance to cover yourself from these deductibles.
Speaker 8: And that's where that loss assessment comes.
Speaker 4: In at PITDD. You have an insurance question.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Brian, Yeah, Brian, speaking of condos, I just looked at the renewal paperwork for my condo policy, and specifically, there's an option that I purchased there. It's called Equipment Breakdown Coverage and it's from one of the big national carriers. And I looked on their website and it says that protects my equipment such as air conditioning in my case, a heat pump. But then there's also a section that says normal wear and tear is not covered.
Speaker 4: I know, right.
Speaker 12: So my question is when things wear out, they break down, and so this information seems to be in conflict with each other.
Speaker 8: Am I covered or not?
Speaker 14: Yeah, here's the problem, and Tom, you and I have talked or it's like warranty service, the home services warranties.
Speaker 4: They suck the home the like the Blue Ribbon policies and all that normal wear and tear is not covered. Owner abuse not covered, lack of maintenance not covered. Do you realize that that's ninety eight percent of everything?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's why I'm asking what am I covered for?
Speaker 4: For catastrophic failure for no.
Speaker 14: Reason, sudden, direct, and accidental? That's what that's like? What which is almost nothing?
Speaker 4: Asking almost nothing? Almost nothing? You're answering the question is why I do not recommend home warranties.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's not a warranty, it's actually insurance.
Speaker 4: I know it's not, but it's the same thing.
Speaker 8: This is ridiculous.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but honestly, Brian, give a real example of what would be covered under that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. How is my air conditioner?
Speaker 13: Like someone takes a baseball bat to his air conditioner? Wouldn't that be covered anyhow? Under normal homeowners?
Speaker 14: Well, and yeah, to your point, like a lightning strike, but that that would be lightning and that would be covered by the policy.
Speaker 8: Anyways, I really.
Speaker 4: Can't there there aren't many.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I would be covered that wouldn't be covered by your astrophic breakdown. Yeah, but that's that's covered by your normal homeowners, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Well, let's say no, it's not.
Speaker 14: Let's say a refrigerator just goes out for no reason. It's it's not old, it hasn't shown where in tearor it's it's sudden and accidental. Something happens. You can put a claim in for that, and that could be something that could be covered.
Speaker 4: Or the compressor.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so my compressor breaks down, that's covered.
Speaker 8: Well, it breaks down as it just depends on what happens.
Speaker 4: If it's a lack of maintenance, well, there is no maintenance for a compressor. So let's say it's normal wear in tear. No, if it's just old, no.
Speaker 8: Yeah, if it's ten years old and it goes out and it's there.
Speaker 4: Are things, there are things that break. Okay, there are things that break, but it could happen, but very seldom. That That's why I'm telling people when you pay, And what I hate more than that is that pre existing conditions normal warrant here, right, So that that means you don't know if it's covered or not until it breaks down. So they're telling you pay now and find out what we cover later.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think I'm not gonna like that answer.
Speaker 8: If I ever have to find out get it.
Speaker 13: I know someone that would if something did break, I know someone that could argue it and most likely get you paid.
Speaker 4: Though, who's that, Matt, Oh you mean paragram? Well if you're, yeah, but are you gonna call them on a compressor.
Speaker 12: For a refriger it's a ten thousand dollars. My neighbors replaced the heat pump. It costs ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: It's a bit well that's different the heat pump. And but you know what, that sounds a lot like a warranty to me. It does not sound like insurance. In fact, i'll bet you if you read it, it's not insurance, because insurance that's not insurance.
Speaker 14: Isn't well, there is tons of policies that you can put an endorsement for equipment breakdown.
Speaker 8: Okay, that is something, but they're actually insurance.
Speaker 14: It will not cover anything other than a sudden, direct and accidental loss, and so overall wear and terror is always going to be excluded. And that's where the problem comes into play. What's what happened?
Speaker 12: That's all I'm worried about. I'm not going to back my car into it, it's something.
Speaker 13: Does that line coverage work that same way like what I have?
Speaker 8: Brian, No, you mean service line?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm saying it's not sudden.
Speaker 14: Service line is one of those really outliers, one of those bizarre coverages and insurance where they do pay wear and terror. Okay, it is covered if a route goes through it, if it's something that happens, if something happens to it, it will cover, you know, replacing that line up to whatever that dollar a matter.
Speaker 13: How many times do you see someone actually have a claim on line coverage all the time.
Speaker 8: One of the most common claims.
Speaker 4: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content the time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven, seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the Real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi'm Tom Martino, here three oh three seven one three talk seven one three each five five. Melanie, you have a story about a condo in Tampa.
Speaker 20: What's going on, Hey, Thomas, Melanie Rince. I just wanted to call and give a shout out.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 20: My daughter is a junior at University of Tampa and this is the third time they've had to evacuate for major storms. This one, this one they were going to ride out, you know, they thought, because the other two didn't hit. But thankfully they came to their senses. But I just wanted to give a shout out. And you know, there's a lot of people in need down there.
Speaker 6: But these girls, these four girls.
Speaker 20: Are in this rinkety dank suv headed headed wherever they can to high Land. But they actually went and the foster. There's a dog foster fostering center near the university and they put it out a call if anybody can come pick up a dog to foster it. During the story, world went yeah, So the girls went and picked up one German, beautiful German shepherd. Her name is Maryland and she's traveling. But then they called the girls back and said that another, uh, another foster person returned Maryland's twin sister France. Oh another the other German shepherd, and could the girls come back and get Franny too. So we've got four girls, four nineteen year old girls in a rinketying suv with two giants German shepherds.
Speaker 4: Where are they going?
Speaker 20: Well, they went to Georgia University of Georgia and they got there and they were going to stay at another friends sorority house. But they can't have the dogs. So now they're headed to North Carolina.
Speaker 4: Holy crap, they're really getting out of there.
Speaker 20: Yeah yeah, I mean there's just nowhere. There's no hotels, there's no and so they're just driving.
Speaker 6: Anyways.
Speaker 20: I just wanted to share the story.
Speaker 4: Because it is Oh Melanie, my goodness, what good souls to go and rescue two dogs. Now are they going to bring the dogs back after the storm? What's this?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, really what they're going to start loving them? Melanie? Thank you, thank you very much. Okay, Ernie has an insurance question, Ernie, go ahead, we got compass with us today. Go ahead.
Speaker 7: It's Tom.
Speaker 19: I have a stream baller and uh it's a the lines that takes the steam up to the radiators.
Speaker 4: Are yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, insurance those well, well, insurance doesn't cover any of that. Well, it depends what happens to it. Well, Mark, give me an example of where a boiler covered someone breaks in and beats it up with a baseball. Come on, Ernie, Ernie, what we're talking about is normal insurance does not cover breakdowns. Okay, amazing, is that what you're asking about.
Speaker 11: I'm talking about the lines as the leak.
Speaker 14: Okay, if the line breaks, So what would happen with insurance is the damage caused by the leak would be covered, but they wouldn't cover the actual machinery or the line itself to be fixed.
Speaker 8: But they would fix they would have to pay for the damage.
Speaker 13: Car of course, that could be something that that other person's insurance would cover. Though, right that last caller we had where the actual insurance company had a policy on his boiler system.
Speaker 4: On an equipment.
Speaker 14: Breakdown, there is specific coverage for boiler insurance, like it's a commercial type of policy, got it. And those are more comprehensive than talking about like the you know, equipment breakdown that way.
Speaker 4: But but even with equipment breakdown, remember it has to be such a distinct breakdown. Hey, Charlie, what is your question for Compass?
Speaker 9: Charlie, Yes, yes, can you hear can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes? Yes we can, sir.
Speaker 7: Okay, So I just had a question. My mom's insurance went went from like nineteen hundred dollars a year on her house to forty eight hundred what.
Speaker 4: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait more than doubled. Yes, but but test she had a lot of claims.
Speaker 7: I mean she had a water backup claim. I'm back two years ago.
Speaker 4: What about a roof?
Speaker 7: Her roof was replaced back in twenty twelve. But it's not a.
Speaker 4: Class for that's okay? Did you Ryan shot?
Speaker 7: What's that?
Speaker 4: Did you shop around to other companies?
Speaker 7: I've got a quote from USA, she's with Travelers. They got a quote from the USAA and a quote from State Farms.
Speaker 4: You better do the insurance checkup.
Speaker 13: By the way, Yeah, it's free, and you're going to have like twenty companies.
Speaker 4: Man through Compass, I mean or yeah, it's free, there's no obligation.
Speaker 7: Well, but what I'm being told is that the insurance companies now are looking at aerial views and if you have this house is almost eighty years old.
Speaker 13: That could be true, but it still doesn't matter. They're still calculator.
Speaker 4: They're doing aerial views and doing what tell.
Speaker 7: Me what aerial views? And if you have trees over your roof that they just basically don't want to ensure.
Speaker 14: They'll just require it be trimp back. I'm guessing is what is what would happen if they did earl of view they would say these these Yeah, they don't want branches touching your roof.
Speaker 18: Yeah, but you shouldn't.
Speaker 13: I mean, that's common sense though, right guys, yes.
Speaker 4: Right, Why don't you call them though? Three oh three nine ninety six, nine thousand, for the hell of it.
Speaker 13: And seriously, and let us know.
Speaker 4: Now, coming up, we'll discuss Valencia apartments, which, by the way, it's Valencia condos. They believe the Club of Valencia. It's it's been the worst thing I have ever heard of in my life. And they need to get they truly need to get a public adjuster mark. When you hear the story, I'll go over it again. It is unbelievable. More coming right up, Hi, Tom Martino here three three seven on three talk Anastasia. Were you living in Club Valencia?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 15: No, I was not living there.
Speaker 2: I own a unit there.
Speaker 4: And you were renting it out unit God, I want to explain what's going on? Did you guys? Did a start with a fire?
Speaker 15: It started with one fire in November of twenty two.
Speaker 4: And then they found asbestos? Is that right?
Speaker 2: That's correct?
Speaker 4: And has in it? Sat that vacant the entire project? Didn't they vacate it?
Speaker 18: Yes?
Speaker 4: And how many owners were displaced?
Speaker 15: There were one hundred and sixty four units affected after the second fire. The first fire included eighty units. The second fire included the balance of the others to be boarded up in chain linked. Are you closed up from that point forward?
Speaker 4: Now here's the deal. Not only are they displaced, Brian, but there's all kinds of lawsuits going on and the insurance companies are not paying. Right, you didn't get paid, did you? Anastasia correct? No one's paying anything? Did they? What is the HOA doing? Did they get together to hire a public adjuster or something?
Speaker 15: They did the AKA they had a public adjuster.
Speaker 4: And is the public adjuster? Well, is the public adjuster doing anything?
Speaker 15: He's being very proactive on behalf of the HOA and the owners. He has good advocated with a Rapo County to have the value of the property reflect what has happened so that property owners are no longer paying on the full value.
Speaker 4: Well, what's going to happen, anaesthesia? Are our insurance company? Is the insurance company going to finally pay?
Speaker 15: It depends on the outcome of the current lawsuits.
Speaker 4: Why is the insurance company refusing to pay? To begin with? Why did they not pay.
Speaker 15: The master carrier? It's my understanding the master carrier use some technicalities in the coverage to deny payment. We like, what do you remember something to do with the smoke alarms?
Speaker 13: Oh, like they had to be up to a certain criteria in order for the coverage to kick in.
Speaker 4: Yes, Brian, have you ever heard of that their fire reduction equipment is not proper? It's or fire prevention whatever.
Speaker 14: It's very hard to imagine that there was a clause in there that if you didn't have a smoke alarm up to date, that they can Who is who was the insurance carrier?
Speaker 15: You know, I'm not sure the name of the carrier. They are out of another state.
Speaker 4: Well, what about your individual what about your individual policy?
Speaker 15: Well, in my own case, and I can't speak for others, but let's.
Speaker 4: Get her up in the morning. Tom, I want to get you back on We got to talk about this issue, and I'd like to get Matt's perspective on it as well. And maybe you can give us the number of your public adjuster. I'm Tom Martine. Don't forget your free insurance check up with Compass Insurance Group and that's three h three nine nine six nine thousand. Save all your problems for me.