Speaker 1: All right, We're joined as we are every Friday with by our friend Stephen Presley. You can find him on Instagram at thunder pop Tv, also same handle on YouTube. We get together, talk a little bit of entertainment, some Hollywood, some scoop, some stuff. And this one goes back to a few weeks ago. You kind of predicted this whole HBO Max thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 3: They changed the colors a few months back to back to the HBO look and style.
Speaker 2: It was still Max.
Speaker 3: But people are like, are they having buyer's remorse that maybe they're kind of easing back into HBO Max, And sure enough, they made it official. They're going back to HBO Max, which seems like they should have never changed it to begin with. That prestige that you get with HBO being attached to your name, you know that only brings clout with it. But one of the things John Cena, who was doing promos for his series Peacemaker in the middle of doing his promos as Max, was forced to go back and redo promos for HBO Max.
Speaker 4: Oh so the question am I missing?
Speaker 5: Why we Why are we so upset if it's called HBO Max or Max like I'm not going to stop watching it because I don't like the colors of the logo or the name, Like why is this such a big deal?
Speaker 3: I think familiarity. Some people are like, we'll look at Max and like what is Max? But they see, HBO, Max, You've got that history that's attached to that, the prestige.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean maybe it's because I was a dirty little dude, but yeah, Max, when you were a kid, Cinemax was also called it was all called skin Amax, yeah, right, and because it had some dirty stuff on it, right, and so it maybe still had that kind of lingering around.
Speaker 5: I mean, do you get dirty stuff everywhere now, But when you were our age, like middle school was your spot.
Speaker 1: Cinemax had an image, right, and they were there trying to combat that with bringing the wholesome you know, HBO.
Speaker 4: I guess is it weird?
Speaker 5: Did I remember specifically the shows the main ones to look for if you're trying to sneak in the dirty stuff was Lady Chatterley's Lover in a Manual?
Speaker 1: I remember that one, so uh yeah, I mean that was kind of just a mistake from the beginning.
Speaker 6: I guess do you remember the was it on Cinemax, where it was just like everyone called it sexercise.
Speaker 2: It was women.
Speaker 6: It was women doing aerobics and and yoga, and the cameras were just like up in their chili.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They would lay on their back and with their knees bent and do humps upwards. Yeah yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 4: Like it was it was dirty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they were legit working out, but it was gratuitously shot. Oh yeah, in the most inappropriate way you can imagine.
Speaker 1: They had the Suzanne Summer Thigh Master out there came I wanted you to see how the five Master worked, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: But but I think you're you know, you guys are on it. Like HBO has this top tier.
Speaker 1: Brand to it.
Speaker 6: We all loved HBO, and then when they generated original programming and stuff, it was always at a higher level. So yeah, this is a brand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point. They really made good original stuff, sopranos and stuff like that. Yeah, you know, and Max never did that. They just so porn.
Speaker 2: And then the Internet came along and put them out of business.
Speaker 1: Yeah. True. Yeah. Summer of fastly approaching, although it already feels like summer in Austin, Texas with these one hundred degree temperatures. But movies, movie season summertime is big, and there are ways that you can save some bucks at AMC and Galaxy theaters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are some movies people are excited about. I mean, we're going to get that Superman movie. So yeah, So AMC Theaters is launching fifty percent off Wednesdays only, that's the catch, and it's beginning July ninth, so we'll begin in July. Now it's for all see stub members, but they do have a free tier version of that, so you can join AMC stubs free and get the fifty percent off on Wednesdays.
Speaker 1: So what is the membership like popcorn or something.
Speaker 2: It's like a rewards program.
Speaker 3: When you sign up, they get well, you give them all your info, so they have your information for the rest of your life and they could chase you down and find you anywhere you're at for promos. But yeah, then for that you get that fifty percent off discount of Wednesdays, which I guess it's pretty good in the summertime. Now, Galaxy is continuing something they've already been doing for a while called Flashback Cinema, which is really good. It's two dollars movies, but it's for older movies, but.
Speaker 2: They're pretty good. Like last year they did Goonies.
Speaker 3: This year they're going to be back to the future, so the opportunity to see some of these nostalgia films on the big screen again. And they have three dollars of fifty cents. This is what they call a snack pack, so it's it's a little popcorn. It's a little mini candy pack of candy and a smaller soft drink for three dollars and fifty cents.
Speaker 1: I liked.
Speaker 6: I'm thinking about, you know, the parents looking for things to do with their kids this summer when it's triple digits out going to a matinee screening, seen some old movies and not getting overcharged.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be that totally makes sense. Yeah, do parents today still send their kids to the movie theater with the brown bag full of popcorns with the grease staying on the bottom of it.
Speaker 5: Our daughter doesn't do the popcorn bag, but they raid the Target candy aisle, Yeah, and go in with ridiculous amount. They can get the same amount or three times the amount of candy at Target for the price they pay for like one box of candy at the movie theater.
Speaker 1: Of course. Yeah, you're just just just killing the local movie theater owner. That's all.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Though it's so expensive.
Speaker 5: One of the rewards, one of the parts of those reward programs that we were talking about, is that you get like a discount on the step that the concession stand, which I mean that alone is worth it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes saw he was pretty funny. He went and saw a movie recently, and and he was there, and he goes, he goes, you would have thought that the person getting the popcorn for me, I would have asked them to pull a tooth out of their heat. He said, there's the most miserable human being he'd ever met as his life. You know, It's just like wow.
Speaker 4: He hated working there.
Speaker 1: He hated it, hated working there. So I guess I would too if I was slinging popcorn all the time. Whatever. Speaking of the AMC membership, an Instagram user, the handle is gotta Go NYC.
Speaker 2: Is that right, Gotta Go n y C.
Speaker 3: And the whole their whole platform is how to find the hacks to get to restrooms in New York City when you're when you're a pedestrian or subway user. The best restrooms not only restrooms, how to get to them, but how to get to clean restrooms that are sanitary. So one of their hacks is is to join AMC stubs membership, because then you get access to where you can go there they pay. They do the paid version, so where you can go to movie anytime you want. You play a flat rate, and then you can go as many as many movies as you want. So there's They mentioned how there's AMC theaters like every three or four blocks away from each other in their neighborhood in New York City. So when they're when they're out and about, like I gotta go there's an AMC, they say, hey, I'd like to get one ticket to that Minion's two movie, Wink wink. And then they head in and they said, you have a restroom all to yourself, it's cleaned, it's luxurious. It's like it's like nothing else in New York City. And since they don't have a buckets in New York City, I mean, this is this is a pretty good option.
Speaker 4: That is a pretty good option.
Speaker 1: We can tell you something. This is a big moment for gotta go NYC because they have one hundred and fifty two followers. One hundred and two followers. It's all they have here. Good for them. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 4: We should all give them a follow They'll.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Yeah, everybody, everybody listening go follow that. It's gotta go underscore NYC and follow them. They'll freak out, They're like, what's going on? Why everyone in Austin loves us?
Speaker 6: Yeah, guys, sounds like there's a demand for like a membership based clean bathroom suscol that people would pay a lot for that, wouldn't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's for a bathroom easy to get distracted on Instagram? Sorry, really really easy to do. Stephen Presley is with us. He's with us every single Friday and still to come with Stephen. We're gonna talk about Scarlett Johansson this weekend on Saturday Night Live. Also a cartoon character getting some internet backlass for teaching slang terms. Stay with us. It's coming up on Austin's eighties station one O three point one and streaming on the iHeartRadio app. Stephen Presley joins us, coming up' gona talk about Scarlett Johansson's appearance on Saturday Night Live this weekend and a cartoon character let's getting some backlash for treat for teaching slang. We'll get to that in just a moment. But Steven, can I ask you a question first? You ever thought you very impressive mustache? Have you ever thought of just going just mustache? Guy? I think it would work.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm afraid to do that look.
Speaker 1: Well for the afraid to send them off the wrong vibe. Or Yeah.
Speaker 3: I either could go really I mean, can you either go really good with that like Tom Selleck, or you can go really bad and look like you know every other douche.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: But the young you've got a man mustache. These young guys. That's a big thing right now with the young dudes. Is a Benson Boone mustache. Yeah, and they're gonna regret that. But you've got a real man.
Speaker 5: Mustache build in like Steve Harvey level, not that thick, but like professionally grown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, say you give it a whirl. I say you try.
Speaker 6: Maybe out on the streets and test her, get some looks.
Speaker 1: You have to get your wife's permission if you were to do that.
Speaker 3: Oh, she would not She's She's told me before, do not do the mustache, specifically without me even talking about it.
Speaker 4: It's something she worries about.
Speaker 2: Out of the blue, she would bring it up. But you know what, I could probably give it a week.
Speaker 3: Let's see mustache and soul patch for you.
Speaker 4: No, soul you were leading him down the wrong patch. Don't actually anything.
Speaker 2: I will not do that. I did do the soul patch years ago for a very brief time. I can't remember why.
Speaker 1: I had.
Speaker 2: My roommate, who was a huge Metallica fan, loved it. He said.
Speaker 3: That kind of reminds me of he said, reminded him of one of the members of Metallica. I can't remember the guy's name who has a soul patch.
Speaker 1: A little while. I know what you're talking about, but I can't remember his name either. It's a funny name, isn't it. Soul Patch? How to get named that? Right? I don't know jazz thing? Yeah probably. Let's talk about Scarlett Johansson hosting Saturday Night Live. She's out there promoted her new movie Jurassic World.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 3: And how many times are they going to get these humans? How dumb are the humans? They keep going back to this island totally with.
Speaker 2: The real thing.
Speaker 4: I would totally go I love these movies.
Speaker 2: Really, you would go to the islands.
Speaker 4: I would totally go to the island.
Speaker 1: She's not real smart, JB.
Speaker 2: Sandy. Is that an adventure that y'all would need?
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't go to the other side of the island on Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 4: Oh, the Headhunters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm more the head Hunters than the dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: But I'm not going. I'm not going to that island, no way.
Speaker 2: I'll just do the VR. I'll do the VR version.
Speaker 1: Have you ridden a roller coaster on VR? Yet? You have those?
Speaker 4: No, you'll throw up? Just so you know.
Speaker 1: I'll bring them over and you, guys, it's crazy.
Speaker 6: It feels like a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah really, yes, just like writing a roller coaster. It's pretty awesome. What are our things that I had to have?
Speaker 5: They be our goggles? Yeah, I don't know the name of them. I can't remember that, but you are super into it for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the meta ones. They're super cool. Yeah. Anyways, Scarlett Johansson, she'll do a great job. She's funny and she talks dirty and I like it and yeah.
Speaker 3: And I like her, She's hosted now more. With this appearance this weekend, she will have hosted more times than any other female host Wow seven times.
Speaker 1: What if she and her husband will ride into work together? Colin Colin, Colin Tybe, you're not a fan of the Weekend Guide guys now? And I love them up.
Speaker 6: I just feel like it's I feel like it's the weakest it's ever been.
Speaker 4: I just I love it.
Speaker 2: I like him too, Yeah, I like their banter back and forth.
Speaker 6: How they they've made it all about them and they're prodding at each other.
Speaker 1: It's so you know, the jokes they write.
Speaker 5: For each other and then they read them live on air, or at least they make you think they those are hilarious.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm just I don't know. It just doesn't click with me for some reason. And I know people are super fans.
Speaker 1: Who is your favorite Weekend updater?
Speaker 6: Mine, hands down was Norm McDonald.
Speaker 2: Same here, He's the best easily for me.
Speaker 1: I gotta go back and watch.
Speaker 6: I've never been a huge well and that's what got him fired too. He could not let go of the OJ jokes. Yeah, and one of the NBC executives was like best friends with OJ. Yeah, it cost me Norm McDonald.
Speaker 3: His job, but it aged aged very well for him, that whole scenario.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stephen Presley's our guest. Give him a follow on Instagram. It's at thunder Pop TV. Same thing on YouTube. So what cartoon characters taking heat for teaching slang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good old Door of the Explorer. She's teaching kids slang words and she got backlash the slang word sigma. Nickelodeon recently posted a video on their Instagram, and I I have beef with that. I don't see why a cartoon character for kids needs an Instagram account, because kids shouldn't be on Instagram anyway. But that's a whole other beef. But here's the thing. They had a cringey three D animated version of Dora, which also got some backlash, and she explains the term sigma as someone who's confident, independent and does things their own way. Anyway, it posted this post sparked significant backlash for teaching this slang word.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, they got pulled down.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Landry threw out sigma a couple of times, and I was like, what is that. It's a full time job to try and keep up with the slang with teenagers and how quickly it changes and what's okay to say and not okay to say.
Speaker 4: But the Sigma was weird.
Speaker 5: There was another one that's pretty popular, like Sigma that I was like, I don't think I want you to say those things.
Speaker 1: The one that the kids say all the time. I've had enough of is buh bruh bh.
Speaker 4: She bruhs sometimes and I shut it down.
Speaker 1: I heard from the other room. Don't you brow me anymore? Okay, the joys of having a teenager are unending. With the language you said.
Speaker 5: You were in the car with landrying some of her girls, and one of the girls was telling you about a concert that she went to and she said it was something and You're like, I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was like, because I knew that she had gone to see the Deaf Tones, and I go, how is a Deathtone show? And she goes, dude, it was so bra And I was like, hey, hey, help me out. I don't know what that means. And she's like it was just so not great. I'm like, oh, wow, so anyway, do it on and on. She just looked at me like she was talking to her grandfather, did you a boomer? Right? Exactly? Anything else Steven that we just absolutely have to know about.
Speaker 3: Well, Superman. We were talking about this earlier before the show. The Superman trailer dropped this week, and people are of course excited because it shows more that we've seen so far of this film. It's going to be more colorful, brighter. It's not that dark and brooding Superman. Of course, we know about his cutesy dog, super Dog or crypton crypto crypto, Yeah, not cryptocurrency, but now crypto the dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why would you name your dog after your one weakness?
Speaker 6: I know that makes of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that is baffling, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just don't understand where the dog fits in.
Speaker 5: Like he keeps seeing the dog and the trailers and I'm absolutely going to go see this movie.
Speaker 1: Have they wissified Superman at all? Steven?
Speaker 2: That's that some people have speculated.
Speaker 3: There's some criticism because there's that one scene where he's on the ground and he kind of looks beat up and the dog is jumping on him and he's he's like take me home, he's mumbling, So I think they don't want him to be so overwhelming and so godlike that the heat people can't relate to him, so they're trying to make him more relatable, maybe closer to.
Speaker 1: The christianer on. They can't relate to a guy from another planet, Superman that changes clothes in a phone booth, right, I mean.
Speaker 5: You can change the spin of the world by flying really fast.
Speaker 1: Faster than a speeding bullet.
Speaker 6: Well, that's one thing you gotta change. It's the phone booth thing. You could never go into action.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: Wonder Woman was the smartest of all with the costume change.
Speaker 6: Just spin in a circle anywhere, anywhere you are, anywhere you want.
Speaker 4: And she was hot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she'd killed it like le garage sale.
Speaker 1: Trying to Steve had always good chatting with you, man, I'm telling you think about the mustache.
Speaker 2: The mustache, he asked, the soul patch.
Speaker 1: No, all right, have a good weekend, man. It's the I think Steven's The JB and Sandy Show. Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. We're streaming on the iHeartRadio app. We're coming up