Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: McDonald says it's going to bring back a menu item it discontinued nearly a decade ago, just in time for lunch. Actually it won't be on the menu until July tenth, but snack raps will return to the McDonald's menus. Snack wraps were introduced in two thousand and six, but pulled about ten years later because they were ready. They were too complicated for the kitchen to prepare.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if they've changed.
Speaker 2: The building of a McDonald's snack rap, but supposedly they'll be coming back in July, so you can fill that snack rap shaped hole in your heart.
Speaker 4: Hi, Gary and Shannon Shannon. I miss you, and if you are suspended, I'm sure it was worth it. I don't even know what everybody's talking about, but you're my spirit animal and I think you're awesome and listening to you guys every single day and I can't wait for you to.
Speaker 3: Come back tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And I hope you're joining your time off oky Bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll hear from Shannon tomorrow.
Speaker 3: What else is going on?
Speaker 1: Time for What's happening?
Speaker 2: Quill An update on the Big Beautiful Bill now is that Elon Musk came out swinging. He has slammed the President's Big Beautiful Bill making its way through the Senate now as a disgusting abomination. Okay, that's a lot different than what he was saying last week. Elon Musk wrote on his social media platform Twitter, X whatever you want to call it. Quote, I'm sorry, but I just can't stand it anymore. This massive, outrageous, pork filled congressional spending bill is a disgusting abomination. Shame on those who voted for it. You know you did wrong, You know it. He went on to criticize the bill for setting up Congress to increase the already gigantic budget deficit to two point five trillion and put a crushingly unsustainable debt on Americans. So I suppose it's better that he did that after the President wished him bid him adieu from the White House.
Speaker 3: Yes last week, so not good.
Speaker 2: President Trump, speaking of, is threatening California again, following the transgender athlete from Yuupa High Valley High School competing in the state track and field event last week in Clovis. President Trump posted today on social media that Gavin Newsom fully understands large scale finds will it will be imposed. No idea what that means.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The President doesn't have the ability to find a state for something like this, so.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the plan is we do, you know?
Speaker 2: The Department of Justice has opened its investigation to determine if the state law that allows transgender athletes, the one that was signed by Jerry Brown to compete in female sports teams at California schools, violates federal Title nine civil rights law that potentially could be where they see fines, but not just from the President. The Olympics got a new, big, huge sponsor. Team USA LA twenty eight and Honda have announced a new major sponsorship. The terms of the deal not disclosed, but it looks like this level of sponsorship starts at about two hundred million dollars. This deal fills the hole for the automotive category for the Olympics for LA twenty eight, considered one of the most most important when it comes to the Olympics. Toyota had been the auto sponsor they did not renew their deal after twenty twenty four. In terms of the other massive, massive, big name, top tier sponsors you have of Delta and Comcast for LA twenty eight, the CEO of US Olympic and Paralympic Properties, John Slusher, says the new deal brings the operation in more than a billion and a half in sponsorship sales. The ultimate goal would be two and a half billion. The money in the Olympics continues to be an issue as well for LA workers. Hotel and airport workers are rallying at LA City Hall today to announce a campaign to defend the recently approved minimum wage increase. Members of the Tourism Workers Rising Coalition, lobbied for this thirty dollars minimum wage, will host a news conference alongside City Council members as well as Von Wheeler, the president of the La County Federation of Labor. These are room attendants and cooks and dishwashers, airline catering, airport workers that will eventually get about thirty bucks an hour by July twenty twenty eight, just in time for the twenty eight Olympics. The companies that would have to be paying those have come together and they have decided that they want to put this thing on the ballot, and that group has until June thirtieth to get ninety three thousand signatures from registered voters in LA to qualify for the June twenty sixth ballot to try to put the clamp down on all of this. Officials at the US Embassy and consulates in Mexico have confirmed several reports of Americans being kidnapped by people they met on a dating app. This was a security alert that came out just yesterday. Authorities at the consulate in Guadalajara issued a warning about all the incidents, all of them occurring in recent months in the areas of Portavarda and Nuevo Nare Nayarit. They said, victims in their families in the US have at times been extorted for large sums of money to secure their release. Please be aware that this type of violence is not limited to one geographic area. Travelers should use caution. They didn't name any of the specific dating apps, but they said this be cautious if using dating apps in Mexico. Yeah, need only in public places, avoid isolated locations, tell family and friends where you're going, and if something doesn't feel right.
Speaker 3: Trust your gut.
Speaker 2: Great news for fans of the Wayfarer's Chapel, that historic glass structure in Rancho Palace Verdes. They say it may have found a new home about a mile west of its original site. RPV has been falling into the ocean basically, and this has compromised where Wayfarer's Chapel is, So they're saying the potential new location is that the old Battery Barnes Military site, which would be right next to OURBV.
Speaker 3: City Hall.
Speaker 2: Chapel had to close February of last year because the land underneath it was shifting, so it was taken apart and basically put into storage in twenty twenty four. Now they're saying that they'll be able to put it back up hopefully again at the old Battery Barnes military site next to the City Hall.
Speaker 3: I mentioned snackraps. Snack wraps are coming back.
Speaker 2: It looks like on July tenth, that is the expectation for you to put the snack wraps back into your face hole. And if you're wondering whatever happened to all of it, they said that they couldn't they couldn't make them efficiently in the McDonald's kitchen, but now they can, I suppose, and if you're into the fast food world, well how about this. We've seen McDonald's and Taco Bell and Burger Kings operate inside of stores and now Wienerschnitzel. Walmart is turning to smaller chains to move into open spaces at the front of their stores, including a newly announced partnership with the iconic hot Dog franchise. They'll be opening restaurants in six Walmart locations this year Bakersfield, Tempe, Colorado, Springs, Alamgordo, Reno, and Puallup, Washington. All of those Walmarts are going to be getting their new Wiener Schnitzels at some point. Looking to expand, they said their non traditional venues, with the company actively pursuing sites like airports, military bases, theme parks, food courts, and convenience stores. The Wiener Schnitzel people say that allows them to modernize their footprint, being bring their iconic flavors to new audiences, and reinforce the brand's relevance in today's evolving retail and dining landscape. There are right now, as of right now, more than three hundred Wiener Schnitzel locations across thirteen states, most of them here in the West. There are a couple in Louisiana and Illinois as well. All Right, the question do you prefer movies in a movie theater or movies in the comfort of your own home theater versus couch.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We'll do true crime Tuesday. Coming up at the bottom of the hour. Was one of them was the Mushroom murders. We've talked about it before, but a revisit of what it is that this woman did and everybody has ideas on what's going on for the mushroom murder trial and then a cold case out of Northern California. It took forty seven years, but it was a student who came forward with some information that explained that opened the door for the murderer of a teacher from up there in Northern California. We spoke earlier today about the difference between streaming services and theater openings when it comes to production companies deciding which vein to go down, which way to release a movie and how that can impact the bottom line. Originally, originally Leelo and Stitch was going to be a Disney Plus only release, the remake that is, and they decided obviously clearly the better bet to do it in theaters, and they're probably well on their way to about a million dollars. But I wanted to ask, what is better? Is it movie theaters? Is it streaming sitting in the comfort of your own home.
Speaker 5: Hi, Gary, It's Frank and San Bernardino. My wife and I always go to the Blockbusters at the theater. We go to Ontario Mills just saw Mission Impossible. Any other ones with the big stars in the in the big movies. If we don't, if we watch on streaming, it's usually because we didn't get to the theater for some reason. But no comparison. Have a great one.
Speaker 3: Thank you you too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The the benefit obviously of one of the theater movies is the gigantic screen fills up your peripheral vision. Depending on where you said, the sound systems are incredible, although the technology for sound systems in home theater have definitely increased in the last couple of years.
Speaker 7: A very great.
Speaker 8: Question toil back and forth between the movies then sitting in my living room with the sixty five inch high definition TV in a solo surrounds system. I don't think that can be be so I vote for staying at home. I'm sorry. I have memories of being a kid and going to the movies for a quarter. Believe it or not, post days are over.
Speaker 2: On and I never went when it was a quarter, but I did have a couple of days where it was like a four dollars movie ticket that was the cheapest.
Speaker 7: Hey, Yary, you.
Speaker 6: Want to chime in on your movie theater question. If it is a movie that I think my kids would like and I would enjoy it too, I definitely like to take them to the movie theater for that type of thing. But if it's a movie just for me or my husband, I could care less. And we just watched that at home, not even paying to streatment. Wait till it's free, missus.
Speaker 9: Shannon, Thank you the best movie that I've ever seen. Would I want to watch it at home or in a theater? Yeah, definitely in a theater. I love going to the theater. I'm glad it's back.
Speaker 10: I do it a lot.
Speaker 9: It's kind of expensive, but I love it. It's my introverted times, definitely in the theater.
Speaker 2: The last movie I saw, I should say, the last movie that I had to get up early or stay up late to see was one of the Star Wars movies, and my son and I got up I believed four o'clock in the morning. It opened at midnight Thursday night, Friday morning, and then we saw one of the second or third showing or whatever it was. And that was eight nine years ago something like that. That was the last one that I actually had to set an alarm for to go see a movie.
Speaker 11: Hey, gear Bear, robin oc I like to see the big premieres is always a fun time. They stopped during the midnight release and those were great. We would get dressed up, we'd see the movie, we'd be excited about it.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of hype. I take the kids.
Speaker 11: That was the best experience ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people agree with that, the idea that there's something about the group mentality of seeing a movie that you're all very excited about. It may be different than having you and your your wife or your kid or whatever sitting next to you and they're not that interested in the movie that you wanted to watch.
Speaker 10: Hey, Gary, enjoy you in the show. Listen to movie theaters. I'm not. I don't go to them. I'm afraid of getting the scavs or what or or bed bugs or anything like that. Okay, And it's it's gross to smell of popcorn bread.
Speaker 7: Disgust me. What but good air conditioning? All right, that's the popcorn bread. Popcorn itself smells great.
Speaker 3: That's uh.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things I got going for there at a movie theater that I don't have at the house.
Speaker 3: To go to the movie theater.
Speaker 6: Okay, as long as people stay off their damn cellphones going to the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and while you're at it, stay off of my lawn too.
Speaker 12: That'd be bad, Hi, Gary and Shannon Without shann in today, I think that the theatrical experience is far superior to the at home experience, though, to be fair to everyone, you can see a movie and eat your favorite snacks and candy.
Speaker 10: For free at home.
Speaker 12: But in the theater, you know, especially if you're a solo traveler like me, it's really cool to be around others watching the same movie as you and hearing those you know, reactions and having those conversations.
Speaker 3: After the film. That is also fun.
Speaker 2: If you're able to see a movie in a different location, and usually it's not necessarily everybody's big vacation plan is to go see a movie. I mean, you're there to see I guess you're there to see the location you need in the restaurants and visit the things in hike the mountains or whatever you're supposed to do. But there are still a group of people that will go see a movie in Hawaii or in Cabo or something like that. And part of it is because you still I would say it's at least partially because people want to have the familiar, even in those places that are unusual to them. That's why people go to You're gonna go to Japan and go to a McDonald's. I mean, granted it's slightly different, but it's McDonald's. You got a McDonald You've got four of them on the way home from work, and you go all the way to Japan and eat at McDonald's. I have a vacation plan later in the summer, and my nephew is very excited about seeing Superman and we're gonna be in Hawaii, and he wants to go see Superman in Hawaii.
Speaker 3: I would rather sit anywhere on any.
Speaker 2: Of those islands for any length of time than sit in a movie theater for a couple of hours. But that's his big plan. That's one of the things he has carved out, is he wants to go see Superman when it opens on July eleventh.
Speaker 3: That is one of those stories.
Speaker 2: By the way, they do expect Superman to come in somewhere around seven hundred million dollars to be considered a success. Because Superman had a budget of two hundred twenty five million dollars. The release date obviously is going to be a big deal, and the weekend after the fourth of July may be just what it needs to pick up that seven hundred million dollars. The last Superman or at least The Man of Steel, Superman made about six hundred and seventy million worldwide with at the time it wasn't unknown, but Henry Cavill wasn't as big a star then as he is now. So up next True Crime Tuesdays, we're going to start with the Mushroom murders taking Australia by storm.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: There was a there's a story.
Speaker 2: We were talking about the difference between streaming services and movie theaters. Which production studios want to release it streaming, which ones want to go to the movie theater, And there was a somebody just reminded me of something. The caught quality on the audio was not great, but they said that had been calling sorry that they had called in to say that they like going to the movies. They used to until there was one movie where somebody was eating the popcorn kernels, the unpopped kernels in the movie theater and cracking them with their teeth. Now there is a movie and I can't remember what it is. Joseph Gordon Levitt is in it. I believe, I want to say, it's like it would have been right around two thousand perhaps, and it was a story about young men that had been diagnosed with cancer. A young man who'd been diagnosed with cancer and it's the end of his life. Basic depressing movie. My wife and I saw that movie and the person sitting next to us ate a green apple in the movie theater. Full crunch, full slurp, full truck. It was awful. It was absolutely awful. So that was the worst experience I think we had as movie theaters. It's time for True Crime Tuesday.
Speaker 3: The story is true.
Speaker 1: True, No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Garry and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 2: Well, this is this case out of Australia is being overshadowed by the court cases that we have going on here in America. We've got the Karen Reid case, We've got the Harvey Weinstein case, We've got the Sean Diddy Combs case. We've got all these cases that are going on and sucking a lot of attention away from what's going on in Australia. This is a tiny little town, a tiny a few hours outside of Melbourne. The small town of Morewell is where this trial is taking place. But the crime that they're hearing about took place in the even smaller town of Leongatha. In July of twenty twenty three, Aaron Patterson, a fifty year old mom of a couple of kids, is face racing three counts of murder murder for serving toxic beef Wellington to relatives at her house. Now she was a strange from her husband Simon at the time and he was invited to the lunch, but he didn't show up, so he and Aaron invited her in laws, Don and Gail Patterson, Gail's sister, so this would have been her aunt and uncle in law, Heather Wilkinson, and Ian Wilkinson. Three of those four people died as a result of eating that beef. Wellington, Don and Gail the mother and father in law, and then Gail's sister Heather the aunt in law, all died. Ian Ate but survived even though he spent several weeks in the hospital. And again the estranged husband, Simon, was supposed to be at the lunch, but he backed out. Now all of this has to do with poisonous mushrooms. Aaron Patterson had said that when COVID hit, she started foraging for mushrooms on her own, just kind of a hobby during lockdown of March of twenty twenty, and the question was, well, who knew you had this hobby, and she said, only my kids, which is weird. Now, we've been told for a very long time, don't just take mushrooms out of the wild and cook them and eat them. They can kill you, she says. When she would forage for these mushrooms. She would cut a little bit of one, fry it up with some butter, and eat it. She said they taste good. She said she didn't get sick. She also fed some of these foraged mushrooms to her kids. She chopped them up very small so they wouldn't pick them out of the dishes that she was making, the curries, the pastas, and the soups, and developed a taste for exotic mushroom varieties. She even joined a mushroom lover's Facebook group. She even bought a dehydrator, a food dehydrator to preserve these mushrooms.
Speaker 3: And when asked by her own.
Speaker 2: Attorney, did she accept that that beef Wellington she made in July of twenty three did include death cap mushrooms, She said, yes, yes, she knows she did it, but it was entirely an accident, she said, so, she told her lawyer most of the mushrooms that she used that day in that beef Wellington came from local supermarkets, and she agreed she might have put them in the same container as some of the wild mushrooms that she had foraged, and there were even others that came from an Asian food store that she didn't necessarily know the provenance of.
Speaker 3: Oh there's more, she.
Speaker 2: Did say, like I said, she admitted that there were death cap mushrooms in there. She said it was completely accidental. But she was asked about a series of explative film messages that she had sent about those in laws a few months before they died. She said it was in a Facebook group she described as what she thought was a safe venting space for a group of women. And she's talking smack about her in laws who then six months later end up completely dead. She said she tried to have her in laws mediate a dispute with their estranged husband, Simon their son about school fields school fees, and she was feeling hurt. She said she was frustrated. She was a little bit desperate. The couple they separated a long time ago, ten years ago. So this is eight years later that she invites the in laws and the aunt and uncle in law over for this beautiful beef Wellington. This is a captivating trial in the country of Australia. Everybody everywhere is talking about this. There are at least two documentaries that have been produced that delve into this. Newspapers there in Australia have devoted entire full pages to this trial. Websites have been live blogging everybody's testimony and each morning outside the trial for this mushroom murderer, Aaron Patterson.
Speaker 3: That's the allegation.
Speaker 2: They are lining up every day to take the public seats that they can get. We'll tell you how they eventually decide. There's another true crime story. After decades of investigating the murder of a teacher, police in San Jose have finally confirmed, forty seven years later, who did it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 2: We've seen cold cases before, this is one of the oldest ones that we've seen in a long time. After decades of suspicion, police up in San Jose have confirmed they know the identity of the killer of a high school teacher in San Jose. It was June sixteenth, nineteen seventy eight, just a day after Brandham High School in San Jose recess for the summer. A student found a teacher, Diane Peterson, lying on the floor of the hallway near her classroom, single stab wound to her chest and the Santa Clara County d'a's office said that Peterson was just one of a handful of teachers who were on campus that day. They were cleaning out their classrooms from the summer break for the summer break when she was killed. And for years, authorities said they had one person in mind. A sixteen year old student at the school was considered a person of interest in the case, but they didn't get any information. The tips they had didn't lead anywhere, so the case remained unsolved for forty seven years. Now, the reason this kid, the sixteen year old, became a person of interest was he was arrested in an unrelated crime and detectives noticed that his booking photo looked a lot like the police sketch of the teacher's killer. We just don't see police sketches anymore because of the ubiquity of surveillance cameras that exist all over the place. But the sketch came from a student witness who said that they heard the teacher yelling for help and saw the killer take off. That same student, however, the one who came up with the original image the sketch, later disclaimed his statement. Police had also been told by witness that they had seen the sixteen year old carrying a knife that had the words teacher deer written on the side of it. When he was questioned, the sixteen year old said he didn't have a knife at all, so they were unable to corroborate all of that. Now, prosecutors note that the retracted statement by the fellow student, as well as another one when she confronted him about drug dealing, neither story was corroborated. But they've said now that a relative disclosed that Nicki Nickerson his real name was Harry, that Nicky had admitted to stabbing the teacher literally minutes after it happened. The Santa Clara County DA Jeff Rosen said Miss Peterson would have been a senior citizen today if she had not crossed paths with his violent teenager. So finally officially solved. John Cobelt Show is coming up next. We'll see you tomorrow. Stay dry. Everybody you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.