Speaker 1: All right, everyone, welcome back. We're diving deep into five G today, and yeah, it's going to be a wild ride, I think, because we're going way beyond just like well you can download faster. You know, you're talking about some pretty fundamental shifts. It really is in how we live and work and experience the world. And to help us navigate this this crazy new landscape, we've got excerpts from Get this this Sprint Business Special edition of five G for Dummies.
Speaker 2: All Right, so that sounds accessible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, And I think what's really cool about this is that, you know, it's written for people who are kind of in the business world, so it's got that practical you know, how is this going to affect the bottom line? Right kind of vibe, which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So where do we even begin with five G? I mean everyone's heard the hype. What's the reality.
Speaker 2: I think a good place to start is by acknowledging that five G is not just like the next little step. You know, it's not just a little upgrade.
Speaker 1: It's not just four G but a little faster exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's not an incremental change, right, This is like think about going from the horse and buggy to the automobile. Wow, that's the kind of shift we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's a transportation revolution, yes, a complete transportation revolution. Okay. So to kind of put this in perspective, yeah, you know, we all remember, I think the jump from three G to four G. Suddenly we could actually like watch videos on our phones. Oh yeah, without wanting to like tear our hair out all those buffering wheels.
Speaker 2: Totally remember those days.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh man, But five G it's promising speeds that make even the most you know, like super advanced four G LTE whatever. Yeah, look like dial.
Speaker 2: Up, right exactly.
Speaker 1: So we're talking what like downloading a full HD movie in minutes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think minutes, not ours.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the kind of leap we're talking about.
Speaker 1: So how how is that even possible?
Speaker 2: Well, to understand that, we got to talk about spectrum.
Speaker 1: Okay, the spectrum. It's like I've heard it described as like a highway for data. The more lanes you have, the more data can flow freely.
Speaker 2: That's a good starting point. Yeah, okay, it's a helpful way to visualize it, but it's more nuanced than that. Okay, you see, five G isn't just about using more spectrum, it's about using higher frequencies. Okay, So we're talking about midband and high band spectrum that haven't really been widely used before.
Speaker 1: So why haven't we tapped into these frequencies before? What's the catch?
Speaker 2: Well, it comes down to physics. Basically, higher frequency signals they have a harder time traveling long distances okay, and penetrating obstacles like walls and buildings and stuff.
Speaker 1: So I would get around that.
Speaker 2: This is where things get really interesting from a technical standpoint.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Five G uses these smaller, more densely packed antennas, okay, and a technology called massive.
Speaker 1: MEMO massive MIMO.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it stands for multiple input and multiple output. Okay, it's a mouthful, but basically, imagine instead of one big antenna on a cell tower, right, you have dozens or even hundreds of smaller antennas all working together.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And this allows five G to focus the signal much more precisely, kind of like a laser beam directly to your device.
Speaker 1: So it's like a targeted beam of data exactly. It's called beam forming beam forming, okay.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't just improve coverage and speeds, but it also increases network capacity because you can have multiple beams going to multiple devices all at the same time.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. So Sprint they're already using some of this technology, right, Like they're laying the groundwork for five G with their current advanced four G LTE network exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're using techniques like carrier aggregation, which combines multiple lanes think of it that way, a spectrum to create a wider data highway.
Speaker 1: So it's like combining multiple highways into one like mega super highway for data exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And this is already boosting speeds and getting the network ready to handle all the demands that five G is going to bring.
Speaker 1: Right, because it's not just about speed, yeah right, it's about like handling a lot more than just downloading movies faster. And actually our source breaks it down in three main needs categories.
Speaker 2: They talk about UH enhanced Mobile broadband, which is all about you know, those super fast speeds we've been talking about. Okay, so that's like great for streaming high quality video.
Speaker 1: VR AR right, So anything where like LAG is just like not an option, not an option okay. And then there's massive machine type.
Speaker 2: Communication, right, massive MTC MTC Okay, Yeah, this is all about the Internet of things. Okay, So you know smart homes, connected cars, smart cities with sensors everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like everything's talking to everything else.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's about connecting potentially billions of devices.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: A lot of them only send small bits of data, but they need to be ultra reliable and enter efficient.
Speaker 1: So it's less about speed and more about like the sheer number of connections exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about handling a massive number of connections reliable okay.
Speaker 1: And then the last category, critical communications.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this where things get really serious.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: We're talking about applications where even a millisecond of delay could be catastrophic. Wow, things like self driving cars, remote surgery, industrial automation, right where.
Speaker 1: You need like that instantaneous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean near instantaneous response times and rock solid reliability.
Speaker 1: Okay. So that's a lot for a network to handle, it is, So, how does five G actually do all of this?
Speaker 2: Well, each of these applications, right, they have different requirements, and five G is designed to handle all of them. Okay on a single flexible network. Oh wow, and that's what makes it so powerful.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into the tech a little bit. Because our source talks about five G new radio. Is that like the magic ingredient five G.
Speaker 2: New Radio or five GNR for sut.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's the technology that makes all this five G magic happen. It's a completely new radio access technology designed specifically for five G and it uses a wider range of frequencies, including those high band frequencies we talked about, and it's built to handle the demands of all those different use cases we just discussed.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it's like it can do the super fast speeds, it can do the massive number of connections, and it can do the Yeah, it can do it all like ultra reliable, low latency stuff exactly.
Speaker 1: It's designed to be super flexible, wow, and adaptable.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what about It also mentions that it works with the existing four G networks, right, so we don't have to like rip everything out and start over.
Speaker 1: Right, that's a key point. Okay, five GNR can work alongside for G LTE, using the existing infrastructure to provide coverage while we gradually transition to a full five G network.
Speaker 2: So it's like a phased.
Speaker 1: Rollout exactly, smooth transition.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, now this is already getting pretty complex.
Speaker 1: But our source also mentions something called network slicing. Oh yeah, what exactly is that?
Speaker 2: Network slicing is one of the most revolutionary aspects of five G. I think it's like having multiple virtual networks all running on top of a single physical infrastructure.
Speaker 1: So like kind of like a like a virtual machine kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it like this. Okay, imagine a highway, right, but with dedicated lanes okay for different types of vehicles. So you've got trucks in one lane, cars and another, maybe motorcycles zipping along in a third lane.
Speaker 1: All right, I can picture that.
Speaker 2: And each lane has its own speed limit, its own rules of the road, and they all operate smoothly together without interfering with each other. Okay, that's kind of like network slicing.
Speaker 1: So you could have like one slice for video streaming, yeah, another one for like self driving cars, another one for like all those billions of IoT sensors exactly, all running on the same network, on.
Speaker 2: The same network.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, that's that's pretty mind blowing. It is, so to recap we've got the spectrum, we've got massive Mimo, we've got five G new radio, and we've got network slicing all working together, all these pieces working together to create this, to create this incredibly powerful.
Speaker 2: Incredibly powerful and versatile network.
Speaker 1: And versatile network.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's the foundation. Now let's talk about what we can actually do with this thing.
Speaker 2: Now the fun part begins. Yeah, we're going to explore the potential applications, okay, and how five G could transform our lives in countless ways.
Speaker 1: All right, well, let's hold that thought because we'll be exploring those applications in detail in the next part of our deep dive.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned absolutely, Welcome back to our deep dive into five G.
Speaker 2: We're ready to get into the applications now, right, Yeah, let's talk about what we can actually do with this amazing technology. Okay. Well, first, I think it's important to remember that five G isn't just one single technology, a whole.
Speaker 1: Bunch of innovations working together, like we talked about in the last part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we covered a lot of ground. Yes, sipanded spectrum, yeah, massive MIMO, five G new radio.
Speaker 1: All essential pieces of the puzzle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then of course, there was network slicing, which I'm still kind of wrapping my head around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Network slicing is pretty mind blowing, it is.
Speaker 2: It's like you're creating custom designed data highways. Yeah, for all these different applications, but they're all running on the same exact network infrastructure.
Speaker 1: It's all about tailoring the network performance to the specific needs of each application, right.
Speaker 2: Like having dedicated lanes for different types of vehicles, but on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think about a hospital, for example. Okay, you could have one network slice that's specifically for remote surgery, okay, guaranteeing ultra low latency and rock solid reliability.
Speaker 2: So there's no lag, no interruptions exactly.
Speaker 1: The surgeon needs to be in complete control right, right.
Speaker 2: And then you could have another slice that ensures smooth video streaming for patients.
Speaker 1: Okay, so everyone's getting what they.
Speaker 2: Need, yeah, without any interference.
Speaker 1: Without the network getting bogged down precisely. That's incredible, it is.
Speaker 2: And that's just one example.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's dive into some of the other potential applications that are source highlights.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 1: They paint a pretty exciting picture of the future.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 1: Starting with augmented and virtual reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, AR and VR could really take off with five G.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 2: The high bandwidth and low latency it means that those experiences could become incredibly immersive and interactive.
Speaker 1: It's like stepping into another world without leaving your living room exactly. Okay, So what about self driving cars? Everybody's talking about those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, self driving cars are definitely a hot topic, and five G is going to be crucial for making them a reality in what way? Well, think about it. These cars need to communicate with each other, right, They need to talk to the traffic infrastructure, and they need to be connected to the cloud.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about the car itself being smart.
Speaker 2: Exactly, It's about creating a whole intelligent transportation ecosystem.
Speaker 1: Where everything's talking to everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and five G enables that ecosystem by providing that high speed, low latency communication that's essential I see for things like real time traffic updates, obstacle detection, coordinated movement of vehicle.
Speaker 1: Right, so it's all about safety and efficiency exactly. Okay. What else, what about robots?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, five G could revolutionize robotics, Okay, by allowing us to control robots from anywhere in the world.
Speaker 1: Wow. With minimal lad that's like something out of science fiction.
Speaker 2: It is you could use robots and hazardous environments, perform complex tasks remotely, even provide assistance in healthcare.
Speaker 1: It's like having a highly skilled assistance. Yeah, that can be anywhere you needcisely. But I mean all of this, the self driving cars, the remote surgery, the robots, It all hinges on the network being incredibly dependable. Right.
Speaker 2: Reliability is paramount, especially for those critical applications where any interruption could have serious consequences.
Speaker 1: Right. So it can't just be fast, it has to be it has to be rock solid, rock solid, and that's one of the key advantages of five G.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's designed for ultra high reliability. That's good to know and availability.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's move on to smart cities.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our source paints a vision of the future where five G transforms urban environments.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty amazing vision.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What does it look like.
Speaker 2: Imagine a city where traffic flows smoothly because of intelligent traffic management systems. Okay, street lights adjust their brightness based on real time conditions.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Sensors are everywhere, monitoring air quality, alerting residents to potential hazards.
Speaker 1: So it's like the city's constantly adapting and responding exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a city that's truly connected and intelligent.
Speaker 1: It sounds incredibly efficient.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But with all these devices and systems connected, are their concerns about security and privacy?
Speaker 2: Those are definitely valid concerns, and it's something we need to be very careful about. Any new technology, especially one that involves increased connectivity and data collection, we need to be vigilant about security and privacy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what can we do well?
Speaker 2: Robust encryption, secure authentication, and careful dable management practices are all essential.
Speaker 1: So it's about building security into the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it can't be an afterthought. It has to be baked into the design of the network from the.
Speaker 1: Ground up, and it has to constantly.
Speaker 2: Evolve exactly because the threats are constantly evolving too.
Speaker 1: Right. So we've talked about self driving cars, smart cities, remote surgery. What are some of the other possibilities that five G could unlock.
Speaker 2: Oh, the possibilities are almost endless. Think about agriculture. Five G could revolutionize farming with things like precision agriculture techniques.
Speaker 1: Wow, so we're talking about like sensors in the fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sensors that monitor soil conditions, water levels, crop health.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And then you've got health care. Five G could enhance healthcare with remote patient monitoring and telemedicine.
Speaker 1: So people in rural areas could have access to specialists. Zad about having to travel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could really improve access to care.
Speaker 1: And then there's entertainment.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, five G could transform entertainment too, Okay, so think about immersive experiences, personalized content delivery, streaming on the go without any lag.
Speaker 1: So it's like taking all the things we do now with entertainment, yeah, and making them even better and making.
Speaker 2: Them more accessible, more immersive, more personalized.
Speaker 1: It sounds like five G could touch every aspect of our lives. It really could, in one way or another.
Speaker 2: It's a lot to take in, it is. It's mind boggling, but it's important to remember that this is just the beginning, right, We're only scratching the surface of what's possible with five G.
Speaker 1: I'm already excited, me too, But before we get too carried away with our visions of the future, Yeah, let's take a step back. And consider some of the broader societal implications.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's important.
Speaker 1: With this technol logical shift.
Speaker 2: We need to think about the big picture.
Speaker 1: So that's what we'll delve into in the next part of our deep dive.
Speaker 2: Sounds good looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're back for the final part of our five G deep dive.
Speaker 2: Time to look at the big picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked about the technology, the potential applications, right, all the cool stuff. Yeah, we even touched on security and privacy.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, the important stuff.
Speaker 1: But now it's time to think about the bigger question, like how is this revolutionary technology going to shape society as a whole.
Speaker 2: It's a question that goes way beyond just faster internet speeds, that's for sure, right, it's about it's about how five G could impact everything, you know, from economic opportunities to access to education, healthcare, all of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. One of the things that I think is really promising is the potential to bridge the digital divide.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: You know, we always talk about how technology can be so transformative, but what if there are huge chunks of the population that are just left behind because they don't have access.
Speaker 2: That's a huge issue and five G could really be a game changer there.
Speaker 1: Okay, how so.
Speaker 2: Well because of its ability to reach rural and underserved communities. Imagine a world where your geographic location doesn't determine your access to quality education or telehealth services, or even the ability to participate in the global economy.
Speaker 1: That would be amazing.
Speaker 2: It would be transformative.
Speaker 1: So it's about leveling the playing field.
Speaker 2: Exactly, giving everyone a chance to connect and contribute.
Speaker 1: And not just connect, right, but also like be empowered to actually do more with that connection exactly exactly. Our source also talks about like the impact on industries like manufacturing, you know, oh yeah, the factories of the future where everything's connected, everything's talking to each other.
Speaker 2: It's all about efficiency and automation.
Speaker 1: Okay, so walk me through that. How would that work well?
Speaker 2: With five G? You can have real time data collection and analysis from every machine, every sensor on the factory floor.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that allows for things like predictive maintenance.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you can anticipate problems before they happen exactly.
Speaker 2: You can optimize workflows and even quickly adapt to changing customer demands.
Speaker 1: So it's like making the whole manufacturing process smarter and more responsive exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a whole new level of efficiency and flexibility.
Speaker 1: It sounds like it could be a catalyst for a whole new industrial revolution.
Speaker 2: It really could.
Speaker 1: But with any major technological shift like this, right, I mean, they're bound to be disruptions.
Speaker 3: Of course, there will be challenges, Yeah, Like what what kind of disruptions are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Well, as automation becomes more sophisticated, right, and more widespread, some jobs are inevitably going to be displaced.
Speaker 1: Okay, So people are going to need to adapt and learn new skills exactly.
Speaker 2: Education and retraining programs will be essential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to thrive in this new economy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we can't leave anyone behind.
Speaker 1: Okay. So beyond just the economic implications, yeah, what about the broader societal impact of living in a world that's like hyper connected?
Speaker 2: That's a big question, right, How will our relationships change? How will we consume information? How will we even define privacy in a world where data is constantly being collected and analyzed.
Speaker 1: It's like a whole new set of challenges that we've never really faced before.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's something we need to start.
Speaker 1: Thinking about now, right, because the technology is moving fast, it is, and we need to be prepared for the implications.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we've covered a lot of ground in this deep dive we have, so let's try to distill the key takeaways, like what are the big things that people should remember about five G?
Speaker 2: Okay, So first, I think it's clear that five G is a transformative technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It has the potential to reshape every aspect of our.
Speaker 1: Lives, absolutely, And it's not just about faster.
Speaker 2: Internet, right, it goes way beyond that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's about connecting everything and everyone in ways that we can only just begin to imagine.
Speaker 2: And that's both exciting and a little bit daumping, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Because along with all all this promise comes some real challenges Exactly.
Speaker 2: We need to be mindful of the potential risks, the security and privacy concerns, right.
Speaker 1: And we need to make sure that everyone has access to this.
Speaker 2: Technology absolutely, Equitable access is essential.
Speaker 1: So I guess the future of five G is not predetermined.
Speaker 2: Right, It's up to us to shape that future.
Speaker 1: It's like a canvas waiting to be painted by our choices, our values.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy.
Speaker 1: Our vision for a better tomorrow and I think that's a.
Speaker 2: Good note to end on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 2: It's been a great conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for joining us for this deep dive into the world of five G. It's been a pleasure and until X's time, keep exploring, keep learning, and keep diving deep