Speaker 2: To your face.
Speaker 1: I'm Brian A, I'm Jeff Dam, I'm Billy D. And we are here for our I don't know if I'm an Innie or an Audi. I don't know. At any point in my life, I'm definitely a split person.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking about this the other day, as Billy has sort of become the shared universus severance experts since you watched each episode like fucking fifteen times. But the fact that you are already going by Billy D is so perfect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some believe it.
Speaker 2: Really it really works.
Speaker 3: Me and not only that, I had one of those belly button hernias, so I went from an Innie to an Audi back to an Innie.
Speaker 2: I would consider myself an Audi because I have to be much different.
Speaker 1: Wait are you saying that right now you're an Audi on this show or just in general you're an Audi?
Speaker 2: Well, this might be a third I might be. It might be a real JEMA situation for me, you know. But I would say the way I react and act on this podcast is pretty accurate to who I am out in the real world. When I'm at work, sometimes you can't be the way we are here.
Speaker 1: I think I'm the same person. Maybe at work and at home. No, I'm two different people. I'm three different people. I'm definitely work Brian home Goo Podcast Goo, and I would only imagine, like, you know, someone trying to discourage me as like your home Brian A collects turtles.
Speaker 2: No, no, it would be your Audi like snaps. Your Audi is very sleepy.
Speaker 1: Your Audi was in a Madden League until he realized that it was just too much and he had to quit.
Speaker 2: Goo. By the way, thank you for finally showing up to review Severance with me. I reviewed season one with Keith and Davey because no one had really seen it yet except for Keith, Davy, myself, and Billy. That was also it also coincided with your trip to Italy, in which you didn't end up going on because as you got COVID.
Speaker 1: First time I got COVID. Also, the first time I was supposed to go to Italy. We eventually went to Italy. Second time didn't bring the sun. I'm actually pretty happy with this because I don't know how that would have worked the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. So to bring you back three years ago and season one came out, I remember Keith looking for someone to watch the show, so we could talk to with he found Billy. They were talking it up, saying, it's like the best show on television right now. So I ended up started starting to watch season one the day the season one finale was coming out. I ended up finishing like overnight finishing. I watched all nine episodes of season one in like ten hours. It was fucking great. I loved binging it, and after that point I was great to watch because I think you and Keith did an episode on it, and then me, Keith and David did an episode on it like two weeks later or something like that, so it's good to have a little bit of in between.
Speaker 3: It's a great show to binge, but I don't know if I would want to ever binge it from here on out.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Also, this must be COVID fog, because I thought that you had Billy on our show to discuss sever and season one.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, You've been saying that for the last couple.
Speaker 1: Of weeks, and no one corrected me until Mac today, Max.
Speaker 3: Like you, No, we did the we did the Breaking Bad sequel show together the end of that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, whatever. But I listened to the episode of season one and it wasn't you. It was Mekeean Davy And I was like, it was so confident that he convinced me that it was you. Uh Severed Season two an Apple TV plus.
Speaker 1: You do not know how our show works?
Speaker 3: What you gotta hit the intro? One?
Speaker 2: Goo three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, John three, King of Queen.
Speaker 1: Mal Street Entertainment. I'm good and I'm Mac and we're the Mac can Go program. We bring you an these audies and all friendships in between.
Speaker 2: And today we are bringing you You know what why this show works for so many people is you know, Inny and Audi is very relatable because of what we just talked about in the open, how different some people are at work and at home, and how sometimes you just have to tolerate friends at work. You know, you have work friends and then you have real life friends. And so I think this show is relatable on a lot of leaves.
Speaker 1: Well, also the whole thought of wanting to separate your entire life work and home.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, make someone that I don't know that I won't remember, do all the shitty stuff, and then I get to enjoy the funds.
Speaker 1: It's like Adam Sandler's Click all over again. I'm sure Christopher Walking pointed that out several times on set. He is the crossover of the two.
Speaker 3: I am very much the Audi always, except when I meet somebody for the first time. I'm very much in any which sucks on first aids because I usually just I'm terrible because I'm not myself.
Speaker 1: People are always so disappointed when they're expecting to meet a certain version of me and then they meet quiet kind of sitting in a corner like this.
Speaker 3: Oh, my friend Kevin was pissing.
Speaker 1: He was pissed. I'm sorry. I put all of my energy into this forty five minute program, slash. I put a lot of energy into work that when I'm out of here, I am tired. I am nothing but tired, and I don't want to talk to anybody.
Speaker 2: On the program. So passionate, convicted of whatever he's talking about in his regular life. Eh, you're just like, yeah, sure, why not?
Speaker 1: The best thing is about most things in life. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Uh. Today, boys, we are back together. I don't remember last time the three of us all did in an episode, but I'm happy.
Speaker 1: To We built a house.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, We are discussing Severed Season two, a season of television three years in the making good. When did you finally watch season one? Was it recently?
Speaker 1: Yes? I started binging season one so that I was caught up up by season three or I'm sorry, episode three of season two. Also, who's on the program today? Did we introduce Billy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, Billy De's are Power Body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's from the Pineapple Yeah.
Speaker 2: And uh, what's the other one?
Speaker 3: PCP? Whenever scream comes at right?
Speaker 1: Alrightp that's right, whenever Scream is available, Billy's doing a podcast.
Speaker 2: And of course, if you're tuning in here, I'm sure you're listening to hashtag dork, where Billy's been on there every week, reviewing and talking about Severance weekly. So he's deep into the so thing. He's certainly a much bigger expert on this show than anyone else.
Speaker 1: Whenever I had a question during the season, I would message Billy being like, hey, I think that this Annie is actually an audi or this audi is doing something, and then he would go and watch a very specific either elevator scene or a hallway scene to look at the movement or like how people's shoulders are, to give a little deeper dive, and then either say maybe or you might be right. He never once told me he's ever like, oh yeah, definitely, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I take out the iPad and I just figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing about this season, right and the show. It's so well written that things aren't clear until their outright said so right, you could kind of lean either way, and we're gonna get into a big thing in the finale here where I think I feel one way and maybe you two don't. It's not explicit until they actually tell you.
Speaker 1: It's also not just well written, it's well thought out, because you can still write things that you don't think out all the way this show is clearly and I'm hoping, and we'll get deeper into this later on, that we have a conclusion either by the end of this next season or maybe one more after that. But the further that you try and stretch this idea, you might start to lose control over what's going on.
Speaker 3: So far, though, the connective tissue that holds everything together is ultra strong. Everything's lining up, and you're just like, they really thought of that then, Like Dieter Egan, which I thought was one hundred percent only in season two, appears like a like a billboard and a forest in season one at some point, so they were so far ahead of this shit.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. Now for anyone listening right now, you probably have watched it. So but if you haven't, we gave you our elevator face. Should we give them an elevator pitch of the show? It's to me, it's essentially, you know, fifty percent of Lost DNA with a little bit of like get Out and some sci fi thriller stuff twin peaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, west World season one.
Speaker 2: West World is good.
Speaker 3: Sprinkle in a little bit of office fun there too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, more so in season one than this season.
Speaker 1: I think. Very simple is that if you like to weekly watch a television show where you need to pay attention to what's going on and try and follow the breadcrumbs to solve the mystery, this is forty dog stuff. I just kind of tip my hand there, but this is the best of if you're trying to solve not only a mystery, but a fucking weird mystery, this is that type of show.
Speaker 3: Lost was one of my favorite shows of all time. This is already outpacing it by a wide, wide margin. And the first two seasons of Lost are phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Lost you know, probably halfway through season two you were like, I don't know if they know where they're going with this stuff. Where here it seems like and I'm hopeful for there is a clear end in sight, and we were left off at the end of the season. I really hope it doesn't go four seasons. I hope it's three seasons and we're and we're done with you know, I think we need one more season, and that one more ten episode season should get us to where we need to go.
Speaker 1: This show also has an advantage over say a Lost, where Lost was tied to ABC and they said, you have to give us a certain amount of episodes for a certain amount of seasons, and they kept on having to go with it, Whereas this is a streamer on a platform that I thin I think just wants the best quality possible, so much so that every year Apple TV Plus loses one billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to that point, I actually do believe Lost was conceived as a three season show, so it got fucked up from that point on.
Speaker 3: It was so wildly successful they were like, you gotta give us more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also that was twenty four episodes of hour long TV compared to nine and season one.
Speaker 1: And ABC said, without you, we'd be lost.
Speaker 2: Severed. Season two of course on Apple tv Plus pretty much the only reason I have an Apple tv Plus subscription at the moment. Again, we'd waited damn near three full years for this season. It is a tv MA drama, mystery, sci fi thriller, and I think it hits on all those aspects tremendously. It's it doesn't just dip its toes in any of those. If you just said it was just a drama, it would qualify just a mystery, it would qualify sci fi thriller. Same thing. It does all those things amazingly. This season was ten episodes, totally four hundred and ninety seven minutes or nearly fifty minutes an episode. It's pretty consistent with season one. Season one had nine episodes on roddy t Season two ninety five percent from the critics, only seventy percent from the audience.
Speaker 1: I'm actually fine with that because I think a show like this, you don't want everyone to like it. You don't want this to be for everybody. Smarter programming isn't always for everybody.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, though, because season one is ninety seven percent critics eighty five percent audience. I find it weird that it's lower.
Speaker 1: They got weirder, Yes, they got weirder.
Speaker 2: They dive into what you wanted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people, I always talk to you. They don't really enjoy it as much as I do. Say, where are all the answers? It's like reading a book getting to the middle and being like, why don't I know the end of the story yet It's like, well, because it's not done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're two thirds of the way.
Speaker 1: The Empire Strikes Back has more questions than answers.
Speaker 3: Right right, You got to get to the end. And they gave the best thing about this show is that when they answer a question, ten spring out of that one answer.
Speaker 1: Also season one, they produced the entire first season and put out the first season having no idea what the reception would be if people liked it, so they might have had it a little bit tighter, thinking this might only be a one season show, whereas after that first season they said, we know we have at least two seasons here. We know we have more story to tell, So they are stretching it a bit differently, and they went a little bit on the weirder side here.
Speaker 2: Well, season one also is because it's an introduction in the beginning of a story, you're dealing with that natural build up right in a wildly awesome conclusion, Whereas this season starts up there and it is mostly up there, but there are some dips, so I could see if you're expecting it to be forty dogs every episode, maybe you're mildly disappointed in the season. But I felt like this kept up the tension that we built to at the end of season one in every episode. It was there in every single episode, even in the Cobell episode that a lot of people didn't care for, and to that point on Metacritic, eighty six season two compared to eighty three and season one.
Speaker 3: And the thing I loved about this season is take a show like Lost, and basically any show that's procedural like Lost, had the same formula. This code switched almost every single episode where it was all in these all out. He's a mix, just Kobell, so you never knew what you were in store for every Thursday or Friday night whenever you watched it, and that was always a fun ride for me. What are we getting tonight?
Speaker 2: This show is created by Dan Erickson, directed and produced by Ben Stiller. Those are the two driving forces behind this show. You also have executive producers Ericson Arquette, Patrisa Arquette, Jackie Cone, Adam Scott, and Nicholas Weinstock synopsis of Severance, which makes more sense for season one than I guess season two. But this is all we They don't update, you know, never update them out of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mark leads a team of office workers whose memories have been surgically divided between their work and personal lives. When I'm astereiou colleague appears outside of work ped it begins a journey to discover the truth about their jobs. Now, before we get into uh spoilers even get further, I will say PD and reintegration ends up taking a massive back seat at the end of the season, and I wonder if it was all just to like bring Kobell's stuff back in. I was a little annoyed by.
Speaker 1: Let's wait for spoilers on that, because I mean, I have thoughts I have we have no resolution, like in like, we don't know anything. Let's just get it out there right now, US three, we don't really know anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true, And to Billy's point. When we do get a resolution, five to ten more questions, pop pop, and I'm just so fucking confused the whole.
Speaker 1: It's like when you got the head off a dragon.
Speaker 2: Yes, executive exactly. I think this is the first show in a really long time. I was trying to remember the last one where I like watched it, thought I understood it, then would watch a video breakdown and then became more confused, but in a good way, because now I'm thinking, oh, it could be this, it could be that. That's like to goo'se point at the beginning. If you're looking for a show where you want to dive fully into this, is it.
Speaker 1: Like if you want a show where you have to watch it with a notebook? Right there, I do really psychopath.
Speaker 2: Bear with me with this cast list because it's long and they're all actually.
Speaker 1: Just rip through it. Everyone's good. We're not going to stop you.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Adam Scott as Mark Scout, Britt Lauer as Helena Egan, Zach Cherry as Dylan George, John Taturo as Irving Bailiff, Trammel Tillman as Seth Million.
Speaker 1: I will stop you right there, Sorry, I said, I wasn't going to do it. But if I were to point at one reason why this season is better than season one, if I was to make that statement, it would be because of all the Milt Chick stuff that we got in this I thought his character was just so magnetic and everything that he did. You have no idea what the reasoning is, and I just want to know more and more about this character. I prefer him over co Bell from season one.
Speaker 3: Oh MVP.
Speaker 2: Absolutely Again, Let's save the remarks for the end.
Speaker 1: That was the one that I had.
Speaker 2: Jen Tullock is Devin Scout Hale, It's Mark's sister. Dyken Lockman as gem A Scout Slash ms Casey, Patricia arquettez Harmony Cobell, Michael Chernis is Rick and Hale, Christopher Walking as Bert Goodman, Mark Gella is Keuer, Egan Sarah Bach gets introduced this season as Miss Swang. Sidney Cole Alexander as Natalie klin olaf dari Olufsen Hell of a Name gets introduced this season as Mister Drummond. Karen Aldridge is back as Asal Ragabi, Michael Siberry Sibbery as Jamie Egan. That's Helen his father. Mere Weaver is introduced as Gretchen George. Robbie Benson is introduced as doctor Mauer. Sandra Bernhard introduced as Nurse Cecily. Gwendolyn Christy is back as Louren, She's the goat Lady. Claudie Robinson back as Felicia from O and D. We get introduced to John Noble as Fields and Jane Alexander Cissy Cobell and exclusively in the first episode and spilled over a little bit to the second one. We get to three new office mates, Bob Ballaban as Mark, w Aliah Shakat as Gwendolen Why, and Stefano Carante Karenate as Dario r Who. I'm stunned literally just did one offs.
Speaker 1: So do you want to just dive into our nonagone and go right to spoilers because.
Speaker 2: Characters? OK, So you mentioned why this season gets kicked up over season one. I agree, Milchick was a driving force behind that. To me, it's britt Lauer. I've never seen someone pulled double duty the way she does in this show, especially in the first half of the season where the whole audience she's acting it so well the whole audience is like, I don't know if that's Helly or Helena, Like there there are signs and there are things.
Speaker 1: Well, I told you that it was I. You didn't tell me it was I did, I told you, I told you.
Speaker 3: Still kind of don't know. She is so good at the I've.
Speaker 1: Told you to watch her shoulders Billy.
Speaker 2: But the fact that she has these different character notes for the two characters is awesome when you really break it down. And then I still think the greatest mystery and driving force behind the show right now is her character. And I think that's gonna play out in season three. So that was my main thing to kick flip off your mil check thing the other thing, and we'll get into it a little bit in spoilers. We get Miss Swang, who really just stands as someone to round out Kobell's backstory.
Speaker 3: It felt like, ultimately, Yeah, she was good. I loved I said this a bunch of the other podcast. I love the eye acting from her. She made you uncomfortable every time she was on. I thought she was good. I'm hoping you see her again because they're sending her to that special school that I bet you they send all of those people to so maybe she'll be back in season three.
Speaker 1: Billy, I'm gonna ask moving forward that you don't mention the other podcast. You are on this podcast. This is the Billy that we want. I want you to have no thought of the other podcast.
Speaker 3: This is Audi Billy.
Speaker 2: And then a couple of things to remember from season one, and I think we kind of forget this. It gets lost in the shuffle. Mark only joins Lumen and gets severed to cope with the loss of his wife. So when we talk about the finale of this season, we're gonna have to remember that there could be some other people behind what's going on to get Mark into Lumen in the first place. Number two. Season one did very small world building. This season world built the shit out of whatever world were, and they did a great job continuing to build the egans in Lumen. I love that aspect.
Speaker 1: Is this spoiler ish, but I still have no idea what the aesthetic of this world is, Like we see what it is, we see, I guess we see how like there's there's no time description on really anything in this world, either at Lumen or outside. Everyone's still dry. Having these cars from like the eighties and the nineties, but we have smartphones. Yeah, so let's save that for spoilers. But like, that's something that I thought that they might start to answer, and they still haven't done much with.
Speaker 3: They have Dylan going car shopping in one of the episodes, like what is he gonna pick out a new ninety five? Jenim, what's going on?
Speaker 1: What date? Is it? The times right now?
Speaker 2: And then again to refresh anyone's memories because it was three years, but I don't know how you could forget. We finished season one with Marx yelling she's alive, referring to Gemma, and then we cut to black and we waited three years. And I think again, what we already mentioned why season two might be superior is that note that we leave on, like the pulse of the season is up there the whole time.
Speaker 1: Also the finale of this season. Really you need to make a decision, you do, not what's on the screen, because on the screen for season one, it's an answer. What we have in this one is we have an action that then you either feel a certain way about you can't stand or you kind of understand, like it's it's more about like this is more of a talking point of a finale where like you're gonna have an opinion on it the finale in season one, it's pretty cut and dry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, that's a good way to summarize it.
Speaker 1: Want to do the nonagon, Yeah, let's do all right. Fun factor and this is really this is the funnest show going right now when it comes to watching it week to week and in the six days between seeing it, trying to understand and put pieces together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a it's a it's a great show to investigate things and like try to find stuff out without the help other people, and then you inevitably need it. I will say the plot of this season decidedly less fun than in season one. A lot more hide thinks in season one.
Speaker 1: I'll also say too, that this is a show that like you need to think about, like you think, think out what you think might happen, but then like you don't want to throw it at someone else because it might be stupid, Like you don't want.
Speaker 3: Someone else to think that you're stupid if it stakes. This was the most fun I've had in a long time, because it's been so long. Maybe the boys hit this every once in a while. A few years ago where I was excited for Thursday nights at nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: I would say, WandaVision was the last one where like there was the intrigue at the end of every episode where they led you into the next one. This is this is a better television show. Though, I'll just say that satisfactor, how satisfied are you? And the finale and we're not going to go deep into it right now, we'll get into it in spoilers had the most of me raising my eyebrows or going like this, give them like the whoopee glasses of like lower my head and saying that what like what what is happening? Yet everything builds to something that then you say at the end, I either like it, I understand it. I can't fucking stand that. Guy.
Speaker 3: I was cheering at points and I was yelling for people to go into rooms at points I was I was extremely satisfied and like active during the episode.
Speaker 2: You were like an audience member of our cinem I was like, are they doing that?
Speaker 1: Is that what they're doing right now? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, A truly great finale, and I think our next twenty five to thirty minutes of conversation will decide whether I was satisfied by it or not, because I would say, going in, I'm not satisfied. But that's okay. I liked it, I like where it's going, but I'm actually tremendously frustrated with what happened.
Speaker 1: But that's what they want from you. They want that visceral reaction to what happened. Yes, exactly, borometer, were you bored during this season? Now? I will say this, and this is a nitpick, the Kobal episode. While I think the final five ish minutes did give you something satisfactory at the end, I did find it to be boring, but it's something that you do need on the show. The one thing that I if I'm allowed, I'm gonna winning writer what I would have done on that episode, because it was also the shortest episode of the season. I might have cut a b story into it. I might have just had maybe it go away from what she was doing a couple times to not have you focus entirely on that story. But that's just me. I'm a Nobel winning prize running writer.
Speaker 3: And an orator right there. No, I don't think it was super boring, even that episode. I think they did it purposefully to kind of slow you down and then speed you up. But I will say anybody who has a problem with it being like that, I get it. It. It wasn't the most riveting comparatively, but I kept pausing every five minutes to be like, all right, how much time we have left? Is what's gonna happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In my mind, everything in this show means something, at least hopefully, So I was not bored at all. I was actually like, because I've been I've been waiting for it, Like koe Bell's built up so much in season one and then she kind of disappears, so like, we know she's coming back in and we need to know more about her. I was actually like, oh, I now understand her motivations, completely understand why she's so attached to things, and she's going to be a meaningful character big time in season three. So I thought it was not only necessary but actually fascinating for the character.
Speaker 1: Plus, you love huffing paint, so that fit you.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a big, big pastime of mine.
Speaker 1: Halloween. Will this wane over time and shows like this, I do feel it is gonna happen because you're losing that excitement of going from week to week and seeing it for the first time. So that's just a it's a natural thing for a show like this.
Speaker 2: For me, it won't.
Speaker 3: I have so many, you know, like potential future girlfriends. I'm gonna show this too, hopefully, and I'll be just as.
Speaker 1: Successful in your accounts? Is that in your dating accounts? I'm gonna show you severance pretty much, Yeah, which is what Dahmer did when he sat all of his girls flipped on the TV to a certain television.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I said this in that podcast chat or maybe to you, gou, but my hope for this the end of the season was that it kind of ends up like the final three seasons of Breaking Bad three, four, five, or maybe four and five, where it's a massive explosion of a conclusion, but it is a little unsatisfying or is a little incomplete, and then we get an additional season that's a little separate but is also great in and of itself, and I think we may have gotten that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this feels more like the end of season three of Breaking Bad, because it seasons three and four felt like one long season or one long story. Yeah, whereas four to five you felt like you got that conclusion at the end of four.
Speaker 3: Season four of Breaking Bad didn't have a lot of places to go where I feel like this has a ton of place you can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think maybe it's more comparable to season three of Breaking Bad.
Speaker 1: Then let's go to a quarter world. Does this movie or is this television show better than the nineteen ninety five classic water World?
Speaker 2: Get that cot out of my face?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 1: Kevin Costner should pop up in this show, though preferably as a mermaid. When life gives you plemings, you make plemonade, And I ask you, Mack, who did that?
Speaker 2: Been a hard time deciding here, so maybe you guys can help me out with the plumbingade here. Every time Natalie pops up, he's great, and there's still a mystery surrounding her. Every scene Gretchen was in with Dylan was awesome. She acted her ass off. Doctor Mauer is terrifying, but also like you're intrigued as to why he so invested in certain things. Fields pops up for one episode and you're like, there's so many things going on here that are completely unexplained. And then you also had walkins Bert that only popped up a couple times this season, so maybe could qualify, as I would.
Speaker 3: Say Bert if it's if he counts. If not, definitely Fields Fields killed me because we're using protection down there, I'll tell.
Speaker 2: You that, and because there's still something there that like doesn't get really addressed at all in the finale. It's almost like purposefully unspoken about. So the Fields in Burt thing might be the leader there.
Speaker 1: Pants tensity, excite bike mania, what got you going from this show? It so like the last half hour of the season of that, like that is pure pants tent, whether it be confusing boners or exciting boners, it's really it is all pants tent. But there is some dialogue in this season, mainly by Milchick that fucking killed me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the miltcheck stuff was great, But I'm telling you one of the more satisfying moments in recent television history is when Irving is drowning Helly and Seth has to take out the walkie talkie.
Speaker 1: Do it, Seth?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was so good. It was like I got like chills watching it. I was so happy, so satisfied because us as viewers, especially US three, had sniffed that out. But there are a lot of people that didn't, and that was must have been a mind blowing moment for him where it's just really satisfying for us.
Speaker 3: The cold Harbor room entrance and that little exit from there. That was it for me because that's what you're waiting for and you got it.
Speaker 2: And then you also have a couple other things in here, like every time we go deeper in this lumin building and property, you're like, what's what are the possibilities here? I loved the Mark conversation with himself and the finale that was great as well some of.
Speaker 3: The best editing I've ever seen storytelling wise, it was brilliant.
Speaker 2: It was awesome. And then even though Goo maybe didn't care for the episode, what the Kobel episode gives us informationally is kind of a pantch tent.
Speaker 1: I didn't say that I did not care for it. I said, if I'm allowed to nitpick on this hour long podcast, that's what I said, with sure, sure, Sure. Also, I think maybe the hardest that I have laughed at anything in a long time is when Miltchik is asked or told to apologize for using a big word Max credit Union, Max, who are you giving credit to.
Speaker 2: To me, it's an easy, easy decit in here. Britt Lauer pulling double duty and purposefully trying to throw off the audience and the people in the show was unbelievable, and like again at the end, there's a big common station to be had about what's actually going on there. I just think she was amazing. If she doesn't win an Emmy for her role this season, we riot.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna see multiple emmys from the cast. I think you might see three emmys. Adam Scott. What's the fellow's name that plays Milchik, Trammel, Tillman, I would say him, and then Helly. I think all three of them will.
Speaker 2: I wonder if she gets supporting her lead. She should be a lead, but she might end up being.
Speaker 1: It might be supporting.
Speaker 3: She should be up for lead. You can have a female and a male lead.
Speaker 1: Right could the best supporting actor? Could they lose votes to each other? Is it like MVP?
Speaker 2: No, because I think because it's probably female male right.
Speaker 1: So now what I'm saying though, is I think that like Dylan g and Tudor Row also need to be considered as well.
Speaker 3: That happened a lot and lost yeah, people would get like a massive cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to that point as well, through the first four episodes, Irving was the MVP.
Speaker 1: He was. He was amazing in that. And I because the season we say, we say the season is long, it's only ten episodes, but because the season is you know, longer than what we got, like you almost forgot.
Speaker 2: The episodes, but it's like eight or nine hours, you know.
Speaker 1: It's also like it's a lot to ingest in your brain as well, so like you almost forget about tut Row in this season.
Speaker 2: It's a good point.
Speaker 3: And I would say if you did a tabulation of Milchek's time on screen, it's probably pretty low. He does a lot with a little in that episode where he's just streaming in the Mira. He's in that episode for like five minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unbelievable job done.
Speaker 1: Are you saying right now that he's a bit of a beatle juice, he's a bit of an animal lecter.
Speaker 3: He's not probably tallied more than fifteen minutes in any given episode, maybe say Woa Woa's hollow. He's only in those little scenes and he is standing out above everybody.
Speaker 2: That's a very strong point for.
Speaker 1: Those of you Tarty to the Mac and Goo party. We rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. We just talked about all of this. I think this is the best when it comes to week to week intrigue. This is forty dogs. The acting is amazing, The thought in this show is amazing. The writing is very good. It's funny, it's intriguing. It's just weird enough. It does sometimes I'm not in love with the goat stuff. We're gonna find out more about the goat stuff, I think, but this is just good. Put your phone down, shut the fuck up. If you're sitting with someone else, we're watching Severance.
Speaker 2: I'm not ready to give it forty for a couple of reasons. But if you go back to Halloween and we're talking about breaking bad, how the next couple seasons build into what those seasons built, maybe it does go up a dog. My initial reaction was thirty eight. I gave Season one thirty six. I wanted to say thirty eight on this. I might be thirty nine because it has dominated my brain space and my mind so much since I've watched the finale. But there's also few things I actually don't like, and we'll get into it in spoilers, but again they could be purposeful. We just don't know that yet. So I'll go thirty nine with the possibility of it going up or down a dog.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go forty one just to even and op for everybody. It's perfect and not only all the things that Goo said about this show. This cinematography and editing is world class, some of the best I've ever seen. The Gema flashback episode was one of the best television episodes period, from every aspect of it, literally every aspect was beautiful.
Speaker 2: That reminded me of the what was an episode three of The Last of Us when they tell that love story within that world too?
Speaker 1: Like that was that was next Live also started the season with that running sequence that took them like five months. That was completely worth it. What a way to start the season and set up the season too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so to you, I'm not like so the quality of the show is there. However, when you when you're dealing with like sci fi and some time slipping, sometimes things might not connect. And that's all I'm leaving open there is.
Speaker 3: I'm going to be a rationally mad in like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: What a way to sit on the fence by the way being like, I'm thirty nine, but I could be forty.
Speaker 2: It's the best season of television I watched this season one of the Last of Us. Last of Us was a forty dog season.
Speaker 1: It's okay to have two forty dog seasons.
Speaker 2: I agree. I don't know if you was there for me.
Speaker 1: Shall we get to spoilers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's spiler spilers episodes real quick. If you really want full episode breakdowns, go listen to Billy on hashtag door the Other Billy literally they did it weekly. We'll name the episode real quick. If you want to chime in with something here, please do uh. The season opener was Hello and Miss Kobell. This is where Mark comes into the office with a new team.
Speaker 1: The opening running sequence is amazing in there, and I did think that at some point in the season they would bring back that other cast of characters to do something. But I'm also final with them using them as just like a throwaway and they don't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Great easter egg though, for maybe when she's like our our robots, like we're animatronic and they moved and then in the last episode he's moving around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good point. I didn't even catch that episode two, Goodbye Miss selvig Audi, Mark contemplates the meaning of a message. Looman is grappling with the fallout from the overtime contingency, and what we also find out in these first two episodes is they straight up lied to Mark. It hasn't been five months, you know, there was they didn't make it into the paper, like they're just trying to, you know, get Mark back to work.
Speaker 3: This was the biggest o shit in moments besides the end of season one, of the whole series to this point, because you're finding out so much about everybody, especially like Dylan and Milcheck and what's going on with them. This was a great episode, one of I would say the top four of the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the early the first four episodes is a lot of them trying to build the trust back up between each other, Dylan having the existential crisis of like what is the point of what I'm doing in here? And you also find out the backstory of him like kind of being a loser, yeah, not having that same personality on the outside knowing, and I think his character really does sell the fact that it's two different people, it's an inside and an outside and they have nothing to do with each other, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's funny to think about too, like you would say that Mark Helly and Irving, although their innies and outies are different, a lot of the same character notes, whereas Doing's they were completely different. And from the beginning of season one to the ends of season two, his any probably changes the most.
Speaker 3: Well, he seems like he was beaten down by a wife and children, and he used to be like it's.
Speaker 1: Who among us? No also, and well, we also got these first couple episodes of so you're saying he's a night god. No, oh, yes, Tudoro kind of slipping into like a walk in a little bit when he was doing it. But the two of them on the screen together later on was also great.
Speaker 2: Episode three, Who was Alive? The Squad's all back together at Lumen uh, and they're like, finally all on the same page, trying to figure out what Lumen could be up to. But more and more in the back of your mind, you're like, Helly's Helena's behind enemy lions here, this is Lena, this is not Helly. So they need to watch what they're doing and saying you sure about that? Woes hollow episode four. This is the retreat they go on, which I guess presumably we have to assume it's in the building somewhere. I don't think they're outside.
Speaker 3: I don't know. The building goes forever. That's also what we discovered because I guarantee you it goes to the Egans house when they show that shot. It goes forever.
Speaker 1: They also have the protocols where they can switch them to the innies on the outside as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like with some of the physics of what's going on on the outside. It doesn't feel like it's outside, But again, we don't know what actual world we're in. This is where Mark fucks Helena and you we're like, oh, he's getting flashbacks of Gemma. But more importantly, this is where Irving finally outs Helly as Helena because he says, and I think we should remember this when we get to the finale, Helly was never cruel and it's such a It's it's not like something that she like, it's who Helly is. And I know once we get to the finale and he's are making a change in general, but I think we should remember that also.
Speaker 1: While this show gets horny in a couple of these episodes. This is one of the unsexiest shows of all time.
Speaker 2: In terms of like colors and what they're wearing.
Speaker 1: In terms of like the sex, it's not very sexy.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cold, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Thought it was pretty hot.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? That was pretty accurate. Last about thirty seconds under a tables Trojan's horse Irving's gone. Milchik gets his progress report and is this the episode where Helena meets Mark in the restaurant. Yes, yeah, that was the big thing there, really creepy scene there Milchick getting his progress report and it being like laming, like it being so like that I love about this shows all the underlying stuff is like like, I don't even know how to describe that. It's just it was unbelievable, Like that was laugh out loud seeing him getting that pan.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then the if it takes over three hours, we'll order lunch. I hope it won't take over three hours. Here's the lunch menu. Just like that's perfect workplace comedy stuff.
Speaker 1: His reaction to this stuff is just so good as well.
Speaker 3: It's fucking great and the best part about him still you don't know what his motivations externally are which is a theory of mind coming later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that and that's gonna hange upon whether my score may go up or down this season in the future, because I was pretty bummed to see his actions at the at the end of the season, episode six Attila. This is where Mark now bangs Helly, he's now double dipped Irving, goes to dinner at Bert's. We meet Fields and this is also the episode in which Mark officially decides to reintegrate give her Gabby everything she needs to do.
Speaker 3: This might be the Chinese food moment, because that's when he does break.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is that episode, Episode seven, Chickai Bardo. This is the episode Billy was talking about. This is Mark and Jemma's backstory. It's incredibly well done. It's emotional, it's sad, it's and it gives us because we've this whole season. End of season one, she's alive. We're talking about Gemma. We're really trying to figure out what the fuck's going on with jem since that moment. Yeah, and what's going on what happened between her and Mark, And we get most of that.
Speaker 3: And you get the whole testing floor and all that shit, all those rooms that she has twenty five, twenty four different personalities, how important she is to this process? And you also, somebody pointed this out, get a couple other like sheltery rooms that are in that area, which means they're probably other people.
Speaker 2: Just like, Yeah, that's a question that is definitely raised by what the hell the other MDR people are doing are they? Are they facilitating Mark's work or are they working on other people? Right? And we won't have that answer for a bit.
Speaker 1: Do all of those other people also have to do with Mark?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know. That's that's like one of the bigger mysteries still surrounding.
Speaker 1: What does the brother in law have to do with this?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That's the biggest miss from this entire series because Ricken in season one would have been my plemonade, maybe my MVP. He's one of the naturally most funny characters on TV.
Speaker 1: Ever, well, especially when they reached out to him about the book almost being gospel and changing some stuff around for Lumin. I'm like, right, does he have something to do with Lumin?
Speaker 3: I read the book. It seems like from the book nothing but the way he switched so quickly something.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Billy, can you please step back and see and Natalie is in.
Speaker 2: Natalie goes to Devin and Rickens home like there's fucking something. There's something there. And I'm not saying Devin really changed her actions, but the fact that she was willing to leave her infant son for two days and Ricken and like that was fine. That was fucking weird too.
Speaker 3: Her facial acting throughout the course of the last few episodes leads me to believe she's up to something.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is. And she was so quick to go to Cabell too.
Speaker 1: Billy. What was in the book?
Speaker 3: So it's basically the beginning of his life and his life's story, and that he was actually closer to Jimma than Mark was, and that him and Mark have always had a little friction. They had a huge falling out after the death of her because he basically said, you're a joke. She didn't even like you. We made fun of you all the time type of stuff. But he was also birthed by two like performance artists, mother and father there abandoned their group was called Hump Dumpster. So he's like an odd guy like the reason he's so weird is because his parents are so weird. So I don't know if that whole autobiotgrag like the uu are is like fake and he's just like allumin Plant all along. But if he he's true to the book, he's a wacky, wild, crazy guy. But the fact that he switched so quickly, I'm with Mac. It doesn't make any sense because from season one to season two he seems like the kind of guy you would never get to switch. He's like one of those Apple employees you walk in and like he's just like that kind of guy.
Speaker 1: That's like I could see him switch in the way of like, you know, being a sellout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they seem like.
Speaker 2: Yes, But there's also something like why Devin even chose Rick first place, Right, there's just something.
Speaker 1: Weird because the way that he writes speaks to the people on the inside because they're all dummies. Yeah, because they're all idiots.
Speaker 2: No, I get that aspect, that aspect I could buy.
Speaker 3: The other thing is outside his words in the book actually have a lot of depth, Like they're not just like silly words. It's I didn't actually read it, not the podcast audio book.
Speaker 1: I was so excited about that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't read are kidding me?
Speaker 2: Episode eight, Sweet Vitriol. This is Cobel's backstory. We learned that Harmony Cobell was the inventor of Severance, and essentially Luhman stole her work, patented her work. And so really why she's so invested is because it's her work. It's Luman by name, but it's what she developed and she's and this is why she's so invested. You find out the end of season one with Regabi and reintegration because it's probably shit she was also working on that got halted by Lumen. So she's just intrigued by the I think the scientific aspects of everything because her work got stopped and halted by Luman, taken over by Luman.
Speaker 3: I think they've perverted it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that's part of it too, right, So I think her I think the majority of her interest I think is scientific, and I think prior to this episode, reread into her as being like a really bad person when you find find out where she grew up, like she was trying to do really good things because of the way.
Speaker 1: She grew up and she wanted to start a throupple with Mark.
Speaker 3: It's true, even though Mark has a few throubles going on. And in the finale you get a key little thing from her where Mark's about to leave as any Mark and he goes, you know, if you care about your brother blah blah blah, and she's like, Mark, I care for you. And it was almost needless if she doesn't have some sort of connection to him, you know what I mean, Other than just the fact of the severance Chip, I think she was behind the whole gym of kidnapping and car accident and like getting them to be together, because hey, the only way this is gonna work to map somebody is if we get a couple in love or something.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh, also we didn't even mention this. We have the whole the Any Dylan cocking Audi Dylan as well, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, which that's a would you be jealous of your own self?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: And I also so different people and we're getting to this and here the actual finale, I loved the contrast that Dylan's Any was actually or Dylan's Audi was actually pretty thoughtful and forgiving to his Any. And then you have the two Marks basically screaming at each other.
Speaker 1: Which I think is going to lead into and this is my theory, like midway through the year was that by the end of this show there will be no more Audi Dylan. Any Dylan will just take over the Dylan life.
Speaker 2: It seems to me that Audi Dylan may have made a change though, like he may have like I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're also in love with the same person though, Yeah, Mark and Mark are in love with different people.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 3: I also think we're already watching somebody who is only an inny, and I think that is Melchick. I think his Audi has been removed and that is why you don't really see his external motivations because it's probably pretty fucking sad. Yeah, I think we'll get to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's that's something that looms large Episode nine, the after hours Devin was seeking out, Gobell finally gets in contact with her brings Mark Tucabell. They go to that cabin. In this episode, we also get uh, what's his face? The big dude?
Speaker 3: Oh Drummond.
Speaker 2: Drummond telling Milchek to apologize, and Miltchik says devour feculence.
Speaker 3: And means each shit.
Speaker 2: I say.
Speaker 3: This is basically a two part finale because it's so interconnected, Yeah for sure, and uh like.
Speaker 2: Like the drive and like the build up of getting to that cabin, which it was a great idea and then dropping that in in season one knowing it was going to play back now is awesome. And I find it interesting that, Like I guess that so because like Jemma has twenty five personalities, right, so if she would go to the cabin, she would be Miss Casey. So it's like very calculated as to which one would pop up, you know. It's it's interesting, like to which door they would go through matters, But we didn't really get into that too much. Uh So, finally we get to the finale episode ten, Cold Harbor, and let me let me start by saying, I fucking hated the ending. I hated the ending. I love you so much.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I love we get.
Speaker 2: We spend two seasons, we're a season and a half wondering about Miss Casey. We finally figure out where Gemma is, how to get there. We freed Gemma in fantastic fashion that twenty to thirty minutes when he goes into Cold Harbor and he pulls her out and she turns back in to Gemma and he's Mark because that's a different floor. Amazing, amazing, amazing moment, really satisfying, and he does what he's supposed to do. He gets her out that door. And I'm also wondering, I'm sure she picks up as they they're running through or as she's looking back through the glass. She doesn't know Mark severed until maybe the moment at the very end. Maybe she's she's she's putting two and two together. But that's interesting that he never even mentioned to her before they went up, like, hey, by the way, I'm severed. When we get to this floor, I guess you wouldn't remembercau she's miss Casey, but she would have remembered when she got out, So that was kind of pretty convenient. I really that bothered the ship out of me, because if you're Mark, you would tell her you were severed.
Speaker 3: I don't know, But you also don't know what Jim and knows down there. She might know because she's like, do I get to see Mark? Then she might be able to know that Mark's up.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a very I see your plight. I think I would have told her on the way up, as we hit the elevator. By the way, I'm severed.
Speaker 1: Do you just freedom and explain the whole plan because they're in the building.
Speaker 2: Though they're still in the building, so it matters.
Speaker 1: He's excited to see her and get her out of the buildings.
Speaker 2: Bothered me.
Speaker 1: The adrenaline. Thank you, Billy, the adrenaline.
Speaker 3: I didn't even think for us. You can't even operate your keys when you're like that adrenaline pumped up.
Speaker 1: Time out.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you just tell her right before you smooch's going up. Hey, By the way, I'm severed, that might matter, and she'll figure it out. She's been there too, because she won't even know. I know, but when she goes back through the glass, she doesn't know, which makes it even more heartbreaking. I do think she puts it together because she's not stupid. I think she figures it out. We get that look from Helly at the end, as Mark's already gone past the corner. She looks specifically at Gemma and she pulls a Helena move. She acted like a Helly would never ever ever do that? Now they do? They do spend the episode in this whole innings revolt, and they're making decisions for themselves. But if she really cared for Mark and she knows Jemma's the wife, she should have pushed Mark. Helly should have pushed Mark to Gemma.
Speaker 3: She did that in the verbal conversation they have at the desk, because I think that was Helly that she does. There is a really good theory, like she says, me to the equator. Lumen is the actual equator in their logo, which is kind of a cool little tie in there, and that door is supposedly the equator of the entire building, separating the in from the out. So when she says meet me at the equator, they're talking about right there. And if you go back and look at Helly's look, it is a little bit of a fuck you. But what on rewatch? It's not as damning as like, hey bitch, I got your man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 3: Not. It's quick and it's not as bad as you think. First viewing, I was like, oh shit, I will Mark arave owner.
Speaker 2: I think that she spends this episode partially as Helly and partially as Helena. I don't think she's Elena the whole time.
Speaker 3: I think that does possible.
Speaker 2: That does coincide with a couple things that will have to happen. You know, after milk check goes out, he either has to contact someone or activate the Glasgow block himself so that she becomes Helena, so that he's not fighting a losing battle by himself. He now has another person.
Speaker 1: I think it might have all been Helena, and I think that part of what they might have been trying to do is now Mark, he might never leave the building. Mark might want to stay in that building because as soon as Mark leaves, he's never going to go back.
Speaker 2: So to that point, we do open the episode with Helena's father basically saying he prefers Helly so that there also is the chance that he somehow has the power to flip them. Now Helene is down there and Helly will be the oudie because he likes what the like the spunk in Helly compared to Helly will never do that.
Speaker 3: I think the theory that machine, Yeah, I think her switching at the very end is a pretty good theory, like just for that moment because to your point about the door, when she's escaping from the door in the early season, she can come in and out freely, right, but then when she tries to break out of it, she can't.
Speaker 2: So that's that was the next point. I'm glad you brought that up. So now Jema's on the outside of that door, and the last time we saw anything with his door, someone could come right back in. Now maybe that's because Helena can get in wherever the hell she wants, which is a possibility, but that there's also something a little fast and loose there, like why couldn't yeumma just open that door.
Speaker 3: The creators might look at you and go like, come on, guy, or they might have a deeper meaning for it. In later seasons. I loved that Mark walks away with Helly because to me, for me, when you think about it, really this show is still about like workplace and corporate slaves, and Mark created his own slave, and then he slighted him at the beginning of the episode being like, hey, I know you have your own little thing down there, imagine that. But by one hundred, it's like, dude, you created me. You gave me this little slice of life, which Helly says, and I think that means that's really herd down there, because she's the most poignant thing, like you gave us this little slice of life and you expect us not to fight for it. Then he walks away with her, And to me, he has every right to do that. He fulfilled his job, he freed Gemma, and he's kind of useless. Now Drummond was gonna kill him and like without thinking about it, so they're gonna have to. My theory is they create a revolution with the band and they try to take over the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like it's so fruitless and like shortsighted when they've spent two seasons building out a really well thought out thing. And so they're gonna run down the hall for three minutes and then get caught.
Speaker 1: No, now Mark is forever, So Mark never wants to leave again. Mark wants going to have to You don't know that now, Yes, now, because any and Autie Mark had this deal. It's not gonna let Mark just run around the buildings. It's not run around the building. Done with it, it's not run around the building. This might have been what the purpose of what they wanted. They wanted him to forever be there and now they can move on to a new plan.
Speaker 3: I don't think Drummond would have snuffed him out like Drummond was gonna kill him with no hesitation.
Speaker 2: Because they're done with no better.
Speaker 1: They also might have known that he had the ability to take out the fucking giant. You gotta slay the giant to save the princess.
Speaker 2: My man. You know, Artistically, them running away down the hall in this sort of whimsical, crazy dream like sequence, i'llah of the graduate is like fun in good story wise. But to your point, Billy, you know about the Ennis and this workplace thing, and there is a bigger meaning for what this show is about. But what this show is about to me, or what it became, is Mark and Jemma. To me, it became that and not.
Speaker 3: What maybe they're going off to Romeo and Juliette themselves.
Speaker 2: And that's that's why I'm so upset, because I was rooting for this Mark and Jemma thing the whole time, and but.
Speaker 1: We we go, yeah, but Matt, you as you also rooted for Jim and Pam, and then look what happened there. It ruined the show. To the ruined the.
Speaker 3: Show, I think it's okay because one this show is going to go in a million different directions, and you don't know my theory is that mil Check on the top of that thing screams out I'm an indie as well, and they literally all band together and they try to take out Lumen that way, Like, there's no way it's going to be as simple as Mark and Helly get killed and the show's over right, something cool is.
Speaker 1: Going to be an amazing season for me of season three.
Speaker 2: Well, so if you look at like I guess, for lack of a better terms of battle lines you have, we don't even know if gem is gonna make it out of the building, which also pisses me off.
Speaker 1: She will, Yeah, that was my first question. Do you guys think that she makes it out of the building. Probably I think so too. And then the season three is her trying to get Mark out?
Speaker 2: Well, you have Kobell, Regabi, Devin Ricken on the outside and maybe some others, and then you have the Innie still in. There's just no conceivable way that Luhman is going to want Mark in the building, and they control enough other severed people to make anything happen.
Speaker 1: But Mark is the key.
Speaker 2: No, he's not not any more. He's done. They're done with Mark.
Speaker 1: That would just be a different Now the whole point of Cole Harbor.
Speaker 3: I kind of agree with that part of it. So I do think they're just gonna go around and free all the innies and be like, hey, we don't have to take this shit anymore and free the other departments. Like look, how big fucking Also, the fact that they pulled out the ninety six Bulls intro music was one of the magest moments in television history. Hands down.
Speaker 1: That was one of the moments where my eyebrows raised up and I'm like, wait, are we doing this thistomenal?
Speaker 2: So let's get to the cabin conversations, because there's multiple and they're very meaningful, but also bothered the shit out of me. Is Mark having this Anyadi conversation on a cam quarder when they have smartphones? What was that?
Speaker 3: But do they have cameras on those smartphones?
Speaker 2: I mean so.
Speaker 1: Also, we've seen every time that Helena has speaken to Helly season one, it would always be with the cam quarder.
Speaker 2: Well because she wouldn't have a phone when she was down.
Speaker 1: There, right, But I think they're just trying to keep the continuity of what they've already been doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, I didn't care for that. It was bothered shit out of me. We get the confirmation of the tempers here from Kobell talking to any Mark, and we learned that the MDR numbers are the building blocks of people's minds. So Mark has completed twenty five files. It's twenty five different gemas down on that hell floor. But that begs the question, then, what are the other three MDR workers doing. Are they supporting Mark's work? Are they helping facilitate all of his files the twenty five gemas? Or are Dylan, Irving and Helly working on other things? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Are they feeding Marx files? Right?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I don't know?
Speaker 3: So in season one they say Mark had a freshman fluke and he refined more files faster than anybody ever. They also say that one in five files expires. So I think they're all working on people, and they're just not as good as Mark is because Mark has such a strong connection with who he's doing it for, and he finally got to the twenty five quota where they were gonna pull it out of her killer and sell it as the prototype.
Speaker 2: Huh, Yeah, that's I could believe that. It's just that's another where they answered a question. Now we had three, four to five more questions because of the answer we got. We get Devin and Audi Mark being pretty much cold to any Mark like you mentioned, which I do think properly motivates him for the decision he makes at the end. I just hated it. We get the robot absolutely ethering Milcheck here the Egan robot, and then of course we get the choreography of meariment with this marching band sequence, which I don't know why it's there, but again in season one we had a lot of weird parties, so I guess it makes sense.
Speaker 1: It's for the internet.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: It's for the Internet. It's for making memes and for making videos. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Also, Milcheck running out of the room after.
Speaker 2: That was dynamic.
Speaker 3: He said that he just did it for fun in one of the takes and he's like, when I watched the finale, I couldn't believe they used that, And he's like, I guess it made sense.
Speaker 2: The other big revelation we get many of them in this episode. I guess Cold Harbor is the cradle room. It is one version of any Gemma having to disassemble the crib model which was called Cold Harbor back in episode seven, and see if it would you know, break the block or whatever in there, and that is just so low, yeah, so low. So they're playing their song too, like yeah, it's just brutal, just like that is unbelievable. And then that sequence we get after that, we get Oudie mark OUTI Gemma. Well we get Cold Harbor Gemma, Audie Mark, Oudie mark OUTI Gemma, and then we get miss Casey any Mark and then we get OUTI Gemma any Mark. Like that dynamic was really cool to play with. And obviously you know the couple deaths that happen along the way, like.
Speaker 3: Trumm and getting his brains blown out is phenomenal, so satisfying and.
Speaker 2: Like a really creative way to do it, like you didn't want to kill him, but because of that it was it was just perfect. What do we think was the point of the twenty five gemas? Why twenty? Like why not just like one or ten? Like I don't understand why this might be. And one of the prevailing Internet theories is that they're testing this number or or this amount on Gemma because ultimately they're going to implement something like this on Helly so she can carry all the consciousnesses of the egans. Interesting because why were they doing so many So I thought.
Speaker 3: That this was going to be the prototype they sell as the severance chip to people who are like, Okay, so you want to go to the dentist and not remember it, we have a chip for that. You want to do this, we have a chip for that.
Speaker 2: That's what you can feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once again Adam Sandler's click.
Speaker 2: I also and we talked about this a little bit via text. What was the death of that goat gonna accomplish? It's just strictly I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure that they'll explain it further, but it's almost just too it's just too much. That's always the animal that's tied to sacrificial with so many of the religions that that almost just seems like the go to, right I.
Speaker 3: Guess, so, yeah, I I just it was a weird thing because the prevailing theory before was that the goat brain and the human brain are similar. But that's a baby goat and then she's gonna shoot it right in the fucking hand.
Speaker 2: So yeah, And I'm wondering now that they just if they just introduced that aspect of Lumen so that they could bring them up there, so that she could help Mark in that scene, you know, because they haven't. There's just there's been no explanation for why they are.
Speaker 3: And then what great casting too.
Speaker 2: Again we get Kobella kind of getting rounded out in episode seven. I also think this episode does a good job to show that she's not working for Lumen. She was working for them because it was the only way she could be near Severance or monitor Severance. I don't think she wants Lumen to succeed at all, so she.
Speaker 3: Went full scorched Earth. And you can tell that she did because at the beginning of episode two or three, she's at the entrance to Saltznek says, nah, let me see if I can just go do it normally, get my job back, And then when they were like, oh, they're gonna fucking kill me, I'm gonna go nuclear burn bridges and just go napalm on everybody by saying I created this, not Jane.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. I forgot about that little end scene in episode two or three. There again, Dylan's letter from his Audi was great and really heartfelt in a good contrast to the Mark situation. Jumping back to Milcheck, I was so disappointed that he didn't help in the end there, And you're right, maybe we open season three where he isn't any or he is helping them, but they they spent so much time dropping stuff in there this season for him to turn in this episode, and he didn't.
Speaker 1: But they also didn't. So season one set him up as a future boss. This season didn't really set anyone else up as like a future boss next season unless you just go to the to the highest point of Helly's father.
Speaker 3: So I do think Milcheck isn't any and I think because he's doing a lot of the rebelling not on the severed floor or in the office, I think that may be a doorway for him, because he's always all business in the severance room or in those areas.
Speaker 2: So you think that he could be a gen think, do you think there is an outing Milcheck at all anymore?
Speaker 3: No? I think there's a few innies of him. That would be my weird theory.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's like that we're gonna need massive clarification on Milcheck and what his motivations are because it does really affect a lot of what happened and what is going.
Speaker 1: Did you see anything clicking him when he was in the room trying to kick over the vending machine.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I saw anything clicking him there. But the biggest thing to me was this season when Miss Wong goes don't give them a funeral. It makes it feel like they're real people. And the look in his eye is not shut up, little girl, It's like I'm one of them. Fuck you.
Speaker 2: Yeah that you're right. That was an important scene too. That's a good point.
Speaker 3: And he also when Irving in season one says to him, you're not severed, and he doesn't look mad, he looks like depressed, Like, dude, you don't even know. I can't reveal it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, those those are a couple of good points. Speaking of Miss Wang like it's it's at least appears to me that she just sort of existed for them to really make you believe more of like a young Kobell and how young Cobell sort of like navigated Luming because ultimately she didn't matter at all in this season.
Speaker 3: And Regaby too.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Regabi, we thought at the end of season one she was working against Cobell. Now, I think they're probably gonna be in cahoots. Right, they're cut from the same sort of cloth. It feels like they're going to be working together going forward.
Speaker 3: So someone else that I talk about this show with behind microphones, we have a theory where they might be like Obi Wan and Darth Vader type of deal. Like she was her Miss Wong and they kind of split paths, and then that's why one of them was like, don't talk to her, she's evil, and Regaby on the Cobell on the phone was likegotty, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point. I was starting to think of it more though, that Regabri was doing this because Cobell is being watched way more than Regaby would be, so she was sort of an extension of Cobell. But you could absolutely be right.
Speaker 1: Also, is the theory of the entire town or like the entire area being under lumen control any audi is is that out the window?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's that's a tough one. I feel like it's not even worth addressing though, because I'm so concerned about our this story, I don't want to widen it that much.
Speaker 3: You know what if the entire world is severed Mac, There's theories because Lumin' so water based is all the file names of water, water, water water, that they're poisoning the water supply to slowly fucking.
Speaker 1: Basal Man would stop them. Then Batman's always stopped the Joker and the Riddler and the Scarecrow from poisoning the water supply.
Speaker 2: I guess I should have led with this point. This is my biggest disappointment in this season and probably why I can't give it forty. We spent so much time talking about reintegration during season one and this season, and ultimately it didn't mean a fucking thing. It was just basically to uh, give you a beer Sea story in a couple episodes and kind of loosely connect Cobell and Regabi. Ultimately it meant nothing, Like it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: They tried to sell it to Mark in the finale too. That's a little bit of it, like, hey, I'll be around. I think Regabi's just really bad at it and she fucked it up. It gets built up to.
Speaker 2: This big thing, and the big thing in the episode six or whatever it was, is he's gonna be reintegrated and it didn't come back up. He's never reintegrated. It never matters. It's that really bothered me because we spent so much time on reintegration and it mattered.
Speaker 3: Not.
Speaker 1: Also, if it is a like a big worldwide takeover or a poisoning of the water supply type of stuff, like I'm gonna be very disappointed in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll agree, that's why I want to keep it a little more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to your point, Mac, with that, they could have solved all the reintegration stuff with Regabi after she almost kills him, saying I fucked it all up. We've gotta have to start from scratch. If they just put that one line in there, that would have made me happier. But I get your complaint there. It is valid because he should be at least flashing a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now, like like so season three, that still lingers. So like Audie Mark is gonna want to reintegrate so that he can still be I guess maybe a sleeper agent or whatever. But now any Mark might be pushing back against it in his own brain. Like now, it's like probably still gonna matter, and I'm just gonna be bothered by.
Speaker 1: It, Billy question, can you answer this? Could any Mark if he is now if he has now locked himself in the building, he refuses to come out, could he try and unintegrate himself as like he tries to make himself the dominant mark, so that when he leaves the building it is him.
Speaker 3: I think that Milchek could do it, or Helena could do it, or Helena could do it. I definitely think that is on the table. I think somebody becoming a full blown any all the way. I think you're gonna find out there's a lot more of those than you think, because I think that's the goal of a lot of this is to get people totally love.
Speaker 2: Helena would have the power to be able to to glasgow block him, and so it would be Mark or any mark outside.
Speaker 3: So they can't glasgow block them. That's making them the inside person on the bottom floor.
Speaker 1: Oh you have to forever otc loocause I thought that the possibility of an any taking over the entire body would have to be signed off on by the AUDI. But now I'm trying to think of like Ken Mark on the inside, Can any Mark be like, no, I'm going to take over this body and without the consent of Audie Mark, who signed him in.
Speaker 3: I think it's all I think all that shit's out the window. I think we're in.
Speaker 2: Well, what you're talking about, Gou, you're overthinking it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to underthink it.
Speaker 2: If that, if the possibility exists, that's Helene at the end. Helene is just gonna do that zact. She has Audie Mark or any Mark outside, she will have the power to be able.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 3: To me, it's prison rules.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Anything goes from here on out on that floor.
Speaker 2: And then I have one last thing which we have briefly touched upon, and you guys can bring up with anything I missed here, the Burt Field stuff and Irving. That's gonna have to still matter somehow season three, right like, that's still gonna rearch head at some point, and I think they get a I think they did a good job giving us a taste of that as like the season's maybe C or D story, and then we'll deal with that later. I wasn't I wasn't overly concerned that that didn't play a big role.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the conversation of of Christopher Walking wanting to become an any so that his any can go to Heaven at least added some layers to their characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it feels like it feels like he genuinely does care about Irving, So that's that's something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we're gonna get more from Irving just from the fact that he was out to get lumin in the first place. He seems like a military man, you know, Doug Raidar, all that kind of stuff, saluting milcheck. So I think he's definitely going to play loom large in season three for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder. I mean, it seems inevitable that Kobell might find Irving and utilize Irving somehow to do whatever they need to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, now, if they're on the outside, you have the possibility of Irving, and you have Gemma that could be a part of that team trying to take them out from the outside.
Speaker 2: I'm just I shouldn't doubt them because these two seasons are great. I'm just like fucking annoyed. I'm just fucking no.
Speaker 1: I think that you've seen too many television shows drop the ball when they have something great guy.
Speaker 2: Part of it. And you mentioned West World earlier, perfect example of a show that was, you know, maybe bordering on forty Dogs great idea, sci fi, thrilling, mystery aspects and it fucking sucks.
Speaker 1: The world too far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't get them in trouble for something they haven't done yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah that yeah, No, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 1: That's that's gives it thirty hot dogs. I think they're gonna mess this up in the future.
Speaker 3: We have a podcast to do today.
Speaker 2: That's the glass half empty of this going forward, because somebody shows have sucked it up. Hopefully this is the rare that it doesn't. But I ultimately the reason why it's not forty Dogs is emotionally, I hated the decision from any mark and also the reintegration stuff is bothering the shit out of me.
Speaker 3: That's fair. I do likes stories that aren't happy endings because I don't get a lot of happy endings either either way, either way you slice it.
Speaker 2: So, but this is two sad endings in my mind because Helly, Helly and Mark or whoever's running down the hallway there.
Speaker 1: It's les minutes continued. It's a too be continued. It's not an ending.
Speaker 3: I want my shows to make me feel something es and the.
Speaker 2: Feeling it makes me feel I had a visceral reaction.
Speaker 3: So the feeling of them getting out together would be through the roof. The feeling of them going the opposite way blew my fucking mind. It made you more mad than you would have been happy. Yeah, but if he had left the building, what would they do moving forward?
Speaker 2: Because Helena is still in charge of everything. That's sort of my point. Helena is the key to everything, and she has so much control inside.
Speaker 1: And to that point, though, Mark has no need to ever go near that building ever again, he just moves.
Speaker 3: They're smarter than us. They have a good plan, I'm guaranteed so.
Speaker 2: So the the only conceivable, not the only the thing that makes most sense now is then most of season three will take place over only a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Then the whole series may have taken place over four weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be right about that. You might be right about that. What because we can only spend so much time inside this building with any Mark Now, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be like an episode of twenty four.
Speaker 1: Well no, you say that, Mac, But we don't know the extent of how big this building is though, like there could be.
Speaker 2: Has to be Helene at the end because she would know where to go and she can hide anywhere, So it would have to be Helene at the end.
Speaker 1: If you want to go that round, what if Helene is actually twins and there's multiple Helenas and Tins anyone has anyone?
Speaker 2: We could get real interesting still in the lumin building. But the only way that's possible is if it's Helena down there, are not.
Speaker 3: Helly or Milchick turns team any.
Speaker 2: No, because well, I guess he would have access to areas too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, that could be a possibility, That's my guess, because I do like her being down there and being a badass. The thing I wanted to talk about was Jame Egans seemed like the like the weirdest, like biggest lame But when he yells out the double fucks and sitting in that little coup for room, it killed me.
Speaker 1: Just became alive.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck, oh fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's like we've been talking about the Egans in this in this whole business and family for a while that it feels inevitable that everything around season three will be like the Egans and Helena and Helly versus Gobel or Gabby, all these people that have been slighted.
Speaker 3: Imagine if we get the equivalent of Chicai Bardo, but it's all like Jane from marrying or birthing whoever, all the way up to Helly, that would be fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: I also think that as maybe fitting as it is as if it's Helly in any mark at the end, because the nies shows themselves, I think that doesn't lead to as many possibilities as if that was Helena in any mark. I think there's more storytelling possibilities if Helena exists there and not Helly.
Speaker 3: I also do think the the I sired Many in the Shadows almost confirms my theory that Kobel is likely his daughter, and I think Miss Wong is probably his daughter as well.
Speaker 2: That could certainly be a possibility.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Max and Ma Sak could be anything that could be a boat and this week just a quick update on our food mascot, Macnus. We are into the second round. We had a number of upsets, but will blame Mac for terrible seating. The one thing that I want to point out is that you people out there, you fucking people, went into our beautiful, blissful bracket and messed it up. You took at fifty the fifteen seed, this little piece of dough popping fresh, and you took him over a fucking giant cheesy dinosaur. Where do you get the gull?
Speaker 2: What I may be underestimated is the magical abilities of the Pillsbury bill boy.
Speaker 3: And I think the age because I don't know who that guy is.
Speaker 1: You're the same age as us, Billy, you must.
Speaker 3: Six years older than you guys.
Speaker 1: Then you had more of them, really, craft Cheese and Macarney. It's not easy being cheesy.
Speaker 2: Goose champions out in round one.
Speaker 1: I will say that my runner up is still in there. Crazy Craven was almost campaign for him for two days. Crazy Craven was almost knocked out by Digham of the Frog.
Speaker 2: You were creating burners to vote on that one.
Speaker 1: So so many. I would like to thank Gert b. Frobe, who went through and gave us a finishing move in every single one of the mashup, So I really I want to thank you, Gert, and then to Walsh six one seven who told me in multiple tweets posts for me to go fuck myself and for Cheese a Saurus Rex to go fuck himself I see you six one seven, Yeah, love that. But I will say this once again. This bracket, this mascot bracket dead to me. I don't even care about it anymore.
Speaker 3: I don't know I know what pop it Fresh is. I didn't know who the hell the other guy was.
Speaker 2: Did anyone at your work also have cheese a saurus Rex? Winning it all?
Speaker 1: So many people? By the way, I have a giant I'd want to thank everyone at WBZ. There is a giant wall at my work right now covered in food mascot brackets of all of my coworkers who filled these out, I will say, I'll apologize to the higher ups. I was a bit of a distraction. I apologize. I don't mean to do that. I didn't think that this would capture everyone's imagination and then they would ruin it by putting that piece of shit dough boy ahead of my cheese asaurus Rex.
Speaker 2: I'm so upset. Mac.
Speaker 1: Where can the people find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on x and on Instagram, at Mac and Goo podcast every other platform. We are mac ampersan Goo. It's Mac Shift seven Goo and includes Facebook, stitch er Tune and Cashbucks, Preak, Google Play, I Art Radio, we're on Spotify, but more importantly, we're on Apple Podcasts. Get on there, rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Goo T shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports Where Watertown Sports we're on thirty four on Auburn Street in Watertown. Watertownsportswear dot com expert screenprinting and broidery.
Speaker 1: Teapublic dot com merger. I will within the next couple of days. Billy has sent me some sweet designs for severance, and we'll open a little shop for some severance phrases and whatnot. Maybe you'll write not any o. That's easy money, just printing money.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: To teaser one, I'd go too.
Speaker 1: It's two on both. It's two ends and two tastes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd agree, Billy.
Speaker 1: We should learn this before we start making these shirts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it auto corrects every time I write it to the one T. But it doesn't feel right.
Speaker 2: It doesn't feel right at all.
Speaker 1: Billy, want to plug yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pineapple Boys. Every Thursday we are back, and then check out the Dork Podcast if you want individual recaps of all the episodes of this show, and we'll be doing the season finale out in a couple of days probably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Billy's other podcasts with that shithead doc from that TLDR piece of shit podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Billy should feel slighted too because he didn't win Podcasts of the Year. I didn't.
Speaker 1: He only did like six episodes last year. And that makes me think that Friar is just a better co host than you.
Speaker 3: He really is. Look at the transitive property here, handsome devil too. I can argue that anything else.
Speaker 2: Mac. That's it, hopefully. Maybe maybe next week we'll see the right or Tega Death of a Unicorn, talk about it sometime next week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll do a news up at the end, talk about Alto Knights, the Robertson Narra movie. He's so nice. They did him twice.
Speaker 2: I heard it was really really boring.
Speaker 1: Oh, he just plays a saxophone for two hours. Tuesdays are goose Days. I abused Kangaroos, Temmburton. Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on trampopolines.