Speaker 1: This is India Today Podcasts.
Speaker 2: You are on India Today Podcasts and you are in the Sledging Room. Let me warn you this is not a place for the faint hearted and the weak need. If you're a sports poff and like challenging everything you see and here stay, If you're a sooner bodyatya fan, walk away.
Speaker 3: Right now, you're back in another episode of Sledging Room, this time after a draw in Manchester. I want to ask you, Soro King Shock, why are we celebrating mediocrity? Why are we celebrating at draw? England scored six to sixty nine runs. India needed to back twice to just scrape past them. Then why are we celebrating mediocrity? It's not as if you've won the Test or you have you know, won the series. You're still won two. The fifth Test is in Oval, where your record is not that great and you don't have you know, a just bit boommera. You might not have a just bit boomra and your bowling still looks shambolic. Why are we celebrating mediocrity? Why did you jump off the seat when you know Washington soon that hit that boundary and say double and got his got to his hundred. Why were we celebrating it yesterday? It's my question to both of you.
Speaker 4: You know, on day four, when England declared and when came out to bad in the first very over, Chris Folkes, Dow two har Betters, Jessull and Suedessian gone on back to Bold Deliveries.
Speaker 1: Who asked them not to score hundreds.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me complete actually let yeah, okay. So then what happens is I hear Michael a certain talk in the commentary and he says, we'll look for our trains. This test mess might get over very soon and we have to head back to our homes. And then Schumann Gil walks out and he defends the hat trick ball, and then there's a linear passage where the new ball is doing so much and it looks like every ball will carry a wicket. Then Gil and Kale Rahole they somehow survived that session and then they go on to I think share one eighty plus stand till day five. They go un skate on day four and they go to day five. Then Kal ra Hole gets undone by a Ben Strokes jack backed in. Then Schumang Gill scores one hundred. Kala Hole miss out his hundred ninety, Schumangus scored a hundred, and then he pokes a delivery that's going outside of Archers salivates and again it looks like England are back in a Test and six tickets might fall like a zap of fingers, and you can see England as rejoicing. Benustokes is very happy and it looks like they have just done the up because now India don't have a Shepherd.
Speaker 1: Mind you, Shepherd might have walked out to bat, but.
Speaker 4: He was not fit enough and he has been He had been ruled out of the series entirely, but just because India might, if India might needed bunking too bad, he might have come out. Then you see two left handed all rounders came out. One is a senior who has been questioned how is he is he still surviving in the ciccate when rohit and we're retired. Second is the one who's sooner, who is impact by the coach and everybody has questioned his inclusion. Why is he playing? Why school leap not playing? Why are you not including a fastball in a order instead of him? And then these two what they did on day five to share a two hundred plus stand and both Scorte century. And the biggest point was before this Chote century one hour before the play couldn't when England realized, oh now we don't have it in hours to we just get those five six wickets, let's go and shake our hands. Then Menstokes walks up to and he's like, let's shake the hands and let's end it.
Speaker 1: You have drawn a smatch. That is where we realized that it was.
Speaker 4: It might be called us a draw, but that was a victory for me, especially because you could see entire England team, Zach Crawley, bend Kid, Harry Brooke, Ben Strokes, everybody was riled up. They were like, no, no, we don't want to bowl just because you are tired. You know that you can't wickets. You wanted to get them get the match over.
Speaker 3: See, it's it's essentially a win.
Speaker 1: It's a moral wine.
Speaker 3: What what were years ago this very same episode before you intested this man was, you know, criticizing moral victories of England team during the ashes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now he's celebrating one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you have defeated the moral win Alsa not like they were reaching WUTC finals.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only thing that they were winning was perhaps moral win. Now the morality is on the gone. Yeah, what are the winning winning?
Speaker 1: Nothing now?
Speaker 4: And if you can't pick the six eight wickets in five sessions ten weeks, five sessions, I'm sorry your browling attack is.
Speaker 1: Not good enough.
Speaker 3: You're cooked.
Speaker 1: Are we looking at five ashes?
Speaker 4: That that will depend on the fitness of the fastballers of England, someone like Joe.
Speaker 1: Squad.
Speaker 3: They also carry Mark.
Speaker 4: Because I can assure you one thing, Australia are not going to roll out flat tracks like England have rolled out.
Speaker 1: In this series.
Speaker 3: I want to try Test series between India and England. Series that will be fun.
Speaker 1: Fun England, no, let's have it, let's have it in Yeah. Maybe you give them those the first one to get it.
Speaker 3: Give them the West Indies pitchers all out.
Speaker 1: They should be banter every Test.
Speaker 3: I think it will be like a tag team match, like when you played w W with your friends. Suddenly you will gang up against one person and eliminated. I'm sure who's going to hang up with India Austria despite all their animosity, I am I am quite surprised that England have not claimed victory for bringing in the eyeballs and bringing in the crowding dama every single Test match. So I'm very surprised at that, and that essentially is what the victory was.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: They were devastrated. I have never seen in my life, Ben Stokes that frustrated.
Speaker 1: You know, I was. I was telling sorrow in the morning in our a phone call.
Speaker 3: Also that the discourse on social media and some of the comments to our copies have been you know, to say the least disgraceful, as in like how you can have your opinions, but how can you not read between the lines in this Test match?
Speaker 1: Why are you asking why we are celebrating as what?
Speaker 3: What? What have been the comments? If you can tell, like why so you have you have forgotten how India struggled in the first innings, India were made to bat twice. Why are we celebrating this? India are celebrating this win, like how Pakistan celebrated the pilcam operations indur So these things kind of you know irritates people, right yeah, like you know, when you don't get the point. I think when you don't get the point, these these are these are things that like what was the draw in that match.
Speaker 1: What was the significance of the draw In that match you batted twice.
Speaker 3: Yes, you allowed England to score six sixty nine, but at the end of the day, with three days turnaround, you made them bowl two fifty to sixty overs. By the end of that final hour when Ben Stock said, oh I don't want to bowl my frontline bowlers, everybody was spent. Imagine India batting through that fifteen overs period. Fifteen overs period. They would have, of course continued with those but they they would have still spent time on the field. We should have made them bad, but I don't think the umpires would have allowed that. A declaration would have meant that go home now. No, you could have declared and asked them to bat again. Also, I think last umpires would have taken the call. There last episode, the last podcast were actually wasn't there. The podcast was titled that this series is giving upwenty one by league. So I remember when he came back. Actually I came back and I went up to when I said that I think we should explore this angle a little more. Let me write a copy, like what bgit everything we have?
Speaker 1: What is this team?
Speaker 3: What is that team. But yesterday's draw man that was that was how do you call it? That raised the roof? I think, yeah, I think I think sometimes it's just like we have already discussed a draw is special, like we saw that in the Sydney Test.
Speaker 1: For twenty twenty one, draws have had more romance.
Speaker 3: Actually, yes, exactly if you look at it, faf dou Plac and Abd william is grinding that out and Michael Atheretton himself, you know, batting over ten hours in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Some these are some you know.
Speaker 3: If you look at BGD series even down twenty years, we'll keep talking about Sydney as much as GABA. I think absolutely, And I got I got these vibes, like you said, vibes Tim Paine was talking too much insane to come to Let's see what you I got the similar vibes. When Ben Stalks lost it in the last hour. You know, you call him the greatest all rounder, you call him the greatest all rounder, the superhuman.
Speaker 1: I saw the headline when I walked into office yesterday.
Speaker 3: Superhuman Benstokes removes scale rowl Bloody didn't bowl the entire day on day four and took her. Maybe that was a mistake from his side, but yeah, I think he was struggling. I think it was heavily struggling because of that.
Speaker 1: Let me be frank, Ben Stokes is the moment of Finland.
Speaker 3: That's what I don't agree kind of whenever I think Ben stalks when he loves creating theater. Of course, just like our risman falls and holds his for half of the time. I think when Ben Stalks walked up to what did did you tell that would you want to score a hundred against legendary Crawley? Yeah, I told that if you wanted to score this hundred, you should have scored it earlier. You know, they will dictate the opposition space of play.
Speaker 4: Also, so when I was watching yesterday and when Crawley was talking to Jadeja that what will you do? You can just shake your hands and finish the match, you know, I realized I had seen somewhere, and then I went back into memory.
Speaker 1: Have you guys watched Game of Thrones?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the first Sade episode of Game of Thrones, the first guy who saw white workers, the guy who was butchered.
Speaker 1: He looks the same as Zach. If you go and watch him.
Speaker 4: Zach Crawley is all hype, no performance, nothing else. And more than that, you know, when you talk about draws like you mentioned, especially when you talk about someone like something like Gaba, and you said Sydney will be remembered as much as Gaba definitely because Gaba wasossible only because Sydney happened. You do the Test match in Sydney, you put your body on the line against those the Austilian pace trial, and then you force them, you break their mural higher on whatever they were there, and then you actually kept the series alive so that your team could go and win the next less match.
Speaker 1: Similar things supply here.
Speaker 3: I think we've been conditioned to, you know, think this way as a society, especially in this very competitive society. It's either win or lose. There's nothing in between. Like I can't stay back one day and then you know, not do anything and then just you know, take a chelf pill.
Speaker 1: That's just you.
Speaker 3: Maybe we've been conditioned to think absolutely like it's either black or white. Yeah, there's no great Yeah, So what sport sometimes offers you this? You know, it's actually if you look at it, it's not a result. It's not non consequential. But it's that is the beauty of the sport, right you don't win, you don't lose. That there is that's the beauty of Test cricket. That this you cannot it's not possible in any other format of the game. And that's these are the moments where essentially, what's the reason that Test cricket should live on and it should be prioritized?
Speaker 4: Should it be five days or four days? Five days and four days earlier? Five days test match? Five days? Don't disturb the tourist found cricket, please, don't you know? Often, especially with this bass ball, since since basball has come I think three years ago it first came in to existence, we have made it a habit, especially the young gen nations who watched his cricket, who are more u entitled to watching something like IPL or he don't de Leagues or he don't the World Cup. So what they have done is they've always enjoyed someone like Ship this cricket. But we have always seen, especially we our generation nineties one kids, we have seen we have seen someone like dru someone like Pujara, We've seen someone like Keane Williamson. So we have always looked up to them and realized that Test cickeet is not just about scoring runs just testlic. It is also about just playing the ball, playing to the sision by session, to the merit of the ball, just staying on the crease. Survival is the main, the main motive of Test cricket.
Speaker 3: When when push comes to shove, you survive.
Speaker 1: You survive?
Speaker 3: Should ask always says, you know you you know that it's it's Test cricket. There's more time than you think. Even uses that analogy for audio cricket. He says, there's more time than you think.
Speaker 1: I think. He must have been the most.
Speaker 3: Happiest man, the happiest man on the com balk yesterday. The way he was losing the fuse. Let's come to that, you know, Yes, the way he was losing the fuse, he was like, nothing wrong in there's nothing wrong in this. I hope India bat all the fifteen overs as in like Stokes was right when he walked up to the umpires and said, okay, let's end it here.
Speaker 1: But do you think he did not expect these two to go to the hundred? Was it? Was it something? Okay?
Speaker 3: I I don't know these guys might not want their hundreds, so let me go and shake hands. Did you not expect India to do that? Then?
Speaker 4: Why did Ben Strokes at the first inland of batting? Why did he went on to battist sixty nine? Could have declared when they had two fifty lead he wanted to score one fifty one sixty because he had not scored one hundred and like two years. Then what about soon the sonder has never scored a Test hundred. This was his first Test hundred. Someone like he has outscored Joe Route in this series, outscored with the bat, but twenty years down the line up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you look at the scorecard of this match, you can clearly say scored those runs against Harry Brook.
Speaker 1: Washington runs against Harry Brook.
Speaker 4: Like like I was watching Rushin's video, Like Rushins said very clearly, he said, Boss Raveneja did not survive three sessions while batting against someone like Harry Brook or bendictt ravenger Dija survived those three seasons against every baller you pit him against you. You threw the ball to someone like Dawson, you threw the ball to Urscher, You yourself tried to break the partnership.
Speaker 1: You did everything that you could do.
Speaker 4: In fact, just before tea was called, I think the t was called and they were still leaving the ground. We saw that that Ben Stokes was having a very very fiery chat with Dawson. He was still in Dawson, Look, there's a rough patch. Why are you not using left arms spinners?
Speaker 1: I was just going to come to that. I think for.
Speaker 3: Those who have watched in the video go and watch his Thumber video. He has flown his fuse there. He has literally called out Zach Crowley. He was asked when was the last time Crawley hit a hundred? When was the last time that that?
Speaker 1: In India? Also, he was very very is.
Speaker 3: A sensational page on Twitter. It's called what is Zach Crowlely doing? Yeah, they've been asking the same question for a while now what is he doing?
Speaker 1: Actually?
Speaker 3: And then then they said that that zachl is not role is not to score runs, it's to ask the right questions. Yeah, why didn't you bat like this earlier? Why couldn't if you wanted one hundred, he would have hit shots earlier? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Man? That's his role? So the problem is England have now the moral battle as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the moral high ground that they always had right from I don't know pre colonial era, they have lost that as well.
Speaker 1: Now where do they hide? What do they hide? You know what?
Speaker 4: My biggest concern was the biggest tip of hypocricy for someone like Ben Strokes. Your only icy World Cup came on boundary count rule. Why do you not score the runs in the requisite rovers? Why were you waiting for the boundary count rule to win the World Cup? You come and question someone like and sooner. We have survived the entire Sesson against your bowlers on the pitch that your team prepared on your demands.
Speaker 1: It was a little very poor taste.
Speaker 3: It turned out, it turned out sore in all these a great test man. Stocks lost it. Painstocks one hundred percent lostest. And I think it happened because of how the phase of play went. Day four is not bowled India at one seventy four runs after going zero two down, Stokes comes in. I think it took the first over after Losson on day five they get wickets, two wickets quick quick, and then after that again the play flattens out. I think from the moral custodian point of view, he absolutely lost it at his teammates. What on earth are you guys doing. Stokes is also the I think the highest cricket taker in the series.
Speaker 1: At them like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, from what I can see is that he's given his all and the rest of them just simply did not bother to turn up in this Test match. And I am very happy that for a team that tries to posture themselves as this morality kind of a thing, they lost it in front of everyone, not behind the scenes.
Speaker 4: I have one more point to make, Like you're talking about Ben Stokes, I don't agree with your comparison of Stokes to this one is why the third getter, absolutely useless cricketer who has been thrown out of every format. Obviously Pakistan team is no goody. But Ben Stokes is a match no doubt about that. Now, there are two things. One is your performance and your will to do great and the second thing is your character on the field.
Speaker 1: If you're losing. Ben Stokes is a great cricketer.
Speaker 4: He is someone who creates magic on the field with the ball while fielding wild batting. But yesterday what happened was so I heard I think seward Board was saying that Ben Strokes will not play the last Test match because his body has given up. If he didn't win this Test, now ben Strokes must have reized, oh my god, I have to play. I have to play the next Test match because I have changed and chopped my team. I have brought in everyone, but these buggers can't pick me wickets.
Speaker 1: I have to just go and do the job every time.
Speaker 4: Whether in this Test match you see want them, he won them in the match, picked up a five in the first innings, bolled out India.
Speaker 3: Stokes was giving them yeah, back.
Speaker 1: To back man the match.
Speaker 4: Odds scored his first Test on hundred in the last two years. He did everything that he could do as a player. As a captain also, he was trying to make all the changes. He was mars tups well. But then it all comes down to your team's performance. Like in this series. If you look at it, India have won more sessions, but the series line says England are leading to one because England have been putting in.
Speaker 3: That moment, those moments of brilliance.
Speaker 1: It's not England, it's Bend Stokes. If you ask me, he is the only man who's doing it for them like flint off sashes. Can we call these Stokes and Center? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I can see if they win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you know Joe rout is hyped up so much. Is he's scoring hads offt to him? But what has done in the series two hundreds?
Speaker 1: He scored lessons? And who backs at number seven? What are you doing? You're playing on a flat track.
Speaker 4: Let's look at it, Shuman, Schumann Gill has come out and scored seven hundred orders in your own track on your own pitches.
Speaker 1: What is Joru doing?
Speaker 3: He's giving respect to such not getting there. So my my bigger problems yesterday was not with Stokes. It was with Crawley and Brooke. I'm thinking Stokes is frustrated, has the right to be, has done everything through the series.
Speaker 1: What are you complaining about? What is Brooke complaining about in this? Why is he bowling dolls?
Speaker 3: Where is your spirit of fight? If you are not there on the ground to compete, then why are you playing in the first place. By the way, you are also the white ball captain of England. That's the message that you are sending while playing red ball cricket that I'm going to bowld dollies so that people hit me get to the century and I go back home an hour half an hour early from this game. I think it was a disrespect to the game, right it was. I agree the way Brooke bold it was even if you looked at it, Joe rude. For all the complaints that sort of had about Joe rut the way he bowled in that four four five overface, he bold it well.
Speaker 1: He tried his best. Although judges I hit him.
Speaker 3: I think soon soon they hit him for three successive boundaries.
Speaker 1: Brook on the other end, was you know, he was testing everyone's patience.
Speaker 3: I think Stokes himself said that I had to go to Brook and say don't do don't do funny things something like that.
Speaker 1: Something like that Stokes in the post match press conference. But it looked ugly.
Speaker 3: It was, you know, had it been he should have been fined for all this should have been fined for. Yeah, this suspect to the game, complete disrespect. And Brooke has a character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know it. I don't know. Hate is a strong word.
Speaker 3: But you can understand why unlike you can understand why the rest of the world don't see the you know, merit in England calling him the superstar and all that you know. Of course England if someone if someone averages fourteen England, he can be a superstar. So that's something that you have to understand. But yes, this Harry Brooke, I don't know for all the talent probably he has. He has not conducted himself well in the last two three years. Wherever he has gone, whatever he has.
Speaker 4: Done, someone should go and give Harry a example of North comply. He had probably more talent than such as a looker. That's what I hear from my uncles and my senior colleagues. But he could never make it big because of his attitude and characters. See whatever hype English media has created around Harry brook Yes, he has a table in Pakistan on a flat road track. In the same series when they put in spin tracks, he was he did not know what to do. Then he comes to India, plays Odiao World Cup, does jack and then I don't know. Yeah, he came for the te day serios, so he did jack apart from one fifty and then he threw away it when they were supposed they was banking on him to get them over the line. Now, even with his high built thing. I was actually irritated. You come in the auction every time and then you pull out. I can understand your feelings where you say that last year. Last year he said that that I lost my grandmother. I want to stay away from cricket. Great understandable now you say it. I want to focus on England cricket. Brother, your predecessors, the guy who won England their first ever Day World Cup made sure I'm talking about, made sure that these English cricketers come and play IPL to become more comparative and know how to tackle the situations. Now, when you know that India are going to host the Icy don't word Cup next year and you are going to lead England, you did not even had the guts to come and play.
Speaker 1: Even Cam Brierson questioned him.
Speaker 4: He said, if I was a Harry book, I would love to come and just see how these tracks are playing.
Speaker 1: One year before that, you don't work up. I would like to get more experience.
Speaker 4: And what better than you're getting paid to play and you're getting the experience which can help a national team.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, I don't see see it might be extremely wrong.
Speaker 3: I am sitting here miles away from where Harry brook Is, but it doesn't seem to be someone who can you know, cope criticism or cope the you know, anger of the fans, like how someone like Birat or Benstok state in the early part of their careers.
Speaker 1: Is he that mentally strong? I don't know.
Speaker 3: So it's you know, it's it's quite it's quite a little be good for him if he kind of doesn't play that hand against and you know, try to win some hearts as well.
Speaker 1: But I think he is that.
Speaker 3: Character, to be honest. I remember his time at SRH twenty two three. He had a string of single digit scores, scored one hundred at Eden against Kolata, full boasted about it. Yeah, very glad to shut up some fans, and then again a string of single digit scores and then got thrown out of the team.
Speaker 1: He's that kind of a.
Speaker 3: Character at the moment at least. But there it's not like England have not had brash characters like if you like Kevin Peterson in his young days, extremely arrogant and brash, do you do he did back it up with his performances, right not of course, of course, of course Andy Flint talk was similar yeah, but we we we've had those characters who are like very they left to talk and that's the character. Also probably England want as the leader of their team after Joe Ruta, where both of these guys Ben Stokes and Harry Brook, they like to talk a lot if they like how Stokes back has backed it up with his batting and bowling both. So even though he's the opposition captain, he commands a certain respect from our end. But you won't have the same with the Harribrook never that's the difference, you know. Stepping back from all this, you know, discussion about Stokes, the spirit of cricket and colonialism and all that. I just wanted to ask looking at this bowling attack, England's bowling attack, which you said Stokes is the only guy who's making things happen. Of course our archer here and there. Is it fair that India are one two down? Where have we led this slip? If they can't pick up more than four wickets over two days, this is a missed opportunity in my opinion in India should have been three nail up or three one up.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, But then again, you know it is always reflected in the results like you are too one down because you did not seize the moments when you had to seize the moments you got chances. In the field, you drop the catches you got chances. While bowling you gave so many excellans the moment your top order had to just step up, especially in the lot. I think Day four they just have to stick to the wicket and make sure that they don't lose wickets. They kept on losing wickets. Gil was dismissed, was dismissed as well was dismissed. And more than that. You know, it's very simple. Any form cricket you play, there are three disciplines where you have to excel batting, molling, fielding.
Speaker 1: What India have done is sledging.
Speaker 4: Is something which you when you when you play someone like Australia.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's where your sledging comes into play.
Speaker 3: A moral posturing. That's not a I.
Speaker 1: Don't I don't count count it.
Speaker 3: I don't count it fifteen minutes here now, why what do you think?
Speaker 1: Why will you it?
Speaker 3: You know, let's call it off. Why like you can call it off right? No, just because just because you are tired, you're making good points.
Speaker 1: I don't want that to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just because you're tired. I will not make good points just because your team is tired. I could not score my handed Why but that came out, I thought, But I realized that I caught it the right movement.
Speaker 3: Great job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there are three disciplines we have to do better than whatever the operation is doing. Batting, bowling, fielding. Now, in the batting department we have been excellent. If you look at the highest than scorers top to at least highest and scores are Indian top two or.
Speaker 1: Top two to. Indian has gone past route. Okay, fine.
Speaker 4: In the boiling department, Bell Chokes is the highest wicket agory in the series. But apart from him, there is no other English bowler in the top three, top four, you have Boma, you have Siraj. The only place where I personally feel we have actually made a mess office the feeling department, we have dropped. We rot too many catches in the leads for England to win the Test match. In the second Test, we bowled well, we feel it well, we batted well. We want a Test match. In the third Test, again, our wicket keeper could not understand the slope of lots, and we considered too many extras. Even the bowlers were bowling erratic lines, and those extras came back to haunt us. Like I said in the last podcast, also India considered like fifty two to sixty puns in extras in the two winnings of England.
Speaker 1: And then you'll want tween durance.
Speaker 4: So you see how disciplined in every field matters pulling, batting and feeling.
Speaker 1: England. On other hand, I'll just finish my.
Speaker 4: Point might not have been the better side while batting, but whenever they have got moments, they have seized it, like ben Zooks did that.
Speaker 1: Run out of punt and lots in the first innings.
Speaker 4: Okay, apart from that, if you see Leeds when they needed to chase down three seventy and they open a step up, we might question Crawley for everything that he hasn't, but in the first is it was him and Duckett who made sure that they gave England a foundation so that they could go and chase.
Speaker 3: Down this one. Also the human ducket.
Speaker 1: So they have actually seized on moments there.
Speaker 4: They don't look the better side statistically, but if you look at the moment twice the moment it feels like this session should decide the result of the match. Okay, we're here, We'll win this session. If even if we have lost the last four sessions, we'll win the fifth session.
Speaker 1: Will match? Yeah, I'll bet that.
Speaker 3: My main problem with this series has been that so eighteen hundreds have been scored already, so clearly the addition of batters is not going to win new Test matches. Whatever said and done in Manchester, you let them score close to seven hundred runs. Things could have gone wrong very quickly. Like you said on Day five, first morning session, every single ball looked like a big wicket ball. If you would have lost Gail early and somebody else early, we could have been in massive, massive trouble. Now, the argument is that the addition of extra batter did end up saving the Test match, but would you not argue that the lack of a bowler put us in that position in the first place. That's my main problem that the selection of the team has been very, very wrong, and my problem is with Gotham Gamire on that one. Okay, yeah, I was about to the very important point, you know, I was about to say that had it not been for Gumby India, would have been I'm sticking to.
Speaker 1: The yeah, you know, for for the bands, Yes, for the bands.
Speaker 3: And there's also a little bit of adamance in in the way the team management is picking the teams. Like you say that I will back Karun Iron and then you don't pick him job and then you come to the press conference and say we don't drop players. No, no, that that he stayed true to we don't drop players, which also means we don't pick players. So good night. Four test matches have happened on flat tracks. That are people are searching for that rough Jadejah last match was heavily criticized for not not looking for that when they could have done better. When when Sro told me that probably before the start of the series or after the end of the Botto Gascar Trophy, that Gambier comes to the press conference only when there is a favorable result, true, I thought, Okay, this might be a stretch, maybe sort of daily Capitals fan not liking great these things might have played a role. But yesterday I saw a drawn test for the first time. He walks up to the press and then he goes after everybody, somebody asks what what is the reason behind Superman Gill's form renewed form? He says, people who doubted Superman Guil didn't understand Creckat. Everybody doubted Superman Gil. Even the Great doubted Superman Gill. But Superann Gill numbers. He did not have the numbers. Insane agree, but you have to agree. Who creat what?
Speaker 1: One? Nothing? You know what?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 1: So this Test match?
Speaker 3: So the fourth Test match, second innings, the way size Shan got out. It screamed to me of that rubbish moment from Geoffrey Boycott, same dismissal, exact dismissive. It's not let's not you know, I don't know whether you justified Geoffrey Boycott.
Speaker 1: That was rubbish from Geoffrey Boycott. As a comm you can't say that about it. It's the moment of that thing.
Speaker 3: A back player by the coach with the similar technical difficulty is not getting dropped just because he got out in the same manner like even But you know, discourse again, in the discourse you have seeing the ball, why did you do all this?
Speaker 1: What the fuck is that all that?
Speaker 3: I didn't a young batter again, kar you say that Okay, three matches he's done. Everybody called for his say now people are saying no, everybody wanted to replace pressIt Chrish now. But when he does, he comes back probably with a nigle, doesn't bowl well in the first Test. No, not a niggle, not an egle. So they said that it almost felt like anshul Combole got down from the flight and got got into the team and they were confused as to does jet lag not have effect on players? And it was not an eight day breakwe there was, but when he came in he hit the net for two days and and came came to the side.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: It is a first test. We have seen some of the biggest player struggle in their first test. Of course, yes so and then again you're calling, oh, preussit might have done well and this this this like how we have a problem with England's moral posturing. The same problem I have will come yeah, same problem every single series. Quittes random bolt. Yesterday in the show, the postmatch show called Gumby out saying that you know it is He said, even even everybody doubted supermun Gill. It's not like even people who understood Tree it down at superann Gill. So that was over the top. He said, Chill, calm down a little bit in press conference. You don't have to be this confrontational when you're coming to the press conference. It's not like you're doing great on the field and then coming to you. It's despite you India two to one in this series despite you. Yeah, yeah, the selection has been horrible like you, like you pointed out, you picked six bowlers, six bowling options, and then you still conceded at seven hundred and you gave Chardt talk E eleven overs over. So the stat is basically that has played two Test matches bold a combined of twenty seven overs before Sharduo including this has bold total of twenty six overs. Then why are you picking that fourth simmer?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 3: It makes no sense. Add a spinner into the side and get done with it. And there was a very good point made by analyst Pressannas and like he said, stop looking at Washington Sounder and Revenge j Ja as regular one commodity spinners, they are half plus half when it comes to spinners.
Speaker 1: They good enough batters.
Speaker 3: Probably they can batter as specialist batters in eleven, especially when Risha punt is not going to be there for the fifth Test.
Speaker 1: Play cool deep as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the past Indian teams have one with spinners, three spinners. You you know, misionsing berries that fab the quartrait doing well in England. Yes, the pitches have changed, but if you are not going to trust shaddle talk, I think throughout the Test. Throughout the Test match their fourth Test, Ardo himself was voicing, Okay, I cannot help. If the captain doesn't give me overs, I can pick up wikets with full tosses.
Speaker 1: Give him twenty hours and see. It's not like Bumra was.
Speaker 3: Doing bowling very well and it's not like Siraj was bowling with control. I thought, if you had to start with majority wicket in Runji's are with the new ball, yes, give it to him. Yes, and he has the experience of controlling at England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, either you pick either you not picking.
Speaker 3: And if if we can figure these things out, so can the data analyst in the team. The question is what calls are being made by the man. Careers are being ruined, Whether Karuna will get another game you don't know, and Shull combouts you don't know.
Speaker 1: Harshetrana, you don't know. As in come back in England.
Speaker 3: He's getting eleven hours in the innings where you have the opposition of scoring seven hundred. It's not like the other bowlers were doing well Washington, soonder was introduced into the attack sixty after sixty eight overs, especially after he picked up four gets in lots. These these are some calls that are baffling. Asn't whether Suman takes it, whether Gilmi takes it.
Speaker 1: You are the head coach.
Speaker 3: You had the you probably had the power to say no to weret and you told them, okay, your Test careers are over. Although sixty eight over means two full sessions, so a meeting must have happened.
Speaker 1: Absolutely in the break.
Speaker 3: Things could have been said there, but I don't know. We don't know these things.
Speaker 4: And yes, exactly when I was watching the press conference, we went niche for a break after the end of play, so we listened to whatever he was said.
Speaker 1: And my first session was this.
Speaker 4: Looks like an Australian captain who had just won five World Cups the way he speaks. But then you go and check his track record as an Indian head coach in Test get so you won two matches against Manadesh lost three against Tuesdays at home. First time ever you got Vies was whitewatched. Then you went to Australia, won one Test match, one was drawn. You lost three there, so you lost. You lost six matches there. Now you lost two matches, so you lost eight matches and you won only four Test matches in the last one year as a head coach. But the way you talk, it looks like you are the greatest Test coach ever born. You won everywhere and whatever you do is God's voice. It can't be changed. Every time he comes out. We are playing for the common man. Got that crap, I've got that trap.
Speaker 1: Playing for the common man. Common doesn't watch cricket. Yeah, they don't have time to wak cricket. Okay, playing for b c.
Speaker 4: I you have that logo on your chest when you're playing for the Indian team and whenever you go out and play every Test match, you will see whenever a doss happens, Gil has to take out the name names of the place and we are like, oh my God. Again in the same mistake, where is cool deep?
Speaker 1: You have taken him. You're not playing, you're not even feeling him.
Speaker 4: In one Test match, a sleep sing was not played for the first three Test matches. He got injured in the photest match, saying yeah, sud.
Speaker 1: He's injured.
Speaker 4: So every decision that this guy has made you we have back. Then you have dropped him. Now you have back strize.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe he will get one more distance. He'll be dropped if he does not perform. So whatever he.
Speaker 3: Said, imagine sort of going to your father when he was when he was still in service, and then telling him when he was was rushing out for telling him, did you watch the match yesterday?
Speaker 1: They played for you?
Speaker 4: You have got a couple of So I made this joke to my mother and I told my mother's not well.
Speaker 1: She has a back pen because she fell.
Speaker 4: So she's like bullshit. They played for me. I can't even stand on my feet to watch him. What do you what do you mean by they played for me?
Speaker 3: Small person is terrible man.
Speaker 4: It's somebody whoever is the manager, whoever is the man who takes control of the pier, needs to tell him that you are no more the MP from the LEI. You are the coach of integracketing. Talk like a cricket expert. So I talk like the expert who was doing sure one year before.
Speaker 3: I saw I saw a tweet on social media during the when we were struggling in the with the ball in the Manchester test. Thank goodness, is not in the commentary box. He wouldn't have spared this team. Yes, that was the guy.
Speaker 1: You know, He wouldn't have spared this team. You have asked tough questions. But when you even journalists or not even asking tough questions that day.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, that's not because of the journalists previous test much. I don't was it previous testment. I'm not very sure. So the journalist goes on to ask something to gum be here and he shouts at him. Yeah, he shouts at him, shuts down the question. If you want to be confrontational, I am one hundred percent sure that no journalist would in the press room would have a problem with that. But let them ask their questions and then you answer. You know, I think at the end of this Anderson Trophy, we should have Stokes and Gambier in the same press conference and have a moral posturing contest between both of them.
Speaker 1: We will win that, I think. No, I don't think he will win that he will shout, and he will shout.
Speaker 3: What if it's a draw and somebody loses morally that might happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I would have loved to see Gamber come out and talk when England has go six nine months, because then he and he sent then he sent India bowling coach Moner Marker and ESPs reporter Matt Rowler said it. He made a video and said, I think this has to be one of the longest press conferences I've ever seen. It was, Yeah, twenty twenty five minutes of press conference where everyone was shooting tough questions to Morning Marker and every after every listening to any question, Yeah, you're right, we have to answer it like this.
Speaker 3: And he was very kind to veryone that he was speaking to. This reminds me of Shunted from Pakistan. Every time they would lose, a would come to answer question.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe looking at the bowling performances of Indian team. Since has become the head coach, I think the post that Morning Michal has got is the post of bowling coach. But he's not doing the job as bowling coach. His job is to face the press when the team is losing that is what he's played for. I think because the bowlers are not doing well, but he's doing very well. In the press conference, he's coming, he's very kind to a reporter, He caters to everyone, He answers everyone very politely.
Speaker 1: I think there's a difference. They should decide his role first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, looking ahead, I said, like the fifth Test is just three days away, there's no turnaround time. How will the two teams approach it? Like do you see changes in Indian side? So let's start with India.
Speaker 1: I think definitely you have one four stain, there's no punk. Yeah, you're playing in is going to play.
Speaker 4: Because the poor lad has kept wicket for last two Test matches, not even bad one. Well, like it happened, it needs to happen now.
Speaker 1: But you never know, you never know. Yeah, we know with them here.
Speaker 4: But I will presume that if Roseel has been with this side for the entire series, he will get a chance in the last Test match.
Speaker 3: You mean like a human uish for un who has been carried for two years now.
Speaker 1: He's in the squad. Sorry.
Speaker 4: Apart from that, you have again questions on whether will play or not.
Speaker 1: What do you think should he play or not?
Speaker 4: Definitely should play, but he has said that he'll play only three Tests. I don't see again, I'm saying this when you know that this team has a chance to draw.
Speaker 1: The series and retain the trophy.
Speaker 4: Retain the trophy you won the series at home, play this Test match?
Speaker 1: Do not go? Do not play a home Test series? Why not? Because right now if you see.
Speaker 4: If you look at the Verklo management thing, even Sihar has played all four Test matches, so.
Speaker 1: You will also play the few Test match combos.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's getting the next stress after what happened with him in Manchester. Maybe an Acasto comes back, comes back. That's going to be there and I would love to see, as you said Kulipia though, playing the last Test as a spinner, because the Windza is as good as a batter, especially when you don't have a Risha Punk. You need Jadza to play solely as a batter. So bring in as a bowler who can actually like King stick Mention, who can actually exploit the rough patches on day four, day five wickets whenever.
Speaker 3: Even more than that, you know Deep as a bowler has those variations. You know he has those googlees, His action is still you know a little bit of mystery for these guys. When they go for those big shots, they will think twice right, Okay, I can hit Jeneja.
Speaker 1: I don't know with the spin, but can I do that with these are the questions.
Speaker 3: See Cold might not come and take a five wicket hauld Culdip might just maybe Ellekue runs one hundred runs for one wicket. But you should try these things right When will you then try Kuldip who has a mystery about his bowlying. He has built a reputation over the years. He has made these English batters dance at te in home conditions.
Speaker 1: Give him a go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you can give a hand a test abute, we're not even part of the playing level squad, you can give chance.
Speaker 3: More importantly, the existing setup is not working out exactly. They're scoring a lot of runs every single innings that they got to battle needs someone to take wickets from.
Speaker 1: The other end.
Speaker 3: On that Boomera point, it was Boomera's a workload in Australia, excessive or not? Yeah, he played four Tests. He bowl one hundred and fifty one overs his and twenty was I think correct? In how many tests? Half tests. He did not bowl and a half tests. We are just thirty overs away both innings combined from another breakdown. Considering that one fifty one point two is the breakdown where Boomra's limit has been reached. We ideally don't want that even though there is a break or there is a series. See if you keep on, think another another back to play, another back in another stress fracture, and he's done. He's done, He's finished.
Speaker 1: You already don't what he will say. His body will say that.
Speaker 3: I think it's said. We saw we saw that in the last Test match. But then you was tired. If you had two days time feet up. True, you can expect Richa Pan to walk out with a fractured leg. Yeah he could. It could have been career threatening for him. Batters, you always say that it's a batter's game. I don't you see I yes, hats soft boom what he has done. But this, you know, work out management for he pointed out has been a work horse in the series fourth Test. I'm only saying that because I don't this is the mess up that is created. The absolutely this is the mess that this is the best started when he played two tests.
Speaker 1: In two tests agains, but did he play that?
Speaker 3: So it started there, So that is the So we have a history for his mistakes which has led us to this point in in the England series. My problem is that I think should not be playing at all.
Speaker 1: That poor Chap.
Speaker 3: Make him take a holiday, send him somewhere, give him one bloody vacation. He will have to lead that attack in the home series. Also, is not going to play. How do you know Bom might not play?
Speaker 1: Is not.
Speaker 3: Will tell you one hundred against But yeah, so who do we have left? Then his face fit questions We said all he does not know Jack that, but he has said it.
Speaker 1: He has confirmed that all.
Speaker 3: He also said that Corona will be back for the five Test matches.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 3: Still might have felt bad about what other failure is in the back of the team bus backed he might have plans for him in the home series. Yeah, sure, I will believe that. It doesn't believe that what happened.
Speaker 1: To after that's series against England, when is waiting at home.
Speaker 4: Chance I think carries over and when you must have seen that food that has gone weld, he and all talking it gave me wives of Ashnan. We're not Cooley talking in Australia, and then we hear Russiana has retired.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows making The.
Speaker 3: Problem is I understand the romance that you started with in that draw where you said that he draws are perhaps more romantic than generic wins in test create. I agree to that. My problem with this setup is that under gum here the two biggest celebrations that we have made is avoiding follow on in Australia and this drawing England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why what have we come down to your You.
Speaker 3: Know, my biggest concern is the first time you have won, you have you know, actually had a batting unit that stood up, this young batting unit should be credited for what it has done, and then you you just blow it up, your one two down against an England bowling lineup that you know is like he said, though, could I seriously you know, if you if they would have been better served with James Anderson in the eleven Yeah, but at this stage James Rosen would have helped him pick more wickets in Manchester, That's what I'm saying. But maybe you would not have liked this pitch home. I think he was removed for his complaints about the pitch. Maybe you must have said Anderson. Yeah, Anderson could have probably had one or two more years in him, right, So for the what's your eleven for the Manchester your old test India? Yeah, I have no clue, man, I think I think we stick to the eleven that we have the only changes. I have no trust that will play either. Yeah, and hopefully I'm jinxing it so he plays. I think Boomera sits down, Deep comes in Mohammed sirage, I'm not very sure one of one. So I am wrestling Boomra to preserve and bring in a cash Deep and I don't know our Deep if he's fit instead of that's the all. I am one hundred person't sure that the rest of the team does not change. What about me? As like the batting United States jul and obviously choice choice, that's a force change. I'm not going to probably drop size does after this. He scored fifty in the first things. Give him another test. I think it should be for me after punt, after the jil it will be uh sooner Jadeja and plays off in place of Shardo or maybe play Chardo dep in.
Speaker 1: Place of An And then you have nine ten.
Speaker 3: What will you end up is why your coaches ego first stallings both Siraj and Muma breakdown absolutely are going with no one in the team. Now, I will play Boom both as deep in places of Shard and cool Deep in place of Anul. That's all that is mine. That's a lot of changes made. Change four changes.
Speaker 4: Three No, you removed Sar, he removed Anshul, he removed punt yeah three three okay, yeah, yeah fine.
Speaker 1: I think for the for the home series also, I'll play with this.
Speaker 3: I don't know where what Axce is going, how they're going to bring in ax Maybe they've forgotten him that he's a test cricketer that's good and all around and Washington Center if not better. I don't know what they're going to do with him, but if you go by the current aid, then Sooner and Jena play all the home tests. So I think Aer they have forgotten because they give him the tour run of Vice Captaincy in White Wall and then they've told him that test Washington. So there is my test guy. So that that overlap does not happen. You need to probably prepare him as for a post also, so you need to give him a deep I.
Speaker 1: Don't know you has to become a batter to get a spot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the next time when you meet, the series might have been decided. Yeah, series would have been decided to have been decided. Whether it's two one two, one two two or three one three reels possible.
Speaker 3: So what are your predictions, see Gumby, I'm just pleading get the team combination right. Give boomra if you're playing boom could support a good attacking wicked taking options who can you know?
Speaker 1: Uh to some something?
Speaker 3: Don't just rely on Boomera or bust and then this England side is beatable. Espe Actually with the mental age with you now, I hope Gil and the rest of the team. Stokes might not Pokes, Spokes Stokes.
Speaker 1: He's gonna play Stokes, he.
Speaker 4: Might not, might not, but he will plays going to play.
Speaker 3: This is gonna play. Yeah, what is your predictions?
Speaker 1: And very very confused.
Speaker 4: But by the looks of it, whatever happened on day five, Ben Stokes must be riled up as much as socisty is. If his body allows, If his body allows, he will surely look to turn the Test match again on his own bowling and feeling and batting. But considering whatever has happened with his Indian team, I would hope there would be some since in our coaching staff, they will pick the right eleven and for once we will show England that they're all. This hype of baseball is again a crap because this young Indian side has come and drawn a Test series. So I'm backing this Indian deean to draw a Test series.
Speaker 1: Two to you, let's finish with you.
Speaker 3: For me, the question is not what the result is. What I want from this series, Let's shake, cancel, let's finish. What I want is gummy out. I'm gonna be very blunt about it. Okay, what I want is gum be out because I don't want to suffer another home series and then go to the World Cup Boomra is not playing. I don't want to all that jack just by that logic, I want to draw or a loss draw for my sex at least I don't have to see and then says I'm.
Speaker 1: Not coaching anymore, will be sacked. Will have to be sacked for him to if.
Speaker 3: You give him a chance a test coach as a white ball especially see I think Gambi is of the same mold as Uli.
Speaker 4: So will either be the head coach of all formats or he will not be the head coach of any format. He will be he is the guy he's like, oh my god, you don't want me to coach in tests, I'll not coaching audience.
Speaker 1: Bring go and find a new.
Speaker 3: Twenty white ball is a little easier, I think, because you are getting finished products from ipl so where you have to actually like build someone up play in different conditions on different balls. Gumbiir hasn't delivered at all, and plus has that arrogance that I am right. You might be right, but it's not showing. So stop shouting at other people who are asking you questions. Shout at yourself. Go in front of the mirror, take a hard look, and then ask yourself, what is the result that I have served over the last one year period? How many test matches have I won? And how have I won them? Go ask that first. I'm doing everything for the common man, So let's ask the common man what their thoughts are about the Manchester drama that ensured whether Penstokes was you know, frustrated, was right in doing what he did, and also the big question about whether Gotha Mumbie should continue regardless of the result. In the fifth and final test of this well for Anderson Telecotrophy, you can send in your thoughts on eight five double a nine double six double nine six.
Speaker 1: If you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple can.
Speaker 3: Ending ending it here again, I think we've often repeated quite too often. Yeah, if you're listening to us on Spotify and Apple podcasts, please do rate us. And, like we always say, if you're watching us on YouTube, please leave your comments. We'll be more than happy to learn your feedback. Thank you, have a great week. We'll meet you after the old test