Speaker 1: What's a moon bag of floaty? Is that even a thing?
Speaker 2: Do you want to know what floaty is?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Go on, then floaty is is a dog.
Speaker 4: So floaty token was a new generation of dog coins. There's a whole host of crypto dog coins, and some of them do very very well, especially when we start to see that there's not much money in the system, and then there starts to become money in the system.
Speaker 2: People decide to invest.
Speaker 4: In in speculative assets in their droves. So things like doge coin and floaty and fart coin tend to do really well.
Speaker 2: So it's a crazy world we live in.
Speaker 1: You see, I'm.
Speaker 2: Come along in the journey. We will teach you.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to go anywhere near that journey, but I do want to see. Rachel Reeves stood in front of an assembled throng of blokes who work in an engineering company and their bosses told them, Look, you're gonna have to stand behind that woman who's got sort of hair that looks like a motorcycle helmet. Who are Yeah, got to stand behind her, and she's going to talk, and you've got to look interested and don't pull funny faces. And they're going okay, and she stands up. She said, well, the government will focused on gaining growth and it's all going to be done through fart coin. Now, if she did that, I would suddenly have a new found respect for the Chancellor of the Exchequer. If she said, listen, lads, I'm actually going to go and put the Bank of England on fart coin, that would actually be a tick in the box finally for this labor government fart coin.
Speaker 5: This weekend, one of Britain's foremost nature writers asked me, have you listened to that podcast that Richard Nigus does. It's okay, but he talks about Rachel Reeves a lot.
Speaker 1: Obviously didn't listen that much, foremost nature writer, because he's talking about me. What a Well, of course I talk about Rachel Reeves because, and I'll tell you why I talk about Rachel Reeves is because I've come to the conclusion that she is, largely with her colleagues in the Treasury, is largely the cause of all our woes. You know, clearly Keir Starmo isn't actually the Prime Minister. He's just sitting there sort of what's that sort of coloring thing that you do that looks Mandela is it called or is that Nelson Mandela Mandola or something like? You do this funny coloring thing that's supposed to take your your mind off the fact that you know that your life is imploding, and if you do coloring is suddenly better. And so I think, what that's all Starmer does? He just sits in the corner doing all right, and he's put all the responsibility onto Rachel and she is now just sat there, probably listening to Callum for advice. I reckon he's got she's got Callum on speed dial and go Callum with fart coin. Yeah, I thought you did well.
Speaker 5: This is the peril of recording in the middle of the day because now I don't know if you're you've been day drinking, or this is you sort of in an unregulated mode.
Speaker 2: I've just had my first sip of sugar after six coffees.
Speaker 1: I've just had some gold blend. It's and that's it. Probably see most of the time when I'm when we're recording this of an evening, I've got a large whiskey which will go and calm me down. And now I've been off today this morning to go and look at some hedgerows at Willy Lott's Cottage, which those of you who are fans of the work of John Constable all know Willy Lot's Cottage quite well, that beautiful at Flatford there of his paintings. I was there, raced back, organized two more hedges to go and look out to people. Talked about the management of hedgerow margins with some people about how possibly of cutting regimes may go and influence overwintering insects. And now I'm here, you see, whereas usually I'm speaking to at night half drunk, and this is me sober. So how worrying is that.
Speaker 5: Relatively we're getting a different flavor? And I think before we go into anything for the rest of the episode, and going to drop a disclaimer in saying that we are recording this on Tuesday, the tenth of June, so tomorrow is the mid year spending review announcements from the government. So if everything has gone terribly wrong by the time this episode comes out to the public on Friday, the reason we're not talking about it is because at the boat, which it's just a fear, not a not a known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, genuinely talking about crypto.
Speaker 4: I am one hundred percent sure that at some point we'll put bitcoin as like something that we own, not just the all the ones that we took off naughty people and confiscated, but we will have on a balance sheet.
Speaker 5: Somewhere as a as a country, do you mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, not just on a road, just as a podcast.
Speaker 2: That would be good.
Speaker 5: Although I already have to declare my crypto earnings.
Speaker 4: You can donate via the kofee app. You could just I don't know, give us all, like ten bitcoin would be would be really nice.
Speaker 5: Just just ten bitcoin could keep Callum out of, you know, having to go and do any work for a year.
Speaker 4: I mean it's loose, I'd loosely describe it as work, but it apparently is well. It does sometimes pay the.
Speaker 2: Bills, Callum.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been paid for anything proper in bitcoin?
Speaker 4: I have never been paid in bitcoin. But in twenty fifteen a man gave me. He was part of the Ethereum Foundation, and I did a thing called Break the block Hakkathon, which was seeing if we could use blockchain to solve real world problems. And he gave me this little stupid card thing that was a crypto wallet with twenty peas worth of ethereum.
Speaker 2: So I decided at that point.
Speaker 4: To set up my crypto wallet with the twenty P and then he gave me another one just for good measure.
Speaker 2: So I was like, okay, no worries. I went on.
Speaker 4: I logged onto a thing called Kraken, set an account up, and then I tried to do the deposit, and then I had to uplin id and all sorts of very difficult things. So for it's not worth me spending no bear in mind, I'm charging a fair amount per hour. It's not worth me spending two hours to redeem twenty P. So I'm going to do it. I should put like one hundred quid in set it, forget it whatever, And I never bothered to actually put the money into the account. And then when crypto piques my interest again some five years later, I just out of curiosity googled what my twenty P would have been worth. At the point when Crypto had piqued my interest again, twenty P had turned into eight hundred pounds. Good God, And somehow, somewhere, I'm fairly sure I still have the wallet with twenty p on and all the codes that go with it. I just don't know where it is. I've moved house since, and I know it's somewhere in a box. I did have a rough look for it, but yeah, somewhere. I've got sixteen hundred quid on two little cards given to me by one of the founding members of the Ethereum Foundation.
Speaker 5: You're like the TMU version of that guy with a landfill, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Or the bitcoin pizza guy. Do you know about the bitcoin pizza guy? So a man in I don't know, god knows, twenty ten or something bought a pizza with his bitcoin millions, and let's google so you can get an accurate amount of how much his pizza is worth in today's value.
Speaker 5: Live googling is always great podcast material. Yeah, but no, go on, No, we're keeping this in because we want to hear in basilic you are.
Speaker 1: Go on?
Speaker 4: So he paid one ten thousand, ten thousand bitcoins for a pizza?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yes, so ten thousand bit coins.
Speaker 2: Ten thousand.
Speaker 4: I don't even know how to I don't know how much. Where's the where's the decimal places go? In the eight o six, eight hundred and eight hundred and six million pounds currently at today's prices.
Speaker 1: I bet he also had pineapple on it as well. God, yeah, that's a lot of money in't it.
Speaker 2: I don't know what do you want me to google what type of pizza is?
Speaker 1: No, because I'm not actually that interested. But the long and the short of it is it's all mumbo jumbo. Although I did have a friend in Newmarket who did a similar sort of thing, which more our listeners will probably understand, is that he had a hot tip from the head lad of a certain of a certain of a certain yard and said, I've got hot tip here, and all sat around a table. Then he said, you've got to go and put put some money on this horse of ours that's running in a cellar somewhere like Lingfield tomorrow. And so he all collected the sort of ten pound notes off of everyone who sat around the table, and I think it made to about sort of one hundred quid to go and put it on it. And it was a twenty five to one shot, and he thought, he looked at the form and he thought, there is no way that thing is going to win. So he basically put it in his pocket, forgot about it and thought, I've made a hundred quid. I won't go and put it on, say sorry, lads, you know, didn't come in, and then, of course, to his horror, the twenty five to one shot came in and all of a sudden he's got to go and find two and a half thousand pounds to go and share around with his ten mates. And he did actually do that because he didn't want to get sort of beaten up, I think, because otherwise being a welcher was not a good thing. So, I mean, that's just one of those things. As far as I'm concerned, Bitcoin sounds like dodgy betting and magic beans. And I'm sure that a pizza could be worth nearly a billion pounds, but we know that pizza is not worth a billion pounds. So I don't actually believe in bitcoin, but I do, Calum, However, by your ideas.
Speaker 4: Economies work, I'm not sure that's how valuations work.
Speaker 1: But understood this mumbo jumbo.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a rural thing with with bitcoin and crypto very quickly. But when you go to county shows and game fairs and things like that, there are a few of these companies.
Speaker 3: That are.
Speaker 5: They sort of stand there with vague signs about investing in bitcoin and all sorts of things, and what a lot of these businesses are are basically they rent space on your farm, in one of your buildings, or if you've got renewables or energy generation on your estate. On your farm, they will say, well, can we come and park our crypto rigs, our machines that mine all this cryptocurrency. Can we park it on your land and take off some of your renewables and then we'll give you a share of the profits that we make from it. Which all sound really good, but I know of two places that where they've said, well, we need a constant power supply to these machines. If they go down, everything's lost, So we need to put it into the mains as well. And if it goes onto the mains, then you pay for that power. And I know of two places where they've put it right next to a hydro plant, had a huge shipping container running all these crypto rigs. It was going really well for a couple of months, and then there was a hiccup in the supply and it switched over to MAINZ and then carried on running on the mains for six months. Eight months after that. I think one place had a thirty five thousand pound electric bill for one month for what they were running on, and that pretty much wiped out the two years profits. Thank you one goo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see the trouble with being in a place where we have, like I think it's only behind Germany, we have the highest price of electricity is it's not very profitable. But countries that have got surplus electricity, place like Iceland and even countries in the UAE are using the low cost of energy to then add bitcoin onto the balance sheet and then sell the bitcoin off or keep it as a strategic reserve. So it works if your cost of power versus computational power is level, but if you have stupid electricity prices like we do in the UK, then it is rubbish.
Speaker 5: There we go. So what have you been up to there?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: I've been up to well. I have had nothing to do with anything Krypto anything out. No, it's not because I don't know what it goes on. I've been to all sorts of exciting hege coin, edge coin. I have been though down to that there Southwest and twice actually since I last spoke with you. First of all, I went down to Cheltenham and to the Cheltenham Science Festival.
Speaker 2: You're very smart.
Speaker 1: Well yes, well one tries, you know. And what I did at Cheltenham was I was I did a talk and it was quite funny because as myself and Paul Lamb, who has written the other Hedge book of Thorn and Bryer, and what a fascinating man he was. Actually holy having met him, I think he's wholly legit and a thoroughly good egg and an interesting He lives was certainly lived most of the time in a horse box. And I said to him, I said, I'm not being funny, mate, I said, but you know, when I get in from work after Hedge lay enough so I wouldn't want to just go and kip in the back of a horse box. And he explained to me that basically what he'd done he'd split up with his partner, the mother of his two daughters. And he said that when he realizes that when they sort of split the money from his house up, that he hadn't got the wherewithal to be able to rent or buy a house in the area of the countryside where he lives down in the southwest there. So he basically kitted out an old Bedford TK horsebox really quite palatially and he drives that around a bit like these people do with narrow boats, you know, with quite a swanky interior and whatnot. So he just drives around the country doing in his in his horse box, which he showed me some photographs that are actually quite palatial anyway, So he and I went and gave a talk. We were interviewed by a lovely lady called Anita Setti who has written a couple of books and she sort of does stuff on what's it called spring Watch and whatnot. And it went down really well and we were sold out one hundred and seventy.
Speaker 2: Parce I saw her.
Speaker 4: Actually she posted something as a collaborator on your sister face.
Speaker 1: Yes, on Insta face it was, and yeah, it was very nice. I was, I'll be honest, I was a bit cautious because I thought, my god, Cheltenham Science Festival, you know, I'd just imagine there'd be lots of sort of people in lab coats or talking Latin, but it wasn't. So we went down an absolute storm and sold lots of books, came home and then I went down to the West Country again and I went to the Exeter Comedy Festival. I stayed with Joe Dimbleby, who's the head of comms for the GWCT in his place there and had absolute hoot staying with him, and then went to the Extra Comedy Festival, and I have to say I went to a sold out gig once again, although admittedly this was in a book shop, so it was seating for about thirty so it wasn't quite so hard to sell that one out, and talked about my book and stuff. And I did that with Will Adamsdale, who I think I've said in a show a couple of weeks ago about that was going to do with him. He is absolutely hilarious, a proper bona fide ee Perier Award winning comedian, an actor. And he said he was very interested on just how a slightly more mainstream rather than me being a comedian just sort of blithering away like we do on this and he gave the podcast a very good plug and said everyone had to go and listen to us, because you know, this is we'd see the unexpagated version of the Countryside if you listen to Country Slide and crypto yeah and stuff that no one understands. Yeah, And that all went well, and then I came back with a slightly roundabout route and I went to visit a wonderful man called David Hopley. And David was when I was a boy, was a huge inspiration to me. He's the man who taught me how to cast a fishing fly. He was. He taught me all about mink hunting. He taught me a lot of what I know about I suppose a lot of hunting. Really, he was an avid hunting type. He was master of a pack of Welsh foxhounds. He was a master of a pack of mink hounds, and just a thoroughly nice And he's now retired. He is in his late eighties and he lives absolutely out in the middle of nowhere in the quants. And my god, my ears went pop and my nose bled because of all the altitude sickness that I suddenly encountered. But it was beautiful to go and see him, And it was strange I hadn't seen him for thirty three years. I worked out. Yet we probably carried on our conversation where we'd left off, which was winging about government and they don't understand our country ways. So that yes, so basically one a tour of the Southwest armed with a book and a smile on my face.
Speaker 5: You know, the Exeter's like barely the West Country. It's still the South Really, Wow.
Speaker 1: That's set spoken like a cornishment, isn't it what you say?
Speaker 5: You could travel for another two and a half hours west of there and still be in what it's meant to be England. Yeah, you know it's that's like say an hours in the Far East by being in Sussex.
Speaker 1: I get what you're saying, and I have to say I think that's it's more doubt. No. Apparently where they never say what we are. We're either the south of England or we're in the Midlands. See, if we're a BBC, they give us this their area for sort of the look East. It starts in about Northampton and hey, what's that got to do? Or they'll start talking about bloody Luton or something something's happened in Luton. I think, what's that got to do with us? At least the ITV have got the good grace to accept that there is this place called East Anglia.
Speaker 4: I did a job a few years back in Falmouth and what what a topographical heuscape that is try and walk. Like imagine having a two pints and trying to walk somewhere. It is like you don't walk, actually, you climb. It's like lands a Rotti. It's got that same kind of nastiness that makes every kind of two minute walk an impossible venture to wherever.
Speaker 5: Either have you actually been anywhere properly hilly like the Alps?
Speaker 4: Or yeah, but it's nice there, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the locals are quite friendly. Whereas if you go, like to the Highlands of Scotland, the mountains of Wales or Cornwall, it's like, no, there's just people with sticks who are nasty, especially.
Speaker 4: If you just start grunting and bloody ship here, isn't it?
Speaker 2: What do you need.
Speaker 5: Steps about your own country?
Speaker 1: Isn't it exactly? See? I I have been. I've been. I've been to the Alps. I've been to the mont Blanc. I've been. Obviously, Yeah, I went up mont Blanc. It was a bit a bit scary. I think the problem is that I find them alien scary. I find mountains just and hills, even hills. I look at it, I go, but it seems alien to me. And is that a parochial trait?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I absolutely love Lake Annisy, and I've camped there as.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: It technically is in the Alps, but it's not like mad in the Alps. But the sun hits the rocks, so lots of people go. Is it paragliding, parasailing one of those things you just look up in the air and there's just loads of people hanging around because the thermal activity.
Speaker 2: Is really good.
Speaker 4: They stay up there for like hours sometimes well like forty five minutes an hour. They just they jump off a point at the top and they just stay in a fermal for a long long time. But yeah, I went on a hike. I took my son and he was three years old. We got all the way to the top of this thing and it is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and the waterfall right at the top, and then he decided to drop a nap on me at the top. So it said like a forty minute hike, but it ended up it was really hot, and it ended up being with a three year old, it ended up being about an hour and twenty minutes something like that. And then on the way down he drops the nap on me and I'm carrying a three year old down and mountain, which was challenging. It's very sweaty the heavy day, but it's such a nice place.
Speaker 2: The French are.
Speaker 4: The French have such a different way of life that.
Speaker 2: It definitely doesn't happen here. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe even the rural parts of the world it does happen, but you just sort of wander down. People stay out way later than they do here. They are just drinking by the river, chilling out, playing platon where and loads of people will come down to play. That game is a bit like bulls or jacks or something, and there's people of all ages playing stuff like that, all socializing. Just a very different way of life. You don't really see that kind of kind of thing here.
Speaker 5: We used to, like there used to be we used to have more of a similarity to that continental thing. You still see it in places, but it's mainly places where people aren't concerned about their future income or stuff like that, which tends not to be the rural areas of Britain at the moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe that is the whole Who's got time. You notice that the more pushed we get in terms of the economy, and the cost of living and stuff. The less time people have for all those leisure activities like the fishing. Fishing seems to have dropped off because nobody can sort of take a Friday off and do a Friday Saturday on the bank and afford to not be working and stuff like that. A number of people fishing and doing recreational activities has probably dropped off quite significantly.
Speaker 5: Well, I know, somebody was saying that to me the other day that they can see there being basically a future where all of those kind of activities that require quite a bit of effort to go out and do might just become the preserve of the retired, because, yeah, if you've got work to do or the something, particularly if you're self employed, there's always something to do. You don't feel comfortable enough or relaxed enough to just take your day off or even half a day off or go out for a couple of hours. You know, there's always something else with more priority to do, which is a bit Yeah, I find that.
Speaker 1: I think that, you know, it's it's a curious thing because you would think that in times of adversity that people would actually want to go out and do some of more of those things, you know, because after during lockdown, there were so many people going reopen the pubs, reopen the pubs, and you think, oh gosh, there's actually more people wanting to use pubs than you'd think for And I think, actually it's just people liked the idea of it. I think that just on the whole, people are damn idle. You know, they don't want that. They like the idea of doing stuff. But when you can go and buy beers cheaper in the supermarket, you've got eighty three billion different channels on the TV, and people just kind of just lost the habit of going and making entertainment and socializing with others. And if you want to socialize, well you've got a WhatsApp group, or you can listen to Country Slide. You know, you could actually create a bar in your shed. You could put Country Slide on, sit there drinking a pint, and you could pretend that you were sat in any country pub listening to three slimming idiots chatting away. You know, why would you need.
Speaker 4: It's probably someone doing that right now. That's just just looking up at the window, just to make sure that you're not actually spying exactly.
Speaker 2: They're in there, they're in their bar.
Speaker 4: They've just opened the thing, put put the headphones on there, Like, are you talking about mister mummy?
Speaker 1: Is he people watching again? I thought I had restrained order.
Speaker 2: We're talking about you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: You those slippers with those with those pajamas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get your hands out. If you wrote your hands recently.
Speaker 5: You're not meant not meant to eat it as well, mate, Just just wipe.
Speaker 1: It down the dirty I mean honestly, No, no, no, no, don't do that. That's mags poop.
Speaker 5: It's not that's not a Garibaldi Richard.
Speaker 1: What have you been up to this week?
Speaker 5: Well, before I launch into what I've been up to this week, I have to drop in a notification that there's an extended version of this episode and add free version of this episode and access to all sorts of things like our exclusive financial advice financial advice not financial Advice, our exclusive WhatsApp group that is all available to our patrons. And you can become a patron by going to well Patreon dot com and we'll just go to the link that's in our bio, or go to countryslide dot co dot UK Forward Slash Support Also, if you don't want to just join that thing and you just want to give us a one off payment, then suddenly gone on there called kofee where you can just literally throw us a couple of quid. This doesn't get spent on lavish weeks away or fishing trips for calum or anything like that. It literally just goes to paying for the server for the podcasts and the editing software and things like that. I think even Richard is funding most of the rest of the show out of his vast royalties from his book, which apparently is out. So you know, if you want to support that and add something extra to it, then just do that. Because the four pounds that Richard's given us from the book really has has helped fill the coffers a bit. But if you want to just top that up a bit, go along to Countryslide dot co dot uk forwarge Slash support. So I've been. I went to the far south east of England or Sussex as it's known, and I did a thing that it is a festivalus so it's a South Downs Nature and Food Festival or something, and I think there was some sort of mistake because everyone else speaking there was a well known nature writer. So there's Roger Morgan Grenville, and then there was Mark Cocker, and there was a guy called Charles Dowding who was a writer and a YouTuber, and then there was me. And then people get asking me whether where my book was. And I think there was some sort of mistake because when I said I'm a writer, it's not the articles for a few places and just write stuff on the back of.
Speaker 2: A fat packet and pass it to Callum when he's the book coming out my book.
Speaker 5: I don't know. I think that all the publisher deals have gone. Well, I've written some stuff, but chat GPT is down today, so nobody can do any writing.
Speaker 1: Oh is that what?
Speaker 5: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: People are saying that they can't catchually go and do any work at their companies anymore because their AI brain has gone.
Speaker 2: Oh my brain. My brain had to do somethinking today. It was horrible. It was terrible.
Speaker 5: Whilst we're diverting onto this, I'm going to tell you about something it wasn't what I did. Although actually I'll finish off by saying Sussex is a very nice place, but it feels expensive to breathe and I got in my first polo related traffic jam, so that's not an everyday occurrence elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Well, what did you do? Choke on a polon?
Speaker 1: Not volk, Folks aren't polo Caldre park, Oh.
Speaker 5: Horse sticks or something?
Speaker 4: Did you did you wear a sweater over your shoulder and make sure you fit in. I could imagine you sitting next to the pie a lot sort of like all these handsome, handsome men with like perfectly manicured nails and beautiful hair, and then you're just sitting there like Hagrid.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Everybody once said to me that, you know, some men have an air of elegance and grace about them, whereas you, Richard, look like you've come to inquire about the pig.
Speaker 1: I really could great pub that they've been there.
Speaker 2: Calm, yeah, I did.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about wheelbarrows briefly. Good My life is a comedy of wheelbarrows at the moment. So I need to buy some wheelbarrows for our CIC because we've been funded for a project. So I need to buy what kind of Well, that's the thing I need to I've got a budget of a certain amount of money, several hundred pounds to buy wheelbarrows and we've got to sort of sea fit. So I ordered a load from Wheelbarrows dot co dot UK, you know, thinking they we do wheelbarrows, and then they went, oh, we can't deliver them for them for a month, that's all right, fine, so and then a month came by. Oh, well, well we'll deliver them at some point, right, and then we've sent them on the way to you. Okay. Oh they couldn't get in right, did they ring the bell?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: So they're on our way back to us. This can have a refund only when they've come back to us. What do you mean, Well, only when the wheelbarrows are back with us, and we know that they're back with us and they won't get delivered again here from the courier for two weeks, then you can have a refund. So hang on, that's not how it works. I haven't where's my wheelbarrows? You haven't given me any wheelbarrows. I want my money back. Oh no, our terms and conditions won't let us do that, right, fine, So fighting with them for ages or did more wheelbarrows from somewhere else, And today one of them was delivered, except it wasn't a wheelbarrow. It was a radiator.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think you're going to get much.
Speaker 1: On the right.
Speaker 5: And then I had to ring the place and said, look, you've sent me a radiator. Oh I'm sorry. That appears to be a picking era. Right. Can you take it back to our store? No, come and get your bloody radiator. Oh well, well we can't. If we have to arrange a collection, we might have to charge you for it. No, I've ordered wheelbarrows from you. Send me my wheelbarrows. You, for some reason, have gifted me a radiator. I don't want it. Come and take your radiator.
Speaker 2: Did you pay credit card?
Speaker 5: This is the thing that they said, Oh, well, if you do a charge back, it'll take thirty days. I right, I'm going to go and find your corporate offices and we're coming to visit with a mock spreader, bloody wheelbarrows. Yeah no, this thing of well, can you drop it in at one of our stores. No, we're in the middle of nowhere. It take me half an hour to get out of the valley alone to one of your stores.
Speaker 4: Probably be an automated process, so just say it didn't turn up.
Speaker 5: Well, no, they've center photo of it being delivered to the proof of delivery of a bloody radiator.
Speaker 1: How could you go and make a picking era of saying a will barrow? I mean, look, you would have to be pretty I mean, I mean, do they employ blind pickers.
Speaker 5: I know we're talking about, you know, jokingly, about the decline of the country in economy and things like that.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 5: We're all doomed. We actually are, because every little system is collapsing, every little customer service thing, every little interaction has nobody at any level actually wants Well, it's not in their interest to do a good job. It's to do the bare minimum that they won't be prosecuted for. And even if you do a chargeback, it will take half, it'll take an entire month to get back to you, so they know no one's going to wait that long. So you're stuck with whatever system they make up. There's this term which we used to be applied to things like streaming services and online subscriptions, but it's kind of across everything now, which is in sitification. Everything is being in shitified, everything's getting worse. But because everything's getting worse, Okay, yeah, well we thought you do, but there's nowhere to turn because everything's getting worse at the same time.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, most stuff in the countryside, in farming and what happ not, you still go to. If you want to buy a new tractor, you go and speak to your local tractor dealership and you trust them and they're part of your life. If I want to go and buy a bit of kit just because I don't know we're rigging up an irrigation system for a new hedge that we've done, I don't bother going online. I go down to either Clerks of Walsham or js Laws just down the road to meet from the other way, because I know that I'll speak to a person who not only will go and say odd on, don't buy that stuff. If I sell you this, this and this, it will save you three pounds seventy five. And you need this connection because those connections that come with it are absolutely craps. Or throw those away and have these ones they're on the house. That's why the countryside, why farming works. Just to all the rest of the infrastructure that is on, that is on, that is on, everything else is it. It doesn't work, you know, because it's just relying upon idiots who are who are on I don't know they're they're on something or other time. They don't care. Can you imagine going to your local hardware shop and saying, hello, I want a Hammelin wheelbarrow. Yes, okay, mate, and they'll go out to the back and rather than wheeling through a Hammelin wheelbarrow, they bring you out a children's ball pool and some rat poison and they go there. You go go close enough, Sorry, it's close enough. I'll make you pay for it. And they can say I don't want any of this ship nan, Yeah, you're paid for it. Now off thirty days, come back. You'd set fire to the place, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're onto something with that, because if you like, if you go to Group Fix or tour Station or whatever, everything is cheaper, but you're stuck with whatever corporate system they have. If you go to even one of the chains like Wednesday or Mole Valley Farmers or something like that, you go in there and they're a chain, but everyone who works there probably lives close by. They're probably sons or wives or daughters of, or works adjacent to farmers already, and all the farmers have accounts there so they and they buy everything there, Like there's some places here that they sell everything apart from food for the kitchen. And some of the old bachelor farmers up in the hills, they literally buy all their clothes there and their feed and the water troughs and everything. And those places can't afford to alienate their customer base because word gets out, so they have to be nice, and they have to be It's sort of customer services enshrined into the model, whereas with everything else because you're hidden, be on a call center in terms and conditions, it's infuriating. I don't know, talking of infuriating, callum, how have you spent your time? Because you've done a million things?
Speaker 4: I have done a million things. I've had to try and.
Speaker 2: Cut it down to too yeah, to less than a hundred.
Speaker 1: What were those hundred things? Come on?
Speaker 5: Took photos of fish?
Speaker 4: I did take a thousand photos of fish. I've done a lot of fish and stuff. I also did a shoot the other day with a load of bodybuilders, which looked really fun on my Instagram. That does not fit in with my my the I haven't really got an aesthetic of a grid.
Speaker 2: If I my my career is basically North career or yourself career my North Korea.
Speaker 4: Well, actually my career is think since we started this podcast episode, what I think.
Speaker 5: This podcast is directly linked to your phone, isn't it because your phone stopped ringing when you started this podcast?
Speaker 4: No, the thing is it does ring and I get I get roped into like the most random thing still, and it's so I was photographing bodybuilders and people trans like. So I photographed very muscular men and they I photographed them first, and then they did a workout, and then and then they they after they did a workout, they were like, oh, it's funny because like, you photograph me first, and I look really small, and bear in mind that it looked like someone would teletaate potatoes to their arms. So I'm photographing all these all these men and then they're like, oh, yeah, I was really small to start with, and now you know, now I've done a big workout, I'm really pumped up, and you know, I look a lot bigger and I look a lot better, and I'm just sitting there like and absolutely chubby potato with tits be like, yeah, you know, I feel you're pain like you know, my diets obviously, also as it's extreme.
Speaker 2: I'm glad now. I look Swellen.
Speaker 5: Flexing a lot whilst you were taking the photos to make sure that you've filed.
Speaker 2: No, I was just look, I'll show you the actions.
Speaker 4: I was just repeatedly pushing my tee shirt like this so my fat dad's bod didn't sort of hang over my poorly fitting pair of chinos and make me look like an absolute idiot.
Speaker 5: Just a sidebar. I know a neighbor who said he knew he had to lose weight because when he leant over the electric fence, his dangling stomach hung out from under his T shirt and cause on the electric fence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, decent never had that problem, but I'm sure it's coming. I saw a mean today that said, you know, I've achieved things that most people don't achieve until they're in their sixties, which include hair loss, memory loss, and a great big mony.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 4: I've done exactly the same thing at the tender Age today four. So we did that, and then I did fishing. I'm going to tell you my fishing story. Oh shit, you see that I nearly smashed my whole desk off the table.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 4: It's far too animated, so I went. My friend spoke to me about a gentleman called William who has a farm not too far from where I live, and strangely, his wife told the chap William about the podcast because his wife listens as he's listening to this now. And my friend Simon also told me that his wife was listening to it without him, which he was very upset about. And I think there probably should be a word for that kind of adultery when you have a mutual agreement to listen to or review something together and then the other person goes behind your backing and gets an episode ahead. I mean, it's modern day adultery. It's probably one of the reasons one ground for divorce. You only need three.
Speaker 5: Extreamat stream teater.
Speaker 2: Well, hopefully they're listening to this together right now. Thanks.
Speaker 1: So is that nice that we bring couples together. I like that. I think it's a nice thing.
Speaker 5: We might get our first country slide divorce at some point. You never know where was that could be interesting.
Speaker 1: It's probably you.
Speaker 5: And I'm going to I might be working through it now, who knows. So, yes, some muscular men and fishing.
Speaker 2: That I sorr.
Speaker 4: I met this chap called William, and William is a really nice guy and an incredible chef. And there's so many stories that we could get into. He knows people that I've worked with. He knows a lot of people. He got into a little bit of hot water over an issue and it went national. Should I tell this story now? Okay, I'll tell you this little story. I'll tell you this little story here. He was involved in a situation where the there's a park, Dagenham Park, and he was in an area which he has the right to shoot deer on He shot a deer and it then it didn't die and then it ran through a fence. So he pursued the deer, dispatched the deer, and armed police were called because there was The party line was there's a sort of armed man in a park. Happens yeah, So that was that. They were like, okay, what's happening here? He everything was okay. Then several months later the wildlife crime officer decided that he was going to pursue the case. So it wasn't straight away, it was a much later thing. The it got very legal very quickly. He had to go in to court and it cost a lot of money. The long story short was the person there was lots of evidence that were given that was inaccurate, and he was going to say, I want to say the words, got away with it. But obviously they the jury found him not guilty because the deer broke. The deer went through a fence that had a great big hold in it and you're allowed to then it was going to pose a danger to somebody. The twenty five is not too far away, so he had to he had to dispatch it. So they tried to get him done for poaching. Officially, obviously it wasn't because he was I don't know, you're probably you're probably the experts on this and I'm just relaying.
Speaker 5: I don't know anything about the background of it.
Speaker 2: So so that's what happened.
Speaker 4: But then also the evidence that was presented was that he was on on that land that he wasn't allowed to and nothing could get through the fence. But the person that had given the evidence hadn't bothered to actually go to that side of the park where the fence was not. They said there was a six foot high fence that was impenetrable, but it wasn't. So when they worked that out as evidence, they were like, well, no, this is this is clearly not the case. So long story short, he was found not guilty, but that didn't stop lots of places throwing him under the bus and putting.
Speaker 2: Him in trouble.
Speaker 4: And he even got called in the sun because he's a chef as well, he got called blaster chef the way that's the head which I feel like is actually a good PR.
Speaker 5: Sniper chef would have been a better headline.
Speaker 1: Chef as in master chef.
Speaker 5: I don't watch TV, so you know, we don't have a TV.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I mean, I don't have a space rocket, but I've heard about flipping, I've known about the moon and Neil Armstrong, So I mean, I'm sorry that the man who was.
Speaker 5: Filmed in a studio somewhere by Stanley Kubrick and then the.
Speaker 1: Broad Flat Earth coh Dear. I don't I believe they went there. I really do.
Speaker 5: I believe I believe a rocket went. I believe a rocket went to the moon. Something we landed on the Moon, and then possibly they left someone to die there and meanwhile they filmed something on Earth. Dear, I don't really Wow, Maybe I'll tell you what what.
Speaker 1: I bet you read Dan Brown books and you go, oh, yeah, that could be true. Though I think probably it was all the Knights Templars that Jesus was actually married Mary Magdalene, and that's why the Knights Templars do all that stuff. You know. I tell you what, Indiana Jones, it wasn't a fly on the Wall documentary, you know, Richard. So this chef anyway, did he did he serve the venison up in the restaurant. That's the most important part.
Speaker 4: Yeah, loads of this stuff is all served in the restaurant. And so have you ever you might have known this guy. Have you ever heard of a thing.
Speaker 2: Called shotgun Chef?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I've heard of him.
Speaker 2: That's him.
Speaker 4: That's him. He is the shotgun Chef. So he had he had a WordPress blog that was really really big and basically he just makes shoot stuff, lives off the like farms on this small farm, and serves everything in the restaurant. So my friend Simon invited me to the restaurant and we sat there, We had a we had.
Speaker 2: Some wine, ate some food. He gave us a little VIP tour.
Speaker 5: He's got to say was this is a guinea fowl place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got guinea fowl.
Speaker 4: We've got quail that gets sold into restaurants. Yeah, you've got he's got squabs. So he went to telling me all these stories about how he went to France to get proper French squabs and then they're going to be sold into Michelin Star restaurants because they're really good. And he's got just so much amazing stuff. He does pasta which has come from you know, the wheat in the field, all the way into the restaurant. Everything is completely farm to fork dining essentially. It is absolutely amazing. The place is called the cart Shed. It's in Thornwood, and highly recommend it if you're a you're a game meet enthusiast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's incredible.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I met this guy and we had this long, lengthy conversation and we delved into a variety of stories. One thing came up where he told me that there was catfish in one of the lakes. Apparently two catfish were in his lakes. So I was like, right, okay, I'm coming back. Can I fish for your catfish? At first meeting? Can I fish for your catfish and he agreed.
Speaker 5: So somewhere story about this catfish obsessed photographer he met.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, he's like, he's a bit weird. He's sort of like he started, he drunk all my wine. He complimented me about me, about me quails, and then he hate me catfish.
Speaker 4: No, I so I took my son fishing for catfish because it's one of the things he's wanted to catch for so long. I don't know where the obsession came from, but every time I ask him what he wants to do, well, no, I know that, but specifically catfish.
Speaker 2: It's just a really odd, odd thing.
Speaker 4: He picked it out of a book and was obsessed with it. And it's really hard to catch catfish because most lakes you have to book for like forty eight hours, and I don't really want to do forty eight hours. And also I didn't want to time the weather like that.
Speaker 1: So how long it takes to catch a catfish? Two days?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Catfishing lakes are really weird. They're not like Corse fishing lakes. You just they give you like lake exclusive bookings, so you can't fish. You'll just have to book the entire lake out for yourself really, so you book them out for forty eight hours, and it will cost you like two hundred and fifty quid for forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: It's really expensive.
Speaker 4: It's not that expensive, but in terms of like if you were to fish a data Get lake for carp you'd just spend it might be twenty quid for twenty four hours, so you'd go down and then the lake would be, you know, with a bunch of people. But if you're going to spend you're going to spend that.
Speaker 2: Kind of money.
Speaker 4: I don't know you'd want to fish it with somebody else, and then you've got to work out who's free on what weekends, and then you've got to commit to forty eight hours.
Speaker 5: Explain why you have to book the whole thing out there?
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to know that.
Speaker 4: I think it's I'm not really sure. I think it's probably because not many people want to go cat fishing, so they financially it's more viable to do it like that because they've probably got a lot of costs. So if they can book it out and they book it up quite far in advance, you book a slot. So when I asked, I found a place it was about August. I wanted to do one in the summer holidays last year. I coolled them up and they said, oh, we've got nothing for August. You're gonna have to do like mid September. I'm thinking, I've got to take him out of school for two days if I want to try and get a day in September. So I can't do that, So I've got to have a weekend. And then weekends were all booked just got such logistically it was an absolute nightmare. So I just binned it off. So when I got the opportunity to catch some catfish, I was like, yeah, cool.
Speaker 1: I think it had been better though, if you went and dumped into the hole in a bikini, because I see some of these things on YouTube. They seem very popular in America that they basically get rather buck Some girls in bikini dive into holes noodling, that's the thing, And they go and put their arms in a catfish's mouth and pull it out. So I don't see why you have to Is that why you have to book it for two days? Because seeing you in a in a bikini.
Speaker 2: Catfish noodling a bikini?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, honestly, if I make i'd I'd turn that into a spectator sport. You know, you've got callum in a bikini, the potato with tits in in a bikini that is bought from H and M. You know, a cheap one, so it goes slightly see through after you've jumped in there and you're shoving your hands down a catfish's throat, So don't worry, I'm just noodling. I think it'd be brilliant. I think absolutely. I'd pay to watch that. I really would, and I'm quite conservative.
Speaker 5: That's why we're going to end this episode, I think, and move on over on to the patron only segment, which seems to be working as a teaser because we've had quite a few people sign up to a Patreon recently, so welcome to all the new people, and we'll see you in the chat. Bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: I caught the catfish, by the way.