Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio apps.
Speaker 2: The beginning of October. October first, and we start rather auspiciously. Israel is right now under attack from Iran. Sirens have been sounding across the country. There have been at least one hundred missiles said to have been fired from Iran towards Israel. Iran said it launched dozens of missiles and it will attack again if Israel responds. An Israeli official has been saying that Iran will pay a heavy price for this latest barrage of missiles and rockets that have been fired into Israel. And there's been a terror attack in Jaffa as well. In the city of Jaffa, there has been reported eight people that have been killed in this shooting attack at a rail station in Jaffa.
Speaker 3: A couple guys got off of a train started shooting.
Speaker 2: The security forces where to put those two guys down quickly, but not before they shot and killed at least eight people and may have wounded several others.
Speaker 1: The search continues. Search and rescue ops in North Carolina where hundreds of people remain cut off by washed out roads, damaged cell phone towers. Storm has killed more than one hundred people. That is expected to rise substantially as these rescue teams are reaching the isolated towns and telecommunications are restored. There's a bunch of mountainous counties around Asheville, North Carolina, where people are just they have got no food, they've got no running water, they've got no power, and they've got no roads to get out and no roads for people to get in. So they're airlifting these teams down into these devastated areas.
Speaker 2: Dock workers at ports from Maine all the way to Texas began walking picket lines early today, a strikeover wages and automation that could reignite inflation, of course, could cause shortages of goods if it goes on for more than a few weeks. This contract between the ports and about forty five thousand members of the International Longshoreman's Association expired at midnight. All of these topics and more, hopefully we'll be discussed tonight the vice presidential candidate's debate Ohio Senator jd.
Speaker 3: Vance.
Speaker 2: Of course, in Minnesota, Governor Tim Walls meeting in New York City. You'll be able to hear that debate live on KFI right here, starting at six o'clock.
Speaker 1: If you're in the valleys, you're in the mountain areas, it's going to be damn hot ninety degrees today. It's going to rise another five degrees Wednesday, finally beginning to cool on Thursday.
Speaker 2: All right, a couple of polls to discuss. The first one I think is the most is pretty interesting. Not the most, but a new poll shows that we voters in California have no idea who we want to succeed Gavin Newsom as the governor. Now, granted the term in office doesn't end until twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've got some time. We got a whole other year.
Speaker 3: That means next year we'll be talking about this.
Speaker 1: Right, Why are they having debates already? Like why did they have that last week?
Speaker 3: Have no idea?
Speaker 1: That makes no sense to me. We're too far out.
Speaker 2: It also bothers me that even in a state like California, all four people on that stage were Democrats. It wasn't a Democratic gubernatorial debate. It was just a debate.
Speaker 1: Well, we know the writing is on the wall in California. You're just not going to get another Republican governor, not for a while.
Speaker 2: So, like you said, this poll is still a year ago, but it was conducted by a bunch of researchers from USC, CAL, State, Long Beach, CAL Poly Pomona and asked about seventeen hundred likely California voters to select their preferred candidate from a pack of politicians who I are either running or have been rumored to be considering a run for governor.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty six, Katie.
Speaker 1: Porter leads the way fourteen percent of support.
Speaker 3: Katie Poor.
Speaker 1: She tried to become senator, right right, So I guess that's name recognition. She did not to me inspire voter enthusiasm, but maybe I'm not her target.
Speaker 2: You well, I that's got to be name recognition. Although but some of these other names are are names that we we know.
Speaker 1: Five point three percent support for State Senator Brian Dally.
Speaker 2: Now that is only interesting because he's a Republican, and the next few are Republicans. If you're going down this list in order, So Brian DOLLI, Republican from Bieber, tried to dethron Newsom back in twenty two.
Speaker 1: Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco is he's got four point seven percent Republican.
Speaker 2: I think if that I think if he ran, I think, if he honestly threw his hat into the ring, he.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't know enough about him.
Speaker 3: He has a better chance than anybody else at this point.
Speaker 1: Steve Hilton, he looks like something out of the Wild West, Chad Jock.
Speaker 2: Steve Hilton is a former Fox News host and has been a contributed for them for a long time. He actually served as a policy advisor to British Prime Minister David Cameron.
Speaker 1: Isn't he a British guy?
Speaker 3: He is?
Speaker 2: I assume he's a California not native, but he's a California resident now and may have gotten his American citizenship. But he has about four percent support from respondents. Then you go down into we're talking slow single digit numbers here California Attorney Rob Bonta, Democrat three point five percent, former Congressman State Attorney General Javier Pasera is currently the Secretary of Health and Human Services under three percent, and then rounding out the top ten choices from respondents, where businessman former La mayor Rick Mayor oral candidate I should say Rick Caruso, who again hasn't said he's running. Then you've got La Mayor Antonio Viragosa who is running, State Controller Betty Yee is running. Lieutenant Governor e Lenny Kunilacus is running. All four of those Democrats come in with less than two point seven percent. And you mentioned that that debate took place. Those four people on the stage. Former or I should say State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmant was on that stage. He doesn't even get He doesn't even show up in the top ten, and he's running for governor. There is a possibility also that you're going to see Lafondsa Butler.
Speaker 3: She is, of course the one sitting. She is our senator right now.
Speaker 1: Chad Bianco is a staunch supporter of Trump. He has no chance in California.
Speaker 2: No, but I think his law and order message is something that resonates regardless of his support of Trump.
Speaker 1: I don't think that that is enough, too big.
Speaker 3: Of a hurdle.
Speaker 1: I think in California.
Speaker 2: You've got, like I said, Rob Bonta, Lafonda Butler is one of them, and then the potentials non heat Chen is a policy advisor. He ran who was a runner up for state controller in twenty twenty two. He's one of those guys who would also be a nice breath of fresh air if he were to get into a political office.
Speaker 1: The takeaway is that sixty one percent of voters say they don't know who they would vote for.
Speaker 3: Okay, plenty sixty one percent. We said a year.
Speaker 2: It's a year before the campaign even really starts. Because it's not until twenty six when the election turned.
Speaker 1: There could be a number of names that bubble up to the surface. We can only hope your chance at one thousand dollars when we come back. How about that? And some good news in the La County DA's race as well.
Speaker 2: And a note I think we should we should address a note A note about that about that issue.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, we should. I don't know about this note.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: This was an anonymous official discussing this sense of matter. You've got to believe at some point we have to hear from the president, right, I would like two? Would you do? Mean? It would be nice if we had a president who could address the nation Israel and Jordan have closed their airspaces, flights being redirected to alternative airports outside of Israel. There are multiple waves of sirens currently, multiple explosions, including a huge boom heard from Tel Aviv. The explosions, at least twenty of them just moments ago. They say sound like heavy warheads exploding, very different from the more familiar sound of air defenses intercepting Palestinian rockets.
Speaker 3: The couple different reports now.
Speaker 2: The original report that I saw said that the IDF counted one hundred and two missiles or rockets that were sent from I'll call them missiles from Iran towards Israel. Now the Jerusalem Post is reporting that it may be several hundred, as many as five hundred missiles that were sent from Iran towards Israel. There was also a terrorist attack in Jaffa, the city of Jaffa. Eight people killed, nine others wounded. In this shooting, two people opened fire toward the light rail station in the city. They were eventually shot dead, one by a passer by the other by a security guard who were in the area, adding that they're still looking for other potential gunman.
Speaker 3: Four of the victims said to be seriously wounded.
Speaker 2: But again, the death toll right now eight killed, nine others wounded in that terror attack in Jaffa. As all this stuff developing right in front.
Speaker 1: Of us, there's a Washington Post reporter Claire Parker reporting from Jerusalem a hotel, and specifically, she says guests are hunkered down in a stairway. They're passing around water bottles, waves of sirens, obviously signaling the threat of a missile strike. She says, the fear is palpable in this stairway, one older man drinking straight from a bottle of whiskey, others trying to calm down a young woman who's hysterical.
Speaker 3: There is also some new movement along the northern border between Israel and Lebanon. Israel has launched a ground incursion there, which they have They still describe it as limited and focused, but there's concerns about this that this could turn into a full scale invasion of Lebanon while these dozens, if not hundreds of rockets come from Iran towards Israel. So again, no comment yet from the White House other than to say that the President and Vice President are monitoring this attack. Iranian officials said that they would be ready for any sort of attack from Israel towards Iran that would be retaliation for these latest missiles that have been fired.
Speaker 1: So those images are.
Speaker 3: Powerful legit.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get to this pole, we've got your chance at one thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Now, your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website Grand. That's Grand, g R A N D. Edit it now at KFIAM six forty dot com slash cash, Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the winning attorneys at Sweet James one eight hundred nine million, that's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 2: Again and again, the keyword is grand. To make sure you go on to the website to put that in KFIAM six forty dot com slash cash.
Speaker 3: Keep an eye on your email inbox.
Speaker 2: Email is how we let you know that you want one thousand dollars because because it's easier that way. And then we'll do this again an hour from now, give you a chance to win one thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, disclaimer here before we get to this poll that shows Nathan Hawkman well up over George Gascone, which it would be nice, usc Pole, you've been here ring George Gascon on our station. We have nothing to do with that. To be clear, I would never give him any time.
Speaker 3: The story is that he was in the building. You remember that.
Speaker 2: And if you've seen if you saw John Cobelt's Instagram story about or the real about him trying to get George Gascon to come onto his show. There's a reason why he doesn't come on anywhere on this station is because he knows he does not have a soft place to land. But the company has done They did an interview with him, our company.
Speaker 1: And an interview is putting it strongly, that's a general question and didn't push back right.
Speaker 2: It's a generous word. So that's why you hear his voice on our air. But that's not any sort of indication that we have opened our doors. We have anything.
Speaker 1: My door is closed and locked and locked again, and locked some more and then some more.
Speaker 3: Even that little chain lock and that little flippy lock that's on the side of.
Speaker 1: The hotel room post outside, I've got simply safe. Every security company can think of.
Speaker 3: Outside that and you could see when he's coming.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, attack dogs, tack dogs, pit bulls that weren't raised correctly. Anyway, This USC poll finds that Hawkman's got a twenty four percent lead over George Gascon. However, there are a number of undecided and this is where I get worried about La County. People who don't pay attention, don't even know what a DA does. Go to the ballot, they see his name, they decide to vote for a Gascon over a guy named Hawkman, and they see he's the sitting DA. Oh, he must be doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Check plus, I would say, though, because of the coverage.
Speaker 3: Just think of what's happened in the last one.
Speaker 1: A lot of people attention to the coverage.
Speaker 3: Stuff like smash and grab robberies I think cut through.
Speaker 1: But do they connect that to the DA. I mean twenty people really, that's probably true.
Speaker 3: There may be there may be some disconnect there, but anyway, it's good news. I suppose that.
Speaker 1: I mean, as a casual voter in my twenties, I didn't know what the DA did. I mean, early twenties, before I was a reporter, was kind of like, okay, what does it you say?
Speaker 3: You did a lawyer.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The breaking news alert that you would get now is that Iran has launched a massive attack on Israel. According to the Israeli Defense Forces, some five hundred rockets may have been launched onto Israel by Iran. It is just about just after eight o'clock in Israel right now.
Speaker 1: Messages have been sent to cell phones warning Israelis in certain are areas to enter protected space to seek shelter if they hear sirens, which are ringing out pretty much everywhere. The missile attack a retaliation for different assassinations carried out by Israel. According to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the operation will continue if Israel does not stop.
Speaker 2: The National Security Minister in Israel said that he had mobilized thirteen thousand emergency standby squads to immediately be deployed all over the state of Israel. There's a direct hit, apparently to a building in the northern part of Tel Aviv. They confirm that three people have been wounded by some missile hits in Tel Aviv. But they haven't gotten into much more specific details about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Israel's Emergency Medical Service says it has received just two reports of light injuries from shrapnel during the rocket fire that paramedics have been dispatched to search sites of these reported strikes. The Pentagon now weighing in, saying that they were tracking the reports of these missile strikes. They said they did not immediately have verified information to share about what and where was targeted.
Speaker 2: A Ben Gurion Airport announced all landings and takeoffs halted. Of course, all trains stopped, so planes that were blessed you, planes that were in the air for a landing have had to make a U turn. Jordan and Iraq have also closed their airspace. And as we've been saying, Iran and their revolutionary regard said that this attack is in response to the assassination of Hasan Nosrala, the leader of Hesbelah, and that if Israel responds, it will experience a strong blow in the northern part of Israel, closer to Lebanon. Not only are their missiles coming in from Iran, but there are apparently rockets being fired over the border by Hesblah. This is a reporter for Sky News there in the northern part of Israel.
Speaker 6: We actually there was a rocket that we could kit that stee behind us. Again, this would have been most likely a Hesbola rocket fired, and that was the concern too, whether this could be maybe a coordinated strike the with Israel's air defenses occupied with the ballistic missile sphealistic and then maybe Hesbola taking advantage of that and launching strikes. So far, we've only had to run for cover run us with that rocket, but clearly we are alert for what could happen, and we all feel like I was saying, heard gunfire, machine gun fire in the distance over there. That's Lebanon in that direction behind me.
Speaker 3: Love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Well, it's damn hot out there. We'll continue to stay on top of everything going on with Israel and Husbala and Iran and our involvement as well. But did want to mention this that fire risks this week across the state are up. Power shutoffs may happen. We've had some as we were to yesterday and Blake Trolley. Additional wildfire evacuations here in southern California. Heat advisories issued throughout the state. San Diego through reading ten to twenty degrees above average for this time of year. Now. They say that fire season in California does typically stretch through October or November. It is still abnormal for the season this kind of heat right now, so the landscapes are getting dried out, the humidity levels are dropping, and that is a recipe for a disaster when it comes to fire risk.
Speaker 2: The fire risk is great enough wind wise, heat wise that there is at least one area that's being considered for a public safety power shutoff, and that would be up in Santa Barbara County. Those people that are under Edison's tutelage there in Santa Barbara County have gotten messages about thirty two hundred people there. We also mentioned that farther north northern California, there's about eleven thousand people who currently do not have power because PG and E cut the power to them concerned that a wind was going to knock power lines into trees and cause some significant fires.
Speaker 1: Shasta County as well has about north of nine thousand people with shut off. They expect that to be restored by noon though, because the winds are supposed to die down there. They said that the new acres that have been burned through. When you look at the Line fire, the Bridge fire, all of that burning into the mountains that California has crossed a grim milestone. One million acres burned this year, something that hasn't happened for three years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been lucky, it's the right word. We've been relatively lucky over the course of the last couple of years. You mentioned that line fire, and it's not growing ridiculously fast. It is close to forty three and a half thousand acres. The problem is, because it's been growing at all, the containment percentage has gone down. It was eighty three percent, like you mentioned, but it's down to seventy six percent today containment according to CalFire and the latest update they had because the fire itself continues to grow, so they keeping an eye on.
Speaker 1: That coming up. And next, that ghost ship, the ghost ship found off California, the ghost ship of the Pacific. I love a ghost ship makes me think of Captain Jack Sparrow. It's also and on my side of the bed.
Speaker 3: What do you like Jack Sparrow that much?
Speaker 1: No, I just I connected the two.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean that he's saw on my side of the bed. Yeah, was human fecal matter.
Speaker 1: I mean, any excuse to play that, and I'm going to take myself up on it.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Big deal today, of course, is that Iran apparently has struck at Israel.
Speaker 3: We have been following the story over the last hour or so.
Speaker 2: The Israeli Defense Force says there have been many interceptions that the Iron Dome anti missile and anti rocket system was able to intercept many of the incoming warheads, but some they said landed in central Israel. The different reporters that are unseen there have said they reported dozens of missiles over Tel Aviv, over Jerusalem, over Haifa, according to the Israeli airport authorities there.
Speaker 3: Ben Gurion International.
Speaker 2: The Israeli military believes that the attack is over and they have reopened airspace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say that the threat is over.
Speaker 2: Iran of course, calls this a retaliatory missile strike in response to the Israeli attack on Hesbela's headquarters that ended up killing Hassan Hasrala. And there was also whether it was coordinated on purpose or not. There was a terrorist attack in Jaffa, where a couple gunman got off of a train and shot and killed at least eight people and several others were injured.
Speaker 1: The Iranian Mission to the United Nations has said that Tehran's response has been duly carried out. Here's a statement. Iran's legal, rational and legitimate response to the terrorist attacks of the Zionist regime has been duly carried out. This is in response to the assassinations. The recent assassinations. The mission said that if Israel should dare to respond or commit further acts, a subsequent and crushing response will ensue.
Speaker 3: So we are inching closer to World War three, it seems.
Speaker 2: In response, our Defense Department has bolstered the number of Air Force F fifteen's, F sixteens and eight tens that were going to be deployed to the Middle East. We also have a bunch of F twenty twos in the region, tens of thousands, if not a couple hundred thousand men and women in different capacities there. So they said it's significant because the F fifteen's and sixteens played a major role in shooting down a bunch of Iranian drones when Tehran mounted a missilin drone attack against Israel way back in April. Just a quick note, this will be brought up tonight during the vice presidential candidates debatos Ohio Senator jd Vance, Minnesota Governor Tim Walls meeting in New York City tonight, and we are going to air that live here on KFI starting at six o'clock.
Speaker 1: Two people that would never run to and ask what do you think I mean? One could argue, neither one has any business answering a question like that.
Speaker 3: About any international affairs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just sad, terrifying, all right. Well, on August first, there was a ship that dropped its usual cargo into a patch of ocean about seventy miles northwest of San Francisco. Three orange robots, each more than twenty feet long and shaped like torpedo. For a day, these aquatic drones prouded the waters, scanning nearly fifty square miles of ocean floor and some thirty five hundred feet beneath the surface, and apparition popped up on the robot's powerful sonar. It was down in that darkness that the drones saw a ghost.
Speaker 3: This was the USS Stewart.
Speaker 2: It's a ship that is now resting on the Cordell Bank National Marine Sanctuary, the only US and Navy destroyer to be captured by Japanese forces during World War Two.
Speaker 1: Three days after the drones spotted this, another set of underwater robots were able to capture pictures of the historic wreck. Of course, decades of marine growth, a lot of critters in there, but they say, the three hundred and fourteen foot long destroyer is almost perfectly intact and bright on the seafloor.
Speaker 2: This is a strange Okay, it's a strange story. So nineteen forty two, the Japanese capture this ship and they sink it and they abandon it off of the coast of Java. They then raised it used it to escort their naval convoys. Allied pilots reported what looked like one of their own ships way behind enemy lines, and they couldn't explain what was going on.
Speaker 3: In a farewell to the ship.
Speaker 2: After it was recovered, the US Navy recommissioned it, towed it here to California, and then basically dropped it in the water, buried the vessel at sea in a hail of target practice gunfire.
Speaker 3: In May of nineteen forty forty six.
Speaker 2: It withstood two entire hours of being shot at by the rest of the American Navy.
Speaker 3: Finally it sank down below.
Speaker 1: Russ Matthews, as the president of the nonprofit Air Seatage Foundation, member of the discovery team. He says, the whole history of the ship was exceptionally well documented. The only piece of the story we didn't have is what does it look today. He spent years off and on trying to figure out what the last known coordinates of this thing were, and an initial lead from a colleague turned up a nineteen forty six US Navy communicate that narrowed the search to what is now the Cordell Bank Sanctuary that you referred to. But no vessels that sailed through that sanctuary chanced upon the vessel, and they couldn't secure the funding to go out there themselves. But then in April this year they got the cash. The cash, They got the cash. This is the same company that was able to a couple of years ago rediscover the Endurance that sank during a nineteen fifteen expedition by Ernest Shackleton, good old Ernest Shackleton.
Speaker 2: They said one of the more interesting aspects of this fact this ship is that it was sitting upright on the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 3: I mean that picture.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a creepy picture because you can see the shadow of the superstructure on top of it.
Speaker 3: That's very cool.
Speaker 2: Hey, coming up a little bit later, we're going to be going to Washington News Nations corresponding. Kelly Meyer is going to join us, and we're going to talk more about the toe to toe matchup tonight between JD.
Speaker 3: Vance and Tim Walls.
Speaker 2: We do have a True Crime Tuesday coming up at the bottom of the last hour of the show, and Tasty Tuesday. Nil Savage is going to join us in just a couple of minutes, as well as we get into some food news. In the meantime, we are going to continue to update you all what's going on in Israel. They do say that the threat of the Iranian attack is over.
Speaker 1: The Iranians have said it's over.
Speaker 2: Everybody says it's over, which means it's over over. It's you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,