Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: That's how I measure my reputation and my professionality. It's not so much that I'm good, it's just how everybody else sucks.
Speaker 1: And now Handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, it is Friday. It's a foody Friday, except there's no food today. Neil is on vacation. He's back next Wednesday. Do we have anybody filling in or is it just me?
Speaker 3: All right, we can talk about my salad if you want.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, okay, I hope the Nielsen people are listening to this one. Okay, let's talk about your salad. What about your salad?
Speaker 3: Amy, it's a good low calories, yeah, delicious treat. There you go, foody Friday.
Speaker 2: Oh okay. By the way, you don't need to lose weight or keep you know? Do you? Are you careful about what you eat?
Speaker 3: Not as careful as I should be.
Speaker 2: But it's everybody come on. But all right, morning cono Bill. You also talk about my salads? You want? Yeah? What's that? When's the last time you had a salad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly? And good morning. Wow, salad is mean salads. I love salads, okay, yes, whatever. I like salads which are half full fat dressings, right, nuts and half lattuce. Oh yeah, lots of that, A little steak. Yeah, so we're did I have my breakfast already? I did? I had a bagel with ham and cheese on a bagel.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Cheese from where that's right, Ham from where that's right. I no longer buye go to the store and buy boars Head black forest ham medium sliced because he's got too expensive. Fourteen bucks a pound. All right, that's enough. Where you can get black forest ham at Costco for for seventy nine pound. See, we've we're already doing foody Friday. We haven't even started yet and we're into foody Friday.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Guys. Homeless news today, Opening Olympics, opening ceremonies today, and this can't wait to see it. I mean it starts ten to thirty live on streaming. But NBC which has the it has the games, and it really starts tonight at seven thirty and it's recorded stuff there and they go past the you know, the boats go past these landmarks, for example, Notre Dame, right where They're going to have all these fire special effects like they do at the Pirates Caribbean, you know, just to make it look good. That is a joke. Notre Dame is burned down to the ground, you know, joke.
Speaker 3: They're rebuilding it.
Speaker 2: They are, they are, But I thought.
Speaker 3: You were being serious. I was like, really, they're going to do pyrotechnics that note edam after the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the French and it's I can't wait, I really can't and a lot of it. We don't know what's going to happen, but it's something new with that Eiffel Tower. They're coming in with some kind of new laser technology they've been experimenting with and no one knows that looks like, you know, a ton of drones out there. It's gonna be pretty high tech, it really is. It's gonna be good stuff. I can't wait. Okay, a lot of bag yettes, I'll tell you that, a lot of them. And I'm gonna do a little story later on about what to expect and the Russians who are not going to be there for the fourth time in the row. You my favorite sport guy by and they've won more medals in it than anyone else. Did you know that? And what what would that be? Wrestling? And homosexuality is illegal in Russia and they still win the goals. Okay, guys, are we ready to do it? Sure? Why not handle on the news? Amy and me and me? Because Wayne is not here?
Speaker 3: Lead story and Neil isn't here either.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, why am I conflating Wayne and Neil? It's just weird.
Speaker 3: I don't know. We thought you had gotten over that.
Speaker 2: I thought I had. I don't know when anyway, Yeah, I don't get it. I don't I'm still not used to Wayne being gone and Neil being here and what are we in? Two months? Just finishing month seven?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, give it a couple of years. But there are people that when I had the surrogacy agency, there were people that work for me, honest to god, for three years. And number one, I didn't know their names or I forgot their names or didn't know how long they were working here. And it was all female staff because it was in utility and you dealt with women and their you know, their their private parts, not in r casey re public parts, but you know fallopian tubes and uterine lining and uh, you know over ease and granular fluid where.
Speaker 3: We know the parts, Bill, we know the parts and then the and.
Speaker 2: Then the cervix and uh you know, and I can go south from there, but I'm not going to. Okay, guys, let's do it. Lead story. Yeah, big surprise, BARACKA. Michelle Obama endorsing uh Kamala Harris for president? What a shocker? Uh? Now is it fair to say she has it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Is anybody even bothering going against her? Even when Biden uh was going up for the term and he started doing his campaign, that was only Dean Phillips, you know, the congressman who ran against the Biden against Biden. Now and there's no one running as her, you.
Speaker 3: Should get Dean Phillips on again, because he was. I saw an interview with him earlier this week.
Speaker 2: I love him.
Speaker 3: He's not happy about the kind of what they're calling the coronation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he is. He's phenomenal. I've never been as impressed with a politician. And I've interviewed some politicians in my time. I interviewed Schwarzenegger and Ross Perot when he ran, I've interviewed Jimmy Carter after the presidency. Barbara Bush one of my favorite favorite people, and he's right up there.
Speaker 3: California gets its marching orders to clear out the camps, Governor Newsom issued an executive order this kind of came out of the blue yesterday, calling on state officials to begin taking down homeless camps around the state. He said, it's an urgent thing, we got to deal with it. And the order comes a few weeks after the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of Grant's Pass Oregon that was ticketing homeless people for sleeping outside, and the ruling rejected arguments that anti camping ordinances violated the Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cruel and unusual punishment is not easy to argue, never has been. And when it comes to even the death penalty, that's not cruel and usual. Probably torture would be, is my guest, that would be cruel and unusual. But no surprise Supreme Court making this order. And here's the controversy is state agencies are going to clean out encampments. Where do people go? There is no homeless shelter on any state property that exists. So we'll kick him out, and he turns to the local governments and NGOs on governmental organization, You take care of him. In the meantime, they're out the door. As far as we're concerned, it's an insurmountable problem. It's just totally insurmountable.
Speaker 3: Well, we wouldn't have nearly as many wildfires if we didn't have people like this, prosecutor say, Guy, a forty two year old man, has been arrested for starting a fire near Chico. This fire started on Wednesday, it's exploded, it's now torn through one hundred and sixty four thousand acres, and apparently officials say that somebody saw the man pushing a flaming car down a sixty foot embankment that created the fiery chaos, and then the guy was seen calmly leaving the area and was blending in with other people who were trying to get away from the fire.
Speaker 2: You know, that doesn't mean that he started the fire on purpose, and arson is an intent crime. You have to intend to start.
Speaker 3: A fire, and pushing a flaming car down into.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, did he push the flaming car?
Speaker 3: Witnesses saw a man pushing a flaming car down in a mix.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought he drove down at first.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe his car was on fire and he's trying to push it out of the way or something. But it doesn't appear like that. Okay, we'll find out. Well, he's much more dastardly than he sounds. El Maya is in custody. His name is Ismael Zimbata. He's a co founder and alleged current leader of the Mexican Sinaloa drug cartel. He's in US custody along with the son of Joaquin El Chapo Guzman, who is Joaquin Guzman Lopez. He's another alleged leader of the cartel in federal custody. Both men facing charges for leading the cartel's criminal operations, including the deadly fentanyl manufacturing and trafficking networks. That's according to Attorney General Merrick Garland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the biggest fear of these traffickers have is coming in the United States. That's it, because they're going to do twenty years in a max, a federal max prison. And that's that's exactly what's happening. By the way, El Mayo is big in the Sandwich World. Did you know that?
Speaker 3: I know, but I.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, treble on the trains. So opening ceremony for the twenty twenty four Olympics happens today, and just hours before that, France's high speed train lines were targeted by what are being called malicious acts, including several fires set, some lines cut on the high speed rail system. French officials are calling it coordinated sabotage to disrupt travel. A large number of trains were diverted or the service was canceled, and the railway company is saying that some athletes were even on a couple of the trains.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a big deal you talk about sabotage because like many European countries, France relies on that rail system. Matter of fact, the first high speed rail system was the Bullet train in Japan. The second one out was the cnf C what do they call that? The high speed rail in France. I forgot the actual name of it, but you can go top of France to the bottom of France in five hours. Thing goes at two hundred and seventy miles an hour. Pretty impressive anyway. They these app sabaturially able to shut down a whole lot of it there, figuring eight hundred thousand people are affected over the weekend. That's a lot of people before they get everything back online.
Speaker 3: To debate or not to debate is up for debate. So yesterday Vice President Harris accused or yeah still Vice president accused former President Trump of backpeddling on a debate They were supposed to debate on September tenth, Biden and Trump. But now with Harris stepping in, she's saying, hey, let's debate on September tenth. And apparently Trump's campaign is saying it's not going to commit to any debates until the Democratic Party actually chooses its nominee.
Speaker 2: And didn't he say any place anytime?
Speaker 3: He did, And so Harris put that out on social media. What happened to any place any time? But they say that it would be inappropriate to schedule things with Harris because the Democrats very well could still change their minds. I don't think.
Speaker 2: They're going to I think they're going to debate.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I hope they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TGF that's it. That's the name of the train or TGIF or the train. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Still stuck in space. They've been troubleshooting this for weeks. They've been testing stuff on Earth. They're trying to figure out what happened with the Boeing Starliner, so it took astronauts up to the International Space Station. There's some issues with it. They're trying to figure it out, work it out so they can get them home. But they've been up there since June sixth. They were supposed to be up there for a week. Yeah, and they're still not ready to say when they can bring them back.
Speaker 2: Well, there was they were almost about to issue a timeline, and the officials said, you know, we can't actually use the word never in a press conference or a press release. They have no idea when these people are coming back.
Speaker 3: But you know it's fun for them, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess because you have Mark Kelly, who was up there for a full year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's not like they can't be up there. And there's we're actually talking to a NASA astronaut who's heading up there, or supposed to be heading up there next month, Colonel Nick Haig. We've been talking to him on wake up call and he said, they're just they're watching he goes. They're not worried about it. They're always planning for these contingencies. But it could affect his launch date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what did they do when astronauts go up there? They are set in terms of their job description. They're supposed to do X numbers of experiments. They are they're given jobs. These people are just sort of hanging out.
Speaker 3: I think that they're communicating with everybody on the ground and they're saying, hey, since you have the time, why don't you do this experiment. I think that they keep him busy. But we're talking to Colonel Haig, I think the week after next and we'll be asking him about that. Hmm, yeah, A shot or not. FBI Director Christopher Ray suggested investigators aren't sure if former President Trump was hit by a bullet or shrapnel during the attempted assassination earlier this month. Came during his testimony before Congress.
Speaker 2: I mean he was, you know, clearly wounded.
Speaker 3: I mean does it matter, what's what would the shrapnel.
Speaker 2: That would be hitting the I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what we know.
Speaker 2: You know what's interesting because that was Wooden's That was a wooden platform, wasn't it So for a ricochet, it would had to have bounced off some really hard surface and that except it was.
Speaker 3: You heard the first shot and you see.
Speaker 2: Him go right for his ear on the first show I.
Speaker 3: Saw, and there's a picture of the bullet whizzing by his head.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: And what we do know is that one of the guys who was shot was hit in the chest and in the liver. He just got out of the hospital. Another one was shot, and then of course Corey Comparatour was killed. Yeah, would you like a bag with that? That'll be ten cents please. Fast food chains McDonald's, Chick fil A, at least some of their stores are now charging for bags around Los Angeles ten cents.
Speaker 2: What do you do when I can't understand if you're eating here and they put you in those little recyclable trays hopefully, what do you do when you go to the counter and they come on. I guess you bring your own non disposable bags.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because you can't not get a bag. Like if you said, oh, you know what, I don't want a bag, just hand me my big Mac, they won't do it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that. And how far do you go with this because obviously a lot of it has to do I don't think it's a revenue call. I think it has to do with the environment and how much landfill goes in in the plastic with the bags because they don't have well, they do have paper bags.
Speaker 3: They do have paper bags. All the fast food places have paper bags, don't they.
Speaker 2: I think so, I think so, And then I don't know how far you go with this. How about those cardboard containers that the French fries. Maybe they just hand you a handful of French fries.
Speaker 3: That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Oh yeah, okay, A new three for one bundle has arrived. Disney plus Hulu and Max are now going to be offered together as a bundle at a discounted price. So that's Warner Brothers and Disney getting together to do this. And the company said, if you bundle the three, you can get it for sixteen ninety nine a month with ads, twenty nine ninety nine a month without ads, and that's an up to thirty eight percent savings over buying each individually.
Speaker 2: Now keep in mind you're a I'm one that uses everything across the board. If you don't want ads, which is when you talk about streaming streaming with ads, all you're doing is adding and network. It's to me, it's regular TV. So I go without ads, and so Netflix is my go to. So Netflix is now what without ads is eighteen nineteen dollars a month? Is that what is going to? And this becomes thirty dollars a month if you want to add Discovery, which I love in Disney Disney Channel I like a lot because it gives me national geographic I don't watch the movies, which I should because the Pixar stuff is great. So how much is that thirty plus eighteen? So that's forty eight dollars Now we're at five hundred and something change a year. Now we're talking some real money. Yeah. So not only is there commercial creeps, what's happening in the world of podcasts too. You remember podcasts were non commercial? Okay, now, because I just started my podcast Tuesdays and Thursdays, by the way, we drop it at nine o'clock right after the show and go to the iHeartRadio app and to sit on any other platforms right now, not right now, So it's right now only on the iHeartRadio app and it's the Bill Handle Show podcast. Just thought i'd pitch it and guess what commercials? Commercials? What is that about? We'll be back right, this is life. We'll be back in a moment after these messages. Although I'm not doing that now, so we'll do that in a couple of minutes. In the meantime, Amy, let's continue.
Speaker 3: Sounds like the making of a TV show somehow. Nine one one Live. Apple is updating its safety features for iPhone users. They say it's to help a thirties get a better picture of what's happened in emergency, So iPhone users will soon be able to live stream video on nine to one one calls. It would allow users to video chat with nine to one one dispatchers and emergency responders.
Speaker 2: Makes sense to me. I'm surprised it hasn't been done earlier. This is great because now everybody who use a video Now there is no such thing as an accident or a police encounter without some video happening. Matter of fact, that poor woman who was killed in the cop where was it? Where the cop has just been charged with murder. If it weren't for if it weren't for video, the cops probably and even her son said, if it weren't for video, the cops would have gotten away with this because they both would have said she went after them. She had a pot of boiling water that she turned out not to throw with them. She's literally picked it up and put it on the counter and the cops shot her in the head. And its video is why the cop is charged with murder. So this is a great idea, absolutely terrific idea.
Speaker 3: Move over Google. Here comes search GPT. So you know there's chat GPT. Well, open Ai has begun testing search GPT, which will combine its AI technology with real time information from the web, which will let you to search information the same way you talk to chat GPT. It's open ai first kind of fora into directly competing with the Google.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Google owned this market, I mean totally owned search. Yeah. It's to the point where it is a verb now you Google. It's that simple. It's like you don't reach for a tissue, you reach for a Kleenex or a band aid. I mean, it has become part of the conversation and part of the description of what it is. The name brand and it's are we going to go? You know, just go to I guess instead of Googling, you open AI huh or the search. I don't even know how that would work, but I think it's going to be Google. The verb is going to be Google no matter what, for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 3: And then Google Google will probably follow suit eventually and have its own AI. Oh yeah, work the same way. Oh yeah, everybody, yeah, of course it has to, all right. Barbie has made an impact on the real world. So when Barbie leaves Barbie Land for the real world, she must keep up with regular health maintenance, which includes seeing a gynecologist. So a new study says Barbie had an influence on online search interest of terms like gynecology. In the week following the release of the film in July of twenty twenty three, there was a fifty one percent increase in searches for gynecologist and gynecology. If you'll remember, in the last scene she goes to after going back to the real world, she heads to the doctor's office.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's true, you know, I think people are just spreading rumors. Maybe I shouldn't have put it in that phrase phraseology on that thank you?
Speaker 4: Ann Okay, I don't get it, okay, spreading, Okay, all right, thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome. Trump gets another legal win. A federal judge has said that former President Trump can move forward with his defamation suit suit against ABC News. The network was trying to get the lawsuit dismissed, saying it was spurious, so the lossit was fouled in March and argued that anchor George Stephanopoulos defamed Trump by saying on the air several times during his show this week that the former president had been found liable for raping the writer Egene care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is just a very technical it's one of those you it's it's very nuanced because he was found liable on not per se rape, but on sexually abusing and defaming her. Sexually abusing under New York law or under a federal law is not actually rape, although the judge afterwards said, well, in the commonly understood parlance rape, this is rape. But that was just his opinion. I don't think it was in the opinion. And so he is going to argue that by the way, the judge only, the judge only said this is going to go in front of a jury, whether that can be construed or it can be defined as rape. Is rape enough of a general term that it would encompass this, And so all the judges saying, Okay, we're not going to allow the dismissal of the case. It's just go forward to a jury, So they don't talk about the merits of the case under these circumstances. So I don't know. I would. I would give it to ABC myself because being found guilty of sexually abusing someone, what the hell is that? Other than rape?
Speaker 3: Don't mess with the Kimoto. Komodo dragons, according to a new study, have teeth coated in a thin layer of iron. The teeth look a little bit of orange and apparently the iron helps concentrate the serrated edge and it's something according to a zoo keeper and animal care manager at Zoom Miami. It makes them much more formidable. And the komodo dragon has a common ancestor with dinosaurs.
Speaker 2: Well, it looks like a dinosaur. It does it does, especially the way it to choose and eats and grabs prey. The other thing about this thing, I got to tell you, this is one dangerous guy. Not only can rip animals or people to shreds. It also has a paralytic in its saliva and a blood thinner, which means that when it bites any creature, it bleeds out. That's so bizarre, pretty potent stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you seen Kimodo dragons?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're great. You want to have one as a pet? No? No? Probably not?
Speaker 3: All right, Red Lobster might not be going away. They did filed for bankruptcy, but they may have a new owner. Red Lobster is close to emerging from bankruptcy with a new owner. In a court filing this week, it said it will accept an existing sale offer from Fortress Credit Core, which is a lender experienced in restaurant manager management. They've got a hearing set for next week for a judge to approve this sale.
Speaker 2: I happen to like Red Lobster. I always have. And I'll tell you what broke them though, is that all you can eat shrimp that just wiped them out twenty bucks for all you can eat shrimp. They lost a ton of money on that, especially the ones that were near the West medical offices. People going in and getting opinions on bariatric surgery. That was really problematic. For red lobster. That is a joke, by the way, because that refers to people that are very heavy going in to see if they go forget bariatric surgery, but having lunch before or after see that sort of worked, isn't it not? Particularly? Hey, you try, you try? All right, guys, we are done. You ever eating a red lobster?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 2: Oh they're great, You're a little cheesy. They have the cheesy bread. Their roles are just excellent, excellent. All right, guys, we are done. KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iheartrad app. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.