Speaker 1: Bing Crosby has been on the summer holiday, but beginning October third, Bing and his crew will return to this their regular time. So joining the fun with Bing Crosby at this time next Wednesday, October third, from Hollywood. It's time now for Edmund O'Brien as Johnny Dalla.
Speaker 2: Fine, what have you got for me? Mister Benny Waxman's insured with Columbia. When did he die? And what's wrong with the way he did it? He's very much alive and his business is the ast delicate test mature left too has burned out. When did it happen last night? We don't know whether Waxman did it himself. The fire department said it was started deliberately. Police holding Waxman not yet no evidence, Betty get Donnie. I'll give you everything we've got. I'm yours at Forsheven ashallon.
Speaker 1: Edmund O'Brien in the transcribed Adventure of the Man with the Action Packed Expenser Car America's Fabulous freelance insurance Investigator, Yours truly, Johnny Dalla.
Speaker 2: Spencer ac count Submitted by Special Investigator Johnny Dodalla to Home Office, Columbia, All Risk Insurance Company, Hartford, Connecticut. The following is an accounting of expenditures during my investigation of the protection matter. Expense count out of one thirty two fifty six train fare and incidentals between Hartford and New York City. After I received from you the necessary information concerning Benny Waxman, I arrived in New York three thirty in the afternoon and made my way through a heavy rain to ten seventy eighties one hundred and fifth, where I found Benny Waxman in a small apartment. The Lieutenant Parkinson in the fifteenth Precinct was there also, Yeah, mister Blaxman's then, what are you wanting for? Johnny Dolla? I represent Columbia All Risk Insurance on Watchman's store. Who is it? Dynamed Dollar from the insurance company?
Speaker 3: Come on in, Dollar Insurance Company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the reason you started the fire.
Speaker 3: I had nothing to do with it. I keep telling you, run over.
Speaker 2: He keeps telling me an over, run over. I keep telling him he's a.
Speaker 3: Liar, a liar, I'm not.
Speaker 2: My name is Johnny Dollars, the Waxman.
Speaker 3: How do you do?
Speaker 2: I can't depend it on him yet, I'm kind of a bomb.
Speaker 3: I ain't got no story in the Yeah, sure, he ain't like the stuff of us in the war.
Speaker 2: Another big explosure. Nobody heard an explosure. When it went off, it burned good and the area. Yeah, I don't know how he got at the.
Speaker 4: Will trace it, And yeah, of course you don't know how I got it. I didn't get it.
Speaker 2: How much was the place ensured? Twenty thousand? You're not gonna get at Waxman.
Speaker 4: Look, Lieutenant, I don't yeah, no more, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Do you hear me?
Speaker 2: You will?
Speaker 4: I'll make it a care. I didn't start There was a man killed in that fire. What I didn't start it. I didn't kill nobody.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: People lived over the store, three apartments, and old man doesn't get out. Your company won't have to pay a red cent dollar because I'm gonna prove Waxman started it.
Speaker 3: Why why would I burn down my store? I make a good living.
Speaker 2: Tell mister Dollar how much money you've gotten the back you'll hear me Waxman.
Speaker 3: Six hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: That's not much for a guy who makes a good living, is it, mister Dollar?
Speaker 3: I told you, I told you a dozen time told me.
Speaker 2: He gave five thousand to his daughter.
Speaker 3: It's the truth.
Speaker 2: Check your daughter. It's a little tough. We can't find its to live here with her papa. But she's just disappeared, and papa doesn't know where she went. Do your papa.
Speaker 4: She went on a trip, mister Dollar, a vacation. Yeah, I gave it a five thousand for a vacation. And he doesn't have any idea where she is. I don't I don't know where she went.
Speaker 2: He just gave her five thousand for a little vacation. It broke him, but his daughter needed a little vacation.
Speaker 4: Don't care anymore. I tell you, I don't care, mister Dollar. Tell your company. I don't want the insurance money.
Speaker 2: You don't get out there.
Speaker 3: I don't want out for nothing.
Speaker 2: You're on a spot. You figured it was a set. So many guys like you, Waxman, figure it's as sense and forget about guys like me. I want you for a fire and a killing, and I'm gonna get you.
Speaker 4: I'll say it forever I did not do it. I'll say it till they take me to my grain.
Speaker 2: It doesn't give you much time, and I've gotta be going. I like looking at report. Lieutenant. Yeah, sure, come along, No, No, I check with you later. I want to talk to Waman. Sure, fifteenth person. I'll be around until I find out where I got that bomb. Right, you're loose till I get something, Waxman. But uh, do me a favor, Huh whether is it? Try and leave town. I'd love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mister dollar, go back and tell your company to forget it.
Speaker 3: I don't want the insurance money.
Speaker 2: If you didn't have anything to do with the fire or entitled to it.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna leave this town when I can open a business somewhere else, another city.
Speaker 3: If I'm lucky.
Speaker 2: If you're not guilty, why not take the money.
Speaker 3: Because I cannot prove rya innocent.
Speaker 2: What are you afraid of? Why? I said, what are you afraid of? It's pretty obvious you're afraid of something.
Speaker 3: I'm not afraid. I'm I'm just I'm nervous policeman. The fire and everything.
Speaker 2: Five thousand for vacation is pretty weak.
Speaker 4: Please, mister dollar, I I let your company out of all the claims. They don't have to pay me nothing else. Please don't ask me any more questions.
Speaker 2: I cops out to get you. Look the law. I believe it.
Speaker 4: If they convict me of something I did not do, then perhaps it is in payment for something I did to break the law.
Speaker 3: What I I can't explain? Uh, please, mister.
Speaker 2: Donald, Okay, look, mister Wackman.
Speaker 3: Good day, mister Doner.
Speaker 2: I hadn't noticed. I left the building and went out on the street. Rain was coming down hotter, so I turned up my collar and started to walk. I couldn't stop thinking about Benny Waxman in this crazy, mixed up story, A guy who burned down his store with an incendiary bomb and smart enough to have a better story. The five thousand he'd given his daughter or vacation that was wrong, taking himself look guilty by telling me to forget the claim that was wrong. He was scared, not of Parkinson or me, but of something that was mixing up his reason. Maybe I was wrong too, but I was gonna find out. The fifteenth Precinct was on Madison. Lieutenant Parkinson was in his office. Hellout, hello, you look wet walk. I'll take off your coat and yeah, I sit out. Thank you? Did uh you have a talk with Watsman? M I think I couldn't tell you him five seconds. Yeah, what do you think? I'm surprised, but what he didn't come here to insult h You think he's innocent. I think there's a lot more to it than just a fire and a killing, isn't they're always I think he's scared stiff. Tell her why a guy who starts a fire. That's a better alibi. He want some coffee? Yeah, I'm good, that should be. My wife gave me the electric pot so I could have my coffee on do so as I drink too much of it, but she gave it to me. Yeah. Yes, watsman didn't start that fire. Is that strong enough? Mm CA's pretty good. Guys who burned down their bill us do it two or three different ways. Not with him in Senniary Barns. I've got to ride him. I try to be nice to him, try to get it out of him, but he's too scared a lot. Yeah, Now, I have to guess. There's a protection racket here that covers every independent store in the city. It's the tightest best controlled organization I've run up against, so tight that we've been trying to break it for a year. Two other stores have gone up this way, but the owners are so scared they won't say a thing. Scared for their families. It's the best thing to be scared for Waxman's daughter. Yeah, I don't know how she fits. I don't know how the five grand it's what do you expect to gain by making him look ill? Long shot? He won't say anything, but uh, maybe one of his friends will. Maybe they will say something if they've been scared this long. He's got one friend very close from the Angelino Giuseppe business. Yeah, delicatessen. Like Waxman, Angelino hasn't got a family, but he got beat up last year. Wouldn't make a complaint. He's scared too, but he's only got himself to worry about. Maybe if he thinks his best friend is in line for a murder raft, he would give us something to go on. Why don't you arrise Waxman make it look like he's really in trouble. And I'll do that when I have to. I think his daughter is mixed up in it some way. Most of her clothes are still in the apartment. Maybe Waxman will be contacted. I want to be around when he is. I don't know, Dolly, but a gang that can put this much fear into people might do anything. Waxman's been beat up a couple of times himself. Never pressed charges, but he's been pretty indignant. What I can find out about him, he's not the type to pay for protection. Became a citizen two years ago and believes in what he had to learn to become a citizen. Oh maybe the five thousand went to the gang. That's possible. Daughter only gotten a ton of month ago before. They could only work him over with the daughter here. And if he paid them the five thousand, why burn down his store? Uh, I've only been guessing. I haven't got the answers. No, excuse me, Parkinson, Yeah, yeah, I know you Okay, how do you like that? Why it played off? It was Angelina Giuseppe. He wants to see me great, and you wanna come along? Yeah? Sure, Hey, you make pretty good coffee, Lieutenant, I get lucky sometimes. We left the precinct and grabbed a cab. Parkinson didn't want an official car in case somebody should be watching Angelino. We cut across town, and twenty minutes later we were walking through the front door of Angelina's delicatessen. A small, broad, little man with A bald head moved around the counter and walked up to see us.
Speaker 5: Hello, look, Enny, Hello, Angie, Uh new man.
Speaker 2: Uh Johnny Dollar Insurance investigative, Measter Dollar. Not long, mister Giuseppe. What do you wanna see me for? Anie?
Speaker 6: Well, it's uh, it's uh, it's about the Bennie.
Speaker 5: Now what about that you you you're gonna arrest to him?
Speaker 2: That's right? You think he burned down his own the store? And no he did.
Speaker 5: What about you, mister Dollary? Do you think Benny burned down his store and kill that man up the stairs.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen the evidence of g I think so he'll bring me all the way over the west of that. No, no, no, lieutenant.
Speaker 5: Look, if if I tell you something, if I tell you something that maybe shows you that Benny don't burn down his store or what.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see. Maybe it's gonna make a lot of trouble for a lot of nice to keep. They'll get protection. I could get killed, not while I'm around, Angie. Well, uh, come on, Angie, if you got something, give it to me. I was on my way over to pick up Benny. And now if you've got anything they can save him. Let's have it.
Speaker 5: But I I can prove that Benny did not burn down his place. But I think I can tell you who did too. Them guys, Them guys who come around once a week and the collected.
Speaker 2: Doll tell me about him.
Speaker 5: But you remember when I got to beat up plus year, them guys had done it. That make us all pay them protection and if we.
Speaker 6: Don't, we get beat up or our families.
Speaker 2: But I don't know their names.
Speaker 6: I I.
Speaker 2: That's no matter. You better get out. Two guys across from the street. Yeah, that's the damn you better get out. They got the guns. Those the guys who beat you up. Yes, yes, a please so look or you better get out right now. Listen to me, Angie, act like we're customers when they got the gun. What I tell you, I'm alright. I like them. I try to whack like nothing's wrong, Angie.
Speaker 6: Okay, well I try only.
Speaker 2: And uh give me about eight slices of the Swiss. Now what is uh all right? I thought? I, oh, yeah, yeah, I I'd be right to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, uh we don't want no cold cut illt red Co, no car oh no, no Parkinson? What about Angie? I told him you right, nap you ma, I'm Ben the pone idiot step on the car.
Speaker 6: Al right, I thought, I how is it?
Speaker 2: How is it? The band? Parkinson is a band? I can't feel much, must speak? Let me look what about the two? Oh they've had it? You have to listen, O y one with red hair. Yeah they he used to wake the dutch fish. Dutch Fish up? He isn't it? And yeah, got to get whoever Parkinson? The embony? Yeah, sure is.
Speaker 1: We'll return you to Yours truly Johnny Dollar in just a moment beginning next week. Listen for Edmund O'Brien as Yours Truly Johnny Dollar Saturday nights on most of these stations at this time. Next Wednesday, The Great Bing Crosby Show returns to most of these same stations with Jane Wyman as being's first guest of the season. Another premiere next Wednesday, The Red Skelton Show. We'll also be back on CBS Radio, remember, starting a week from tonight, bing Crosby returns to his usual time and Red Skelton moves his ullnesses to Wednesday. On CBS Radio Now with our star Edmund O'Brien, we bring you the second act of yours truly, Johnnie Dollar.
Speaker 2: We're still raining. When they carried the lieutenant out, I explained everything to a nice young Copnick Brennas, Angelina and I got into Brenni's car headed the fifteenth Precincts A long Jeneral Clark. I just met him a few hours ago. You know, we've been trying to correct this protection record for a year. Looks like maybe we've started the hard way. Yeah, I'll lead you state with them. I'm scared. I'm really scared. I do nothing to worry about, Miss GIUSEPPI will give you all the protection protection. I guarantee it for me. He's sure.
Speaker 5: Or what about all the other people, all my friends? Well, what about to Benny Parkinson? Didn't think Benny started that fire? I know I was assigned of checking the bomb.
Speaker 6: Or why do you think we inter said nothing before?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 6: Because they threaten us. They threatened my friends. They tell them if if they say anything, they're gonna hurt their family.
Speaker 2: What about the barn? Nothing doesn't have much to go on for the first person, you'll lie.
Speaker 5: So Lieutenant's a lie. He told me Benny wasn't gonna be arrested. That's why I was gonna tell him about those guys that beating me up.
Speaker 2: Nobody had to talk.
Speaker 5: Oh sure, I talk, and look what happened. What do you think is gonna happen to Benny now?
Speaker 6: Because I thought, huh, they got here the talk. I ain't gonna tell you nothing the more.
Speaker 2: What about Benny's daughter, Ergie?
Speaker 6: No, no, I ain't gonna get to nobody in a moon.
Speaker 2: No more trouble. The troilers happened, Ergie. Well, I don't care if they're gonna make it tough on Benny. They'll do it now.
Speaker 5: Just because I called it lit, just because I want to help for Benny.
Speaker 2: The only way you can help Benny and is to tell us what you know.
Speaker 6: No, that too many other people, my friend.
Speaker 2: And we can save them. Tell us what you know and we'll get the people who make the trouble. No, okay, when they dragged Benny's daughter out of the river, I hope you think about it.
Speaker 6: Oh you think I wanted You think I want to see Benny's a little girl. Look I got a thing about all the all.
Speaker 2: Listen, listen. You think this won't happen again if we don't get them in behind.
Speaker 6: This, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Look, gangie, you've got beat up. Last year, Benny got beat up twice. Stores have been ruined, Benny's place was bombed, and an old man burned to death upstairs. We ada Parkinson and two killers around the way to the morgue. Every one of you kept your mouth shut for a year, and look what's happened. You think it's gonna get better?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, what.
Speaker 2: About Benny's doing it? They got her? Oh I don't know.
Speaker 6: The only ones I ever saw were the two guys who got killed a little while ago. Benny came over to my place one night. He was in an awful condition.
Speaker 2: It wasn't crying.
Speaker 6: He said they had to tell somebody.
Speaker 2: They got his Louisa, And he say why they got it?
Speaker 6: And Ben and he hated them. He didn't ever pay them any money, so they beat him up twice, but he still didn't pay them.
Speaker 5: He said they didn't have no right, but he wouldn't go to the police because he wasn't scared for me and my friends. Then Louisa came here from Detroit to Michigan, and they took her and made him pay five thousand dollars to get ow back.
Speaker 2: Why did they burn down his store to.
Speaker 5: Teach the rest of us a lesson those two guys who were killed.
Speaker 6: And that's what they said.
Speaker 5: They said, if I didn't pay them every week, that would happen to me and anybody else that didn't paid them.
Speaker 2: Did they send then his daughter back to him tonight?
Speaker 6: Tonight? They were supposed to send her back to him.
Speaker 2: Will they do you think they will? Now? I don't know. Rolled our way over the wet pavements that reflected the sun as it sank into the river behind us, and the precinct. Brand's got our statements and took me down to the mud fire to look at pictures of Red Dylan as partner. That's Dylan one two mean six arrests, two convictions, one in the state, Kansas City employ Yeah, most of the arrest that city. That boy I don't the only thing about the other guy, I think he's new. When will you get a report? And that shouldn't go on Parkinson's that Dylan used to work for Dutch Fisher. Yeah, there's Fisher's package. Uh huh m. He's still doing time. Yeah. Convicted June nineteen forty three, sentence to state prison. July same year, ten of twenty armed robbery. Mm that's seem right rhymes yeah, Lou Fleischman. Oh okay, that's the Arctic back now, thanks, that's the other one, ouh Fleischman. That name's on Fisher's card. Yeah, convicted with Lou Fleischman. Wait a minute, remember that rad Fisher got sent up on his pick payroll job. Here it is both Fleischmann. Convicted nineteen forty three, five to ten. Released July twenty sixth, nineteen fifty one. I wonder I thought he was a new boy. It's like the gang stuck together. That there was somebody else in that hole that had him alibi if I remember it, never pinned it on him. Might be our boy. I can't remember him. He should be easy to check. Yah, let's find out he was beginning to fit. The two strong arm boys had worked together in Kansas City for a man named Dutch Fisher who was still doing time, and there was a fourth member of the gang still unaccounted for. In a half hour, Branda's had the information. His name is Billotti, I remember now, George Bilotti. He took the information down to the mug file and dug out the package on George Blotti, the fourth member of the Dutch fisher Gang. Branna's took one look at his picture and his mouth fell open. Well, oh, what's wrong George Bilotti about him? He's in the city I know, and let's go talk to him. Uh No, Now, look, Fenny's daughter is still missing. That remark I made about the river could become a fact. George Biolati is George Bivens. That's the name I know him by. I came to this town about seven years ago, runs a respectable night and pick him up on what suspicion he's clean in this town. You've certainly got enough in this record. I have a talk to him. There isn't much time. If we pick him up, that girl won't live five minutes. Yeah, where's his nightclub? Fifty second Street, the Yellow Parrot. Why somebody's got to talk to him? And then your official capacity, you'll never get the answers you wanted. What makes you think I'll give them to you? Because I kind of liked Lieutenant Parkinson.
Speaker 6: Yes on your one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, George Bivens got an apploytment. No, well you Johnny Dalla tell Bevins, I want to see him.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you gotta have an appointment.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna spoil if I stand around much longer. What a rotten For all I care? You aren't gonna see Vans. You get excited like this all the time. Yeah, you were in your stomach.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: You don't know skeptic. Hey, you're at the piano. Which way do I go to find VNS? Thanks? Who are you? Name's Dolla? What do you want? Ad you get by Ziggie? He's tied up with a stomach ache. Oh, swallow the fist. Okay, you get rough? What else do you do? Find out things? Cop? I'll make this quick, Vivins, because I have to read. Dylan and Lou Fleischman are pretty dead. Yeah we were there. You worked with him in Kansas City in forty three. I did I forget Dylan, Fleischman and Fisher together you pull the fancy payroll robbery. The law didn't think Lieutenant Parkinson was shot to death by Dylan. Is that all not quite? We'll get it off your chest. I'm busy. Dylan and Fleischman were working a protection racket. Look you if they were just the collectors. I've had about enough of this. I'm gonna throw you off. It's just what I want. I'll get up. What do you think you're doing. I'm gonna show you. You've got Benny Waxman's daughter. What are you talking about to me if I made a mistake, you've got his daughter? You're crazy? Like your two boys killed Parkinson and burned down Benny's store. I don't know what you know. Stand up. Yeah, we've been beating up a lot of nice little people for a year, and now that nose is just a down painting. You think you're busting here and you know you keep falling down. You better sit in a chair. Now, listen to me, Bevans. I'm in a nasty mood. Besides all the other people getting pushed around. Your boys tried for me too. I'm behind schedule, The cops can't book you, and I'm not gonna let you kill that girl to save your dirty neck. Now where is she? I don't know where she is? Please believe me, vibvns. Oh look, I got friends, they'll take care of you. Who's gonna tell him to do it? I am your mouth swollen shut? Come on, Bibbons. Where is she? No? Where? Oh? Where? Warehouse Fourteenth Street. Up. What warehouse? Alright? No, no rogers and sons, big big sign on the top, police department. Please, don't you know it's not the light to listen? Vivns, what do you want me to do? Go to sleep? I gave Sergeant Brenners what I had, and he told me he'd meet me at the warehouse, but in the meantime he'd send over for Vans. He was as good as his word, for in less than three minutes, radio patrolmen were taking charge of Bivens and his entourage. The place looked like a police lineup on. I left and headed for the warehouse. It was getting late when my cab pulled up near the river and a cold wind was moving in from the Atlantic. Brenner's got there a few minutes later, and he staked out his men. The girl is in right here to go on the front door. Let's go in a window. I'm a second story at at heart. Anyway, Now, did you ever get Bivens to talk? He'll tell everyone and he's bound to get Michael lousy cut. Brenners gave his men orders and we went looking for a weak window. We found one of the back crawled through and dropped down on the dark, cold pavement inside of the warehouse. I could hear a radio from somewhere towards the front of the building, so we picked our way along the wall until we found a flight of stairs and climbed up to the main floor. We opened the door and listened. Y you getting cool? Yeah, I wish bibbots would call and tell us what to do with us, Dane. We kept going and moving as quiet and as possible until we saw them, two men sitting in a small storeroom. The door was open. We could see the girl tiede and gangs. It wasn't gonna be easy. There was something new statements, I don't get the most room, make a noise, bring 'em out to see where the way is. Okay, you better said that. You get down that side and say we get them between it and want to shoot into that office. But give it about ten seconds and then push one of those crates over. I mean, hung, we doo and I have a relaxed Okay, what here it is? Something? Of course? Tell her who to relax. I didn't hear nothing. I've got a lot of jumps. We've been in this dump for three days. Now, what was that you gonna tell me? I'm here the thinks now, some somebody's out there and you'll kill a light?
Speaker 5: What do we do?
Speaker 2: Shut up with this time?
Speaker 6: Kidnapping?
Speaker 2: Not shut up? Yeah, maybe it's nothing, maybe a cat or a rat or something.
Speaker 6: Let's get out of here. Let's forget the dam and get out.
Speaker 2: Don't you to keep your face shut? Now? Come on, let's see what it was.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe it's the cop.
Speaker 2: Something was wrong Vivins with a call. Well, maybe he couldn't.
Speaker 6: Maybe the dollumn man.
Speaker 2: That's come on, I don't see nothing. It's too dark. There's a great rober boys cos this one's dead. Yeah, the other one's on his way. Well, let's go get the girl. Benny's worried enough. We took Benny's daughter back to our father and he confirmed the story that Angie had told us. Angie was sent home, and the last I heard, the store owners who had been paying protection to Vibbins were planning the biggest block party since the Boston t Caper. Expensec count eed him two twenty dollars and eighty cents for two dinners. Brenner's was nearly as hungry. As I was id him three sixteen dollars flowers for Lieutenant Parking since funeral, and I am four the same as Adam won faan incidentals between New York and Hartford. Expense account total one hundred and one dollars ninety two cents. And the next time you send me out on a simple little insurance fire, make sure it's really simple. I don't mind helping people out occasionally, but I'm too old and too underpaid to go back to being a boy scout. Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar.
Speaker 1: Yours Truly Johnny Dollar stars Edmund O'Brien in the title role and was written by Blake Edwards with music by Eddie Dunsteader. Edmond O'Brien can now be seen starring in the Paramount Pictures production Warpad. Featured in tonight's cast were Joel Samuel's Bill, Conrad Sidney Miller, Jay Novello, and Ray Hartman. Yours Truly Johnny Dollar is transcribed in Hollywood by him do Vaier. Beginning next week October sixth, Johnny Dollar will be heard on Saturdays at a new time. This is Dan coverly inviting you to be with us on Saturday, October sixth, when Edmund O'Brien returns.
Speaker 2: As yours truly, Johnny Dobvitt.
Speaker 1: Our country needs the help of every citizen. Defense bonds provide that help. They help to make America strong financially. They help to curb inflation. They make the individual family more secure. Defense bonds strengthen the military front, the production front, and the economic front. And just as important, buying United States Defense bonds helps you by providing you with a safe, sound, profitable investment. Don't forget defense is your job too. Buy United States Defense bonds today. Strike a blow for freedom. Join the Crusade for Freedom to get the truth to people behind the Iron curtain. As long as they're kept in ignorance, the tense world situation may not improve. Support the Crusade for Freedom with funds for Freedom. Stay tuned now for the Virgil Achans Freddy Dawson fight, which follows immediately over most of these same stations