Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And it is a Tuesday morning, August twentieth, Taco Tuesday, and a lot going on today, A lot of politics are happening. Why because this is the week of the Democratic National Convention. And by the way, Gary and Shannon are at the convention all week covering it for KFI. Now, what happened last night, well, exactly what everybody thought would happened. It was the send off to Joe Biden, and it was this love fest for Joe Biden, and it was just, oh God, we love Joe, We love Joe, not mentioning that we pushed Joe out, we pushed Joe out. That simply didn't exist. I mean, revisionist history just didn't happen. Now, to be fair, what else are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Right? He is being described as selfless.
Speaker 2: He is being described as giving up his personal ambition for the good of the country and the good of the party, not mentioning, of course, that he had no chance of winning against Donald Trump, and the pressure that was pushed on him, was put on him to bail out. Was well. Between Nancy Pelosi and Hakim Jeffries, and you've got Chuck Schumer. You just people were pushing, pushing pushes. They can't win. So finally he got it, and so he is done. And then it was talking about the future, and a lot of it was Kamala Harris. Of course, he said, choosing Harris as his running mate in twenty twenty was the best decision I made in my whole career. Now keep in mind what happened a month ago. The party was completely fractured. I mean, it was in trouble. You had the Republican ticket riding as high as you can possibly at this point, and then it all completely switched from he's a doddering old man to now nominee is not a doddering old man.
Speaker 1: What you have is a.
Speaker 2: Sixty year old looks younger woman who is mixed race, a woman.
Speaker 1: A liberal whoa what happened?
Speaker 2: So now, what are the attacks on Kamala Harris in addition to her being a member of the Communist Party and going to destroy humanity single handedly? Okay, that's a political shot. I'll take that. But I'm better looking than Kamala Harris. Come on, guy, really, you're better looking than Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: Okay, why don't we go there?
Speaker 3: But all night long it was both a hit to Trump and it was a peon or payan that how pronounced p A p A I n pan to the presidents.
Speaker 2: So he comes up there, he was the keynote. He would have been on Thursday accepting the nomination, but that's going to be Kamala Harris. So he got this four minute ovation that he that could have gone a lot longer. He calmed it down and did way beyond the time that he should have been speaking. Thing ran way long, and what we thought is exactly what happened. He touted what he has done, which depending on what the political level or where on the political scale you look, I think a lot of it is very good, too liberal for my taste.
Speaker 1: But that's the way.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk more about Kamala Harris with some of her positions vis a VI well she's being accused of and we'll talk about it later. Going to instigate price controls. Okay, it's uh, there's a lot going on where I hate both of them and I like both of them in different ways. Donald Trump mainly for his entertainment aspects of it. She is not nearly as fun as he is.
Speaker 1: That's the part that I can't We don't know yet. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Can maybe if she drinks more when she's speaking. Hey, didn't you feel like it was kind of a eulogy? It was Joe Biden from people who pushed him off the train.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then that's the realism and to the point where I mean, she has turned around. The Democrats have turned around this campaign for sure. All of a sudden, Kamala Harris is ahead in polls, and frankly, Republicans are sweating bullets on this one, and they have yet to figure out how they're going to attack her. And even Trump's own main main supporters Phil Graham, for example, Lindsey Graham says, we got to stay away from this personal stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just not going to work.
Speaker 2: You can't say you're better looking than Kamala Harrison think that people are going to vote for you based on that. But I think the takeaway was Joe Biden a wonderful human being. I don't remember last time it happened where you had a president at this point, It's never happened, by the way, I don't think a president at this point in the campaign, the nominee dropping out, sitting president nominee of his party, and he says, I'm gone. I think to the extent that he does care about the party more than he does his own political future. I think that has yeah, that has some reality to that. And as they were pushing him out and he's trying to grab onto every handrail, trying to stay in, and he finally gets thrown over the edge. Okay, on the way down he goes, but I get it. It's for the good of the party. And then Hillary Clinton last night, I gotta tell you, she talked about the glass ceiling and finally she was almost there, and finally we have Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: You know the reason why Hillary didn't make it because everybody hated Hillary.
Speaker 2: That's why, on a personal level, everybody hate hates Hillary, or enough people hated her. That's why I wouldn't vote for her. I wouldn't vote for Trump. Won't do it again. And I'll tell you my candidate just didn't even stand a chance. The candidate I voted for, it was a write in. It was the dead gorilla out of the Cincinnati Zoo. I don't think legally number one. Anyone. Well, first of all, gorillas can't run and win, and particularly dead gorillas can't.
Speaker 1: One can't run and win.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what more happens more at the DNC. The big one is going to be her speech on Thursday night. And if you ever, if you ever have a chance to talk to her, By the way, I've talked to many many people that talk to her, you have to there has to be room behind you for her teleprompter to be up there when she talks to you, because there's well, let's just say, there's going to be a lot of discussion about that, Okay. At the same time, yesterday you see California President Michael Drake directed chancellors of all ten campuses to strictly enforce rules against encampments, protests that block pathways, masking.
Speaker 1: That shields identities. And you can't do that. You know, all these people.
Speaker 2: That are wearing shields, they're wearing masks. If it's for the purpose of hiding your face during the commission of a crime, as in trespassing, vandalizing, illygal assembly, that is illegal. However, if you're doing that as a safety precaution, wearing a mask because of COVID. Well, that is legal, and so you know where's the line on that one. Well, my guess is if you're wearing a Palestinian one of those raps. You've seen that checkered Palestinian rap of course everybody has, and they take them from the local Italian restaurant. These are the tablecloths that they have, and then they turn them into Palestinian head wraps that you can't argue that that's for health purposes, can you.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be tough.
Speaker 2: And therein lies the issue, and that is the protests and how far the protests go. And here is where reality is not being met. You have each side looking at it totally differently. You have the protesters who believe that encampments, I guess, rushing the police anytime there is a quote illegal assembly. They don't believe that any of that is possible. They don't believe any of that is legal. It is a first Amendment right to put up tents on the quad. It is a first Amendment right to for example, block people from walking into class, all a jeuse of which we've seen story after a story. I have not heard of one protester arguing First Amendment rights saying we should.
Speaker 1: Not do that. That crosses the line.
Speaker 2: Nope, all the enforcement is a violation of their First Amendment rights. In the meantime, you have the schools finally coming to the tables saying that's it, We're done. Encampments gone, vandalism, you'll be arrested, Illegal assemblies declared by the police will be will be dealt with.
Speaker 1: If you look at.
Speaker 2: What's going on in Chicago, there are places that are segregated for the protest, saying, hey, here's the place. What do they do? They overrun the barriers. In this case it was one barrier and four people were arrested. That is the difference protests today, and the vast majority are peaceful. I mean, there's no question about it. They're not overrunning, they're not well anymore, they're not vandalizing because I think the police are much stricter. And it's come to the point where now, because of public pressure, these school administrators are finally saying Okay, enough is enough.
Speaker 1: Probably UC Berkeley, where the free speech.
Speaker 2: Movement started, has now come to the table and said we're not going to take this anymore. Protest all you want, you're simply not going to commit a crime.
Speaker 1: That's it. It's not simple.
Speaker 2: You know, you want to call that protesting, you can call whatever the hell you want. You have a camp, encamp when it's gone, you breach a barrier that's set up for the purposes of protesting, that's an illegal assembly, unlawful assembly.
Speaker 1: You'll be arrested. You deface buildings.
Speaker 2: Now they haven't gone so far as to say vandalism and defacing and occupying buildings somehow is.
Speaker 1: A First Amendment issue.
Speaker 2: But for the first time you have the schools coming hard, hard down on the protesters that have gone beyond protesting. Every one of them are saying, we believe in First Amendment rights. By the way, when was the university not in favor of First Amendment rights? I mean, come on, we believe in First Amendment rights. All right, great, Now, what the issue is not your belief in First Amendment rights. The issue is how far you're going to go in protecting your school and your students as against those people that are arguing First Amendment rights. Now, do whatever the hell you want, just do it in those prescribed areas. Do not block entrance is certainly asking people, and we've had stories of this. Jews are intimidated by a lot of these pro Palestinian demonstrators, and as they are with the pro Israeli demonstrators.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just the good news.
Speaker 2: And we're not going to see nineteen sixty eight again. That's just not going to happen.
Speaker 1: And if you have any idea of.
Speaker 2: What I'm talking about, or try to you don't understand, or don't know, or don't care, or you're too young to understand what the history was, go on YouTube and just look up nineteen sixty eight Democratic National Convention, protestations or protesters out on the streets.
Speaker 1: You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: All right now, philled on to you. That song died yesterday. It was announced yesterday.
Speaker 1: He died eighty eight.
Speaker 2: And for those people that don't remember Filled on You, and anybody I think over sixty would be remembering who Filled on You was. He basically invented the modern daytime television talk show. He totally reinvented it and brought to us what we now know as the modern.
Speaker 1: TV talk show. Most of them horrifically bad.
Speaker 2: He was not only good at what he did, he was a real pioneer too. And what he did is he covered topics, and I'm talking about important topics of the day. Prior to that, television is basically entertainment. The only time you had important topics being discussed was on the Sunday talk show Sunday morning political talk shows. And then occasionally you would have a documentary or so Edward R. Morell for example, doing a documentary. But for the most part daily shows it was nothing serious, and he took it serious. I mean human rights, international relations, I mean really important stuff. Abortion and at the same time male strippers, safe sex orgies, which, by the way, I've never been to one of those, so I don't know. How's that for protection. I started in nineteen sixty seven, twenty nine years syndicated run.
Speaker 1: I mean, what a success he had. And here's what he did.
Speaker 2: Away with opening monologues, gone, no couch, no sidekick, no band.
Speaker 1: He stood up the whole time.
Speaker 2: And it was in the round or in the square, and the audience was all around him and it was just him and the guests and the audience focused on a single topic. Now, at that time, audiences were expected just to be seen, not heard. The only time you would ever see or hear audiences when they applauded with the big applause sign going up, or one of the employees there, one of the crew holding up applause.
Speaker 1: Applause.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's when I had my TV talks. That is exactly what happened. When there was supposed to be applause, the sign would go up and my audience was silent. It was crickets. The show didn't do well. I just want to point that out. It was just horrific. And I've joked about it before. In any case, what he did he started asking the audience the questions. And this happened during commercial breaks. He would be interviewing a guest, and during the commercial breaks he would banter with the audience, and he realized, you know, some of these folks have sharper questions than I do. They actually have gone off into a direction that I haven't thought of.
Speaker 1: So he started.
Speaker 2: Bringing the audience in and you'd have people in the stage on the stage with the audience surrounding it, and he would go to audience members.
Speaker 1: And say, what do you have to say about this? You know, what's your question?
Speaker 2: And that became the basis of a show that well, one of the most successful television shows in history, certainly daytime shows. His first guests, by the way, just to show you where he went, was Madeline Murray O'Hare, and you may have not heard of her. She was at that point the most famous atheists that existed in the United States, and she and her family were followed by the cops once her son got a ticket running through a stop sign of which there was no stop sign there at all, and he was able to prove to the judge the stop sign didn't even.
Speaker 1: Exist, he still got tagged.
Speaker 2: I mean, that family was hated, and he had her on, and the number of guests that he had on, I mean just extraordinary, more than six thousand episodes, twenty Daytime Emmy Awards, and two hundred stations. And then he fell to two things. One his ratings went on the toilet. And then there was this woman who she started a talk show I think of Chicago. I think her name was Oprah Winfrey, and she took Daytime talk to a level that's never been seen.
Speaker 1: He was a feminist from day one.
Speaker 2: He also was brought up as a very strict Roman Catholic Phil Donahue and he left the church and dismissed it a sexist, racist, unnecessarily destructive.
Speaker 1: Fair to say. He was a lapse lapse Catholic.
Speaker 2: And of all the guests that he had, Ralph Nader was his favorite one, and he actually campaigned for Ralph Nader, who single handedly destroyed Al Gore's presidency his run for president, and that's how George W.
Speaker 1: Bush became the president.
Speaker 2: Interesting guy. Interesting guy. And some lawsuits were filed against the show. Someone some loss. But the influence of Phil donnae you had was just extraordinary. And as a matter of fact, as I said, there was early early on in my career insurrogacy, there was a case in which we didn't know who the father was and that was a real controversy. The surrogate mother didn't know who the father was, and in those days it was one of the early pre DNA tests, but you could tell who the father was. Well, we got the information, we found out and you know where that test was revealed on the Phil Donahue Show.
Speaker 1: Where else?
Speaker 2: All right, I want to talk about AI, and I'm talking a lot about AI because you know, our heads are or should be spinning with AI and the analogy is at the beginning of the computer age, and we had no idea where it was going. But it took five minutes to figure it out. Right, with AI, it takes thirty seconds to begin to try to figure it out. And we're not even close, not even close. The problem is this moving at such breakneck speed.
Speaker 1: We're running to try to keep.
Speaker 2: Out keep up with it, and it's not working. So there's a story in the Atlantic about this. College professor Kyle Jensen, director of Arizona State University's writing program. Each year, twenty three thousand students take writing courses, of which he oversees.
Speaker 1: And here's the problem.
Speaker 2: AI tools can generate competent college papers in seconds.
Speaker 1: Here you go, and it's competent. In some cases it's be work.
Speaker 2: In some cases it's e work, or excuse me, some cases it's a work.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So a week after chat GPT appears in November twenty twenty two, the Atlantic ran an article the college essay is dead.
Speaker 1: Now we're two years later.
Speaker 2: And Kyle Jensen now he runs the National Endowment for the Humanities funded project Generative AI Literacy Program for Humanity instructors. Well, he's been incorporating large bottles of as use English courses or into English courses. And he's part of a new breed of faculty who want to embrace AI while they're trying to figure out how do you control AI. I mean, he's a strong believer in the value of traditional writing. Of course he would, he's a writing instructor.
Speaker 1: But what do you do?
Speaker 2: Not only would the problems but the potential of AI to facilitate education. The first year of AI college ended in ruins. It was a disaster. Students techted, the technology faculty was caught off guard.
Speaker 1: Cheating was widespread.
Speaker 2: Tools that identified computer written essays were insufficient.
Speaker 1: Students who used.
Speaker 2: AI for legitimate reasons let's say they used A to help them with research or just consulted them for example grammar checking software, they were labeled as cheats. You're throwing in the same pile as cheaters. Faculties asked students not to use AI, or at least tell the faculty when they were, And who's going to do that? So now we're the third year of AI college and is the problem any better?
Speaker 1: Nope? Nope, And here is some of the problems.
Speaker 2: Chat GPT arrived on college campuses when instructors and students and the school itself reeling from the pandemic, and we know the problem that the pandemic had. There was a writing professor interviewed at a school in Florida who was so demoralized by all the students cheating he's ready to give up take a job in tech. Said, it crushed me. I fell in love with teaching. I've loved my time in the classroom, but with chat G everything feels hopeless. He's lost trust in the system, in the students because generative AI has pretty much ruined the integrity of online classes, which of course those are gone if you want any legitimacy. And it is just a heartbreaker by the way it's gone from just being horrible, not being able to understand, being used to cheat, into absurdism, is the way it's described in the Atlantic. Teachers are teaching and they wonder are they grading students or are they grading computers.
Speaker 1: That's a hell of a way to teach, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So what you have is this game that goes on in arms race, if you will, regarding AI cheating.
Speaker 1: And detection systems. Are they keeping up? No, not really, They're talking about water.
Speaker 2: Marks somehow, and Neil and I have talked about watermarks to at least we know what's being used in AI, what is being generated, And we were talking about that with the scripts, etc.
Speaker 1: But here's the problem. Watermarks can be tampered with. Two. You know, the bad guys are just really good at this. So the problem is what do you do well? Do you incorporate AI in grading? I think that works.
Speaker 2: English teachers have the hardest job in teaching. I don't even know why people go into teaching English. You've got a class of thirty five or thirty two students. Let's say you have four classes of students, right, so you're looking at one hundred and something students that you're teaching a homework assignment. Let's say you give three or four homework assignments essay writing, you're grading hundreds of them.
Speaker 1: You know, you're better off being a PE teacher, you know, where you don't.
Speaker 2: Have homework and all you have to do is abuse the kids, you know, and bat them around and do what the PE teachers did to me, swap the hell out of me whenever I acted up. It's not the same school just isn't the same. It's not as much fun. You can't abuse people as much, but you can cheat.
Speaker 1: You can cheat.
Speaker 2: I'm about to you know today someone told me because you know I do the of course you do. I do the podcasts, and I'll tell you a little bit more about that, and and produces them for me because as my producer.
Speaker 1: And then there's an outline and.
Speaker 2: Who is it that said to me, why don't you try AI chat GPT to put everything in order and to compile it.
Speaker 1: Go Wow? You know, I think I'm gonna try that. I think I'm gonna try that. AI AI for me, AI for you, AI for all of us.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app