Speaker 1: Ah, there we go. It's October.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed, we got the music for October past year. It is a green Country Guard program and learned glasses.
Speaker 3: I set my iron skill on the on the sidewalk and cook my breakfast.
Speaker 1: I bet you did. My goodness, whoever thought it be this hot in October? Huh? I know, God, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: You look like you lost about another three or four pounds just water weight the last week.
Speaker 3: You bet there's another notch on the belt.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, we're gonna run out of belt homes anyway.
Speaker 3: But despite this anomalous weather pattern, there's things we need to be doing doing in the fault. Okay, And right now the mums are starting to open up, and the Panzi's and kale are out and ready for those beds.
Speaker 1: Get those beds ready.
Speaker 3: Remember you can't plot them into clay now because by all means Pansy's I guess that's the name implies they're not very tough. Okay, yeah, they don't. They don't do well in the clay. So if you do want something like that, we've done pansy plantings for customers and we add the composts and there's one one person we've done for for god must have been fifteen years. Finally, we just don't need to add any composts anymore. You don't even have to dig a hole. You just kind of scratch and put it in and they do great. So you got to you really have to have kind of a loose soil for the pansies to do well well, okay, and you do what you can to moderate fluctuations in the soil.
Speaker 1: Temperature too, because you're going to get them.
Speaker 3: Hot enough to melt lead one day and hot.
Speaker 1: Enough to freeze.
Speaker 3: Well anyway, if or weather it's rather up and down here, if you will, so anyway for the gread and plant those right now. The kale plant's also can be planted right now. At this point, we have a greenhouse full of a panzies at the nursery.
Speaker 1: So those of you with colored radar are there. You go, there, we go, there's our there's our production. My goodness sakes that time. We have thousands, thousands.
Speaker 3: Of them in the greenhouse ready to be ready to go, and they need to be in the ground pretty soon.
Speaker 1: Rose and Rose, they go, yeah, look at look at that. Jeezus, what is that seventy feet long? It's a.
Speaker 3: It's a one hundred foot long greenhouse and each bench is about ten feet wide.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, you got quite a lot.
Speaker 3: Actually, we do some exporting too. You sell to other nurseries in the tul and so on.
Speaker 1: All right, so yeah, so you're one of them. Got your big stuff.
Speaker 3: Now keep in mind that your soil really needs to be done right for them to do well. Okay, and the addition of even some pete moss or we don't you saw this because it'll in the decomposition of the sawdust, nitrogen is consumed by the bacteria and break it down. One problem people have with panzies are rabbits. Yeah, and get a little bag of blood meal, and they'll kind of stay away from the well that something like uncle uncle bunny there, so.
Speaker 1: They don't bother too much.
Speaker 3: But anyway, the blood meal is a good source of available nitrogen. However, as warm as it is, the blood meal can actually burn the plants, just like using any other heavy nitrogen on there. So it's something you want to do when it when it cools down a little bit, so and I think this week it is supposed to cool down somewhat, so good, thank you. Anyway, the ground is warm and the era is warm as prime time for fall planting. Rememb're always prepare that soil properly, uh before you even buy the plant to get you get your ground ready and get it turned up, get it all chopped.
Speaker 1: Up real nice.
Speaker 3: If it's really hard and difficult to prepare, you might want to consider watering it rather heavily the day before, and then it'll be a lot easier to work too. There you go, so right now our chiller is just bounces around, so you want to make sure it's wet. So gyp Some cis or two H steel can be used on all soil types and all pH ranges.
Speaker 1: It improves plant health and productivity.
Speaker 3: It helps fight diseases caused by fungus exactly. It improves nitrogen utilization and fixation. So cool stuff huh, helps manage macronutrient deficiencies, and it improves soil structure, eeration, drainage and vertibility of plants and so on, and reduces a soil surface crusting and improves seed emergence. So pretty good stuff. So it does help create optimum calcium slash magnesium ratio in your soil too, and it's safe for organic growers. So gypsum is pretty good stuff. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully, don't don't apply too much, and you'll do just fine. I use a lot of it at home. My stuff because I live on Mars, basically.
Speaker 1: Does help loosen up the soil.
Speaker 3: And when we encounter soil prep that does involve a lot of bedwork, we do added to it to help loosen.
Speaker 1: It up too. So gyps is pretty good stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, time on your lawns right now, let's see it's time to installve fisku seed. But time is kind of running out, so you want to get a little bit bit. It looks like it's upcoming week to night time temperatures, you're going.
Speaker 1: To be fairly cool. Yeah, So if you have.
Speaker 3: A means by which the water the ground can be irrigated effectively before you put down the said, you might consider doing that. If the ground is really hard and dry at this point, so fest your seed like you know, a fair fair amount of moisture and some on.
Speaker 1: You just don't scatter it on top of bare dry ground.
Speaker 3: We've had people come back and come into the nursery and say, well, can I just scatter this on the ground. I say, well you could, yeah, but your shovel bounces off the ground. If you really want to be successful at it, you want to do just at least a minimum of soil prep to get it to go on there real well, at the very very minimum. If you can dig up, dig in the ground a little bit, you might get a scoop of soil which we can deliver and do a top dressing and then put the seed on. Then it'll have a surface in which you can go down into and grow properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do want to water your seedy.
Speaker 3: Don't water it all the time, just just water it real good and don't let it dry out too much. So you might consider watering in the morning. You can get elect a hose in timer them the nigger hose, interrogate and we'll go go to work, to work, come home from lunch. You might pop it on again a little bit.
Speaker 1: Or Actually they have.
Speaker 3: These digital plugin timers. I use them at home that you can little battery powered things. You can run them too through time today a certain amount of time too, and robotic watering.
Speaker 1: It helps a whole lot too.
Speaker 3: So I use them for my hanging pots connected to the hose every morning at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: Here we go.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so you can more or less automate the water that way, that's one way to do it. But really a deep tilling and a bit of compost will make your efforts more successful.
Speaker 1: I mean, why go through all that work just to have it not work? So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Okay, there are many rides of fescue out there we go with the five star. Five star fescue has five different varieties of rescue.
Speaker 1: When it one of them is bound to work. There you go.
Speaker 3: But it does make a good a good texture, and be careful not to over apply the sea the seed.
Speaker 1: Rather, we get some customers and they just put it on really really heavy.
Speaker 3: Well, when you do that, it kind of smothers itself out and your your grass comes up. Yeah, it looks really nice, but it starts to kind of wilt and turn brown because it's just too crowded.
Speaker 1: Because they're all fighting, all seeds are fighting.
Speaker 3: There's a resources for it to grow, and it grows up and it forms a matt if you will, and then you get an anaerobic fungal.
Speaker 2: Situation in the skills everything, and then you get phytop thoria, which is a fungus disease.
Speaker 3: It causes the collapse of the vascular tissue in the plant and they just fall over.
Speaker 1: Just like that, like that, and it was going.
Speaker 3: So, so know your square footage and if anything applies lighter, do more than one application. In other words, if it says use number four on the on the spreader, you might want to go with number two and do it lightly twice.
Speaker 1: That'll that'll give you better even distribution of your seat.
Speaker 3: Also, okay, And a fertilizer, maybe a ten twenty ten to get started with. The twenty is phosphorus and it helps the root growth and all that, and ten percent nitrogens enough.
Speaker 1: To get it off to a little bit of a good start.
Speaker 3: And when it finally cools down, then you can start adding more nitrogen to the soil. But you don't want to do too much because it'll grow too quickly and then you get stem disease. Yeah, rot because it's too tender and don't want that. Yeah, And as it grows. Also, you want to back off on the watering when it starts to sprout. Instead of keeping it wet, you want to have a dry period between waterings. So you water it one day and then waited day another day of way today, and as it gets more mature, you can water it one day and wait two days. Okay, one day and way two days later on, just so it does have a chance for the surface to dry out, because as warm as it is, we're gonna have some big difficulties with the fundus.
Speaker 2: You don't want that, don't want that at all, okay, all right, no funngus among us. No, we don't want to. All right, We're gonna take a quick break. We're gonna be right back with more of the Green Country Gardener program and some opop music right after these words.
Speaker 1: We'll be back after this two minutes ten second time out.
Speaker 4: This is Kat Human from Gateway First Bank in Bartlesville.
Speaker 5: Exciting news.
Speaker 4: Our CD rates are hotter than ever. Right now you can lock in a fantastic four point eighty five percent apy on a seventh month CD. Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage yield for seven months.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 4: To grow your savings, apply online at Gateway First dot com or visit us at our Barticle branch located at four to two to two South Deuey Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A hundred minimal balance is required and this offers are available for a UCB deposits only Gateway first Bank number FD I see.
Speaker 6: If you're a do it yourself the place you need to go and the place you need to know is United Rentals. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will.
Speaker 5: Look like a nail.
Speaker 6: Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 5: United Rentals.
Speaker 7: Green dam Nurse Being Greenhouses is added again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start planning pansies and ornamental kale Now. It's also time to think ahead by sewing your fesc.
Speaker 5: Seed for a beautiful lawn next year.
Speaker 7: Greentham has five star blind fesc seed in right now, It's never too in the season to plant trees and shrubs and Greentham has the new shipments in green Them nursery and greenhouses on the water Road open Monday through Saturday, ninety five Sunday eleven.
Speaker 8: Four Skyway Honda, Highway seventy five South in Barblesfeld Evan far back with Josh Madney Josh twenty twenty five around the lot at Skyway Honda. They brought some special interest rates with them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you've been holding off buying because of high interest rates, you need to come check out Honda's.
Speaker 1: There are great rates on every making model outfit.
Speaker 6: Southside of Bartlesville under the giant American flood on Highway seventy five Skyway Honda.
Speaker 5: Well, you get the best deal without the ordeal.
Speaker 2: Celebrating the month of October here on the Green Country Gardener Program, it is eight twenty one.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the show. If you've got a question or.
Speaker 2: Comment for Larry our guru, you just said do that at e I'm red seven four five ninety three six or glass?
Speaker 1: What do we have? Well?
Speaker 3: Anyway, and in addition to grass seed, the fall color is starting to show up in the tree. Yeah. I don't know if it's stressed.
Speaker 1: Or what I'm gonna be willing to bet that it is a little bit of both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But anyway, it's time to consider planting trees in the landscape. And you know, there are some things you want to consider when planting a tree. How big is it going to get? And what is your primary consideration for planting a tree? Is it specimen, flowering, fall, color, or shade? How much of a nuisance will you tolerate? Probably a little? And do you want grass under the tree? That will detect what kind of tree you plant? Also, and how deep is it before you hit bedrock? When Fred yells Fred and Wilma, yeah, you might find about it. All these factors have to be considered, and also create a buffer zone of fifteen feet from the house and concrete to help you locate the tree. Also, don't forget drainage patterns. I see this an awful lot.
Speaker 1: There'll be this little.
Speaker 3: Solil coming along the side of the house and going through the front yard, and oh, I want to punt the tree in the middle of the front yard. Well, sometimes that coincides with your drainage patterns.
Speaker 1: It do. And typically our soil here is kind of shallow.
Speaker 3: We have some some stone rock down below, maybe a dusting up to two inches to a dusting of soil in the surface.
Speaker 2: Sometimes even a small planet just found its way into our.
Speaker 1: Dandali at funny to grow there.
Speaker 3: So what's going to happen is, especially with maple trees and the pinoaks, throot mass as it increases in volume is going to raise the soil level. And if you are in a drainage pattern like that, it will prevent that drainage pattern from functioning properly. And there are a lot of houses here in town where drainage patterns are really.
Speaker 1: What I would consider critical just a little.
Speaker 3: You might have a three in different I actually go back towards the house. She though, what what were they thinking?
Speaker 1: But get her done so we can go on to the next one.
Speaker 3: Gettle bud on the on the on the four boxes on the box blade or.
Speaker 1: My brother does home repairs.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so you want to make sure to watch your drainage patterns, and also when you're picking out a tree, consider but it drops also like your brad repairs, which they're kind of pass right now. But anyway, they had a problem with the seeds coming up everywhere and a shallow rits system and.
Speaker 1: And weak growth have its a lot of them break up in the.
Speaker 3: Winds and some one like that, and uh river birds or another real bad one.
Speaker 1: The plant in an.
Speaker 3: Area where there's either a shallow soil or a critical drainage, because the riot system on a river bridge is extraordinarily shallow. And that's an adaptive strategy on their part because they're indigenous to lowland areas in which the soil is somewhat anaerobic, so in order to compensate for that, they have developed a shallow root system.
Speaker 1: So the silver.
Speaker 3: Maple, which is another one you probably don't want to plant, or river bridge in certain areas you don't want to plant just because of that riot system problem. The surface roots on them, so keep that in mind. Also, deeper the tree would be golly swamp white oak. It sounds like plenty of well, I would want to plant a swamp we just called that. And they're really deeply rooted, and there's some some of the oaks are very deeper to too. I don't want to wait forever if I actually they grow faster than everything. Okay, So, and the red maples, the varieties of red maples, they're semi shallow rooted. I have a two in my front yard and yeah there's a couple of nipples above the ground, but it's not that bad.
Speaker 1: But a silver maple, know, they're a mess. So you're get points for tidiness.
Speaker 3: Yes, so just just kind of be careful where it's planted. And another thing you gotta watch out or buried utility as water lines and steward lines and so on, so if something should go wrong and be able to access it without damaging the true So don't you've got your water meter out here in the house over there. Typically the water meter line goes straight into the house, and a lot of builders actually put a faucet in the house where the water line comes in and that might be a clear indicator as to where.
Speaker 1: The water line is in the house. So keep that in mind. Also little water line keeping.
Speaker 3: And there are some some of the older houses they have iron water pipes and they're.
Speaker 1: Starting to rest here and there.
Speaker 3: Oh that's gonna be We we had a sprinker system.
Speaker 1: They're too far from the nursery.
Speaker 3: We did one downtown and in our digging, uh, we found the water line didn't break it, but it's all rusty, not good. I had to replace it. And I know in two instances in the last few years where doing all work we had to we advised the the customer to get a plumber out to live with this, and they replaced the water main coming into the house if it is iron, because they the iron pipe just doesn't last forever.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't a little oxidation and next thing you know, that life cycle.
Speaker 3: Is yeah, and then then if you plant a tree over that and five years later you get an underground water lake, Well the tree is gonna grow like crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, spinning, but there's nothing well it's going on there.
Speaker 3: So uh so make sure that your utility lines are clear and have them marked. I know they won't marked the waterline going into the house, but keep in mind the waterlines for the most part of perpendicular to the street into the house.
Speaker 2: You know what I've noticed, the ground is so hard. Those guys that come out and kind of flag your yard. When they throw those little flags down, they normally just stick right in the well.
Speaker 1: They're bouncing back and the.
Speaker 2: Guys are wearing goggles because they don't them comebackers are getting kind of home, just letting you know.
Speaker 1: They bring a drill to drill.
Speaker 3: So it's uh, that's one thing I want to mention is the location of the tree. And then trees that they can function.
Speaker 1: They can act as a screen.
Speaker 3: They can, for instance, had Victorian monstrosity the built behind your house. Plants something that screens that off a little bit, gives you some privacy.
Speaker 2: And someone, I mean, I don't have to look at the monsters if you.
Speaker 1: Well, when we moved into our house.
Speaker 3: Golly, twenty years ago, we had a very clear sight of the neighbor's house and we knew what brand of sausages they cooked in the morning.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's that close. Now you can't see it. That's good.
Speaker 3: We put in holly plants and cherry laurels and a deciduous holly which is absolutely gorgeous of the winter, and you can't see the house anymore. Screened it off. Good, it's the buffer zone. Not quite as white as this room.
Speaker 1: For that's still but then it works. Then I was digging a hole in the ground and clunk.
Speaker 3: Have a difficult time putting in plant pancies even Oh wow, so I've built some raised beds. Oh yeah, burned it up a little bit and everything's fine. Get a whole new source of moisture there. So yeah, so you can't. And there are different species of plants that don't get so big that actors good screen plants.
Speaker 1: Name a few. The burning bush is one, it's pretty too, yeah, and New R.
Speaker 3: Stevens holly, yeah, is one, and the foster holly gets rather large, but it does make a good screen plant. Yopan holly's and deciduous holley. I use those lot for screen plants and so on.
Speaker 1: And actually I have a Japanese.
Speaker 3: Maple that there's also used as the screen. Just a different composition of different plants. It's not just a row of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mean you got a you've got a nice little palette.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the composition and then the edge of it goes in and out a little bit, so it's not just a straight line.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of interesting. What are your yards always on the tour?
Speaker 10: This?
Speaker 1: You got stuff in it?
Speaker 3: And there's a rather noisy waterfall in it too, well, not very big, it's just that's so big.
Speaker 2: Hey, did they come and hassle you when we were in a drought because you had a waterfall?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't think really. The water staste in it is recycled in it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, so make sure you didn't get that big old plastic citations now, No, okay, it's good.
Speaker 1: And now I'm resting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got a rather ugly yellow yard right now.
Speaker 1: Mind turning into a blond as well.
Speaker 2: Let's take a break. We'll be right back after this four minute time out. Is that for a minute?
Speaker 7: Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses is at it again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start planting pansies and ornamental kale.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: It's also time to think ahead by sowing your fescu seed for a beautiful lawn next year. Green Thumb has five star glend fescue seed in right now. It's never too late in the season to plant trees and shrubs, and Green Tham has some new shipments in Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road, open Monday through Saturday, nine to five Sunday.
Speaker 5: Even Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 11: There's a dead tree buy my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 5: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 9: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 11: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 9: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 6: Remember when your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite.
Speaker 5: And as little kids, we thought that was funny.
Speaker 6: Well, if you've ever had bed bugs, you'll know it's not funny. And Accent Pest Control knows that bed bugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects and they're a nightmare to deal with. Bed Bugs cree quite a nuisance. I can stow away in luggage and end up.
Speaker 5: Infesting your home.
Speaker 6: If you think you might have bedbug, call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine forty two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 12: As Oklahoma grows, we want to grow with it, and serving part time in the Oklahoma Army National Guard is perfect for that.
Speaker 5: Our service provides money for school so we can be ready for a new career.
Speaker 12: Or improve our current one. We learn valuable teamwork skills and get hands on with some of the latest tech.
Speaker 5: And we also help the communities we.
Speaker 13: Live and recover whenever they are in need.
Speaker 12: Our service is helping to keep Oklahoma and ourselves moving forward. Learn more at Nationalguard dot com slash.
Speaker 6: Ok spotored by the Oklahoma Army National Guard, aired by the Oklahoma Association of Badcasters.
Speaker 5: In this station, Extinction is Forever.
Speaker 14: To save America's most iconic and imperiled species from extinction, we must fight for their future, fight to save the natural lands that wildlife call home, fight to limit pollution, fight for smart development, fight for their future, and fight for ours. For so goes nature, so goes us.
Speaker 10: At a time when misinformation is all too common on social media, Yeah, we take great pride in bringing you the news that matters, that impacts your family.
Speaker 5: News you can trust.
Speaker 10: Local broadcast journalists bring you the facts covering the stories breaking in our community.
Speaker 5: And across the globe.
Speaker 10: Text TV to five two eight eight six and let Congress know you depend on local journalists. This message furnished by the National Association of Broadcasters.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to the Green Country Gardner program. We're playing our upa music and you know in the hot October fast and everything else like that. You know that is the German version of Sweet Home, Alabama.
Speaker 1: Only sweet Home doosel door well, it could be.
Speaker 3: Trade the week is the weeping effectum Japanese maple.
Speaker 1: This is a very popular plan.
Speaker 3: Use a lot by the front door, bravs into the house and it gives about six feet toll and wide, and eventually it's an excellent and prize specimen in the landscape. It prefers parts son and good drainage, good soil, fertility and frequent proper watering is the key to success on this one. Colors are from green to maroon, and color good excellent spring and fall color. And most people find this one too closed to the house. Give it lots the room. I like to plant it five feet away from the sidewalk when you first get it. And these little things when we see like be all lonely and buy itself out there.
Speaker 1: But eventually it.
Speaker 3: Will grow if it gets this wide, because you know six feet you get up to eight feet wide depending on the situation. So five feet away from a structure or like that.
Speaker 1: Will be fine.
Speaker 3: Now you can plant other things around it, like some annuals and perennials, or even use some boulders around it to kind of tie in to the landscape a little bit, and it can look when it's shunk, it looked pretty cool.
Speaker 1: And as it grows it can kind of move yourself a little bit there you go. But give it, give it some room, as so many people don't, and it's just packed in. They're so tight.
Speaker 3: When they get big, they don't they're not pretty anymore. So that's kind of why we want to give it some room to grow. And it does like good drainage, of course, and parts son parts son parts son parts son not necessarily mean the west side of the house is shielded for in the morning, but it's a good idea to have maybe some other trees around it or perraps, say the house on the other side, and.
Speaker 1: For planet on the east side of the house. It probably do very well. Okay.
Speaker 3: One problem that has in a lot of sun is not necessarily a disease or boards or any things, but it's sun scorch. And this happens in the winter when it's you know, about four hundred degrees below zero.
Speaker 1: We're talking, can you be raised effect this well it was.
Speaker 3: It's a heat issue, really, And what happens is the frozen stuff in there falls out real quick and it breaks the cellular tissues and the top half of the branch is dead, but the bottom half is alive.
Speaker 1: And it's called the scorch.
Speaker 3: And it's from a sudden temperature change. So, and that happens rather frequently.
Speaker 5: We have a.
Speaker 3: Right after a real cold night, the sun comes up in the morning and shines on.
Speaker 1: It and because of the sun scorts.
Speaker 3: So it's not necessarily what happens in the summer is what happens in the winter. And really if it gets too severe and really dammaged the slamp. So if a tree is properly watered, you know, not excessively, but properly well once a week or so, even in the winter time, if it's properly watered, it should resist the sunsquorts pretty well. Okay, So it's the excellent trees that have in the landscape. Don't plant it in the clay. They do like a really good soil. Do big preparation for this plant because they are expensive.
Speaker 1: You can spend it.
Speaker 3: You can spend it for three hundred and four hundred dollars for these plants. Yeah, and you just don't want to dump into the clay. You get the tailor out or even high it done to be planted just so we get a nice big.
Speaker 1: Hole so you can adapt real well to your soil.
Speaker 3: Lots of compost too, and it's very very important to keep your some molted in the winter to try to equalize the temperature and the moisture content and the soil.
Speaker 1: For it too.
Speaker 3: So with a few just very simple rules, you can have a really attractive aceer palmatum. Dissect them that too as a specimen interest plant. Now, if you let them go on their own, they look a bit like a mop.
Speaker 1: They just kind of everybody have the big names in the mop. Well you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looks this weeping habit. So I like to trim it up a little bit so you can kind of see some of the branching structure in there, as well as having some of my branches on it too. So very careful pruning of it can make it really attractive. It's not just a mop. And when you travel on you don't just cut it like with shears. You take the branch that is too long and cut it back inside, effectively thinning it out a little bit.
Speaker 1: And you can do.
Speaker 3: That with some others so it doesn't look like it's just been sheared souse. That causes a lot of times the case of the uglies. And then you get this rather knobby licking growth at the tips and just yeah, yeah, it's funny. The weeping Japanese maple. That's the tree of the week. It's related to the Japanese maple, which gets about twenty by twenty feet. And there are several color variations of this one too. A lot of them are grafted. They'll put a green jack maple rootstock on it, the Japanese maple rootstock green. And now then you'll get this little green thing coming up. They just want to cut that off, okay, so and then the Japanese upright, the regular fad, the blood good.
Speaker 1: Japanese map very popular one.
Speaker 3: Excellent color, good fall color spring emerges this brilliant reddish colored leaves in the spring, really nice and it gets.
Speaker 1: Rather large, so be careful.
Speaker 3: Also, I see a lot of them planted a foot away from the house.
Speaker 1: Oh, that'll be trouble in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you want to compose your landscape to accommodate the proper size of the street, and also keep it away from the sidewalks because you'll be ducking down to get into the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: About a sidewalk about ten feet away in the house, about ten feet away should do. Okay, Okay, it looked lonely at first, he said, yeah, this thing is so far away from the house to do well.
Speaker 1: In about four or five years.
Speaker 2: It'll start like girl, and you'll say, you see the tree, how big it's grown, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: And it'll grow and it'll grow into the the landscape composition. So you've got to kind of look at that. And that's the one thing we do is on the landscape plane, is we do so what it would look like where it's planted in the house. And you don't never see me put the twenty foot white Japanese maple two feet away from that.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's.
Speaker 3: Not difficult if you do want something purple and kind of small. There's uh the barbary. The red barbery comes in into war Crimson, Pygmy and regular standard barberies. There's also nine bark. I've used some nine bark in the landscape. They're kind of interesting. They grow a little bit wild. In other words, they are somewhat untamed if you and they have kind of a semi weeping habit and then they have white flowers on them. They're kind of but the important thing is to keep after them and trim them back a little bit now and then they look really nice. But it doesn't have a smaller plant, you know. It doesn't have the overgrowth problems that say Japanese maple has, So if you really want something purple like that, you might consider an alternative species rather than the Japanese maple. There are also some crape myrtles that have purple leaves on them too, and the red flowers are really quite nice. So if you want something purple close to the house in the sun, you might consider maybe a nine bark or a crimson barberry, which has thorns on it.
Speaker 1: But they're not that bad. Of course, I'm old and tough. I guess they don't just reach in there and grab them, you know.
Speaker 3: And the red leaked crape myrtle, there are a lot of varieties out there. They have red leaves on them, purple really kind of purple leaves really so you can have that leaf color without having to get.
Speaker 1: Something to get twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good option. We're gonna have to take a break. We'll be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 5: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 11: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 5: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 9: It's nine one eight day three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 11: Calling today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 9: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 6: Enjoy Marketing KY one, ky FM, k Riggan, KPGM looking for account executives to join our team. This position is for outside sales offering radio, outdoor in digital advertising in Partlesville and across northeastern Oklahoma to southeast Cansas. You'll start with a guaranteed salary leading to commissions with including profit sharing. You can pick up an application at our office twelve hundred Southeast Franklin Boulevard, or download an application at Bartlesville Radio dot com and click on employment Opportunity, Equal Opportunity Employer.
Speaker 4: This is Kat Human from Gateway First Bank in Bartlesville. Exciting news. Our CD rates are hotter than ever. Right now you can lock in a fantastic four point eighty five percent apy on a seventh month CD. Yes you heard that right, four point eighty five percent annual percentage yield for seven months.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 4: To grow your savings, apply online at Gateway First dot com or visit us at our Bartible branch located at four to two to two South Dewey Avenue. We're here to help you secure a brighter financial future. Some restrictions apply. A five hundred minimum balance is required and this offer is are available for a new CD deposits only Gateway First Bank number FD.
Speaker 13: I See what's it take to be a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. It takes thirty minutes and a cup of coffee a video game fest two out of three.
Speaker 5: It takes sharing.
Speaker 13: Thumbs up emojis, clapping emojis, and low did not shows that halftime. That's how you make an impact on a young kid's life. So go on share a few hours a month. Because mentorship may sound huge, but the truth is it takes little to be big. To learn more, volunteer or donate.
Speaker 5: Go to Bigoklahoma dot org.
Speaker 1: Instead.
Speaker 2: Look substand look substad look subs still look suck guest. Oh, yes, it's our Octoberfest music right here on Green Country Gardener Program Special feature October only because that's when it's festive October. What ain't Heveren seven four ninety three six. That is our total free number to get a hold of blurry Glass or expert Larry.
Speaker 1: What do we have next on the agenda?
Speaker 3: Well, the homemybirds and marnocks are migrating or half migrated at this point. We don't notice very many of them in our backyard now, so I think they're heading on the south.
Speaker 1: You got a few stragglers. Oh yeah, they're like, I'm not packed yet.
Speaker 3: They're not attacking my lantana's anymore. Oh so I guess they're they're they're kind of flown away. But at this point in time, they know when to go and they will abandon the feeders at the right time. So you might want to pick up some some of migrating birds from northern place or whatever.
Speaker 1: I want to quit feeding them, That's what I want to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the third week in September, so plant Sabbia lantana, minarda, honeysuckle, Petunia penta, and other flowers for nexture, for these plants, for these birds fall. So that's kind of kind of the deal. With the homing birds. I think they're back going into monarchs. Well, see a few of them around, but for the most part they're they're heading head.
Speaker 5: And known down souths.
Speaker 1: They need a good north wind. I guess, Hey, Larry, have you seen any cicadas lately? No, I haven't seen the one. We've heard a few of them, Yeah, you of them around, but not so many of them.
Speaker 3: This is a phenomenon that apparently has occurred further east of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, much further. I think it's because our grounds are hard. They just they just said, forget it, man it out.
Speaker 5: Of here, this whole.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: Now, I don't know, maybe their their cycle is offset perhaps over here over some others too.
Speaker 1: It's you know, it's nature. There's going to be regional differences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I do you know that in like southern Illinois. It was getting loud with cicadas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, folks were complaining, Oh I could hear it tonight all the way from kro Oh yeah, Champagne or Banna sham banna all the way from Champagne, Illinois, or the cicadas. But anyway, so I don't people ask me have you seen the cicadas?
Speaker 1: As not very many.
Speaker 3: Somebody sent me a picture on the phone and said, what is this and he said it looks like I didn't have the glasses on. I thought it was mushrooms. Put glasses on it. Texted and back and for those are cata. So but we were always going to get some, but this year apparently we're in an off cycle. Next year they'll get ready, probably beating the labels off your popcins. So anyway, we talked about the difectum. Let's talk about our shoub of the week, and that's iliagonous. Sounds like as cousin, sounds like the sitcom from the sixties, Yeah, i Agnus and Gustafolio. The iliagonous uh is a rapid growing shrub used parm primarily for screens and hedges, also called fragrant tli. It's a very strong sweet smell to it in the in the string when it blooms. So it's it's a This is this very aggressive growing plant and it gets rather tall. And I tell people if they want, if you want to one is a hedgerow. We'll just leave the hedge clippers outside. You'll have to trim it again everyday. Yeah, this plant room. It's a very good screen plant. I personally don't like this plant because it does kind of come up all over the place, and it does rather aggressive, and it takes up a lot of room. Really, and if you've got a lot of room and you want a screen plant, the illeagnous is a really tough plant.
Speaker 1: Doesn't have very many pests. Everything else too.
Speaker 3: Twelve feet wide and tall, it's evergreen, has very huge, few pests, but wash the boards. It can get necrosis on it as he gets older.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not a long lasting plant. You probably get twenty.
Speaker 3: Years out of it, start to fall apart, kind of like Manhattan Wantamus. It's another screen plant you can use, but it does grow fairly aggressively. So if you do have something you want to block and something click, you might consider an illeagnius incidfolio there's a compact compact by the idea of that which shares the same attributes. But I think it's I think it's big, but it really isn't. So it can be used also in that but for a low screen if you will. But keep this one away from from the house because it does get so large and it will become a nuisance over time. But if you've got something, if you really want to block the roadway or something on the end of your property, it'll be a good one for that. Okay, be prepared for the birds kind of like it too.
Speaker 1: They kind of hide it a little bit too.
Speaker 3: So anyway, house plants at the nursery, we have a greenhouse full of house plants right now, so you might check out our plants.
Speaker 1: House plants tropical, tropical, tropical. So okay, let's see.
Speaker 3: We talked about lawns, talk about trees, a little bit about shrubs, annuals. It is possible to have color all year along with the proper planting of annuals. In other words, say you've got a whole bunch of really nice pair of winkles and you want to plant some pansies, Well, don't take all the pair of winkles out.
Speaker 1: Just take some of them out to put some panties in.
Speaker 3: Between, and then when we have a freeze, there's still be time to plant some pansies or they will grow together. Kind of nice, but you might want to plant it out on your annual beds. I have a room for some fall type annuals in addition to the summer type angles as time goes on too. Okay, perennials repeat every year, but bloom only at certain times. So keep in mind when you're picking up perennials. The timetable windows is bloom. Do we want to plant something next fit the blooms? Maybe a month later, something move later, a month earlier or whatever, so you can get a constant show.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, the scabiosa plant is a perennial that or yeah, that blooms all summer long. And the bloom flower platygoldens they bloom about all summer long too. But most of your perennials simply just don't bloom the entire summer long. So you want to plan your your perennial beds not only a vertical but also on the fourth dimension.
Speaker 1: Okay, when they're going to be interesting, cone flowers.
Speaker 3: There is another one. They had a fairly long bloom period. But uh, it's finite, like a lot of your perennials are too. So consider that when doing a perennial bed or picking up some perennials, which one is going to be blooming when and what kind of colors show they're going to have. You might even have room in there for some annuals to bridge the gaps and colors on pernials too.
Speaker 1: There you go, it's good thinking.
Speaker 3: The perennial antenna is another one bloom for a long time.
Speaker 1: How many birds and butterflies really like it? Right? So you know what, get a professionals look at it. That's something that you do.
Speaker 2: You got that handy dandy little piece of machinery that you use along with that big old noggin of yours, that college of knowledge that you can actually put something on somebody's a texto grammar or something like that, or email.
Speaker 3: I send out that, even even in on this phone thing here, I send out a lot of texts on some designs.
Speaker 1: And people say, wow, my house, my yard can look like that.
Speaker 3: I have a well, I can convert a section or the entire plan to them to an image file and then bluetooth it to my cell phone and shoot it to them.
Speaker 1: They kind of like that, get it.
Speaker 3: I think texting is starting to take over email.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it is. It is. And I even send out invoices on the on the text. How do you like that?
Speaker 3: Well, they get it right away, they do. And a lot of times it's just okay, it's come right on and pay it. Yeah, whit around, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So much for that. People like to open the letters and keep it in their hands. I don't to hear that.
Speaker 3: It's just beeping on my phone during our conversation. I've gotten several text text messages.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't say anything. We're going to take a quick break. We've got a four minute timeout.
Speaker 15: The original Waldorf Astoria Hotel on Fifth Avenue in New York City was built in eighteen ninety three. Constructed in the German Renaissance style, the hotel had four hundred and fifty guest rooms and another one hundred rooms for staff and servants. After merging with their next door neighbor, the Astoria Hotel, in eighteen ninety seven, the hotel had one thousand, three hundred rooms, making it the largest hotel in the world at the time. The Empire Room at the hotel was the largest and most lavishly decorated room in the Waldorf and quickly became one of the finest restaurants in New York City.
Speaker 5: From the beginning, the.
Speaker 15: Waldorf was the must stay place for foreign dignitaries from around the world. Some of those guests were the leaders of China, the Princess Iam, the Grand Duchess of Russia, and many others. Andrew Carnegie was a regular guest at the hotel.
Speaker 1: The Waldorf Astoria.
Speaker 15: Barr became a favorite haunt from many of the financial elites such as Diamond Jim Brady, Buffalo, Bill Cody, and Bat Masterson. In short, anyone who was anyone in the world of politics, society, business or entertainment wanted to be seen at the Waldorf. It truly was the world's hotel. Following the tragic sinking of the Titanic, the Waldorf Hotel was the official site for the inquiry that was performed by the United States Senate into the disaster. With this backdrop, our very own Frank Phillips was a major player at the Waldorf. In nineteen twenty nine, a private corporation was formed by Uncle Frank, and he became part owner of the Waldorf.
Speaker 1: Later that year, they sold the.
Speaker 15: Buildings and the land to a corporation named Empire State, Inc. Their plan was to demolish the hotel, which they did and build the Empire State Building in that location in July of nineteen twenty nine. Prior to the demolition, Frank Phillips inspected the hotel and paid particular attention to four handsome chandeliers which hung in the tap room of the hotel. When the hotel was gutted in preparation for the demolition, Frank was given those ornate lights. He promptly shipped them to Oklahoma and had them hung in the great living room of the Wollarock Lodge, where they illuminated family gatherings, business meetings, cocktail parties, poker games, and many other social events. Whenever asked by guests about the lights, Frank liked a joke and say they were all that he got out of his investment, calling them his million dollar chandeliers and declaring them the most expensive in the country. The Magic of New York City and the Waldorf Astoria from eighteen ninety three is still part of the lodge today and the wonderful history of Wollarock. That same magic still exists. Welcome home to Wallarock.
Speaker 16: What happens when a healthcare system truly listens. Haling happens, hope happens, Good health happens.
Speaker 5: At Ascension.
Speaker 16: We know because we listen to you to better understand you. Then our network of doctors, nurses and care teams at Saint John deliver a personalized healthcare experience that's right for you.
Speaker 4: And your family.
Speaker 16: Find the care you need at Stjohnhealthsystem dot com.
Speaker 17: Jane Phillips in Bartlesville, Hi Magnetics here from Romans Outdoor Power. Cover more ground with the fast, durable Cabota Sidekick, featuring a gas powered engine that delivers a top speed at forty miles per hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo in the street to haul whatever needs hauling, all back by a two year, one thousand hour warning. Get zero percent for thirty six months or one point nine to nine for forty eight months now through twelve thirty one twenty twenty four. See yes, or go to CABOTAUSA dot com for more information. Get more done right with the Cabota sidekick Roman's Outdoor Power, your local Combota dealer Highway seventy five at Bartlesville. Independents are online, it'll kick about to dot com.
Speaker 1: Alrighty, there we go.
Speaker 2: October Fest is underway here at the Green Country Gardener Program and your calls are welcome. One one hundred and seven six Larry Classes are expert.
Speaker 1: Which the roses the cooler weather.
Speaker 3: I think this week you're calling person, You guys are going to finally let it cool down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna get down to about fifty nine tonight, forty four tomorrow night and mid.
Speaker 3: Forties yeah, and in the eighties. Yeah, let's gonna get the seventies. Come on, well, that would be November.
Speaker 1: The electric Company's eleven. Oh you put how are they anyway? Roses?
Speaker 3: The cooler weather will make somewhat of a comeback on the roses. Let's us spread too, less fungus problems and so on with roses. Also, most people have a knockout.
Speaker 1: Roses or some derivative thereof.
Speaker 3: And actually, what I like to do with my knockouts is cut them back after they had their big bloom thing in the in the spring and you know, throughout the midsummer, give them a good cutback, and in the fall they really come back nicely.
Speaker 1: Just some time for them to bloomer and I feed and Thanksgiving they're really coming back yet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, give mayorkat. But the knockouts a little different than other roses. It's it's not a grafted rose. It's true to form from top to bottom. And they they're very tough, very tough plants. Yeah, I think the rosette disease has kind of come and gone.
Speaker 1: I don't see very much of it anymore. It sure twisted them up pretty good. Yeah, I did.
Speaker 3: We do have a few knockouts at the nursery, and they're they're kind of slow sellers right now, but I think they'll people get back.
Speaker 1: Into it when when the said epidemic is over with. Yeah. Anyway, keep your shovel sharp, come out the nursery and see what we got and see what's new.
Speaker 3: We had all kinds of cool stuff for look yet and golly Tom times up.
Speaker 1: Keep that shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 2: All right, you've been listening to the Green Country Gardener program, Stay tuned. We've got news coming up.
Speaker 5: Next residential and commercial plumbing col Mason's Plumbing.
Speaker 1: We're serving you with the their priority.
Speaker 5: KWN Partilesville, K two