Speaker 1: And good morning. Welcome to another edition of Community Connection here on K one AM fourteen hundred at them ninety three point three and ninety five point one on this Wednesday afternoon or morning. I said afternoon, look at that. I'm already looking towards the afternoon. I'm Nathan Thompson, and we've got a great program today. We have Amy in from Allie and talking about all the great things that Allie does in our community and in our area. Good morning, Amy, how are you?
Speaker 2: Good morning? I am just fine, Thank you?
Speaker 1: Well good, I'm glad to hear that. And unfortunately we are not able to stream on our normal face book channel because Facebook is actually down right now, can you believe it? And kwintv dot com is also not working. Maybe it's just me who knows.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure you shouldn't take it personally.
Speaker 1: Well, First of all, Amy, tell us what Alie is all about.
Speaker 2: Well, Ollie is a social and educational program for the target audience's fifty plus. We may be retired, but we're not retired from learning, and certainly like to socialize with each other and meet new people and all of that. I can read the Osher Lifeline Learning Institute at Oklahoma State University. We are sponsored by OSU, keep seniors act even social, and then we're geared toward the fifty plus and we have courses in travel and social, all kinds. We touch all kinds of subjects, hands on things, equal things that just apply to our everyday life.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, and as always, great things going on at ALI. I do know that. And you're going enough for your fall sessions coming up here as well, right.
Speaker 2: Starting at September sixteenth. Now, now the first part in September, they're going to be online classes. This is about the only thing I can think of good that came out of COVID was we had these online classes on the back burner, right, and then they were forced to bring him forward. So now we can offer that too. And if we don't have an if we have any spaces and need for our in house speakers, then we can stream in other class. Plus we can get a higher quality. Bartlesville has many, many retired professionals that could do these classes, absolutely, but getting them to sit still long enough.
Speaker 1: It's like a room full of kids. Getting these retirings to sit still.
Speaker 2: They're busy. Oh, I'm going to go to new rope or I'm going to do this. But anyway, these still Water, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City, they all had colleges, so they still got some retired professors in town. So they're really lucky because professors do kind of like to get back in the classroom, especially to an audience that appreciate they want to be there and they appreciate what the subject is. But anyway, we're really lucky. And now this semester we're doing something a little bit different. We are partnering, if you will, with the West Side Community Center.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: CHAVN is working very hard to build up their programs there, just as we are with Ali and so I'm really looking forward to working with her, and that's where all the classes are going to be. The library has served us very very well. Their class staff, you just can't ask for more helpful people like we need. Did a lot of technology help, don't be all and then they were always right there. But anyway, we're going to try the West Side Community Center. They've got a lovely place out there and really really set up for what we're doing. But I have a one of our most popular classes is a Bartlesville town Hall and what I do is find speakers for organizations, businesses, venues, those sorts of things that people that affect our everyday life. They're probably make Bartlesville what it is. So and this is free to anyone that wants to do. This is a membership. You have to be a member to take the classes and there's a two hundred dollars charge for the whole year. That would be three semesters, and you could take any of the classes that you want. If there's a class that requires supplies, such as the wine tasting, then there's an additional charge and then or there's a forty dollars membership, but you would need to pay for each class. So we try to make it affordable to everybody. But the town hall is free, so anybody can come.
Speaker 1: That's great, And I've.
Speaker 2: Got lined up Kendall Hughes comes in from Minnesota I think it is, anyways out of state, and he's going to talk about rehabilitating people who have come by a lot of hardships, imprisonment, drugs, and those sorts of things. And he's going to come in and talk about that and Dennis Logan.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite people in the world. By the way, Dennis if you're listening, I need to come by and see it. It's a Wednesday. I might go to Kawanas. We'll talk. I know Dennis Logan, I've known him for years. He's a great one. He and Judy both.
Speaker 2: Love him too. We go to the same church. So he was handy to grab, of course. But he was telling me he had some pretty they're famous, but I don't know about their names. Like when Paul Rabier did his ride, he had a relative that did too. His name just isn't in the history book. So these sorts of things. But he's going to talk about that. But he's also going to do I have this travel series going and he's gonna talk about their trip Nordic Cruise. I'll get to the travel in a minute. Yes, And then we have well Kyle Pool was going to but he's you know, he's a busy man. We're gonna have somebody else and I don't have that name, but anyway, he's going to talk about whoever is. It's going to talk about Track County Tech and that's uh. I think that's more people need to know about that and what they have to offer. So that's good. Then we have Keith McPhail man. Everybody knows about him, everybody loves the magazine and I'm so anxious for him to get in there and talk to us about it. Do we have Liz Nelson. I don't know if a lot of people know her. She was in the Killers of the Flower Moon and also I found out that she did work for them for Our Time for the Voice of the Martyrs in Africa. And I'm not sure just which one or both she's going to talk about, but anyway, and that's up to her.
Speaker 1: That will certainly be an interesting one. And these these free town halls we're talking about, these are the ones who will begin in October.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, These our in house classes start October first, and that's on her Tuesday with the town hall. Then we have on Wednesdays, well, oh, I'll go to the arm Armchair travels around the world. Like I said, our members are just they're always they keep their suitcases. All they got to do is put in the last minute things. So I have n't asked them to talk about some of their trips. And Lynz Prindergrass is going to talk about.
Speaker 1: You just know all these great people that I know. Lynz Pendergrass as well another fellow Kwanian, hey z.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's going to talk about their trip to Africa and then in July they went to Japan. Now these these are going to be separate ones because all the people that ask a lot of questions. Of course, so I think many times the speaker leaves with more information than he came because there's a lot of history in that room. But that's those are the two classic two that he's going to talk about. And then Dennis the Nordic Cruz, and we have Gary Neil. I abused him, So I don't know what all's up in that head, but I'm trying to find.
Speaker 1: Out unexplored territories going on.
Speaker 2: He's a retired NASA engineer, so he's done a lot on engineer and astronomy and all that. But he did a an eclipse trip in Indonesia and he's gonna talk about that and buring pictures. This has been some time ago, but still it's it's really really interesting. And then we have Joe Todd. Of course everybody knows.
Speaker 1: Joe Joe as well. Yeah, well, great historian.
Speaker 2: Yes, his subjects are Greece and Egypt. Interesting so and and each one of these are separate classes, so he can answer a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: And those those the armchair travels around the world. Even though they're being held on the same days as the free town Halls, there isn't additional cost for those, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay. The town halls are from ten to twelve in the morning, and then the afternoon classes are from one thirty to three thirty or whenever they could ask the questions.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's great, that's great.
Speaker 2: And then we have on Wednesdays, we've got we like to show movies and have the history about them. So the subject this time is Audrey Hepburn. Oh yes, and that's there's gonna be five weeks to that, and of course there's a charge for that one. And that's in the mornings. Then in the afternoon we have Catherine Powell, who is does wine tasting.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, oh you go.
Speaker 2: There aren't very many female Somalia, that's very true, and she's she's one of them. She's very good. She this will be her third wine tasting class. They just keep saying, okay, we got to do this some more. Yes, absolutely, we thought the two were going to do it, and then they didn't know we want some more, she says, Okay, I do that. So and that will be at Saint Luke's so because they've got all the equipment there and it's it's easier there. Yes, but everything else will be at West Side and then we're gonna have You have a lot of I think everybody has a bunch of photos and things that need organization but just never have time for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You should look at one of my closets. It's it's chuck full of photos.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, mine too. I downsized when I moved down here, and yeah, and I want to divide them up and give them to my grandkids and whatever. But I guess they'll still be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually still have at my parents' house too, so oh I know.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh boy. And let's see we have we were supposed to have our catalogs by now, but we don't. And so I'm just kind of working my way through this. But you can go online to allie. It's uh, let me give that exact thing, okay state yea yeah.
Speaker 1: And OLLI dot okay state dot e d U. There you go.
Speaker 2: You can go online. You can pull it up.
Speaker 1: Thank you, You're welcome. You can we're a team here. We're a team.
Speaker 2: Yes, I get to talking and I get the rambling. But anyway, you can go online and find the classes. You can also register and uh Facebook, we tried to put pictures on there what's going. In fact, you find Lins on there at the wine tasting and taking the sword and whacking the lit up the bottle.
Speaker 1: That's I wonder what Gaale thinks about that.
Speaker 2: Oh she just stood there and enjoyed.
Speaker 1: It. Sounds about right, sounds about right? Yes, yes, so Lynton Gale, if your ears are burning, yes, I'm talking about you.
Speaker 2: And I want to say We're having an open house Thursday the fifth. That's next Thursday, from ten to twelve at the West Side Community Center. So come out some of the speakers, those that can, We'll be there to meet you and talk to you and answer any questions you have. And our director, Robin Davis will be there. But we're there for just to help people get signed up and answer questions and whatever. And also I'm gonna have well, Shawan and I are going to have a booth out at the Washington County Fair Grant.
Speaker 1: Oh great, yeah, that's coming up too.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah, in fact, it starts the day we have our open house. Get busy, so we have to do a little people struggling there. Yeah yeah, and I need to be in both places. But of course, well, of course you.
Speaker 1: Can only do what you can't do, Amy, I tell you.
Speaker 2: Remember, I'm in this upper echelon of age group and people. So but anyway, I love doing this and I love being out the fair meeting people. But if you can't make it to the open house, drop by our booth at the at the fair grounds. There you go, man, and everybody should should join us because it will just put a lot more quality in your life learning and meeting people. Because these people are are just great. They're they're full of energy.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes they are. I mean, just just naming the people you've named today, I don't know, I know almost all of them. And you're right, always full of energy, never stopping, never stop learning as well. And that's what Olie really is all about.
Speaker 2: It. It is right, it is lifelong learn, lifelong learning.
Speaker 1: All right, that's right. So again, if you are looking for descriptions of these different town halls and forums and activities that Ali does, you can go to Ali dot ok State dot edu for all those descriptions as well as to register against Some of these items are free, but you still need to register.
Speaker 2: Right Amy, You always need to register.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that way they know, you know, kind of get prepared for those town halls again in the months of September. You've got some of the online things going on, getting ready for what we got. I think this first one was a pundit's polls and politics. Oh boy, it's probably better that that one is online. There you go. That will be on Thursday, September the seventeenth, and then the History of Rock, I mean, just all kinds of things. Go to ALI dot Okay State dot edu for those descriptions as well as to register. Amy Finny, the Bartlesville ALI site coordinator, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Oh my pleasure. I always enjoy coming and talking about Olie.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys always do a great job.
Speaker 2: Thank you. We tried to do our best.
Speaker 1: There you go, There you go, all right, Amy Finny with Bartlesville Alie on Ocher Learning. What is my long Learning Institute? Yes, there you go through Oklahoma State.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, something's going Alie with my brain right now? All right.
Speaker 2: I think maybe some people when I say, Ali, they think of Olie's out here, Absolutely absolutely no, We're totally different.
Speaker 1: Perfect Amy Finny with Olie. Thank you so much for joining us with our community connection today.
Speaker 2: Always glad to talk about Olie.
Speaker 1: Absolutely all right, Our morning market report is next