Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now, here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started.
Speaker 3: Hour number two here on a Tuesday afternoon, a game day edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Louisville and Bellerman tonight seven o'clock tip. I believe it's a seven o'clock tip. I just assumed that it was. Yeah, it is just making sure and it'll be on the ACC Network Extra, which means you will have to rely on the ESPN app. And if you have television, I mean, I hate at one point we do need to get the like when you say watching TV, I still think, like, yeah, I'm watching something on my television. It doesn't necessarily it could be you know, it could be cable, it could be streaming. I mean I don't have cable, but you know this game is on television because it will be easy to watch on your television, but it'll be streaming. And yes, I will have to get out of YouTube TV on my TV rather. You know, I've got a Roku, I've got a Smart TV. So I think we're going to watch it in the basement, so I'll be using my smart TV. Therefore, I will probably at the time have it on YouTube TV, probably have it on you know, Sports Center or something like that. And then at seven o'clock, I will go back to the home screen of my smart TV and I will click on the ESPN app that's right there, and then I'll log in with my YouTube TV account because that's where I access ESPN's family of stations, and then there I can watch it. So, yeah, there's more work to be done than if you were just channel surpent essentially, but because I'm a court cutter and I have YouTube TV, I'm quite literally watching it the same exact way. It's just on a different app. How many different apps do you, guys bounce around on your phone every day? So I still sense some resistance to people that, you know, think that they're having to do a lot of extra work here to watch this game, when like, no, I'm not going to pick on him because I love him and he's my father, but my dad, like he's yet to watch any Louisville game this year, and he'd hate that I'm calling him out right now. I feel bad, but I've already done it dead. We can't hit the dumb button now. I mean he's kept up with it, but like he's and he's I think he's gone to some of them with with with with my uncle Wayne. But he acts as if like, well, okay, oh it's on ESPN Plus. Well, you know, I mean, maybe maybe I'll find a way to it. Maybe, you know, maybe I'll maybe I'll download it or something. I mean he's not, you know, technologically illiterate, but like I just want to scream at him, Dad, you would be watching this the same exact way if it was on ESPN or ESPN two or ACC Network that's not extra, ACC Network regular, Like it's the same you know, you're it's the same thing. You just have to go to a different app. Now the log in info that can be a pain in the rear. And to be honest with you, like here I am telling people that they should realize it's not that difficult. And really, more than anything, it's because this is just this is where it's going. I mean, we're gonna have a football game in the NFL on Netflix only on Christmas Day. I was looking for a college basketball game the other day, and I know that there's all kinds of different streaming apps that are getting exclusive rights to broadcast a lot of games rather be football, basketball, whatever. But like I never thought to look at Peacock, but there it was, and it was it was you know, once I got there, it was easy to watch. So you know, ESPN plus, I mean, I think it's actually a pretty wonky platform that is that doesn't work the way that it should. But nonetheless, like the way you know, that's ESPN's fault, not like the streaming world's fault, meaning like this. But again, even if I hated it like it like some people do, it's not going anywhere. This is how we're gonna watch games for the rest of time I'm probably, or at least for the foreseeable future. So yes, it's on a different app. But like if you already watch your live TV on like I'm just trying to we'll move on in just a second. But I'm trying to think of those that would be unable to watch, and I'm sure there are some out there. I don't feel like everybody has cut the cord. But put it this way, if you've got a TV that is a smart TV, and I don't really know when smart TVs came out, but they've been around for a little while now. And when I say smart TV, maybe our definitions are different. But I'm thinking of a TV that when you turn it on, like you can go to an app and you can download an app. Now, before I had a smart TV, we used Roku. In fact, I've used Roku, which is an external device. I'm assuming everybody knows what a Roku is, but I don't know, maybe you don't, But a Roku is a device you plug in. It's a little box you plug into your TV, and that basically let's you know, if you plug that into your Htmi then you're using the Roku interface to download apps and watch things via streaming. So I mean, if you have a TV that doesn't that's not a smart TV and you only have like traditional cable, which I guess right now, your only traditional cable would be Spectrum, and I guess you could still have Dish or Direct TV. So yeah, there's probably still people that they really would have to watch it on their phone, or watch it on a device, or you know, maybe old school pull it up on your laptop and connect an HDMI cable from your laptop to your TV, and I get it, like that may not be something worthwhile to you if you're really not that interested in this game. But the people who act like they can't watch it or they just you know, like if you don't have cause. Again, if you have direct TV, Spectrum, Dish Network, if they're still around, you probably have ESPN available to you. Therefore, all you have to do is get to an ESPN app, rather it be www dot ep dot com or on your Roku if you have one. If you don't and you have, but you have a TV that's new enough to where you have apps, you can still watch it that way. So again, I'm sure there are still some that just have standard spectrum TV and a box and they just change channels and you wouldn't be able to watch it that way. But it's not because you got to pay for anything. It's just because of you.
Speaker 2: You're not.
Speaker 3: You don't you don't technologically have what's needed to watch it on your television, at least not yet. So you know, if you really want to watch it, and you have the situation, the setup that I just described where you just got that spectrum box and that's it if you just use your phone and you open up the ESPN app and you try to watch it that way or on your iPad or whatnot. You can put in your your login for Spectrum and you can watch it for free. So you know, I just encourage people to if you've yet to really figure it out or put in the work that you feel like isn't worth it before too long, like this is just going to be how it is, and you won't watch sports if you don't have the ability to understand the smart TV with apps or the Roku device or a fire stick. I think there's others out there similar to that. So again, tonight, if you want to watch it, that's how you'll you'll do it. But hopefully I hope there's a big crowd tonight because and I have no clue what attendance is going to be. And I probably shouldn't even mention that because I don't want to go down that path of talking about what's a good crowd, what's a bad crowd. But I do feel comfortable at least saying if you're playing other teams that are you know, in this caliber where Bellerman is, you have a better chance of getting people to come than you do if you're you know, this game should should be a better attended game than if you were playing Morehead State. I would say, but you know again, I think it's tough to really predict Louisville crowds for games like this, even though Bellerman is a local school, of course that they've got fans here as well that are going to want to come and watch watch their team play. All right, it's coffee to come. But we are feel about Thorton's here on Sports Talk seven nine. He appreciate you hanging out with us. We're gonna be joint coming up here in about fifteen minutes by cl Brown or the Courier Journal. We'll talk about a lot of things with cl. But if you are just now joining us. We did address the tough news yesterday for Louisville football. I mean, it has nothing to do with football itself, but certainly not a good look and certainly not good timing considering the way things played out for Jeff Bram and his team at Stanford. But defensive fact, Teyon Holloway has been charged with assault and feling strangulation. That news came out right towards the end of the show yesterday.
Speaker 2: I was not.
Speaker 3: In fact, I got up out of the chair, I walked to our kitchen here at iHeart, and came back in and saw my phone it was going off and somebody had texted me the link of theirs. I think it might have been Matt mcgavick who put it out there first, but I think somebody had sent me his tweet.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wait a second.
Speaker 3: First of all, this is bad, not a good look by any means, But wait a second, isn't Holloway the guy?
Speaker 2: Yeah he is.
Speaker 3: He's the guy who committed a really senseless penalty. And I ain't even like comparing the two things, like, well, on this day he committed a penalty, they cost his team a game.
Speaker 2: The next day he was strength like.
Speaker 3: They're not related, but like a clearly a tough couple of days for for Tayon Holloway. You know, one is a criminal offense that if he's guilty of it, like he's you know, he's gonna probably you know, not dud don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't even to go down that path of guessing what kind of punishment he would get when it comes to the courts or whatnot. But he's the same guy who committed the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for that sideline push. That was one of many things that helped Stanford win the game the way that they did. And then whenever Louisville arrived back on Sunday, he ended up. And I have no clue if this if this young woman is his girlfriend, friend or whatever, but again he was arrested in charge with felony strangulation misdemeanor domestic assault after he is accused of attacking a woman when she tried to stop him from smoking mari marijuana on Sunday night. And this seemed to be like as far as timing here, about an hour after they got back in town on Sunday. So the police claimed that Halloway threw the woman off the bed and struck her in the face with his fists. When she tried to fight back, Halloway allegedly put a pillow over the face, smothering her for about ten seconds before attempting to throw her out of the room.
Speaker 2: That's according to the police report.
Speaker 3: Police were dispatched to a call for service at an apartment on Shelburne's Circle around nine o'clock on a nine to one to one hang up call.
Speaker 2: Somebody called nine one want to hung up.
Speaker 3: They had to vet that and make sure everybody's okay, and they did that, and all parties inside of the apartment were initially uncooperative according to the officers there. And the alleged victim had laceration to her upper lip and puffy eyes. So he pleaded not guilty yesterday and was able to postpond. Ten thousand dollars was his bond, according to the court records here, and he's not allowed to have any communication with the alleged victim. And U of L has released a statement they did yesterday right after this became public, that they were aware of the rest and they're gathering information. But while they do that, Teyon Holloway has been suspended from all team activities. I mean, it's one of those instances where you kind of think, like, can you can't make this up?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Like, no way this I mean again, this.
Speaker 3: Has nothing to do with football itself, and what he did when he got back to Louisville clearly is a different I mean, it's a different world compared to you know, him making a mistake that really hurt his team on Sunday or I'm sorry on Saturday, but yeah, just not the kind of news you want for your Louisville football For any me, you don't want this news if it's non football related, if it's not a college football player. I mean, these are things that you know you never want to see happen anywhere. And it's also never a good look for your program to have a player doing these kind of things. But this is clearly an isolated thing. I mean, I hope it doesn't become a pattern with you have l football players, But you know, I don't think that this is a sign like anybody trying to look at this and then act as if it has any kind of a factor on the season and the team being undisciplined and the way they lost to Stanford or maybe even other like that. I mean, I mean, I do whatever you want, but I just I'm surprised that at least, you know, some have decided to compare the two things. Is if this is a sign as to how bad things are going for Louisville football. Clearly a rough couple of days when it comes to the perception of your program, you know, taking a pr hit with an embarrassing loss, and then of course this type of news, but it's an isolated thing. I mean, I don't know for sure, and I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong here, but I'm pretty sure since Jeff Brohm has been here, you haven't had any any type of issue like this or anybody getting arrested for any type of situation. And I don't anticipate that this will become a pattern or anything like that. I would imagine this will probably end up being a very isolated thing, which is what you want.
Speaker 2: I mean, you mean you don't want this at all.
Speaker 3: But hopefully this is the first and only time something like this happens for Louisville fotball with je Brahm as the coach. All right again, Seal Brown going to join us, coming up here in about ten minutes. But let's go to the text line really quickly. Here FIVO two six five to three zero seven ninety. It's the Ellen n Federal Credit Union text line. And this person had a long I mean, I knew it was going to happen, and it's okay. I tried to clarify, and people hear what they want to hear. I am not saying in any way that Louisville should not play Bellerman. I only wanted to bring up a different way of looking at it that I think a lot of fans that are Louisville fans or Bellerman fans, maybe fans of both, often don't consider when it comes to this game in this series, if coach Pat Kelsey decided Bellerman was going to continue to be a team that's, you know, in the three hundreds, and he wanted to make sure they're playing teams that, you know, as far as he can tell, they'll be at worst, you know, two fifty or better, like that would make sense because of the analytics, because of how the how the selection committee is. Again, it's not like they're going to go back to, Okay, you beat them by thirty seven, you should have beat them by forty two. I mean, it's not that. But we now know that there is a formula out there that the NCAA relies on when it comes to the NCAA tournament process, And I think it makes total sense for every coach to consider every game and determine, Okay, does this one make as much sense as this game that we could get do we stand to potentially put ourselves in a situation where we could benefit more so by playing this team than that team. So if Pat Kelsey decided he didn't want to play the game anymore, I just want people to realize that would be the reason why. I mean, maybe there's another reason. I don't know, he only he could tell you that. So I'm not saying that they shouldn't play or that I'm mad that they played other I'm just stating that with the I mean, look, it was asked to coach Kelsey at his press conference yesterday. I think it was asked for, you know, for obvious reasons, because I think people realized that, you know, maybe maybe maybe he wouldn't want to keep doing it, because I do think it became pretty clear that Chris Mack did not want to play the game. And I don't know specifically why he didn't want to play the game. But in fact, I don't even know people realize this. This is actually from I guess about I mean half five six years ago, something like that.
Speaker 2: But at one point.
Speaker 3: U of L needed to use Freedom Hall for I think a postseason like an NCAA volleyball tournament game, and they didn't have the ability to use dum Center, So Bellerman gave them access to Freedom Hall, which they were using at the time, and I think in return, Vince Tyree agreed to schedule Bellerman basketball as they transitioned to D one. So it was really like, okay, we'll we'll get you on the basketball scale. For however, many years, the series was if we can use Freedom Hall for volleyball because we really needed so I think that's how it all came about. And yes, they've played for many, many years, but it was always an exhibition game because Bellerman was Division two. It changed whenever they became a Division one program. So anyways, back to the whole. For those who didn't hear me talking about it in the three o'clock hour, I did want to reset and kind of clarify my comments as to like, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Anti the game.
Speaker 3: I love Coach Davenport, and you know, whoever Louisville plays, I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna. I'm going to realize I have no say so and who they schedule. But I just think there's a there's there's a reason why it's being asked. It's because there may be a situation where they decide not to do it, and I would say that would be the reason why if they made that decision. But this text that came in, I'll kind of I guess paraphrase here.
Speaker 2: I don't want to read a word for word. It's pretty lengthy.
Speaker 3: But it's somebody that's that's, you know, upset about what I'm saying about the Bellerman game. And again I think you have selective hearing. But they do bring up a good point. And and I didn't know this, but it's worth mentioned given what we're talking about tonight. Cincinnati they will and by way, they're a top twenty team right now. Wes Miller and Cincinnati will cross over into Kentucky and play n KU at NKU.
Speaker 2: And you know what, good for them.
Speaker 3: That's cool if they want to do that, But you know what that is, that's a gift programs like NKU and Bellerman getting to play teams like Louisville and Cincinnati is I mean, it's it's I don't want to say it's something they need. They could go get other teams to play them as well, but like it's a beneficial thing for them, where it's not for Cincinnati or Louisville. Now, again, if you're talking about well, Hey, the fans would like it because you know, they're both Division one schools here in Louisville. Like, yeah, that's like that, that's awesome. And I mean that sincerely. I'm not saying like that's lame, but that that can't be why your coach schedules the games. I mean, I mean it can, but like I wouldn't. I wouldn't think that would be the way any coach would go about it. So that's that's charity, is what that is Cincinnati going to Northern Kentucky to give them a home game, Like that's that's that's a big deal for them now. I would also I would also think that a factor there for them making that decision to go play them at in KU would be that they probably have a lot of fans that are Cincinnati natives that might live in Northern Kentucky now, right because it's right there on the Like, they probably also realized that, like that's not a tough travel for uh for fans in Cincinnati, and they may have fans that are like, hell, yeah, I don't have to go to Cincinnati. I live right here in Holland Heights, or I live right here in you know, Newport one of those areas near northern Kentucky. But yes, I did not know that, and good for them. But if they didn't do that, and they said, hell no, why would we go play you at in Ku, I would also understand that. All right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back. Welcome in the one and only C. L. Brown of the Courier Journal. As we keep this thing rolling along, It's Coffee and Game Day edition, fuel about Thorntons right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, coffee and Company. We're about halfway through here on a Tuesday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. We are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you sign up to become a member of the Thornton's Refreshman Awards program if you haven't already. Louisvillvellmans and I we're going to talk about that coming up here in just a moment with C. L. Brown, who now joins us. But see all, I got to talk about what happened in the Bay area on Saturday afternoon. I don't know if I can think of a loss that. You know, literally every little thing in the last I don't know a few minutes of action needed to happen for Stanford to be in a position to win that game in overtime with a field goal.
Speaker 2: It all happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, I that's got to be one of the most I mean embarrassing losses ever as far as not only who it is, but like how it all happened, just your thoughts on a game that you know, for my ends still have a tough time processing it played out the way it did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he pretty much summed it up, Nick. I mean, I think some of it. It wasn't just like and I know you weren't saying Stanford got lucky, but I think Louisville helped tremendously in losing that game.
Speaker 3: And oh there's things that, like, quite literally the only thing that could have given in the chance to do it, Louisville served it up for him. I mean, that's it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, And it's disappointing to see a team that just came off of arguably the biggest win, the biggest road win in in program history. Uh certain certainly since they've been in the ACC and then go to that. You know, it's it's it's imbalance. You can't really understand or justify how how that actually happened. I was sitting here thinking Stanford was just gonna be kind of playing out the string and they were gonna kind of lay down if if Louisville got up early, certainly in the fourth quarter up two scores, I thought it was a done deal then, and uh, be honest, I kind of stopped watching and got away from you know, would come and peak. And then even even on the last drive when when Louisville got the first down, moved into Stanford territory, Tyler shuck spikes the ball, I'm thinking, okay, they're about to get a field goal here, and then step away one more time. I come back and Stanford is lining up for the for the game winner, and it just it was it was mind boggling how it all happened. But I mean, they got to get past that quickly, because pitt is certainly a capable team, even though they're on their own losing streak coming into here on Saturday, and they got quarterback, not issues at quarterback, but I'm not sure that they know who's starting right now with the normal starter Eli Holstein's he was out last week. I think he was in concussion protocol and they're back up and Nate Yarnell played.
Speaker 4: So it should be an interesting game.
Speaker 5: I wonder too if U l at this point it's going to be looking ahead to the Kentucky game, just because that, to me will define how successful the season is since since kind of the ACC goals are out the window, and certainly the College Football playoff goal was out too. But the win over Kentucky will make things a lot easier. But they can't, you know, obviously, they can't look past Pitt right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the last two games here could give you, if you, if you win much easier said than done, could get you at eight and four finished in the regular season, which isn't what a lot of fans probably envision for this team, but it still would be for Louisville. That's that's usually considered a pretty good season in really any any year. But I think last year with the ten, with the ten wins and getting to the ACC championship, it did of course up expectations, if anything, just slightly for for Louisville fans around here. But what is so puzzling to me is that, you know, I think if Louisville does some avoidable things against good teams, like they've got the pieces to where they could compete. I don't want to say with like anybody, but we do have a year where there's a lot of parody at the top of college football. They like That's what's so puzzling is that I actually think Louisville losing these two games in an embarrassing fashion is certainly on the table. But if they win and it's not close, that's also something I could see happening. It's you know, you're ten games in, you have an identity, But if you're Jeff bramin the code, like fans are frustrated, imagine what Jeff Brom's feeling like, Like he means he's watching his team weeke in and week out show stretches where you're like, man, this is a pretty special group. Like I think there are players on this team who knows what it looks like in the future because of the portal and all that kind of stuff. But like, I think they got a good team here, but it just hasn't added up for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I mean it has it just hadn't added up to a big like a special season to big wins. Well, it added to a big win at Clemson. Like but you know, I mean when you when you go back through all.
Speaker 4: Of these losses of it, this is kind of a lost season where the games are right in their grass.
Speaker 5: I mean the Notre Dame game, it's the three turnovers, you know, the SMU game they have the fumble overturned on the game winning drivet for SMU. The Miami game, same thing with the scoop and score, although defensively obviously that was their worst game of the season, closely rivaled by it when at Stanford. But it's just they were right there to take all these games that they lost. The funny thing is, though, at the beginning of the season, one of the columns I wrote was that Louisville could have a better team this year with the worst record than they had last season. I think the schedule kind of fell in their favor last year, not saying it was the sole reason they won ten games, but it helped, you know, with them getting to the a SEC Championship game. And this year, to me, they had the toughest schedule in the ACC because of how it all turned out.
Speaker 4: I mean, they played the top.
Speaker 5: Three teams basically in Miami, SMU, and Clemson, and nobody else had to play all three of those teams.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I think lucky.
Speaker 2: I think you're spot on.
Speaker 3: It's just I think what makes it frustrating for fans is that, yes, you did play the toughest schedule in the ACC and losing to those teams is why you were in the top twenty of the College Football Playoff rankings. But it wasn't because Wow, you just lined up and they're just a lot better than you. I guess you could probably say that for Mia for the most part. But against SMU, you know that late fumble that you that you referenced, and I think even just such a poor star defensively where they were just able to put up fourteen quickly within the first two drives. It's things that you feel like should have been I guess, you know, avoidable, Like I think last year's team, there's no doubt the schedule was clearly something that that had was a factor in them getting to a ten and two regular season, and I don't know what the ceiling was for that team. Honestly, it probably is what it was ten wins, to be honest, but I think last year's team did develop an ability to to just fight till the end and avoid big, costly mistakes at bad times. Like they won some close games that some can say, well, hey, the break went their way, it's luck, whatever, But I think you can develop a skill as a team to wear Okay, let's stay locked in. We're not going to hurt ourselves. Let's keep fighting, and we'll find a way to win this year. I think this team, for whatever reason they find I don't want to say, they find ways to lose, and I'm not trying to take credit away from the teams that do beat them, but man like, some of the mistakes they make are avoidable, and they seem to happen at the worst possible time, and again fans are frustrated. I can't imagine what Jeff Brom's feeling right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well, I think Brom will feel a lot better beat in Kentucky at this point.
Speaker 3: Totally, but he's probably thought about that game more than anybody last year, to be honest with you, Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: But I do think too, even with this season like, even though the Georgia Tech game was thirty one to nineteen, you know, Georgia Tech was going to kick that field goal with the score twenty four to nineteen and it would have made it a one.
Speaker 4: Score game, you know, to close out. But Louisville gets the block and returns for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Like they at Virginia too. That was one that could have easily gone the other way.
Speaker 4: Virginia game two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, on the road, they could have easily let that get away. So I guess to your point, there's a level of consistency that you have to have in those situations, and Louisville has not had that this season.
Speaker 3: One more question for you when it comes to football, and this will probably be better to assess next week whenever we see what happens with Louisville and pitt as well as Kentucky and Texas.
Speaker 2: But who do you feel like?
Speaker 3: And I think I know the answer this, but I want to get your thoughts, and I know you're not surveying every fan within both fan bases, but like, who do you think needs it more? Just because again, it's not going to change a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, for their season overall Kentucky. They don't beat Texas, they're not going to a bowl game, which is really unlikely for Louisville. You know, maybe it takes them from seven to eight or six to seven, whatever it may be. Who do you think probably needs that more? Stoops or Brom.
Speaker 5: I think Stoops does, just because it just feels like he's in a funny stage right now in his tenure at UK.
Speaker 4: And I really thought he was going to leave after last year.
Speaker 2: I think he did too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it takes me and m situation didn't work out, But what more can he do there? Like, I really thinks he's.
Speaker 4: Reached the level of.
Speaker 5: I don't know if frustration is the right word, but I think he's just kind of topped off and he's in a situation where if he doesn't measure up, like this season doesn't measure up to the past seasons of how he's raised expectations there, then it's looked at as a failure. But when you look historically at Kentucky football, these seasons happened all the time. These seasons happen more often than you know, the eighth straight bowl games you'd gotten too, So you know, I think there's a level of just what more can I do and what's next for Stuts. So if he were able to close out strong with the what would be a monumental upset at Texas, if they pulled that off and beating U L at home, that would you know, I think that might give him a little boost, a little be a little energizer for him, or at least a boost of energy for him. But I mean, I think brom just being here two, I still think, you know, I wouldn't put it in he needs it categories just yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, I think with with Stoops, he's a guy that has probably taken more heat from his fan base this year than maybe he ever has. Just as far as they're not very good, they're not winning, and I don't know what their record you know, should be at this point.
Speaker 2: I mean, you are what your record indicates.
Speaker 3: But like, this is the Kentucky team that isn't a team that has a bunch of guys Joker Phillips brought. And this team has some pretty good players that came from some pretty and I still think that now, like if Kentucky lines up against Louisville at the end of the year, and you see Barry and Brown making plays that you know you've seen him make before. I mean, I'm not gonna be shocked. I mean, they've got Dan Key, another really good receiver. Their defense has guys that are going to play in the NFL. So you know, clearly he's He's had a lot of critics throughout this year, more so than he's probably used to. And I think if if they were to lose to Louisville, which he hasn't lost in a long long time, I kind of feel like part of their fans would be you know, I'm not surprised. We've been pretty bad this year, but I think it may turn into where they're like, all right, this guy, you know, he's clearly done all he can do. Let's let's move on. But he's saying that he's he's saying that he's gonna stick around. Look, you you've been around here a long time, cl you know that this both fans but don't feel great right now, but this win can do a lot for him and it can make Thanksgiving a lot more enjoyable for everybody.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but he I mean, Stoops isn't gonna walk away from nine million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, as we just just last week, like it just makes no sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can't. There's really no reason for them to try and push him. Oh even with.
Speaker 5: My man summer um, some are all at zulaying kind of the coach in waiting, so to speak. At least if it was the right timing with the openings, I'm sure Kentucky would love to scoop him up as their next guy.
Speaker 4: But what are you gonna do with Stoops now? You can't. You can't really just force them out.
Speaker 5: So I think the most frustrating thing for Kentucky fans during the season, or one of the frustrating things is just when when you're at Kentucky you have to win the fifty to fifty games against comparable programs light South Carolina like Vanderbilt.
Speaker 4: Uh and in this particular year, Florida was struggling the way.
Speaker 5: They were, and UK have had recent success against them, and you know they didn't handle that game at all well. And and Auburn at home, I mean Auburn ran for three thousand yards.
Speaker 2: In that case, I think that was their first conference win, wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Their first conference win? Was Ole Miss? Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I think I think that was Auburn. I think, yeah, I think Auburn was winless at that time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right, you're right. So you know, I mean, you can understand losing at Tennessee. You can understand, uh, certainly, losing at Georgia, even though they played one of their best games of a year short of that Old Miss game. But you know, when you get blown out by South Carolina at home, losing to Vanderbilt at home, those are the things that are like, you know, you're not going to have a successful season at UK when you lose those kind of games.
Speaker 3: All right, let's switch gears to basketball. Louisville back in action after a ten day break tonight taking on Scott Davenport and the Bellarman Knights. An unusual long break there after a big time beat down. Obviously, I'm sure Pat Kelsey was able to utilize that time to really learn from the loss to Tennessee. I'm not sure Bellerman's the kind of team that's going to be able to test you similarly to where you see if you did get better from that previous situation.
Speaker 2: But what are you looking to see tonight?
Speaker 3: I think with both teams, you're gonna see a lot of three point shots and probably a Louisville win that you know, given the way the season has gone for both teams so far, I would say probably a big win for Louisville.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Scott Davenport's a pretty good coach, we know that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm just curious in terms of what kind of tweaks well see what from the Tennessee game till now, if if any at all. I'm still kind of curious about Pat Kelsey's rotation, specifically with Casey and Pryor, because to me, he's one of their best five and should be on the floor more.
Speaker 4: Or at least.
Speaker 5: Starting and that kind of thing. But I kind of want to see how that plays out. And the thing about Bellerman, it's it's it's strange, you know, to see them coming in winless oh to four right now.
Speaker 4: They've played, they've had a couple of close losses, you know, certainly to be in my in southern Indiana, but.
Speaker 5: I would expect them to kind of have saved up their best effort of the season for tonight, you know, if for no other reason, it's it's there's still they deal and they're in the city with U L fans, and you know this is still a chance to make a mark. Although I don't anticipate the same results from two years ago, but I do think they'll they'll come out with a spirited spirits at play.
Speaker 3: One more question for you when it comes to this match up this series. You know you're gonna see coaches and it's already happening where they're a little more selective who they play. That is, in this level of college basketball, there's over three hundred and sixty Division One teams, and there are certain teams you play that you really don't stand to benefit in any way. It's not going to kill you, but you can fall in the Kent palm, you can fall on the net because you can't beat a team by as much. I mean, you'd have to beat them by an ungodly amount of points. Do you think that that will lead to Louisville? Maybe potentially. And again, we're still learning a lot about Pat Kelsey as far as his scheduling strategy. I mean, a lot of the schedule this year was already put together before he got the job. But I do think that's something that fans should consider. As much as you want this game. Bellerman. At least as of right now, they are kind of in that tier of a team that you really other than just you know, maybe getting a lovely environment more so than you. But if you brought in i don't know, Lipscumb or something, or North Florida or Jacksonville, I could see coaches saying, hey, this is a game we're going to stay away from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I don't know, it's kind of tricky. You could always justify playing this game, you know. I mean Morehead State was similarly in the bottom third, you know, in terms of the Ken Palm and those kind of sites, analytical sites. They were around the three hundred, you know, three hundred level team. But I think at some point you just kind of got to look at the greater good of things. But also factoring in is the ACC schedule, because you know, with the way the conferences is kind of taking a step back. I mean, they made a big deal. Jim Phillips Commissioner Jim Phillips over the summer or at least during their spring meetings, had a huge talking point on scheduling with ACC men's basketball, and they do want to see the bigger matchups against other powerful conferences that will help boost you know, the teams, the ACC teams in the net rankings, and also some of these other minor games. They don't they definitely don't want to see a lot of three hundred level teams on the schedules. So the thing about Bellarman during Scotti Davenport's time there, they have been you know, obviously a tough out and they've been you know, in the one fifty to two hundred reigns a couple of years in terms of their how they stacked up. So you know, those are teams you can schedule, and you know most teams do schedule those games against the Bellomans of the world.
Speaker 4: But and I would expect this.
Speaker 5: To kind of just be a dip right now for Scottie, and I think they'll get back to being, you.
Speaker 4: Know, at a playing at a higher level.
Speaker 5: And so I think you continue this series if it were me scheduling, because I also don't think you're going to get development upset. You know, that was like once in a generational thing. So I think it's good for the city to have these two teams play, and I'd like to see it go forward, But you know, who knows how it's going to be in the future.
Speaker 3: Well said, See, I'll appreciate your time as always, my man. Good to chat with you, and then we'll do it. Againsumer brother all right, take care Nick. All right, that's CEO Brown of the Courier Journal. Good stuff as always. Quick break will come back on the other side for a quick segment to wrap up the four o'clock hour. Keep this thing rolling along right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company fueled my Thortens on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: Just a few minutes left here in the four o'clock hour, and then we'll hit the top of the hour. Finish strong here for a five o'clock hour on a Tuesday game day, we'll get back into the development matchup as well. But in the NFL, just something that is insane to look at as far as numbers. The Lions against the Jags over the weekend out gained them by four hundred and seventy five yards, which I mean that almost seems like a stat that's not that's not possible. In fact, it's the biggest yardage differential in an NFL game since nineteen seventy nine. If you look at other other games that are that are in that in that ballpark. I guess in the seventies you had a lot of to be honest, a lot of ass women. Because in the Rams and Seahawks in nineteen seventy nine there was four eighty two yards difference Falcons Rams that same year four and eighty eight yards. In nineteen forty three, the Bears and the Giants, the Bears outgained the Giants by five hundred and twenty five yards. In nineteen fifty one, the Yankees, yes there were the there was a team called the Yankees beat the Rams and outgained them by five hundred and sixty nine yards. So really an archaic type of butt whooping that that the Lions were able to handle the Jags.
Speaker 2: And I thought I saw this earlier.
Speaker 3: Is they have they fired as the Jaguars fired their coach yet or do they fire a GM doesn't look like it. For some reason, I thought I saw that they were that they'd made a move. Now there was a move made in the NFL today, and it's just a reminder that if you're gonna cut somebody and you're gonna you know, if you realize something isn't working or something went wrong, You're gonna end up seeing ownership move on from personnel within the office more so than a player. Because Aaron Rodgers got a deal with seventy five million dollars guaranteed from the New York Jets just a year ago and since then, three wins for Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback. Robert Saleh fired GM, Joe Douglas now fired today. So clearly it's their fault and not Aaron Rodgers's fault. And I mean, let's be real, I don't think the Jets are are are you know, thinking it's any one person's fault. But when you've got so much money invested, you're not going to get rid of that. You're going to go find people rather be your head coach and your GM clearly both here to figure out how to make it work because you've got seventy five million dollars tied up in somebody who you know, probably has played his best football long ago. And I've never been an Aaron Rodgers fan, but I've always thought he was really really good, like I think Green Bay Rodgers, you know, even though he had the one Super Bowl and at times they lost in the playoffs earlier than you feel like they probably should have. I've always felt like Rogers is one of the best quarterbacks I've ever watched, But the guy in New York now is not the same guy. And maybe it's because of personnel, maybe it's because you know, he's not what he once was, But I would be shocked if that ends up being a successful tenure there with Aaron Rodgers in New York. All right, quick break again. Sorry for the short segment. Clock management not my strong suit, but hey, stick around. We'll continue to get you set for tip off Louisville and Bellarman the night at seven o'clock and a lot of other things I want to get into as well, including John Calipari seemingly losing his mind in Fayetteville, which I'm taking great amusement in, as well as Pat Kelsey talking a little bit about tonight's matchup. In the college football playoff rankings, I think everybody other than Big ten fans are starting to see like, okay, nobody really believes that, Like the Big Ten has six of the top eight teams. Right, So again, we'll have a load at five o'clock hour coming your way, right, here on Sports Talk seven ninety