Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. The Dodgers and Padre is getting set for game two of this three game series, and we're enjoying right now by Dodger All Star catcher Will Smith. Will thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, got it. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: I know you're a guy that keeps everything very steady. But how fun was it to play in a game like last night?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was fun. You know games are always fun, you know, intense, intense uh in tense atmosphere. You know, crowds or their crowds into it. Obviously a really talented team, you know, kind of back and forth game last night, so you know, if I want to come out on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you look at the way you guys were able to navigate the end of that game, did you feel like Bonda's two innings and the way kirbyates and yourself navigated that tattoo sat bat were key moments?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think so. I think BANDA did a great job, you know, give us two really strong innings, you know, killed Romentum, then Kirby coming in. I think it was the ninth thing at that time, putting up a zero, let us get to the top of the ten to score a couple of runs. It was huge.
Speaker 1: Kirby was telling me earlier today that with experience has come him not only understanding who he has to attack at the plate, but also who's on deck and understand that whole dynamic. How much do you pay attention to those type of things too? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's always always going through my head, you know, from the first pitch on. You know, it's just part of calling a game, is managing the lineup, knowing where we're at, no one's too hot, who's not no one, you know, kind of the matchups and no one you know, just kind of seeing the future what helps us to us win. So yeah, I'm always looking at that stuff.
Speaker 1: Will Smith is our guest in front of first pitch here in San Diego. Will, it seems like the first day of the season, all the way back in Tokyo, you've had a feel for whatever's going on in the batter's box. Can you describe the feel or is there that feel that you felt since the first day?
Speaker 2: Uh No, I just feel like my swing's in a really good spot. Keep it in a good spot so far, this year, which is always which is always challenged, so I'm gonna try to maintain that. But yeah, you know, just sticking my approach, moving most forward, driving guys in that's you know, what I try to do.
Speaker 1: On a day like today, the Dodgers are making a concerted effort to give you more days off behind the plate. Do you appreciate them keeping that in mind for the long term?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I mean that's just you know, part of it. My position. I can't go out there every night. I wish I could, so yeah, just trying to be smart about it. We've done a really good job the last few years, so yeah, just sticking to it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about them making it such a concerted effort on nights like tonight to get you off your feet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I called the last three so you know, travel I want four in a row. Yeah. Those will come probably at some point, maybe not with a travel day in between, but yeah, that's just part of it.
Speaker 1: On a day like today, what is the routine for you?
Speaker 2: Ah, just a lot of recovery stuff, you know, get in the training room, doing some stuff in the weight room. He just give my body right for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Were you able to watch Otani throw his simulated game today. Nope, you were not one of the many of the teammates that were fans watching that.
Speaker 2: No, I was not. I heard it went well though.
Speaker 1: It's pretty incredible to think that even though he's not pitching in a major league game, he could go out there throw forty pitches in three simulated innings and then dh for you guys tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's definitely not a lot for him and the training staff and the coaches to you know, to manage and watch what he's doing and get him back healthy to pitch for us, you know, this year. So yeah, it's a it's definitely a thing. It's definitely you know, a lot of thought and thoughts going into it. So it's impressive. But yeah, so hopefully see in the night hit a couple of Homer and Trapp, a couple guys in and actually count to help, you know, help win some games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be very Otani and Otani has a sneaky good sense of humor. Do you believe that Otani will show up at your charity comedy event on August sixth? Will he be on stage?
Speaker 2: I don't know it sounds like you're trying to promote the event by saying he'll be there, but no, I don't know yet, so we'll see. I love for hiving to me out there. You know, all the teammates had a really good time last year. I know guys are excited for it this year coming back, so it should be another good night.
Speaker 1: What is the genesis of this idea for a charity? I mean, are you a big comedy guy? You going home and watching Got Chappelle? Are you going back to the room watching Eddie Murphy Raw? Like, where does this come from?
Speaker 2: No? It was honestly, you know, we we know the Netflix people pretty well and have a really good relationship with them, so they brought the idea to us teaming up and doing you know, part of their festival last year. And then I know they're not doing the festival this year, but you know, wanting to keep the tradition going with catching hope. So yeah, we're excited for another good night. Obviously, Karen and I avery fans of comedy and you know I love watching the shows, so it's more of that, not really us being huge comic fans, but we've we've definitely got into it, you know, get to know more comedians, knowing you know, and knowing their their skills on the stage, which is really cool. So it's it's a fun night. We're excited.
Speaker 1: Hey, is it tough for you and your wife to find a show that you both like? Because my wife is so tired of the shows that I pick, either they're too violent or too much sports.
Speaker 2: Ah. No, we usually agree on some Sometimes, you know, she'll put on her I call it trash TV, and I just kind of tune out. But uh, and then you know, we're flying on planes, I watch, but she doesn't want to watch. So we've got it done pretty good. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks a lot for taking the time out. Glad you got a day off today, three in a row. Of course, I'm counting those days. And we'll see you out there tomorrow, got it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave,