Speaker 1: The Ruger SFAAR is one of the trim is threeh eight modern sporting rifles available more power but lighter in the field and range. See how light it is at Ruger dot com.
Speaker 2: Upgrade your optic with Hollisen, where innovation meets precision. With fifty thousand hours of battery life, shake awake technology and a solar failsafe, your optic is always ready when you are Hollosen confidence in every shot.
Speaker 3: He was the first and he's still the best. For thirty years, Tom Gresham has been your trusted source on all things ballistic, new guns, Second Amendment, Personal protection, deep part of it. Paul, Tom talk gun. Now, here's Tom.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, we're gonna have some fun two days. Addle up, buckle up. I think it's gonna be good. We're gonna talk about guns and AMMO and scopes and reloading and mistakes. May Oh yeah, I made a mistake. I did one of those wrong AMMO right gun things. Nobody got hurt. But I'll tell you about that. It's one of those hmm. Didn't know about that one, and I learned something I never knew. We'll have a little bit about that as to go along sometime today. We'll also be talking with an expert about self defense with guns. Once again, why we worry about the wrong thing? Maybe another way to say is what should we be focusing on? And as much as cool guns and neat accessories are a lot of fun, that may not be what we need to be thinking about. Where we're talking about a life saving device, we'll have more about that as we go along. Well, also, we got a lot of things to talk about. And of course you're we love to get you to call in, tell us what have you been shooting? Tell me about an experience you had at the range or maybe the gun store, whatever, it doesn't matter, you know. Look, here's the deal. All we're doing is just swapping stories. It's just like sitting around the digital campfire and we're having some fun telling stories. And you'll tell a few, I'll tell a few, and it's up to everybody else to figure out which ones are true and which ones are not. There you go, It is vitally important, and look, we're going to talk about hardwarees that go along, but it is vitally important for us to stay up with what's going on in the battle to preserve and basically restore the Second Amendment. We have lost a lot of the real world aspects of Second Amendment. We're getting some of them back. We made some progress, but man, it is frustrating and it is slow, and it's like crawling up. He'll try to pull a rock at the same time. One of the guys at the forefront of that joins us right now. Bill Sack is the director of legal operations for the Second Amendment Foundation. Bill, you've been doing just a long time. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Hey, Tom, good to be here.
Speaker 4: You bet okay, Well, you hear what I say. It's like it's different when you're in I don't know, maybe it isn't. I'm assuming it's different when you're in the middle of it, because a lot of us out here just get frustrated. We look at all these cases and going, why can't we just win the big one and make this thing go away? It seems so simple to us, and yet you're faced with having fifty or sixty suits going at a time and making you know, two steps forward, one step back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is the nature of the thing. Although you know, I think it's important to remember that. Looking just at like the media mark of history here, you know, like where we've come in the last fifteen years or so is overwhelmingly positive. Like things are so good now compared to how they were, and by all means, our work is not at all done. But you know, when we look at the fact that we have permitless and I think we're up to thirty some odd states now, you know, we we have the Heller Decision guaranteeing the individual right to possess firearms in the home. We have the Brewined Decision talking about and confirming our right to carry outside.
Speaker 6: Of the home.
Speaker 5: You know, things are better now than they have been in a long time. So while there's plenty of work yet to be done, and you're right, we've got I think we're up to fifty six or fifty seven cases now, which we can talk about a lot of work has to be done, but Boyer, things going in the right direction in large part, and I think it's important to keep people's morale high because things are going. Okay, we're not done, but things aren't going terribly.
Speaker 4: No, you're exactly, you're right. I remember back, yeah, way way way back, the nineteen sixty eight Gun Control Act, which was the DoD Bill. I remember hearing about that when I was in high school. I debated it in high school, and after it was passed, and then we got more and I kept thinking, you know, this, this could be the end the Second Endment. It's on a downhill slide. It was not looking good back then, and then even as much as twenty years ago, it was not looking great at all. So you're right, we've made some real advancements, but there's just some knuckleheaded decisions being made and a lot of anti gun activism at a state level. Is that fair? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: I mean we've got you know, like a six or seven states, give or take that i'd like to call, you know, the the bastion of bad ideas where these things brew and then spread to their friends, you know, and we can all name them, you know, New Jersey, in Massachusetts and California and Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland. You know, there is a tendency amongst the states where there's you know, not a lot of political competition to do whatever it is that they want to do. And anytime they perceive that there's been a win on behalf of the Second Amendment, you know, with the help of a whole lot of other anti gun groups, they're always interested in coming up with a new novel approach to try to snack back some of the rights that we just restored, so that that ain't going to change anytime soon. It's a good job security for me, but.
Speaker 6: I wish it weren't.
Speaker 4: All right, let me ask you about one that just popped up. I was going to ask you about it anyway, but then we got this curve thrown at us this past week. The Second Amendment Foundation at FBC sued and the court said, okay, yeah, if you're a member of these organizations, you can now carry in post offices because we'll overturn this idea that you can't carry in post offices. And then we got another decision this week from yet another circuit court that says, Nope, nope, that's completely constitutional for us to ban you taking a gun into a post office. Where are we now with that?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 5: So, I think you did a really good job of recapping where we're at. So in our case with our partner in the case, fire Arms Policy Coalition, So that case is actually called fpcv. Bonding. That's the case out of the Northern District of Texas, and in that case, the district court struck down the law and associated regulation that bans carry of firearms in your average post office. And so what I mean by average post office is post offices that don't otherwise ban carry for a secondary reason. And what I mean by that is, for example, post offices that are like on a military base or something. So the basic ban on carrying in a post office or on post office property. And that's also important because the ban also includes the parking lot. As soon as you hit the boxing lot, you know, taking your gun out of your waist and throwing it in the safe in your center console, you're still in violation of the law. This injunction struck down that ban as unconstitutional. Again, this was at a district court in Texas, and then there was a question back and forth about what the scope of that injunction was, who was going to be protected by it, and there was some additional briefing In just this past week. Joe O'Connor in the Northern District did the right thing, or so we think, and said that the injunction covers all SAFF and FPC members, both those that are current and any future members. So any member that signs up today can be covered by that injunction, and that injunction not only covers current and future members, but it's not restricted geographically, so it covers members all over the country. So that was definitely a great outcome that we were really excited about. Now there was a district court I believe in Connecticut that upheld the law since then, which has the potential, although I saw some misreporting on this in a couple places, it has the potential to create what's called a circuit split, where we have different federal circuit courts coming to different conclusions as to the state of federal law. We're not there yet because we're still waiting on the circuit courts to rule on this case. You know, the ten case is going to go to the Fifth Circuit and the Connecticut case presumably goes to the second Circuit, assuming it's appealed, and so once those circuits rule on it is possible that we get a circuit split and then the Supreme courtal step in and for all what's going on?
Speaker 4: But is there a way to explain it to us who are not lawyers? What we can do now? As a member of Segramenment Foundation, Can I or maybe the real question is should I carry into a post office or do I really want to be fighting a legal battle that's still up in the air and maybe not decided.
Speaker 5: Great question, and we have heard this question a bunch since this injunction came down. So we have to be a little careful here because I can't give out direct legal advice to the general public. I'm an attorney, but I'm not your attorneys. What I'd like to tell folks, So what we can do is we can give the factual circumstances and then also let people know that if they ever have any questions about what they specifically can or can't do, they should talk to an attorney. But here's here's the basics that I can tell folks.
Speaker 4: The injunction.
Speaker 5: There is a court order that says that the federal government is prohibited from enforcing the post office carry ban against you if you are a current member of Second Amendment Foundation or Firearms Policy Coalition, presumably at the time that they try to enforce it. You know, the injunction says current or future members. Presumably the intention there is that what they mean is that you're a member at the time carrying your gun in the post office right now, So that that is a factual statement that I can tell everybody. You are covered by the current state of the injunction. The way it's written injunction is in black and white. It's on our website. You're free to read it. What we don't know is, in practical effect, how the government is going to handle that non enforcement. That could look like a couple of different things. Now, could they let you know, Let's say a federal law enforcement officer finds you carrying a gun in a post office.
Speaker 7: Are they going to ignore it altogether?
Speaker 5: Are they going to stop you and just ask you if you are a member of Second Amendment Foundation and can you show us you know your your membership ID number. Are they going to arrest you and prosecute you and then say that as an affirmative defense you can.
Speaker 4: Depend Yeah, you can defend it on the basis of being on me. So what you're saying is be careful, be circumstance, right right.
Speaker 5: What we're saying is be careful, and that there are still a lot of things that we don't know. So we have, you know, put a bunch of questions to thedj as to exactly how it is they plan on handling this situation, we encourage other folks to do the same thing. You don't contact your local representatives and ask them to get in touch with thej on their behalf. And you know, if we get some formal statements on how they plan on doing with this, that would certainly be helpful.
Speaker 4: But that it's just messy, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It's a little messy, And that's why we want to be very careful because the last thing we want to do is tell folks, yeah, go ahead and do this thing, and then that thing lands them in at least some level of aggravation or harassment by the government that they don't want and we didn't want to unknowingly put them in. So that's why I got to be a little bit careful. And it's still a little legal.
Speaker 4: One, I understand. I understand, all right, Tay, what hold on a second, I gotta take a break. We've got some other cases you want to talk about. And by the way, I'm free to give out free legal advice here because I'm not an attorney, so I can't be just barked. So there you go. That's my position. Almost stick to that. Hey, if gored to join us here, if you called eight to six six talk gun or Tom Talk Gun. I'm Tom Gresham. This is gun Talk.
Speaker 1: Precision isn't a suggestion, It's the standard. The Ruger Precision Rifle is built for the long game, match grade accuracy, fully adjustable chassis, and built to last a lifetime. This isn't just another long range gun. It's a system engineered to go long, shoot tight, and own the podium. Whether it's paper, steel, or out past one thousand, You've got the tool, the Ruger Precision Rifle miles ahead.
Speaker 8: Celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary by competing in the NRA America's Rifle Challenge ARK Across America National competition. Build your skills, challenge friends and family and see where you ran across the country. Enter more than once to improve your score and earn bragging rights on the leaderboard. Every match is a chance to win prizes and sharpen your marchmanship. Learn more at ARC dot NRA dot org. Celebrate and exercise your rights through competition.
Speaker 3: There's more to this world of guns than you realize. Your entry to our world is a clickaway at gun talk dot com. Stay informed and entertained on the latest firearm related topics. Whether it's new guns, training tips, gunsmithing, competition, shooting, self defense, or gun rights news, we cover it all. Visit gun talk dot com. That's gun talk dot com.
Speaker 9: The six arc was developed to provide increased performance in the M four AR fifteen platform. The six Arc pushes a ninety grain dual performance at twenty six hundred and fifty feet per second with over one thy four hundred foot pounds of energy. The monolithic solid copper bullets design allows pedals to separate after impact, spreading to create wound tracks and significantly adding to terminal performance. This round is an exceptional option for your modern sporting rifle. Black Hill's ammunition The power of Performance.
Speaker 1: Ruger our EXAM self defense focused. When things go sideways, your gear better go forward. The Ruger RXAM is built for real world defense. Simple, intuitive and ready when you are with a flat face trigger for consistent control, excellent ergonomics and reliability. You can bet your life on. The RXAM makes no excuses. One of Ruger's most versatile and modular designs. The RXAM is ready because when it's go time, you won't have time.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back with Bill Sack, he's the director of Legal Operations for the Second Amendment Foundation, and that we were just talking about the post office case. It's a really good example, just one of many reasons it'd be advantageous for people to belong to the Second Amendment Foundation. It's not expensive and it's worthwhile if you would. Can you pick out maybe a couple of other cases that we should be paying attention to or that you think, you look at it and go, these could be really consequential.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean, that's that's easy. So probably the biggest ones that are going to affect the most people all over the country are probably represented by the fact that we've got five cases right now sitting at the front door of the Supreme Court, and it really tackles kind of the i think three of the biggest issues that we're tackling kind of nationwide. So we've got two assault weapons ban cases sitting before the Supreme Court seeing if they're interested in finally biting on an assault weapons ban case. We've got a case called Vivermontes, which is out of Cook County, Illinois, like the Chicago area and Illinois, they are assault weapons span. And then we have a case called Grant v. Ravella, which is our assault weapons ban case out of Connecticut. Both of those are just sitting on the Justice's desks. If they choose to take that case, we'd be thrilled or both for that matter. We also have two cases about young adults. So young adults in this country face all sorts of unconstitutional gun control purely based on their age. And typically it's folks that are between eight age eighteen and twenty because a lot of gun rights, for whatever reason, they're hidden behind like a paywall, so to speak, until you turn twenty one. And that doesn't make any sense. That's not how constitutional rights work. When you become a legal adult, you get all of the rights supported to you by the Constitution, if not sooner, but certainly by the time you're eighteen. So we've got two cases at the Supreme Court about that issue. We have a case called Staff the Paris coming out of my home state of Pennsylvania. And then we have another case that was called Brown v.
Speaker 6: ATF.
Speaker 5: I believe it's now called Western Virginia Citizens Defense League the ATF, and that's about the young adult handgun purchase ban, which is a federal law. You know, most young rights or gun people that have been gun people for a long time know that you can't go just buy a handgun from a gun shop until you turn twenty one. Well, we've got two lawsuits challenging that. One lawsuit struck it down, one lawsuit upheld it. So we have a so called circuit split there, and so we're really hopeful that the Supreme Court takes that issue up because.
Speaker 4: And Bill, I wish you had to let people know. Weirdly enough, it may not be legal for an eighteen year old to buy a handgun from a dator, but it's perfectly legal for an eighteen year old to own a handgun right absolutely.
Speaker 5: So what you have is you have rights that are differentiated by what state you live in. In some states, you can buy handgun at age eighteen in a private transaction, and some you can get them from an interfamilial gift. You know, if your father wants to gift you a handgun, they're free to do so. And then in some states, based on state law, you can't do any of the above, and so you're completely foreclosed from being able to acquire, you know, the very essential firearm of self defense. As hell are discussed that your constitutional rights guarantee you and that simply can't be the case. So we're excited to see the Supreme Court date take that up. You know, we could have answers about all of these things as soon as tomorrow. And then you know, another really exciting series of cases that we have right now. We have three cases that we're supporting right now challenging the NFA. So, as I'm sure your readers and viewers and listeners are aware, you know, the one big beautiful bill cut the tax burden for a number of different categories of firearms under the NFA from two hundred dollars to zero, and we have since sued saying, well, all of the other registration hurdles, you know, the fingerprinting and all that other nonsense is now on constitutional as a result. So we're trying to get SBRs and silencers taken out of the NFA entirely. We've got three cases in three different federal courts challenging exactly that, and we're excited about all three of those whose We think if we can get that stuff struck down, boy, it would it'd be great to have whatever barrel length and whatever silencer you want and just go in and buy it the way you do anything else.
Speaker 4: Well, exactly, right, So, I mean, and these are just a few other cases you have going. And one of the things you mentioned is, you know, you work with other gun rights groups, and I think a lot of the people may not be aware or maybe they know a little bit more about it now, is that's very common to work with Fire's Policy Coalition or the NRA or Gunnos of America. And so there's a lot of interaction between the various gun rights groups, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: You know, we we have found that the other gun rights groups and almost overwhelmingly agree with us on a lot of things. And we're all pulling in the same direction, and so anytime we can help each other out, Uh, it makes sense for us to do that, to work as a united front. You know, we're all on the same team here. So anytime we can be a good neighbor and invite folks on cases that we're putting together or vice versa, Yeah, we are always happy to do that. We have some fantastic partners, some of which that you mentioned, and yeah, it's a great thing. I think, you know, ultimately it spreads out the expense of these sorts of lawsuits across the various organizations, because look, lawyers aren't cheap.
Speaker 4: No kid, Hey Bill, let me adam, I got, I got, I just got a little bit of time left. Let me put in a plug here too, for the Secondmendment Foundation and the Gun Rights Policy Conference. If you go to g RPC this year, you'll hear from people like you, Bill Sack, and a lot of other people who are fighting in this battle. I mean, that's that's important. And you can get a ton of information there.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, jrpc's great this year. It's in Dallas, Texas, which is nice and central for folks. It's a nice, big hub airport to get in and out of. It's September twenty fifth to twenty seventh. Registration is open now. It's a very low barrier of entry to register. You get said the whole time you're there, and you get to hear from all the movers and shakers and activists and lawyers and police say, oh, it's great. Everybody there.
Speaker 4: It is great. Bill Sach, thank you so much for joining us here. You're welcome back anytime. I appreciate it so much. All right, eighty six to six talk gun or Tom talk gun, that's our number. I'd love to hear those range of parts. What have you been shooting or have you fought a gun recently?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: What about to you? Tom Gresham? This is gun Talk. If you'd like more of me, and why wouldn't you go over to x formally known as Twitter. I am at gun talk over there, and I post a lot of stuff, a lot oft of links to stories if you want to know more about what's going on, whether it's a Second Amendment or just interesting gun stories, or sometimes I put something up it's just personal. I threw up a video that I shot yesterday. I was out of the back country doing a little flying. I actually had to go fly back and repair a mess that I had made about a month ago. I flew back and landed a dirt strip and it was wetter than I thought, and in taxing my airplane, i'd cut some really deep ruts. I mean the surface was like pudding. It was just nasty and I got out of there, but I left some real ruts in the airstrip and have been able to get back there because the weather's been nasty. Finally got back yesterday, took shovels and rakes, and a couple of us went back and we repaired the airstrip. You know, it's like your mom says, hey, if you make a mess, fix it, get it cleaned up. And so we went back in there and cleaned it all up. But yeah, over on X I posted a pretty neat video of a plane taken off from the back country airstrip. So you take a look at that. So over on X I am at gun Talk. By all means you can give me a call right now. Just call me a Tom Talk gun and it's open lines. If there's a doesn't matter what the subject is. If you just got a question, it does not have to relate to anything we're talking about here. It just needs to be about guns in some form or fashion. Again, Tom Talk Gun is the number. Jeff did that. He's calling out of the Grand Oregon. Hey, Jeff, you're on gun Talk. What's up.
Speaker 7: I recently got a Springfield Hellcat with laser installed at the factory, and it was important for me to get the one installed at the factory because they're below the barrel and don't interfere with the profile of the gun, so you can use the same holster as you would normally use. They don't upon clothing. But okay, I'm blimed. My good eye is twenty slast four hundred bough. I can't see down the barrel of a handgun. And we took this hellcat out and set up a regular square loophole rifle target and got back fifteen steps. That's really accurate fifteen steps anyway. I loaded the magazine with twelve rounds. The first six shots I shot without the laser, and four of the six hit the target, which isn't very good at fifteen paces. Then I activated the laser and all six rounds were within two inches of the bulls I left, right or high whatever, But that's mint it a bad guy, I think, And the laser for someone like me is really important to have.
Speaker 4: So you can't see the gun or the sites very well, but you could see an attacker out further. Am I right?
Speaker 7: Yes? Correct to tell you know what they look like, but I can get their form, and if they're aggressive or not.
Speaker 4: Right, you can put a laser on them. Is this the first so you've had with a laser on it?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I had a couple.
Speaker 7: Let's see Smith and West and m and p s before I went blind and either the market gun shows, you know, and then I went totally blind, and I've been looking for one for several years. This was the first I have found some with after market lasers that they're not what I wanted. I wanted to installed the factory with the light below the barrel so it doesn't interfere with anything else.
Speaker 4: Well, I like the Hellcat too. I think that's a good pistol.
Speaker 7: I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: Well, good, Yeah, I appreciate you sharing that because there are people out there who have degraded vision. May not be legally blind, but they're liquid thinking. Man, I just have a hard time seeing the sites at all. Maybe even with the red dot, even iron sights, and maybe a laser could help. It's certainly worth trying. It's like, why wouldn't you try it right exactly?
Speaker 7: And I watched a video with Masaude Ayub the other day and this was the conversation he was going over was open sites versus a laser, and he said a lot of us older people are stuck on open sites solely. But he said every student that he had had will shoot more accurately using the lasers.
Speaker 4: Very interesting. Well, I stuare appreciate the call, sir. I'm glad that you got something that works for you. Let me talk a second about this idea of you shooting better with a laser. Well, there, we now basically have three I guess you say three types of sighting systems. You could consider iron sights, the red dot or an optical site. It could be a green dot, but we just call them red dots or a laser. So let's review the iron sights. You have a front sight and a rear sight on your pistol, and you've got a target to look at. So now you have three different things to line up at three different focal planes. The rear sight's closest, further out you got to focus on the front site, and further out you got to focus on the bad guy. That's a challenge. It could be mastered, and we obviously do we shoot well with iron sights, a red dot or optical site. Now you've reduced everything to essentially one plane because you could just look at the bad guy and supermpose the dot in the site on that. But that assumes that you can focus on the dot that is twenty inches in front of your face. Something like that. And then there's the laser. You look at the threat, you put the dot on the threat, and press the trigger. I've done some interesting stuff with lasers before even shoot. You get night at fifty yards shooting from the hip with a snubnosed thirty eight revolver. Now that sounds crazy. Fifty yards we're talking half a football field with a two inch barrel thirty eight Special revolver. But here's the thing. Those revolvers are inherently pretty darn accurate. If you put them into a vice, they shoot pretty accurate groups. And if you know how to manipulate a trigger without disturbing the sights, then they're pretty darn accurate. So what we would do is we would do a two handed grip and hold the gun down at waste level, put the laser on the target, and just put a good smooth trigger, press on, and we're hitting steel with great regularity at half a football field with a thirty eight Special revolver. I am here to tell you that it would be more difficult. I'm not saying it's some pop, but more difficult to do that with iron sights. In fact, I was doing it a week or so ago at the revolver shoot and shooting actually LCP the rugers like Compact revolv LCR like Compact Revolver, and I got two out of five hits on it once I figured out the wind was blowing the bullets around, figured out where to hold on that so it can be done. All I'm saying is that the laser is a worthwhile option to consider. It's also not an either or thing. A lot of people I know have lasers on their guns that have iron sights. You use the iron sights when the lighting is good and the laser when the lighting is bad. But and this is a real pro tip for you, if you're going to do that, my suggestion is to adjust the laser so that when you look at your iron sights and you're using your iron sights, you cannot see the laser. It's slightly below where the iron sights are pointing. What's the logic there, Well, the logic is, if the light is good, use your iron sights. If the light is bad, you use your laser. What you don't want to be doing is seeing both of them at the same time in trying to make a decision in the middle of a terrible situation. Which siding system I am I going to use? So you bring the gun up. If you can see the iron sights, you use the iron sights. Simple shoot. If you bring the gun up and you can't see the iron sights because it's too dark, what do you think you're going to do? You're going to pick your head up slightly. And when you pick your head up slightly, oh, look right there, it's the dot from the laser. The iron sights were obscuring it until you move your head up. A fracture of an ens and all of a sudden, there's the laser dot. Press the trigger. Get rid of the problem. Simple as that. Let's go get a rage report. We've got Ned, Francis, I believe Cal and Nan from Idaho? Is it Ned? How you doing?
Speaker 6: It's Ned, Francis, Tom. I am doing well. Thank you. We've talked before about my defender, my nineteen eleven Defender and then a nine millimeter equalizer. Last week we were talking about revolvers. I couldn't get through. I need to tell you when talking wheel guns, it's always been my wife's Model ten. What a sweet little pistol, until I discovered the Smith and Wesson Model sixty five, and I happened to find a good friend of mine said, hey, you got to try this gun. I tried it and I loved it. He has a sixty six. He said, you want to buy the sixty five? I said, little boy? Do I ever? And that is now the gold standard. That is one beautiful piece.
Speaker 4: So what is a Model sixty five?
Speaker 6: Well, it's a three fifty seven I'm putting I'm putting a thirty eight special plus piece through it. Stainless apparently, if I understand correctly the history. FBI used to use a Model thirteen, but it was it was blued. And Model sixty five, I believe, is the stainless version of it, and just smooth as butter. Just a beautiful, beautiful pistol.
Speaker 4: What's the barrel length on yours?
Speaker 6: Nine's four inch?
Speaker 4: Four inch? Okay, you got a four inch three fifty seven. But smartly, you're shooting thirty eight plus ps, which is going to I'll be talking about that a little bit too, about you know, how you get the most use out of a lot of these guns that we have. There not necessarily the most fun to use. When you're using the full house magnums of them right.
Speaker 6: Correct, and which is why back, you know, a few shows back we talked about I went to an equalizer because my hand strength and just the recoil iust having issues with with my forty five, So I went to the other automatic. Rent when I said three fifty versus the thirty eight special, Yes, a lot easier on my hand, a lot cheaper to shoot, and we're just we're still putting holes in paper down range.
Speaker 4: There you go, Net Francis, thank you so much. Great range report on the Smith and Western Model sixty five. All right, I got my own range report. I did a thing. You know, we always talk about being careful about AMMO and make sure you got the right ammal for the right gun and all that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I know, been a lot of times since I've mixed them up, but I had several nineteen elevens out. I have several nineteen elevens. I have nine, forty five and ten, and I was loading on nineteen eleven to take with me. You know that image we have, We've seen him in movies, we seen him in pictures, you know stock photos where we just laugh at them when it shows a gun firing and it shows the bullet in the air, But the bullet they show is not actually a bullet. This entire cartridge, the loaded case. You got the case with the bullet, and the whole thing is flying through the air. We laugh and say that's just the silliest thing. Well, yes, it is silly, but now I know it's possible too. It's a thing because if you take a magazine for nineteen eleven, you got several of them there, and they look the same, and you put it in and it happens to have ten milimeter AMO in it, and you put it near forty five, and you've got the slide locked back after inserting the magazine, and you drop the slide, and then I see this motion, just blur this thing. What was that? And I look and right there on the floor is a completely loaded ten milimeter cartridge. The slide going forward ripped it out of the top of the magazine and through the entire cartridge, through the barrel of the forty five and flinged it or as we say, down style, he flung it all the way out of the gun. So I in essence fired the entire cartridge case, the loaded cartridge out of the gun lesson learned did no that was possible. It also makes a point I was going to get into this lighter and maybe we will the idea of a press check. Had I not seen that, had I not realized that I no longer had did not have a round in the chamber because they went right through the chamber and went out the end of the barrel. I always do a press check. What is that with a semi automatic. I moved the slide back somewhat, just a little bit, so I can look through the ejection port so I can see, or if it's dark, with my finger feel that there's a loaded round in the chamber. It's a little bit controversial. Some people don't like the idea of the press check. I do it just because I want to know, absolutely positively, without a doubt, that I have a loaded around in the chamber of the gun. Then, after I load from a magazine, I take the magazine out of the gun, leaving around in the chamber, and then I put another round on top of the others in the magazine, making sure it's completely loaded. Because I just unloaded the magazine by one where I push, I'll let the slide go forward chambering around, So I want the whole thing fully loaded. But the press check is interesting. We see it in movies now. John Wick does press checks way back when Steven Segahal did press checks in the movies. But who did the first movie press check? There's an argument to be made that it was actually James Khan, the actor in the movie Thief, directed by Michael Mann, one of his very first movies nineteen eighty with a nineteen eleven James Kahn does a press check. And where do you think James Khan learned to do a press check? Here's where we go full circle. James Kahn went to Godsite. Before it was Godsite, it was called the American Pistol Institute. He trained with Jeff Cooper, Colonel Jeff Cooper. I think somebody said they did three days out there, and so when it came time to do the movie, he knew what he was doing. He looked like he knew what he was doing because he had learned it. He had actually shot real nineteen eleven's all arranged with Colonel Jeff Cooper and learned to do a press check, and so they incorporated that into the movie and Michael Mann actually liked to incorporate real stuff. He would encourage him as actors to go get real shooting experience, real training with live guns before they did the movies. It showed up like movies like Heat and other movies. Interesting stuff. So all right, here's the question for you. Do you do a press check when you load your semi automatic pistol before you carry it for protection? If you do, how do you do it? What kind of press check? Our number here is eight sixty six. Talk Gun or Tom Talk Gun. Be right back, Hey, coming up in a few minutes. I want to tell you about a Supreme Court decision that most people are not going to pay any attention to on the second d side, But thanks to Mark Smith for Box's Diner, he connects the dots and it's an important case and Nick could end up making a huge difference in some of these situations where there are lawsuits against gun makers. And yeah, this case has nothing to do with guns, could end up having everything to do. We'll see. One of our previous callers mentioned shooting thirty eights or thirty eight specials in it's three fifty seven. I was actually going to talk about the idea of reduced loads and how helpful they can be. It's not being a whimp to try to find something that has less recoil. To shoot less recoil means it's more fun to shoot, doesn't hurt, easier to control, you don't develop a flinch. Well, we do that already when we shoot thirty eights in a three fifty seven, when we shoot a forty four Special or even a forty four Russian, even less recoil in a forty four magnum. By the way, black Kill's ammunition has the forty four Specials and forty four Russians, and you can shoot those in your forty four magnum, And now it just becomes a pussy cat a little fun to shoot, because, let's face it, nobody don't care how much you are. Nobody really likes shooting a lot of forty four magnium loads. But let's apply that to some other things. If you have to say thirty out six, which is not a huge recoiling rifle, but it's enough, it's probably as much as most people want to shoot. If you handload, or you have a friend who handloads, you can make up some really reduced recoil loads. I mean, there are a number of published recipes from powder companies. They say, look, use this formula and you can have a greatly reduced recoil load. Great for practice going out and just shooting. And the thing to do is you got to shoot a lot, You got to pull the trigger a lot. It's how you get better. You also can buy from some amimo companies reduced recoil loads. I know Remington has some HSM has some maybe some others do, and it doesn't have to be a whole lot. In fact, some of these reduced recoil loads are just fine for hunting. And if you can take twenty percent off the recoil man it makes a big difference and it makes it fun to go out and shoot. Which brings me to the idea that I was having a conversation with a friend of mine this week. We're going to be hunting together this fall, and I was saying, you know, it's where he was wondering about, is should I break in my barrel all my new rifles? Should I do this? Should I do that? I said, you know, there's an awful lot of mental foolishness that goes on with all the doodads and the things we attached to our guns pistols, rifle, shotguns, and all the procedures that we come up with. If this is what the cool kids are doing, I said, but you know, for the most part, most people would be better off going to the range. And in the case of say a hunting rifle firing one hundred rounds, not on the bench, firing a hundred rounds from sitting busines or standing with sticks or prone, or kneeling or leaning over a backpack or whatever, one hundred rounds there will offset an inch of grouping ability. I would take a guy or gal who knows how to shoot and they have a two inch rifle only shoots two inches as opposed to somebody who has a half inch rifle who only shoots off the bench. Because I think when you go out and hunt, chances are you're not going to have a bench with you, and you're going to have to make it happen, whether it's kneeling, sitting, prone, leaning over a backpack or whatever. Once again, I think we tend to worry about the wrong things. Yeah, we'll talk about that just a bit as well. My number here is eight sixty six talk Gun or Tom talk Gun. If you aren't checking style, you can go to gun talk dot com. Also, we have lots of videos over on YouTube and Facebook.
Speaker 5: Bewrite back.
Speaker 4: Did you know the